PDA

View Full Version : John Hughes tells Hibs players to shape up or ship out.

RIP
14-01-2010, 07:37 AM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/150292-hughes-demands-more-from-hibs/?

Conjecture?

Who isn't turning up in training?

Who isn't trying hard enough in matches?

Who isn't part of Yogi's vision of hard work brings success?

Is Yogi hinting at January departures?!!

Ritchie
14-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Conjecture? who??:devil:

Who isn't turning up in training? bamba id imagine :wink:

Who isn't trying hard enough in matches? pretty much the whole team in the last few matches. :agree:

Who isn't part of Yogi's vision of hard work brings success? hopefully Nish & Rankin

Is Yogi hinting at January departures?!! and arrivals :pray:

hibsbollah
14-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I liked everything he said, which basically amounts to 'i wont tolerate second best'. So glad we've got him as our manager:agree:

rainman
14-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Conjecture? who??:devil:

Who isn't turning up in training? bamba id imagine :wink:

Who isn't trying hard enough in matches? pretty much the whole team in the last few matches. :agree:

Who isn't part of Yogi's vision of hard work brings success? hopefully Nish & Rankin

Is Yogi hinting at January departures?!! and arrivals :pray:

Hate to tell you this but Nish and rankin typify Yogi's vision for "hard work brings success". It's why they are in the team before more "gifted" players.

Ritchie
14-01-2010, 07:49 AM
I liked everything he said, which basically amounts to 'i wont tolerate second best'. So glad we've got him as our manager:agree:

i agree but he's certainly not perfect.

i think he needs to start mixing it up a bit to get the best out of our players.

i know we're 3rd and still in the cup but we havent been playing well at all.

just hope we dont slump in the 2nd half of the season.

Steve20
14-01-2010, 07:51 AM
The team have been poor the last few weeks, so Yogi is spot on to tell them to shape up.

I don't expect us to get anything on Saturday, but hopefully Yogi will have them fired up.

Ritchie
14-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Hate to tell you this but Nish and rankin typify Yogi's vision for "hard work brings success". It's why they are in the team before more "gifted" players.

hhhmmmm i see what your saying..... but can you really say rankin and nish are successful.

rankin is hard working pretty much every game with no real quality but nish only works hard sometimes with no real quality.

Sylar
14-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I think the few who haven't been pulling their weight on the park recently are blindingly obvious.

I'd IMAGINE that those are the same players who aren't turning up/taking the piss in training.

Perhaps slight mind games ahead of our biggest game of the season so far on Saturday?

brydekirk
14-01-2010, 08:23 AM
rankin and nish might work hard in training but its not showing where it counts (in real games ) i think benji could be another one who is strugling.:agree:

scoopyboy
14-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I think Zemmama and Benji could be two he was referring to.

matty_f
14-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Can't disagree with anything Yogi's saying there. He should be demanding more from the players, and if there are some there that are not delivering then they have no place at the club.

Onwards and upwards!:thumbsup:

Andy74
14-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Conjecture?

He doesn't say people aren't turning up for training.

Kato
14-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Exactly.

Sylar
14-01-2010, 09:14 AM

No, he says IN training, which is similar to not turning up on the park.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Sorry, but for me, Yogi is getting like a broken record. There is nothing in that article that is new. Nothing that we have not all heard before. While we all must share his desire to take the club to a new level and support him in that vision, the shape up or ship out cliche is exactly that. I would maintain that the only decision that he has taken this season that matches that rhetoric was when he dropped Hogg.

lapsedhibee
14-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry, but for me, Yogi is getting like a broken record. There is nothing in that article that is new. Nothing that we have not all heard before. While we all must share his desire to take the club to a new level and support him in that vision, the shape up or ship out cliche is exactly that. I would maintain that the only decision that he has taken this season that matches that rhetoric was when he dropped Hogg.

Maybe just continuing to soften us up for a clearout of fans' favourites. :dunno:

ShanksSaidNo
14-01-2010, 09:39 AM
For me in the last few weeks its been Riordan and Zemmama that havent been pulling their weight on the park. (obviously cant comment on training!)

All the talk at the start of the season was how hard Deek is working these days both on the park and off it! That seems to be slipping a little of late.

As much as we need flair players in the team these 2 drift in and out of matches too much. I'd love to see Deek getting a chance up front with Stokes - coz there's no doubt about it, the fact that Stokesy is roaring ahead on the scoring front will be gettin to him!

As some one said in an earlier post - ability wise Nish and Rankin arent good enough but in terms of work ethic they cant be faulted!

Expecting Rain
14-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Despite an impressive start to his managerial position at Hibs, Yogi won`t be complacent, he gave 100% as a player and he should expect nothing less from the present squad, players can easily get you the sack, there are numerous examples.

gogs_t
14-01-2010, 09:46 AM
The thing is, if he thinks there are players not trying hard enough, why are they 1st choice. There are a few players warming the bench week in, week out who haven't really been given a chance.
It's OK to stick with a winning team when they're playing well but recent performances have been poor and it's maybe time some others were given a chance.
I'm not going to single out players who are in the starting line up as everybody has a different opinion but guy such as Cregg, Galbraith, Thicot and Stevenson must be wondering if they're going to get a chance.

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Deeks isn't pulling his weight in Training and has been spoken to by Yogi about this. Sauce? YOGI! :agree:

Morning Ritchie, did Brad speak to you about buses for Dundee on Saturday?

jdships
14-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Yup ! Can't disagree with what you write :thumbsup:
There are times when a manager would be better saying nowt and these times shuuld be chosen carefully .
I.E McGhee , Gannon etc

:flag:

JimBHibees
14-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Delighted that JH is saying this when we are doing well results wise. Pitches arent great at this time of year as are training facilities though we are better placed than most in this regard. Isnt a time for great football rather getting the results which Rangers apart we are doing, big game this Saturday.

stubru59
14-01-2010, 10:09 AM
One thing about Hughes, he seems to be watching the same game as the fans.

And yes, he has said similar things before, but he has only two transfer windows in which to try and bring better players in.

Meantime, shipping out the dross is easier said than done.

We are capable of "turning up", but we need to bring consistency and application to the table too.

Some players cannot or will not deliver on this. Hughes, quite rightly, is laying out the consequences of not delivering.

ancient hibee
14-01-2010, 10:12 AM
For me in the last few weeks its been Riordan and Zemmama that havent been pulling their weight on the park. (obviously cant comment on training!)

All the talk at the start of the season was how hard Deek is working these days both on the park and off it! That seems to be slipping a little of late.

As much as we need flair players in the team these 2 drift in and out of matches too much. I'd love to see Deek getting a chance up front with Stokes - coz there's no doubt about it, the fact that Stokesy is roaring ahead on the scoring front will be gettin to him!

As some one said in an earlier post - ability wise Nish and Rankin arent good enough but in terms of work ethic they cant be faulted!
Would that be any relation to the Riordan who laid on the equaliser against Hearts and was involved in all 3 goals againstIM?

hibbie02
14-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Totally agree.

He has to be seen to do something about it and now.

I have been bleating on for weeks about how lucky we have been with results compared to performance (and getting slammed for it). The last decent performance we had was against Well. Since then they have been mince. 1 loss in 14 might be seen as progress by some, but we have been rank and made rank teams look capable!:grr:

18Craig75
14-01-2010, 10:37 AM
This Article is slightly miss-leading. If you watch the HI interview its taken from Yogi also compliments the players for the work they have been putting in thus far. He goes on to say that the bar will keep rising and its upto the players to keep up or they'll get left behind! I'd recommend watching the interview if you haven't already done so, great watch as usual!

Towards the end Cliff asks about transfers to which Yogi basically responds to by saying 'all these stories in the tabloids are stolen from these interviews anyway by the lazy journalists, so what will we make up this week' :greengrin

I get the impression that the next few transfer windows are going to be busy with comings and goings, maybe only 1 or 2 leaving and coming in each window, until the overall quality of the squad as much higher than at present!

Certainly exciting times to be a Hibee!

ShanksSaidNo
14-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Would that be any relation to the Riordan who laid on the equaliser against Hearts and was involved in all 3 goals againstIM?
No arguments there, and i will point out that im not here to bash Riordan at all. I was merely pointing out who i feel are the players who aren't quite working hard enough of late.

Jack
14-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Probably. Its also in relation to the Riordan who currently canny beat a man, currently is easily dispossessed, currently takes all the danger free kicks like he’s forgotten how to. Currently he’s a shadow of what we know he can do.

I’ve got to say I think Deeks is going backwards in terms of contributing to the overall game plan. It might be he’s not suited to where he’s playing. It might be he’s now tried the chasing back and stuff and doesn’t fancy it much. It might be and it looks to me like he just canny be asred.

Whatever is wrong with him he needs to get it sorted if he wants to stay with his beloved Hibees. He’s beginning to look like what Benji did when realised Real Madrid weren’t going to come calling.

cockneymike
14-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Any thoughts on Riordan to the right, zemmama benched and galbraith in on the left? Keep the formation the same.

To be fair to the wee man he seems to have done jack the last few weeks, and Riordan coming in of the right wing to hit shots with his left peg, is almost as good as the other way round.

hibsbollah
14-01-2010, 11:14 AM
1 loss in 14 might be seen as progress by some :grr:

No 'might' about it, it is progress, dramatic progress. I remember the same complaints during Collins 10 match unbeaten run at the start of 2007 season. The team arent firing on all cylinders so Hughes is trying to give them a verbal kick. I really cant see what there is to complain about:confused:

ShanksSaidNo
14-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Any thoughts on Riordan to the right, zemmama benched and galbraith in on the left? Keep the formation the same.

To be fair to the wee man he seems to have done jack the last few weeks, and Riordan coming in of the right wing to hit shots with his left peg, is almost as good as the other way round.
Absoultely. I think at the moment this seems to be the way forward.

Not too sure if Hughes is protecting Galbraith or if he feels he just hasnt got it. His game time since coming in has been extremely limited. I'd love to see him unleash a pacey young winger on United on Saturday and see how they handle it. At the moment in the final 3rd we have little or no pace!

Viva_Palmeiras
14-01-2010, 11:23 AM
No 'might' about it, it is progress, dramatic progress. I remember the same complaints during Collins 10 match unbeaten run at the start of 2007 season. The team arent firing on all cylinders so Hughes is trying to give them a verbal kick. I really cant see what there is to complain about:confused:

I like his thinking. Time demands & expectations should be as it is at a top class club.

Never do I want to hear "quotes" from the likes of Fletch and O'Connor etc. about the lack of professionalism at the club (esp. with regards to fitness and discipline).

down-the-slope
14-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Maybe just continuing to soften us up for a clearout of fans' favourites. :dunno:

Yup - not as underhand as that, but it should be no surprise.

Deeks coat is on a shoggly peg given his huffing and well below par performances this season..by far the lowest performer of the 1st team squad so far...and thats not good enough against the better teams..and before the 'its not his fault, he's being played out of position brigade start' don't bother as thats just guff. His attitude is poor and his loss of pace (not that it was great anyway) is making him easier to defend against.

He is not the only one, but the most obvious

Hibs Spain
14-01-2010, 11:31 AM

Yep..Exactly.Someone should tap him on the shoulder and say"Yogi pal,you say the same thing every week and nothing changes.Your bravado is ineffective"
When all's said and done.There's a lot more said than done!Get it sorted!

3pm
14-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Wonder if Michael Jordan is available to talk to the boys instead...

"There are plenty of teams in every sport that have great players and
never win titles. Most of the time, those players aren't willing to
sacrifice for the greater good of the team. The funny thing is, in
the end, their unwillingness to sacrifice only makes individual
goals more difficult to achieve. One thing I believe to the fullest
is that if you think and achieve as a team, the individual accolades
will take care of themselves. Talent wins games, but teamwork and
intelligence win championships."

He just stopped short of mentioning the Scottish Cup.

matty_f
14-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Yep..Exactly.Someone should tap him on the shoulder and say"Yogi pal,you say the same thing every week and nothing changes.Your bravado is ineffective"
When all's said and done.There's a lot more said than done!Get it sorted!

Pish. A good consistent message is what's needed.

Sooner or later it sinks in and those that get shipped out can have no complaints that they didn't know it was coming.
:agree:

down-the-slope
14-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Wonder if Michael Jordan is available to talk to the boys instead...

"There are plenty of teams in every sport that have great players and
never win titles. Most of the time, those players aren't willing to
sacrifice for the greater good of the team. The funny thing is, in
the end, their unwillingness to sacrifice only makes individual
goals more difficult to achieve. One thing I believe to the fullest
is that if you think and achieve as a team, the individual accolades
will take care of themselves. Talent wins games, but teamwork and
intelligence win championships."

He just stopped short of mentioning the Scottish Cup.

Maybe you can email that to Yogi for the wall of East Mains changing room...there are plenty others put up there :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
14-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Sooner or later it sinks in and those that get shipped out can have no complaints that they didn't know it was coming.

He'll need to ship someone out to make the message effective though won't he? Otherwise they'll all think he's talking out his arse.

3pm
14-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe you can email that to Yogi for the wall of East Mains changing room...there are plenty others put up there :greengrin

Aye, OK. What's his E-Mail address? :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
14-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Aye, OK. What's his E-Mail address? :faf:

Give john.hughes@hibernianfc.co.uk a bash.

If it doesn't work print it off and lean over the wall and hand it to him at the next game. :greengrin

3pm
14-01-2010, 11:45 AM

If it doesn't work print it off and lean over the wall and hand it to him at the next game. :greengrin

'Yogi, are ye there?! I have a quote for you!' :thumbsup:

Hibs Spain
14-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Disagree ..All that sinks in if no action is taken is the fact that they can get away with it.
I'm aware of the theory of repitition breeding reputation...But it's in different scenarios than this.

brydekirk
14-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Absoultely. I think at the moment this seems to be the way forward.

Not too sure if Hughes is protecting Galbraith or if he feels he just hasnt got it. His game time since coming in has been extremely limited. I'd love to see him unleash a pacey young winger on United on Saturday and see how they handle it. At the moment in the final 3rd we have little or no pace!

:agree: yogi said he might go 433 away from home. why not put Galbraith left of midfield which would give us more protection when deeks looses the ball.

matty_f
14-01-2010, 11:47 AM
He'll need to ship someone out to make the message effective though won't he? Otherwise they'll all think he's talking out his arse.

He's done it already, though. JJ, DVZ etc...

He's already said that he's trying to move others on as well. Problem is where a player has a contract they have the right to say that they're seeing it out or getting the appropriate compensation for having it terminated.

:faf:

allmodcons
14-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Performances may not have been of the highest standard during the last few weeks, however, 1 defeat in 14 is a fair achievement, so I wouldn't be looking for Yogi to make too many changes right now. We have a pretty good side on the park and, whilst our shape doesn't lend itself to retaining possession, we are very dangerous on the counter.

I often read comments on here about us having a lack of dig in midfield. That could be easily remedied by deploying a Simon Mensing type in the
middle but, for me, that's not our style.

In summary, I think Yogi's done very little wrong up until now and don't
really think we have anyone on the bench capable of doing a better job than the 'normal' starting eleven.

Dinkydoo
14-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree with near enough everything he said in the above article.

I also recognise the fact that he should be mixing things up to get the best out of his players. Give Stokes and Deeks a chancee both up front and play Galbraith, Rankin or Stevenson on the left for a game and see what happens.

I disagree with some of the criticism on here regarding Deek's work rate. IMO he's been working really hard recently and it's partly because of his position that he's not had such an impact on games. He's spending a lot of the time defending. In the Hearts game he also provided the cross for Stoke's goal - if he'd have been dropped for the game we'd have lost at ER to one of the worst yam teams in years.......

down-the-slope
14-01-2010, 12:44 PM

That would make a great photo of JH's mug as he read it :greengrin

Hibs Spain
14-01-2010, 12:48 PM
He's done it already, though. JJ, DVZ etc...

He's already said that he's trying to move others on as well. Problem is where a player has a contract they have the right to say that they're seeing it out or getting the appropriate compensation for having it terminated

:faf:jj and dvz were different cos they were just awful and he wasn't having to be tough there.We're talking here about players that are arguably acceptable who aren't producing what they can.

silverhibee
14-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Deeks coat is on a shoggly peg given his huffing and well below par performances this season..by far the lowest performer of the 1st team squad so far...and thats not good enough against the better teams..and before the 'its not his fault, he's being played out of position brigade start' don't bother as thats just guff. His attitude is poor and his loss of pace (not that it was great anyway) is making him easier to defend against.

Eight goals and a few assists this season from left midfield say's Deeks doing alright, his below performances as you say have gained Hibs a good few points so far this season that has kept Hibs at the top end of the table.
Agree that he has had a couple of bad games, ie Rangers and Aberdeen but thought he had a decent game at the weekend, a goal an assist and involved in the other goal.
Deeks coat is on a shoggly peg:faf:

silverhibee
14-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Eight goals and a few assists this season from left midfield say's Deeks doing alright, his below performances as you say have gained Hibs a good few points so far this season that has kept Hibs at the top end of the table.
Agree that he has had a couple of bad games, ie Rangers and Aberdeen but thought he had a decent game at the weekend, a goal an assist and involved in the other goal.
Deeks coat is on a shoggly peg:faf:

smurf
14-01-2010, 01:05 PM
The suggestion that Derek isn't contributing and pulling his weight is a total nonsense as far as i'm concerned.

IMHO the problem with Derek is he's being asked to play in too deep a role.

Left midfield is a bit different from up front or indeed in the hole to the left...

matty_f
14-01-2010, 01:12 PM
The suggestion that Derek isn't contributing and pulling his weight is a total nonsense as far as i'm concerned.

Left midfield is a bit different from up front or indeed in the hole to the left...

I don't think Deek's the issue either. There's not too much he can do if he's not getting the ball. I actually think his workrate has been good overall this season.

down-the-slope
14-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Don't agree - the number of times play has broken down because HE comes back across the half way line to receive the ball rather than pushing the defender back / running into the channel, and in the process reduces the space for our full back to get forward. Also when was one of his set pieces freekicks / corners anything other than woefull?

RIP
14-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I also hope it's not Deek

However as for his '3-goal' contribution on Saurday please don't make fools of us.

The last goal contribution was a short layoff to Hanlon who ran half the length of the pitch to score a cracker. Derek couldnae run the length of my hall.

He did do a good punt up the wing but it was Stokesy's genius that turned it into a goal opportunity for Zouma

As for the goal that Deek claimed - embarassing he has to claim OG's to boost his oh-so-important personal tally. Same problem as his poor free kicks and Rankins 40-yard sclaffs of late. These boys have to watch Rangers and Man U who pass their way into the goals.

I'd have DR with an attitude makeover in my team every week. But he's still a wee bit away from that at the moment IMO

mjhibby
14-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Asa matter of interest who is out of contract this summer as im sure yogi will not crank up his revolution till then as its mighty hard getting players in in january.

JimBHibees
14-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Asa matter of interest who is out of contract this summer as im sure yogi will not crank up his revolution till then as its mighty hard getting players in in january.

Is Maka not one? Thicot must end around about there also

monktonharp
14-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Left midfield is a bit different from up front or indeed in the hole to the left...:agree:totally dumfounded about the comments like :jaikit on shaky peg etc. Everyone on here knows where Deeks does his best stuff,the problem is where he is being asked to do it,at the minute,IMHO.

ancient hibee
14-01-2010, 04:30 PM

However as for his '3-goal' contribution on Saurday please don't make fools of us.

The last goal contribution was a short layoff to Hanlon who ran half the length of the pitch to score a cracker. Derek couldnae run the length of my hall.

He did do a good punt up the wing but it was Stokesy's genius that turned it into a goal opportunity for Zouma

As for the goal that Deek claimed - embarassing he has to claim OG's to boost his oh-so-important personal tally. Same problem as his poor free kicks and Rankins 40-yard sclaffs of late. These boys have to watch Rangers and Man U who pass their way into the goals.

I'd have DR with an attitude makeover in my team every week. But he's still a wee bit away from that at the moment IMO
I don't think anyone else is making a fool of you.

BEEJ
14-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Benji, Cregg, Maka and Murray.

Cabbage1875
14-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Probably. Its also in relation to the Riordan who currently canny beat a man, currently is easily dispossessed, currently takes all the danger free kicks like he’s forgotten how to. Currently he’s a shadow of what we know he can do.

I’ve got to say I think Deeks is going backwards in terms of contributing to the overall game plan. It might be he’s not suited to where he’s playing. It might be he’s now tried the chasing back and stuff and doesn’t fancy it much. It might be and it looks to me like he just canny be asred.

Whatever is wrong with him he needs to get it sorted if he wants to stay with his beloved Hibees. He’s beginning to look like what Benji did when realised Real Madrid weren’t going to come calling.

Spot on. You're not allowed to criticise Deeks though.

Just because someone scores a 3 yard tap in doesn't mean they've played well.

Riordan can (and must) do more for us.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
14-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Not sure Deek should take any flak. I'd order taxi's for Rankin and Lillian Gish. I'd like to see replacements, but only if they are above average.

Baldy Foghorn
14-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Not sure Deek should take any flak. I'd order taxi's for Rankin and Lillian Gish. I'd like to see replacements, but only if they are above average.

Is DR above getting flak then??:confused:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
14-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Is DR above getting flak then??:confused:

No, but he's no as bad Lillian and his mate, Squiggler.

Cabbage1875
14-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Which is the most irritating aspect of Derek's poor form recently. He can do so much better.

Baldy Foghorn
14-01-2010, 06:32 PM

In your opinion of course?

hfc rd
14-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Totally agree with Yogi. I want players at this club that are going to try and give 120% week in, week out. And if that means departures, then so be it. Yogi would then bring in players that want to play for Hibs and are commited to the cause and help Yogi to take us, where he wants us to be.
Once again, another great interview with Yogi.

silverhibee
14-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Spot on. You're not allowed to criticise Deeks though.

Just because someone scores a 3 yard tap in doesn't mean they've played well.

Riordan can (and must) do more for us.

Criticise Riordan all you want, now i am not moaning about him being played out of position or anything like that, he is playing left midfield and has scored eight goals and a number of assists this season, what is the player on the right midfield for Hibs contributing to the team, is his goals and assists better than Riordans.:wink:

Infact is there another left midfielder in the SPL who has a better goals and assists record than Riordan.:cool2:

silverhibee
14-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Making a fool of who.:confused:
Deek scored a goal, the ref gave it, the bookies payed out on it, the offical site gives him it, watching it on tv shows he got it. Riordan scored a goal on Saturday. Sorry to disapoint you it was not an own goal.
Deek was the last player to pass the ball to Hanlon who went on to score a goal, an assist for Deek, it wouldn't matter if Deek had passed the ball from Arthur Seat and it went to Hanlon, it would still be an assist from Deek.:greengrin
And as you say for the second goal Deeks played a nice ball to Stokes who eventually got the ball to Zemmama who scored the goal, sure it took a deflection before going in the net.
So Deek was involved in all three goals on Saturday, so why am i making a fool of people.:wink:

millarco
14-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Criticise Riordan all you want, now i am not moaning about him being played out of position or anything like that, he is playing left midfield and has scored eight goals and a number of assists this season, what is the player on the right midfield for Hibs contributing to the team, is his goals and assists better than Riordans.:wink:

Infact is there another left midfielder in the SPL who has a better goals and assists record than Riordan.:cool2:

Aiden McGeady? 5 goals and 7 assists compared with Riordan's 6 goals and 3 assists (in the league).

I have no idea if Riordan is one of the ones Yogi is referring to, very few on here will. I'm just not sure where to play Riordan just now, he's creating a bit of an imbalance in the team.

His strength is scoring goals, but his withdrawn role has meant that he isn't near the penalty box as much. Defensively he is very poor, certainly not good enough to provide adequate protection for a young full back like Hanlon. On the occassions he does get back he doesn't know what he's doing, and tends to double up on the man with the ball rather than track the runner.

However I don't think he has the qualities to play as an out-and-out striker, or sometimes even that left attacking midfield role he was accustomed to in his first spell. He doesn't have the pace or strength to play up top by himself, and we don't have a big striker able to hold off the defence and allow Riordan to play off him. He also has the tendency to naturally drift out wide-left whenever he is moved up front, and so we couldn't play with a natural winger like Galbraith.

He also seems to be lacking the kind of sharpness/turn of pace to beat a man, so can't play as a winger himself. That's what made him so dangerous under Mowbray-he was able to commit the full-back and beat him, exploiting the space in behind. There were times at the weekend where he was one-on-one with their midget of a RB and he didn't go to take him on.

So in effect we would need to give him a free role, and hope he finds the space around the edge of the box with the ball to feet. He obviously has the potential to create a goal out of nothing, as shown against the likes of St Mirren this season. However, I think Zemmama offers much more in that role-he has the ability to run at players, he can grab a goal from nowhere and is able to pick out a quality final ball. There's a reason why most of our play goes down the right when Zemmama plays, and that's because he's always moving and looking to get on the ball, a nightmare to defend against.

I'm maybe being a bit harsh on Riordan, but I think he's capable of far more than he's contributing at the moment, even if he is being played out of position. He just doesn't look anywhere near as good as he was pre-Celtic.

ancient hibee
15-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Aiden McGeady? 5 goals and 7 assists compared with Riordan's 6 goals and 3 assists (in the league).

I have no idea if Riordan is one of the ones Yogi is referring to, very few on here will. I'm just not sure where to play Riordan just now, he's creating a bit of an imbalance in the team.

His strength is scoring goals, but his withdrawn role has meant that he isn't near the penalty box as much. Defensively he is very poor, certainly not good enough to provide adequate protection for a young full back like Hanlon. On the occassions he does get back he doesn't know what he's doing, and tends to double up on the man with the ball rather than track the runner.

However I don't think he has the qualities to play as an out-and-out striker, or sometimes even that left attacking midfield role he was accustomed to in his first spell. He doesn't have the pace or strength to play up top by himself, and we don't have a big striker able to hold off the defence and allow Riordan to play off him. He also has the tendency to naturally drift out wide-left whenever he is moved up front, and so we couldn't play with a natural winger like Galbraith.

He also seems to be lacking the kind of sharpness/turn of pace to beat a man, so can't play as a winger himself. That's what made him so dangerous under Mowbray-he was able to commit the full-back and beat him, exploiting the space in behind. There were times at the weekend where he was one-on-one with their midget of a RB and he didn't go to take him on.

So in effect we would need to give him a free role, and hope he finds the space around the edge of the box with the ball to feet. He obviously has the potential to create a goal out of nothing, as shown against the likes of St Mirren this season. However, I think Zemmama offers much more in that role-he has the ability to run at players, he can grab a goal from nowhere and is able to pick out a quality final ball. There's a reason why most of our play goes down the right when Zemmama plays, and that's because he's always moving and looking to get on the ball, a nightmare to defend against.

I'm maybe being a bit harsh on Riordan, but I think he's capable of far more than he's contributing at the moment, even if he is being played out of position. He just doesn't look anywhere near as good as he was pre-Celtic.
Except of course that this season in terms of goals and assists Riordan is well ahead of Zemamma-so what point are you trying to make?

ShanksSaidNo
15-01-2010, 10:42 AM
This is where we as Hibs fans differ from the OF. We seem to be willing to put up with Riordan drifting in and out of matches as long as he scores.

The prime example and the point of my argument is that at Rangers Kris Boyd scores goals for fun yet up until this season i didnt know a Rangers fan who rated him! "aye he scores goals but doesnt work hard enough, therefore he's not in the team!" That was what we were hearing week in and week out, and its fair enough. Now that he has added a little extra other than just goals he is pretty much first on the team sheet when hes fit!

We seem to have this mentality that we cant drop Deek coz he scores spectacular goals!

Jim44
15-01-2010, 11:05 AM
What worries me a wee bit at the moment is that, instead of talking up our position and putting up a decisive, positive front, Hughes, whether intentionally or not, in the past few days has given his interviews a slightly negative slant. Firstly he was going on about players not giving as much as he wants and now he is advising them to travel to SPL games to learn their trade instead of sitting back watching Spanish football on the telly. I don't want to overstate the case, but in the run up to a 'huge' game I'd have expected him to focus on where we are at and where we are going. Hopefully I'm reading something into this that's not there, but recently. IMHO, the erstwhile 'Hibby feelgood' factor has lost some of it's gloss.

Bad Martini
15-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Conjecture?

I cannot disagree with wanting the most from the players and demanding they do their job as they are (well) paid to do.

I remember someone else demanding this not so long ago and getting ripped to shreds thereafter due to a "coup" from the lazy *******s doon Easter Road at the time.

Yogi best hope they dont all scuffle off to Rod's hoose and stab him in the back. Chances are they want as some bawbags who were instrumental in that have gone but the same principles hold true.

Collins wanted the same and got ripped and shat on for it.

All this said, Yogi has demanded what we're all entitled too and indeed, the players SHOULD Be delivering, every time.

ENDOF

Bad Martini
15-01-2010, 11:23 AM
This is where we as Hibs fans differ from the OF. We seem to be willing to put up with Riordan drifting in and out of matches as long as he scores.

The prime example and the point of my argument is that at Rangers Kris Boyd scores goals for fun yet up until this season i didnt know a Rangers fan who rated him! "aye he scores goals but doesnt work hard enough, therefore he's not in the team!" That was what we were hearing week in and week out, and its fair enough. Now that he has added a little extra other than just goals he is pretty much first on the team sheet when hes fit!

We seem to have this mentality that we cant drop Deek coz he scores spectacular goals!

This would have been a fairer assessment of Riordan before he left .. since he's come back, he's done a lot more of the things folk wanted him to do in addition to scoring. IMHO, this is why he's scoring less now.

I fear, the boy canny win. I'd rather he done nitto but scored (many) goals and whatever else he done, all the better. Note: even when he done a minimal amount of tracking back, defending etc - he was still assisting, putting in corners and free kicks and setting up others to score. He is Riordan, he is good but I dunno what folk want fi the laddie at times.

He's not perfect, that said, neither is Stokes. None of our team are perfect - if they were, they'd most likely be offski getting more money, with less aggro elsewhere.

hibees_green
15-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Gave up my ST last season and up till now nothing I've seen from the few games I've attended or those I've watched on TV makes me want to renew next season........however this statement gives me real hope. I think Yogi actually realises that it's attractive football that will get people attending and he's well aware that despite our league position it's not being delivered :thumbsup:

millarco
15-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Except of course that this season in terms of goals and assists Riordan is well ahead of Zemamma-so what point are you trying to make?

I think Zemmama is the player that makes us tick-when he is on form we look unbeatable. Even when he is having a poor game he is still willing to get involved and make things happen-against Hearts he wasn't playing well but was still close to setting up a couple of great chances. We looked half the team when he was out injured.

I'm not basing my opinions simply on stats, though I'm a bit surprised that Zemmama doesn't have as many assists (same as Riordan in the league though). Rankin has as many assists as Riordan and Zemmama, yet few would have him in the team before these two. Also, with stats you get the same credit for an assist like Zemmama's against Rangers (running through half the team) as you do for Riordan's against Irvine Meadow (short pass for Hanlon who run's half the length of the pitch to score).

I also noticed that Riordan has the second highest number of shots on goal behind Boyd. Going by that it seems he's still getting the chances, just isn't putting them away.

An Leargaidh
15-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I think Zemmama is a key lynchpin, but only when he's on form, like April '08 at home against St. Mirren for example. What a GOALLLL!

What IS with Benji though? How come Yogi has him as a sub all the time now? Maybe he should change the writing on the back of his shirt from BENJI to BENCHI cause that's where he seems to be most of the time then into the second half it's like "It's past 55 minutes, here's Benji!". More reliable than the train service to Glasgow :greengrin

I think Yogi is in his dream job and he just is trying his best whatever that might bring in terms of who goes / who stays / who's new.

Oh and I think Yogi's email address is jhughes@hibernianfc.co.uk :wink:
but I usually just email him via club@hibernianfc.oc.uk and put FAO: MR. John Hughes at the top. Politeness never hurts :greengrin
Cheers

Cammy :bye:

J-C
15-01-2010, 12:41 PM
What worries me a wee bit at the moment is that, instead of talking up our position and putting up a decisive, positive front, Hughes, whether intentionally or not, in the past few days has given his interviews a slightly negative slant. Firstly he was going on about players not giving as much as he wants and now he is advising them to travel to SPL games to learn their trade instead of sitting back watching Spanish football on the telly. I don't want to overstate the case, but in the run up to a 'huge' game I'd have expected him to focus on where we are at and where we are going. Hopefully I'm reading something into this that's not there, but recently. IMHO, the erstwhile 'Hibby feelgood' factor has lost some of it's gloss.

I think hughes is being realistic here and trying to keep the players feet on the ground while we sit 3rd in the league. He knows he's happy at the moment but he also knows he can't let up on the players dicipline and hard work ethics, so he's keeping them on their toes, suggesting a bit more hard work is still needed.

Good man management, tell them they're doing well but in the meantime remind them that the season is only halfway done and there's still a lot of hard graft to do and unless they don't stick in they'll be oot the door.

RIP
15-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I cannot disagree with wanting the most from the players and demanding they do their job as they are (well) paid to do.

I remember someone else demanding this not so long ago and getting ripped to shreds thereafter due to a "coup" from the lazy *******s doon Easter Road at the time.

Yogi best hope they dont all scuffle off to Rod's hoose and stab him in the back. Chances are they want as some bawbags who were instrumental in that have gone but the same principles hold true.

Collins wanted the same and got ripped and shat on for it.

All this said, Yogi has demanded what we're all entitled too and indeed, the players SHOULD Be delivering, every time.

ENDOF

I think I remember John Collin's reign reasonably well but can't remember the 'Player's Revolt' story being linked to an unwillingness to put a shift in at training or on the pitch. Jones, Hogg, Murphy, Brown, Sproule, Whittaker et al were all highly dedicated players as far as I could tell

I thought the revolt was more to do Collins man-management methods - was it not? :dunno: