PDA

View Full Version : NHC FA cup crowds last night

CB_NO3
13-01-2010, 10:18 AM
The BBC and ITV etc make the FA cup to be something really special, yet some ground were embaressing last night.

Coventry V Portsmouth @ Ricoh Arena which holds 32k had a crowd of 7k.
Derby V Millwall @ Pride Park which holds 33k had a crowd of 7k
Bristol City V Cardiff which is a big rivalry only had 7k
QPR V Sheff Utd only had 6k

The only time we get 7k fans is when we are playing some huddies in the league cup. Talk of the Old Firm going to England, why not stick us in the Championship. :wink:

jdships
13-01-2010, 10:24 AM
The BBC and ITV etc make the FA cup to be something really special, yet some ground were embaressing last night.

Coventry V Portsmouth @ Ricoh Arena which holds 32k had a crowd of 7k.
Derby V Millwall @ Pride Park which holds 33k had a crowd of 7k
Bristol City V Cardiff which is a big rivalry only had 7k
QPR V Sheff Utd only had 6k

The only time we get 7k fans is when we are playing some huddies in the league cup. Talk of the Old Firm going to England, why not stick us in the Championship. :wink:

Do you not watch TV news ?
If you did you would have known that travelling in those areas was "not recommended unless essential "
I have friends living iutside Bristol who can berely get to the road end
I have nit been at the last three home games at ER due simply to looking after my health - is that a crime ?

:rolleyes:

CB_NO3
13-01-2010, 10:40 AM
If you did you would have known that travelling in those areas was "not recommended unless essential "
I have nit been at the last three home games at ER due simply to looking after my health - is that a crime ?

Well ill give you an excuse for Bristol, but whats the Derby and Coventry fans excuse, they stay in city centres which are not that bad. I know Bristol is a city aswell but if its as bad as you make out then ill give them the benefit. There was a decent Cardiff crowd last night according to their messageboard, so if they can make it from Cardiff to Bristol then how can Bristol fans not make it to Bristol.There was 1k Portsmouth fans at the game last night, if they can make it from Portsmouth to Coventry, how can Coventry fans not make it to Coventry against a Premiership team.

Danderhall Hibs
13-01-2010, 10:41 AM

:hilarious
QPR = London, London’s hardly had any snow!

No idea about the others but I doubt that so many stayed away because of the weather.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Most crowds in Scotland drop significantly for Scottish Cup games, especially replays.

Don't see why anyone thinks it would be different in England(or Wales).

Remember we contributed to the bumper 6000 crowd at a semi final replay not so long ago.

Non story IMO.

Woody1985
13-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Perhaps people are staying away for the number of points raised recently - replays = extra cash, people are skint, travel issues for some, losing interest in the game in general, people would rather watch games on TV (which they've pre-paid for) than go to games etc etc.

The more commercial football gets and the further players and theirl lifestyles continue to move away from the fans people will refuse to pay 20, 30, 40quid for a ticket to line their pockets.

I'm sure there are many, many more reasons that people didn't go. It's their choice and IMO shouldn't be criticised. If those fans start shouting at their TV at how **** their team is then by all means criticise.

Is this an uberfan debate?

CB_NO3
13-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Most crowds in Scotland drop significantly for Scottish Cup games, especially replays.

Remember we contributed to the bumper 6000 crowd at a semi final replay not so long ago.

Non story IMO.
We expect rubbish crowds, the spl get rubbish crowds every week, but they go on about the FA cup being the greatest cup comp ever, thats my point.

Hiber-nation
13-01-2010, 10:54 AM
No matter what the weather's like its surely down to the simple fact that STs aren't valid.

CB_NO3
13-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Perhaps people are staying away for the number of points raised recently - replays = extra cash, people are skint, travel issues for some, losing interest in the game in general, people would rather watch games on TV (which they've pre-paid for) than go to games etc etc.

The more commercial football gets and the further players and theirl lifestyles continue to move away from the fans people will refuse to pay 20, 30, 40quid for a ticket to line their pockets.

I'm sure there are many, many more reasons that people didn't go. It's their choice and IMO shouldn't be criticised. If those fans start shouting at their TV at how **** their team is then by all means criticise.

Is this an uberfan debate?
Read the first post mate, my point is about the FA cup in general, and how they make it out to be great, where infact it aint. Am not interested in peoples excuse for not going to games. They dont have to explain thereselves to me. All am saying is this one time great cup, is now a diddy cup.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2010, 10:58 AM
When i was growing up, cup day was one of the best days of the season. It did not matter what round it was, whoever we played, home or away, a bigger crowd was guaranteed. There are lots of reasons why its not the same these days, Price is probably the main one, but its a real shame the way the game is going.:boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
13-01-2010, 10:58 AM
We expect rubbish crowds, the spl get rubbish crowds every week, but they go on about the FA cup being the greatest cup comp ever, thats my point.

The point still stands that the BBC are the same up here about the Scottish cup.

'Oldest trophy in the world'

'this great old competition'.

Just some of the p1sh the ususal suspects trot out. The fact is the cup competitions in every country are devalued as the 'big' clubs just don't care about them unless it makes up part of a treble/double or they don't have a hope of winning anything else that season.

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Read the first post mate, my point is about the FA cup in general, and how they make it out to be great, where infact it aint. Am not interested in peoples excuse for not going to games. They dont have to explain thereselves to me. All am saying is this one time great cup, is now a diddy cup.

:confused: So when the FA cup ties are being televised do you expect them to promote their coverage in a negative manner? The BBC, ITV,STV,SKY ,ESPN all jazz up the importance of the games they are showing and why shouldn't they???

Frazerbob
13-01-2010, 12:22 PM
When i was growing up, cup day was one of the best days of the season. It did not matter what round it was, whoever we played, home or away, a bigger crowd was guaranteed. There are lots of reasons why its not the same these days, Price is probably the main one, but its a real shame the way the game is going.:boo hoo:

Agreed! :agree:

The main issue is that "back in the day" you used to get the cup ties included in your ST. The cost would be the same as the cost of all the home league games with any cup ties your bonus for puting the cash up at the start of the season. That was in the days when we 3-4000 ST holders though.

Having said that, £25 for the cup top-up this season was great value. I wish I'd bought it now!! :boo hoo::boo hoo:

CheesyHibby
13-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Football in England is following football in Scotland with this news. I don't know how much it is for a season at portsmouth, but im guessing its a fair whack, ditto coventry, so to clubs cannot justify charging much for cup games, never mind cup replays and expect to get big crowds.

Joe Baker II
13-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Non story IMO.

Think crowd was 8-9,000 but was still embarassing - but not a good example as it was more a reaction from Hibs fans against Petrie's sheer stupidity (many Pars fans thought the same about Yorkston acquiescing with venue) in telling SFA they had no objection to replay at inappropriate venue and time, there was 25,000 at first game.

Btw Derby claim they get 28,000 + for league games but it never looks anything like that on tv, they maybe stated a realistic crowd on tihs occasion.

Agree as someone posted earlier it is sad that increasingly many seem to give priority to league games over cup games - cups are much more exciting.

southfieldshibby
13-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Chill dude (sorry iv'e been in Perth WA for three weeks and the heat is making me dizzy). it,s just a marketing thing that all companies use. you have just bought it (albiet in a negative way) but the fact is that down south the premieriship is ALL that matters.

FYI it is also all that matters in a lot of countries in sout east asia and the like.:agree:

sorry guys... a bit pished

Keith_M
13-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I agree about the difference between Cup matches now and years ago. They really used to be the big occassions. It's quite sad to see them 'cheapened' by the size of the crowd.

The thing is, it's only a relatively recent thing that most attending league games do so with a ST. This means they've already invested a lot for that season and maybe see the extra expense of cup games as an expense too far, especially with wall-to-wall TV games.

Woody1985
13-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Yes, but they go hand in hand. You are saying that the TV companies make it out to be special when you think it isn't. Your point to support your view that it isn't is then based on attendances at the games. Therefore, if there are valid reasons for not going to the games then maybe the FA cup isn't devalued at all. :confused: