PDA

View Full Version : The half-time warm-up

hibs0666
17-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Down the Dundee United end, players were practising passing drills and the goalie was having crosses knocked into him to catch. In other words they were doing pretty much everything that you would be expecting subs to do.

Our heroes were a wee bit alternative in their 'warm-up' - what a complete and utter embarrassment:

- fair do's to the young subs who used the time to do some constructive passing drills

- without the goalkeeping coach on the park, Makalamby was left to play keepie uppie whilst blowing on his hands to keep them warm

- then we have our senior professionals Nish and McBride. What a couple of belters they were as they stood stock still in the middle of the park for 15 minutes, never going near a ball, sharing a bit of banter. They just couldn't give a ****. After watching the total and utter display of unprofessionalism, I'd have both of those yahoos out the door tomorrow.

.Sean.
17-01-2010, 07:18 PM
:agree:

Dare I say it but even Hearts look to have a constructive half-time warm-up.

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 07:21 PM
The only time I've ever seen Hibs come anywhere near a constructive warmup is when they're preparing a sub goalie, and you know how "often" that happens.

Farce.

Get Chipper out there with the subs, doing a drill.
Yogi can deal with the starting XI, and if he wants to bring on a sub, Chipper sends him in with 5 mins to go or whatever.

Simple enough.

Ell_Chrisso
17-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Down the Dundee United end, players were practising passing drills and the goalie was having crosses knocked into him to catch. In other words they were doing pretty much everything that you would be expecting subs to do.

Our heroes were a wee bit alternative in their 'warm-up' - what a complete and utter embarrassment:

- fair do's to the young subs who used the time to do some constructive passing drills

- without the goalkeeping coach on the park, Makalamby was left to play keepie uppie whilst blowing on his hands to keep them warm

- then we have our senior professionals Nish and McBride. What a couple of belters they were as they stood stock still in the middle of the park for 15 minutes, never going near a ball, sharing a bit of banter. They just couldn't give a ****. After watching the total and utter display of unprofessionalism, I'd have both of those yahoos out the door tomorrow.

Did anyone else think this big guy had some neat skills, with his round the world tricks etc?
Pity he can't do everything else so neat and tidily. Then he would actually be in the Dressing room, rather than wasting time practicing his Keepy-Ups.

Back to the point tho, it is actually quite shocking that McBride & Nish were both relaxed, and joking around. TBH, i think the two of them were probably both discussing how cheesed off they both were at being left out.

Very Un-Professional, but nout will happen.

Edinburgh Green
17-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Out of interest, do you know how the subs warmed up when we went all those games unbeaten?

hibs0666
17-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Out of interest, do you know how the subs warmed up when we went all those games unbeaten?

No idea - why do you ask?

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 07:39 PM

I think Scotty is implying that it was exactly the same methods used.

Judas Iscariot
17-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Were any of our subs wearing hats or gloves?

Hope not :grr:

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Were any of our subs wearing hats or gloves?

Hope not :grr:

Believe all of them were wearing some form of winter woolies.
Mcbride's hat itself was a source of much hilarity and discussion.

Edinburgh Green
17-01-2010, 07:46 PM

I think Scotty is implying that it was exactly the same methods used.

:agree:Yeah Leitrim is right, they've "warmed up" in that fashion for as long as can remember. I'd prefer it if they done something more constructive but I don't think it makes a great difference in the grand scheme of things

H18sry
17-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Were any of our subs wearing hats or gloves?Hope not :grr:

:agree:

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 07:49 PM
:agree:Yeah Leitrim is right, they've "warmed up" in that fashion for as long as can remember. I'd prefer it if they done something more constructive but I don't think it makes a great difference in the grand scheme of things

Agree.
Constructive warming-up would be good (see my previous point about Chipper drilling the subs at H/T) but not only can I not really recall the last time a sub came on and scored, I don't see it changing any time soon.

Allant1981
17-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Of all the things to moan about this really takes the biscuit, if this really annoys people then they need to get out more

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Of all the things to moan about this really takes the biscuit, if this really annoys people then they need to get out more

It wouldn't be a hibs forum without complaining about everything.

In fact, on the subject of that, how annoying to open are the wee sachets of brown sauce at ER? PETRIE!
:greengrin

McD
17-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Agree.
Constructive warming-up would be good (see my previous point about Chipper drilling the subs at H/T) but not only can I not really recall the last time a sub came on and scored, I don't see it changing any time soon.

Benji? Pen? Cant remember against who, Killie maybe?

CallumLaidlaw
17-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Agree.

Probably Benji on first day of season

millarco
17-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Benji? Pen? Cant remember against who, Killie maybe?

Was Nish against Aberdeen after Benji's against Killie?

Pretty Boy
17-01-2010, 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that Maka was perfectly capable of going through some handling drills on his own, there are hundreds of them for goalkeepers that don't require a coach.

Likewise all the rest of the players could have gone through a few basic passing drills and stretched off properly.

I can understand why all the coaches would be inside at half time as they may all have seen things differently and it's not uncommon for the manager to allow others to have a say. It's not really an excuse though as professional football players should be able to set up a few passing drills or sprints or whatever amongst themselves.

cocopops1875
17-01-2010, 08:11 PM
as i pointed out on an other thread, in my opinion they dufc were warming up banks as their number 1 had a shoulder injury near the end of the first half :wink: i dont think its normal for the gk coach to not be talking over the first half with the man between the sticks unless there is an issue

PeterboroHibee
17-01-2010, 08:13 PM
While they could do a bit of proper practicing or whatever, it doesnt make much difference if they then have to go and sit on the bench for 20 minutes or so before being subbed.

With all the problems to be looked at from yesterday, think this is the last thing that needs to be sorted.

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Benji against Dundee United last time round?

Well, point taken anyway!

lucky
17-01-2010, 08:22 PM
So we should get rid of Kevin McBride as he never warmed up at HT yesterday. What a lot of ****. We have lost 4 games all season. That's less than Man Utd but some on here want a mass clear out. There should be a law against computers and dicks

Bostonhibby
17-01-2010, 09:27 PM

:agree: maybe we should try and lighten things up a bit, formation warming up maybe? Would the attached be an acceptable use of the time?

Ed De Gramo
17-01-2010, 09:31 PM

It's pretty much what the team have been doing for the majority of the season...

I think your scraping the bottom of barrel for reasons to moan at the club...

stubru59
17-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Did we get beat because some players didn't do a warm-up? Hardly likely, but it says quite a lot about those players attitude to the game.

A professional athlete standing around gabbing is simply not good enough.

If this sort of attitude is taken on to the training ground you can start to see where we might have problems.

Biggie
17-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Unless any players were told they were going on at the start of the 2nd half, there is really no point in warming up, getting a sweat on, and then sitting down again....in sweaty gear and cooling down, etc...these are professional, highly tuned atheletes.....they know when to warm up and when not to.
Half time is the time to loosen the legs off, get a wee bit movement from sitting about for 45 minutes...

When the time is right to get warmed up, Yogi would tell them....on this ocassion I'd gie them a break, I dont re-call ANY team warming subs up at half time to have them sit on the bench again.....

Carheenlea
17-01-2010, 10:10 PM
When exactly did this practice of having the subs kicking balls about at half time start? Never used to be the case, and if one came out the tunnel to warm up it raised eyebrows as either a tactical early sub was being made or someone was unable to make the 2nd half.

At Easter Road nowadays there is actually more folk on the park at half time than during the game itself.. What with all the subs, the groundsmen, the happy hibby half time draw, the 10 second challenge, sprinklers going off, the place is heaving, and more reminiscent of an old Marx Brothers skit than what used to be an "interval"...

Toaods
17-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Whatever happened to the Falkirk exercise bikes...why was it a great new concept there but not here?

BEEJ
17-01-2010, 10:53 PM
these are professional, highly tuned atheletes.....
Nish! :tee hee:

At Easter Road nowadays there is actually more folk on the park at half time than during the game itself.. What with all the subs, the groundsmen, the happy hibby half time draw, the 10 second challenge, sprinklers going off, the place is heaving, and more reminiscent of an old Marx Brothers skit than what used to be an "interval"...
:hilarious Very true.

hfc rd
18-01-2010, 09:48 AM
True, our players can act stupid when warming up for a match. The reason I think Zouma is always getting injured is because he doesn't stretch before a match. You can easily pull a muscle if you dont stretch before a match.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2010, 09:55 AM

He could've put his gloves on to save you this embarrassment. Why didn't one of the coaches tell him to do this?!

and you know how "often" that happens.

Yes, "lots". :wink:

Andy74
18-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I think i've seen it all now.

Hughes is well into his latest techniques and sports science. If he felt there was anyhting special needed at half time he'd get it done.

It would seem that there's no real belief that it makes any odds at that stage. The players all go through the routines pre match and then they do the odd stretch or run to keep the muscles going until they are called on.

Does the opening poster have any scientific evidence that a choreographed half time routine makes any difference to performance??

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I have heard from a very good source, that the bus driver who took the team through to tannadice on saturday, went berserk on the edinburgh ring road, and crossed his hands over on the steering wheel. Not keeping his hands at 10 to 2 in the correct and proper way when driving, could have resulted in some terrible injuries to the players. I'd have that yahoo out the door tomorrow.

Speedway
18-01-2010, 10:17 AM
In addition I've heard that we're not using google to carry out internet searches at east mains and therefore we are receiving second rate search results which is effecting player education.

I don't know who the current search engine is, but I'd have that Yahoo out of the door tomorrow

J-C
18-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Unless a sub is coming on at half time, why bother with a structured warm up.

The subs are usually sent away down the pitch to warm up when the manager deems them necessary to come on.

A warm is just that, a series of exercises to get the blood flowing into the muscles and heat the body up, you can do that i 3-5 mins doing proper warm up exercises.

Lucius Apuleius
18-01-2010, 10:19 AM
When exactly did this practice of having the subs kicking balls about at half time start? Never used to be the case, and if one came out the tunnel to warm up it raised eyebrows as either a tactical early sub was being made or someone was unable to make the 2nd half.

Took the words out of my mouth. Also why the hell are subs not allowed a cup of tea at half time? I would reckon they would need it more than the starting 11.

I have heard from a very good source, that the bus driver who took the team through to tannadice on saturday, went berserk on the edinburgh ring road, and crossed his hands over on the steering wheel. Not keeping his hands at 10 to 2 in the correct and proper way when driving, could have resulted in some terrible injuries to the players. I'd have that yahoo out the door tomorrow.

:agree:Absolutely shocking. Please name the source so as this man (presume man going by your previous :greengrin) can be congratulated and honoured.

ShanksSaidNo
18-01-2010, 10:34 AM
In terms of making a difference to their performance i dont think the half time knock up really matters at all.

I do think though that if we're comin from a 'professionalism' point of view that it doesnt look great for 2 players to be standing hands on hips shooting the breeze with one another. The wee huddle style thing with balls getting thrown back and forward that the yams did at ER is a much better way for players to spend half time. If not for physical benefit - it just looks better!

On this subject - A few weeks back down at Kilmarnock did anyone see Byrne 'warming up' Flynn at half time? I use the term warming up lightly as he never even got close to any of his efforts. I took from this 2 things:

-Byrne is a super finisher, found the top bag 9 times out of 10 (using both feet) and i for one would love to see him get a run in the team.

-Flynn is too wee and am 90% sure he'll never make it in the 1st team.

hibsbollah
18-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Its pretty funny that there are calls for the head of possibly our player of the season so far on the basis of the way he warms up at halftime:faf:

PeterboroHibee
18-01-2010, 11:45 AM
True, our players can act stupid when warming up for a match. The reason I think Zouma is always getting injured is because he doesn't stretch before a match. You can easily pull a muscle if you dont stretch before a match.

Thats not actually true, I saw Zemmama stretching for quite a while before the United game.

But your point is a good one, he does always seem to pick up little injuries which is frustrating.

lapsedhibee
18-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Does the opening poster have any scientific evidence that a choreographed half time routine makes any difference to performance??

Not choreography, but there's some evidence that nearly-synchronised diving at the end of a match causes you to win it 5-1:

RIP
18-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Our heroes were a wee bit alternative in their 'warm-up' - what a complete and utter embarrassment:- fair do's to the young subs who used the time to do some constructive passing drills - without the goalkeeping coach on the park, Makalamby was left to play keepie uppie whilst blowing on his hands to keep them warm

When Nish came off at half-time a tall lad a few rows in front started giving Nish pelters to the complete bemusement of the fans round about. Colin looked visibly shaken by the abuse.
http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2312029&postcount=7

I just assumed that the he had caught big Coco nobbing his missus?

Thanks for alerting us to the true nature of the crime!:thumbsup:

GreenCastle
18-01-2010, 05:55 PM
While I think several of the statements on this thread are pretty :faf:, and where I know that it's not why it's not 100 % to blame why we are playing badly - I do agree it doesn't look the most professional.

I agree the yams warm up a few weeks ago at half time looked better than ours - though that didn't affect the result.

I know a guy who works as a fitness coach at a pro club and he tells me they recommend the players warm up every 15 minutes. Taking it turns to do some light stretching / jogging.

Warm up's can be over rated - but they are basically used to get the body and mind ready to play.

hibs0666
18-01-2010, 06:33 PM
While I think several of the statements on this thread are pretty :faf:, and where I know that it's not why it's not 100 % to blame why we are playing badly - I do agree it doesn't look the most professional.

I agree the yams warm up a few weeks ago at half time looked better than ours - though that didn't affect the result.

I know a guy who works as a fitness coach at a pro club and he tells me they recommend the players warm up every 15 minutes. Taking it turns to do some light stretching / jogging.

Warm up's can be over rated - but they are basically used to get the body and mind ready to play.

I was raging because we had just been played off the park for 45 minutes and we were then made to watch two of our senior professionals taking the piss. We pay their wages and, whilst I can forgive both these guys for a lack of ability, it is much harder to forgive the two of them them taking the pure Jarkko out of us.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I was raging because we had just been played off the park for 45 minutes and we were then made to watch two of our senior professionals taking the piss. We pay their wages and, whilst I can forgive both these guys for a lack of ability, it is much harder to forgive the two of them them taking the pure Jarkko out of us.

What difference would it have made if they were doing shuttle runs instead? And how were they taking th epish by not doing them?

GreenCastle
18-01-2010, 06:36 PM

I agree with you - at least look professional.

Shuttle runs no - warming up on a cold day - incase you need to come on shortly yes.

Though you could argue they should be in the dressing room hearing about what the team should be doing / trying to do and any info given out.

hibs0666
18-01-2010, 06:45 PM
What difference would it have made if they were doing shuttle runs instead? And how were they taking th epish by not doing them?

What has shuttle runs got to do with anything?

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2010, 06:53 PM
What has shuttle runs got to do with anything?

Just an example. What woud you have wanted them doing then and how would it have made you feel any better?

hibs0666
18-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Just an example. What woud you have wanted them doing then and how would it have made you feel any better?

Would have been nice if the McBride and Nish looked even remotely interested. **** me, they might even have stretched different muscle groups even slightly. I know it's asking a lot, but they might havekicked the ball a wee bit. Even better, a wee bit movement whilst occasionally kicking the ball would have been tremedous. I know it's radical but they might have done a bit of shooty-in with Makalamby - it's not like either of them don't need the practice is it?

However, my Nirvana would be Nish and McBride behaving like professionals, and doing pretty much exactly the same as the far more professional Dundee United subs over the half-way line who actually looked like they wanted onto the park and play for their team.

RIP
18-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Would have been nice if the McBride and Nish looked even remotely interested. **** me, they might even have stretched different muscle groups even slightly. I know it's asking a lot, but they might havekicked the ball a wee bit. Even better, a wee bit movement whilst occasionally kicking the ball would have been tremedous. I know it's radical but they might have done a bit of shooty-in with Makalamby - it's not like either of them don't need the practice is it?

However, my Nirvana would be Nish and McBride behaving like professionals, and doing pretty much exactly the same as the far more professional Dundee United subs over the half-way line who actually looked like they wanted onto the park and play for their team.

OK mate - but was it you who did the Victor Meldrew rant. Nothing to be ashamed of is it?

hibsbollah
18-01-2010, 08:36 PM
OK mate - but was it you who did the Victor Meldrew rant. Nothing to be ashamed of is it?

It sounds like it might have been:greengrin

BEEJ
18-01-2010, 09:55 PM
- then we have our senior professionals Nish and McBride. What a couple of belters they were as they stood stock still in the middle of the park for 15 minutes, never going near a ball, sharing a bit of banter. They just couldn't give a ****.
Credit where it's due though.

At least they left their chips inside the dressing room.

:greengrin

hibs0666
18-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Nah, the boy beat me to it and was closer to the dug-out than me. :thumbsup:

I'm_cabbaged
23-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Noticed GE had the outfield players, and Thompson was out with Maka at HT. "Supporters are often right" said Yogi, Wanderer11? :hmmm:

Mikey_1875
23-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Noticed GE had the outfield players, and Thompson was out with Maka at HT. "Supporters are often right" said Yogi, Wanderer11? :hmmm:

Obviously keeps a watch on hibs.net :greengrin

cocopops1875
23-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Obviously keeps a watch on hibs.net :greengrin

actually thought that myself :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
23-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Still feeling the same about Nish and McBride now then??:confused:

hibsbollah
24-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I noticed Thicot doing outside of the boot overhead keepy uppies at HT instead of warming up properly today:grr: Just lucky it never affected the result:confused:

Beefster
24-01-2010, 07:57 AM
If Yogi is listening in and paying heed to comments.......

Any chance that you could get them to use hot water for the Bovril in the Terracing? I hate lukewarm Bovril.

cocopops1875
24-01-2010, 08:03 AM
If Yogi is listening in and paying heed to comments.......

Any chance that you could get them to use hot water for the Bovril in the Terracing? I hate lukewarm Bovril. and pizza slices ready too :greengrin

hibsbollah
24-01-2010, 08:26 AM
If Yogi is listening in

I often hope that Yogi is not paying attention to what happens on here:rolleyes: He may conclude we are all ungrateful twats who dont deserve the team he's building.