PDA

View Full Version : (Greggs) Alan Gow rumour?

keo1875
12-01-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5854770,00.html

sorry if posted

blueisthecolour
12-01-2010, 02:05 PM

sorry if posted

He would be a great signing for hibs, he has ability and I still reckon he could have done a job for us but was never given the chance.

Gingertosser
12-01-2010, 02:06 PM
good, creative midfielder, just what we need

1875er
12-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Interesting.... would be a good move I think.

Andy74
12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Wide left player isn't he?

Not exactly what we are crying out for with Riordan and Galbraith around.

I've never seen the fuss about Gow to be honest.

Baw187
12-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Think he can play central or up front too. I'd take him in a heart beat, Andy.

He'd be perfect in the deep forward role that Hughes is trying to play Nish in at the moment. IMO

Wouldn't be surprised if Yogi had him earmarked for that role.

joe breezy
12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Well Yogoi seems to be getting the best out of players who people think are over-rated; Stokes and Miller for example..

Entirely feasible and I would be happy at that

Hibs7
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Good player didn't get a chance at Ibrox.

Andy74
12-01-2010, 02:19 PM

He'd be perfect in the deep forward role that Hughes is trying to play Nish in at the moment. IMO

Fair enough, I's also presume Benji will go this month or the summer as he's never used.

I can't see I've ever seen much of Gow but when I have he seemed to be one of these guys with a bit of talent that never actually seemed to produce all that much.

I'll trust Hughes in this one though, if there's anything in it.

lucky
12-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Cant see where he would get a game. Wide left deeks, wide right Zemama upfront Stokes and nish/ Benji So where would be play? only way if Yogi changed to a 4-4-2 with deeks up froont and gow left mid

Baader
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Would be a decent addition if he were to join. Another whose football career suffered from joining one of the Old Firm...

scott7_0(Prague)
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
So who is moving on to allow him to come... Nish, Benji, Murray, Deek, Stokes, the list is endless! :wink:

JimBHibees
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Cant see where he would get a game. Wide left deeks, wide right Zemama upfront Stokes and nish/ Benji So where would be play? only way if Yogi changed to a 4-4-2 with deeks up froont and gow left mid

Nish/Benji role just off the front IMO. Dont think he can play wide left, not the quickest. Would be a good player at this level. Wonder if it would mean someone leaving.

EskbankHibby
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Possibly free up Riordan for a more central role beside Stokes?

Gow wide left, Zemmamma wide right, Miller and McBride Central?

Many permutations i suppose and it may hinder the progress of Galbraith but he isn't getting much of a run anyway.

To summarise i would happily take Gow.

Andy74
I should also have said...can he play right back? :greengrin

JimBHibees
So who is moving on to allow him to come... Nish, Benji, Murray, Deek, Stokes, the list is endless! :wink:

I would assume Nish or Benji, prob Benji.

NOLA
12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Would be a quality signing if it happens, lots of talent, can see wages being the problem though.

Sergio sledge
12-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Would be a better option than Nish in this position IMHO, good signing if it happened, and would definitely signal the end of Benji's Hibs career if it happened.

Cocaine&Caviar
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Has a surprisingly good jump on him for someone under 6 foot, good with ball at feet and naturally central. Wolves were interested, and had a bid accepted until he failed a medical before moving to Wolves...

Obviosuly good pedigree, and a loan move would suit parties involved, but IMO money would be better spent in defence, and put Wotherspoon to RW and have Zemmama in the hole where Gow would slot in, didnt work too great in the derby but i still think this is where he would best influence the game...

truehibernian
12-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Deal could be dependant on Plymouth's transfer embargo being lifted however. They are awaiting a payment from an investor which would satisfy, they think, the league authorities in lifting its current transfer embargo and allow them to sign other players. This however may affect another potential Hibs signing sadly which was/is in the pipeline if they get the go-ahead to buy :boo hoo::agree: swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Diclonius
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Gow again?

We've been after him on and off for three years and he never seems to be interested.

Doubt it'll happen.

Pretty Boy
12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Decent signing if true. Can play attacking midfield, on the left or up front.

However no quotes in the initial link so not holding my breath. Slow news day i think.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Are Plymouth not other team on the verge of money troubles? The Falkirk link is there again with this boy, like it was with that other sort Duffy that we were supposedly in for a while back. Seems to me that we are collecting bodies over quality and I am not sure that even the basic criteria of "better than we have" applies to this guy.

J-C
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Are Plymouth not other team on the verge of money troubles? The Falkirk link is there again with this boy, like it was with that other sort Duffy that we were supposedly in for a while back. Seems to me that we are collecting bodies over quality and I am not sure that even the basic criteria of "better than we have" applies to this guy.

Think there was talk of administration a few weeks back.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I saw him play a few times for Blackpool, he was at that time better than what we had. On that form i'd prefer him to Benji or Nish.

Gus
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Deal could be dependant on Plymouth's transfer embargo being lifted however. They are awaiting a payment from an investor which would satisfy, they think, the league authorities in lifting its current transfer embargo and allow them to sign other players. This however may affect another potential Hibs signing sadly which was/is in the pipeline if they get the go-ahead to buy :boo hoo::agree: swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Im pretty sure that the transfer embargo was lifted last week at Plymouth?:confused:

hibbybrian
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM

seems to have been lifted already

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/plymouth_argyle/8446997.stm

truehibernian
12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
That may very well scupper another target then should the player choose to go to Plymouth of course. They will certainly have better financial bargaining power than Hibs now that it is lifted.......booger !

Andy74
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Which body have we collected so far that wasn't quality, or at least better than we had in the squad?

mjhibby
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I think he would a very good signing and probably does mean somebody else out on loan.Very fluid player who yogi knows well and could well play wide left with deek moving to a more central role.Just a sky sports understands story at the moment so lets wait and see.

persevere1875
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Whats the chances of seing benji possibly going the other way if this deal comes off, would give him a far wider reaching audience if he really believes he's better than Hibs although Ive yet to see anything this season to back that claim up

Aldo
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
TBH Gow has footballing brain and everytime he played against us he gave the back 4 a torrid time. Would be a cracking addition to the squad/ team and would defo start in front of Nish IMHO.

Would complement Stokes and if it came off would hopefully be able to stand up better than bambi on ice aka Nish.

Hughes would defo get him playing to his strengths.

You can never have too many options and if he fits into the wage bracket then snap him up. He would of made a few bob on the Huns bench and he would defo have a point to prove to auld walt??

.Sean.
12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
If i'm being perfectly honest, i'd much rather young Galbraith was given a chance on the left. I've been impressed from what i've seen from him.

brog
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
That may very well scupper another target then should the player choose to go to Plymouth of course. They will certainly have better financial bargaining power than Hibs now that it is lifted.......booger !

Maybe not, it's one thing having the embargo lifted because you've settled your debts, it's another actually having additional money to buy someone.

Ell_Chrisso
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd take this one, as a pretty close to a deal, or that Yogi is definatly trying to work something out. As Sky wouldn't just come up with this webpage for the fun of it. I wouldn'nt have been too sure had it just been on a rumours list.

However, i seem to remember him being a fairly good player. And prob better than most in our squad. The huns didn't snap him up for no reason. Same went for Liam Miller at Celtic n Man U. If the deal is going to happen, give the laddie a chance, before saying he is not good enough.

Haven't you haters out there seen what's happened over the past few games in the SPL? We need more quality, thats a FACT.

Andy74
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd take this one, as a pretty close to a deal, or that Yogi is definatly trying to work something out. As Sky wouldn't just come up with this webpage for the fun of it. I wouldn'nt have been too sure had it just been on a rumours list.

However, i seem to remember him being a fairly good player. And prob better than most in our squad. The huns didn't snap him up for no reason. Same went for Liam Miller at Celtic n Man U. If the deal is going to happen, give the laddie a chance, before saying he is not good enough.

Haven't you haters out there seen what's happened over the past few games in the SPL? We need more quality, thats a FACT.

Haters? What's up with you? :confused:

Ell_Chrisso
12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Haters? What's up with you? :confused:

Sorry, " Negative Thinkers "

Give folk a chance before you judge them. If Yogi is prepared to spend money in wages on getting him in on loan, then he obviously feels he is good enough.

And with McBride, Miller & Stokes.. He's not exactly showing signs that he is bringing in pointless, or useless signings.

truehibernian
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
We are a whisker away from signing a player who Argyle are also interested in and I think they may now be able to pay more than Hibs. Still a wee chance however.

BEEJ
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Deal could be dependant on Plymouth's transfer embargo being lifted however. They are awaiting a payment from an investor which would satisfy, they think, the league authorities in lifting its current transfer embargo and allow them to sign other players.

This however may affect another potential Hibs signing sadly which was/is in the pipeline if they get the go-ahead to buy :boo hoo::agree: swings and roundabouts I suppose.

We are a whisker away from signing a player who Argyle are also interested in and I think they may now be able to pay more than Hibs. Still a wee chance however.
OK, OK!! You're desperate for someone to ask, so I'll bite. :rolleyes:

Who is this target of whom you speak? Spill........

1two
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM

sorry if posted
would fit in well with the riordan rumour i heard.

Andy74
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
OK, OK!! You're desperate for someone to ask, so I'll bite. :rolleyes:

Who is this target of whom you speak? Spill........

Was Russell Anderson not on loan there sometime and they wanted him to sign up permanently?

Baw187
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Was Russell Anderson not on loan there sometime and they wanted him to sign up permanently?

Was that Man U fullback (name escapes me) not on loan there?

Gray was it??

steakbake
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Get Petrie some scratch cards.

.Sean.
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Which is? :confused:

Andy74
12-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Was that Man U fullback (name escapes me) not on loan there?

Gray was it??

Aye, probably the one.

Toaods
12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I saw him play a few times for Blackpool, he was at that time better than what we had. On that form i'd prefer him to Benji or Nish.

I remember rave reviews for him then....was that before or after he failed the medical?

steakbake
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Which is? :confused:

He was seen in John Menzies buying a "congratulations on your new job" card and asked the boy behind the counter how you spell "Gow". :agree:

PaulSmith
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
If true then we have another player that every other club outwith the OF would wish in their squad.

For me it's all about constant improvement and if it's a case of Gow in and a Rankin and Benji out then we've balanced the books and improved the squad again.

Stokes
Gow
Riordan Zemmama
Miller McBride

Looks like a midfield and forward line to me that would do very well.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I remember rave reviews for him then....was that before or after he failed the medical?

That was before. He did look good when i saw him, if a little greedy, although not in a Nade way.:wink: I remember at the time thinking we could do a lot worse.

sambajustice
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
If true then we have another player that every other club outwith the OF would wish in their squad.

For me it's all about constant improvement and if it's a case of Gow in and a Rankin and Benji out then we've balanced the books and improved the squad again.

Stokes
Gow
Riordan Zemmama
Miller McBride

Looks like a midfield and forward line to me that would do very well.

Its definitely attack minded but we need some huge lump in there to, well to kick huge lumps out of other players. I think in Ice Hockey the call it "an enforcer!"

Also it was embarrassing the amount of headers we failed to win against that flute band last saturday!

PaulSmith
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Its definitely attack minded but we need some huge lump in there to, well to kick huge lumps out of other players. I think in Ice Hockey the call it "an enforcer!"

Also it was embarrassing the amount of headers we failed to win against that flute band last saturday!

Nae offence but its that kind of mentality that has held Scottish fitba back for the last 3 decades.

McBride and Miller can both handle themselves, no need for some radge that gives away possession and free kicks because he isn't talented enough to do anything else.

steakbake
12-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Nae offence but its that kind of mentality that has held Scottish fitba back for the last 3 decades.

McBride and Miller can both handle themselves, no need for some radge that gives away possession and free kicks because he isn't talented enough to do anything else.

Bob Malcolm, anyone?

No, thought not.

We need a defensive midfielder for sure. Reprise the Craig Rocastle role.

PaulSmith
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Bob Malcolm, anyone?

No, thought not.

McBride.

HibbyAndy
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Bob Malcolm, anyone?

No, thought not.

Didnt think Malcolm was a bad player TBH, certainly a player that could enhance the size of our sqaud.

Keith_M
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Matty Jack?

:dunno:

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Bob Malcolm, anyone?

At last, someone else who appreciates real quality.

steakbake
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
McBride.

Really?:confused:

Cocaine&Caviar
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree with McBride being a good defensive midfield? Especially when playing next to Miller...

steakbake
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree with McBride being a good defensive midfield? Especially when playing next to Miller...

I'll need to watch more carefully next time I'm at a game.

silverhibee
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Which is.:confused:

.Sean.
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
At last, someone else who appreciates real quality.
:faf:

Cocaine&Caviar
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Shouldnt a priority be to get Benji back to top form and top fitness, because if we can do that then hes a quality SPL player...

Dr What If?
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Ever since we signed Stokes I've been waiting to see him up front with Riordan in a conventional 4-4-2. The only thing stopping this is the lack of an experienced, talented, left winger. The only reason we play Riordan there is that he is the only one that can do that job, also we have a few forwards we can play allowing Riordan to flay further back.
If Gow signs the look of our whole midfield would suddenly look so much more balanced.
This actially excites me more than Anderson, Arfield and Barr put together. Would still like Barr as well though :agree:

Pretty Boy
12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Shouldnt a priority be to get Benji back to top form and top fitness, because if we can do that then hes a quality SPL player...

We have been trying this since the CIS final pretty much.

I think part of the problem is that Benji has to want to get back to full fitness and top form at Hibs, frankly i don't see enough from him to suggest he wants it enough.

Cocaine&Caviar
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Ever since we signed Stokes I've been waiting to see him up front with Riordan in a conventional 4-4-2. The only thing stopping this is the lack of an experienced, talented, left winger. The only reason we play Riordan there is that he is the only one that can do that job, also we have a few forwards we can play allowing Riordan to flay further back.

I dont think that they would be that great a partnership, both would be best partnered with a bigger man...

iwasthere1972
12-01-2010, 06:37 PM

sorry if posted

We better hurry or else those Yams will beat us to it. :greengrin

Baw187
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM

I'll need to watch more carefully next time I'm at a game.

IMO Mcbride is a top defensive midfielder. You dinnae need to be a big bruiser who steams through boys to do this role. That's a myth.

Mcbride is good on the ball, rarely give posession away, and is always there as an option for the defense and midfield partners. He is also a decent tackler and along with Miller, harras other teams in to surrendering the ball. This, to me is a defensive midfielder.

Since Rankin came in, we haven't won nearly as many 2nd balls or dominated as much midfield posession cause Mcbride is the guy who gets his foot on the ball, doesn't rush play, and makes the right pass at the right time.

ahibby
12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I have never thought much of Gow as a footballer and couldn't understand why others thought he was good. If Yogi wants him then there must be good reason, hopefully he is excellent in the CH or RB role or both.:grr:

Hibs Spain
12-01-2010, 07:07 PM

sorry if postedI think he peaked in the months before he went to Ibrox....presume there must be a "STORY" about his Ibrox non- event and his subsequent disappearance into oblivion??

CapitalHibs
12-01-2010, 07:20 PM
IMO Mcbride is a top defensive midfielder. You dinnae need to be a big bruiser who steams through boys to do this role. That's a myth.

Mcbride is good on the ball, rarely give posession away, and is always there as an option for the defense and midfield partners. He is also a decent tackler and along with Miller, harras other teams in to surrendering the ball. This, to me is a defensive midfielder.

Since Rankin came in, we haven't won nearly as many 2nd balls or dominated as much midfield posession cause Mcbride is the guy who gets his foot on the ball, doesn't rush play, and makes the right pass at the right time.

Reading the report on the official site, I'm a little concerned that this floating bone injury he (McBride) has may turn into a long term thing:dunno:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Not sure we ned to spend money on Gow. Would like to see Deeks moved up front and Galbraith given a run. Means we can spend the money elsewhere.

joe breezy
12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
I think he peaked in the months before he went to Ibrox....presume there must be a "STORY" about his Ibrox non- event and his subsequent disappearance into oblivion??

They let him rot on the bench as they do with most Scottish talent they plunder?

Baw187
12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Reading the report on the official site, I'm a little concerned that this floating bone injury he (McBride) has may turn into a long term thing:dunno:

Aye, floating bone doesn't sound too braw !

Leith Green
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM

He is already at plymouth ?? :confused:

Baw187
12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
He is already at plymouth ?? :confused:

He's there on loan, is he not? Is the problem not that they want to sign him permenantly?

Hibby Kay-Yay
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
He's there on loan, is he not? Is the problem not that they want to sign him permenantly?

He signed on a two year deal at Plymouth.

Leith Green
12-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Na mate, he was at Blackpool and Norwich on loan fae Rangers but signed a 2yr deal with Plymouth in the summer...

Andy74
12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Na mate, he was at Blackpool and Norwich on loan fae Rangers but signed a 2yr deal with Plymouth in the summer...

Was he not talking about gray?

blueisthecolour
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Bob Malcolm, anyone?

No, thought not.

One of the best passer's of a ball in scotland when he was at rangers.

keep the faith
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Apologies for soiling .net with www.football rumours

Manager John Hughes is on the verge of bringing in Derby's Robbie Savage to bolster up his midfield also there could be a shock move to Ibrox for Derek Riordan if this happens expect John Hughes to make a bid for Plymouth striker Alan Gow. THE BIG MAN (always in the know)

Savage would be a perfect signing for us and fill the missing battling midfielder gap. Absolutely no chance of that happening though. :boo hoo:

fife hfc
12-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Savage would be a perfect signing for us and fill the missing battling midfielder gap. Absolutely no chance of that happening though. :boo hoo:

:woohoo:

Wouldn't want him.

Winston Ingram
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
One of the best passer's of a ball in scotland when he was at rangers.

:faf::top marks

crewetollhibee
12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Correct. Probably the best defensive player in the world, Mascherano, isn't exactly Bamba-esque is he ?

blueisthecolour
12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
:faf::top marks

Im not joking, he could pin point a 60-70 yrd pass.

Virginia Hibs
12-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Having seen Gow at Norwich last season I would say no thanks!

Flatters to deceive, ineffective and a lanky streak of pish IMHO :greengrin

Still living on that 2 week spell he had at Falkirk where he scored a hat-trick and looked the business before arresting that development by a move to Soap Dodge City.

IWasThere2016
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Apols for the laziness as I haven't read the thread but Gowser will be on at least what he was on at Huns eg £4k basic and £2k appearence. We won't be paying that - if he was to become our highest paid it would be less than that and we'd be emptying one of the best paid eg Deeks, Stokes or Miller or we're emptying two or three to pay for him eg Thicot and Maka out .. The latter scenario might be in Yogi's thinking IMHO

Houchy
12-01-2010, 09:21 PM

:agree: Can you imagine him against that wee scoat Mikey Stewart in an Derby. I'd love that rumour to come to fruition for that reason alone. Also think that he'd be a great player in the SPL although really can't see it happening.

Baw187
12-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Was he not talking about gray?

Aye... :greengrin

Winston Ingram
12-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Im not joking, he could pin point a 60-70 yrd pass.

So can Gary Caldwell and I'd put his 'long' passing ability a long with his. Thing is Bob and Caldwell were just as likely to 'pin point' row z with a 70 yd pass when he was put under any pressure.

Him and Caldwell seemed to think they were David Beckham and attempt these sort of passes often than not. Obviously they weren't and were just as likely to duck hook it out the park and lose possession. A great passer is someone who can pass the ball well. Pinging it out the park doesn't really come into that category

blueisthecolour
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
So can Gary Caldwell and I'd put his 'long' passing ability a long with his. Thing is Bob and Caldwell were just as likely to 'pin point' row z with a 70 yd pass when he was put under any pressure.

Him and Caldwell seemed to think they were David Beckham and attempt these sort of passes often than not. Obviously they weren't and were just as likely to duck hook it out the park and lose possession. A great passer is someone who can pass the ball well. Pinging it out the park doesn't really come into that category

Don't think you seen a lot of big bob, his passing on the pitch was excellent and he very rarely gave the ball away with his long passing.

BEEJ
12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
What is affectionately referred to on .net as 'the Matty Jack role'.

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM

Heard at ER the other week, after Chris Hogg had sclaffed a long crossfield ball ten feet over Deek's head and into the stand.... "Hey, Hogg, who the F do you think you are? Gary Caldwell?"

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Don't think you seen a lot of big bob, his passing on the pitch was excellent and he very rarely gave the ball away with his long passing.

Malcolm is good, but even he came 2nd to Zambernardi with the pin point long pass.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
FTP Malcolm for hibs, is somebody having a laugh?

Gow, dunno if he's any good. Yogi is probably the only guy who might get him playing decent.

RickyS
12-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Heard at ER the other week, after Chris Hogg had sclaffed a long crossfield ball ten feet over Deek's head and into the stand.... "Hey, Hogg, who the F do you think you are? Gary Caldwell?"

:top marks

rainman
13-01-2010, 02:46 AM
I wondered how long it would take for us to be linked with Big GAOWzer.

mjhibby
13-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Could this be another one of yogis smokescreens he referred to in an interview a couple of weeks ago.:greengrin

JimBHibees
13-01-2010, 09:09 AM
One of the best passer's of a ball at Rangers when he was at rangers.

Slight amendment. :wink:

weonlywon6-2
13-01-2010, 10:14 AM

sorry if posted

good piece of business by yogi if true,see the daily express si running the story as well:thumbsup:

weonlywon6-2
13-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Still living on that 2 week spell he had at Falkirk where he scored a hat-trick and looked the business before arresting that development by a move to Soap Dodge City.

havent seen enough of him to say what he is like but if yogi believes he can do something with him then i trust that

Expecting Rain
13-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I liked Gow when he was at Falkirk, i haven`t seen much of him since but a rejuvenated Gow would allow Riordan a free role playing in behind Stokes and give us a better balance, even so i think our priorites are at centre back and right back, who knows.:dunno:

Dr Jimmy
13-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Your views are in complete contrast to the Norwich fan at my work.
He thought that after a shaky start Gow became a good player for them and that the general opinion of Norwich fans he knows was that Gow was good. He also said that they would have been delighted to keep him.

Opinions eh?

Baw187
13-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Your views are in complete contrast to the Norwich fan at my work.
He thought that after a shaky start Gow became a good player for them and that the general opinion of Norwich fans he knows was that Gow was good. He also said that they would have been delighted to keep him.

Opinions eh?

Although I for one would welcome his signature at Hibs, you have to wonder why he's never managed to settle and hold down a regular spot at any club yet. :dunno:

Tyler Durden
13-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Im surprised Gow isn't getting a game for Plymouth but IMHO he'd definitely improve our starting XI, never mind our squad.

He can play wide left or right or behind the striker. Would give us more competition for places and there's no reason his signing would have to stifle Galbraith's development.

In saying all that, can't see this one happening.

CallumLaidlaw
13-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Although I for one would welcome his signature at Hibs, you have to wonder why he's never managed to settle and hold down a regular spot at any club yet. :dunno:

plenty players like that I suppose.
Stokes to an extent, Antoine-Curier - now settled.
It's all about settling somewhere and enjoying your football. We are quite lucky in that we are from a fantastic city, and have a manager who is quite inspiring when he talks about the game. We are also in a good position in league and cup, and can offer ok-ish wages. Plenty reasons for good players to be happy to settle at Hibs! :notworthy:

Baw187
13-01-2010, 12:32 PM
plenty players like that I suppose.
Stokes to an extent, Antoine-Curier - now settled.
It's all about settling somewhere and enjoying your football. We are quite lucky in that we are from a fantastic city, and have a manager who is quite inspiring when he talks about the game. We are also in a good position in league and cup, and can offer ok-ish wages. Plenty reasons for good players to be happy to settle at Hibs! :notworthy:

It's a fair point although there must be an aspect of your face having to fit at some clubs. We've had a few players that have come to us but haven't really cut the mustard with some, such as the aforementioned Antoine-Curier, looking good elsewhere. I don't think MAC got a good enough throw at the dice with us. Stevie Crawford was another one.

Is that the same as Gow at Huns, Blackpool, and now Plymouth? Hopefully if he does sign, as you say, there's a chance our set up might get him back playing at his best, but no guarentees.

Another thought - both Stokes and Miller (to a lesser extent) have kept their place despite periods of poor performance and have come good because of it, however, they weren't afforded that luxury at other clubs. Much like Deek at the mo. I can assure you that if Deek was in the Championship he'd have lost his place by now.

Just a thought.

Ell_Chrisso
13-01-2010, 12:41 PM
It's a fair point although there must be an aspect of your face having to fit at some clubs. We've had a few players that have come to us but haven't really cut the mustard with some, such as the aforementioned Antoine-Curier, looking good elsewhere. I don't think MAC got a good enough throw at the dice with us. Stevie Crawford was another one.

Is that the same as Gow at Huns, Blackpool, and now Plymouth? Hopefully if he does sign, as you say, there's a chance our set up might get him back playing at his best, but no guarentees.

Another thought - both Stokes and Miller (to a lesser extent) have kept their place despite periods of poor performance and have come good because of it, however, they weren't afforded that luxury at other clubs. Much like Deek at the mo. I can assure you that if Deek was in the Championship he'd have lost his place by now.

Just a thought.

:top marks Spot on! Esp the Deek part. Not many Clubs would give him as much time as he gets here. I think its because, his heart is in it at Hibs, he gets the Hero's appeal.

I think Yogi is one of those types of Gaffer's that is good at getting the best out of the players he needs to work with. Getting in a player like Gow that he has already worked with, could prove to be a good move for both parties.

Dr Jimmy
13-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Was it not more to do with him still being a Rangers player? He was on loan at Blackpool, where I think he turned down a permanent move and went on loan to Norwich.
Not sure about his situation at Plymouth, but I remember Wolves tried to sign him and pulled out because of a problem with his medical.
If Wolves tried to sign him last year that would indicate he was a decent player as they won the league.

Not sure I have all the facts, but would like him at ER.

ancient hibee
13-01-2010, 01:14 PM
:top marks Spot on! Esp the Deek part. Not many Clubs would give him as much time as he gets here. I think its because, his heart is in it at Hibs, he gets the Hero's appeal.

I think Yogi is one of those types of Gaffer's that is good at getting the best out of the players he needs to work with. Getting in a player like Gow that he has already worked with, could prove to be a good move for both parties.
Don't you think being responsible for winning the game against Meadow might help?

Cocaine&Caviar
15-01-2010, 07:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6223639.stm

I didnt realise we went in for him before, Hughes certainly seemed to rate him highly.

blueisthecolour
15-01-2010, 07:30 PM

I didnt realise we went in for him before, Hughes certainly seemed to rate him highly.

Hughes know's him very well from his time at Falkirk, and he rates him.

matty_f
15-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Collins tried to sign him, IIRC.

bingo70
15-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Hughes know's him very well from his time at Falkirk, and he rates him.

Aplogies if this was covered earlier in the thread but what happened in his time with rangers?

From the outside it loks like he wasn't given a chance but there must have been a reason, fall out with the management? poor attitude or just pish in the few chances he did get?

blueisthecolour
15-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Aplogies if this was covered earlier in the thread but what happened in his time with rangers?

From the outside it loks like he wasn't given a chance but there must have been a reason, fall out with the management? poor attitude or just pish in the few chances he did get?

He wasn't given a chance, never any sign's of a rift with management though, it's a strange one, on the very odd occasion he got a game (normally in the cis cup) he played well and the fans were asking for him to get his chance.

He did have a clause in his contract which was either £1000 or £2000 per game appearance money and the rumour was this is the reason he didn't get a game.

Bostonhibby
15-01-2010, 08:18 PM

:agree: every word,we are in danger of tampering with somthing we don't have to . cover for mcbride fine but we have a natural first choice here.Focus on other areas that are more in need of cover / improvement.