PDA

View Full Version : Alan O'Brien

Swindonfan
13-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Well when we signed him you guys were dancing in the streets in Leith it seemed and common view was that hes pish. We have only really seen him for 2 home games and then hes injured again. He played well in those 2 games but now when he does get fit you kinda have your fingers crossed that he doesnt break down again. When he played before xmas and it was cold we kinda joked we hoped they had formula one tyre warmers on his legs to keep him warm. Sadly he lasted about 20 mins in his last game just after xmas. Was he always injured for you ? On our official website it says he played 47 times for you but then in a list of apperances it looks like he only played about 12 times. Frustrating as looked ok when he managed to be fit for a couple of weeks.

On a seperate note has this no reserve league up in Scotland hindered players up there ? We are supposedly about to get Paul Caddis from Celtic on loan till the end of the season. Mainly cos Mowbray and our manager Danny Wilson ( no the good one, not the infirm one ) seeem to get on. We already have Simon Ferry and Ben Hutchinson on loan from Celtic and we signed Scot Cuthbert in the summer from Celtic. Cuthbert and Ferry have been excellent, while Huthinson is pish. I see some Hibs fan on this board suggesting Stevenson should look to move to get some games. With O'Brien crocked again here Stevenson would be great for us.

Hibs fans seem to want a right back signed. We had a really good one called Miguel Comminges a french guy who had one season with us and won our player of the year award. He went to Cardiff and now cant get a game. He would do well for Hibs, Very attacking full back, good pace.

See Hibs after Alan Gow ! Did he play with Stokes at Falkirk ? I think all teams need a target man type striker. I cant say ive ever really rated Nish. Saw the game on sky the other week and just didnt think he did what he was needed to do. Maybe Nish looks ok against the bottom half of the SPL but looks pish against the upper half. I thought Hibs looked a bit small up against what looked like a big Rangers team. On that game alone i would have been looking to put Bamba into midfiled and add some steel in there, and for Yogi to bring in a new centre back. Still i think bit by bit Yogi is looking to get that balance right, of skill with steel.

Apologies if this is thought to be a crap post. I realise its not Hibs Class:wink:. All the best for the rest of the season. I see highlights of the game on saturday are on the Alba so depending on result will look in on that.

Sergey
13-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Expect this thread to run to 4 pages with 150 posts describing how pish AoB is/was. FWIW, let me go first.....he's pish when he's not injured (but does model a fine line in gloves).

Regards the scrapping of the reserve league, what has happened is the club has taken part in "bounce" matches. Recently we've played Newcastle and Sunderland. It probably suits the club better as they don't have to fulfil xxx amount of reserve fixtures; which would have been a nightmare in this weather.

Good luck for the rest of the season. AoB should be fit again by the end of April :wink:

IWasThere2016
13-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Well when we signed him you guys were dancing in the streets in Leith it seemed and common view was that hes pish. We have only really seen him for 2 home games and then hes injured again. He played well in those 2 games but now when he does get fit you kinda have your fingers crossed that he doesnt break down again. When he played before xmas and it was cold we kinda joked we hoped they had formula one tyre warmers on his legs to keep him warm. Sadly he lasted about 20 mins in his last game just after xmas. Was he always injured for you ? On our official website it says he played 47 times for you but then in a list of apperances it looks like he only played about 12 times. Frustrating as looked ok when he managed to be fit for a couple of weeks.

On a seperate note has this no reserve league up in Scotland hindered players up there ? We are supposedly about to get Paul Caddis from Celtic on loan till the end of the season. Mainly cos Mowbray and our manager Danny Wilson ( no the good one, not the infirm one ) seeem to get on. We already have Simon Ferry and Ben Hutchinson on loan from Celtic and we signed Scot Cuthbert in the summer from Celtic. Cuthbert and Ferry have been excellent, while Huthinson is pish. I see some Hibs fan on this board suggesting Stevenson should look to move to get some games. With O'Brien crocked again here Stevenson would be great for us.

Hibs fans seem to want a right back signed. We had a really good one called Miguel Comminges a french guy who had one season with us and won our player of the year award. He went to Cardiff and now cant get a game. He would do well for Hibs, Very attacking full back, good pace.

See Hibs after Alan Gow ! Did he play with Stokes at Falkirk ? I think all teams need a target man type striker. I cant say ive ever really rated Nish. Saw the game on sky the other week and just didnt think he did what he was needed to do. Maybe Nish looks ok against the bottom half of the SPL but looks pish against the upper half. I thought Hibs looked a bit small up against what looked like a big Rangers team. On that game alone i would have been looking to put Bamba into midfiled and add some steel in there, and for Yogi to bring in a new centre back. Still i think bit by bit Yogi is looking to get that balance right, of skill with steel.

Apologies if this is thought to be a crap post. I realise its not Hibs Class:wink:. All the best for the rest of the season. I see highlights of the game on saturday are on the Alba so depending on result will look in on that.

You've got TWO :dizzy: decent performances out of AOB!!! Chicken-hearted dud for us :agree:

We have some fine players you may be interested in, such as Colin Nish and Yves Makalamby. Half million for the two should be acceptable :wink:

Cropley10
13-01-2010, 02:29 PM

AOB suffered from a 'lack of confidence' he needed 'a run of games' to resolve this, but he did get injured quite often IIRC.

When you say he's done quite well, I'd be interested to know what position he's being played in and has he managed to beat a man yet?

As I'm fond of telling folk, a very good Hibee, who'd watched Hibs for 60 years, told me he was the worst player he'd ever seen in the famous green and white.

Nothing against AOB, hope he does well for you.

monktonharp
13-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Apologies if this is thought to be a crap post. I realise its not Hibs Class:wink:. All the best for the rest of the season. I see highlights of the game on saturday are on the Alba so depending on result will look in on that.you are looking from afar,but some excellent comments. yes,Bamba in the middle,with a new CH would be a good start,Caddis gets some good reviews but I dont know much about him. AOB,well what can I add ?

keep the faith
13-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Not a crap post mate. Some good comments there.

OBrien was without a doubt the worst player I have ever seen at Hibs. (Well there were a couple of nightmares but they were generally bombed out quickly).

He had so many chances and had no appetite for the game, rarely got involved, rarely got a cross in and never scored. Truly terrible. I honestly think he keeps getting clubs because managers think that if they could teach him to play with the pace he has , he could be a player. No chance.

Stevenson would be a good shout for you if he isnt playing but personally I like him and think he could be getting a game here (for Rankin?).

Bamba is a great point and I agree, we are missing a big presence in midfield. The irony is that converting him to midfield last season was the only thing mixu achieved and left us with. Unfortunately I suspect he wont be here too much longer.

Hope you guys have a good season. I like the look of Caddis and he should be a decent signing.

Oh and your right, Nish is murder!! :greengrin

Andy74
13-01-2010, 02:43 PM
When fit and played on the left wing I thought he was alright but I am in the minority of 1 in terms of Hibs fans on that one! :greengrin

jabis
13-01-2010, 02:53 PM
When fit and played on the left wing I thought he was alright but I am in the minority of 1 in terms of Hibs fans on that one! :greengrin

2:greengrin

monktonharp
13-01-2010, 02:53 PM
When fit and played on the left wing I thought he was alright but I am in the minority of 1 in terms of Hibs fans on that one! :greengrin:bye:

HibeeMcGinn1
13-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Obrien played one good game for us in my opinion, at home to Celtic when we won 2-0. He was just never good enough.

On the Bamba situation. We had him in midfield when he first came here and I thought he was class, when we moved him to defence I was a bit worried but he has proved me wrong. He played well for Iv.Coast on Monday and I think we'll struggle to keep him after the summer. With Bamba moving to the back we needed to get good midfielders in to balance it up and with Miller, McBride and Cregg its worked out well.

We definatly need a right back, although Wotherspoon has played well recently he isnt a defender. The type of player that you describe in Miguel Comminges is definatly what we need, I seen this guy play in the League Cup against Bournmouth last year and thought he played very well.

Quite alot of people on this board arnt Colin Nish fans but I am, he holds the ball up very well and has a great eye for goal, without him this season we wouldnt have picked up points at Aberdeen or Kilmarnock. We had a player at the club two year back (Antoinne-Curier) who definatly didnt get enough time. He is now on loan from Dundee to Hamilton and playing pretty well. He was the same type of player as Nish with a bit more pace, I would have liked to see him get a better chance here but unfortunatly it wasnt to be.

I quite like the defender you got from Celtic in the summer (Scott Cuthbert) seen him play in reserve/bounce matches up here a couple seasons back and really impressed me.

With Swindon sitting in the play off positions right now im guessing you have a good chance of promotion. Youv got Bristol Rovers, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Millwall and Swindon all within 5 points of each other which im sure will set up a good second half to the season. Hope you can pull it off, Josh.

blackpoolhibs

Not true Andy, i was always banging on that he needed a run in the team. You only had to be there against Gretna, when he worked his socks off, and tracked back to knock the ball out for a throw in, to see he was a player. And it was just a matter of time before he would be ripping the **** out of every defence in the SPL.

:fibber:

down-the-slope

3:greengrin

jacomo
13-01-2010, 03:11 PM
3:greengrin

3 :greengrin

jakedance
13-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Alan O'Brien was shocking for Hibs. He had sooo many chances but he was hopeless. A bit of a wimp actually. It's worth noting that he had a lot of support at the games, he wasn't booed out the club.

I think it's telling that the incident BlackpoolHibs refers to above where, yes, O'Brien gave away a throw-in was probably his most memorable contribution in a Hibs jersey.

Mind you, if your saying he's had a couple of decent games out of him then you've already seen more than we did.

cheltenhamhibee
13-01-2010, 03:25 PM

definitely swindon class :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibstrooper
13-01-2010, 03:41 PM
3 :greengrin

:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
13-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Alan peaked in the pre -season friendlies.

However as soon as the weather got a wee bit cooler and the famous black gloves appeared then that was him well and truly goosed.

hibee62
13-01-2010, 04:01 PM
IMO, AOB had 2 good pre seasons with us, started each season OK, then got injured and never came back looking the same. I think it may have been a character thing, he got a fresh start each pre season and came back with confidence, as soon as he was injured and out for 2 months he came back looking down and not ready to go again.

If kept fit from the start of a season without the oportunity to go out the team and have a crisis of confidence, he may do well. Of course that rarely happens in football and he'll need to build a stronger character IMO, to make it anywhere.

Oscar T Grouch
13-01-2010, 04:15 PM
AOB was really bad, promised much delivered sweet f@nny adams. Hope he does well for Swindon but I cannae see it.

Caddis looked a good player when he got the odd game for Smeltic, might be a good signing for yous.

Nish has been pretty good since he stopped falling over at EVERY piece of contact, now its only MOST contact :wink:

Good post SwindonFan

Jones28
13-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Who was it we were playing against when he received a standing ovation?

Brizo
13-01-2010, 04:48 PM
As Britains been gripped in Arctic conditions over the last month I wonder how many of us have spared a thought for AOBs hands ? The poor guy must be wearing two pairs of mittens in this weather.

No surprise he did his best stuff pre season when it wasnt too chilly for him. I dont think he was a bad player ... he just had bad circulation :devil:

marinello59
13-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Falkirk

MSK
13-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Apologies if this is thought to be a crap post. I realise its not Hibs Class:wink:. All the best for the rest of the season. I see highlights of the game on saturday are on the Alba so depending on result will look in on that.Superb ...:thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
13-01-2010, 05:25 PM
"Well when we signed him you guys were dancing in the streets in Leith it seemed and common view was that hes pish. We have only really seen him for 2 home games and then hes injured again. He played well in those 2 games but now when he does get fit you kinda have your fingers crossed that he doesnt break down again. When he played before xmas and it was cold we kinda joked we hoped they had formula one tyre warmers on his legs to keep him warm. Sadly he lasted about 20 mins in his last game just after xmas. Was he always injured for you ? On our official website it says he played 47 times for you but then in a list of apperances it looks like he only played about 12 times. Frustrating as looked ok when he managed to be fit for a couple of weeks".

Don't fall into the trap that some of us did, as one poster says above we never booed him out, you seem to be giving him the same benefit of the doubt we did, sadly, in a variety of different circumstances it never did improve, but boy can he run......... never a footballer.

truehibernian
13-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I do often wonder whether his Hibs career would have taken a more positive track had he buried the chance he had very early doors in his first home game (I think it was the Gretna 4-2 game). He started that game on fire pace wise and time and time again got in behind their defence. Had me thinking that the pre-season hype about him was true.............sadly he failed to deliver after then and the crowd fairly turned on him (sometimes right, sometimes harsh IMO). A definite confidence player, but far to frail an individual to cut it at the sharp end of professional football. Clearly took things to heart to quickly and failed to recover. I often thought that his injuries were just an easy excuse to perhaps not play. Maybe that is unfair, who knows.

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Elfsborg away, he was outstanding

MSK
13-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Who was it we were playing against when he received a standing ovation?Falkirk ..http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=126399&highlight=Alan+O%27brien

ancient hibee
13-01-2010, 06:17 PM
This guy O'Brien-could he do a job for Hibs?

Bostonhibby
13-01-2010, 07:02 PM
This guy O'Brien-could he do a job for Hibs?

:faf: Maybe right enough, do you think he could push this?

Part/Time Supporter
13-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Falkirk ..http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=126399&highlight=Alan+O%27brien

[insert "phew" smilie]

:greengrin

erin go bragh
13-01-2010, 07:16 PM
newcastle fans rated him very highly or is that just an urban myth that when he signed for us they wished he stayed and damien duff left instead.
:grr:i no who we would have took:wink:

Swindonfan
13-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Well it seems my post gave you all something to be happy about. That you got rid of him that is. I dont think AOB has ever scored a goal in pro football which i guess shows how often the guy is injured. In the 2 home games he did ok in he was actually taken off around the 70 min mark as of course we were nursing him back into things. Sadly he seems to be a sick note. In the 2 games he did well in he caught up with passes you didnt think he would get. Got passed his full back a few times, and of course his pace makes you sit up that he is going to make something happen. Fans here do want him to stay fit and make an impact they have only booed him on one occasion and that was when he got injured about 2mins after coming on as a sub and then didnt look to chase a pass. That was before we realised he was injured again. Probably a player whos pace makes people think he could be amazing but he will never be fit enough to prove anyone that he could be. A shame. And of course he kinda was brought into replace a hibee legend in Ivan Sproule. Ivan hasnt played much for Bristol City this year, partially due to his own injuries and the sad death of his child.
Thanks to thouse who replied and wished Swindon well. We are a million times better this season as of course now we dont have the idiot that is Maurice Malpass as our manager. Totally hated down here is uncle ******. Inverness with this weather is just where he should be. Out in the cold.

PS. When you guys won the league cup and sang " sunshine on leith" after the game even the hairs on the back on my neck stand up. Total quality. Now that WAS Hibs Class.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Forrest gump with football boots.

Gus Fring
13-01-2010, 09:18 PM
He was 9 different flavours of pish, 12 shades of gash and 7 sizes of rank.

Summed up by his apparent sponsorship by those gloves you get beside the till in the poundshop

sixtwo
13-01-2010, 09:27 PM
It is alleged that when we signed AOB, our assistant manager Tommy Craig said he was faster than Ivan Sproule and with more skill.
Ivan was a cult hero among some fans. The thought of a faster player with more skill really excited some fans.:agree:
What we actually got was quite a pacy player with a poor touch, poor crossing ability, poor choice of pass and a poor attitude when things got physical.:confused:

More fans got on his back when it emerged he was one of the highest paid ''players'' at the club. He was cutting about in flash motors and this didn't sit well with fans who seen him as a charlatan.

lapsedhibee
13-01-2010, 11:42 PM
He was cutting about in flash motors and this didn't sit well with fans who seen him as a charlatan.
I thought of him more as an apple charlotte.

basehibby
14-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Well it seems my post gave you all something to be happy about. That you got rid of him that is. I dont think AOB has ever scored a goal in pro football which i guess shows how often the guy is injured. In the 2 home games he did ok in he was actually taken off around the 70 min mark as of course we were nursing him back into things. Sadly he seems to be a sick note. In the 2 games he did well in he caught up with passes you didnt think he would get. Got passed his full back a few times, and of course his pace makes you sit up that he is going to make something happen. Fans here do want him to stay fit and make an impact they have only booed him on one occasion and that was when he got injured about 2mins after coming on as a sub and then didnt look to chase a pass. That was before we realised he was injured again. Probably a player whos pace makes people think he could be amazing but he will never be fit enough to prove anyone that he could be. A shame. And of course he kinda was brought into replace a hibee legend in Ivan Sproule. Ivan hasnt played much for Bristol City this year, partially due to his own injuries and the sad death of his child.
Thanks to thouse who replied and wished Swindon well. We are a million times better this season as of course now we dont have the idiot that is Maurice Malpass as our manager. Totally hated down here is uncle ******. Inverness with this weather is just where he should be. Out in the cold.

PS. When you guys won the league cup and sang " sunshine on leith" after the game even the hairs on the back on my neck stand up. Total quality. Now that WAS Hibs Class.

I reckon as some posters have pointed out that AOB had confidence/focus issues at Hibs - and as you point out he was following in the footsteps of something of a Hibees legend in Ivan (god bless to him and his family).
This along with some pretty foolish comments from the Hibs assistant Tommy Craig when he was signed (Sproule on a motorbike) put pressure on him which he didn't respond to in the way you'd hope - the result was a player who flattered to deceive - the odd good performance giving hope he was coming onto a game, only for him to forget what a football looked like once again the following week (or get injured).
I hope he finds his feet at Swindon and starts putting it together - his experiences at ER will have done him no harm - so good luck to the guy and good luck to Swindon for the rest of the season :thumbsup:

brog
14-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Two great posts from you, really interesting. I think there's a decent player in AOB trying to get out but all sport is about confidence & his is shot. Good luck for the season, I saw you last season ( or season before ) at Brighton & thought you had nucleus of a decent team but at that time, ( MM manager ) were playing without confidence.

down-the-slope
14-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Sindonfan - heres one from my collection...now you don't need to be Shelock Homes to guess it :wink:http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/down-the-slope/football/P1020872.jpg

Alfred E Newman
14-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Sindonfan - heres one from my collection...now you don't need to be Shelock Homes to guess it :wink:http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/down-the-slope/football/P1020872.jpg

bet its got a cracking gloves compartment.

sixtwo
14-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Bet it breaks down every other weak and is a chronic waste of money:thumbsup:

Should never had replaced the old one:wink:

down-the-slope
14-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Heated glove box :agree:

Sergey
14-01-2010, 08:17 PM
bet its got a cracking gloves compartment.

LOL

Is that a disabled badge he has on the dashboard?

RigRoars
14-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Thats a fast car.It's not an engine under the bonnet.

It's Ivan Sproule on a motorbike.

mim
14-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I saw AOB (on his debut?) for Hibs in a pre-season game at Stirling.

He had one fantastic run down the left wing in the second half, when he was chopped down, got back up, chased after the ball, kept it in and put in a great cross for Beuzelin to score.

That was the only contribution I ever saw the guy making in a Hibs shirt.

Good luck with this one, Swindon. :rolleyes:

Stevenson 09
15-01-2010, 09:21 AM
can no one remember the cross to set up fletchers goal in the derby when it went in off his shoulder??? lol :thumbsup:

HibSem
15-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Swindonfan,

How is Charlie Austin getting on sounds like a great story, a guy brought in from non-league Poole Town becomes a scoring sensation at Swindon?:thumbsup:

Swindonfan
15-01-2010, 12:59 PM
To reply about Charlie Austin he is doing amazing. Considering 4 months ago he was a bricky and playing 7 levels below league one it really is a roy of the ( i cant say rovers cos we dont like them ) town stuff. Hes just seems to have the nack of being in the right place. He isnt quick, but hes strong and puts himself about. Hes aware of those around him and he works hard. Just goes to show you dont have to look to get big teams casts offs. We have no just signed Vincent Pericard on a free to back Charlie and Billy Paynter up, but im not sure about that one yet. Hope we do get the lad Caddis on loan from Celtic as some say hes a good crosser.
Hope Hibs get Barr if you think he will be an improvement at the back and if Gow is better than Nish then i hope you get him to. If every transfer window Yogi can improve by a couple of players then things are moving in the right direction eh !

BSEJVT
15-01-2010, 06:29 PM
To reply about Charlie Austin he is doing amazing. Considering 4 months ago he was a bricky and playing 7 levels below league one it really is a roy of the ( i cant say rovers cos we dont like them ) town stuff. Hes just seems to have the nack of being in the right place. He isnt quick, but hes strong and puts himself about. Hes aware of those around him and he works hard. Just goes to show you dont have to look to get big teams casts offs. We have no just signed Vincent Pericard on a free to back Charlie and Billy Paynter up, but im not sure about that one yet. Hope we do get the lad Caddis on loan from Celtic as some say hes a good crosser.
Hope Hibs get Barr if you think he will be an improvement at the back and if Gow is better than Nish then i hope you get him to. If every transfer window Yogi can improve by a couple of players then things are moving in the right direction eh !

The best you can hope for swindonfan is that AOB never recovers fitness. Infinitely worse than a man short.

I think he could get injured blowing his nose.

The most gutless footballer ever to walk the earth.

He was just awful for Hibs, I could never bring myself to berate him as I was afraid he would burst into tears.

Good luck for the rest of the season

EasterRoad4Ever
15-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Prime example of a player who used to be on a big team's books (NUFC) and milking it for all he's worth. AOB is and probably has always been no better than Scottish 1st or 2nd Div quality - in other words, terrible.

FranckSuzy
15-01-2010, 07:42 PM
The best you can hope for swindonfan is that AOB never recovers fitness. Infinitely worse than a man short.

I think he could get injured blowing his nose.

The most gutless footballer ever to walk the earth.

He was just awful for Hibs, I could never bring myself to berate him as I was afraid he would burst into tears.

Good luck for the rest of the season

:faf: :faf:

Stop sitting on the fence FFS!! :greengrin

snooky
16-01-2010, 12:59 AM
(To kinda paraphrase Brian Clough), I'm not saying AOB was the worst player I've seen at ER but he's in the top one.

Nailrod
16-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I always felt there was a player in there... hockey, maybe, or lacrosse. Or something else that only people who are rubbish at sports play.

The_Todd
16-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I always felt there was a player in there... hockey, maybe, or lacrosse. Or something else that only people who are rubbish at sports play.

I do hope you're not including Ice Hockey when you say that!