Riordans Boots
17-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Even though it was yesterday.

Belated Happy Birthday :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
17-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Even though it was yesterday.

Belated Happy Birthday :thumbsup:

Must have had his mind on where he could hold his birthday party, as he was not focussed on the match

Toaods
17-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Must have had his mind on where he could hold his birthday party, as he was not focussed on the match

not trying to hijack the thread but would be pretty disappointing if that is the case.

It's usually said that when if you hold back that's when you'll get hurt.

I thought the very same thing last week when Zemamma totally shat out of a 50/50 although it was obvious he was scared due to the injury he is already carrying.

smurf
17-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Just posted this on the Bounce.... And oh Happy Birthday Derek Riordan.

From the kick off can i say i'm a huge fan of Derek Riordan. In my lifetime no other player comes close to him as being the best forward we've had. IMHO he's a serious contender to be named the best natural goalscorer in the Scottish game.

I was ecstatic when he came home in August 2008 from Celtc. IMHO he came back a better footballer than the one that left.

Now maybe better informed football folk can tell me differently but hasn't Derek scored all these goals (What a record it is) in the main from a Forward position? Quite hard to define the actual position but kind of to the left of the hole up front?

A different position entirely from left midfield/left winger certainly IMO. It was Mixu who started this nonsense and the goals as a result dried up with him going by his standards a fairly long run without goalscoring.

I don't know Derek Riordan from Adam but it's pretty obvious from his body language that his whole entire game revolves around scoring goals. It's what quite obviously makes him tick and the boy is pretty damned effective and brilliant at doing so.

So why have we ended up with this nonsense of this talent - this goalscoring machine - being deployed in a totally ineffective left midfield/left winger role?

The goals are and will not come at the same rate meaning the player gets frustrated and more importantly IMO he's much less of an asset to us as a team.

It appears to me it's almost a 'Well he's Derek Riordan one of our top earners so we need to find a place for him in the team'. That's just total crap IMHO. It ought to be a 'Well he's Derek Riordan he scores for fun so lets play him where he does that brilliantly'.

Yogi FFS. Play the laddie where he scores goals or sell him if you are not going to. Because to me there's just no point in Derek Riordan played as left midfielder/left winger.

And oh if i were you Derek i'd ask to leave if not.

Such a waste that completely baffles me.:confused:

SRHibs
17-01-2010, 02:36 PM

From the kick off can i say i'm a huge fan of Derek Riordan. In my lifetime no other player comes close to him as being the best forward we've had. IMHO he's a serious contender to be named the best natural goalscorer in the Scottish game.

I was ecstatic when he came home in August 2008 from Celtc. IMHO he came back a better footballer than the one that left.

Now maybe better informed football folk can tell me differently but hasn't Derek scored all these goals (What a record it is) in the main from a Forward position? Quite hard to define the actual position but kind of to the left of the hole up front?

A different position entirely from left midfield/left winger certainly IMO. It was Mixu who started this nonsense and the goals as a result dried up with him going by his standards a fairly long run without goalscoring.

I don't know Derek Riordan from Adam but it's pretty obvious from his body language that his whole entire game revolves around scoring goals. It's what quite obviously makes him tick and the boy is pretty damned effective and brilliant at doing so.

So why have we ended up with this nonsense of this talent - this goalscoring machine - being deployed in a totally ineffective left midfield/left winger role?

The goals are and will not come at the same rate meaning the player gets frustrated and more importantly IMO he's much less of an asset to us as a team.

It appears to me it's almost a 'Well he's Derek Riordan one of our top earners so we need to find a place for him in the team'. That's just total crap IMHO. It ought to be a 'Well he's Derek Riordan he scores for fun so lets play him where he does that brilliantly'.

Yogi FFS. Play the laddie where he scores goals or sell him if you are not going to. Because to me there's just no point in Derek Riordan played as left midfielder/left winger.

And oh if i were you Derek i'd ask to leave if not.

Such a waste that completely baffles me.:confused:

:agree::thumbsup:

Completely agree. He just doesn't have the pace to play out on the wing.

I'm clueless as to why Yogi won't give Stokes and Deek a shot as a front 2. We have a talented, albeit young left winger in Galbraith. He's got the pace to cause problems out on the wing, unlike Riordan. I'd give him a try, regardless of his age.

And there's no point in persisting with Nish. Stokes can do a decent job of holding the ball up, and if we're playing our so-called 'passing game' then surely we can cope without Nish's height(which seems to be his only redeeming quality).

Toaods
17-01-2010, 02:40 PM

good post Smurf, I agree largely but notice the way recent managers continually prattle on about fitting into the game plan, etc.

I once heard a term used about Sandy Lyle when this great golfing talent flipped his lid...

"paralysis by analysis"

I think too many people nowadays either go to to some boufing course at Largs to beleive they know what they are doing, when infact the secret of almost any success in sport comes form knowing your players and getting the best out of them , where they can deliver the best results.

A good manager will quickly realise what he needs a nd set about fixing it.

Too many managers are Bobby Williamson-esque, in that they are more scared of losing than winning. I'm not advocaating the Jimmy Calderwood suicidal line-ups but you can't go into games concentrating more on damage limitation.

Despite the '4 attacking forwards' concept, our goals tally isn't exactly brilliant, nor the performance level.

regardless of final result, it will be interesting to see the reaction from the stands next week if what appear to be a very well organised Hamilton team take the lead.

MB62
18-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I hope he enjoyed his birthday in the knowledge that, because he totally gave up the ghost on a ball he had slightly over ran, Utd went up the park and scored the only goal of the game.

Have to agree he is being played out of position but we still need more from him.

HibbyAndy
18-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Happy Birthday Deek :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope you get your wish mate that is to play 'uptop' with Stokesy.

hfc rd
18-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Happy B-Day Deeks!!