PDA

View Full Version : How have we been lucky this season?

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I keep reading how we are lucky to be so high up the table, how we have been lucky to win so many points. What games have we been lucky in? And couldn't that question be reversed, and have we not been unlucky in some games, celtic home, dundee utd home? Plus, the others teams could be saying the very same, don't you make your own luck over a season anymore?:confused:

Expecting Rain
17-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I keep reading how we are lucky to be so high up the table, how we have been lucky to win so many points. What games have we been lucky in? And couldn't that question be reversed, and have we not been unlucky in some games, celtic home, dundee utd home? Plus, the others teams could be saying the very same, don't you make your own luck over a season anymore?:confused:

Smith,Wotherspoon,Murray,Bamaba,Zemmama,McBride,Mi ller,Riordan,Stokes, potentially Hanlon and mabe 1or 2 others will suggest talent rather than luck and finally the Yogi and Rice factor with a couple of important signings.

Ringothedog
17-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Agree 100% I dont know what we expect ...Brazil from the 1970 world cup maybe ?

We are a team in transition(again). We are 4th in the league with a game in hand. We are through to the last 16 0f the Scottish cup with a great chance to get to the last 8

The doom and gloomers are winning the battle over the happy clappers at this moment in time.

Lets leave our criticisms until the season has finished when we will find out how our season has turned. For now lets back the team and see where it gets us.

Bob Box Fish
17-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Every team no matter who you are (man utd , Chelsea etc) hit a sticky point in a season.

My main concern is historically we do not perform aswel in the second half of the season compared to the first half.

My other concern is JH record in the big games - Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and Dundee Utd. We won't get third if we don't win at least some of these given the current points situation.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I read this season in two ways.

It's great that we're getting a bit uppity over the fact we lost yesterday and we're bemoaning the lack of this, that and everything as it shows that expectations have increased at ER dramatically from say a year ago.

On the flip-side, I find it incredible to read some of the completely OTT reactions regarding the defeat yesterday because we're far and away ahead of plan from this time last year.

Yogi's only been in the job about 6 months and in that time he's worked wonders with the personnel in terms of who has come in and who has left. It takes time for everything to click together.

Yogi's still working out his best side, still learning about the character of his players and still formulating his plans for this window (and the next) to suit the system, shape and tactics that he's still perfecting.

Yes it's good that we're beginning to believe that we should be winning nearly every game as it typifies the potential we can all realise, but it's a joke that a certain few think the world is over and we need to overhaul everything because we lost, somewhat unfortunately, to 4th placed Dundee United away from home.

There's still a long way for Yogi and Hibs to go, but we are ahead of schedule in Yogi's eyes and that in itself is what's causing our expectations to increase faster than our progress, progress which is already ahead of itself.

Relax my fellow soldiers, we're still right up there and in John Hughes, we've got a manager who is not only just as passionate about Hibs as you and I, but also has the talent, application and desire to better this club in every aspect.

ronaldo7
17-01-2010, 11:01 AM

How many penalties have we had? Now that's luck:cool2:

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I read this season in two ways.

It's great that we're getting a bit uppity over the fact we lost yesterday and we're bemoaning the lack of this, that and everything as it shows that expectations have increased at ER dramatically from say a year ago.

On the flip-side, I find it incredible to read some of the completely OTT reactions regarding the defeat yesterday because we're far and away ahead of plan from this time last year.

Yogi's only been in the job about 6 months and in that time he's worked wonders with the personnel in terms of who has come in and who has left. It takes time for everything to click together.

Yogi's still working out his best side, still learning about the character of his players and still formulating his plans for this window (and the next) to suit the system, shape and tactics that he's still perfecting.

Yes it's good that we're beginning to believe that we should be winning nearly every game as it typifies the potential we can all realise, but it's a joke that a certain few think the world is over and we need to overhaul everything because we lost, somewhat unfortunately, to 4th placed Dundee United away from home.

There's still a long way for Yogi and Hibs to go, but we are ahead of schedule in Yogi's eyes and that in itself is what's causing our expectations to increase faster than our progress, progress which is already ahead of itself.

Relax my fellow soldiers, we're still right up there and in John Hughes, we've got a manager who is not only just as passionate about Hibs as you and I, but also has the talent, application and desire to better this club in every aspect.

Well said,:top marks Although what i find terrible, is some of the folk who did not want Hughes, are the first ones on taking pot shots at him, or his tactics, but never give any credit when we win. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 11:06 AM
How many penalties have we had? Now that's luck:cool2:

That lazy git Riordan would only miss them anyway. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 02:01 PM
So i take it the people who said we have been lucky this season, have changed their minds?:confused:

Sudds_1
17-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Not sure if the word is "lucky". Sure we've not been playing well for several weeks couples with the fact that we still have weaknesses in a few key positions - and we're seeing some key players suffering a dip in form.....normal for any team. We're also carrying the pilton Messiah, awaiting his miracles each week (some tmes he graces us with his benevolence, most times recently he doesn't :wink::greengrin) And that means we're usually playing with 10 effective men.

But we play in a piss poor league and are, overall, better than the majority of the rest - we've taken advantage of that so far but over the course of a full season we're bound to see dips in performance - we just aint got the cover to do otherwise.

So lucky? no, don't think so. We're no world beaters though and in my view a better than average team on our day, lacking the consistency that all really class teams have. So far we've been better than the others in using our limited resources by and large and I'm sure form will pick up sooner or later.

We might be lucky that we play in a piss poor league, but thats another thread methinks :wink::greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Not sure if the word is "lucky". Sure we've not been playing well for several weeks couples with the fact that we still have weaknesses in a few key positions - and we're seeing some key players suffering a dip in form.....normal for any team. We're also carrying the pilton Messiah, awaiting his miracles each week (some tmes he graces us with his benevolence, most times recently he doesn't :wink::greengrin) And that means we're usually playing with 10 effective men.

But we play in a piss poor league and are, overall, better than the majority of the rest - we've taken advantage of that so far but over the course of a full season we're bound to see dips in performance - we just aint got the cover to do otherwise.

So lucky? no, don't think so. We're no world beaters though and in my view a better than average team on our day, lacking the consistency that all really class teams have. So far we've been better than the others in using our limited resources by and large and I'm sure form will pick up sooner or later.

We might be lucky that we play in a piss poor league, but thats another thread methinks :wink::greengrin
:greengrin

TornadoHibby
17-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Well said,:top marks Although what i find terrible, is some of the folk who did not want Hughes, are the first ones on taking pot shots at him, or his tactics, but never give any credit when we win. :confused:

Seems to be the way of this board! :wink:

Once people have a "problem" with a Hibs person (whether player or official etc), then nothing will persuade them that they might be wrong! :confused:

It's not like its the first time that this has happened recently now is it!? :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Once people have a "problem" with a Hibs person (whether player or official etc), then nothing will persuade them that they might be wrong! :confused:

It's not like its the first time that this has happened recently now is it!? :cool2:

I dont know, i cant remember a time where we have been sitting 3rd, now 4th, and only 2 defeats in 15, were the manager and players have been getting it as tight as they are now?:confused:

Jonnyboy
18-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Conversely, once folk take it into their head that their favourites can do no wrong ...... :greengrin