PDA

View Full Version : Stadium durability

Jamesie
19-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Lots of chat about the new East Stand, which will - if built this year - be 15 years younger than the North and South stands.

Anyone got any ideas what kind of life expectancy modern stadia have these days? The North was looking a bit rough round the edges at the end of last season but a team of steeplejacks were employed close-season to tidy it up a bit.

I'm guessing at least 50 years?

Peevemor
19-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Lots of chat about the new East Stand, which will - if built this year - be 15 years younger than the North and South stands.

Anyone got any ideas what kind of life expectancy modern stadia have these days? The North was looking a bit rough round the edges at the end of last season but a team of steeplejacks were employed close-season to tidy it up a bit.

I'm guessing at least 50 years?

The old main stand lasted almost 80 years so, properly maintained, the new stands could probably do the same/more if need be.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Ask Edinburgh district council...

on 2nd thoughts ask the consultants they paid to look into the Meadowbank fiasco.

On 3rd thoughts don't bother :wink:

The jist of the argument IIRC was the cost of maintenance versus relocation with increased facilities, improved access etc.

But makes you think - built for the 1970 Commonwealth games and talk about getting shot of it just over 30 years later.

As an aside I spoke with an architect mate of mine at the time of the Millenium Dome construction. He said the roof there is set to last only 20 years!!! I suppose at least the tax payers wont be paying for the refit!

down the slope
19-01-2010, 08:55 AM
In the case of Tynecastle it's 94 years, but mind you they are going to build the super stand on the back of their champion league wins !.