PDA

View Full Version : NHC Liverpool

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Who hinks they will get 4th place this season? will the big 4 be broken this season? i think Man city will take 4th place, i dont even think Liverpool will take 5th place as Spurs will get that IMO.

Nae Gerrard for a few weeks, Nae Torres for 6 weeks, the 2 players that are the heartbeat of the team, Rafa's statement that he will 'gaurentee' Liverpool finish in the top 4 might come back to bite him on the erchie :greengrin

JimBHibees
18-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Who hinks they will get 4th place this season? will the big 4 be broken this season? i think Man city will take 4th place, i dont even think Liverpool will take 5th place as Spurs will get that IMO.

Nae Gerrard for a few weeks, Nae Torres for 6 weeks, the 2 players that are the heartbeat of the team, Rafa's statement that he will 'gaurentee' Liverpool finish in the top 4 might come back to bite him on the erchie :greengrin

I think they will be 5th as like you think Man City will take 4th. Quite impressed with Mancini and the way he goes about things. Liverpool have IMO a lot of dross in their squad or Rafa isnt getting the best out of them. He is a very talented tactician however far too negative in alot of games. Hope Man City get 4th.

hfc rd
18-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Liverpool are really poor this season. I think if Benitez gets sacked, then Torres will ask to leave aswell. I think Tottenham or Man City will get 4th this season.

Steve20
18-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I think they will get 4th place in the end. They have been shocking for most of the season and are still only four points behind. The other teams have failed to take advantage and I still think Liverpool might hit a wee run of wins.

Baw187
18-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately not. :boo hoo:

The americans need to sell up to someone who wants to actually take the club forward and build on the fantastic brand that the club has. Hopefully that would also result in Benitez getting his marching orders. The usueless bass that he is. :grr:

Sir David Gray
18-01-2010, 12:51 PM
There is absolutely no chance of Liverpool making the top four this season.

Bad Martini
18-01-2010, 12:52 PM
There's no chance unless someone sends Raffa on a trip for a long stand, bolts the city gates and keeps the wee radge oot harms way beside Blobby with his Odeon entertainment views.

We also need Torres and Gerrard as you note; this will not be happening in the immediate short term thus, we are ****ed.

That's reality son. Nae bull****. This season is over for Liverpool, even if they do end up doing "something" in the Uefa Cup (even that, is unlikely) (and yes pedants, I know its not the Uefa Cup any mair...:greengrin)

P.S. I'd still rather follow the Anfield Reds and be utter ***** than glory hunt the Manchester or London muppets that so many have followed "all their lives" roughly translated as "when they started winning...." :greengrin . It's kinda like following Hibs at times, it's not easy but it's the right thing to dae.

ENDOF

Sylar
18-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Aston Villa, Man City and Spurs will all finish above Liverpool this season.

Possibly Birmingham City too, if they can keep up their recent momentum.

Mikey_1875
18-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't think they will but reckon they will still be up there. In crisis now and still only 4 points adrift.

Would be nice to see Villa or Spurs get it. Reckon it will be city though.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2010, 12:57 PM

:agree: Never mind the top four, unless Torres and Gerrard are available for the vast majority of their games between now and the end of the season, Liverpool will be lucky to finish in the top half of the league.

RoslinInstHibby
18-01-2010, 12:58 PM
does anyone think that a comfortable win for Spurs on wednesday will see the end of Rafa?

The_Todd
18-01-2010, 01:08 PM
City aren't a shoo-in for 4th either mind, they were terrible against Everton. They're still very beatable.

Spurs for 4th it is then who were unlucky to not comfortably beat Hull.

Bad Martini
18-01-2010, 01:08 PM
does anyone think that a comfortable win for Spurs on wednesday will see the end of Rafa?

I don't know but for the first time ever, I'd take a defeat if it meant that wee scrote was booted right oot the door faster than you can say "The Odeon's that way wee man, nae entertainment here" :greengrin

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Liverpool are *****. :greengrin

Whilst Benitez has made a few cracking signings he's wasted millions and not delivered the league which is all the fans really want.

Why anyone would spend 20 million on an injured, unproven EPL player to be the mainstay in their side after losing someone of Alonso's quality, I have no idea.

IMO Torres is now their most important player ahead of Gerrard. When both of them are out they're crap. Their desperation to keep Torres in the side in spite of injuries is pathetic. I wouldn't be surprised if Benitez could be damaging Torres' career to save his own.

Baw187
18-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't know but for the first time ever, I'd take a defeat if it meant that wee scrote was booted right oot the door faster than you can say "The Odeon's that way wee man, nae entertainment here" :greengrin

:agree::top marks

Get him tae ******.

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2010, 01:18 PM
There's no chance unless someone sends Raffa on a trip for a long stand, bolts the city gates and keeps the wee radge oot harms way beside Blobby with his Odeon entertainment views.

We also need Torres and Gerrard as you note; this will not be happening in the immediate short term thus, we are ****ed.

That's reality son. Nae bull****. This season is over for Liverpool, even if they do end up doing "something" in the Uefa Cup (even that, is unlikely) (and yes pedants, I know its not the Uefa Cup any mair...:greengrin)

P.S. I'd still rather follow the Anfield Reds and be utter ***** than glory hunt the Manchester or London muppets that so many have followed "all their lives" roughly translated as "when they started winning...." :greengrin . It's kinda like following Hibs at times, it's not easy but it's the right thing to dae.

ENDOF

So BM, I take that you, as an Edinburgh man, started 'following' Liverpool Football Club when they were unsuccessful and winning nothing, but were attracted to the club purely by the nice red strips and the off-beat self-deprecating gritty humour of the scouser?:faf:

houston1875
18-01-2010, 02:09 PM
If rafa aint the man then who is..klinnsman?
if rafa leaves..real madrid will take him,so will juventus,is he that bad then?
he'e been left to run riot at that club for too long

Stevie G now aint happy seemingly so his days are marked!

houston1875
18-01-2010, 02:15 PM
If rafa aint the man then who is..klinnsman?
if rafa leaves..real madrid will take him,so will juventus,is he that bad then?
he'e been left to run riot at that club for too long

Stevie G now aint happy seemingly so his days are marked!

RoslinInstHibby
18-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Liverpool are *****. :greengrin

Whilst Benitez has made a few cracking signings he's wasted millions and not delivered the league which is all the fans really want.

Why anyone would spend 20 million on an injured, unproven EPL player to be the mainstay in their side after losing someone of Alonso's quality, I have no idea.

IMO Torres is now their most important player ahead of Gerrard. When both of them are out they're crap. Their desperation to keep Torres in the side in spite of injuries is pathetic. I wouldn't be surprised if Benitez could be damaging Torres' career to save his own.

i reckon he has only made 2 cracking signings, Torres & Alonso...then he let Alonso go.

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 04:20 PM
i reckon he has only made 2 cracking signings, Torres & Alonso...then he let Alonso go.

:LOL:

I think Kuyt has been a cracking signing for him. I liked the look of Riera (sp), is he still there?

Mascherano was a good signing but not as good as Alonso. Benitez ****ed himself with Alonso by trying to offload him and then when he needed him he pissed off to Real. He probably would have left regardless of that though. Who wouldn't leave them for Real!

persevere1875
18-01-2010, 04:28 PM
My mates a Liverpool season ticket holder, he's already paid up on our bet of Arsenal finishing above Lpool and he's tearing his hair out at the dross their serving up at the moment, spoke to him Saturday after the game and he said its the first time he can honestly say the majority of liverpool supporters at the match were saying they'd lost patience with Rafa and it was time for him to go, If Rafa honestly believes he's got the backing of 75% of the pool support he's got another thing coming..

Rory89
18-01-2010, 04:29 PM

:faf:

You must have a long journey up to watch Hibs every other week, fair play.

I would assume it costs a lot of money, but considering you seem to be saying you're a scouser I'm guessing you steal the petrol.

No they won't all finish above Liverpool, especially the bit about Birmingham City, people always jump to conclusions about the rest of the season going on current form too quickly.

Arsenal
Manchester United
Chelsea
Manchester City

Liverpool
Tottenham
Aston Villa

I'm enjoying the Premiership this year, because there's lots of good teams but no stand-outs.

_hucks_
18-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Almost word for word what I was going to post.

Sylar
18-01-2010, 05:04 PM
No they won't all finish above Liverpool, especially the bit about Birmingham City, people always jump to conclusions about the rest of the season going on current form too quickly.

Arsenal
Manchester United
Chelsea
Manchester City

Liverpool
Tottenham
Aston Villa

I'm enjoying the Premiership this year, because there's lots of good teams but no stand-outs.

Evidently your ability to read the English language is lacking, so I'll emphasise a few words to make it clearer for you:

"POSSIBLY Birmingham City IF they can keep up their current momentum"

I've seen nothing to suggest Liverpool are capable of finishing above Spurs or Aston Villa - they're a 2 man team, and at the moment, those 2 players are absent, and prone to further absences as the season goes on.

You're right with one thing in your post mind you - it's too early to try and definitively state either way.

Billychaotic182
18-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Spurs will get 4th

Rory89
18-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Evidently your ability to read the English language is lacking, so I'll emphasise a few words to make it clearer for you:

"POSSIBLY Birmingham City IF they can keep up their current momentum"

I've seen nothing to suggest Liverpool are capable of finishing above Spurs or Aston Villa - they're a 2 man team, and at the moment, those 2 players are absent, and prone to further absences as the season goes on.

You're right with one thing in your post mind you - it's too early to try and definitively state either way.

Oh dear, don't be like that love, I read your post clearly and stand by my point.

"Possibly". No, imo there is no possibility of Birmingham City finishing higher than Liverpool. Unless "they can keep up their current momentum", but clearly they won't. Birmingham may play well and take a respectable amount of points during the rest of the season but a side like them won't have it in them to finish higher than Liverpool, who will at some point go on a decent run imo.

Liverpool are absolute *****, but they are absolute ***** by the standards of a team who fancied themselves for the title at the start of the season. Birmingham City are a very good side, but they're a very good side by the standards of a team who fancied themselves for 17th at the start of the season.

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2010, 05:50 PM
No chance i think spurs will get it but hope villa do as im a gunner.

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh dear, don't be like that love, I read your post clearly and stand by my point.

"Possibly". No, imo there is no possibility of Birmingham City finishing higher than Liverpool. Unless "they can keep up their current momentum", but clearly they won't. Birmingham may play well and take a respectable amount of points during the rest of the season but a side like them won't have it in them to finish higher than Liverpool, who will at some point go on a decent run imo.

Liverpool are absolute *****, but they are absolute ***** by the standards of a team who fancied themselves for the title at the start of the season. Birmingham City are a very good side, but they're a very good side by the standards of a team who fancied themselves for 17th at the start of the season.

I quite like reading your posts but this is just a load of *****. How can you say there is no possibility of Birmingham finishing above Liverpool? That's your opinion but you're stating it as fact here.

Liverpool aren't the same side as they were last year, that is evident through player changes and terrible results.

I'm guessing 12 games ago there would have been no possibility of Birmingham being in the position they are now due to their poor start to the season.

Whilst I agree that it's difficult to maintain that form no one knows til the end of the season.

Musselbound
18-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Liverpool have been very poor but I think it's a bit early to be writing them off. I think they will still be there or thereabouts for the top 4, but if I had to bet on it then I think Man City under Mancini might just have enough in their locker to edge them out - so City fourth and Liverpool fifth for me.

iwasthere1972
18-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Think the scousers will struggle to claim 4th spot especially with the "big" players that they have out injured. Can see Torres wanting away soon and Liverpool cashing in on Gerrard while they can. The next couple/few seasons could be extremely difficult for them on and off the field.

The last champions league spot should be between Villa, Spurs and Man City. Hard to call but I hope it's not Man City. :greengrin

To summarise - NAW. :wink:

PISTOL1875
18-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Rafa will never get sacked.. It will cost Liverpool £25Million to get rid of him..

iwasthere1972
18-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Rafa will never get sacked.. It will cost Liverpool £25Million to get rid of him..

Here's me thinking you had just come on here to slate me for not wanting Man City to get in the top four. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 06:56 PM

And it will cost them MORE than that if they fail to make CL.

Punt him now and get Mark Hughes in, that would go down well with the Pool fans :greengrin

PISTOL1875
18-01-2010, 07:00 PM
And it will cost them MORE than that if they fail to make CL.

Punt him now and get Mark Hughes in, that would go down well with the Pool fans :greengrin

If they don't make the CL then they WILL be Donald Ducked.. Hopefully City will then sign Mascherano or Torres.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
18-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Here's me thinking you had just come on here to slate me for not wanting Man City to get in the top four. :greengrin

No no no no... I'm bothered about that.. Everybody has there opinion mate.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ancient hibee
18-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Can I have a "who gives a stuff" option please?

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 07:04 PM
If they don't make the CL then they WILL be Donald Ducked.. Hopefully City will then sign Mascherano or Torres.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Liverpool with a hun reject like Kyrioakos (sp?) in the team shouldnt be anywhere near a CL place.:faf:

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Can I have a "who gives a stuff" option please?

Dinnae read the thread then?

ancient hibee
18-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Dinnae read the thread then?
I want to exercise my democratic right to a vote -so get it altered or there may be bad things ahead.

Barney McGrew
18-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Spurs will finish fourth, they've been the most consistent and Harry's no mug.

Liverpool to finish fifth, if they don't start picking up wins Rafa will get punted and a new boss will get them turned around. Either way they'll still be there or thereabouts.

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I want to exercise my democratic right to a vote -so get it altered or there may be bad things ahead.

:wink:

PISTOL1875
18-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Liverpool with a hun reject like Kyrioakos (sp?) in the team shouldnt be anywhere near a CL place.:faf:

I'd rather have them there than Salford Reds....

ScottB
18-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Wish I'd put a bet on it when I was tipping this in the summer when most folk were tipping em for the title!

Rory89
18-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I quite like reading your posts but this is just a load of *****. How can you say there is no possibility of Birmingham finishing above Liverpool? That's your opinion but you're stating it as fact here.

Liverpool aren't the same side as they were last year, that is evident through player changes and terrible results.

I'm guessing 12 games ago there would have been no possibility of Birmingham being in the position they are now due to their poor start to the season.

Whilst I agree that it's difficult to maintain that form no one knows til the end of the season.

I'm not stating it as a fact, I said in my opinion they will not finish higher than Liverpool.

The previous guy took exception to me pointing this out because he only said there was a possibility it could happen if they kept their form up, well in my opinion Birmingham City have a very small chance of keeping this form up, therefore they will be below Liverpool after 38 games.

I really don't see the objection, if I added a Rafa Benetez style "that's a facht" on the end I'd understand.

Woody1985
18-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not stating it as a fact, I said in my opinion they will not finish higher than Liverpool.

The previous guy took exception to me pointing this out because he only said there was a possibility it could happen if they kept their form up, well in my opinion Birmingham City have a very small chance of keeping this form up, therefore they will be below Liverpool after 38 games.

I really don't see the objection, if I added a Rafa Benetez style "that's a facht" on the end I'd understand.

Go back and read it!

You said that they won't all finish above Liverpool, especially the bit relating to Birmingham. He then said that's why he said 'possibly Birmingham'.

I do think that Birmingham will fall away and that Liverpool will finish above them. There's a lot of strong teams this year so anything can happen Fulham and Birmingham have been the surprises for me this season.

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Liverpool are garbage but theres nae dange Birmingham will finish above them.

Man city IMO will take 4th place this season, but you gotta remember they will now be there or there abouts every season competing for the league.

Arsenal are solid financialy and are summit like 1% away from a takeover.

Chelsea = Abromivic, nuff said.

Man yoo :hmmm:

Liverpool = Dire straits.

The big four will not be the big four for too much longer.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
18-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I hope Citeh don't get in the CL. Just another corrupt EPL diddy club.

lapsedhibee
18-01-2010, 08:21 PM
The big four will not be the big four for too much longer.Considering how well EPL teams have done in the Champs League, though, is there not a reasonable chance that they will get 5 places in that, and so a big five will emerge instead? :dunno:

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Considering how well EPL teams have done in the Champs League, though, is there not a reasonable chance that they will get 5 places in that, and so a big five will emerge instead? :dunno:

Thats actually a very good point :agree:

Anyone else care to elaborate on this? CAN the EPL get 5 CL places?

Mag7
18-01-2010, 08:24 PM

ENDOF

Hard to equate the hardship of supporting Hibs with supporting Liverpool surely? Liverpool won the Champions League not so long ago to go along with f*** knows how many other European trophies! I really can't see how supporting them is any less glory-hunting than supporting the likes of Man U. Just because they ain't winning the league every year doesn't mean they've become some sort of plucky wee battlers fighting the big boys. They're still a giant of the game which IMHO makes all these years in the title wilderness a good thing. I got well sick of them winning it year after year so long may their frustration last. Teams like Liverpool, Celtic and Newcastle have always irritated me with their self-appointed 'special club' status. It's nonsense. They just want success, same as anyone else and supporting them is no more admirable or 'right' than supporting any other team.

Winston Ingram
18-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Spurs will get 4th

:agree::greengrin

PISTOL1875
18-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Corrupt ?? :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Richard Scott
18-01-2010, 10:51 PM
The way they're currently playing, i'd be highly suprised so see them scrape the top 6, never mind the CL spots :yawn:

ScottB
18-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Thats actually a very good point :agree:

Anyone else care to elaborate on this? CAN the EPL get 5 CL places?

No, 4 places is the maximum, the 3 top leagues get 4 places (England, Italy and Spain)

Considering Platini seems to want to increase the number of actual Champions and reduce the rest, and more than a hint of hatred of the EPL I would think 4 is the maximum.

I can see big problems for Liverpool and Man Utd, both are starting to show signs of collapsing under their debt mountains despite high prize money, I would think both would be attractive options for any sheiks running about but still, at this stage it's not impossible one of them could end up in big trouble, with Liverpool looking at little prize money this year and the possibility of no CL cash next year, I think it'll be them.

Baw187
19-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Hard to equate the hardship of supporting Hibs with supporting Liverpool surely? Liverpool won the Champions League not so long ago to go along with f*** knows how many other European trophies! I really can't see how supporting them is any less glory-hunting than supporting the likes of Man U. Just because they ain't winning the league every year doesn't mean they've become some sort of plucky wee battlers fighting the big boys. They're still a giant of the game which IMHO makes all these years in the title wilderness a good thing. I got well sick of them winning it year after year so long may their frustration last. Teams like Liverpool, Celtic and Newcastle have always irritated me with their self-appointed 'special club' status. It's nonsense. They just want success, same as anyone else and supporting them is no more admirable or 'right' than supporting any other team.

I've supported Hibs and Liverpool all my life, both as a result of family ties. I have a large part of my family that live down there and support the reds and hence my support of the team.

Liverpool pretty much won everything while I was too young to really appreciate it. Therefore, since the time I have started really enjoying watching Hibs and Liverpool (since 1993 when I got my first ST at ER) I have not seen Liverpool win much at all !

All through the 90s they were pretty much mid table. They won a couple of league cups but that's all. Then in Houllier days they picked up and won the FA cup, Uefa cup etc and since then have only won 1 more FA cup and a Champions League.

Ok the Champions League was phenomenal but was a total surprise.

I would defo conclude that watching Liverpool in my football supporting lifetime is relatively like watching Hibs when you compare them the success of Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea, with the exception of the Champion's league win. It’s certainly as frustrating.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2010, 03:26 PM

:agree: Having to choose between Man City and Liverpool for a Champions League place is like asking me if I want Rangers or Celtic to win the SPL.

I hope Tottenham get 4th.

Mag7
19-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I've supported Hibs and Liverpool all my life, both as a result of family ties. I have a large part of my family that live down there and support the reds and hence my support of the team.

Liverpool pretty much won everything while I was too young to really appreciate it. Therefore, since the time I have started really enjoying watching Hibs and Liverpool (since 1993 when I got my first ST at ER) I have not seen Liverpool win much at all !

All through the 90s they were pretty much mid table. They won a couple of league cups but that's all. Then in Houllier days they picked up and won the FA cup, Uefa cup etc and since then have only won 1 more FA cup and a Champions League.

I would defo conclude that watching Liverpool in my football supporting lifetime is relatively like watching Hibs when you compare them the success of Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea, with the exception of the Champion's league win. It’s certainly as frustrating.

ONLY a Champions League, a Uefa Cup, two FA Cups and two League Cups since the 90s? Aye, that sounds just as frustrating as following Hibs :wink:

marleyhib
20-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Kack, this will be the same team that finished second in the EPL last season and ran Man U close for the title and have been in the champions league for the last x seasons - nowt like supporting hibs in my opinion

Baw187
20-01-2010, 08:52 AM
ONLY a Champions League, a Uefa Cup, two FA Cups and two League Cups since the 90s? Aye, that sounds just as frustrating as following Hibs :wink:

Kack, this will be the same team that finished second in the EPL last season and ran Man U close for the title and have been in the champions league for the last x seasons - nowt like supporting hibs in my opinion

Can't expect you to understand so exprect these kind of comments. Clearly you'd have to support both teams to realise that the frustrations I have with Hibs are just as prominent when supporting Liverpool. Or are you going to claim to know the emotions I have for both clubs better thatn me?

Bear in mind that this is all relative to expectations. The Premiership is to Liverpool what the Scottish Cup is to Hibs. Came close last year but instead Man U equalled our league title record. Very frustrating.

I'm sure others on this board that support both teams such as BM would agree.

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Can't expect you to understand so exprect these kind of comments. Clearly you'd have to support both teams to realise that the frustrations I have with Hibs are just as prominent when supporting Liverpool. Or are you going to claim to know the emotions I have for both clubs better thatn me?

Bear in mind that this is all relative to expectations. The Premiership is to Liverpool what the Scottish Cup is to Hibs. Came close last year but instead Man U equalled our league title record. Very frustrating.

I'm sure others on this board that support both teams such as BM would agree.

Yep I see exactly what you are saying, I was fortunate enough to see Liverpool win the lot and was a ST holder at Anfield throughout the 80's. My expectations of Liverpool are of success across the board on a regular basis and certainly to win the Premiership before Manure overtake our record.
My first ST at Hibs was in 92 and my expectations are of regular cup success and to get closer to the old firm in the league. The lack of cup success frustrates the hell out of me as much as the lack of Premiership success and indeed the general decline at LFC.

persevere1875
20-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Apart from a good spell a few seasons ago that lasted for a few seasons, following The Arsenal surely has to be more frustrating than following liverpool, full of potential and classy football but unable to convert it into league titles, cup wins or champions league titles and that only happened over the last decade or so, prior to that it was mid table, 1-0 wins, cup exits to lower league clubs with the odd bit of glory thrown in for good measure

Baw187
20-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Apart from a good spell a few seasons ago that lasted for a few seasons, following The Arsenal surely has to be more frustrating than following liverpool, full of potential and classy football but unable to convert it into league titles, cup wins or champions league titles and that only happened over the last decade or so, prior to that it was mid table, 1-0 wins, cup exits to lower league clubs with the odd bit of glory thrown in for good measure

I'd agree. I have a few friends who are Arsenal fans and they have been frustrated over the last few years with the way the club has been limping along.

My point in this is that no matter how successful your club is, there will be some frustrations and supporting Liverpool can be very frustrating. As Scouse Hibee says, watching Man U claw back title after title over the last 17 years without much challenge from Liverpool, is a major dissapointment.

Most clubs have something like this to an extent, although I struggle to see what Man U fans have to be frustrated about !!!

Bad Martini
20-01-2010, 01:24 PM

One "hunts glory" if one follows (and jumps ship) to the team who is winning surely?

How can this be when I (like Baw187) has also followed Liverpool forever and, also have my own reasons for doing so, again similair to Baw187.

I dont care whether you like that or think it's "right" or wrong or why you somehow feel aflicted I should do this.

The point I am making here is; Liverpool, of late have been sheite, boring and hard work to follow. As have Scotland (another one of your pet hates). And indeed, at times, so have Hibs.

You know what - I'll still follow all 3 forever more, whether they win/lose or draw. It makes NO odds to me. And if any/all win, all the better. If not, it doesn't matter to me....you tell me where the problem with that is???

Whereas, I could point out the countless thousands/tens of thousands of "life long fans" of Chelsea/Man Utd etc who have actually followed nobody or worse still, some other team yet, at a faint SNIFF of glory, have whipped out the old trafford posters, scarves, stamford bridge framed prints and been "life long fans" forever. Hmmm.

GGTTH/YNWA/WE'LL BE COMING.....

ENDOF

Bad Martini
20-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Most clubs have something like this to an extent, although I struggle to see what Man U fans have to be frustrated about !!!

If I were a Man Utd fan, I'd be frustrated at being marginally more hated than Rangers by the entire world :greengrin:devil: (except the 2348534895734895 life long fans/glory hunters who also follow the Man Ure) :devil:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

gilliecabbage
20-01-2010, 01:36 PM
liverpool are doomed!!!
:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2010, 01:37 PM
If I were a Man Utd fan, I'd be frustrated at being marginally more hated than Rangers by the entire world :greengrin:devil: (except the 2348534895734895 life long fans/glory hunters who also follow the Man Ure) :devil:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Liverpool and EXACTLY the same as Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal or any club who have had a period of sustained success, even if that success is from a previous era. Namely, that they are built on glory hunters. The proof in the pudding is the number of 'fans' that all these clubs have from outside their home towns and, indeed, home countries.

It's simple; people are attracted to the glory of the big media-exposed clubs, whether they are currently winning trophies or not. To claim that there is something intrinsically nobler in 'supporting' one of those teams above the other, particularly if your not from their catchment era, is nothing sort of ludicrous. If you were making that claim about Blackburn or Stoke it might have some validity, but Liverpool...do us a favour, old chap!

Mag7
20-01-2010, 01:58 PM
One "hunts glory" if one follows (and jumps ship) to the team who is winning surely?

How can this be when I (like Baw187) has also followed Liverpool forever and, also have my own reasons for doing so, again similair to Baw187.

I dont care whether you like that or think it's "right" or wrong or why you somehow feel aflicted I should do this.

The point I am making here is; Liverpool, of late have been sheite, boring and hard work to follow. As have Scotland (another one of your pet hates). And indeed, at times, so have Hibs.

You know what - I'll still follow all 3 forever more, whether they win/lose or draw. It makes NO odds to me. And if any/all win, all the better. If not, it doesn't matter to me....you tell me where the problem with that is???

Whereas, I could point out the countless thousands/tens of thousands of "life long fans" of Chelsea/Man Utd etc who have actually followed nobody or worse still, some other team yet, at a faint SNIFF of glory, have whipped out the old trafford posters, scarves, stamford bridge framed prints and been "life long fans" forever. Hmmm.

GGTTH/YNWA/WE'LL BE COMING.....

ENDOF

I don't have a pet hate for Liverpool any more than I do for any of the big guns in England. I just don't think anyone can claim it's hard going to support a team like Liverpool who, if you remove Man U from the league, have probably won more than the rest of the Premiership combined! I suspect just as many jumped on the Shankly glory-hunting bandwagon as have jumped on the Ferguson bandwagon. In Man U's case I think they attracted a lot of fans in the wake of the Busby Babes Munich disaster too.

Whatever, I have no problem with you supporting Liverpool or anyone else, but for those who don't it's hard to agree that following them evokes as much angst as supporting Hibs!

lapsedhibee
20-01-2010, 03:04 PM
The Premiership is to Liverpool what the Scottish Cup is to Hibs. Came close last year but instead Man U equalled our league title record. Very frustrating.

For the life of me I can't get the logic of your analogy here. If I know my history, the 'puddle have won their top league eight times in the last 30 years. Whereas Hibs have won the Scottish Cup no times in the last 100 years. See what you're saying about expectation and frustration, but the analogy shirley sucks! :wink:

jdships
20-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I have supported Liverpool almost as long as I have Hibs.
An uncle , 1920's and then cousins post WW2 played for Hibs.
My father's cousin ,Billy Liddell, played for Liverpool post WW2 .
They were a second division side then affectionately known as "Liddellpool" as he was the best player they had.
I take exception to being called a "glory hunter" because I have supported a club who fought/wirked hard for years to become successful .
OK if you start supporting a non local side when you are young because they win trophies on a regular basis you can expect to be called a "glory hunter" . However , I am sure , there are many of us on this forum who have supported clubs like Liverpool for many a year before they "made it" to the top

:bitchy:

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2010, 03:25 PM
The real Liverpool fans are smaller in numbers to the modern hybrid of consumer-fans, and yes we probably are stuck in a time trap. We continue to support the team and club as it was supported in days gone by - thus our pain when we see how the new hybrids are used to represent all Liverpool fans.

Hainan Hibs
20-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't really see a difference between Scottish people """supporting""" the big English teams and Scottish people in Aberdeen, Motherwell,Thurso supporting RanTic in Glasgow?

Fair enough if there is a strong reason but I fail to understand why lots of Hibs fans from Edinburgh get so worked up about teams they will probably see once or twice every few years, maybe even not at all?

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't really see a difference between Scottish people """supporting""" the big English teams and Scottish people in Aberdeen, Motherwell,Thurso supporting RanTic in Glasgow?

Fair enough if there is a strong reason but I fail to understand why lots of Hibs fans from Edinburgh get so worked up about teams they will probably see once or twice every few years, maybe even not at all?

I think it's called Passion :greengrin, generally if you support another team you always have a reason or link unless you're a glory hunter :wink:. Whatever the reason as a football supporter you must understand the passion once you have decided to follow another team.

Baw187
20-01-2010, 03:46 PM
For the life of me I can't get the logic of your analogy here. If I know my history, the 'puddle have won their top league eight times in the last 30 years. Whereas Hibs have won the Scottish Cup no times in the last 100 years. See what you're saying about expectation and frustration, but the analogy shirley sucks! :wink:

Liverpool won all of their league titles before I was 11 so I took no real excitement out of that. My earliest memory is getting beat by Wimbledon in 88 FA cup final, and from a winning sense, winning it the next year against Everton, and then winning the league in 1990. But I was still way too young to appreciate it and it's all very hazy.

I appreciate the Hibs 1990 League cup win more because I was there and able to experience it. I recall much earlier Hibs games as my dad used to take me to ER from a very early age but I still wouldn't say I was passionate about football in general until Italia 90 and the League cup win.
Since then Liverpool haven't won the league and obviously have never won the Premiership, which is a source of ridicule from fans that support the other top 3 clubs. Much the same as Hibs not winning the Scottish Cup. My Arsenal and Man U supporting friends, and Chelsea supporting father (defo glory hunting bam and sure he just does it to wind me up), all take the pish about the Premiership just like the Yams do about Hibs not winning the Scottish Cup.

Like I said before, I can appreciate people not getting this if they don't support both clubs, but I can assure you the emotions are very similar.

Alicky Ranks
20-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Spot on. Perhaps back in the 60s/early 70s when Hibs were a genuinely respected side in Europe and had some wonderful results against some really top sides you could justifiably compare supporting them with supporting Liverpool. But nowadays? Absolute nonsense.

Baw187
20-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Spot on. Perhaps back in the 60s/early 70s when Hibs were a genuinely respected side in Europe and had some wonderful results against some really top sides you could justifiably compare supporting them with supporting Liverpool. But nowadays? Absolute nonsense.

You're completely missing the point. It's jack all to do with what the respective teams have or haven't won or their standing in their respective leagues, it's to do with supporters being let down in respect to their expectations of the clubs.

I'm afraid that if you don't truley support 2 different teams then you will never really understand.

And based on the fact I am explaining the way I feel; ME and MY emotions when supporting my teams, I can not see for the life of me how anyone can question that or dismiss it as nonsense.:confused:

Are you seriously suggesting I don't know what it's like to support Hibs??

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I have supported Liverpool almost as long as I have Hibs.
An uncle , 1920's and then cousins post WW2 played for Hibs.
My father's cousin ,Billy Liddell, played for Liverpool post WW2 .
They were a second division side then affectionately known as "Liddellpool" as he was the best player they had.
I take exception to being called a "glory hunter" because I have supported a club who fought/wirked hard for years to become successful .
OK if you start supporting a non local side when you are young because they win trophies on a regular basis you can expect to be called a "glory hunter" . However , I am sure , there are many of us on this forum who have supported clubs like Liverpool for many a year before they "made it" to the top

:bitchy:

Are you honestly saying that your experience is typical of the people from the seventies onwards, who tune into Sky and buy a replica strip and claim that they are 'Liverpool fans?'

Silver Fox
06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
17/21 points available, thats them in the top four again, before Villa Spurs play, but a top 4 finish at the end of the season, a lot more realistic now.imho

West Upper
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Liverpool will Take 4th. I am sure of it!!

Diclonius
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I knew they would get back in it. No matter how **** they are, they have massive financial power and huge expectations, coupled with a winning mentality.

Same old, same old in the boring boring boring boring boring boring EPL. Best League In The World my arse.

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Liverpool will Take 4th. I am sure of it!!

:agree: Keep the Faith YNWA.

Love the Green
06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
We've just humped Chelsea at Chelsea and we didn't even play the two top strikers in the EPL ...

Aye sure a world cup nobody and a geordie thug....better then Tevez...u fall off a roof and banged your heid wi the scouser lead thiefs?

"blue moon":blah:

ScottB
06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
We've just humped Chelsea at Chelsea and we didn't even play the two top strikers in the EPL ...

You don't half post some complete and utter nonsense...

jdships
06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Aye sure a world cup nobody and a geordie thug....better then Tevez...u fall off a roof and banged your heid wi the scouser lead thiefs?

"blue moon":blah:

Chelsea have more over hyped under achievers than the rest of the Premier League put together
Think you are also forgetting that the team that scores the most goals wins three points
You find that hard to take ?
Man Utd in the same situation yesterday

:na na:

jdships
06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
You don't half post some complete and utter nonsense..

He don't half post some complete and utter nonsense. :greengrin:wink:

HNA12
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Why not just start another thread instead of digging up one that is a year old?
Thread closed.