PDA

View Full Version : Are We Pleased That We Lost?

Speedway
17-01-2010, 03:16 PM
So we all know what happened yesterday:

Smith is a real find, spoony needs a rest, Hogg isn't good enough for where we want to go, Murray is exactly what we need, Bamba was a miss, Hanlon's never a full back, Cregg was very rusty, Miller is now spending time covering the holes left by Rankin who (see Hogg) Zoumer tried tricks and flicks all day rather than just passing the ball, Stokes had no service and Riordan's first touch went on holiday for a week.

Meanwhile, we didn't have a lot of quality on the bench and so forth. So it was a nightmare, we were never really at the races, even in the 2nd half and we got beat whilst Hearts won again.

I get that, but what I don't get is why we've got 20 different threads about each facet of how crap we are, the fans are, the manager is and so on, but after our 13 match unbeaten run, there was never 20 threads of congratulations or highlighting of the positives. Rather it was a case of 'we're doing well so we must mean that we need to speculate about how we're about to sell all the decent performers/manager'

Yesterday has given a number of posters the chance to tell us that Hughes hasn't a clue and we've got too many passengers and we haven't signed players so Rod must be back to being tightfisted etc.

It gives the impression to a couple of guests on this board (non-hibbies here by my invitation) that we are pleased to lose because it gives us a chance to hurl abuse; whilst us winning and Hearts suffering only gives us a chance to by pass our own efforts and start 20 threads to slag Hearts off instead.

So I thought I'd ask the question. Is football simply a chance and outlet to hate for some on here?

CallumHibs07
17-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes, we are very pleased that we lost.:rolleyes:

Ed De Gramo
17-01-2010, 03:27 PM
The problem is that there's too many players who think they are undroppable...there is competition for places, but I don't think it's strong enough.

I'm very impressed at how Steven Thicot has applied himself, he's not moaned about not playing, waited patiently (sometimes not even getting on the bench) and then when his chance came...he grabbed it with both hands :thumbsup:

As for abuse, think its fair to have negative POV but on here it's always a select few that get the uncalled for abuse.

I'm hoping that Yogi has another CH and LM lined up because thats the two areas where strong competition is needed.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 03:31 PM
The problem is that there's too many players who think they are undroppable...there is competition for places, but I don't think it's strong enough.

I'm very impressed at how Steven Thicot has applied himself, he's not moaned about not playing, waited patiently (sometimes not even getting on the bench) and then when his chance came...he grabbed it with both hands :thumbsup:

As for abuse, think its fair to have negative POV but on here it's always a select few that get the uncalled for abuse.

I'm hoping that Yogi has another CH and LM lined up because thats the two areas where strong competition is needed.

Who are these players, and how do you know this?

California-Hibs
17-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Smith is a real find, spoony needs a rest, Hogg isn't good enough for where we want to go, Murray is exactly what we need, Bamba was a miss, Hanlon's never a full back, Cregg was very rusty, Miller is now spending time covering the holes left by Rankin who (see Hogg) Zoumer tried tricks and flicks all day rather than just passing the ball, Stokes had no service and Riordan's first touch went on holiday for a week.

Meanwhile, we didn't have a lot of quality on the bench and so forth. So it was a nightmare, we were never really at the races, even in the 2nd half and we got beat whilst Hearts won again.

I get that, but what I don't get is why we've got 20 different threads about each facet of how crap we are, the fans are, the manager is and so on, but after our 13 match unbeaten run, there was never 20 threads of congratulations or highlighting of the positives. Rather it was a case of 'we're doing well so we must mean that we need to speculate about how we're about to sell all the decent performers/manager'

Yesterday has given a number of posters the chance to tell us that Hughes hasn't a clue and we've got too many passengers and we haven't signed players so Rod must be back to being tightfisted etc.

It gives the impression to a couple of guests on this board (non-hibbies here by my invitation) that we are pleased to lose because it gives us a chance to hurl abuse; whilst us winning and Hearts suffering only gives us a chance to by pass our own efforts and start 20 threads to slag Hearts off instead.

So I thought I'd ask the question. Is football simply a chance and outlet to hate for some on here?

:top marks what a post mate! The negativity that comes from Hibs fans is unbelievable! Moan Moan Moan, and moan a little bit more :grr:
Never have time for the positives to get a mention :bitchy:

Ed De Gramo
17-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Who are these players, and how do you know this?

well i'd wager that two of them are Stokes and Deek...whats the point in having players like Danny Galbraith (who's looked good when he's been on) or Kurtis Byrne if they're never gonna get a look in?

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 03:55 PM
well i'd wager that two of them are Stokes and Deek...whats the point in having players like Danny Galbraith (who's looked good when he's been on) or Kurtis Byrne if they're never gonna get a look in?

Why would stokes be dropped? And you never answered the question. Have these players told you they are undroppable, or are you just taking a punt?
Also in football, you have more than 11 players, its called having a squad. Galbraith and Byrne are still in their nappies in football terms, and are not even before Nish and Benji in the pecking order.

CB_NO3
17-01-2010, 03:55 PM
When you get beat of your nearest challngers in the league and they move above us, you dont really get many positives. We need to forget today and take a very possible 6 points out of our next 2 games.

erin-go-bragh87
17-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Cracking post. I haven't commented on the doom and gloom posts and this pretty much sums up why.

Sylar
17-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I'd wager that the reason there weren't so many threads praising things to the rafters when all was going right, was because many posters on here could see we were winning games but playing poorly. I don't think there's been a game (other than maybe both vs Motherwell) where we've looked comfortable and in control for the full 90 minutes.

I don't mind us losing, as it's to be expected in the duration of a season (unless you have very unrealistic expectations), but it's the manner in which we lost which annoyed me - the players just looked uninterested at times. If the players put in 100% effort and lost every week, I wouldn't mind, so long as it was evident that every player in a Hibs shirt was playing at their full potential. Granted, everyone is going to have an off-day, but lately, we've had far too many individuals for whom minimum effort and poor attitude appears to be the status quo.

Granted, there are a few posters on here who are being a tad over the top in their doomsday prophecies, but a defeat is liable to do this. I think our performances and results of late have highlighted a fair few issues in the team and many folks may well just feel that yesterday was a point of such obvious disinterest from some players, that solmething needs done, particularly in light of Yogi's "Shape up or ship out" - having said that, I DO feel that some posters are taking that a little too literally.

I think many may well just be fed up watching us have a blistering start to the season, and then suffer the inevitable Hibs dissipation - it feels like we're starting to slide in quite dramatic style of late.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd wager that the reason there weren't so many threads praising things to the rafters when all was going right, was because many posters on here could see we were winning games but playing poorly. I don't think there's been a game (other than maybe both vs Motherwell) where we've looked comfortable and in control for the full 90 minutes.

All the more reason to get behind the team during the game. We slate the old firm and their fans, but when in adversity, they both get right behind the team, and more often than not, it gets them fired up, and they get back into the game. We just slaughter everyone, playing or even on the bench.:bitchy:

Ed De Gramo
17-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Why would stokes be dropped? And you never answered the question. Have these players told you they are undroppable, or are you just taking a punt?
Also in football, you have more than 11 players, its called having a squad. Galbraith and Byrne are still in their nappies in football terms, and are not even before Nish and Benji in the pecking order.

Didn't say he needed dropped at the moment, but if his form dips..he won't be benched...too much of a golden child for that to happen...thankfully he's hitting the net :thumbsup:

Taking a punt? It's pretty damn obvious that Deek is...

Cregg has one bad game against Hamilton and he's binned...same thing happened with Hogg as well...

As for Galbraith, I think he's ready for first team football...he's certainly not let anybody down when's he came on....IIRC he set up the winner against St Mirren and also in another match tracked back to stop a crucial intervention (Dundee Utd at ER I think)...don't recall him *****ting it at tackles either :wink:

Sylar
17-01-2010, 04:08 PM
All the more reason to get behind the team during the game. We slate the old firm and their fans, but when in adversity, they both get right behind the team, and more often than not, it gets them fired up, and they get back into the game. We just slaughter everyone, playing or even on the bench.:bitchy:

I'd agree with your opening sentence, but not the latter - when the OF get into bother and things aren't going well, the average attendance at Ibrox and Parkhead significantly drops, and the natives quite evidently lose patience quickly during games.

I think it's a general problem amongst football fans - it's easy to support a club when they're playing well and getting results but it becomes less entertaining when you're team are playing poorly and starting to slide. It's even more frustrating when inconsistency means your team are liable to flip from one extreme to the other.

It's a sign of character amongst a footballing "family", in how you respond to the bad - the atmosphere in the Hibs end from the word go yesterday, was indicitave that some of our fans just aren't happy being "Hibby's" unless we're winning (or are in their element, depending on whether "football as a source for venting rage" is a valid past-time).

The Green Goblin
17-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Very good post. This forum is utter murder after a defeat and I usually stay away because it`s, as you say, 20 threads all in competition with each other to see who can be the most miserable.

I would say the answer to your question is `yes` - there are many people who just will not be "happy" unless they have something to bitch about.

GG

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Didn't say he needed dropped at the moment, but if his form dips..he won't be benched...too much of a golden child for that to happen...thankfully he's hitting the net :thumbsup:

More unsubstantiated tripe

And again

Cregg has one bad game against Hamilton and he's binned...same thing happened with Hogg as well...

Miller came in and took Creggs place, Hogg was *****, and still is.

As for Galbraith, I think he's ready for first team football...he's certainly not let anybody down when's he came on....IIRC he set up the winner against St Mirren and also in another match tracked back to stop a crucial intervention (Dundee Utd at ER I think)...don't recall him *****ting it at tackles either :wink:

Your last sentence makes me really glad you are not the manager. You'd have galbraith and byrne in the side, when we are already playing wotherspoon and hanlon. You'd have the team ran over every week.

hibiedude
17-01-2010, 04:53 PM

If moaning about Hibs performances in the last month is a crime them I'm guilty as charged and guess what I'll not stop still things change on the park.

A forum is for both negative and positive topics.

I'm fed up reading about our big time players having an off and posters saying it not there fault because they were played out of position.

Then you get the classic quote when someone posts, but we played well for 20 minutes, unfortunately the game lasts for 90 minutes.

I don't believe for a second that any Hibs fan wants us to lose because if there is then they are not a Hibs fan.

Is there a football club Forum anywhere in world that there fans are 100% happy every week of the year, if there is give me there name because I want to sign up

PISTOL1875
17-01-2010, 04:53 PM

A couple of good points there Graham.. You're right about Stokes that's for sure.. Hughes is desperate for him to do well , so much so he got chucked into the Celtic game when he was no where near match fit and a complete passenger.. I do agree in the sense that if he stops hitting the net then he won't be dropped.. BUT , can we afford to have a player like Stokes on the bench ??

I also agree with your point about Cregg.. He was made the scapegoat by Hughes after that match but by the looks of things ,any one player could've been that man.. Hogg however I disagree. His form was bad for a good few weeks before Yogi left him out...

I think Galbraith should be introduced a bit more.. He has been here 6 months now and we have hardly seen him.. Couple of sub appearances but not a decent run in the team that player needs...

As for Byrne , if Hughes isn't going to play him then he should be sent out on loan somewhere.. There's no point in having him sitting in the stand every week without a hope of playing...

Spike Mandela
17-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Every team has a dodgy patch during the season and we appear to be having ours now.

Nobody though can fail to notice how much better off we are this year than last year as we hit our poor form.

All we need now is something to spark a revival be it a great result against Hamilton, signing a good new player or announcing a new stand.

One or all of these look possible this month :thumbsup::cool2:

silverhibee
17-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Yogi may disagree with that one.

IWasThere2016
18-01-2010, 06:41 AM

I don't mind us losing, as it's to be expected in the duration of a season (unless you have very unrealistic expectations), but it's the manner in which we lost which annoyed me - the players just looked uninterested at times. If the players put in 100% effort and lost every week, I wouldn't mind, so long as it was evident that every player in a Hibs shirt was playing at their full potential. Granted, everyone is going to have an off-day, but lately, we've had far too many individuals for whom minimum effort and poor attitude appears to be the status quo.

Granted, there are a few posters on here who are being a tad over the top in their doomsday prophecies, but a defeat is liable to do this. I think our performances and results of late have highlighted a fair few issues in the team and many folks may well just feel that yesterday was a point of such obvious disinterest from some players, that solmething needs done, particularly in light of Yogi's "Shape up or ship out" - having said that, I DO feel that some posters are taking that a little too literally.

I think many may well just be fed up watching us have a blistering start to the season, and then suffer the inevitable Hibs dissipation - it feels like we're starting to slide in quite dramatic style of late.

:agree: and the formation isn't helping IMHO

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 08:51 AM
:agree: and the formation isn't helping IMHO

You mean the formation thats had us 3rd for most of this season?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-01-2010, 09:00 AM

I think that there is a point to make about formations without needing to go off the deep end all the time. Managers should be adaptable. If you can see things not working, you have to change things. That is not compromising your beliefs. The only thing I would say about Yogi is that he has a formation and then sees who he can play there, and that often means bodies out of position. The flip side is that you see who you have, and then get your formation from that. Before the game, i didn't think that three in midfield would be enough against United, especially away. But I suppose that goes back to how much thought you give to how your opponents will play.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I think that there is a point to make about formations without needing to go off the deep end all the time. Managers should be adaptable. If you can see things not working, you have to change things. That is not compromising your beliefs. The only thing I would say about Yogi is that he has a formation and then sees who he can play there, and that often means bodies out of position. The flip side is that you see who you have, and then get your formation from that. Before the game, i didn't think that three in midfield would be enough against United, especially away. But I suppose that goes back to how much thought you give to how your opponents will play.

Yip i agree, sometimes you need to change how you line the team up, although thats mostly against the old firm in this country. We have done pretty well this season playing the way we have. People are clamoring for Galbraith to come in, and for him to play wide on the left. Imho having him there in front of Hanlon would be suicidal. That much inexperience all down the left would be asking for trouble.

Riordan may not be playing well, but the defender will always be looking for him, because they know just what he can do at any given moment. As for saturday, we played them off the park at easter road using the same system, why would it not work again? It was not working, so he changed it, yet people are saying he does not change? Some people are just looking for fault with the manager, its becoming tiresome, and very strange indeed.:confused:

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 09:08 AM

:top marks

Superb word:agree:

Is that actually a word tho?:confused:

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 09:11 AM

Who thinks they are undroppable though? And how in the name of god would anyone know this?

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Who thinks they are undroppable though? And how in the name of god would anyone know this?

Good point G :agree:

RIP
18-01-2010, 09:14 AM
What I don't get is why we've got 20 different threads about each facet of how crap we are, the fans are, the manager is and so on, but after our 13 match unbeaten run, there was never 20 threads of congratulations or highlighting of the positives. Rather it was a case of 'we're doing well so we must mean that we need to speculate about how we're about to sell all the decent performers/manager'

Thanks Speedway - your post may just keep me from banning myself from Hibs.Net again :greengrin

This weekend has been my worst Hibs experience for some time. Between the abuse the players took from so-called fans' on Saturday and the constant berating of players on here I've realised that I am no longer willing to accept such negativity.

The silent majority need to stand up and back the team. We are either Hibs Supporters or we are not.

lapsedhibee
18-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Sure undroppable's a word. No as good as bouncebackability though. :agree:

PaulSmith
18-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks Speedway - your post may just keep me from banning myself from Hibs.Net again :greengrin

This weekend has been my worst Hibs experience for some time. Between the abuse the players took from so-called fans' on Saturday and the constant berating of players on here I've realised that I am no longer willing to accept such negativity.

The silent majority need to stand up and back the team. We are either Hibs Supporters or we are not.

The problem is that sites like these give the average Joe Punter carte blance to hide behind the keyboard safe in the knowledge that they can spout rubbish all day without ever having to make or stand by an decision on who plays or what formation Hibs should adopt. Opinions soon become 'blatently obvious observations' in the stroke of a key pad and those years of chugging away late at night on Football Manager 2001 make us all experts on everything Hibernian...play 3-5-2, no 4-1-4-1 no a rigid 4-4-2 changed from game to game on a PC from minute to minute.

With regards to the actual people (loose term there) who attend games and shout vile abuse at our own players a simple message...if you can't sit and hold back from giving players pelters then don't go. It's really getting on ma t!ts having to listen to folk tell guys that bleed Hibs to F OFF at the top of their voice. What fantasic support that is. :bitchy:

I wasn't at Dundee on Saturday but having been there several times before I can just picture the players walking off at half time with our own supports leaning over the bannisters at the front telling them to 'Get tae Fk ya shower of cnts'.

Last week in the West I was really hoping that the guy that stood up for Colin Nish was going to knock out the moron who had spent the previous 30 minutes shouting at Nish.

ahibby
18-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I think the OP from Speedway is a good one. Our problem is we aren't strong enough to stand up to teams like Dundee Utd away. I believe when we have a full compliment we are a classier side than them but we don't match them in the physical side of things and when the team is firing on full that doesn't matter as much. Winter matches will see us at a slight disadvantage but even so if the officials had done their jobs properly on Sat Utd probably wouldn't have scored but neither would we have which is just as much of a concern. We could have stolen it though despite the poor performance. Games like this should remind us that we need to lose a couple of players and bring in a couple.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Yip i agree, sometimes you need to change how you line the team up, although thats mostly against the old firm in this country. We have done pretty well this season playing the way we have. People are clamoring for Galbraith to come in, and for him to play wide on the left. Imho having him there in front of Hanlon would be suicidal. That much inexperience all down the left would be asking for trouble.

Riordan may not be playing well, but the defender will always be looking for him, because they know just what he can do at any given moment. As for saturday, we played them off the park at easter road using the same system, why would it not work again? It was not working, so he changed it, yet people are saying he does not change? Some people are just looking for fault with the manager, its becoming tiresome, and very strange indeed.:confused:

Well Saturday was just awful and to be fair, a lot of what we have seen recently has been awful. Earlier in the season we played United off the park in a 1-1 draw??? That gets you two points less that being pysh and winning though. We are not getting the performance on the pitch that Hughes wants. He is no fool and he knows what the players are capable of. But after very public shape up or ship out messages, I think that he, never mind us, was entitled to a lot better than the players put in on Saturday. I am 100% behind Hughes but unfortunately for him and other football managers, you never see a team of players get the bullet and the manager stays. If we had put in a decent shift on Saturday and got beat, I would have accepted that.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Well Saturday was just awful and to be fair, a lot of what we have seen recently has been awful. Earlier in the season we played United off the park in a 1-1 draw??? That gets you two points less that being pysh and winning though. We are not getting the performance on the pitch that Hughes wants. He is no fool and he knows what the players are capable of. But after very public shape up or ship out messages, I think that he, never mind us, was entitled to a lot better than the players put in on Saturday. I am 100% behind Hughes but unfortunately for him and other football managers, you never see a team of players get the bullet and the manager stays. If we had put in a decent shift on Saturday and got beat, I would have accepted that.

The draw at easter road against united, was a good performance by us. Yes we only drew, but they got lucky that day. If posters can say WE have been lucky, then surely it works both ways? No we are not getting the performances each week that Yogi and indeed we want, but we are getting complaints when we dona play well and lose, surely you are not complaining that we played well and only drew?

We have a team playing at the moment, thats got two full backs in their first full season as 1st team regulars, two kids who are raw. We have New players bedding in, Miller, McBride, Stokes, regular players who are all doing well. We also have injuries to McBride, and Bamba's away in the ANC. We have all this going on, and despite still having some of the dross he inherited, the new manager has coxed and cajoled this team into a European place.

But instead of getting behind the manager and the team, we are berating them. Why is this?

Bad Martini
18-01-2010, 11:49 AM
There are very few people happy when the team is winning with regards to being over joyed etc. This is however "accepted" and few are realistic as we ALL want the win/something tangible. Thus, we always want more...if we didn't, we'd all be a bunch of losers accepting second best and accepting the journey is more important than getting something at the end of it.

It may very well be brilliant to take a nice road trip with nice views, scenery and all that malarkey but you DO still want to get where you were going in the first place. Competitive football is ultimately concerned with winning matches and points as POINTS, make prizes :greengrin

With regards to cups, even more so as there's no long term.

People will moan all the more when we lose as it's even further away from getting to where we want to be.

If someone can find someone happy that we are losing, they will have found a loser.

The gameplan, is to win. Not at ANY cost but playing ***** or less than great and WINNING, is infinitely more desirable than playing ***** and NOT winning shirley :rolleyes:

ahibby
18-01-2010, 11:53 AM
The draw at easter road against united, was a good performance by us. Yes we only drew, but they got lucky that day. If posters can say WE have been lucky, then surely it works both ways? No we are not getting the performances each week that Yogi and indeed we want, but we are getting complaints when we dona play well and lose, surely you are not complaining that we played well and only drew?

We have a team playing at the moment, thats got two full backs in their first full season as 1st team regulars, two kids who are raw. We have New players bedding in, Miller, McBride, Stokes, regular players who are all doing well. We also have injuries to McBride, and Bamba's away in the ANC. We have all this going on, and despite still having some of the dross he inherited, the new manager has coxed and cajoled this team into a European place.

But instead of getting behind the manager and the team, we are berating them. Why is this?

You forgot to mention Zemmama being injured too which no doubt affects us, like it did on Sat.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 11:56 AM
The gameplan, is to win. Not at ANY cost but playing ***** or less than great and WINNING, is infinitely more desirable than playing ***** and NOT winning shirley :rolleyes:

Yip but some people want us to win, and win with style. How the hell could any manager do that with this squad of players? How yogi has managed to get the results he has, has been fantastic, and he did that with last seasons dross, and a few additions. He's only been in the job 5 minutes, but what he's achieved so far is not good enough it seems.:confused:

IWasThere2016
18-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Aye - wi a fair bit of luck :wink: :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Aye - wi a fair bit of luck :wink: :greengrin

Not you as well. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
18-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Not you as well. :greengrin

Aye :greengrin

I just though Stokes look isolated, and ineffective against Dodds and Webster, and we didnt get behind their fullbacks via Deeks and Zemmama.

Thought we needed 2 upfront, and for the life of me cannot see why we weren't 4-4-2 at any time of the game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-01-2010, 12:58 PM

I think that your three or four word postings are easier to deal with...

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Basically we are flamboyant purists of British sport. Anything less than Hibs winning comfortably and in attacking entertaining style, decimating the opposition with one-touch football, is no good whatsoever to us.

I honestly believe that if we won every game by hoofball over the next two seasons, giving us a haul of 2 League flags, 1 League Cup, 1 CL, I super cup and 2 Scottish Cups, this board would still be full of moans about our style of play and individual performances.

And i'd be proud to say that i'd be leading the chorus.

hibees_green
18-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Smith is a real find, spoony needs a rest, Hogg isn't good enough for where we want to go, Murray is exactly what we need, Bamba was a miss, Hanlon's never a full back, Cregg was very rusty, Miller is now spending time covering the holes left by Rankin who ..............by pass our own efforts and start 20 threads to slag Hearts off instead.

It's nothing to do with out-letting hate or wanting the team to loose.

It's simply more interesting (and humorous within context) to focus on weaknesses and suggest ways to improve than talk about how great things are.

To put it another way 'We like to experience the good times but have a need to discuss the bad'.

Conversation A:

You: How was your Holiday?

Mate: Great.

You then think of another subject to discuss.

Conversation B:

You: How was your Holiday?

Mate: Murder....accommodation smelt of cat p@ss and you want to have tasted the food.

2 hours then pass discussing hilarious tales of nightmare holidays and how crap everything was and how you'll do things differently the next time your booking a holiday.