PDA

View Full Version : Old Course St Andrew

Hibrandenburg
16-01-2010, 05:22 PM
My mates got his birthday coming up and I was thinking about whipping him over to St Andrews in Feb. for a round as a present. Anyone know how to get on the old course.

Can I just call up and ask for a start time or will they laugh their plus fours off at me? :greengrin

Houchy
16-01-2010, 05:39 PM
My mates got his birthday coming up and I was thinking about whipping him over to St Andrews in Feb. for a round as a present. Anyone know how to get on the old course.

Can I just call up and ask for a start time or will they laugh their plus fours off at me? :greengrin

Don't know about booking it in advance but normally you enter the ballot the day before here: http://www.standrews.org.uk

Sylar
16-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Enter the ballot and you're usually as good as guaranteed a spot the next day, but in the summer months, it's harder, as demand is a bit bigger. March-May is usually a good time to play the Old Course. It plays back to front until then.

Hibrandenburg
16-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Cheers guys, thought the chance of getting on through the ballot were similar to winning the lottery but after reading that link it doesn't look too bad. Will probably be be combined with a Hibs game and a couple of days stay over, so if we don't get on the first time then maybe the next.

Cheers

Bayern Bru
16-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I could check with my flatmates - they play golf regularly, and I know they've played the Old Course a few times, so I could get insider knowledge if this might help?

Allant1981
17-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Dont be going to St Andrews, come and play at gleneagles, much better, plus you dont get a freezing wind coming off the sea

Pretty Boy
18-01-2010, 03:34 PM

One thing to remember when entering either the ballot or trying to book a time is that you will need to have a home course and a handicap as well. It's also a minimum of 2 golfers to enter the ballot or book in advance.

Baw187
20-01-2010, 11:50 AM
A guy in my work tried 3 weeks on the bounce before christmas to get a tee time through the ballet as a birthday present for his dad, and failed each time.

Also, think you have to play off mats until March on the old course.

I've played the Jubilee and that was spot on and there were no mats needed. Obviously not as prestigous as playing the Old Course though.

BroxburnHibee
23-01-2010, 08:14 AM
A guy in my work tried 3 weeks on the bounce before christmas to get a tee time through the ballet as a birthday present for his dad, and failed each time.

Also, think you have to play off mats until March on the old course.

I've played the Jubilee and that was spot on and there were no mats needed. Obviously not as prestigous as playing the Old Course though.

:agree:

Both the Jubilee & the New are excellent courses.

Hibrandenburg
24-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Cheers for the info guys. Just got off the phone with St Andrews and I'll try the ballot option with a caddie thrown in to add to the experience. The lassie on the phone said I've got a fairly good chance of getting him a start at this time of year.

Thanks for all the input, great as always on here. :greengrin

Allant1981
25-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Im actually staying in the hotel on the 6th of next month so hopefully will get a wee round in myself

goosano
27-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Im actually staying in the hotel on the 6th of next month so hopefully will get a wee round in myself

I've stayed in th Old Course Hotel twice and the staff that organised the golf have always 'managed' to get us on to the Old Course when we spoke to them-despite the fact prior phone calls to the course said that the ballot was the only way

IWasThere2016
27-01-2010, 08:19 AM

Enter the ballot and you're usually as good as guaranteed a spot the next day, but in the summer months, it's harder, as demand is a bit bigger. March-May is usually a good time to play the Old Course. It plays back to front until then.

Both the Jubilee & the New are excellent courses.

Have to say I enjoyed these more than I did the Old Course .. scored better on the old girl though - and left thinking it wasn't tough enough. Net 70 IIRC and drove like I was blindfolded! :grr: