PDA

View Full Version : Media & the OF

Father Ted
16-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Right, I've had enough of the OF everytime you watch the TV buy a newspaper listen to the radio all we ever hear about is these smelly weegie parasites with everyone else ignored even if its a non or old story all the media are guillty of shamelessly promoting rantic and it seems to me things are worse than ever. I don't know what has pushed me over the edge as it's been blatantly obvious for years but can we do something about it.

What do you guys think the outcome would befor instance if the other SPL teams were all to refuse to do interviews with any of the media unless the were contracted to, until we get a more balanced view that there are 12 SPL teams not 2. Would it have an effect if the media didn't have stories about the other 10 teams or would it play into their hands and they could focus more on the ugly sisters and just make up stories about the other teams?

Any views or other ideas how the non OF teams can pressurise the media into giving our team a fairer hearing? What can we do as Hibs fans to raise our profile in the media or will we just be pi22ing into the wind.:grr:

Hakim Sar
16-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Your banging your head mate. we all feel same but it's not as if buying a newspaper licence entitles you to a years subscription. the newspapers don't have to show proportional representation when reporting on a national scale - would maybe be different if it was the evening news covering loadsa hibs and ignoring hearts. It's all down to your choice as a consumer so don't buy the daily old firm or the sun or the Sunday black-mail. stick to the English broadsheets like the guardian for a more complete sports broadcast and get all ur hibs news directly from club website or here.

I'm sure the record for example has sales figures for different segments of Scotland but even if sales are reduced in Grampian or lothians Glasgow will still make up the difference. until the premiership boomed they lot down south used to hate the London bias media - it was notorious.

If hibs want to raise their profile in daily record stv news etc etc we need to win trophies - that's all.

EasterRoad4Ever
16-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Right, I've had enough of the OF everytime you watch the TV buy a newspaper listen to the radio all we ever hear about is these smelly weegie parasites with everyone else ignored even if its a non or old story all the media are guillty of shamelessly promoting rantic and it seems to me things are worse than ever. I don't know what has pushed me over the edge as it's been blatantly obvious for years but can we do something about it.

What do you guys think the outcome would befor instance if the other SPL teams were all to refuse to do interviews with any of the media unless the were contracted to, until we get a more balanced view that there are 12 SPL teams not 2. Would it have an effect if the media didn't have stories about the other 10 teams or would it play into their hands and they could focus more on the ugly sisters and just make up stories about the other teams?

Any views or other ideas how the non OF teams can pressurise the media into giving our team a fairer hearing? What can we do as Hibs fans to raise our profile in the media or will we just be pi22ing into the wind.:grr:

The Football Years..... more like the Old Firm Years. Started with 2003. An OF Fest :grr:

Father Ted
16-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Your banging your head mate. we all feel same but it's not as if buying a newspaper licence entitles you to a years subscription. the newspapers don't have to show proportional representation when reporting on a national scale - would maybe be different if it was the evening news covering loadsa hibs and ignoring hearts. It's all down to your choice as a consumer so don't buy the daily old firm or the sun or the Sunday black-mail. stick to the English broadsheets like the guardian for a more complete sports broadcast and get all ur hibs news directly from club website or here.

I'm sure the record for example has sales figures for different segments of Scotland but even if sales are reduced in Grampian or lothians Glasgow will still make up the difference. until the premiership boomed they lot down south used to hate the London bias media - it was notorious.

If hibs want to raise their profile in daily record stv news etc etc we need to win trophies - that's all.

You make good points but its not just the red tops, BBC Tv, BBC Radio, STV, Sky, are all just as guilty of this bias we can perhaps make a point by complaining more, I think the BBC in particular would bow to some sustained pressure:dunno:

marinello59
16-01-2010, 08:10 AM
The Football Years..... more like the Old Firm Years. Started with 2003. An OF Fest :grr:

Did you miss last weeks one on 1967 then?:greengrin

ronaldo7
16-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Did you miss last weeks one on 1967 then?:greengrin

It started off ok with the Scotland coverage but went downhill from then:wink:

A good wee reminder that der hun failed to win the cup winners cup in 67 brought a smile to my face though:thumbsup:

Brizo
16-01-2010, 08:26 AM

:agree:

Id add to that listening to shock jock tosspots Cameron and Traynors phone ins. While it might not make any difference to the medias OF obsession people will feel better for it.

Ive mates who rant about the OF and then buy the ****** and listen to the phone ins :confused: No point in complaining about the OF / media love in and then propping up the propaganda machine.

Hibstrooper
16-01-2010, 08:56 AM
It's nice to see BBC Alba buck the trend with the games they show - just a shame I can't understand a word they are saying.

Jack
16-01-2010, 09:13 AM
It's nice to see BBC Alba buck the trend with the games they show - just a shame I can't understand a word they are saying.

I think its in their licence that they must 'buck the trend'.
As for the Record what makes it even worse is that what we get is an East Coast edition and its still full of OF *****e.
I used to buy 2 or 3 papers a day but I haven't bought a paper for years and while this type of bias continues I never will.

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Agreed 100% on all postings regarding this, the guff that has been printed about Caldwell this week by both the DR and Sun is unreal, they feel they have to drag faceless people into the fold with headlines like "I know Gary will be a hit a Wigan" :yawn: and it's quite incredible the amount of pages that has focused on his move, despite my constant emails to complain about it to both rags they never answer, the last OF game had no fewer than 14 pages dedicated to the match and went on all week and that was enough for me to stop buying both these stupid newspapers full stop.

Angry, Leith

Moody Mulder
16-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Never bought a weegie newspaper for years, why would anyone outwith the tramps wish to buy them?

Seen the sickening adverts for espn a couple months ago where they were trying to get subscribers by showing novo scoring against hibs and kissing the badge, now please explain why any hibs fans after seeing this would want to sign up with espn?

Recent readership figures for newspapers cleary shows that the record and sun have lost lots of readers in the past 10 years so has the herald and evening times, is this because non old firm fans have given up buying them? I hope so !!!

The sun and record also rely on us visiting their newspaper websites everyday as the page hits give them more advertising revenue, again why should non old firm supporters do this when they only cater for the old firm?

Hit these media outlets in the pocket, after all setanta thought that they only needed to have the old firm fans onside to make a viable business model and it didnt work.

REAL SCOTS DONT READ THE RECORD !!!!!!

Hakim Sar
16-01-2010, 12:33 PM
the problem is the daily rancid brands itself as scotlands national newspaper maybe thus implying that it has a duty to be scotlands voice. Although they are cynically commercial they're no daft and just go where the money is. this then filters down to other media groups.

Evening news and hibs.net for me.

Moody Mulder
16-01-2010, 12:36 PM
the problem is the daily rancid brands itself as scotlands national newspaper maybe thus implying that it has a duty to be scotlands voice. Although they are cynically commercial they're no daft and just go where the money is. this then filters down to other media groups.

Evening news and hibs.net for me.

the daily rancid is never scotland national newspaper its a rangers rag and thats all !!!

Hakim Sar
16-01-2010, 01:05 PM
the daily rancid is never scotland national newspaper its a rangers rag and thats all !!!

yup - but the new adverts on STV have nonsense like 'proud to be Scottish' 'scotlands national newspaper' and other guff. I especially hate how hibs get some rehashed article that gets reused over and over (just updated players names) and is not anywhere near relevent to the games we witness tucked away inside the winner middle pages while old firm get the back 20 pages.

Surely the worst is when rangers face a crunch match against hibs and hearts and strangely the daily record reports walter smith is all of a sudden desperate to land Steven fletcher andrew driver andrius velicka etc

MrSmith
16-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Scotsman, EEN, Hibs site, .net and that's it!

I don't think Hibs talk to the Daily Record. As far as I recall they told the DR to get to ****, hence no advertising in ER.