PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous disagreement with a jambo.

Rory89
16-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Since I moved to Glasgow for uni I've met a fair few people, including this jambo lad upstairs. He's really sound and we have good football banter, but this argument I've been having with him is just ridiculous! Basically a few months back not long after I moved through we were having a wee slagging match re Hibs and Hearts, and this led to a bet being placed for £100 that our respective clubs would finish above the other. We both saved it on our phone for evidence and everything.

Anyway, last night he was saying that if I win the bet he wouldn't give me the cash, because we were drunk and it's only a bet between friends! First of all we both talked about the bet the next day whilst sober, and since when does a bet between friends mean you don't have to pay up? He's now saying that if I win he'll pay up, but if he wins he won't accept my money. I'm not having that because A) I'll happily pay up if I lose and B) I'm not having him make me out to be some evil *****er who steals their mates money.

What else can I say to this guy to convince him a bet is a bet? Even all the neutral observers are telling him he's wrong and he still won't admit it.

Bayern Bru
16-01-2010, 08:07 PM
He's a Jambo, and everyone knows how hard up for cash they are.
I'd get in touch with Revenue and Customs. I hear they serve winding up orders...
:cool2:

A bet's a bet though. He must be running scared. Tell him to "believe," and things like that.

xyz23jc
16-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Always remember the old Sex Pistols adage...Never trust a Jambo! :greengrin

Leithenhibby
16-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Tell him you have decided to give it to charity.....:devil:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Typical Jambo squiggle..... :grr:

Killiehibbie
16-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Take it and enjoy spending it. If the worst happens offer him his winnings and see if he refuses to take them, I don't think you'll have to offer him twice.

Rory89
16-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Take it and enjoy spending it. If the worst happens offer him his winnings and see if he refuses to take them, I don't think you'll have to offer him twice.

Exactly.

Last night we were 9 points clear with a game in hand, this "I won't take your money from you if I win because we're mates" patter is purely because as far as him and I were concerned at the time it's not going to happen, an empty promise. Things may be slightly different now, but even last night what he said is about like saying "alright landlord, I'll pay you your rent if Fife wins the olympics".

Believe me if I win this bet I'm getting my money back, if he says he doesn't have £100 I'll make him find me and give me 50p a day for 200 days. I'm skint but it's not about the money, it's about watching his face when he gives me the money, the fact he originally refused makes taking it even sweeter.

sleeping giant
16-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Tell him the bet is cancelled and not to even suggest a bet with you again.
Say the word Pffft a few times too.

greenlex
16-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Tell him you don't want to be mates with him any more and smack the smelly ***uer square in the puss.

Bayern Bru
16-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Tell him you don't want to be mates with him any more and smack the smelly ***uer square in the puss.

This reeks of personal experience Lex...
:cool2:

hibee_nation
16-01-2010, 11:34 PM
His names not John Findlay by any chance is it. :greengrin

Fantic
17-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Slightly of topic.

I used to bet a Jambo a tenner a season, that Hibs would finish above Hearts. He usually won... then one year we finished in the bottom 6 and they were in the top 6. I argued that because we ended up with more points than them, he was due me the tenner.

This went on for a few weeks until (to my amazement) he gave me the tenner.:greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
17-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I've just dug out my Yamathematics Annual 2010 and I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle; according to Section 07, page 62, if Hibs finish higher than Hearts then you won't win any money as any debt your mate finds himself in doesn't count as he only owes it to himself.

As I see it, you'll be present at the ATM as he withdraws £100 and puts it in his wallet. Debt squared up in his mind.

magpie1892
17-01-2010, 01:10 AM
I've just dug out my Yamathematics Annual 2010 and I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle; according to Section 07, page 62, if Hibs finish higher than Hearts then you won't win any money as any debt your mate finds himself in doesn't count as he only owes it to himself.

As I see it, you'll be present at the ATM as he withdraws £100 and puts it in his wallet. Debt squared up in his mind.

:top marks

Hainan Hibs
17-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Do what I did and just cut all Yam mates out your life.

Since that has happened my life has became a whole lot happier, healthier and just all round better:greengrin

Rory89
17-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Thinking of actually showing the guy this thread, something needs to be done to show the lad a bets a bet.

If you have any messages for a jambo who's sheiting himself, post here.

Petrie's Tache
17-01-2010, 05:53 AM
"Pay up cock rot"

That do?:greengrin

Rory89
17-01-2010, 06:01 AM
"Pay up cock rot"

That do?:greengrin

I'll try it, and if it doesn't I'll remind him every day that he's a stinge.

Last night offered him a pint race for money, and proceded to drink a pint sarcastically slowly. "No bother eh, it was only a bet anyway" was the response, he didn't look too impressed. :wink:

lapsedhibee
17-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Last night offered him a pint race for money, and proceded to drink a pint sarcastically slowly. "No bother eh, it was only a bet anyway" was the response, he didn't look too impressed. :wink:

:grr: I thought I'd drunk most things in my yoof, but almost certain I never drank a pint sarcastically. Done properly, how many units would that come to? :dunno:

.Sean.
17-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Tell him you have decided to give it to charity.....:devil:

As long as it's not a charity of his choice, he'll give it to Hearts.

3pm
17-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Arrange an interview for him if he doesn't pay up. That scares the 5h1t out of students.

iwasthere1972
17-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Since I moved to Glasgow for uni I've met a fair few people, including this jambo lad upstairs. He's really sound and we have good football banter, but this argument I've been having with him is just ridiculous! Basically a few months back not long after I moved through we were having a wee slagging match re Hibs and Hearts, and this led to a bet being placed for £100 that our respective clubs would finish above the other. We both saved it on our phone for evidence and everything.

Anyway, last night he was saying that if I win the bet he wouldn't give me the cash, because we were drunk and it's only a bet between friends! First of all we both talked about the bet the next day whilst sober, and since when does a bet between friends mean you don't have to pay up? He's now saying that if I win he'll pay up, but if he wins he won't accept my money. I'm not having that because A) I'll happily pay up if I lose and B) I'm not having him make me out to be some evil *****er who steals their mates money.

What else can I say to this guy to convince him a bet is a bet? Even all the neutral observers are telling him he's wrong and he still won't admit it.

Where does the phooker live? :grr: :hnet:

iwasthere1972
17-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Thinking of actually showing the guy this thread, something needs to be done to show the lad a bets a bet.

If you have any messages for a jambo who's sheiting himself, post here.

Text him now and tell him to look oot his windae. When he says "He can't see anything" just reply "That's strange we can all see you". :cool2:

sleeping giant
17-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Text him now and tell him to look oot his windae. When he says "He can't see anything" just reply "That's strange we can all see you". :cool2:

I got a text like that years ago. " We're outside, Look out the window if you don't believe me "
Then " Now we know where you live as we seen you looking out the Window"

****ty pants had i:agree:

erin go bragh
17-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Slightly of topic.

I used to bet a Jambo a tenner a season, that Hibs would finish above Hearts. He usually won... then one year we finished in the bottom 6 and they were in the top 6. I argued that because we ended up with more points than them, he was due me the tenner.

This went on for a few weeks until (to my amazement) he gave me the tenner.:greengrin
no no no :bitchy: you lost and should have paid him up [you will get us a bad name] thats the kind of pash they lot would try

Lmc2105
17-01-2010, 09:05 PM
i also have a £100 bet on with my uncle who lives in Peterborough and if he doesn't pay up al just go down and brake the old mans hip and take it from him:greengrin

Bit extreme mind:wink:

Steve20
17-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Thank yourself lucky, as your mate is going to win that bet.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-01-2010, 09:40 PM
i also have a £100 bet on with my uncle who lives in Peterborough and if he doesn't pay up al just go down and brake the old mans hip and take it from him:greengrin Bit extreme mind:wink: He would probably ask you why you broke his hip, without using any swear words though. Your reply could be along the lines of it was just a bit of banter!

Danderhall Hibs
17-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Stop it with all the positivity Steve FFS!

Get yourself downt the doc's in the morning and get your anti-depressants upped.

iwasthere1972
17-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I got a text like that years ago. " We're outside, Look out the window if you don't believe me "
Then " Now we know where you live as we seen you looking out the Window"

****ty pants had i:agree:

:faf: :faf:

Dashing Bob S
17-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Gambling debts are debts of honour.

You would be well within your rights to strike him with a sharp, solid jab to the face. Anything less and you'll hate yourself for moral cowardice, anything more would be excessive bullying.

Rory89
17-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Arrange an interview for him if he doesn't pay up. That scares the 5h1t out of students.

Got to love a good "bloody lazy students stealing my tax money" line.

I suppose it doesn't really matter who wins, either way it's you who's paying up. :wink:

If that happens I'll pay up, as someone has already pointed out I don't think I'll need to offer it twice.

The proof that he started the bet with the intention of taking my money is the fact that we set a price, if he genuinely thought it was only a meaningless bet between mates he'd of been as well betting 300 unicorns.

Gambling debts are debts of honour.

You would be well within your rights to strike him with a sharp, solid jab to the face. Anything less and you'll hate yourself for moral cowardice, anything more would be excessive bullying.

I think that might lead to a fall out, and I don't want that.

I'll just stick to what I'm doing now, relentlessly chipping away with comments about him being a stinge, no matter how many people are listening.

ChilliEater
18-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Jeez, I've heard it all now :shocked:

A jambo at Uni :confused: Since when did community service become a tertiary qualification?

Rory89
18-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Jeez, I've heard it all now :shocked:

A jambo at Uni :confused: Since when did community service become a tertiary qualification?

My brother moved to Glasgow a couple of years ago, and every second person he knows is a Hibs or Hearts fan.

I haven't met one other Hibby, and just the one jambo. Did nobody in Edinburgh go to uni this year? :confused:

Twa Cairpets
18-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Welching on a bet is one of the lowest acts known to mates. Remind him that you will make it your duty to ensure that you tell everyone you know that he has backed out of the bet, and anyone with any sense of dignity or honour will treat him with just that little extra bit of disdain reserved for the fundamentally untrustworthy.

Rory89
18-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Welching on a bet is one of the lowest acts known to mates. Remind him that you will make it your duty to ensure that you tell everyone you know that he has backed out of the bet, and anyone with any sense of dignity or honour will treat him with just that little extra bit of disdain reserved for the fundamentally untrustworthy.

He has now agreed to pay up should Hibs win this bet for me, but the fact that he actually tried to take the moral high-ground over the issue of paying up a bet means I'm already giving him a fair bit of stick tbh.

The Voice Of Reason
18-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Sadly, I was thinking the same thing myself. :boo hoo:

Bostonhibby
18-01-2010, 07:40 PM

:faf: and also looking at my Yamasaurus I regret to inform you that the wee team finishing above the big team by virtue of the wee team accumulating a higher number of points than the big team actually means that the big team have technically finished higher.............

PS If I were you I would just smack him

Rory89
18-01-2010, 07:46 PM
:faf: and also looking at my Yamasaurus I regret to inform you that the wee team finishing above the big team by virtue of the wee team accumulating a higher number of points than the big team actually means that the big team have technically finished higher.............

PS If I were you I would just smack him

Rule number 1 of arguing with a Hibs fan if you support Hearts:

If Hearts finish higher than Hibs, rip the pish out of said Hibby.

If Hearts finish lower than Hibs, you don't need to take a ripping back as "it's sad that finishing above us is an achievement for Hibs, we have bigger fish to fry".

Bostonhibby
18-01-2010, 07:49 PM
:thumbsup: sounds like a smacking might be the answer, or at least the most rewarding course of action

Rory89
29-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Getting excited about potentially swiping this boys cash very soon, a draw would probably do it. I was out with him the other night and he said I bet you £20 you don't go up that girl and say something stupid which I now can't remember, I said "fine, £20 it is" and he replied "nah I was joking". Such a jambo, I'll enjoy this one.

Mind you he kept offering to buy me £1 drinks that night off the tab as I had nowt, £86 it is now. :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
30-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Did you smack him / have you any plans to? :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
30-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Did you smack him / have you any plans to? :wink:

:greengrin

hibeenicol
30-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Getting excited about potentially swiping this boys cash very soon, a draw would probably do it. I was out with him the other night and he said I bet you £20 you don't go up that girl and say something stupid which I now can't remember, I said "fine, £20 it is" and he replied "nah I was joking". Such a jambo, I'll enjoy this one.

Mind you he kept offering to buy me £1 drinks that night off the tab as I had nowt, £86 it is now. :rolleyes:

Thought you would have been loaded after last weekend :wink:

Rory89
18-05-2010, 02:26 AM
The dick keeps saying how good Hearts will be next season, yet he is strangely refusing to make the bet again.

Him = :boo hoo:

matty_f
18-05-2010, 07:33 AM
The dick keeps saying how good Hearts will be next season, yet he is strangely refusing to make the bet again.

Him = :boo hoo:

Has he paid up yet?

Ryan91
18-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Tell him he's a deluded maniac and take him to your local GP and claim he is suffering from acute Madness. If he doesn't pay up, tell him as punishment that he has to sit in the Hibs end each time we play them, make sure you go with him, just to be sure.

hibee4life1983
18-05-2010, 12:00 PM
There all the same eh? Cants.

I bet gary mckays son 50 quid a few seasons back that we would beat them in the next derby, he actually started the whole, i bet u, i bet u.

Anyway we won and the wee yamster has never paid up and tried to say that because he was drunk at the time it didnt count!
Even though he went on bout it all week until the game kicked off.

Moral of the story?
Never trust a yam.

Baader
18-05-2010, 12:07 PM
There all the same eh? Cants.

I bet gary mckays son 50 quid a few seasons back that we would beat them in the next derby, he actually started the whole, i bet u, i bet u.

Anyway we won and the wee yamster has never paid up and tried to say that because he was drunk at the time it didnt count!
Even though he went on bout it all week until the game kicked off.

Moral of the story?
Never trust a yam.

Too true. I've made a few bets with a few Yams - at their insistence which they've lost out on. Taking a cue from their owner, they don't pay...

Phil D. Rolls
18-05-2010, 01:15 PM
See this guy that made the bet. Does he go by the name of Pilton Johnny? It's just that someone with that title came on here a few years back and made a bet he refused to honour.

I don't know if he ever did pay up. It's just that, I can't see every Hearts fan being so dishonourable. Given their war record and their wide spread fame as a noble club, I can't believe that many of them would be the type to shoot their mouth off and then disappear when they are shown up.

They have to be the same guy IMO.

poolman
18-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Iv'e had a £100 bet with my Yam mate for a while now whoever finishes higher in the league

It started out whoever lost paid for a good feed at a good restaurant, we always made sure the £100 got spent ( it was usually a bit more :drunk: )

It has now progressed to going away for a couple of days and for a few others to join in if they want

Two years ago it was Dusseldorf, last year Brussels and this year ( his treat :greengrin ) probably York

There was no danger that neither of us would not pay out

It's become a good yearly swally, even though he's 5-3 ahead :boo hoo:

Rory89
18-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Has he paid up yet?

We both agreed (after he eventually agreed to pay up should he lose after much slagging from everyone we both know) that as a result of both of us having limited finances to say the least, whoever loses isn't under a huge amount of pressure to pay back straight away. Therefore, we know have a deal whereby he'll pay me £20 a month for 5 months, think of it like him being Hearts and me Arbroath.

This suits me as I would've been gracious in victory, but after his early refusal to pay up I will rub it in every time he hands over money, making him my biatch for 5 months. The first months goes to a hun friend who I made a £20 bet with we'd finish above them earlier in the season, what was I thinking? :bitchy:

See this guy that made the bet. Does he go by the name of Pilton Johnny? It's just that someone with that title came on here a few years back and made a bet he refused to honour.

I don't know if he ever did pay up. It's just that, I can't see every Hearts fan being so dishonourable. Given their war record and their wide spread fame as a noble club, I can't believe that many of them would be the type to shoot their mouth off and then disappear when they are shown up.

They have to be the same guy IMO.

He isn't from Pilton and his name isn't Johnny, so I'd doubt it.

EskbankHibby
18-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I have unfortunately made the same mistake as the OP.

I have a regular £20 bet every season with about 5 or 6 jambos i know (5 this year).

Last year in typically classy Hibernian fashion i paid out early in a paddypower-esque gesture of humility, they were far ahead of us, it was the decent thing to do.

Not a f******* peep out of any of them thus far, obligatory predictable/tedious texts following the derby and believe it or not - the Scottish Cup final (my god they are obsessed with that).

Lessons to be learnt?

Never trust a jambo, from Romanov down to that boy that bolted with the memorial cash they are unable to face their 'real world' responsibilities. Walter F****** Mitty's.

FranckSuzy
18-05-2010, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Rory89;2472655]We both agreed (after he eventually agreed to pay up should he lose after much slagging from everyone we both know) that as a result of both of us having limited finances to say the least, whoever loses isn't under a huge amount of pressure to pay back straight away. Therefore, we know have a deal whereby he'll pay me £20 a day for 5 months, think of it like him being Hearts and me Arbroath.

This suits me as I would've been gracious in victory, but after his early refusal to pay up I will rub it in every time he hands over money, making him my biatch for 5 months. The first months goes to a hun friend who I made a £20 bet with we'd finish above them earlier in the season, what was I thinking? :bitchy:

You've got a good deal there :greengrin

Rory89
18-05-2010, 04:45 PM
You've got a good deal there :greengrin

Whoops, well spotted.

Indeed it's £20 a month, not day. I'll do what a jambo would do and edit it and pretend nothing happened. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
18-05-2010, 05:54 PM
No danger id let the hearts cant pay me in installments, If he never paid up there and then id kick 10 different shades of shight out the waster.

Yam bawbag.

Rory89
18-05-2010, 05:59 PM
No danger id let the hearts cant pay me in installments, If he never paid up there and then id kick 10 different shades of shight out the waster.

Yam bawbag.

Yeah well I get to give him a GIRUY as he hands over his cash 5 times rather than once, and I'll still be telling him to get it right up him at the end of September rather than all being forgotten by June.

Killiehibbie
18-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah well I get to give him a GIRUY as he hands over his cash 5 times rather than once, and I'll still be telling him to get it right up him at the end of September rather than all being forgotten by June.25% interest sounds reasonable.

ronaldo7
18-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I had a couple of wee wagers with two yams I know.

First one for £50. He paid up in full the other day. He was already £50 up from me.:grr: All square now.

The other one, a family member:grr: I told him I wanted a bet with my favourite number in it, so it was for £77. Next season it might be for £7:greengrin

Paid up in full with a cheeky chinese meal delivered to the hoose tae.

Result:greengrin

legends of 73
18-05-2010, 07:44 PM
i've been paid up from 4 out of 5 of my bets the last cant has until friday then his name will be hanging from the rbs bridge so everytime he drives to the airport for a fare he'll see him name and call sign

embarrass the cants into paying is the best way:greengrin

also had a bet with a jambo last saturday he said we will get papped out of europe before trades is over so i bet him a tenner which he took,then i told him we start our euro games on the 29 july took the tenner off the cant:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin