PDA

View Full Version : One for the oldies???

hibees_green
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Take your mind back to around 1975.

When Rangers came to town were they ever given the old East terracing?

Mate is convinced he stood there twice as a Rangers fan. Could it be that a small contingent of Rangers fans would be allowed in if the away end was full.

I can't imagine this happening and don't think it was possible to resize the Dunbar end to swing round the corner. From memory it did come a wee bit round but now more than in line with the 18 yard box.

Any thoughts.

Mikey
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I think they used to get the whole Dunbar end and a little bit round the corner.

A proper oldie can confirm though :wink:

Liberal Hibby
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Mate is convinced he stood there twice as a Rangers fan. Could it be that a small contingent of Rangers fans would be allowed in if the away end was full.

I can't imagine this happening and don't think it was possible to resize the Dunbar end to swing round the corner. From memory it did come a wee bit round but now more than in line with the 18 yard box.

Any thoughts.

I think it was all unsegregated around that time - you used to change ends at half time to be at the end your team was shooting towards. I guess it would be in the mid 70s that the fence went up (as you say around the 18 yard line at the Dunbar End).

I remember a couple of games post demolition of the high terrace where infiltrating Rangers fans were present - but ended up being kicked out (literally).

MSK
11-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Any thoughts.Im sure there was a "no-mans land" between the Dunbar & the East ..poss they would put the "overspill" in there ..

tony higgins
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Any thoughts.

I don,t remember any segregation in 1975 so you could have stood where you liked.
Did,nt Rangers win the League that year at Easter Rd.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Any thoughts.

:agree:

See about 2 mins into vid. By all accounts there were 38,000 at the match and 30,000 were huns (sorry blueisthecolour)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdH1kpX2bOU

Killiehibbie
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
No proper segregation until the end of that decade.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Those were the days when you could walk from one end of the Dunbar to the cowshed (or vice-versa) at half time while running the gauntlet from the away fans. :thumbsup:

MSK
11-01-2010, 03:58 PM

See about 2 mins into vid. By all accounts there were 38,000 at the match and 30,000 were huns (sorry blueisthecolour)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdH1kpX2bOUJeezo !!! :grr:

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Jeezo !!! :grr:

Colin Stein hun bassa. :greengrin

hibbybrian
11-01-2010, 04:01 PM
1978 Hibs v Rangers East Terracing

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/crowdHibsvrangers1978.jpg?t=1263229210

PC Stamp
11-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I don,t remember any segregation in 1975 so you could have stood where you liked.

That's as I recall it. Remember as a kid there being as many Celtic fans as Hibs fans in the East terracing as late as 1978 when we won 4-1 against them. Wee Alex McGhee scored a couple IIRC and got released not long afterwards?

MSK
11-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Colin Stein hun bassa. :greengrinThat & just about everything else about that clip !!! :grr:....:greengrin

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 04:05 PM

1 Rangers 36 23 8 5 60 24 36 54
2 Celtic 36 21 6 9 71 42 29 48
3 Hibernian 36 18 7 11 55 43 12 43
4 Motherwell 36 16 8 12 53 49 4 40
5 Heart of Midlothian 36 13 9 14 39 45 −6 35
6 Ayr United 36 14 5 17 46 59 −13 33
7 Aberdeen 36 11 10 15 49 50 −1 32
8 Dundee United 36 12 8 16 46 48 −2 32
9 Dundee 36 11 10 15 49 62 −13 32
10 St. Johnstone 36 3 5 28 29 79 −50 11

tony higgins
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Pat Stanton at the end raising 9 fingers up to the huns, sorry, nice people in blue favours.

hibees_green
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Cheer guys

Brizo
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
IIRC watching as a young sprog from the relative safety of the Old North Stand pre segregation they would take as far as the half way line on the East Terrazio and often well beyond it. In that pre all ticket and pre segregation era plus far cheaper admission costs they sometimes came through in their tens of thousands ... a truly horrible spectacle.

Aubenas
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeh, can confirm, no segregation. Remember one cup replay played Weds pm cos of energy strikes and no floodlights. Stood towards the bottom of the east terrace, acutely aware of about 10000 of the blue guys behind me. Held it together till we scored then leapt in the air. Made a swift exit towards the cowshed shortly after!

tony higgins
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
IIRC watching as a young sprog from the relative safety of the Old North Stand pre segregation they would take as far as the half way line on the East Terrazio and often well beyond it. In that pre all ticket and segregation era plus far cheaper admission costs they sometimes came through in their tens of thousands ... a truly horrible spectacle.

Plus they went away with half the gate money.

MSK
11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Thats just so ugly ..i cant even watch that again !!!! :jamboak:

Killiehibbie
11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
That's as I recall it. Remember as a kid there being as many Celtic fans as Hibs fans in the East terracing as late as 1978 when we won 4-1 against them. Wee Alex McGhee scored a couple IIRC and got released not long afterwards?

They couldn't take any more and invaded the pitch to try and get the game abandoned. Jock Stein out helping the polis to clear them. Those were the days ,10 years old and thinking it will always be like this.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeh, can confirm, no segregation. Remember one cup replay played Weds pm cos of energy strikes and no floodlights. Stood towards the bottom of the east terrace, acutely aware of about 10000 of the blue guys behind me. Held it together till we scored then leapt in the air. Made a swift exit towards the cowshed shortly after!

Would that have been the Scottish Cup replay in the early 70's when I couldn't get in because there were already 49,000 in the stadium. :grr:

tony higgins
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Learned a lot of climbing skills back in those days.

Especially the fence that took you into the North Enclosure at Hampden.

.Sean.
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
My Dad said the Terracing used to be huge, didn't realise it was THAT big :dizzy:

Aubenas
11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Would that have been the Scottish Cup replay in the early 70's when I couldn't get in because there were already 49,000 in the stadium.

That's the one - pretty scarey!:bitchy:

MSK
11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
My Dad said the Terracing used to be huge, didn't realise it was THAT big :dizzy:Huge !!...when you went through the turnstyle you were faced wi hundreds o steps ...getting up them was breathtaking but well worth it when ye eventually got to the top ..:notworthy:

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 04:27 PM
My Dad said the Terracing used to be huge, didn't realise it was THAT big :dizzy:

When we were winning the league regularly there were plans to increase the capacity of Easter Road from 60,000+ to 80,000. :agree:

This pic says it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Easter_Road_old.jpg

lapsedhibee
11-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Used to be higher than the sky itself. From the top, huge players would look tiny, and most of our recent middlefielders would have been completely invisible. Matty Jack would have seemed about the size of a bread roll, hence all the nostalgia on here for "the Matty Jack roll".

tony higgins
11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
The TV gantry built with scaffolding and wooden planks that swayed in the wind.

:greengrin

.Sean.
11-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Huge !!...when you went through the turnstyle you were faced wi hundreds o steps ...getting up them was breathtaking but well worth it when ye eventually got to the top ..:notworthy:

So kinda like Hearts knew Main Stand then mate :greengrin

Aubenas
11-01-2010, 04:36 PM
The TV gantry built with scaffolding and wooden planks that swayed in the wind.

They used to set it up on the Friday afternoon. Once during high winds, the whole lot, STV cameras and all tumbled over the back during the night. Cost them a fortune and the game wasn't televised!:agree:

It was so high, you couldn't even see Arthur Montford's jacket from ground level.

.Sean.
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Anybody got any photos of the old East from inside ER?

Keith_M
11-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Games like the one in the video apart, the old East terrace was unneccessarily large. Having 3-4,000 fans scattered over a terrace that size, especially with no roof, sometimes made for a bit of a surreal atmosphere.

I always enjoyed away games to small grounds with roofed terraces much more. Places like Fir Park, where the atmosphere was much better.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Anybody got any photos of the old East from inside ER?

Better still - here's a video I shot. :greengrin

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=30810

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
They used to set it up on the Friday afternoon. Once during high winds, the whole lot, STV cameras and all tumbled over the back during the night. Cost them a fortune and the game wasn't televised!:agree:

It was so high, you couldn't even see Arthur Montford's jacket from ground level.

I believe you can see it from space. :greengrin

RigRoars
11-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Used to be higher than the sky itself. From the top, huge players would look tiny, and most of our recent middlefielders would have been completely invisible. Matty Jack would have seemed about the size of a bread roll, hence all the nostalgia on here for "the Matty Jack roll".

:faf:

WindyMiller
11-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Would that have been the Scottish Cup replay in the early 70's when I couldn't get in because there were already 49,000 in the stadium. :grr:

There was a replay v. the Huns circa 1972 with 50K, an evening game.
Mclean:grr: went down for a penalty and we lost 1v2.

Keith_M
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Is that you in the closeup at about 1:06

.Sean.
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Oooft :thumbsup:

What was at the back of the terrace? A humungous big wall? Wouldnae fancy standing up the back likes :dizzy:

Hibs07p
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Aye, well outside the box IIRC.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Is that you in the closeup at about 1:06

No that's Doddie when he was a wee boy. :devil:

Penrith Hibee
11-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Sounds like it, I was in the Dunbar end with the old Libby/Inch crew and it was mental for the whole game. The traditional Hun attire was a white butcher's coat complete with meat cleaver or lump of wood. It went off all night including after the game when they were awarded a dodgy pen to win 2-1. Stein the cheating bassa went down outside the area, slid in on his ample belly and hey ho, you know the rest.....

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds like it, I was in the Dunbar end with the old Libby/Inch crew and it was mental for the whole game. The traditional Hun attire was a white butcher's coat complete with meat cleaver or lump of wood. It went off all night including after the game when they were awarded a dodgy pen to win 2-1. Stein the cheating bassa went down outside the area, slid in on his ample belly and hey ho, you know the rest.....

Young Burdie Squad ya bass. Let me at those hun bassas.:greengrin

--------
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
No that's Doddie when he was a wee boy. :devil:

Oi! I was three years old when that game was played. That's Jonnyboy.

Lookin' good, John.... :devil:

FWIW, the old stadium was grand when it was full - which in my day was about one game in seven - Rangers, Celtic, hearts, and the occasional Cup-tie or European night. On a January Saturday playing Morton or St Mirren it was freezing cold and reminiscent of something out of Soviet Siberia.

Green_one
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Still have pain from that game. Cheated and kicked off the park. Think the ref may have been a Mr Davidson of particular fame (hun loving ******)

The only good thing was that a lot of huns were locked out.

Hiber-nation
11-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I was in the "seated enclosure", now the FF when the huns won the league.

I think that was the game that Tam Forsyth went in with his studs on Ally MacLeod's neck. Play on of course :grr:

The Harp
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Ah, the old terracing!:violin: Great in fine weather but absolute murder on wet, windy, winter days.
Can remember getting down to ER shortly after 1.30 in order to get a spec on the high terracing above the path. Listening to Connie Francis belting oot 'Too Many Rules' and 'Where The Boys Are' over the tannoy.
A shilling to get in and 3d for a programme - aye they were the days when it was only 50 odd years since we won the 'Scottish'. :wink:

Feed McGraw
11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
So good to hear somebody calling " The cave " by it`s proper title , never understood why people started calling it a boring old "cow shed " - mmm... naw maybe I do know, after the wooden benches went in it DID become a boring old cow shed !

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Ah, the old terracing!:violin: Great in fine weather but absolute murder on wet, windy, winter days.
Can remember getting down to ER shortly after 1.30 in order to get a spec on the high terracing above the path. Listening to Connie Francis belting oot 'Too Many Rules' and 'Where The Boys Are' over the tannoy.
A shilling to get in and 3d for a programme - aye they were the days when it was only 50 odd years since we won the 'Scottish'. :wink:

Here's me thinking that everyone in the 50's and 60's either got in over the fence or cadged a lift over. The myth has been blown to smithereens.

weecounty hibby
11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I remeber the first time at ER and seeing this enormous terracing. I was four at the time and can still remember the feeling of awe I got that day. I think I read somewhere that it was the largest SINGLE terracing in Britain. Look at the old pics and you will see what I mean.

norhfc
11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
A mind climbing up all those steps as a young boy.The sight at the top when you saw the white sleeves and heard the crowd will always stay with me.It was not always nice and innocent with territory fought over pretty often.The sheer numbers of OF was unbelievable.I mind they used to wear builders hard hats and painted them with their IRA/UDA slogans.There where always stones lying around or beer tins to fling,come to think of it....it was another planet :agree:
Climbed up the ropes they used to whinch up the tv cameras when we got the chance,god knows how high that was !

I'm_cabbaged
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Here's me thinking that everyone in the 50's and 60's either got in over the fence or cadged a lift over. The myth has been blown to smithereens.

70's and early 80's. :greengrin

andyhibs
11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
70's and early 80's. :greengrin:agree::agree:

Penrith Hibee
11-01-2010, 07:48 PM

Were you there? Dunbar end? My mind plays tricks but I just recall mayhem all night, hordes of huns on London road, white coats on with handwritten UDF etc...very stylish.

Ringothedog
11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Were you there? Dunbar end? My mind plays tricks but I just recall mayhem all night, hordes of huns on London road, white coats on with handwritten UDF etc...very stylish.

IIRC that night there were about 30000 Hibs fans at the game.We took about 10000 to the first game at Ibrox. The bit I remember(apart from the result) is watching the Hibs fans wade into the huns in the dunbar end and burning a union flag.

When you think back it was like living on a different planet

Penrith Hibee
11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
IIRC that night there were about 30000 Hibs fans at the game.We took about 10000 to the first game at Ibrox. The bit I remember(apart from the result) is watching the Hibs fans wade into the huns in the dunbar end and burning a union flag.

When you think back it was like living on a different planet

Yep, that sounds right about the Dunbar end!

Billy McKirdy
11-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Spot on :thumbsup:

As a kid I remember being at a Hibs v Rangers game just days before Xmas 1978 & in the second half the whole top section of the east terrace filled up with huns, the few Hibbys remaining in the bottom section were forced to take refuge in the cowshed because assorted missiles (bottles, lumps of concrete ect..) rained down on us from above. the remarkable thing is the police done NOTHING to stop it.

Couldn't see that happening today. remember this was BEFORE the infamous infirm Scottish Cup Final riot of 1980, after which alchohol was totally banned from all football grounds and segregation became universal.

heretoday
11-01-2010, 09:57 PM
There wasn't any segregation in 1975 although it was not far off.

Rangers and Celtic fans at that time would frequently infiltrate all parts of the ground.

Removed
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Rangers and Celtic fans at that time would frequently infiltrate all parts of the ground.

:agree: I remember my first Hibs Rangers game at ER. I was 10 and my dad got a knife pulled on him by a Hun behind us.

Quote "shout that again and you're getting this". **** then and nothing has changed

truehibernian
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
The steps were a nightmare. I could swear that I saw a few Hibs fans start at the bottom of them looking like Rick Waller and by the time they got to the top looked like Pete Doherty. Who needed slimfast and Tab Cola when you had the East Terracing steps. They did have a small "no fly zone" between the East and the Dunbar end, with a rickety looking fence seperating the fans at one stage (early/late 80's ?? anyone recall)

snooky
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM

I remember arguing with a big Hun (who made Desperate Dan look like Peewee Herman) in the 'high bit' at a Rangers/Hibs match. That would be 1971-3 ish. (Must say, I would keep my trap shut if it happened again).
Definitely no segregation then.

James70
11-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I can remember being able to see the Forth Bridges from the top of the terracing.

I also recall the tv gantry that stood open to the elements at the highest point with Archie MacPherson taking his place on the platform, sometimes in extremely unpleasant weather! I never thought it looked a very safe construction.

It was terrible in the days before segregation being frightened to open your mouth in your own stadium for fear of getting thumped or worse when the OF came to town.

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 11:43 PM

I was there but unfortunately not in the ground. Couldn't get in as 50,000 people (a lot of which were "we are the people) had beat me to it.

:grr: I was raging but didn't hang about the area as the Albert Street chippie had a fish and chips reserved for me.

Hun Bassa. :agree:

Liberal Hibby
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I can remember being able to see the Forth Bridges from the top of the terracing.

It was terrible in the days before segregation being frightened to open your mouth in your own stadium for fear of getting thumped or worse when the OF came to town.

I remember staring at the hulk that was the old Leith Central Station from the top of the old terrace.

I also remember as a wee boy in a Hibs v Celtic game shouting 'come on you greens' as a joke and a large sweating 40 something Celtic supporter trying to attack me for taking the mickey. It set my hatred for all things plastic up for life (confirmed when one other of their so called support lobbed a cs gas canister at my old man - and the rest of the East Terrace).

I'm afraid I don't share much of the nostalgia for all things 70s (apart from punk rock)...

lapsedhibee
12-01-2010, 05:10 AM

:agree: The one, perhaps only, thing that's better about fitba in the current era is that the OFGTF are more or less kept in pens, where they belong.

Penrith Hibee
12-01-2010, 06:43 AM
I was there but unfortunately not in the ground. Couldn't get in as 50,000 people (a lot of which were "we are the people) had beat me to it.

:grr: I was raging but didn't hang about the area as the Albert Street chippie had a fish and chips reserved for me.

Hun Bassa. :agree:

Albert Street Chippie! My Grandparents lived just down from it and I have fond memories of it when I was a wee boy coming back from abroad (Dad RAF) and the first bag of chips with Vimto was just to die for!

sadtom
12-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I remember the night game from the early 70's. I was getting to go to my 1st game against der hun but as we walked from my house in Buchanan Street it was clear that their was a far larger than usual crowd by the time we got to the ground there were loads being turned away, so had to about turn and head home.

Even after segregation there would tend to be a fairly large number of o/f tramps in the hibs end (usualy 'embra based') and it would kick off. Talking of dodgy pens i remember 1980(ish) the infamous (worst dive i've ever seen) john macdonald game when he dived for the pen to get a 2-1 win. Shades attacked him on the pitch, in the tunnel and tried to get him on their bus IIRC.
The Hibs support went mad and about a couple of hundred UJ vankers in the terracing got attacked and got a right leathering. When the polis stopped the bother i remember the sight of several huns lying cabbaged on the deck and one hairy arsed freak, dressed like a uda paramilitry from a decade earlier, staggering about covered in claret mumbling "fenian basturs" as he was led away by the bizzies.

I remember the game a year or two later, after the top of the terracing was removed, and when they had the wee bit extra part of the terracing, when we played the huns at the end of the season in a meaningless game. There was a really small crowd but some of the worst bother i've ever seen in the ground. All the rubble from the top part of the terrace was still there and it turned into a 5 minute brick fight over the no-mans land. Loads hurt on both sides.

p.s. I dont suppose anyone has the footage of the Macdonald dive? I seem to remember there was one camera angle from behind the goals which showed there was at least 2 feet of daylight between the players when JMcD collapsed to the ground. The beeb only showed the most damming angle once then repeatedly showed the less clear (though still obvious) footage from the main camera position.

Joe Baker II
12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I remember the night game from the early 70's. I was getting to go to my 1st game against der hun but as we walked from my house in Buchanan Street it was clear that their was a far larger than usual crowd by the time we got to the ground there were loads being turned away, so had to about turn and head home.

Even after segregation there would tend to be a fairly large number of o/f tramps in the hibs end (usualy 'embra based') and it would kick off. Talking of dodgy pens i remember 1980(ish) the infamous (worst dive i've ever seen) john macdonald game when he dived for the pen to get a 2-1 win. Shades attacked him on the pitch, in the tunnel and tried to get him on their bus IIRC.
The Hibs support went mad and about a couple of hundred UJ vankers in the terracing got attacked and got a right leathering. When the polis stopped the bother i remember the sight of several huns lying cabbaged on the deck and one hairy arsed freak, dressed like a uda paramilitry from a decade earlier, staggering about covered in claret mumbling "fenian basturs" as he was led away by the bizzies.

I remember the game a year or two later, after the top of the terracing was removed, and when they had the wee bit extra part of the terracing, when we played the huns at the end of the season in a meaningless game. There was a really small crowd but some of the worst bother i've ever seen in the ground. All the rubble from the top part of the terrace was still there and it turned into a 5 minute brick fight over the no-mans land. Loads hurt on both sides.

p.s. I dont suppose anyone has the footage of the Macdonald dive? I seem to remember there was one camera angle from behind the goals which showed there was at least 2 feet of daylight between the players when JMcD collapsed to the ground. The beeb only showed the most damming angle once then repeatedly showed the less clear (though still obvious) footage from the main camera position.

Remember this dive very well though think it was post-segregation. Btw think most posters are highlighting the incidents that did occur at these games but from my recollection most games passed with little incident which is why I think segregation was a divisive and retrograde step.

sadtom
12-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Remember this dive very well though think it was post-segregation. Btw think most posters are highlighting the incidents that did occur at these games but from my recollection most games passed with little incident which is why I think segregation was a divisive and retrograde step.

It was post segregation.
That why i said 'even after segregation' in my post.:greengrin

tony higgins
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Btw think most posters are highlighting the incidents that did occur at these games but from my recollection most games passed with little incident which is why I think segregation was a divisive and retrograde step.

I agree with you to a certain extent, imo the powers that be went overboard with it.
Are we really in danger from supporters like Inverness Caley coming to visit ER.
Segregation existed back then but by admission price ie a stand seat cost more than the terracing so don,t be thinking of climbing over any fences or scaling walls and taking a seat next to Tom Hart unless you,d paid your extra 50p.
ps, does anybody remember people bringing their dog into ER at smaller games.

weecounty hibby
12-01-2010, 08:18 PM
[

p.s. I dont suppose anyone has the footage of the Macdonald dive? I seem to remember there was one camera angle from behind the goals which showed there was at least 2 feet of daylight between the players when JMcD collapsed to the ground. The beeb only showed the most damming angle once then repeatedly showed the less clear (though still obvious) footage from the main camera position.[/QUOTE]

I remember this as well. It was Benny Brazil who put in "the tackle". he and MacDonanld were running toward the ball, Benny stopped put his arms out in the on you go kind of way and MacDonald went down. Penalty. I remember a newspaper pic at the time of the incident and as you say it showed that Benny was about two feet away from him. Some things never change in Scottish football as Sundays game showed. Cheating *******s with almost full complicity from SFA/referees.

snooky
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I agree with you to a certain extent, imo the powers that be went overboard with it.
Are we really in danger from supporters like Inverness Caley coming to visit ER.
Segregation existed back then but by admission price ie a stand seat cost more than the terracing so don,t be thinking of climbing over any fences or scaling walls and taking a seat next to Tom Hart unless you,d paid your extra 50p.
ps, does anybody remember people bringing their dog into ER at smaller games.

Aye, my Rover loved Jimmy Bone.

tony higgins
13-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Aye, my Rover loved Jimmy Bone.

Alan Rough ?

Thigh ar la
13-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Albert Street Chippie! My Grandparents lived just down from it and I have fond memories of it when I was a wee boy coming back from abroad (Dad RAF) and the first bag of chips with Vimto was just to die for!

Remember the first time going to the Albert Street chippie as a kid. Waiting for my chips when a brick came through the window and the staff (without flinching) saying "that'll be the game finished then"...
Also remember when the old terrace was cut down and they had not put down any tarmac at the back. It was just a sea of loose stones. I remember that Aberdeen game when the linesman was hit with one on the back of the head and Jim Leighton was pelted with golf balls etc.
Also when it was the big terrace, they wouldnt let people in to the cowshed when it was raining in the later days. Iremember everyone huddled in to that corner singing 'what a way to treat the fans'..
Very different days indeed!

Baker9
13-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Huge !!...when you went through the turnstyle you were faced wi hundreds o steps ...getting up them was breathtaking but well worth it when ye eventually got to the top ..:notworthy:

October nights, European games, damp weather and getting the first glimpse of that beautiful green pitch from the very top. The first sight of the players as they left the tunnel for the start of the game. Breathtaking, awe inspiring.

poolman
13-01-2010, 11:58 AM

:agree: Even "Tiny Wharton" looked "tiny"

ancient hibee
13-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I remember being called an Orange b*****d by a Celtic supporter.Those were the days when the newspapers regularly referred to OF fans as the most knowledgeable supporters in the world.Anyone else old enough to remember that we put up special white nets for floodlit nights?

Isaac_Refvik
13-01-2010, 12:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdH1kpX2bOU

Love watching stuff like this (apart from the fact that it's Rangers winning the league)- At the end singing Champions! Champions! Didn't i tell you, Didn't i tell you, to the tune of Gary Glitter's:grr: Oh Yes! You're Beautiful. Quality!!