PDA

View Full Version : 3-5-2

Mikey
16-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I like 3-5-2 and I reckon we've got the players to play it.

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

That line up would stiffen up midfield and allow Riordan to play up front.

hibbie02
16-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

:top marks

IWasThere2016
16-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree M .. But we cannae get Yogi to 4-4-2 never mind 3-5-2

Bayern Bru
Was contemplating this on the walk back to the car. We certainly looked better when we moved to the 3-5-2.
You could play Cregg in front of the back three, or behind the two CMs as a kind of sweeper. I like the idea though.

ronaldo7
They were far superior in the second half when they utilised that formation.

Westie1875
16-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

:agree: Wanna give Yogi a call? :greengrin

ronaldo7
16-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I agree M .. But we cannae get Yogi to 4-4-2 never mind 3-5-2

Did you just go hame in the second half:confused:

joejoefaemexico
16-01-2010, 08:35 PM
steven thicot in a hibs shirt is not a though i want in my mind. watching him 'play' comes 2nd to sticking pins in my eyes on a list of things i would rather do.

DaveF
16-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Do you mean Hibs?

I wouldn't say we were far superior at all. Better, yes. However we couldn't get much worse given our limp opening 45.

ronaldo7
16-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Do you mean Hibs?

I wouldn't say we were far superior at all. Better, yes. However we couldn't get much worse given our limp opening 45.

Yes, I meant Hibs and I should have clarified it was against our first half performance.

HELMIE-HIBEE
16-01-2010, 08:38 PM
:agree: 3-5-2 always liked the way we played in the Sauzee era...

Mikey_1875
16-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Would certainly sort out our problems in needing to find a RB. And when Bamba comes back he could slot in to maybe even replace Cregg??

Imagine a trio of

Bamba......................Miller
...........McBride (DM)...........

hibbie02
16-01-2010, 08:39 PM
steven thicot in a hibs shirt is not a though i want in my mind. watching him 'play' comes 2nd to sticking pins in my eyes on a list of things i would rather do.

Why? You think that a graduate of the French Football Academy is not Hibs quality? Most people who were at the game (rather than trying to find a way to pirate the match on the internet) said he was one of our better players today. Why don't you watch the game on BBC Alba (free on the internet btw)

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-01-2010, 08:41 PM

We were gash first half and the midfield weren't in it. Certainly better in the 2nd half but we took Utd by surpise with the formation (which I'm sure was a calculated ploy by Yogi).

My only worry if we were to stick with it would be the inexperience of Thicot and Hanlon.

Mikey
16-01-2010, 08:46 PM
We were gash first half and the midfield weren't in it.

The midfield's never in it and that's half the problem. Miller and Rankin/Mcbride aren't strong enough in the middle. Riordan and Zemmama provide very little defensive cover for the full backs.

hibbie02
16-01-2010, 08:50 PM
The midfield's never in it and that's half the problem. Miller and Rankin/Mcbride aren't strong enough in the middle. Riordan and Zemmama provide very little defensive cover for the full backs.

Nail on the head. The reason that we constantly get over run in midfield is because we only ever have 2 in there. Having 2 "luxury items" playing on the flanks has cost us.

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Would certainly sort out our problems in needing to find a RB. And when Bamba comes back he could slot in to maybe even replace Cregg??

Imagine a trio of

Bamba......................Miller
...........McBride (DM)...........

But Bamba is our best defender and we're pretty short of numbers there, and in midfield we have a lot of options. If we were to use this I'd go for

__________Stack

______Bamba___Hogg___Hanlon
Wotherspoon_______________Murray
__________McBride___Miller
_____________Zemmama
_______Stokes_______Riordan

Only person i would feel uncomfortable with in that team would be Hogg as Sweeper, due to his limited passing ability.

IWasThere2016
16-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Did you just go hame in the second half:confused:

I was pashed - dreaded hospy - but thought we were 3-4-3 second half!

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 08:53 PM

This wasnt a problem for the opening 10+ games when these 2 were together, its when Rankin has come in that we have been over run.

Toaods
16-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

I'll just quote that well know font of tactical knowledge, who managers hate as he points out their deficiencies, yup as alan Hansen always says onthis subject:

"3-5-2 is alright as long as you have three defenders who are all comfortable on the ball and can take it under pressure."

...that dispells any long term plans of 3-5-2 with Hogg anywhere near it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-01-2010, 09:11 PM

:agree:

I like McBride and have been well impressed with his partnership with Miller, but I'm slightly worried that it can't be operated on meaning that he's completely reliant on the orthotics he's using. Maybe this will determine how often he can train and play?

I'd like to see Yogi bring in a decent sized ball-winning midfielder for the kind of games where we know that kind of player is needed - even if it's a youngster that would be content to get the odd game here and there.

Probably get crucified for this but someone like Simon Mensing would be a good addition.

Mikey_1875
16-01-2010, 09:18 PM

I like McBride and have been well impressed with his partnership with Miller, but I'm slightly worried that it can't be operated on meaning that he's completely reliant on the orthotics he's using. Maybe this will determine how often he can train and play?

I'd like to see Yogi bring in a decent sized ball-winning midfielder for the kind of games where we know that kind of player is needed - even if it's a youngster that would be content to get the odd game here and there.

Probably get crucified for this but someone like Simon Mensing would be a good addition.

Good player imo can do a shift upfront aswell.

NaeTechnoHibby
16-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

Havnae read all the tnread, but, that's a decent formation :thumbsup:

millarco
16-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

I'd play Zemmama and Benji over Riordan and Cregg, and Bamba in for Thicot when he comes back. I'm not convinced Riordan can play in the centre position-he doesn't have the strength or pace to compete against centre-halfs, so we'd be relying on him finding space and time in and around the box and hoping we could get the ball to feet. Stokes would benefit from a partner up front to feed off. And for me if Zemmama is fit then he starts, he is our most technically gifted player and our only real creative force.

Andy74
16-01-2010, 10:05 PM

I know things get a bid mad on here after losing but Simon Mensing? Goodness me.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I know things get a bid mad on here after losing but Simon Mensing? Goodness me.

Don't turn your nose up Andy, and I'm not one for wringing the teacloth after a defeat. Mensing would have won us possession today and fed in Miller to allow the ball to move through midfield. I'm not advocating we play the "combative" type every week, but surely you can see that the option would assist Yogi on occasion.

Besides, whats the goal scoring rate of our central midfielders? Hows Mensing doing?

1875 NO 1
16-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

the 3 in the centre midfield have no pace, physical presence or a goal threat. Be suprised if cregg plays many more games. Miller and McBride neat and tidy but at times we need something to different to complement their qualities. Our midfield is easily bullied.

The two up top won't be able to hold the ball up and bring others into play. There is no out ball there. A target man is needed to play with either deek or stokes

Judas Iscariot
16-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I would prefer a 4-3-1-2..

Smith

Wotherspoon
Thicot
Hanlon
Murray

Miller
McBride
Cregg

Zouma

Stokes
Riordan

Thicot was good today and Hogg was crap again, how long are we going to carry him again without trying somwine else at CH whilst Sol is away..

I know Cregg was poor today but he likes a tackle and with Miller and McBride he can do the dirty work and let them get on the ball..

Zouma, aswell as Riordan, in the right position can be as good as anyone in the league!

Lets start playing the players in the positions where they play the best and are most effective!

Saorsa
16-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I would prefer a 4-3-1-2..

Smith

Wotherspoon
Thicot
Hanlon
Murray

Miller
McBride
Cregg

Zouma

Stokes
Riordan

Thicot was good today and Hogg was crap again, how long are we going to carry him again without trying somwine else at CH whilst Sol is away..

I know Cregg was poor today but he likes a tackle and with Miller and McBride he can do the dirty work and let them get on the ball..

Zouma, aswell as Riordan, in the right position can be as good as anyone in the league!

Lets start playing the players in the positions where they play the vest and are moat effective!You borrowed John's keyboard :wink: :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
16-01-2010, 10:40 PM
You borrowed John's keyboard :wink: :greengrin

I have a dyslexic iPhone :cool2:

PISTOL1875
16-01-2010, 10:57 PM
System is no good for the simple reason if the other team plays wingers all they have to do is stay up and not defend..

The question then is : What does our wingbacks then do ?? If he goes then there wingers are unmarked high up the park and not forgetting the oppostion full backs ?? They can play high up the park as well ......

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I'd prefer 4-4-2

Smith/stack

new player, bamba, new player, murray

wotherspoon/zemamma, mcbride, miller, new player

stokes riordan

matty_f
16-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd prefer 4-4-2

Smith/stack

stokes riordan

Looks good to me.

Would maybe give Galbraith a run on the left, though - and Thicot a chance at CH.

Barney McGrew
17-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I was pashed - dreaded hospy - but thought we were 3-4-3 second half!

I thought we were closer to that too.

Whatever it was, it was far more effective than how we set up first half.

ronaldo7
17-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought we were closer to that too.

Whatever it was, it was far more effective than how we set up first half.

I thought we started the second half in a 3-4-3 with Benji up front, but moved to a 3-5-2 with Benji moving back from the front. It looked very fluid to me, and we looked better than that first half pish.

Barney McGrew
17-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I thought we started the second half in a 3-4-3 with Benji up front, but moved to a 3-5-2 with Benji moving back from the front. It looked very fluid to me, and we looked better than that first half pish.

It was almost 3-4-1-2 by the end

ronaldo7
17-01-2010, 09:50 AM

It was almost 3-4-1-2 by the end

More 999 :wink:

Winston Ingram
17-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

I'm sure the rest of the league would love us to play 3-5-2 as well:agree:

Fifer
17-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I'd prefer 4-4-2

Smith/stack

stokes riordan
That sound's good to me.

Hibee_Rab
17-01-2010, 05:46 PM
What we played yesterday I would describe as a 3-4-1-2 with Murray and Wotherspoon playing as wingbacks. I think it seems a good idea as we have lacked width this season, and hopefuly zemmama can play in the space behind the two strikers if he is fit.

ahibby
18-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I'd go for 3-5-2. Swapping Hanlon and Murray (CH) and Rankin for Cregg.

HFC 0-7
18-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Smith

Hanlon
Hogg
Thicot

Murray
McBride
Miller
Cregg
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

I like 3-5-2, and think the formation was dropped to quick by managers a few years ago, although I dont fancy the back 3 to be honest. Murray yes but not the other 2, you need to really switched on and know the game inside out. I think we would cause problems for ourselfs at the back, but I would give it a go as we are playing mince just now.

nickwhibs
18-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Looks good to me.

Would maybe give Galbraith a run on the left, though - and Thicot a chance at CH.

Yep :agree:. 4-4-2 all the way. And you're right I'd give Galbraith a shot on the left until we were maybe to get someone else in.