PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Rooney to Spain?

Sylar
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
In the BBC Gossip column this morning, there is a story indicating Manchester United may look to offload Wayne Rooney, to try and reduce some of the current debt they are suffering. This would be interesting 2x fold:

1) Would it signal a switch in the balance of power in Manchester, with City becoming a stronger team (as Manchester United are somewhat a one-man team to an extent these days).

and

2) Would it further highlight the declining quality of the EPL, with yet another top player leaving for foreign shores?

Joe Baker II
12-01-2010, 09:08 AM
In the BBC Gossip column this morning, there is a story indicating Manchester United may look to offload Wayne Rooney, to try and reduce some of the current debt they are suffering. This would be interesting 2x fold:

1) Would it signal a switch in the balance of power in Manchester, with City becoming a stronger team (as Manchester United are somewhat a one-man team to an extent these days).

and

2) Would it further highlight the declining quality of the EPL, with yet another top player leaving for foreign shores?

If they fail to be first team to win 4 leagues in a row this year can see him moving elsewhere as he may feel he has achieved all he can with Man U, even if finance was not a factor - but as you say suspect finance IS very much a factor. Presumably would be Real Madrid - but wonder if City fancy making a bid for him, would be interesting!

moroccanhibs
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Man U will bring The moroccan Chamakh from Bordeaux.

Steve20
12-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Rooney will be at Man Utd for years yet.

Cropley10
12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Man United's debt problems will not be solved by selling Rooney.

cwilliamson85
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Surely in the long run it makes sense for Untied to keep Rooney and get shirt sales for 10+ years.

KerPlunk
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Man United's debt problems wouldn't be solved by selling the entire squad, Sir Awex and Old Trafford itself.

£700m is one helluva lot of money............:rolleyes:

Marabou Stork
12-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Man U will bring The moroccan Chamakh from Bordeaux.

In 3 or 4 years, Chamakh will be the best player in Europe. He's brilliant now, and so long as he makes the right decisions, he's only going to get better.

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
In 3 or 4 years, Chamakh will be the best player in Europe. He's brilliant now, and so long as he makes the right decisions, he's only going to get better.Chamakh is a great player but i think he should stay with bordaux(s?) as they are a realy good team and contenders for the champions leauge this year IMO.

As for rooney i hope he does n ot leave as he is doing well for me in football fantasy:wink:.

Danderhall Hibs
12-01-2010, 11:20 AM

:agree: They'll need to sell a player like Ronaldo, Rooney every year to make sure they've not made a massive loss.

When they sell Rooney they've not got many players left that are worth that kind of money.

Pretty Boy
12-01-2010, 11:31 AM
I honestly think Rooney would struggle to adapt to life in Spain.

I think there are some players who you can see playing abroad comfortably. Beckham was one as he was already a bit of a 'jetsetter' giving is other non footballing commitments. Someone like Steve McManamann was similar when he went to Madrid, there was just a feeling he could handle it.

I think Rooney is more comfortable where he is, he has already said publicly he wants to finish his career at United, he's near to is family and friends and he's comfortable in the North of England. Personally i think if he went it would be because he was forced not because he wanted to go.

Killiehibbie
12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
There must be something wrong with a system that allows debt to be accumulated in the way the Glaziers did.

KerPlunk
12-01-2010, 12:30 PM
There must be something with a system that allows debt to be accumulated in the way the Glaziers did.

:greengrin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/12/manchester-united-glazers-debt

Plus, here is one of the reader's comments from below the main story -

"Yesterday there was an article entitled 'Portsmouth paying the price for success.' People seem confused about the word 'success' and the word 'failure'.

Giving 'Arry as much money as he wants so he brings home some silverware and then going broke 18 months later is failure.

Turning yourself into a PLC, getting bought out by some Florida huckster, and being so loaded up with debt you have to sell your best player to cover the interest payments is failure.

Getting sold to a couple of shysters who promise you a new stadium but load you up with debt instead is failure.

Being bought by someone awash with petrodollars who runs your club with eye-watering losses that require annual cash injections of unsustainable proportions is (repeat after me) failure. Or will be when the goodwill/petrodollars run out.

Being run by a bloke whose only idea of staying in the Premiership is to keep trying to change the rules so you can't be relegated is failure.

A few clubs have the right idea: Aston villa, Tottenham and Arsenal. Try to make an annual profit or at least a profit more years than not. Do this while investing in the team/stadium/club. That is success. :top marks

Now there will be the usual suspects who will shout 'but they haven't won anything for years' or 'they've never been in the Champion's League'. But then again it all comes down to how you define 'failure' and 'success'."

Velma Dinkley
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Rooney struggles enough with the English language.

TheEastTerrace
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
:greengrin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/12/manchester-united-glazers-debt

Wow! Makes for very interesting reading this. David Conn wrote a great book a few years ago, outlining scenarios similar to the Man U situation and of takeovers by owners looking to profit from the clubs in less than transparent ownership structures. This was at more of a lower league level but the outcome was much the same, clubs are wrangled with debt and leading to administration/wind-up petitions.

Could this be the EPL bubble in danger of popping? It's scandalous that most clubs operating in the EPL have huge debt levels and are borrowing against future revenues already :agree:

J-C
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
The money generated by Man U is hundreds of millions per year, yes they have huge debts but because they generate so much revenue , the banks are happy to keep financing the said debt. If and when they stop generating this revenue then and only then will the banks call in the huge debt and wind up the club.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
The money generated by Man U is hundreds of millions per year, yes they have huge debts but because they generate so much revenue , the banks are happy to keep financing the said debt. If and when they stop generating this revenue then and only then will the banks call in the huge debt and wind up the club.

Very true, although not so much of the money they are generating is going on any transfers they may like. And more is going towards the interest the debt is incurring. Teams like Chealsea and Man City will be happy with this scenario, and can only gain in the long run.

Joe Baker II
12-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Suspect banks may not be discouraging sale of Rooney though.

jgl07
12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Rooney struggles enough with the English language.
So did Paul Gascoigne but he was apparently fluent in Italian!

marleyhib
12-01-2010, 03:34 PM

and

Are the glaziers currently able to service the debt? if not I guess they'll have to sell him at some point.

Personally I'd like to see sky and murdoch go bust and the tv money fall out of the EPL, help to level the playing field as its become a joke.

Mikey_1875
12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think Rooney will leave Man Utd, he seems very much a home guy.

Can't even begin to imagine him learning or speaking a foreign language :faf:

TheEastTerrace
12-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I think that's the inherent point, it's their other stakeholders i.e. the fans, who are starting to bite back at the owners and threaten revenues, particularly given Man Utd's report to the City. The man who can work out that it's his increased season ticket prices, season tickets price structure and service add ons that are being used to service these ridiculous interest payments that the Glazers have saddled Man Uted with, will be the one who starts to question the owners and his desire to be there at matchdays. These people are increasing in numbers and MUST are doing their damnest to explain the situation in lamens terms to the rest of the United fan base i.e. they're being robbed of their money to line the pockets of American owners who are there for one purpose and reason only, to make money from ownership of the club.

KerPlunk
13-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Is this not a form of asset stripping, disguised as "maximising profit margins" ?

Thin end of a very dodgy wedge, IMHO.

:confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/13/glazers-manchester-united-training-ground

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/13/manchester-united-finances-glazer-family

down-the-slope
13-01-2010, 09:42 AM
It will :******:when the current loan arrangements come due for re-negotiation (like when a mortgage fixed period expires) as interests rates are heading north and given the gearing (loan v value) the rates would be even higher..they could be starting a season with loan interest of around £60-£80 million to pay :dizzy:

Thats why they want to issue bonds, in the hope that these can be offered with much lower returns than the interest thus saving money while the Americans don't have to dilute their ownership.

As mentioned in previous post..TV revenue is key to value and any wobble in this and the whole business model is Donald Ducked

KerPlunk
13-01-2010, 10:38 AM
It will :******:when the current loan arrangements come due for re-negotiation (like when a mortgage fixed period expires) as interests rates are heading north and given the gearing (loan v value) the rates would be even higher..they could be starting a season with loan interest of around £60-£80 million to pay :dizzy:

Thats why they want to issue bonds, in the hope that these can be offered with much lower returns than the interest thus saving money while the Americans don't have to dilute their ownership.

As mentioned in previous post..TV revenue is key to value and any wobble in this and the whole business model is Donald Ducked

Here is one of the comments from LudwigsLughole -

"The cost of Man Utd was £810m and the total debt now stands at £700m.

The Glazers paid £270m of their own money which represents equity capital investment.

This will remain the same. When the Glazers bought MU, they used £540m of debt financing. At this time the gearing stood at 2 (540/270). Anything over 1 is considered "Risky" or "Highly Geared".

WIth the debt now standing at £700m, the gearing jumps to 2.59. In case you're not clear, that means MU has 2.59 times as much debt as it does equity.

By any industry's standards, that is astronomic. For a football club, it is a death knell. MU will never recover from this burden without a billionnaire coming in and wiping the debt away. They will be forever burdened with this debt and gearing at this level has taken far bigger companies than MU down."

Ooh, matron. :devil:

Expecting Rain
13-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Man City don`t need Rooney they`ve already got Carlos Tevez.

Green_one
13-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Keep hoping guys. The demise of Manchester United is not going to happen.

If it was then most of those who support other English clubs should also be bracing themselves, as their debt is often different but just as poor. The whole TV set up is based on clubs like MU.

Bottom line is you are talking about the biggest or second biggest club in the world. Their support, both at matches and as buying customers dwarfs almost all other EPL teams. They have a large hard core support that has constantly supported the team (yeah I know all you anti MU fans want to believe that its a prawn sandwich club but the FACTS (sorry about use of Liverpool word) are that they have had the biggest attendance almost every year for the last 40 years plus and have been so even during relegation and second division years).

Such a club does not roll over. Do I like the Glazers and their disgusting financial dealings - NO. But if you were a neutral and wanted to buy one club, whatever the debt etc my guess is you would pick MU or Barca. Big ground, bigger support, huge turnover, true world wide brand name, years of success - sorry but that all counts. I think others are on shooglier nails.