PDA

View Full Version : Bamba - cash in, let's not end up with a King Larry

Toaods
15-01-2010, 09:03 PM
thought Bamba looked very strong again tonight. Not really tested as yet in this tournament so has had to keep focussed and for my money has done so.

Not scared(as we know) to speak his mind and to bigger 'names' at that.

Looks better than Kolo Toure without question (off topic but how slow is Yaya Toure?)

Bamba will always have his doubters but he could play at the top level if only for his athleticism and swagger.

Ivory Coast may well go on to win this tournie and even if they don't, lots of very rich clubs will be taking a look at Bamba and saying to themselves 'Hibernian? in Scotland?......... get the cheque book out."

The big guy has been a revelation since he walked through our doors and hopefully he can walk out to a be a very rich man with us getting a large wedge too.

This new East Stand could be paid for in one flying move.

I hope we all keep things in perspective and don't winge if and when he gets sold as the last thing we'd want is a King Larry on the books sucking the cash out of us. The Yams must be spewing every time they see the words African Nations.....:greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
15-01-2010, 09:06 PM
As my signature says, "We've got Sol".

Enjoy him while you can chaps, he's onto bigger and better things and deservedly so, he's f****ng outstanding :agree:

CentreLine
15-01-2010, 09:23 PM
It was interesting to hear the commentator saying how (Richard) Kingston, Ghana's keeper, never played for his clubs but regularly plays international football.
:hmmm: Kingston Eh? What's in a name?

DC_Hibs
15-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Completely different scenario from Larry - who I admire greatly.

Larry - picks and chooses when he plays, more often than not doesnt - unless its his country - and when he does play gives about 50% effort. 10k a week and not a chance of getting that elsewhere so happy to milk the gorgie slags for as long as poss.

Bamba - gives his all and contributes greatly - 1.5k a week if he's lucky (wasnt exactly setting the heather on fire at Dunfermline and is still on that original deal I think) and will likely move on for wages between 5 and 10 times that. Will be choking for a move to earn his worth yet it wont affect his attitude or commitment whilst at Hibs.

Well done Sol, you move with my best wishes when the time comes. Hot Rod will ensure we are well compensated as normal.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2010, 09:36 PM
It was interesting to hear the commentator saying how (Richard) Kingston, Ghana's keeper, never played for his clubs but regularly plays international football.
:hmmm: Kingston Eh? What's in a name?

He's Larry's brother. :agree:

Toaods
15-01-2010, 09:45 PM

...even though their surname is actually KINGS (no T) ON.

Pretty Boy
15-01-2010, 09:46 PM

He's also not a bad keeper, unlucky that Kirkland is pretty much undroppable when fit. Believe he's looking to move on in the near future as they have just signed another keeper on loan and he dropped behind the utterly useless Mike Pollitt in the pecking order.

Also interestingly the correct spelling of both his and Larrys' name is Kingson, not Kingston.

Toaods
15-01-2010, 10:00 PM
...even though their surname is actually KINGS (no T) ON.

Also interestingly the correct spelling of both his and Larrys' name is Kingson, not Kingston.

...bit of trivia from the last African Nations (I'm a fan of this tournie as I nearly won a prize once...:wink:)....

"Larry Kingson went to have his first passport issued but the administrator thought he'd said his name was Kingston, as in Jamaica and a mistake was made. The player realised the mistake but the government officials refused to reissue an amended one."

...wot, no paperwork needed in Ghana....:faf:

Jim44
15-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Faced with the reality that he is going to be sold in summer at the latest, it seems surprising that Petrie (if reports are accurate) accepted a 'sell-on clause' of 40% with Dunfermline. He'll be kicking himself and Yorkson will be wetting himself. :greengrin Mind you, maybe Dunfermline saw the £££ signs when Petrie didn't ..........good on them as it will make up for the potential loss of a big pay day against Celtic in the Cup.

GlesgaeHibby
15-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Faced with the reality that he is going to be sold in summer at the latest, it seems surprising that Petrie (if reports are accurate) accepted a 'sell-on clause' of 40% with Dunfermline. He'll be kicking himself and Yorkson will be wetting himself. :greengrin Mind you, maybe Dunfermline saw the £££ signs when Petrie didn't ..........good on them as it will make up for the potential loss of a big pay day against Celtic in the Cup.

The sell on clause could turn out to be untrue, and I sincerely doubt it will be as high as 40% if there is one.

joebakerforever
16-01-2010, 02:01 AM
When Bamba is sold, we must buy in a replacement of similar physique.

We really toil with a lack of height in defence when Bamba is missing.

Heard Alan Preston on the radio mention that he reckons the reason Darren Barr has not yey been signed up by an English Premier/Championship club is because he is not tall enough for them.

Would prefer we signed a big bruiser rather than Barr as replacement for Sol.

dirtydirk
16-01-2010, 07:41 AM
The sell on clause is quite large and thats a fact. They are basically relying on us selling sol to keep there club afloat. There main backer is supposingly loosing interest and the fact they have been kicked out the cup didnt help that situation. They were hoping we would sell bamba in this window as it would bankroll the club till the summer

Sandy
16-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Would you believe my hotel are not showing the African nations cup :grr: or if they are it is not on in my room, cannae go down and watch in the lobby either after a couple of sneaky sherberts :greengrin, the buggers can smell it a mile off :boo hoo:

ANDY McGEECHAN
16-01-2010, 08:24 AM

Heard Alan Preston on the radio mention that he reckons the reason Darren Barr has not yey been signed up by an English Premier/Championship club is because he is not tall enough for them.

What, like Colin Murdock :bitchy::bitchy::bitchy:

hibsbollah
16-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Agree with the OP :top marks

As I posted somewhere else;

Drogba: 24mill
Kolo Toure :14mill
Yaya Toure: 9mill
Didier Zokora: 9mill

Sol hasnt looked out of place in the Elephants squad and its very possible that we could get an offer that dwarfs the Scott Brown money.

PaulSmith
16-01-2010, 08:50 AM
The sell on clause could turn out to be untrue, and I sincerely doubt it will be as high as 40% if there is one.

circa 20% IMO

marinello59
16-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Would you believe my hotel are not showing the African nations cup :grr: or if they are it is not on in my room, cannae go down and watch in the lobby either after a couple of sneaky sherberts :greengrin, the buggers can smell it a mile off :boo hoo:

Aye Sandy, every other room has it. Who have you upset?:greengrin

degenerated
16-01-2010, 10:22 AM

allan preston is a bellend. :agree:

i would prefer we signed a footballer than some giant. Canavarro is smaller than Barr and he did not bad iirc

Jack
16-01-2010, 10:25 AM
There are a couple of folk on pars.net who think their cut is 40% however most folk reckon its 20%.

dirtydirk
16-01-2010, 10:29 AM
There are a couple of folk on pars.net who think their cut is 40% however most folk reckon its 20%.

Even if it is 40% it's still been a good bit of business by Rod.
We paid 50k for him, so even if he went for say 2 million, we would have still made a lot of profit on a 50k investment in only 2 seasons. Dont think we could really complain with the return on it.

HibbyAndy
16-01-2010, 10:36 AM
If Bamba played for the Ugly's he would be sold on for 7 8 9 Million..(Boumsong and Cuelier back that up).

Hibs will get 2M IMO.

Sandy
16-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Aye Sandy, every other room has it. Who have you upset?:greengrin

Sod off mate :greengrin Can't even get HI to work in my room, did a network speed test and I was getting a download speed of 7k from an 11 Meg link :boo hoo:. Need to get moved to my 'brand new' apartment :faf:

Anyhoo balk on topic, I think we will get an offer in the region of 3 million for big Sol if he keeps performing like this (not that I have see it :grr: )

PaulSmith
16-01-2010, 11:00 AM
If Bamba played for the Ugly's he would be sold on for 7 8 9 Million..(Boumsong and Cuelier back that up).

Hibs will get 2M IMO.

I don't know how anyone can think that a player who is a main plays for one of the top international teams going would only fetch 2m. Bamba will end up playing for in one of the top leagues in Europe. 5m will be the starting figure.

Toaods
16-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't know how anyone can think that a player who is a main plays for one of the top international teams going would only fetch 2m. Bamba will end up playing for in one of the top leagues in Europe. 5m will be the starting figure.

:agree:.......£2 million pound before Petrie will even consider calling you back to open talks.

HibbyAndy
16-01-2010, 11:04 AM

There aint a hope in hell Hibs will get that for Bamba.

No chance whatsoever, i know he's good enough to play at a higher level, i know he plays for a top international side, i also know he'd cakewalk the Premiership,BUT there is no danger Hibs will command such a fee you refer too.

Dashing Bob S
16-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Its a strange one. We could get stiffed here as Andy say, but there could also be, as you suggest, Paul, a bidding war around the end of the month if Bamba continues to perform.

What seems certain is that we keep raking in the cash, bringing players in and on and completing our infrastructure, while others, no names mentioned, can only dream of being in such a position.

Jack
16-01-2010, 11:06 AM
We already have a bid of £2.5m from some French club so onwards and upwards from their.

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 11:10 AM
The sell on clause is quite large and thats a fact. They are basically relying on us selling sol to keep there club afloat. There main backer is supposingly loosing interest and the fact they have been kicked out the cup didnt help that situation. They were hoping we would sell bamba in this window as it would bankroll the club till the summer

If this is the case, then surely there would be room to negotiate buying the sell on clause if they are hoping for quick cash, and we dont plan on selling until the summer. Perhaps a £300k one off payment or something, instead of as much as the 40% of £4m that has been quoted...

McIntosh
16-01-2010, 11:17 AM
We already have a bid of £2.5m from some French club so onwards and upwards from their.

The club has already received two offers - one from England and the other from the continent, one has offered more than £2.5 million but with staggered payments, Hibs want the money upfront.

I expect him to be sold in this window for £3.5 - £4.0 million this I am informed is the figure that the club will consider.

RickyS
16-01-2010, 11:24 AM

imagine it was the Yams they were relying on! they would get the money in 2012 after 8 court appearances:jamboak:

HibbyAndy
16-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Whats SB contract?

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Whats SB contract?

18 months remaining

Sandy
16-01-2010, 11:44 AM
The club has already received two offers - one from England and the other from the continent, one has offered more than £2.5 million but with staggered payments, Hibs want the money upfront.

I expect him to be sold in this window for £3.5 - £4.0 million this I am informed is the figure that the club will consider.

Sounds about right, how much is the East costing again :greengrin

dirtydirk
16-01-2010, 11:46 AM
18 months remaining

This sounds a bit strange but I heard that Bamba's agent is claiming that in the summer Bamba is not tied to any contract whatsoever. I know this seems crazy but it came from a pretty good source.

Cocaine&Caviar
16-01-2010, 11:47 AM
This sounds a bit strange but I heard that Bamba's agent is claiming that in the summer Bamba is not tied to any contract whatsoever. I know this seems crazy but it came from a pretty good source.

Rediculous.

dirtydirk
16-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Rediculous.

I dont believe it myself, just telling what I got told and it was from someone tied to a club

McD
16-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I dont believe it myself, just telling what I got told and it was from someone tied to a club

I thought every player had to be under contract (or a trialist) to get medical insurance to play, and them not being covered would be taking a huge risk. This is also true for the club, as if he was badly injured he'd be able to sue the club as he was operating under their auspices.

Also, I'm sure that players in the SPL have to be signed to a contract, trialists are not allowed to play in league matches - remember hearts had this issue with captain caveman pressley a few years back when he wanted more money and was out of contract, he could play in the preseason friendlies but was not gonna be able to play league games but signed a new deal very shortly before the league season started.

On top of all that, he played well for us in overall poor season last year, I can't see petrie allowing a big sellable asset to be playing without a contract and therefore no fee when he moves.

jdships
16-01-2010, 01:03 PM
thought Bamba looked very strong again tonight. Not really tested as yet in this tournament so has had to keep focussed and for my money has done so.

Not scared(as we know) to speak his mind and to bigger 'names' at that.

Looks better than Kolo Toure without question (off topic but how slow is Yaya Toure?)

Bamba will always have his doubters but he could play at the top level if only for his athleticism and swagger.

Ivory Coast may well go on to win this tournie and even if they don't, lots of very rich clubs will be taking a look at Bamba and saying to themselves 'Hibernian? in Scotland?......... get the cheque book out."

The big guy has been a revelation since he walked through our doors and hopefully he can walk out to a be a very rich man with us getting a large wedge too.

This new East Stand could be paid for in one flying move.

I hope we all keep things in perspective and don't winge if and when he gets sold as the last thing we'd want is a King Larry on the books sucking the cash out of us. The Yams must be spewing every time they see the words African Nations.....:greengrin

Don't understand your comparison with Kingston who is reputed to be on at least 10K per week

:confused:

NAE NOOKIE
16-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Think we could get certainly between 3.5 to 4.5 million for Bamba. I mean c'mon, if Aiden McGeady is being touted as over 10 million the skys the limit.

That would give us a million to spend on 2 or 3 vital players and about 2 million towards the East Stand.

Would be sorry to see Sol go, but its gonna happen and Hibs have been pretty good over the last few years at making the most of situations like this.

In Rod we trust ............. At the moment :greengrin

GloryGlory
16-01-2010, 01:29 PM

I doubt it's true - for the simple reason that Petrie is far too astute. If Sol really can go at the end of this season, Petrie would have ensured we cashed in last summer. Just me opinion, anyway!

Toaods
16-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't understand your comparison with Kingston who is reputed to be on at least 10K per week

:confused:

it was merely the thought of a player ending up in dispute with a club who didn't release him. of course there's a world of difference between the crazy wages being paid toKingston and almost every other player in the league. I belive SOL targetted this tournament as his big chance to get into the upper echelons of football wages, hence the reason he was 'injured' recently and the fact Yogi seems to be constantly unable to contact him or his management at Ivory Coast.

I doubt it's true - for the simple reason that Petrie is far too astute. If Sol really can go at the end of this season, Petrie would have ensured we cashed in last summer. Just me opinion, anyway!

I'm not about to start arguung my side of it as I can't even remember when but I was told ages ago it was a big sell-on clause. Pars didn't want to sell and Hibs needed to cut some slack as we were desperate for a quick move to cover injuries.

HibbyAndy
16-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Bamba has 18 months of his contract remaining and if he still with us in the summer it will be down to just a year left, for those that reckon we will rake in 5M plus for him need to have a word.

Like i say it will be 2M IMO.

sahib
16-01-2010, 08:59 PM

I don't think he is astute. I would suggest dour and cautious.