PDA

View Full Version : Hibs.net Pre-United Drink/Meet?

Sylar
10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
As we know, we're up in Dundee this weekend to face the Arabs, and as there quite a few of us going to be there (particularly a few of us "locals"), I thought it may be an idea to arrange a meet-up for a drink before the game?

Offer open to anyone, other than TQM, who no doubt will have hospitality :rolleyes::wink:

Mikey
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a plan. Where are you thinking?

IWasThere2016
10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Offer open to anyone, other than TQM, who no doubt will have hospitality :rolleyes::wink:

Indeedy - I'll have one for ye tho! Or I might make it if yer early enough :wink:

Sylar
10-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Not really sure which boozer the Hibs fans usually go to before the game? Town centre has a great number of pubs, but is around a 15 minute walk to the ground. Not sure about the pubs near Tannadice - I know the 4 J's is usually home fans only right enough. Pubs on The Hilltown are probably life threatening!!!

Probably The Counting House, which is next to the McManus Galleries, and walkable in 10 minutes would be an idea, though I don't know what their policy for colours is.

Moulin Yarns
11-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Not really sure which boozer the Hibs fans usually go to before the game? Town centre has a great number of pubs, but is around a 15 minute walk to the ground. Not sure about the pubs near Tannadice - I know the 4 J's is usually home fans only right enough. Pubs on The Hilltown are probably life threatening!!!

Probably The Counting House, which is next to the McManus Galleries, and walkable in 10 minutes would be an idea, though I don't know what their policy for colours is.

I will probably be picking up an Arab in Perth, and he usually goes to Frews, north of Tanadice.

H18sry
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
I will probably be picking up an Arab in Perth, and he usually goes to Frews, north of Tanadice.

Thats where the Carlton bus go/used to go nice wee sports bar/snug. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
11-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Have you contacted their mob about the meet, or do you want me to do that?

(Joke!)

RIP
11-01-2010, 08:26 AM
It's my wee brother (IanfaeClerrie)'s birthday that day

I see wee brother - he's 52 and umpteen stone

Put us down for 2 old adults, 1 young adults (20), two teenagers (13/14) and a wee one (11). A possible addition of another 20-year old and 15-year old.

7 six-footers and a tiddler. :greengrin

Requirements for us Mackays

Car park
Child Friendly
Grub

Moulin Yarns
11-01-2010, 12:31 PM

I asked an Arab mate about the Counting House and got this as a reply

20 – 30 minute uphill walk or get bus no 1 from Albert Square or 18 from Commercial Street.

I would rather be closer to the ground, and Frews is just up dens road, junction with clepington Road.

IWasThere2016
11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I asked an Arab mate about the Counting House and got this as a reply

20 – 30 minute uphill walk or get bus no 1 from Albert Square or 18 from Commercial Street.

I would rather be closer to the ground, and Frews is just up dens road, junction with clepington Road.

Frews is decent, as is the Snug (you're 300 yds to away end of Tannadeechee)

The Snug Bar (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+Snug+++Dundee&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=the+Snug&hnear=Dundee&cid=12512479299761758311)

Counting House is too far IMHO

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
The Clep is a nice wee old fashioned pub, maybe a bit too much on the wee side if a fair few bodies turn up though!

Moulin Yarns
11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Frews is decent, as is the Snug (you're 300 yds to away end of Tannadeechee)

The Snug Bar (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+Snug+++Dundee&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=the+Snug&hnear=Dundee&cid=12512479299761758311)

Counting House is too far IMHO

I think I'm going to Frews with my Arab mate, ALL WELCOME

:notworthy:

RIP
12-01-2010, 06:24 AM
I think I'm going to Frews with my Arab mate, ALL WELCOME

Dave - can you tell us if kids are welcome and if the pub does any grub?

stu in nottingham
12-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I just had a look at Frew's Bar, purely out of curiosity because it's my own surname. Looks very much worth a visit:

CAMRA - Frews Bar, Dundee (http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/national-inventory-entry.asp?pubid=309)

Raising a glass to Scotland's historic pubs (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/news_search_results.htm/news_article.htm?articleid=24234)

'Frews is a typical Dundee tenement bar, designed by the Dundee architects Henry & Frank Thomson who contributed many important buildings to the City and an unusual example dating from their short-lived partnership.

A fine Art Deco bar was created in 1934. Overlooking a busy junction it is just a short walk from both of Dundee's football grounds.'

Enjoy your meet, Hibbies!

hibbie02
12-01-2010, 09:17 AM
It's been many many years since I was in Dundee, but there used to be a church at the bottom of the hill that became a pub. Back then it was a novelty and a no bad place to go. Does it still exist?

Sylar
12-01-2010, 09:33 AM
It's been many many years since I was in Dundee, but there used to be a church at the bottom of the hill that became a pub. Back then it was a novelty and a no bad place to go. Does it still exist?

Aye, it's still there - there are a couple of church-turned-pubs in Dundee actually. The one at the bottom of the hill is probably Deacon Brodies?

12AlbionPlace
12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
We were in The Maltman (Mains Road) pre match in last years 2-2 match. When we decided not to go we spent the afternoon in there, seemed friendly enough.

Moulin Yarns
12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Dave - can you tell us if kids are welcome and if the pub does any grub?

There are three bars with one designated a family bar.

I'll check on the food situation

EDIT:
Family friendly with toasties . Kids in Sporting Lounge only . Access via main bar .

ArabHibee
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM

10 minute walk to Tannadice? You must be a fast walker! 30 minutes easy and its all uphill. I also wouldn't go near the Counting House with a bargepole! It's full of jakeys going in for the cheap drink.

Aye, it's still there - there are a couple of church-turned-pubs in Dundee actually. The one at the bottom of the hill is probably Deacon Brodies?

Easy to see you're no from Dundee Scott, the pub hibbie02 will be referring to will be the Cafe Club, which is no longer there. In fact, it burned down around 1991 and is now a block of student flats.

hibbie02
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
10 minute walk to Tannadice? You must be a fast walker! 30 minutes easy and its all uphill. I also wouldn't go near the Counting House with a bargepole! It's full of jakeys going in for the cheap drink.

Easy to see you're no from Dundee Scott, the pub hibbie02 will be referring to will be the Cafe Club, which is no longer there. In fact, it burned down around 1991 and is now a block of student flats.

It was around 1982 I was last there and for some reason the name Gabriels rings a bell but that might be the place in Southampton I used to go to in 1993..... It certainly wasn't Cafe Club in 82 but it was at the foot of the hill.

ArabHibee
12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
It was around 1982 I was last there and for some reason the name Gabriels rings a bell but that might be the place in Southampton I used to go to in 1993..... It certainly wasn't Cafe Club in 82 but it was at the foot of the hill.

It may well have been called Gabriels before the Cafe Club. 1982 is way before my drinking days! :greengrin

Sylar
12-01-2010, 03:13 PM

I did notice that the last time I was in actually, but had hoped it was perhaps because there was an OF derby on, the same day. Used to be brilliant for it's "Curry and a pint" night, but it's been a while since I was last in there. As a result, that's probably why I'm thinking it's less of a walk, though I AM quite a quick walker, and could probably do that in 10/15 mins

I quite like the fact that it's obvious I'm not from Dundee to be honest - don't mind it being my adopted city for a fair few reasons, but I'm glad I can't be mixed up with the locals :greengrin

You going to come along to this AH?

ArabHibee
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
You going to come along to this AH?

Mibbe. :wink:

RIP
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
There are three bars with one designated a family bar.

I'll check on the food situation

EDIT:
Family friendly with toasties . Kids in Sporting Lounge only . Access via main bar .

OK Dave - 2 adults - 4 kids joining the party

I'll be completely sober this time!! :drunk::embarrass

silverhibee
12-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Frews it is then.:greengrin

down-the-slope
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Time :yawn:

Sylar
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
1pm?

A couple of drinks, some lunch and either Hamilton vs Rangers (again) or Stoke City vs Liverpool, both lunchtime kick offs! :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm hoping to be in the Snug about 12 .. Its then Tanna at 1.15 for the hospitality :thumbsup:

RIP
13-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Etiquette?

I don't want to appear a tube but should we wear our :hnet: username on a post-it e.g. DTS, SH, QM, PH, 49YAH? :greengrin

H18sry
13-01-2010, 07:53 AM

The snug will be bursting at the seams then, and as I mentioned before The Carlton are booked in there and its not a big place, be warned :devil:

IWasThere2016
13-01-2010, 08:13 AM
The snug will be bursting at the seams then, and as I mentioned before The Carlton are booked in there and its not a big place, be warned :devil:

It's mobbed maist match days R

Moulin Yarns
13-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Etiquette?

I don't want to appear a tube but should we wear our :hnet: username on a post-it e.g. DTS, SH, QM, PH, 49YAH? :greengrin

Or just wander in and shout Hey is the Story So Far here? :thumbsup:that should work

18/03/07
13-01-2010, 03:59 PM
A few years since i've been there,was there not 2 pubs at the top of the street called the white swan and the ammbasador:confused:

ArabHibee
13-01-2010, 09:25 PM
A few years since i've been there,was there not 2 pubs at the top of the street called the white swan and the ammbasador:confused:

The game's in Dundee, dunno what city you're thinking about. :greengrin

18/03/07
13-01-2010, 09:38 PM
The game's in Dundee, dunno what city you're thinking about. :greengrin
Dundee,but its been about 20 years buddy,maybe wrong but was there not 2 pubs at the top of the st where the 2 grounds are(dens was the nearest to them) but then again im old and may be going seanile,bollocks about the spelling

ArabHibee
13-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Dundee,but its been about 20 years buddy,maybe wrong but was there not 2 pubs at the top of the st where the 2 grounds are(dens was the nearest to them) but then again im old and may be going seanile,bollocks about the spelling

There are loads of pubs round Dens and Tannadice but I've never heard of either of those, even 20 years ago. Someone else might be able to confirm.

MSK
13-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Dundee,but its been about 20 years buddy,maybe wrong but was there not 2 pubs at the top of the st where the 2 grounds are(dens was the nearest to them) but then again im old and may be going seanile,bollocks about the spellingDont remember the White Swan but there was a Whites bar & iirc the Ambasador was a snooker club not too far away from the grounds ...

H18sry
14-01-2010, 08:57 AM
The Ambassador which was a big double sided bar, was directly above both grounds up the hill so to speak on a main [ish] road you had to walk down hill through the estate to the grounds. :greengrin

18/03/07
14-01-2010, 11:47 AM
The Ambassador which was a big double sided bar, was directly above both grounds up the hill so to speak on a main [ish] road you had to walk down hill through the estate to the grounds. :greengrin
Thanks for that answer,im sure i was in it one day many years ago,we lost 4.1 or 4.0 with G.Mitchel I think scoring a own goal past A.Goram I think.
The other pub may have been Whites,not the White Swan as suggested on the post above yours,anyway are these pubs still there?

MSK
14-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks for that answer,im sure i was in it one day many years ago,we lost 4.1 or 4.0 with G.Mitchel I think scoring a own goal past A.Goram I think.
The other pub may have been Whites,not the White Swan as suggested on the post above yours,anyway are these pubs still there?Aye Whites is still on the go ...Provost rd ..just off the Clep...:agree:

Moulin Yarns
14-01-2010, 12:33 PM
The other pub may have been Whites,not the White Swan as suggested on the post above yours,anyway are these pubs still there?

Who cares, we're all going to Frews

MacBean
14-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I'll be heading up with my dad and picking 2 of my Cus' (EllChrisso) in Perth! I'm sure we'll be there for a few drinks prematch!

Hibbyradge
15-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm travelling with the Carlton Branch tomorrow.

I'll see you all there.

Removed
15-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Am going up with my laddie - aiming to get away early and hope to meet up with you guys :thumbsup:

Moulin Yarns
16-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Rain battering down in Perthshire today.

We are Hibernian FC
We're of to Frews
For beer and toastees
We will drink wherever we may be
For we are the famous HFC

Sylar
16-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Aye, it's bloody miserable in Dundee as well. Never fails!

ArabHibee
16-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Peeing it down North of Perth as well.

The chickens are looking drookit.

Moulin Yarns
16-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Peeing it down North of Perth as well.

The chickens are looking drookit.

:greengrin

tony higgins
17-01-2010, 02:33 PM
So did you all meet up ?

Phil MaGlass
17-01-2010, 02:39 PM
And if you all did where was the f,n atmosphere in the ground,call yirsels netters for gods sake.

ArabHibee
17-01-2010, 05:43 PM
And if you all did where was the f,n atmosphere in the ground,call yirsels netters for gods sake.

Aye, but it's only bairns, people with families, OAPs and dafties that post on here so how would you expect an atmosphere? :greengrin

ronaldo7
17-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I met up with Pitlochry and his wee united pal.

Me and the laddie went up to the match but as I am over 40 realised that I wouldn't be allowed in so went back to the pub.

Just wish I could have practiced my singing voice:cool2: