PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian in 1902

Jonnyboy
12-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Scottish Cup fever prompts the following :greengrin

It’s a well known and quite painful fact that Hibs have not won the Scottish Cup since 1902 but whilst that win is obviously one to celebrate the calendar year of 1902 held a few more goodies too!

11 January brought a 1st round Scottish Cup win over Clyde at Easter Road with the goals in a 2-0 win coming from Billy McCartney and Johnny Divers

25 January brought a 2nd round Scottish Cup win away to Port Glasgow Athletic. Goals from Andy McGeachan (2), Bobby Atherton, Paddy Callaghan and Johnny Divers took us through in a 5-1 win.

22 February saw Hibs at Hampden facing Queens Park in the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup and marching on after a 7-1 win with goals from Andy McGeachan (3) and Johnny Divers getting (2). No note of the other scorers but I suspect I know a man that has and I’m hoping he’ll add the detail to this thread!

22 March was semi final day of the Scottish Cup and Hibs beat Rangers 2-0 at Ibrox with goals by Johnny Divers and Billy McCartney

26 April was the day of the Scottish Cup Final with Hibs beating Celtic 1-0 at Parkhead thanks to Andy McGeachan immortalising himself in Hibernian folklore

17 May witnessed Hibs beating Rangers 1-0 away in the 1st round of the Glasgow Charity Cup with Bobby Atherton the scorer

19 May in the semi final of the Rosebery Cup, Hibs beat St Bernards 4-2

24 May in the Final of the Rosebery Cup, Hibs beat Hearts 1-0 and it’s that man McGeachen again

27 May Hibs beat Morton 3-0 in the semi final of the Glasgow Charity Cup

31 May Hibs beat Celtic 6-2 in the Final of the Glasgow Charity Cup (that’s three trophies so far)

29 September Hibs go to Ibrox and thrash Rangers 5-2 in the League. Bobby Atherton (2), Davy Reid (2) and Billy McCartney inflicting the damage

20 December Hibs win 2-0 away at Partick Thistle and thereby lift the League title with goals from Paddy Callaghan and Billy McCartney

PS: In January 1903 Hibs went to Parkhead and won 4-0 with goals by Paddy Callaghan, Billy McCartney, Davy Reid and Jimmy Buchan. We didn't need the points but took them anyway :greengrin

Forza Fred
12-01-2010, 01:38 AM
You've got some memory to recall all those games you were at John:greengrin

hibbybrian
12-01-2010, 03:56 AM
22 February saw Hibs at Hampden facing Queens Park in the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup and marching on after a 7-1 win with goals from Andy McGeachan (3) and Johnny Divers getting (2). No note of the other scorers but I suspect I know a man that has and I’m hoping he’ll add the detail to this thread!

Andy McGeachan & Johnny Divers both got hat-tricks - unfortunately I don't have the name of the other scorer :rolleyes: .................................. yet :greengrin

Hibs07p
12-01-2010, 04:10 AM
5 Glasgow teams defeated en-route to winning the Scottish Cup, 4 of them in Glasgow? Probably a better run than first seems. :thumbsup:

hibbybrian
12-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Some more 1902 results:

All 1902 Old Firm Games

22 March Rangers 0 Hibs 2 (SC) Divers, McCartney
21 April Hibs 1 Rangers 0 (IC League) Hynds
7 May Rangers 1 Hibs 1 (IC League) Callaghan
17 May Rangers 0 Hibs 1 (Glasgow Cup) Atherton
18 Aug Rangers 1 Hibs 4 (Friendly) Buchan(3), Atherton
29 September Rangers 2 Hibs 5 (Div 1) Atherton(2) McCartney(2) and Reid

4 January Hibs 0 Celtic 1 (IC League)
18 January Celtic 0 Hibs 0 (IC League)
26 April Celtic 0 Hibs 1 (SC Final) McGeachan
31 May Celtic 2 Hibs 6 (Glasgow Cup Final) McGeachan(3) Gray, Breslin & Callaghan
16 August Hibs 1 Celtic 1 (Div 1) Gray(pen)

11 Games and 1 defeat :grr:

Friendly Game - 8 September Liverpool 1 Hibs 3 :cool2:

Jonnyboy
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Andy McGeachan & Johnny Divers both got hat-tricks - unfortunately I don't have the name of the other scorer :rolleyes: .................................. yet :greengrin

Go get em Brian :greengrin

McIntosh
12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I've known three people who were alive and well remembered when Hibs won the cup - one was actually at the game, his recall was really amazing. I interviewed him when he was in his mid 90s in the early 80s and he was clear and sharp in his recollections of the game. He talked at length about 'old' Easter Road and Hib's great but very fat goalkeeper whose name I sadly can't remember!

Purple & Green
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Paddy Callaghan was other scorer.

Irish_Steve
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Pedantic point - but why where Hibs playing in the Glasgow Cup Final

madabouthibs
12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Crikey! Scottish cup fever??? :faf: I love it! Every year we torture ourselves about this. Being a Hibee just won't be the same when we finally win the cup, every trophy after that will be so insignificant! We'll never match the 2010 Scottish Cup celebrations.....
Oh jeez, did I just say that out loud? :wink:

We're only in January, and its only the 4th round...... and we're Hibs FFS!!! :duck:

Jonnyboy
12-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Paddy Callaghan was other scorer.

Cheers B :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
12-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Pedantic point - but why where Hibs playing in the Glasgow Cup Final

The Glasgow Charity Cup was an annual event and following the first Ibrox disaster when many fans lost their lives the organisers decided to expand the tournament in 1902 so as to raise as much money as possible for the families of those that died. As such it was decided to invite some of the best teams in Scotland and Hearts to take part

LHWM
13-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Semi-Finals were not played at neutral grounds until 1912 (IIRC)

The Final was the last one played at one of the Opponents 'Home' grounds. The reason for this was that Hampden was under ground reconstruction and Ibrox was shut following the 'First Ibrox disaster'.

Reports from 1902 (http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/hnews/1902.html)

Match report
http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1902/1902042601.jpg

H18sry
13-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Semi-Finals were not played at neutral grounds until 1912 (IIRC)

The Final was the last one played at one of the Opponents 'Home' grounds. The reason for this was that Hampden was under ground reconstruction and Ibrox was shut following the 'First Ibrox disaster'.

Reports from 1902 (http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/hnews/1902.html)

Match report
http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1902/1902042601.jpg

:thumbsup:

LHWM
13-01-2010, 12:41 PM
That Hibs side of 1902-03 sort of gets glossed over in scottish football history.

The great hibs team of 1886-7 is mentioned in particular it being poached to form Celtic. The team of 1902 is a footnote. then it fast forwards to the famous five era.

when hearts won the cup in 1906 that took the number of Edinburgh cup wins to 7 compared to the old firms 8. It was commented at the time that Edinburgh could hope to overtake the Old Firm! Little did they know how few times the cup would return to edinburgh in the next 100 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
13-01-2010, 03:08 PM
In the unlikely event that Hibs make the final, I think we should all go in Horse drawn 'brakes' and wear appropriate Edwardian Era costumes.

I'm sure if we ask nicely, Jonnyboy would give us some of his old clothes

:greengrin

Jonnyboy
13-01-2010, 11:29 PM
In the unlikely event that Hibs make the final, I think we should all go in Horse drawn 'brakes' and wear appropriate Edwardian Era costumes.

I'm sure if we ask nicely, Jonnyboy would give us some of his old clothes

:greengrin

Got them looked out for you :greengrin

Oh and we have to shout "Hurry up Hibs" every time we attack :greengrin

Gerard
13-01-2010, 11:39 PM
You've got some memory to recall all those games you were at John:greengrin

Hard to believe that he was there:wink::thumbsup::devil:
Gerard

LHWM
14-01-2010, 12:12 AM
The way to travel would be either as part of a "brake club" or get a charabanc.

Our friends from Glasgow were particularly fond of getting into trouble (60 days hard labour) with the law using the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk