PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Another Rumour? (Rankin to Aberdeen)

Expecting Rain
13-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Heard a rumour Aberdeen were interested in Rankin, please don`t shoot the messenger!

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Heard a rumour Aberdeen were interested in Rankin, please don`t shoot the messenger!

:boo hoo::fibber:

Hakim Sar
13-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Il pack a lunch and we can take him up in the car and push the deal through today!!!

Pretty Boy
13-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Swap him for Mark Kerr in a minute.

Doubt even Magoo is that thick though.

Danderhall Hibs
13-01-2010, 10:47 AM
John or Ian?

Expecting Rain
13-01-2010, 10:48 AM
:boo hoo::fibber:

This might come back to haunt you BH or maybe cheer you up?

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2010, 10:52 AM
John or Ian?

:faf: :top marks

Andy74
13-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Good times.

CorrieHibs
13-01-2010, 11:04 AM

We can always hope. Doubt it though. Don't think Aberdeen could even afford him.

18Craig75
13-01-2010, 11:09 AM
How much are we paying them?

:devil:

crewetollhibee
13-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Shoot the messenger ? Are you joking ? True or not, you've cheered me up no end !!!

allezsauzee
13-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Swap him for Mark Kerr in a minute.

Doubt even Magoo is that thick though.

i'd swap him for a packet of cheese n onion walkers

Tinyclothes
13-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Raaaaaankin has tiny little toes..................

1two
13-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Raaaaaankin has tiny little toes..................

Ca you please tell me all lyrics to that song, I was speaking to someone about it yesterday:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2010, 11:25 AM
If what you heard was that Aberdeen are rankin', I can confirm that is a fact and not a rumour.

Dibben
13-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Funny ain't it. Rankin is by far not the bedt player that we have, but he's a worker, and has played in a fair few of our unbeaten run games. I think he's a decent squad player, who is better than what we had last season (Chisolm etc).

If we are signing another midfielder, like Arfield etc, then definately let him go, otherwise, he's an ok option for the bench. Plus Yogi likes him, must be doing SOMETHING right!

BH.

poolman
13-01-2010, 11:27 AM

:gun:

Whoops, sorry

Baw187
13-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Funny ain't it. Rankin is by far not the bedt player that we have, but he's a worker, and has played in a fair few of our unbeaten run games. I think he's a decent squad player, who is better than what we had last season (Chisolm etc).

If we are signing another midfielder, like Arfield etc, then definately let him go, otherwise, he's an ok option for the bench. Plus Yogi likes him, must be doing SOMETHING right!

BH.

:agree:

Not the worst squad player and, although he's not as good at the DM job as McBride, he's done a decent job of helping us out.

If we are letting him go, we need someone else in. I don't rate Cregg as being any better although most on here seem to be shouting for him to be getting a game.

Tinyclothes
13-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Ca you please tell me all lyrics to that song, I was speaking to someone about it yesterday:greengrin

It was me who made it up after hearing my mate singing to his daughter.

Rankin has tiny little toes
Tiny hands and a tiny little nose
What does her wear? What do you suppose?
Rankin wears tiny little clothes

3pm
13-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Here you go John...

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

Leave the 'return' box empty.

Frazerbob
13-01-2010, 11:43 AM

BH.

:top marks He is not a first pick but has done a decent job in McBride's absence. We have only lost the once! A good squad player and better than we've had to come into the side in recent years.

As for a swap for Mark Kerr............have a word! kerr is gash. The local Sheepies up here can not stand him. Maybe he's their scapegpat like Rankin though. :wink:

Hainan Hibs
13-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Here you go John...

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

Leave the 'return' box empty.

Only fair to give the man options,

http://www.megabus.com/uk/

Aldo
13-01-2010, 12:00 PM
**** Im on ma way to ER to uplift his gear. Next stop Aberdeen.

Please please please be true.

steakbake
13-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Yez are all too hard on Rankin. Scapegoat is the word. I think he does a fine job and in targetting him, there's other players who get let off the hook and are not scrutinised as much.

JimBHibees
13-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Think he is a reasonable squad player and does a job when others arent available however would be surprised if Aberdeen were interested as they have no money unless they were considering a swap deal of sorts.

Aldo
13-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Look I dont get to many games then these days, 2 bairns, shifts etc but was at the Derby and the guy couldnt pass for nowt. Dont rate him, never have done and never will do. I think in recent weeks the MF has shown how much we have missed McBride and how effect he really is.

Sorry not overreacting but Rankin isnt very good and if we were offered a jellie jar and a baw I would snap their hands off.

Sorry not Hibs quality.

lapsedhibee
13-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Oh good. A post whose only possible consequence is a long thread slating John Rankin.

I heard a rumour Colin Nish might be leaving. Cue identical thread.
I heard a rumour Yves Makalamby might be leaving. Cue identical thread.

Posting such rumours is good because we so rarely get a chance to read any criticism of these players.

ShanksSaidNo
13-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Happy to see him go. Not exactly the type of player that i'd be worried might come back to haunt us ala Andy Dow at Hampden and once at E.R IIRC?

Does anyone else agree that in Lewis Stevenson we have a player who is very similar in stature to Rankin and probably offers a bit more in the middle of the park? It seems since JC left Stevenson hasnt really had a fair crack at the whip. When he has its been at left back?

Frazerbob
13-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Happy to see him go. Not exactly the type of player that i'd be worried might come back to haunt us ala Andy Dow at Hampden and once at E.R IIRC?

Does anyone else agree that in Lewis Stevenson we have a player who is very similar in stature to Rankin and probably offers a bit more in the middle of the park? It seems since JC left Stevenson hasnt really had a fair crack at the whip. When he has its been at left back?

I disagree! I like Lewis, great attitude and good wee player but he has not progressed in the last couple of years. He's too light weight IMO and doesn't have the killer pass in his locker. Rankin is far stronger, fitter and street wise and that is why he is ahead of Lewis in the squad.

I think Lewis should be moved on, for his own developement apart from anything else.

At the risk of repeating myself, Rankin is a good squad player. Not 1st eleven but will do a job when the likes of McBride is out. He is a lot better than the back up we've had in that possition in recent years IMO. Quite a few have said he's "not Hibs class" etc but I think he is exactly that. He and your Nish's of the World are exactly the type of players we need in the squad as back up. We're not Chelsea, we can't have guys as good as Deek, Stokes, Zouma etc sitting the wings waiting for injuries etc. It would be great but it ain't going to happen. Guys like Rankin are the bread and butter of clubs like ours.

Disc O'Dave
13-01-2010, 12:41 PM
It was me who made it up after hearing my mate singing to his daughter.

So technically....your mate made it up :greengrin:duck:

Ell_Chrisso
13-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Odds on Rankin scoring anytime this weekend please?

Set - up thats for sure.. Haha

ShanksSaidNo
13-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I disagree! I like Lewis, great attitude and good wee player but he has not progressed in the last couple of years. He's too light weight IMO and doesn't have the killer pass in his locker. Rankin is far stronger, fitter and street wise and that is why he is ahead of Lewis in the squad.

I think Lewis should be moved on, for his own developement apart from anything else.

At the risk of repeating myself, Rankin is a good squad player. Not 1st eleven but will do a job when the likes of McBride is out. He is a lot better than the back up we've had in that possition in recent years IMO. Quite a few have said he's "not Hibs class" etc but I think he is exactly that. He and your Nish's of the World are exactly the type of players we need in the squad as back up. We're not Chelsea, we can't have guys as good as Deek, Stokes, Zouma etc sitting the wings waiting for injuries etc. It would be great but it ain't going to happen. Guys like Rankin are the bread and butter of clubs like ours.
You're probably right regarding Stevenson - he should perhaps look to cut his losses and move on to somewhere that he will play regular first team football. Having said that I do think there is a place in the SPL for him. I'd be interested to see how he'd get on getting regular first team football at the likes of St Johnstone?

The point that keeps rearing its head when discussing Rankin is that "he does a job when others are injured". Does he though? Since KMcB has been injured Rankin has come in and pretty much flattered to deceive every game. He's busy - but what meaningful contribution has he actually made in any of the games?
For me getting him off the books can only be a good thing, and we can look to bring someone new in.

lapsedhibee
13-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Odds on Rankin scoring anytime this weekend please?

Very low between 3 and 4.50 on Sat; infinitesimal any time outwith that.

rightwinger
13-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Don't speak too soon - no do! - Rankin scored his first goal for us up there with a blistering volley that bounced over Zaluska!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY8TFg9z_xE

He's also scored at Falkirk and Fir Park as well as peaches against Celtic and Rangers and played every minute of our four match unbeaten derby run! Or am I getting carried away!

Tinyclothes
13-01-2010, 01:36 PM
So technically....your mate made it up :greengrin:duck:

Aye. I was the brave enough to tweek it and give it an airing in the East Stand though so I win.

smurf
13-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Please be true.

Disc O'Dave
13-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Aye. I was the brave enough to tweek it and give it an airing in the East Stand though so I win.

Indeed you do.

I'm going to go the other way, and tweak it back to sing to my daughter tonight...I'm in too much trouble for her knowing too many football songs already......:wink:

Keith_M
13-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Indeed you do.

I'm going to go the other way, and tweak it back to sing to my daughter tonight...I'm in too much trouble for her knowing too many football songs already......:wink:

Tell us Dave, is your daughter's name really Rankin? If so, I'm phoning Social Services....

:greengrin

ShanksSaidNo
13-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Sorry if its already been posted but what is the song that was sung regarding Rankin?

Disc O'Dave
13-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Tell us Dave, is your daughter's name really Rankin? If so, I'm phoning Social Services....

:greengrin

Er, no...hence the need to tweak it back......

Her name is Nish.

Keith_M
13-01-2010, 02:04 PM

TBF, you didn't say which part had been tweaked, she might actually have really big toes, for instance.

:dunno:

Her name is Nish.

OK, the call to Social Services is still getting made.

:shocked:

steakbake
13-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh good. A post whose only possible consequence is a long thread slating John Rankin.

I heard a rumour Colin Nish might be leaving. Cue identical thread.
I heard a rumour Yves Makalamby might be leaving. Cue identical thread.

Posting such rumours is good because we so rarely get a chance to read any criticism of these players.

With some folk slating Ian Rankin.

PeterboroHibee
13-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Rankins okay, decent squad player who works hard, never going to be in our fully fit starting 11 but has improved since he came to the club.

Just wish he would stop shooting so much, dont mind it every so often when hes in a good position, but it seems like whenever he picks up the ball, no matter how far from goal hes wanting to get a shot off.

smurf
13-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I have to really laugh when i read folk praising Rankin... It's normally always "He works hard".

So bloody what?

I'm sure every bloody one of us on this thread would if given the chance "Work hard" wearing our famous green and white top.

If we have serious aspirations to finish 3rd and knock on the door in terms of Rantic etc etc then we need far better quality than "Working hard".

Billy Whizz
13-01-2010, 03:15 PM
He signed 2 years ago in January so I would think that his contract will be up in the summer? I don't think that Hibs will be renewing if this is the case so it may be worth getting him off the wage bill sooner rather than later!

PeterboroHibee
13-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I have to really laugh when i read folk praising Rankin... It's normally always "He works hard".

So bloody what?

I'm sure every bloody one of us on this thread would if given the chance "Work hard" wearing our famous green and white top.

If we have serious aspirations to finish 3rd and knock on the door in terms of Rantic etc etc then we need far better quality than "Working hard".

Id rather have a squad player whos willing to come off the bench and work hard for the team than one whos got more ability but just isnt interested. Would be different if he was part of our starting 11 but hes not when everyones fit.

In an ideal world players would give their all for the club, but they dont, so to have that quality is a good thing imo.

smurf
13-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Id rather have a squad player whos willing to come off the bench and work hard for the team than one whos got more ability but just isnt interested. Would be different if he was part of our starting 11 but hes not when everyones fit.

In an ideal world players would give their all for the club, but they dont, so to have that quality is a good thing imo.

Lewis Stevenson is a better player who works hard.

If any player isn't prepared to work hard Yogi should get shot of them.

"Working hard" should be a given.

We need "Work hard" with a bit of talent. Rankin fails miserably IMO on the latter.

PeterboroHibee
13-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Lewis Stevenson is a better player who works hard.

If any player isn't prepared to work hard Yogi should get shot of them.

"Working hard" should be a given.

We need "Work hard" with a bit of talent. Rankin fails miserably IMO on the latter.

I personally ament a fan of Stevenson, just isnt good enough imo, but I accept there are people who rate him.

I agree with you, and I hope Yogi can build a team of those players, but until that option becomes available, I would hold on to Rankin. You can say get shot of them but if you arent replacing them with the required player its pointless.

bingo70
13-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I personally ament a fan of Stevenson, just isnt good enough imo, but I accept there are people who rate him.

I agree with you, and I hope Yogi can build a team of those players, but until that option becomes available, I would hold on to Rankin. You can say get shot of them but if you arent replacing them with the required player its pointless.

Agree with you, think there isn't too much between Stevenson and Rankin but IMO Rankin is the better player, can see why people might prefer Stevenson though.

Both decent squad players but if we were to get rid of one then for me it'd be Stevenson, I think Cregg is considerably better than the both of them though so i'd like to see him given more time on the pitch

RIP
13-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Yogi likes John Rankin enough to keep him in the squad

That's good enough for me

I'd rather trust his football judgement that some of the so-called fans on this board

steakbake
13-01-2010, 04:43 PM

I'd rather trust his football judgement that some of the so-called fans on this board

Thats the one.

JimBHibees
13-01-2010, 04:45 PM

Agree with all of that, a higher quality squad player than we have had recently.

Winston Ingram
13-01-2010, 04:48 PM

:pray:

Bayern Bru
13-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Her name is Nish.

No kid deserves that. You monster.

Andy74
13-01-2010, 05:04 PM

I think everyone is a fan of the club, I don't mind Rankin but if we are to progress then it won't be with the likes of him. I'd be in real favour of replacing these type of players where we can with ones of better quality.

If we accept any move for Rankin then that'd be a great sign for me that we have targets for standards which are higher than they've been.

Carheenlea
13-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I think everyone is a fan of the club, I don't mind Rankin but if we are to progress then it won't be with the likes of him. I'd be in real favour of replacing these type of players where we can with ones of better quality.

If we accept any move for Rankin then that'd be a great sign for me that we have targets for standards which are higher than they've been.

Leafing through a Brian Clough book of quotes I got at Christmas there, one that stood out was this one from 1974...

"If any footballer is under the illusion that a manager`s job is NOT to replace him with someone better, then he hasn`t been properly educated"

Tinyclothes
13-01-2010, 06:07 PM
TBF, you didn't say which part had been tweaked, she might actually have really big toes, for instance.

:dunno:

:faf:

jakedance
13-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Leafing through a Brian Clough book of quotes I got at Christmas there, one that stood out was this one from 1974...

"If any footballer is under the illusion that a manager`s job is NOT to replace him with someone better, then he hasn`t been properly educated"

I like that a lot and it's the crux of the matter for me. Everyone can go if we have someone better to replace him. As for Rankin, I think he's a good pro whose attitude has never been in question, he was one of our better players in the second half of last season. The tone of some of the comments on this thread are a bit disrespectful of a guy who has rarely let us down.

I would like to see either Stevenson or Rankin leave for the good of their careers though. We don't have any need for both of them when they're very similar. I don't see either ever being regular starters but we should maybe keep one of them as a good squad player.

erin go bragh
13-01-2010, 07:25 PM
strong player for his size but how many times does he pass the ball to the opposision:grr:does my nut in[chislom with muscles]:wink:

EasterRoad4Ever
13-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Personally don't think Rankin is good enough for Hibs if we're aiming to be the 3rd force or to do something in the SC. IMHO he's a mid-lower SPL team player. However, I would not criticise him for that. He has always given Hibs 100%, never hides, and never complains when dropped or when the fans are getting on his back.

We're continually and rightly criticising players and ex-players for lack of effort, disrespecting the club, lack of professionalism etc. Rankin has shown nothing other than total respect for the jersey, club and fans and for this deserves some credit.

hfc rd
13-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Please be true.

:bye: Rankin.

.Sean.
13-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Rankin's this, Rankin's that :blah:

All getting very tiresome and you've made your points, numerous times.

500miles
13-01-2010, 11:19 PM

So bloody what?

Aye, because being a Hibs fan makes you want to work hard for the team. Someone like to remind Derek Riordan? He seemed to remember this until a couple of weeks ago, and then forgot as quickly as he remembered.

Rankin will do a shift in any team he goes to. He'll be a fans favorite in the bottom half, and an occasionally useful body for those in our position. To get slated for such shows a real lack of perspective from those dishing out the criticism.