PDA

View Full Version : Bring On The Dancing Horses

judas
18-01-2010, 08:53 PM
This song by Echo And The Bunnymen was being played on the radio when I was returning from the league cup final against Aberdeen in the 80's.

We were well beaten (3-0).

As we sat in the car silent and dejected, this song came on.

Does anyone else have a song they connect with a Hibs memory?

Danny_Hibee
18-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Is this the way to Amarillo...came on right after the SC semi defeat against Dundee Utd a few years back. Took the lead through a Riordan penalty and lost 2-1.

On a happier note, Ring of Fire always reminds me of the CIS cup win, cant even remember why

Tiocfaidh Ar La
18-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Me and my bro were behind the goals at hampden and started belting out the Ring of Fire tune at CIS final. I reckon there was about a thousand or so doing the same after we started it for a bit during the final! Good times. :agree::thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
18-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I've got a really bizarre one :greengrin

Foreigner 'I wanna know what love is' reminds me of a friendly against Dynamo Moscow at ER. It was a ****in freezing night, and for some reason that song always reminds me of it.

Weird :crazy:

hibsbollah
18-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now-The Smiths
I Hate Myself And I Want to Die-Nirvana
:cool2:

Tiocfaidh Ar La
18-01-2010, 09:06 PM
This one is a bit sad and a tad gay.

Natalie Imbruglia - Torn.

Was played at ER after game on day we were relegated against the Dundee Hibs.

Pish.:grr:

Gala Foxes
18-01-2010, 09:07 PM
March 1978 - Capital Hibs Supporters Club bus driving in to Clydebank ahead of 3-0 win at Kilbowie - Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty

Killie Away 1979 - Working For The Yankee Dollar (Skids) on the Edinburgh West coach radio, think we lost, we always lost there then

.Sean.
18-01-2010, 09:23 PM
The Noisettes- Never Forget You. Played on the bus to Bolton.

Tremendous day out. Best day away watching Hibs for sure.

Memories are hazy though :dizzy:

Gala Foxes
18-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Dizzy by Vic Reeves & Wonderstuff, Radio 1 chart show, Sunday at 7pm ish, traffic jam at Newbridge roundabout (remember that) at end of M8 after Skol Cup win against Dunfermline, surrounded by loads of other Hi-bees hanging out of car windows _ Top Quality memory

erin go bragh
18-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Foreigner 'I wanna know what love is' reminds me of a friendly against Dynamo Moscow at ER. It was a ****in freezing night, and for some reason that song always reminds me of it.

it were freezing and we won 2 nil if i remember correct:wink: might even have been a durie double[but thats pushing it]

An Leargaidh
18-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Before both halves of the Irvine Meadow game the other week they were playing a Lady Gaga song at ER.

I'm not a big fan of her as such although I think she is very talented. It just reminds me of the day and I was enjoying a very good blether about all things HFC with another Hibby I'd just bumped into on the way down from the train station.

Just one of those "that time, that moment, that music" type of things. If anyone can remember what Lady Gaga song it was can you let me know. Ta! :greengrin

Cammy

Largs Hibby On Tour :cool2:

hibsdaft
18-01-2010, 10:26 PM
This song by Echo And The Bunnymen

great song.

Hibernian Verse
18-01-2010, 10:28 PM

This is weirder - I was just watching Limmy's Show on BBC Two and as I read your post "I wanna know what love is" came on. Now that is just strange.

:dizzy:

HibeeMcGinn1
18-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Chelsea Dagger from the Cup final v Killie and also from the same match U2 Its beautiful day, I remember everyone leaving around that time and i just wanted to keep partying. what a night

Hainan Hibs
18-01-2010, 10:35 PM
That "one more time, we're gonna celebrate" song reminds me of the 2001 Cup Final vs Celtic, they played it at the end, the radio gets turned off/switched channels everytime that crap comes on :grr::boo hoo:

Beautiful Day reminds me of the 2007 CIS Cup Final:thumbsup:

Also the "magic atmosphere" song reminds me of standing in the FF stand looking out at the pitch and surrounding area of ER at the half times during Mowbray's era.

EH6 Hibby
18-01-2010, 10:42 PM
The White Stripes song. I don't think I need to say what game! :boo hoo:

Carheenlea
18-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Not long after Rangers got their big screens fitted, we were through there and I remember a fine video and a high quality pulsating sound as New Order "Blue Monday" (Hardfloor Remix version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEBZpZ8j1Rs blasted out loudly before the game. The video was mesmerising in the gloom, but whoever was in charge of the tunes at Ibrox must have been shortly dispatched in favour of Andy Cameron and his polyester suit and Rangers sing-a-longs.

Can`t remember the score that day though! But I do remember being in the Broomloan as opposed to the corner. Can`t listen to it now without visualising standing entranced pre-match at Ibrox.

McD
18-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Teenage Kicks -

Everytime I hear it I think if the Dnipro home leg, Grant Stott out MC-ing on the pitch, place was bouncing

:greengrin

Bobo
18-01-2010, 11:15 PM
MacArthur Park always reminds me of being at Easter Road in the late 70's.

It was played for weeks at matches, sometimes both before kick off and at half time!

Guess the DJ liked it or didn't have that many records :greengrin

Cameron1875
18-01-2010, 11:22 PM
CIS cup final 07. Got into the car to travel to hampden and turned the radio on only to be greeted with the proclaimers 500 miles. Knew it was going to be our day from then on. :thumbsup:

A weird one though. Darius- Colourblind reminds me of a time hibs were playing livingston at almondvale! Can't remember if we won.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
18-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Dancing on a pub table in Rose Street in May 1986 singing "The Boys in maroon are the ***** oh the toon..." :greengrin

James70
18-01-2010, 11:30 PM
There was a fantastic atmosphere at ER for the AEK Athens match, probably the best I have experienced for a home game. I remember everyone singing along to Hey Baby by Bruce Channel though I don't think it was the original version.

I started going to ER around 1969 and they regularly played Walk Tall by Val Doonican before the match.

I can also recall away games at Tannadice in the 60s/70s when Scottish Country dance music constantly came over the speakers!

Mixu62
18-01-2010, 11:47 PM
This one is a bit sad and a tad gay.

Natalie Imbruglia - Torn.

Was played at ER after game on day we were relegated against the Dundee Hibs.

Pish.:grr:

Same game. Barbie girl by Aqua. Also p1sh.

DirtyDeeds
18-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Personally its a song called 'To Win Just Once' by an Irish band called Saw Doctors, great song that iv loved since i was a kid, before i actually understood its real meaning. We had it blasting on the coach on the way through to Hampden before the 2001 Cup Final v Celtic. Had finished 3rd, we were destined to win it. The naiveity of being 16!! Have a listen if you have a spare minute, really uplifting!!

Otherwise, heres the lyrics to it. Tell me these lads didnt write that song for every man, woman and child who follows Hibernian FC!!!!

To win just once would be enough
For those who’ve lost in life and love
For those who’ve lost their guile and nerve
Their innocence, their drive and verve
For those who feel they’ve been mistreated
Discriminated, robbed or cheated
To claim one victory inspired
To win just once is their desire

To win just once against the odds
And once be smiled on by the Gods
To race with speed along the track
Break the tape and not look back
To never have considered losing
As if to win is by your choosing
Bare you soul for all to find
An honest heart and an open mind

To Win just once
That would be enough

So come all ye fulltime smalltown heroes
Cast away your inbred fears of
Standing out from all the rest
The cynics and the pessimists
The self-indulgent almost rich
The blatant hurlers on the ditch
Time is passing so come on
And face the ball, the game is on

Hainan Hibs
18-01-2010, 11:53 PM
There was a fantastic atmosphere at ER for the AEK Athens match, probably the best I have experienced for a home game. I remember everyone singing along to Hey Baby by Bruce Channel though I don't think it was the original version.

DJ Otzi remix:greengrin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNsmiqmaEWo

I'll always remember that, ER was literally bouncing, noise was nearly deafening!

C'Mon Hibs, give us a European night to look forward to:notworthy:

crewetollhibee
19-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Going to Skol Cup Final 1991, singing a revised version of The Urban Spaceman by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Da Band. ' We are the mental Hibees, baby, we got class. Hibees ya B*ss !'

lugz
19-01-2010, 12:36 AM
What was the tune played after every goal in the 6-2 game?

H18SScottW
19-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I remember leaving a match we'd lost at Dens Park in the mid-80's (the old slopey terracing behind the goal, and you had to exit under the floodlight!) and their 'DJ' thought it would be funny to play Marillion's "Heart of Lothian" ... must've been because he knew Fish is a big Hibby :dunno: :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Last Christmas by Wham, but with the lyrics substitited for " We are Hibernian FC, we hate Jam Tarts etc." An odd jukebox selection after the 91 cup final. Someome just started singing it and then the whole pub joined in.

Barney McGrew
19-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Beautiful Day reminds me of the 2007 CIS Cup Final:thumbsup:

It reminds me of the 6-2 game - it was the first tune played after the full time whistle IIRC

hibbymark
19-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Billy Joel ... Uptown girl . Early eighties just after i was allowed to go to the up football on my own! Remember it seemed to get played during the warm up every week. Sticks in my memory like the smell of the pies and bovril along with the p*** running down the east!

lapsedhibee
19-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Big Joh.....ohn, Big Bad John.

number 27
19-01-2010, 09:25 AM
It reminds me of the 6-2 game - it was the first tune played after the full time whistle IIRC

:agree::agree:

Not usually a big U2 fan but I will always fondly remember that song for the 6-2 game.

ShanksSaidNo
19-01-2010, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=Hainan Hibs;2314741]That "one more time, we're gonna celebrate" song reminds me of the 2001 Cup Final vs Celtic, they played it at the end, the radio gets turned off/switched channels everytime that crap comes on :grr::boo hoo:

"One more Time" reminds me of the 6-2 game. Dancing to that oming down the stairs at the end of th game is one of my fondest memories.

Also - remember we played Moby "why does my heart feel so bad" after every goal of the 6-2 game. Superb.

greenlex
19-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Personally its a song called 'To Win Just Once' by an Irish band called Saw Doctors, great song that iv loved since i was a kid, before i actually understood its real meaning. We had it blasting on the coach on the way through to Hampden before the 2001 Cup Final v Celtic. Had finished 3rd, we were destined to win it. The naiveity of being 16!! Have a listen if you have a spare minute, really uplifting!!

Otherwise, heres the lyrics to it. Tell me these lads didnt write that song for every man, woman and child who follows Hibernian FC!!!!

To win just once would be enough
For those who’ve lost in life and love
For those who’ve lost their guile and nerve
Their innocence, their drive and verve
For those who feel they’ve been mistreated
Discriminated, robbed or cheated
To claim one victory inspired
To win just once is their desire

To win just once against the odds
And once be smiled on by the Gods
To race with speed along the track
Break the tape and not look back
To never have considered losing
As if to win is by your choosing
Bare you soul for all to find
An honest heart and an open mind

To Win just once
That would be enough

So come all ye fulltime smalltown heroes
Cast away your inbred fears of
Standing out from all the rest
The cynics and the pessimists
The self-indulgent almost rich
The blatant hurlers on the ditch
Time is passing so come on
And face the ball, the game is on

Great Song by a great band. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Beautiful day reminds me of the travel through to the 2001 cup final and Mr Brightside brings a smile to my face every time I hear it as the play it nearly every visit to ER. :agree:

Spike Mandela
19-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Why does my Heart feel so bad - Moby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylb9qAhlZlM&feature=related

Mibbes Aye
19-01-2010, 08:24 PM
"Dreams" by Gabrielle.

In Buster Browns after the '93 League Cup Final defeat. Quite a few players were in (more so squad and younger ones IIRC).

As I recall, it was a danced-up remix of the tune, that I've never heard since. It wasn't a timeless classic :greengrin

Was still a great day and night out, despite the result. The original version of the song always takes me straight back to the memories of it.

e.g. Richard Gough :bitchy:

Was it ever proven? :devil: :greengrin

Spike Mandela
19-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Singing " Ten men went to ****, went to **** the Jambos" the night that Archibald scored at Tynie.

Then back to a club in Alloa and standing on the seats singing along to 'Real gone kid' by Deacon blue and also getting horsed out for singing Hibs songs.

Happy Days:thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
19-01-2010, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Spike Mandela;2315511]Singing " Ten men went to ****, went to **** the Jambos" the night that Archibald scored at Tynie.

Then back to a club in Alloa and standing on the seats singing along to 'Real gone kid' by Deacon blue and also getting horsed out for singing Hibs songs.

Happy Days:thumbsup:

Remember it well Spike, you still didn't buy a round!!!

weecounty hibby
19-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Chelsea Dagger after the 07 cup final win. Was a great day for our football club and I have some very personal memories about the day as well which my close friends will understand. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Sick Boy
19-01-2010, 09:29 PM
The White Stripes song. I don't think I need to say what game! :boo hoo:

Same. Used to love it but can't listen to it at all any more.:bitchy:

On a brighter note, Sunshine On Leith is perhaps a rather obvious one but I've never experienced anything like the magnificent sing-along after the CIS Cup Win in '07.

Broken Gnome
19-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Chelsea Dagger after the 07 cup final win. Was a great day for our football club and I have some very personal memories about the day as well which my close friends will understand. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Then a month later, and two trips to Hampden later, it took a more sinister turn.... :boo hoo:

millarco
19-01-2010, 10:51 PM
My mate played 'How To Disappear Completely' by Radiohead whilst watching that semi-final against Hearts, was quite fitting.

On a lighter note, as others have said Beautiful Day from the 6-2 game. It was my first derby and I sitting in the west lower I can just remember looking at everyone behind me at the final whistle with this playing and everyone going mental. They also played Let Me Entertain You at the start IIRC.

Chelsea Dagger from 2007 as well, though it's been played at most finals.

Green forever
19-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Dizzy by Vic Reeves & Wonderstuff, Radio 1 chart show, Sunday at 7pm ish, traffic jam at Newbridge roundabout (remember that) at end of M8 after Skol Cup win against Dunfermline, surrounded by loads of other Hi-bees hanging out of car windows _ Top Quality memory

Probably my abiding memory as well (though on a different bus), I think that was the week that it knoked Byan Adams, Everything I Do off the number 1 spot after about 18 weeks or so.

I'm_cabbaged
20-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Pretty sure it was this, only from about the 4th goal though if I can mind right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBCkoDJkIOc

lugz
20-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Pretty sure it was this, only from about the 4th goal though if I can mind right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBCkoDJkIOc

Nice one :thumbsup:

Love that song, its now been downloaded :greengrin