PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

monktonharp
16-01-2010, 10:11 PM
not read much of the other threads yet re-players (non)performances today,but it needs said.young spoony had an absolute nightmare today! his worst ever first team performance. much is said about Riordan,lazy etc but I disagree. in the first half he spent much of the time looking for the ball where our LB should be,and our RB was all over the place,doing nought good

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-01-2010, 10:21 PM
not read much of the other threads yet re-players (non)performances today,but it needs said.young spoony had an absolute nightmare today! his worst ever first team performance. much is said about Riordan,lazy etc but I disagree. in the first half he spent much of the time looking for the ball where our LB should be,and our RB was all over the place,doing nought good

Didn't understand why the positonal change to get us back into the game was to change the back four to get Spoony into midfield. In the end it made no difference but if you take a step back and think if the manager thinks this boy can make the biggest impact in midfield, then why the effin hell did he not start there?:confused:

Tyler Durden
17-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Didn't understand why the positonal change to get us back into the game was to change the back four to get Spoony into midfield. In the end it made no difference but if you take a step back and think if the manager thinks this boy can make the biggest impact in midfield, then why the effin hell did he not start there?:confused:

The move to the 3-5-2 wasn't designed just to "get Spoony into midfield". It gave us better width with Murray driving forward on the left and got Riordan into a position he could threaten from.

As for Spoony, he nearly scored an equaliser so it wasn't exactly a bad move. Couldn't disagree with the OP more, Wotherspoon didnt have a great game, but he was still one of our better performers.

Hibby Bairn
17-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Agree with this completely. Just play all the players in their correct positions and you will get a much better team performance. I think there are at least 5 not playing in their natural position including 75% of the defence!

CheesyHibby
17-01-2010, 08:40 PM
this is just it, wotherspoon in my opinion is NOT a defender, but could be a fantastic right-midfield player. he's got good passing vision, is probably our quickest player imo and a decent cross on him. don't think he should be singled out after the united game, there was plenty worse than him.

Bayern Bru
17-01-2010, 08:41 PM
this is just it, wotherspoon in my opinion is NOT a defender, but could be a fantastic right-midfield player. he's got good passing vision, is probably our quickest player imo and a decent cross on him. don't think he should be singled out after the united game, there was plenty worse than him.

Think the points being made are more that he had an unusually poor game, he's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

I'm sure it was a one-off.

Scotthibs1875
17-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Agree with this completely. Just play all the players in their correct positions and you will get a much better team performance. I think there are at least 5 not playing in their natural position including 75% of the defence!
What other options does Yogi have? Thicot at the back? i don't think so.

Hibby Bairn
17-01-2010, 09:46 PM

How about Hanlon playing CB - his position. Murray playing LB - his position. Hogg - where he is. And get a new RB or play McCann who was on the bench. It's not friggin rocket science Yogi.

hfc rd
17-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Pushing Spoony into Midfield will get the best out of him. Hopefully he will bring back the form he showed in the early part of the season when he played right midfield.

Ray_
18-01-2010, 04:31 AM

I thought Thicot was our best player on Saturday, he really tightened the right back area and made it far more difficult for United to get down that side of the park.

His passing was also a class apart from any other player on the park, as it usually hit its target, the rest was more akin to Sunday league stuff.

For what its worth, I thought the game on Saturday, involving the 3 & 4 top teams was a shocking example of Scottish football, our game really is dire.

Calvin
18-01-2010, 04:41 AM
For what its worth, I thought the game on Saturday, involving the 3 & 4 top teams was a shocking example of Scottish football, our game really is dire.
I concur.

On a more positive note, even though Spoony wasn't at his best, his crossing was still superb. Pretty much every time, all season, it has went right into the danger zone and given someone a chance of getting on the end of it, resulting in a few goals. Will be a real asset at RM.

ahibby
18-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I thought Thicot was our best player on Saturday, he really tightened the right back area and made it far more difficult for United to get down that side of the park.

His passing was also a class apart from any other player on the park, as it usually hit its target, the rest was more akin to Sunday league stuff.

Could it be attributable to training facilities not being fully usable at this time of year and players with niggles and missing. The current line up and fitness isn't the same as we saw when we played so well against Motherwell in the 1-3 win. We don't have many players who will get stuck in though when the going gets tough. I can only think of Hogg, Thicot, Murray and Miller who fit that category.

Ray_
18-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Could it be attributable to training facilities not being fully usable at this time of year and players with niggles and missing. The current line up and fitness isn't the same as we saw when we played so well against Motherwell in the 1-3 win. We don't have many players who will get stuck in though when the going gets tough. I can only think of Hogg, Thicot, Murray and Miller who fit that category.

That game, Ibrox and for twenty five minutes in the recent home game against Rangers, are about the only times where we can say that we have played really well, with the standard good.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Pushing Spoony into Midfield will get the best out of him. Hopefully he will bring back the form he showed in the early part of the season when he played right midfield.

How many games did he play in RM early in the season?

ancient hibee
18-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Bringing him into midfield would give us the drive that's been missing.

monktonharp
18-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Think the points being made are more that he had an unusually poor game, he's been one of our most consistent performers this season.

I'm sure it was a one-off.:agree:that was my point. was not trying to single him out,but he is young,and hope he does not burn out too early this season. would be better as a midfielder though.