PDA

View Full Version : NHC Voice of Rugby dies. (merged)

Spike Mandela
19-01-2010, 05:57 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8468319.stm

Can't stand Rugby but this guy made it almost bearable!

tony higgins
19-01-2010, 05:59 PM
R.i.p.

sticky windaes
19-01-2010, 06:15 PM
grew up listening to this guy. one of the best commentators ever of any sport. but no one could touch him when it came to rugby......sleep easy bill

O'Rourke3
19-01-2010, 06:17 PM
R.I.P. and condolences to the family. Well used epithet but he was real gent. Had a great hour with him when we were both on a late plane south,

Jim44
19-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Bill was one of the most natural and knowledgeable sports commentators ever. RIP

iwasthere1972
19-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Totally agree. He could make a dull match sound entertaining.

I'm actually quite suprised that he was not awarded a knighthood for his services to the sport.

RIP Bill.

greenlex
19-01-2010, 06:27 PM
He was a friend of my brother in law. Had the pleasure of his company round Hawick Golf Course (Vertish Hill) once. A true Gentleman who had no pretences. RIP Big Guy.

Hakim Sar
19-01-2010, 06:31 PM
He was a friend of my brother in law. Had the pleasure of his company round Hawick Golf Course (Vertish Hill) once. A true Gentleman who had no pretences. RIP Big Guy.

Yeah he was a hawicker - I ahve family from there and he was popular guy.

RIP

Sas_The_Hibby
19-01-2010, 06:53 PM
The least biased commentator of any sport, IMO. He just loved to see good rugby, whoever played it and his enthusiasm always showed through.

basehibby
19-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Bill McLaren RIP - what a character he was - always loved listening to him - a legend among commentators :cool2:

lyonhibs
19-01-2010, 06:55 PM
As I said elsewhere, an absolute legend, and meritous of that title IMHO.

Nigh on 50 years of commenting on rugby, and not for 1 second of the commentary I heard was predictable, repititive or dull.

It's a bit of a nonsense that he never got a Knighthood for Services to Sport (not withstanding the fact he was a dedicated primary school teacher in Hawick for 30+ years), but he doesn't need a bauble for HRH to cement his position of the greatest sports commentator ever.

ahibby
19-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I seem to remember when he retired they did a bit about him on telly giving us an insight in to how he lived and missed the job. He had a passion for the sport which rubbed off a bit even on those who don't regularly follow the sport. I admired how he managed to stay seemingly unbiased when he was commenting on Scotland games but his joy in a win and sadness in defeat were often tangible and audible. One of sports gentlemen, RIP.

weecounty hibby
19-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I was at the last match he commentated on at the Millenium Stadium, Wales v Scotland. When it was announced that he was there and it was his last match the whole crowd stood, applauded and sang "Theres only one Bill McLaren". Total legend and never gave a biased commentary even though he was a fiercely patriotic and proud Scot.

CraigHibee
19-01-2010, 08:57 PM
r.i.p chief

used to play rugby when i was younger and went to a good few internationals too, was definately the voice of rugby

roondheid
19-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Rugby's loss

R.I.P.

Kaiser1962
19-01-2010, 09:17 PM
He was a very good coach with the youngsters as well. Did a lot of work in the borders schools at the time when Hawick and Gala were top dogs. Even coached me, a palemerk, the banter was good and was very informative and made running around in the freezing cold and pishing rain fun.

McD
19-01-2010, 09:26 PM
A gent, a legend of the sport, which is no exaggeration, when you hear players and ex-players of foreign and domestic countries talking abt him in a reverance reserved for very few.

As said before, a fantastic commentator, for me, beside peter alliss, the very best, those two gentlemen are the sound their respective sports.

Always managed to maintain his unbiasedness, even when his former pupils, family friends, neighbours, son-in-law and grandson all played for Scotland. Whilst also maintaining such an enthusiam and passion.

Many (if not all) a fitba commentator could learn from this great man.

My condolences to his family.

Hibs Class
19-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Not only an excellent, unbiased commentator, he also knew the laws of his game inside out and that informed his commentary immensely. That may sound like stating the obvious, but it is a huge frustration to me when I hear football commentators, summarisers and half-time "analysts" who make a point and demonstrate only that they don't understand the laws at all.

GloryGlory
19-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Learned to appreciate rugby listening to his dulcet tones. A lesson in professionialism, allied to passion for the sport, to all sports commentators. His refusal as a commentator to criticise referees - "the referee is the sole judge of fact" - is a salutory lesson to all sports commentators, IMO.

Benny Brazil
19-01-2010, 10:48 PM
A proud Teri and proud Scot.

The world is simply poorer for the loss of some people - Bill is one of them.

RIP Bill

Aubenas
19-01-2010, 10:51 PM
God bless him. I'm not a rugby fan but you'd need to be daft not to appreciate his integrity, his understanding of language and his respect for both players and listeners. You couldn't say that about too many current commentators.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
19-01-2010, 11:55 PM
The guy should have got a knighthood in my view. A true gent and Scottish legend. Rugby was diminished when he retired, and now he's away. RIP.

Leithenhibby
20-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I was so sorry to hear that one of the best commentators I can remember has passed away at the age of 86. (so nice that someone got a kick o'the baw).

I recall as a wee boy listening to him commentating on the Scotland International games, and it was probably him making it so exciting that I still love to watch the big games now..Top Bloke..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8468516.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article6994386.ece

Hibs7
20-01-2010, 08:32 AM
As someone else said Bill and Peter Allis are from the same Tin both excellent commentators with no bias whatsoever, I was never into Rugby as a youngster and only really watched the internationals but Bill's commentaries were a pleasure and made the game all the more interesting. RIP, another good Scotsman gone.

weonlywon6-2
20-01-2010, 09:38 AM

it`s good to see this on here as we dont usually discuss aything outside football.
bbc also mentioned it during the manchester derby last night

rip bill