PDA

View Full Version : Chick young column on BBC

dirtydirk
19-01-2010, 02:41 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8468192.stm

Seems like Chick is stunned that a couple of young prospects have the cheek to demand more money from the one and only mighty Glasgow Rangers.

Wonder if he would cause the same sort of fuss if it was a young hot prospect from Hibs or Hearts who were holding out for a better deal after the Daily record touting them for a move to the old firm.

Was it not chick young who had a pop at hibs a few times for knocking back bids from the old firm for some of our young players and accusing Hibs of not giving the youngsters the chance to progress their careers.

Its people like him that's what's wrong with scottish football and they are partly to blame in my opinion for the greed of some of these young players

jacomo
19-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Ah, but what will you say if these two turn up at Hibs? :wink:

TRC
19-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Rangers moaning about young players not signing, holding out for a better deal you've got to be kidding me. How many talents have Rangers wasted by giving them more than they can earn in the lower reaches of the SPL. Walter Smith has the cheek to tell them to wait taste of there own bloody medicine. Case of the big boys stealing there toys boo hoo walter man the ****** up!!

krobertson12
19-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Ah, but what will you say if these two turn up at Hibs? :wink:

id have to say "what the duck". would be funny if we could pay more though

Sylar
19-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Rangers moaning about young players not signing, holding out for a better deal you've got to be kidding me. How many talents have Rangers wasted by giving them more than they can earn in the lower reaches of the SPL. Walter Smith has the cheek to tell them to wait taste of there own bloody medicine. Case of the big boys stealing there toys boo hoo walter man the ****** up!!

I actually agree with Rangers in this case - these guys, despite being obvious prospects, are far from the proven article, yet seem to think they can walk into a Championship/Premiership team for more money, at a very young age. It smacks of idealism on their part, and is a very niave approach.

John Fleck has started 3 games for Rangers this season, and although the media seem to tout this boy as the "Scottish Wayne Rooney", his performances have been far from impressive. Are people going to sign him based on media reputation alone? Don't think so. There haven't been ANY noises about interest from clubs south of the border, so he's being a foolish wee laddie IMO.

Same for young Danny Wilson - a good prospect, but was so bad in his first game for Rangers, that he was subbed after 16 minutes. Granted, he's looked a lot more competent in his recent outings, but good enough and consistent enough to merit a move away from Ibrox to bigger things? Hardly.

Rangers have put a lot of money and work into their youth setup in recent years, and have moulded these players, so why shouldn't they be unhappy that the advances these boys have made in their career thus far, is met with ingratitude, and a demand for more money - If these guys were playing regularly and making telling contributions to the side, you could perhaps understand, but I agree with Chick Young's comment (and I don't often) - I wouldn't demand to be on the same salary as a post-doctoral researcher, when I'm still doing my PhD - you need to hit a certain professional level and build some negotiating power.

Rangers have a well established history of taking players to not use them, but I would argue that they have been less guilty of this in recent years, with Alan Gow being the last example I can think of, whom was taken and not played, unlike Celtic who continue to pillage other SPL clubs annually, all for the purpose of weakening the opposition.

Malthibby
19-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Rankers getting some of their own medicine looks mighty fine to me, I'm afraid. As the OP says, Mr. Young would be singing a different tune were it a couple of Hibee youffs holding out to get a move down the M8.
Let us hope Walter is strangling the ceremonial goat as we speak.
GG

jacomo
19-01-2010, 09:44 PM
id have to say "what the duck". would be funny if we could pay more though

Hibs have a better reputation for giving young players a chance.

I actually agree with Rangers in this case - these guys, despite being obvious prospects, are far from the proven article, yet seem to think they can walk into a Championship/Premiership team for more money, at a very young age. It smacks of idealism on their part, and is a very niave approach.

:agree:

For all that Rangers have been guilty of stealing players from us and others, I do think they have a point. These are teenagers, not established first team players, and should be learning their trade.

Rangers will get compensation if they do go to another club, though, so it's not as if they'll lose them for nothing. Maybe that's the plan? :hmmm:

HibeeDaz6270
19-01-2010, 10:28 PM

John Fleck has started 3 games for Rangers this season, and although the media seem to tout this boy as the "Scottish Wayne Rooney", his performances have been far from impressive. Are people going to sign him based on media reputation alone? Don't think so. There haven't been ANY noises about interest from clubs south of the border, so he's being a foolish wee laddie IMO.

Same for young Danny Wilson - a good prospect, but was so bad in his first game for Rangers, that he was subbed after 16 minutes. Granted, he's looked a lot more competent in his recent outings, but good enough and consistent enough to merit a move away from Ibrox to bigger things? Hardly.

Rangers have put a lot of money and work into their youth setup in recent years, and have moulded these players, so why shouldn't they be unhappy that the advances these boys have made in their career thus far, is met with ingratitude, and a demand for more money - If these guys were playing regularly and making telling contributions to the side, you could perhaps understand, but I agree with Chick Young's comment (and I don't often) - I wouldn't demand to be on the same salary as a post-doctoral researcher, when I'm still doing my PhD - you need to hit a certain professional level and build some negotiating power.

Rangers have a well established history of taking players to not use them, but I would argue that they have been less guilty of this in recent years, with Alan Gow being the last example I can think of, whom was taken and not played, unlike Celtic who continue to pillage other SPL clubs annually, all for the purpose of weakening the opposition.
I think the fact that other clubs , huge clubs such as Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham etc have expressed an interest in these players, gives the 2 players every right to hold out for the best possible deal they can get from rangers, Why shouldnt they? Just because they are young, doesnt mean they should instantly sign. I think in the end, both players will sign, and on a better contract that what has initially been offered. Danny Wilson is seen as a huge prospect, And rangers already turned down a bid from Tottenham from him.

ScottB
20-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Thing is, if they are currently paid like youth players and have been offered new contracts at that level, I could understand them wanting to be paid at a level reflecting their involvement in the first team.

Considering Rangers finances, would it be surprising if these 2 have been offered fairly derisory (for Rangers at least) contracts?

Think this probably says more about the state of Rangers than any ambitions these 2 may be harbouring.

hibeemikey21
20-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Thing is, if they are currently paid like youth players and have been offered new contracts at that level, I could understand them wanting to be paid at a level reflecting their involvement in the first team.

Considering Rangers finances, would it be surprising if these 2 have been offered fairly derisory (for Rangers at least) contracts?

Think this probably says more about the state of Rangers than any ambitions these 2 may be harbouring.

From what I have heard, that is exactly the case. I totally back the young players in terms of their decision. The figure I have read is they were being offered 4% of the wages of the top earners at Ibrox!!!

That is incredible if you are part of the same first team squad, let alone starting 11 as these players, arguably contributing the same on the pitch but earning twenty-five times less than them.

Think it speaks volumes about the financial problems at Rangers than it does about these kids' egos and greed.

red donut
20-01-2010, 01:45 AM
dick dung has never uttered a word of sense in his life.... its good to see the huns suffer cause you know the prick is suffering to....

Speedway
20-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I think the BBC should chop Chick Young's Column.

sahib
20-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I think the BBC should chop Chick Young's Column.

That's a bit harsh. Chick spends most of his time polishing his column.

:offski: