PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Gary Caldwell!

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2010, 10:28 PM
When you hear that he's on £40,000 grand a week at Wigan, you almost feel like asking for a pay rise on behalf of poor old Rio Ferdinand.

Wigan deserve to be in massive financial difficulties and their board committed to a lunatic asylum for sanctioning this one!

Can't wait to see their games on Sky.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2010, 10:33 PM
When you hear that he's on £40,000 grand a week at Wigan, you almost feel like asking for a pay rise on behalf of poor old Rio Ferdinand.

Wigan deserve to be in massive financial difficulties and their board committed to a lunatic asylum for sanctioning this one!

:agree: Especially when his central defensive partner will quite often be Titus Bramble. :faf:

It should be comedy gold!

Hibercelona
15-01-2010, 10:36 PM
If being an over inflated nob end gets you 40k a week...

Then I should be on at least twice that. :agree: :wink:

iwasthere1972
15-01-2010, 10:41 PM

£2 million a year. Yikes!

Did anyone at Wigan actually see Caldwell play or was he just recommended to Whelan by Jack Regan. He'll soon get found out in the EPL. :agree:

The world has gone bonkers. :agree:

iwasthere1972
15-01-2010, 10:43 PM

There's no way that you're a nob end. A bookend maybe. :greengrin

stubru59
15-01-2010, 10:46 PM
What has the world come to?

Got to hand it to Gary, though, he's made a mockery of misrepresentation.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-01-2010, 10:49 PM

It genuinely does make me consider retrieving the Champagne Gold Adidas Predators from the loft and having one last crack at professional football.

If Gary "Special Needs Haircut" Caldwell can command 40 grand a week, then I, at 27 with a glass knee, a 20 a day habit and a predilection for Stella Artois can surely fetch up to £4million in this market.

Taz_hibee
15-01-2010, 10:50 PM
I thought i read he was on £24k a week which was £4k more than he would have got signing for GS

Hainan Hibs
15-01-2010, 11:03 PM
It genuinely does make me consider retrieving the Champagne Gold Adidas Predators from the loft and having one last crack at professional football.

If Gary "Special Needs Haircut" Caldwell can command 40 grand a week, then I, at 27 with a glass knee, a 20 a day habit and a predilection for Stella Artois can surely fetch up to £4million in this market.

Brilliant:faf::faf:

Lmc2105
15-01-2010, 11:11 PM
it makes you sick that a pleb like that is on so much money

surley wigan must be desperate there are more quality defenders than that plank!!

40 Grand jeeez wouldn't give him 40 Quid :bye:

Storar
15-01-2010, 11:15 PM
He does have a lego man hair cut, but I think he's a good enough player to play in the Premiership

Pheona
15-01-2010, 11:16 PM
He does have a lego man hair cut, but I think he's a good enough player to play in the Premiership

You havent sobered up after that Dublin trip yet have you?

Lmc2105
15-01-2010, 11:19 PM

with the form he was in last year mate i would agree with you but (sorry last season) just realized it was a new year!! to many high profile mistakes for me and wouldn't give him as much as he is getting now a would decrease what wigan are giving him by at Least 40 Grand:greengrin

down-the-slope
15-01-2010, 11:24 PM
40k a week :eyes: is that confirmed or rumor?

If true he is being paid the same as the entire Killie squad ........

Lmc2105
15-01-2010, 11:26 PM
40k a week :eyes: is that confirmed or rumor?

If true he is being paid the same as the entire Killie squad ........

am not really sure .. he is on big money though even that seriously he isn't premiership class Championship would have been a better level for him .. am surprised Dundee didn't approach him

...WentToMowAnSPL
15-01-2010, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Pedantic_Hibee;2310879If Gary "Special Needs Haircut" Caldwell can command 40 grand a week ... [/QUOTE]

You had me at 'Special Needs' ... :greengrin

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
15-01-2010, 11:31 PM
The money is totally crazy down there, well done to him for getting it.

stokesmessiah
15-01-2010, 11:35 PM

Gary was a good player for Hibs, and i for one think he will surprise a lot of ppl, and best of luck to him !!!

GGTTH

iwasthere1972
15-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Gary was a good player for Hibs, and i for one think he will surprise a lot of ppl, and best of luck to him !!!

GGTTH

Is that you Mrs Caldwell?

Lmc2105
15-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Is that you Mrs Caldwell?

:faf: only you eh :wink:

Jim44
15-01-2010, 11:41 PM
The money is totally crazy down there, well done to him for getting it.

I can't stand Caldwell but there's no point in slagging him off. Wigan, like the rest of us have seen his performances for the past ## years and have made their own value judgement. It'll be interesting to see if Levein sticks by him now that he is no longer playing with one of the clubs from Del Monte.

iwasthere1972
15-01-2010, 11:41 PM
:faf: only you eh :wink:

:agree: If thought you would have offloaded that humongous Hibs flag before Celtic got rid of Caldwell. Hope you find it a new home soon. :agree:

hibbie02
15-01-2010, 11:42 PM
FFS! 40K a week!!! I'm getting mah boots out!

Lmc2105
15-01-2010, 11:43 PM
:agree: If thought you would have offloaded that humongous Hibs flag before Celtic got rid of Caldwell. Hope you find it a new home soon. :agree:

aww don't worry about that :thumbsup:.. the Process is nearly complete i will be rid of it and it will be going to a new home

Thanks for volunteering:wink::greengrin

Crab apple
15-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Highly overated IMHO.

Steve20
15-01-2010, 11:46 PM
He is on 25k a week, which is unbelievable since he is crap. Seriously, How can someone be so bad at their job and get that much money?

God Petrie
15-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Wigan epitomise everything wrong with football and the signing of Caldwell only reinforces this fact.

Franck is God
15-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Caldwell was a good player for us, we missed him when he left and so will Celtic.

I think he'll do fine in the Premiership although he's just swapped covering for McManus every week for Bramble so he might not notice the difference.

jacomo
16-01-2010, 01:00 AM

Aside from his occasional rash decision-making, I think he's too small for the top level. He's gonna get bullied!

Regina Phalange
16-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Caldwell was a good player for us, we missed him when he left and so will Celtic.

I think he'll do fine in the Premiership although he's just swapped covering for McManus every week for Bramble so he might not notice the difference.

Caldwell isn't good enough to lace Bramble's boots. He was OK for us at times but I was happy to see the back of him when he left, and he had some OK spells for Celtic, especially his purple patch in the closing stages of last season, but in general has been stinking for them.

Celtic might miss him, but only because Loovens and McManus are muppets too and there is no guarantee that the new guy will be any better, but Mowbray has done the right thing in getting shot of him and trying to rebuild the defence. I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in another centre back as well.

CalgaryHibs
16-01-2010, 02:46 AM

==============
I pity Wigan for signing this BUM!!!!

We'll see how long he lasts...............................

Beefster
16-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Caldwell is yet another player who, because he makes the odd monumental blunder, is viewed as pish. He's not, as has been demonstrated by numerous POTY awards and being an automatic pick for Celtic and Scotland.

He'll do just fine in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

ronaldo7
16-01-2010, 08:04 AM
How long will it be before he scores his first OG.

I'll give him 5 weeks:wink:

Steve-O
16-01-2010, 08:36 AM
The worst of it is that the taxi-hailing erse will believe he's worth every penny.

Leithenhibby
16-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I can't get my head round the EPL clubs at the moment :bitchy:

They seem to think that they are immune to the fact that finances are tight but still insist on spending money on mediocre players.

It can only end in tears, and GC's move will most certainly end in tears. :boo hoo:

Unfortunately not for GC himself, with the Lego Man Haircut :top marks

But for the fans of Wigan..

IWasThere2016
16-01-2010, 10:52 AM
He's not on £40k a week.

He wanted £18k a week fae Cellic - was told tae bolt - and has signed for Wigan on £25k a week

These are the facts folks!

ArabHibee
16-01-2010, 11:01 AM
He is on 25k a week, which is unbelievable since he is crap. Seriously, How can someone be so bad at their job and get that much money?

You've obviously never met my ex-boss!

matty_f
16-01-2010, 11:18 AM
He's not on £40k a week.

He wanted £18k a week fae Cellic - was told tae bolt - and has signed for Wigan on £25k a week

These are the facts folks!

£25k a week for Gary bloody Caldwell. :faf:

Anyone that is prepared to spend that much on that clown deserve everything they get!

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I think people are being far too critical of his ability, he has been at the heart of a number of great defensive performances over the last few years, the home win over France, Celtics performances in the last few CL campaigns such as Milan, Man Utd and other big names at Home, and he did win player of the year last year. He also had the mental strength to take Celtic's first penalty in the CL deciding shootout with Spartak Moscow.

It was only 12 months ago that Celtic turned down a bid reported to be around £3m for him from Stoke.

Yes he is prone to error and silly mistakes, but not as much as people are making out, i am by no means a Celtic or Caldwell lover, but hes a decent player, certainly good enough for Wigan.

I would also say the same for Titus Bramble, yes he was an absolute bombscare back in his Newcastle days, but what defenders weren't in that era? Since his move to Wigan hes really cur down on the silly errors, and as a result his pace, strength and ariel ability have made him a key player at a now established premiership club, and has since been linked with a move back to a big club, of the top of my head, Everton and Sunderland have both been linked.

ancient hibee
16-01-2010, 11:21 AM
What's interesting is that over the last 5 years Wigan's income is nowhere near Celtic's.

HELMIE-HIBEE
16-01-2010, 11:50 AM
That will make it 2 of our classy ex centre halfs - Premiership quality recently! caldwell and martis :rolleyes: best league in the world!!
:confused:

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 11:58 AM
What's interesting is that over the last 5 years Wigan's income is nowhere near Celtic's.

However: Baines £5m, Bullard £5m, Palacios £16m, Valencia £16m, Heskey £3m

and they could get very decent fees in the near future for Figueroa, Kirkland, Rodallega and Scharner.

Jim44
16-01-2010, 12:08 PM
The amount of money involved is neither here nor there. What is funny is the way that the two parties have interpreted the situation. Caldwell claims that Mowbray was desperate to keep him but couldn't persuade the board to stump up. Mowbray however refutes this, claiming that all team 'ins and 'outs' begin and end with him.

down-the-slope
16-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Caldwell is yet another player who, because he makes the odd monumental blunder, is viewed as pish. He's not, as has been demonstrated by numerous POTY awards and being an automatic pick for Celtic and Scotland.

:agree: i'll second that.

Also his confidence often comes across as arrogance which is why so many dislike him.

Remember when Scotland played Italy over there and he did a fantastic man marking job. (just one example)

Riordans Boots
16-01-2010, 01:56 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking :agree:

Riordans Boots
16-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Like this one ...

http://www.worthlessthoughts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lego-hair.jpg

bobbyhibs1983
16-01-2010, 03:58 PM
i wonder what the odds/chances of him doing badly and 6months from now saying to the papers that he wished he never left a world class club like smeltic and that there fans are the best in the world and he loves them?

Billychaotic182
16-01-2010, 05:20 PM
just said on real radio that he got motm

down-the-slope
16-01-2010, 06:08 PM
just said on real radio that he got motm
:whistle:

HibbyAndy
16-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Spot on. Many laughed when i said he would do OK in the lower reaches of the Premiership for Wigan.

MOTM today i see?

benji49
16-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Judas end off:bye:

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-01-2010, 10:11 PM
25K a week from a team that last week got only 4,500 for an FA Cup tie? Mind you if he got MOTM today then good on him.:agree:

benji49
16-01-2010, 10:23 PM
25K a week from a team that last week got only 4,500 for an FA Cup tie? Mind you if he got MOTM today then good on him.:agree:
What a joke , thinks hes god tae:hnet:

I'm_cabbaged
16-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Think about why he scores OG's, 9 out of ten of them would have been goals anyway, how many goals does he stop? Apart from being one of the best man markers I've seen for Scotland what else makes him sheite? :confused:

benji49
16-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Think about why he scores OG's, 9 out of ten of them would have been goals anyway, how many goals does he stop? Apart from being one of the best man markers I've seen for Scotland what else makes him sheite? :confused:
What his vision on long balls are murder.
Watchin Chelsea 5 now

I'm_cabbaged
16-01-2010, 10:47 PM
What his vision on long balls are murder.
Watchin Chelsea 5 now

Did I mention his long balls? What if he's got a decent team where he can play short balls to midfield?

iwasthere1972
17-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Did I mention his long balls? What if he's got a decent team where he can play short balls to midfield?

Yikes no wondering he looks a wee bit awkward when he runs. :wink:

Speedy
17-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Highly overated IMHO.

Everyone seems to think he is crap :confused:

I'd say he was underrated if anything

Rory89
17-01-2010, 10:36 PM
However: Baines £5m, Bullard £5m, Palacios £16m, Valencia £16m, Heskey £3m

and they could get very decent fees in the near future for Figueroa, Kirkland, Rodallega and Scharner.

And Caldwell.

:faf: