PDA

View Full Version : NHC no punishment for Henry

RoslinInstHibby
18-01-2010, 04:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8464797.stm

matty_f
18-01-2010, 04:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8464797.stm

Quite right. Players handle the ball all the time. At worst he should have gotten a retrospective yellow card, but if FIFA/UEFA were going to do that then they'd have to book all instances of handball that cameras capture when the ref's missed it.

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 04:42 PM
What an unbeliavable lucky laddie.

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 04:51 PM
No one gave a **** when Maradona did it!

When it first happened I was quite supportive of Ireland being given a replay but I knew that FIFA would be too spineless for setting a precedent for cheating of this kind.

It's over and done with now though. The existing rules say they can't do anything so they were never going to.

We need to put something in place to stop this type of cheating now because it is costing people too much, not only in money but in personal experiences etc. There's no doubt some player won't get another chance at a WC despite them getting so close.

The media, not the Irish, are starting to get on my tits now. The BBC article, yesterday I think, stated that Ireland were cheated out of a world cup spot. There was no guarantee they'd have gone through!

anon1
18-01-2010, 04:52 PM
The Irish can put all their Maradona 86 shirts away now at least :greengrin

Andy74
18-01-2010, 04:53 PM
What an unbeliavable lucky laddie.

Why? He handled the ball and it should have been a free kick. What did he do to deserve a punishment which was greater than a free kick being given or a yellow card being issued??

A lot of people got a bit carried away with the personalisation of this offence. It isn't Henry's job to ref the game.

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Why? He handled the ball and it should have been a free kick. What did he do to deserve a punishment which was greater than a free kick being given or a yellow card being issued??

A lot of people got a bit carried away with the personalisation of this offence. It isn't Henry's job to ref the game.

Fair enough, think it was the magnitude of the game which makes me think Henry was lucky, but like you say its the refs decision to spot these incidents.

Harsh on ROI. but thats fitba i suppose.

Mikey_1875
18-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Quite right, at the end of the day the offence commited is just a handball.

He will have had enough verbal grief to last him a while anyway.

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2010, 05:53 PM
He does not deserve a punnishment because if some takes a free kick from the wrong position and scores it is the same thing.

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 05:56 PM
He does not deserve a punnishment because if some takes a free kick from the wrong position and scores it is the same thing.

How is it?!

Both are obtaining an unfair advantage but it is more deceptive what Henry did.

BTW, how funny was the derby when Deeks moved the ball forward when the ref wasn't looking and then made them move back. :LOL:

hibiedude
18-01-2010, 05:57 PM
I think this decision sends out the wrong message

Cheats are not supposed to win :confused:

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Nice guys finish last mate!

Just have a look back to the Italy vs Australia game when Italy won the World Cup. Disgusting.

matty_f
18-01-2010, 06:13 PM

It's not cheating - it's a foul and no more than that. If the ref had spotted it he'd have been booked and Ireland would have got a free kick, and that would have been the end of it.

I take it the Irish never commited any fouls throughout the game?

Pretty Boy
18-01-2010, 06:30 PM
It's not cheating - it's a foul and no more than that. If the ref had spotted it he'd have been booked and Ireland would have got a free kick, and that would have been the end of it.

I think theres quite a clear distinction between a foul and deliberately handling the ball.

However i do agree with you that the matter should have been closed a long time ago. Referees are human, they make mistakes and until the blazers realise that video technology is the way forward then these issues will continue to arise.

ancient hibee
18-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Typical FIFA to have a committee meeting over a matter on which they can't adjudicate as the only retrospective offence from handling is if a goal has been prevented.Still no doubt expenses and trebles all round.

NOLA
18-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Good! Long live TT!:not worth

hibiedude
19-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Sorry Matty I don't agree it was never a foul he clearly cheated to gain an advantage he deliberately handling the ball.
His actions after the game and his apologue told us he cheated

The recent Bloodgate incident in Rugby is the answer to cheats

I truly believe if the hand ball incident went against France something would have been done.

I treat it same way when players dive or fake injury to get another player sent off.

Time for the video ref I think

Calvin
19-01-2010, 06:13 AM
I think that it is no worse than a professional 'last man' foul.

Say France were 1-0 up, and Robbie Keane was through on goal, definitely going to score and then William Gallas chops him down. It's a red card and dealt with there and then. They do nothing from the free kick and head out of the World Cup. I bet there would be no outrage there as it's part of football and properly dealt with at the time.

The issue isn't the cheating I think, but the fact that the ref missed it. I don't think that you can particularly blame Thierry.

hibiedude
19-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Any game should never be about who can cheat best and get away with it.

Should the world cup final be won by the team that dived the best.

The technology is there to clean the game up why not use it.

Posh Swanny
19-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I think that it is no worse than a professional 'last man' foul.

Say France were 1-0 up, and Robbie Keane was through on goal, definitely going to score and then William Gallas chops him down. It's a red card and dealt with there and then. They do nothing from the free kick and head out of the World Cup. I bet there would be no outrage there as it's part of football and properly dealt with at the time.

The issue isn't the cheating I think, but the fact that the ref missed it. I don't think that you can particularly blame Thierry.

Ronald Koeman got away with something similar in 1993 against England. And promptly went up the other end and opened the scoring two minutes later!

lapsedhibee
19-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Ronald Koeman got away with something similar in 1993 against England. And promptly went up the other end and opened the scoring two minutes later!

That's strange. I don't remember any English commentator mentioning that at the time, or since.

Peevemor
19-01-2010, 09:57 AM
This whole thing is a load of crap IMHO. Henry committed a foul, but the error was made by the match officials. The game was never going to be replayed because of the precedent that would be set.

Posh Swanny
19-01-2010, 09:59 AM
That's strange. I don't remember any English commentator mentioning that at the time, or since.

I'm not surprised. They don't have time, what with the constant jibber-jabber about 1966.

matty_f
19-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Sorry Matty I don't agree it was never a foul he clearly cheated to gain an advantage he deliberately handling the ball.
His actions after the game and his apologue told us he cheated

The recent Bloodgate incident in Rugby is the answer to cheats

I truly believe if the hand ball incident went against France something would have been done.

I treat it same way when players dive or fake injury to get another player sent off.

Time for the video ref I think

The bloodgate incident was totally different as it was pre-meditated and calculated.

Henry handled the ball in a split second and got away with it. Players do it every week, some get caught, some don't.

It was hard luck on Ireland, and a shan way to exit the tournament - but Henry never cheated as such. What he did, if it had been seen by the referee, would have earned him a yellow card.

There are thousands of examples where players have done something against the rules to gain an advantage, from stealing yards at a free kick, or not retreating the full 10 yards in the wall, to goalkeepers moving forward before a penalty kick is taken etc...

No way should there even be a consideration of the game being replayed, or Henry being retrospectively punished for it.

lyonhibs
19-01-2010, 01:24 PM
This whole thing is a load of crap IMHO. Henry committed a foul, but the error was made by the match officials. The game was never going to be replayed because of the precedent that would be set.

:agree: :agree:

Crock of *****e.

I read the reaction on here before I actually saw the incident, so looked it up on Youtube, expecting to see TH had picked the ball up, run with it before rolling it along the ground for Gallas to smash in.

Imagine my shock when, in fact, the defender in front of him misses the ball and hits his hand, which was extended as it was anyway.

The next handball happened about 0.5 seconds later, and was a purely phyiscal reactin to getting hit on the inside of his wrist. Try it yourself, hit the inside of your wrist and watch what naturally happens to your hand.

It naturally move forward a bit, in the way that Henry's did - he's not a Jedi Knight!!

Not particularly fair, but a whole lot of squealing and bleating about nothing more than a handball.

God Petrie
19-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice guys finish last mate!

Just have a look back to the Italy vs Australia game when Italy won the World Cup. Disgusting.

Italy won the World Cup because they were the most well organised team in the competition - not because of some dodgy penalty against Australia.

HibbyAndy
19-01-2010, 01:29 PM
:agree: :agree:

Crock of *****e.

I read the reaction on here before I actually saw the incident, so looked it up on Youtube, expecting to see TH had picked the ball up, run with it before rolling it along the ground for Gallas to smash in.

Imagine my shock when, in fact, the defender in front of him misses the ball and hits his hand, which was extended as it was anyway.

The next handball happened about 0.5 seconds later, and was a purely phyiscal reactin to getting hit on the inside of his wrist. Try it yourself, hit the inside of your wrist and watch what naturally happens to your hand.
It naturally move forward a bit, in the way that Henry's did - he's not a Jedi Knight!!

Not particularly fair, but a whole lot of squealing and bleating about nothing more than a handball.

Ok i just tried that:greengrin