PDA

View Full Version : Is the balance of the team all wrong ????

passionatehibby
17-01-2010, 02:19 AM
I've just finished watching the game. It appears to me that the balance throughout the team is wrong. I'm going to get shot down for this - but I believe that Riordan and Stokes can't play in the same team. I feel that they are too similar in style and need a proper target man to play off. Another thing I've noticed is Riordan's body language, I feel he's nowhere near the player he was when he left to go to celtic IMO.

Since bamba has been out we have no presence in the team. Too many players seem to be too light weight,and are easily brushed off the ball. Rangers Hearts and utd have managed to out muscle us . I watched the bairns against celtic and their new signing Showumni stuck out like a sore thumb. He gave the celtic defence a torrid time due to him having a bit 'presence' about him. It's a shame yogi didn't find this guy before Falkirk signed him up.

This post is not a criticism of Hughes in any way as he's just in the door really and he is still building his own team . I think he knows what's required so I think we are going to have to be a little patient over the coming weeks.

We've only picked up 1 point out of a possible 9 in our last three games so a win against Hamilton next week is a must If we are to challenge for a European spot.

yekimevol
17-01-2010, 11:10 AM
i have been thinking this for a wee bit. we only have one natural rb and he is allways injured and in the mid we have only one natural r mid and left mid ie galbraith and wotherspoon, up front we have so many choices that we can afford for either stokes or riordan to have a off day because we have another 3 strikers. i do beileve that we are to light weight that has been a problem since mixu he solved it by putting bamba in the middle and i like him there he has the presance needed along with a touch and ability to pass. so what do we need to me a right back, two center backs, two wide midfielders and a traget man up front.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 11:13 AM
The balance was fine when Bamba and McBride were playing, and Murray was helping Riordan on the left. We dont have a squad of players that can carry players of that quality not playing, or Murray having to move position. We will get better when they are back, and further strengthening in the transfer window will help too.

ancient hibee
17-01-2010, 11:24 AM
There is no drive from middfield-there are no defence splitting passes-everything is too slow-players are isolated.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
17-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Riordan should play up with Stokes, simple as that. We need to find a guy to play on the left that will work the channels and track back when needed. And play McBride or Thicot with Miller, no squggler!

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Riordan should play up with Stokes, simple as that. We need to find a guy to play on the left that will work the channels and track back when needed. And play McBride or Thicot with Miller, no squggler!

:top marks Spot on. :agree:

passionatehibby
17-01-2010, 11:40 AM
The balance was fine when Bamba and McBride were playing, and Murray was helping Riordan on the left. We dont have a squad of players that can carry players of that quality not playing, or Murray having to move position. We will get better when they are back, and further strengthening in the transfer window will help too.

I agree 100% that Murray moving from left back to the centre has had a major impact on the dynamics of the team..I also share your views on thinking the team will get better once certain players are back playing in their rightful positions. Too many first team players are being played out of position to fill glaring weaknesses in our team. I believe we're going to see a few in's - out's
before the end of the window. Hopefully a RB and CH will be on the shopping list. :agree:

matty_f
17-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Only thing I'd add to that is to say get Nid at left back,,otherwise totally agree. :agree:

Barney McGrew
17-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Since Bamba left and McBride got injured we've played too many players out of position in the team.

It was no coincidence we were far far better in the second half yesterday when Hanlon was more central, Murray was allowed to push forward down the left, Wotherspoon was put into right midfield and Riordan was played up front.

Jim44
17-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Hopefully yesterday's defeat will give Hughes the wake-up call to play around a bit with a team which, unless somehow given a shot in the arm, looks like slipping back into mid-table obscurity. I would move Riordan away from the left to twin-strike with Stokes and encourage a wider attack from the left midfield.

ps - I've just read BM's post above and realised I've basically said the same as him....................might be something in it.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Hopefully yesterday's defeat will give Hughes the wake-up call to play around a bit with a team which, unless somehow given a shot in the arm, looks like slipping back into mid-table obscurity. I would move Riordan away from the left to twin-strike with Stokes and encourage a wider attack from the left midfield.

I dont believe Hughes needed any wake up call, he will know whats needed, he will also know Bamba will be back soon. McBride will be back soon, and maybe a couple of new players will be arriving too. All that and Murray going back to full back will stop any slipping to mid table obscurity. :faf: And perhaps push us on to a fight for 2nd place.:wink:

Franck is God
17-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I am never happy when players are used in alternative positions.

Ian Murrays best position is left back, he can cover at centre half but thats it, Hanlon is a centre half playing at left back, he may be young but that is no reason to play him out of position.

We also need another player to cover McCann at right back so that Wotherspoon can play in his best position.

If McBride is fit then he should be back in the side ahead of Rankin, he is simply a better player.

If Riordan is in the side then he needs to be the 'spare' man, he simply doesn't have the work rate to be anything else. Otherwise we need to find an alternative to him at left midfield.

Stokes is a good goal scorer but not the greatest player, he link up play is poor and he doesn't lead the line very well, if he had a good partner that could do that for him he will get 20+ goals per season and I think it has to be either him or Riordan but not in the same forward line.

In Benji and Nish we have two forwards that can actually do the supporting striker role and neither one can do the job properly while the likes of Zemmama & Riordan are playing at the same time.

I want to see us playing a straight 4-4-2 with our best players in their right positions and if that means dropping a couple of players that may be considered our best players for the sake of the balance and effectiveness of the team then so be it.

My team for the weekend would be.

Smith

Thicot---Hogg---Hanlon---Murray

McBride---Miller
Wotherspoon-------------Galbraith

Stokes---Nish

Subs

Maka
McCann (hopefully or maybe even ready to start)
Stevenson
Rankin
Zemmama
Benji
Riordan

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-01-2010, 12:47 PM
More often this season we have played like a back four and a front six. When we played Well away and they stepped back and never got close to our players then it can be devastating, but against opposition that doesn't let you play, you can get found out very quickly. Gomis and Bauben had a grip of that midfield yesterday and we had no answer.

Ell_Chrisso
17-01-2010, 01:20 PM
The simple answer to your question, is YES.

The team were terrible yesterday. I feel sorry at most for Anthony Stokes, who in my opinion is trying harder than most, and having to run about up front by himself due to this non-sense 4-5-1. Why didn't Nish play? You seriously don't expect Stokes to out muscle Webster and Dodds by himself??

Derek Riordan needs a HUGE reality check. Sub for me from now on. Waste of space on the park, especially at Left Mid. The boy has no drive, can't run, Can only cut back, anytime he gets the ball. Doesn't have any Strength, and is a complete **** Bag! Im sorry, but i don't really care what folk think... The boy either is completely out the way, and up front where he can keep his moaning and lazyness up there.. or is on the bench. All this Hero non-sense is just Crap now. He needs to start working on the basic fundementals of pass, and MOVE!

I'd much rather see a Galbraith on the wing. Some-one with a bit of desire to get at a full-back.. with PACE and who will not leave our full back too exposed. ( As that's exactly what happens on the other wing with Zemmama also. )

Midfield seemed to be crying out for McBride on the park yesterday. Why didn't he start? Cregg has been left out for Rankin for several weeks, so why now McBride is back, are we sticking Cregg in instead?

I decided to back Rankin up last week, as i believe he trys hard. Alot of guys were slagging his slackness at passing the ball forward, and wasting oppurtunity's and they would be completely correct after yesterdays performance. Another who needs to give him-self a slap in the face.

Liam Miller, was completely poor. Worsed performance in Hibs shirt. But id rather it was in the game like yday when the whole team were basically rubbish aswell.

Get Wotherspoon to Right-Mid, and give Steven Thicot a shot! The boy hardly ever puts a foot wrong, and will do the simple things required from a full-back. I did post this Thought on Thicot last week, and a few people thought it may not be a good idea, but he proved with his chance yesterday, he's one of a very few, who could do a job there. Certainly don't want to see McCormack back in.

Last of all, Well done Graeme Smith. Fantastic game, and only reason we didn't get beat by more. Sure everyone there will agree.

So Yogi, time for this, "Shape up, or Ship OUT!"

houston1875
17-01-2010, 01:49 PM
when a team chops and changes its formation,confusion usually ensues,players get lost,confused outta position? 4-2-4..even the mancs and arsenal dinae go with that?
plus why cant benji get a start?? why not try nish and benji in a front two?
..but as a said in here last night,really could do with a formidable target man,get that sorted and goals will flow
kyle for a nominal fee would do! was at killie game month ago at rugby park and hes a handful,what our team is craving!! imagine stokes and deek feeding off kyle?

Franck is God
17-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't think that signing another striker is the answer in fact too many attacking players to choose from is the root of the problem in my opinion.

At Falkirk Yogi didn't have the same level of attacking talent to choose from so they made up for it with passing, movement and workrate. It didn't always get the results as the quality wasn't always there but they played nice football and were worth watching most weeks.

He has arrived at ER and is almost falling into the same trap that Mixu did, he knows he has better strikers but having them all on the pitch at the same time is not the answer. On a number of occasions this season we have had Benji, Nish, Riordan and Stokes on the pitch at the same time, all of these players need to have chances created for them. I like them all individually as players and think they can do a job but not as a forward line. Yogi needs to pick his best partnership and then work out the best way to create opportunities for them. For me it's Riordan or Stokes and one other but certainly not the two together. In a league cup game earlier this season I saw Benji play alongside Stokes and thought the interplay between them was excellent and would like to see that given another try.

I am sure that Yogi will get it right, we might see it in flashes this season but will more than likely be next year before we see any consistency.

Ell_Chrisso
17-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think that signing another striker is the answer in fact too many attacking players to choose from is the root of the problem in my opinion.

At Falkirk Yogi didn't have the same level of attacking talent to choose from so they made up for it with passing, movement and workrate. It didn't always get the results as the quality wasn't always there but they played nice football and were worth watching most weeks.

He has arrived at ER and is almost falling into the same trap that Mixu did, he knows he has better strikers but having them all on the pitch at the same time is not the answer. On a number of occasions this season we have had Benji, Nish, Riordan and Stokes on the pitch at the same time, all of these players need to have chances created for them. I like them all individually as players and think they can do a job but not as a forward line. Yogi needs to pick his best partnership and then work out the best way to create opportunities for them. For me it's Riordan or Stokes and one other but certainly not the two together. In a league cup game earlier this season I saw Benji play alongside Stokes and thought the interplay between them was excellent and would like to see that given another try.

I am sure that Yogi will get it right, we might see it in flashes this season but will more than likely be next year before we see any consistency.

Very good point! :agree:

Phil MaGlass
17-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Need to play Stokes and Deeks up front IMO.We definitely need McBride playing.
4-4-2