PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United game is our most important of the season so far

hibs0666
15-01-2010, 07:01 AM
In amongst all the guff being discussed, it is quite interesting to see that there is no thread about tomorrows game. This is a bit of a surprise seeing as its probably the most important of the season - certainly far more important than the yams game at new year.

KWJ
15-01-2010, 07:16 AM
While I agree it's an important game I don't think we should turn it into a large pressure affair. Truth is a point would be good and defeat is quite likely.

I'd still rather have won the Hearts match.

poolman
15-01-2010, 07:19 AM
While I agree it's an important game I don't think we should turn it into a large pressure affair. Truth is a point would be good and defeat is quite likely.

Why is that then :confused:

Bayern Bru
15-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Why is that then :confused:

It wouldn't be .net without a little bit of doom and gloom. :wink:

Joking aside, probably because our last few performances have been suspect to say the least, and an up-for-it United side could probably capitalize on the mistakes and lax defending we've been guilty of in recent weeks.

KWJ
15-01-2010, 07:26 AM
We've not been playing great, they are a good team and they are home.

We've got a chance for sure but there is a chance we'll be beaten too.

GlesgaeHibby
15-01-2010, 07:28 AM

Really?

Given our recent record at Tannadice I'd say otherwise. We've drew all recent games I can remember there for the past few seasons.

KWJ
15-01-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm certainly not doom and gloom. I'm just hoping that should we lose people realize It's not the end of the world as it was a difficult game. We'd be in 4th which is still good going. Jambo's will be giving it "POP" and we shouldn't be giving the team a hard time.

GGTTH.

Bayern Bru
15-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm certainly not doom and gloom. I'm just hoping that should we lose people realize It's not the end of the world as it was a difficult game. We'd be in 4th which is still good going. Jambo's will be giving it "POP" and we shouldn't be giving the team a hard time.

GGTTH.

Very true - I know you're more realistic than a D&G'er. :agree:
For a lot of people, should we lose tomorrow, that will be the season over, the wheels off etc. And you're absolutely right - it is a possibility.

That said, I hope we tank them tomorrow, partly as a statement and also to instill a bit of confidence within the players and the fans.

GGTTH indeed.

hibs0666
15-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Must admit I see it differently. Tomorrow offers the opportunity to consolidate third place by beating our nearest rivals - the herats game was just about local bragging rights.

Steve20
15-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Really?

Given our recent record at Tannadice I'd say otherwise. We've drew all recent games I can remember there for the past few seasons.

We lost 2-0 there last season.

Might be doom and gloom, but I also don't think we will get anything from the game tomorrow. We are not playing well and I think Utd are starting to pick up again after two good away wins.

PeeKay
15-01-2010, 07:53 AM

We are not playing well and I think Utd are starting to pick up again after two good away wins.

Sure they won, but it was only 0-1 against Hamilton and 0-2 against Partick (with the hand of Casalinuovo playing a big part). I would hope that we will give them a sterner test with the strike force that we have at our disposal.

KWJ
15-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't think anyone doesn't believe we can win, it's just that it's going to be a very difficult game and the team don't deserve a backlash that'll no doubt come from some of the support should we slip to 4th.

Godsahibby
15-01-2010, 08:03 AM
All this "biggest game of the season" stuff is nonsense, 3 points is 3 points doesnt matter where you pick them up every game is just as important. When games are built up like this in the press and by supporters it just puts added pressure on the players. Team should treat this like any other game, play the way we know we can play (against DU earlier on in the season) and we've got the quality to pick up the points.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I think that we are overdue a win at Tannadice but not sure that it will come this weekend. Set pieces and high balls into the box are what United will hit us with and this is where our lack of tall players at the back comes under real scrutiny. Not wanting to start another formation debate, but when you see how much width they get and how far their full backs push up the pitch, three in the middle is sometimes not the best option.

MacBean
15-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I have an unbeaten record when i have attended hibs matches at Tannadice and im hoping to add to that tomorrow.

I also have an unbeaten record at Ibrox (in the league) too! (3-0, 3-0 :greengrin)

Baldy Foghorn
15-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I have an unbeaten record when i have attended hibs matches at Tannadice and im hoping to add to that tomorrow.

I also have an unbeaten record at Ibrox (in the league) too! (3-0, 3-0 :greengrin)

one of the 3-0 wins was in Scottish Cup

PeterboroHibee
15-01-2010, 10:00 AM
We've not been playing great, they are a good team and they are home.

We've got a chance for sure but there is a chance we'll be beaten too.

Neither team have been playing well, but our results have been slightly better than theirs (apart from maybe the Hamilton game but that was a game in hand).

Apart from the Hamilton and Partick wins, theyve been on poor form, gubbed by Rangers and failing to score in their last 3 home games.

With neither team playing well, Id have the majority of our players of theirs every time; we can see how easily Stokes, Zemmama or Riordan can change a game. United have good players, but noone who can really do that.

I agree with you in that its a tough game, away from home, but United are no better than us. The Hearts result is gone, we didnt get 3 points, so that can be made up tomorrow. The players need to be up for it, which Im sure Yogi will have sorted out, they need to give their all.

Austinho
15-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Might be doom and gloom, but I also don't think we will get anything from the game tomorrow. We are not playing well and I think Utd are starting to pick up again after two good away wins.And it was the first time they had beaten us home or away since 2005. We've lost once at Tannadice in the last 7 games.

So nothing to fear.

In fact, with 16 league wins, and only 6 defeats against Dundee Utd in the last 10 years, I would suggest there are few teams that we have a better record against.

ancient hibee
15-01-2010, 10:15 AM
If we want to compete at the top of the league every game we play is the most important game of the season.

Rory89
15-01-2010, 10:30 AM
How is the biggest game so far of the season? We could drop loads of points and still finish third. Win, lose or draw I'll still think 3rd can happen.

Clearly the Rangers game was much bigger as we were all trying to work out ourselves if the aim is a challenge to Rantic or 3rd, and we got humped. Win that game and the mood would be very different, I don't think we would be worrying too much about DU if we'd made Rangers **** themselves that day.

PeterboroHibee
15-01-2010, 10:36 AM
How is the biggest game so far of the season? We could drop loads of points and still finish third. Win, lose or draw I'll still think 3rd can happen.

Clearly the Rangers game was much bigger as we were all trying to work out ourselves if the aim is a challenge to Rantic or 3rd, and we got humped. Win that game and the mood would be very different, I don't think we would be worrying too much about DU if we'd made Rangers **** themselves that day.

Because beating the teams around you is what is important, and United are our biggest rivals for 3rd. Theres a decent gap between 3rd/4th and 5th, 3 points tomorrow would see us go 5 ahead of United, with a game in hand, and could go 12 points clear of Hearts if they dont win.

Obviously it isnt over if we dont win tomorrow, but it would be good to have a bit of a gap between us and 4th.

tony higgins
15-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Because beating the teams around you is what is important, and United are our biggest rivals for 3rd. Theres a decent gap between 3rd/4th and 5th, 3 points tomorrow would see us go 5 ahead of United, with a game in hand, and could go 12 points clear of Hearts if they dont win.

Obviously it isnt over if we dont win tomorrow, but it would be good to have a bit of a gap between us and 4th.

:top marks

monktonharp
15-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't think anyone doesn't believe we can win, it's just that it's going to be a very difficult game and the team don't deserve a backlash that'll no doubt come from some of the support should we slip to 4th.yup,but most of the backlash will be from this site,not entirely made up of people going to support the team at the match.it will be a hard game to win,...............for both teams,as neither have set the heather on fire recently,and one side still has a game in hand

Cocaine&Caviar
15-01-2010, 12:48 PM
The best performances we've had this season have all been away when we haven't been expected to win, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Ibrox, admitadley we were rubbish in Hamilton and Kilmarnock. If we can replicate the performances mentioned though, im very confident we'll come away with at least a point tomorrow.

KeithTheHibby
15-01-2010, 04:29 PM
The least I expect tomorrow is a draw.

Man for man we are a better team than United, play to our capabilites and we should win.

GGTTH.

Baader
15-01-2010, 04:36 PM
The least I expect tomorrow is a draw.

Man for man we are a better team than United, play to our capabilites and we should win.

GGTTH.

Well said. We are a good side and as our record this season shows, no pushover. Never cocky when it comes to Hibs but I'm hoping for 3 points...

hibs0666
15-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Because it is a six-pointer.

Long suffering
15-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Really?

lost 2-0 last season there actually :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
15-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Because it is a six-pointer.

It is only worth 3 points, like every other league match

Toaods
15-01-2010, 09:04 PM
It is only worth 3 points, like every other league match

exactly...someone tells us the next game is the most important game of the season so far every week :grr: ...no one game is any less important than the others*, perhaps just not as 'shexshay' as Ruud might have shed...:greengrin

*until such times as the title is wrapped up.

CalgaryHibs
16-01-2010, 02:17 AM
In amongst all the guff being discussed, it is quite interesting to see that there is no thread about tomorrows game. This is a bit of a surprise seeing as its probably the most important of the season - certainly far more important than the yams game at new year.

=============
Aye win today will go along way for us , its vital we win

BryanV
16-01-2010, 06:34 AM
I think Hearts are still a big threat for third place, it remains to be seen how United do without Levein.

erin go bragh
16-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I think that we are overdue a win at Tannadice but not sure that it will come this weekend. Set pieces and high balls into the box are what United will hit us with and this is where our lack of tall players at the back comes under real scrutiny. Not wanting to start another formation debate, but when you see how much width they get and how far their full backs push up the pitch, three in the middle is sometimes not the best option.
its a pity maka couldnt play ch:bitchy:joking