PDA

View Full Version : NHC Liverpool

GlesgaeHibby
14-01-2010, 03:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8458296.stm

Torres out for 6 weeks, Gerrard and Benayoun also out. It just keeps getting better for Liverpool. What odds on Birmingham City to finish above them? :faf:

Sir David Gray
14-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Shame.

Oh well, never mind. :greengrin

sambajustice
14-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Torres out for 6 weeks, Gerrard and Benayoun also out. It just keeps getting better for Liverpool. What odds on Birmingham City to finish above them? :faf:

hopefully!

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Yuck!!! Hopefully not...Villa however :greengrin

Also, potential pub quiz question for anyone who didnt watch the game lst nite. Which current EPL player has scored the most times against Liverpool?

IWasThere2016
14-01-2010, 04:17 PM
That'll be wagering on Man C for 4th then :agree:

hibsbollah
14-01-2010, 04:18 PM
[/B]

Yuck!!! Hopefully not...Villa however :greengrin

Also, potential pub quiz question for anyone who didnt watch the game lst nite. Which current EPL player has scored the most times against Liverpool?

Carragher?

Part/Time Supporter
14-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Carragher?

good shout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU9fWgti980

:greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-01-2010, 06:00 PM
haha yup Carragher with EIGHT og's! :tee hee:

Hainan Hibs
14-01-2010, 06:05 PM
The EPL is a bit more exciting this year, watching how much Liverpool can get worse is hilarious:greengrin

PISTOL1875
14-01-2010, 06:38 PM
The EPL is a bit more exciting this year, watching how much Liverpool can get worse is hilarious:greengrin

Hopefully Manchester United go into financial meltdown and follow suit..

Billychaotic182
14-01-2010, 06:40 PM
good shout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU9fWgti980

:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

HibbyAndy
14-01-2010, 06:41 PM

:agree:

Hainan Hibs
14-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Double the fun:thumbsup:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
14-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Let's be honest, the EPL product is definitely inferior to Spain and probably Italy from watching those leagues. In that regard it's vastly overrated.

Hibs Spain
14-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Oh oh ...A Weegie glory hunter? Now there's a thing!

GlesgaeHibby
14-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh oh ...A Weegie glory hunter? Now there's a thing!

Another baffling comment from Hibs Spain :top marks

Hainan Hibs
14-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Let's be honest, the EPL product is definitely inferior to Spain and probably Italy from watching those leagues. In that regard it's vastly overrated.

I agree, I much prefer Spanish football.

GlesgaeHibby
14-01-2010, 08:16 PM

:agree: Barcelona game last night was outstanding.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2010, 08:45 AM
haha yup Carragher with EIGHT og's! :tee hee:

Wrong! Drogba has scored nine times against Liverpool :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Been saying that this club will wither since the start of the season.

I believe that once a London club wins the champions league for the first time, all new investment in the EPL will flow into the capital.

Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will dominate, I think Man U might fade, (City are protected as long as the Arab involvement continues) and Liverpool have already gone. A couple of years outside of the CL and their history will count for nothing with investors.

Birmingham and Villa might just prosper in relation to the old industrial North of England giants.

Sergy Pie
15-01-2010, 09:12 AM

The EPL is touted as the best league in the world when in fact it's the best marketed league in the world. It all swings in roundabouts, in the early 90s it was all about the Italian game, after that the EPL has had a run at the top. The Spanish league has always generated interest but I feel it's their turn to be top of the tree.

Haymaker
15-01-2010, 09:35 AM
The EPL is touted as the best league in the world when in fact it's the best marketed league in the world. It all swings in roundabouts, in the early 90s it was all about the Italian game, after that the EPL has had a run at the top. The Spanish league has always generated interest but I feel it's their turn to be top of the tree.

The only difference between EPL and Spain is it tends to be faster played all the way through the league.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Been saying that this club will wither since the start of the season.

I believe that once a London club wins the champions league for the first time, all new investment in the EPL will flow into the capital.

Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will dominate, I think Man U might fade, (City are protected as long as the Arab involvement continues) and Liverpool have already gone. A couple of years outside of the CL and their history will count for nothing with investors.

Birmingham and Villa might just prosper in relation to the old industrial North of England giants.

I think to suggest Liverpool have gone because of this terrible season is premature (maybe I just can't admit it:boo hoo::greengrin). Admittedly I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet but we're far from gone and will still finish ahead of both Villa and Birmingham IMO. In fact I'll stick my neck out and predict a top four finish. I know.....This early morning drinking has to stop

RoslinInstHibby
15-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I think to suggest Liverpool have gone because of this terrible season is premature (maybe I just can't admit it:boo hoo::greengrin). Admittedly I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet but we're far from gone and will still finish ahead of both Villa and Birmingham IMO. In fact I'll stick my neck out and predict a top four finish. I know.....This early morning drinking has to stop

i can't see Liverpool finishing 4th

City, Spurs & Villa will all fancy their chances at it. Liverpool are slowly but surely falling behind the other 3 of the big 4.

Does anyone have the actual figure that Rafa has spent in his liverpool time. I would guess now its more than Mourinho spent in his time at Chelsea. All that money spent and only 2 world class players at the club, one of which was at the club already....not good enough

PeterboroHibee
15-01-2010, 11:17 AM

City, Spurs & Villa will all fancy their chances at it. Liverpool are slowly but surely falling behind the other 3 of the big 4.

Does anyone have the actual figure that Rafa has spent in his liverpool time. I would guess now its more than Mourinho spent in his time at Chelsea. All that money spent and only 2 world class players at the club, one of which was at the club already....not good enough

Hes spent ridiculous sums of money, in the last 5 years hes spent more than Fergie I think.

Just makes terrible signings, that seem to end up being sold off for less than what Pool paid for them. Liverpool fans can blame who they want, but its Rafas fault; poor signings and poor management in the EPL have cost them dearly.

Bad Martini
15-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Walk on ya bass.

A ***** season doth not maketh a ***** team. When the wee radge Raffa gets his marching orders and we see the end to this bizare/odd/stupid/plain ****ing radge rotational team selection policy, King Kenny comes back doon the stair and takes over, all will be cool again.

Meanwhile, all ye detractors enjoy yer revelling. The mighty Anfield Reds have been far worse than this - I remember that ******** Souness almost running us into the ground and we come back.

It will take some time but make no mistake, all the life long "fans" (GLORY HUNTERS) of the likes of Man Ure, Chelski etc will be greetin inte yer pints again in the not too distant.

...and meanwhile, the mighty Man Ure are precisely where in the FA Cup with lower league opposition doing what?

ENDOF

Bad Martini
15-01-2010, 12:17 PM
...but its Rafas fault; poor signings and poor management in the EPL have cost them dearly.

Agreed.

The sooner he ****s off, the better. There was much slating of Houlier - I recall his management and it wasn't poor at all. He won plenty and didn't come across as a prick either.

Raffa, yes, ye win the big one but now, please, **** off and join fat Boab Williamson at the Odeon as yer entertainment policy doon Anfield is ***** son.

ENDOF :agree:

IWasThere2016
15-01-2010, 12:20 PM
:agree: Barcelona game last night was outstanding.

:agree: Was glorious at times!

Walk on ya bass.

A ***** season doth not maketh a ***** team. When the wee radge Raffa gets his marching orders and we see the end to this bizare/odd/stupid/plain ****ing radge rotational team selection policy, King Kenny comes back doon the stair and takes over, all will be cool again.

Meanwhile, all ye detractors enjoy yer revelling. The mighty Anfield Reds have been far worse than this - I remember that ******** Souness almost running us into the ground and we come back.

It will take some time but make no mistake, all the life long "fans" (GLORY HUNTERS) of the likes of Man Ure, Chelski etc will be greetin inte yer pints again in the not too distant.

...and meanwhile, the mighty Man Ure are precisely where in the FA Cup with lower league opposition doing what?

ENDOF

Poor financial situation - unless a sale is forthcoming.

Poor ground situation - no means to increase capacity without new ground (new debt)

Poor squad - poor manager - poor prospects this season and best players Stevie G and Torres could elave without a CL place.

I think Liverpool are, sadly, set for a period of decline UNLESS Rafa and Gillette and Hicks go soonest

RoslinInstHibby
15-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Walk on ya bass.

ENDOF

i don't particulary enjoy seeing Liverpool in this state, a proud history and arguably the most famous club in the world. I would still say that they are behind the other 3 of the big 4 at the moment. Things will only improve once rafa is gone and Anfield is updated, the revenue lost to Liverpool from the corporate side of things needs to be sorted ASAP.

PS didn't liverpool go out to reading?

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Spent 229.65 million
Recouped 112.5 million
Net Spend 117.15 million
Figures do not include signing on fees or bonuses

Quantity but no quality!!!

Bad Martini
15-01-2010, 12:26 PM
i don't particulary enjoy seeing Liverpool in this state, a proud history and arguably the most famous club in the world. I would still say that they are behind the other 3 of the big 4 at the moment. Things will only improve once rafa is gone and Anfield is updated, the revenue lost to Liverpool from the corporate side of things needs to be sorted ASAP.

PS didn't liverpool go out to reading?

Agreed with all and yes, they did. The point I make is, Man Utd went out to "inferior" competition as well....

That said, I dont give at ratts ass about them. If this is the start of the end for Raffa, then it's worth winning **** all IMHO. We will get nowhere with that wee moaning faced clown in charge...

Bad Martini
15-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Poor financial situation - unless a sale is forthcoming.

I don't think they have any financial issues and there's plenty prospects to recoup. They are doing far more poorly than they should though, this much is definite. Thus, they are by no means "****ed" but I would actually prefer some form of sale, to the right buyer.

Poor ground situation - no means to increase capacity without new ground (new debt)

Agreed. Planning permission is alredy in place for the new stadium. I was at Anfield last year and there is nowhere near enough corporate boxes or regular seats. Both will be provided with the new stadium which would be state of the art from what I seen. There would also be a decent bit of cash received for Anfield. So, that one's in hand and it'll also sort the tv gantry issues which, whilst aren't quite as bad as ER, aren't great from a Premiership Club point of view....it takes Sky longer to set up at AF than it does elsewhere in the Premiership.

Poor squad - poor manager - poor prospects this season and best players Stevie G and Torres could elave without a CL place.

Poor manager agreed. Good enough squad to do FAR more than they are. Problem; the aren't playing for the wee whinging bawbag. Same squad with the RIGHT manager could do far more than they have/are. As I say, get Kenny back doon teh stair - he'll sort the bawbags oot.

I think Liverpool are, sadly, set for a period of decline UNLESS Rafa and Gillette and Hicks go soonest

I would agree but I cannot see the decline continuing too much longer. I would like to see Raffa gone super pronto and see where we are after that. :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
15-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't think they have any financial issues and there's plenty prospects to recoup

Even Rafa disagrees with that (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/12/rafael-benitez-liverpool-finances)

Sergy Pie
15-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Spent 229.65 million
Recouped 112.5 million
Net Spend 117.15 million
Figures do not include signing on fees or bonuses

Quantity but no quality!!!

There was an article on the BBC i think that outlined all the transfer dealings he had done. It had included the amounts of all the transfers and highlighted how much he has cost the club in £s. He's way ahead of Arsene and Fergie but was just short of Mourinho's spend.

More intrestingly was the amount of deals he has done in his time at Liverpool. He's conducted an unbelievable amount of signings and loan deals going in both directions. It worked out something like 1 player transaction for every 7.5 days he's been there.

It was a stunning article and for me, highlighted what I think is poor management.

jacomo
15-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think they have any financial issues and there's plenty prospects to recoup.

You haven't been reading the papers much, have you?

Liverpool FC are skint, mate. If they don't finish in the top 4, the club could be on the way to meltdown.

They desperately fresh investment but no investor will pay the asking price. Either the current owners come to their senses or the only way is down. Sacking Rafa will cost heap loads of money and will probably see Torres leave in the summer.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2010, 02:42 PM
You haven't been reading the papers much, have you?

Liverpool FC are skint, mate. If they don't finish in the top 4, the club could be on the way to meltdown.

They desperately fresh investment but no investor will pay the asking price. Either the current owners come to their senses or the only way is down. Sacking Rafa will cost heap loads of money and will probably see Torres leave in the summer.

Far from being skint on the way to meltdown FFS. Have a look at Liverpool's financial position actual, not the crap you probably read in the Sun. Yes ideally fresh investment would be good but it's not the end without it. Love how the people jealous of Liverpool's unrivalled success predict the end is nigh just because they're having a rough time. :faf::faf::faf::faf: WALK ON

MountcastleHibs
15-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I have a pretty big hatred for Liverpool. How Benitez is still in a job I will never know. In his 5 years with Liverpool, he's won a Champions League and an FA Cup in his first couple of years and nothing since. He's made one great signing, and loads of terrible ones. He has also replaced Xabi Alonso with Lucas, who is truly awful.

I only wish for more misery to be dumped on this football club.

Baader
15-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I have a pretty big hatred for Liverpool. How Benitez is still in a job I will never know. In his 5 years with Liverpool, he's won a Champions League and an FA Cup in his first couple of years and nothing since. He's made one great signing, and loads of terrible ones. He has also replaced Xabi Alonso with Lucas, who is truly awful.

Aquilani was Alonso's replacement - Lucas has been there for a couple of years. Agree that Benitez has made some truly guff signings though.

Just recently - Sotirios Kyrgiakos
:faf:

MountcastleHibs
15-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Aquilani was Alonso's replacement - Lucas has been there for a couple of years. Agree that Benitez has made some truly guff signings though.

Just recently - Sotirios Kyrgiakos
:faf:

Ahh of course, although Lucas has been playing the Alonso role whilst Aquilani gets back to "full fitness". Chances of that aren't great... he's only played 38% of the matches he could have since he turned professional because of injury... And Liverpool forked out £20million for that :faf:

He could probably have 3 teams with the amount of rubbish Liverpool have signed!

Sir David Gray
15-01-2010, 04:16 PM

:agree: Whilst Portsmouth have somehow managed to find the only two Sheikhs with no money, Liverpool have also managed to sign one of the only Brazilian internationalists who is actually garbage. :greengrin

They actually paid £6 million for him as well. :faf:

Baader
15-01-2010, 04:23 PM
:agree: Whilst Portsmouth have somehow managed to find the only two Sheikhs with no money, Liverpool have also managed to sign one of the only Brazilian internationalists who is actually garbage. :greengrin

Rafael Scheidt anyone? Name could probably apply to Benitez as well!

jacomo
15-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Far from being skint on the way to meltdown FFS. Have a look at Liverpool's financial position actual, not the crap you probably read in the Sun. Yes ideally fresh investment would be good but it's not the end without it. Love how the people jealous of Liverpool's unrivalled success predict the end is nigh just because they're having a rough time. :faf::faf::faf::faf: WALK ON

Give it a rest, eh? I'm not quoting tabloid trash here.

Liverpool lost £40-odd million last year, mostly due to servicing the debt. They can't afford a new stadium, and they can't afford to keep spending on the squad.

And all that is with CL money for the past however many seasons. With Man City, Villa and others knocking on the door of the Big 4 club, that might go too.

More here. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/14/liverpool-reading-finances-investors)

Incidentally, I don't have anything against Liverpool, although I find the "best fans in the world" schtick a bit wearing. As well as prickly fans like you who cannot accept any criticism of their club without pinning it on some kind of agenda.

_hucks_
15-01-2010, 04:58 PM
It's fun, living here :greengrin Most of the team I play for are big liverpool fans, and its so easy to get them wound up :greengrin

Scorrie
15-01-2010, 05:44 PM
It's fun, living here :greengrin Most of the team I play for are big liverpool fans, and its so easy to get them wound up :greengrin

Same for me and as an Evertonian it's fun to see the reds toiling but the financial situation at everton isnt much better. could be a tough time ahead for a number of clubs in the EPL as the debt levels are horrendous.

hibsbollah
15-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Lucas was really highly thought of in Brazil but has just never adapted to the English game. A bit of a Veron perhaps, i think he'll be successful somewhere else. Maybe in the Matty Jack role?:devil:

Hibs On Tour
15-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Give it a rest, eh? I'm not quoting tabloid trash here.

Liverpool lost £40-odd million last year, mostly due to servicing the debt. They can't afford a new stadium, and they can't afford to keep spending on the squad.

And all that is with CL money for the past however many seasons. With Man City, Villa and others knocking on the door of the Big 4 club, that might go too.

More here. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/14/liverpool-reading-finances-investors)

Incidentally, I don't have anything against Liverpool, although I find the "best fans in the world" schtick a bit wearing. As well as prickly fans like you who cannot accept any criticism of their club without pinning it on some kind of agenda.

Yeah - net spend on players of something like £85m in past 5 years... hardly something to cry about. Perhaps not spending £20m on midfield pansies that no doubt do lots of 'unseen work' would be better eh?

_hucks_
15-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Same for me and as an Evertonian it's fun to see the reds toiling but the financial situation at everton isnt much better. could be a tough time ahead for a number of clubs in the EPL as the debt levels are horrendous.

Tried following everton for a bit but just couldnt find myself caring enough, although i know that sounds pretty harsh. Nipping over the water to a tranmere match soon though, more in my price range!

hibsbollah
15-01-2010, 09:18 PM

If Man You fans are feeling a bit smug about Liverpool's woes it might be a mistake, judging by David Conn's report on United's finances I was listening to tonight...apparently its all there in black and white; the Ronaldo money is definitely gone to pay back the Glazers' hedge fund debts (despite Fergie saying the exact opposite) and the Board themselves admit that if they dont keep winning major trophies they will be in serious trouble financially.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2010, 10:13 PM
If Man You fans are feeling a bit smug about Liverpool's woes it might be a mistake, judging by David Conn's report on United's finances I was listening to tonight...apparently its all there in black and white; the Ronaldo money is definitely gone to pay back the Glazers' hedge fund debts (despite Fergie saying the exact opposite) and the Board themselves admit that if they dont keep winning major trophies they will be in serious trouble financially.

I totally agree, Man Utd's financial state is quite worrying and is also completely unsustainable at current levels.