PDA

View Full Version : Hibby Birthday

blueisthecolour
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I just notice I got a hibby birthday message from hibs.net so thanks a lot hibs.net, my team added 10 yrs to me I think today.:sauzee:

hibsdaft
10-01-2010, 08:13 PM
.:sauzee:

vive le guen :agree::agree:

greenlex
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Happy Birthday Smurf coloured one.

Keith_M
10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Let me guess, your DoB is 1.6.90

:wink:

blueisthecolour
10-01-2010, 08:24 PM

I see what you did there:wink:, but I wouldn't get that message today:rolleyes:

Keith_M
10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Oops, no very bright, am I

:whistle:

lapsedhibee
10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I see what you did there:wink:, but I wouldn't get that message today:rolleyes:

Doesn't one of your spiritual leaders have two different birthdays though - a "real" one and an "official" one?

blueisthecolour
10-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Doesn't one of your spiritual leaders have two different birthdays though - a "real" one and an "official" one?

Good to see how highly im thought of if that's the comparison being made:top marks

NOLA
10-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Happy Birthday Blue is! even you lot deserve some happiness at least once a year, taking into account the buckie intake:wink:

Baader
10-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Haha! Yes is it your 16th or 90th?!

Happy birthday anyway! :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Happy Birthday:thumbsup:, ya hun:greengrin

iwasthere1972
11-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I just notice I got a hibby birthday message from hibs.net so thanks a lot hibs.net, my team added 10 yrs to me I think today.:sauzee:

Happy (belated) Birthday ya hun bassa. :greengrin

joe_hfc
11-01-2010, 01:53 AM
With no intent to hijack this thread, steering it away from the Rangers fans wonderful 14th birthday, but isn't it a bit hypocritical of some on here to call a hun (even in jest) when we would be the first to exclaim "sectarianism" if we were called Fenians or Taigs?

Cabbage East
11-01-2010, 07:11 AM
With no intent to hijack this thread, steering it away from the Rangers fans wonderful 14th birthday, but isn't it a bit hypocritical of some on here to call a hun (even in jest) when we would be the first to exclaim "sectarianism" if we were called Fenians or Taigs?

Hardly the same thing is it.

Barney McGrew
11-01-2010, 07:19 AM

Don't believe the hype. We call them Huns because of their resemblance to the Huns of the past:

"All surviving accounts were written by enemies of the Huns, and none describe the Huns as attractive either morally or in appearance.Jordanes, a Goth writing in Italy in 551, a century after the collapse of the Hunnic Empire, describes the Huns as a "savage race, which dwelt at first in the swamps,--a stunted, foul and puny tribe, scarcely human, and having no language save one which bore but slight resemblance to human speech. "They made their foes flee in horror because their swarthy aspect was fearful, and they had, if I may call it so, a sort of shapeless lump, not a head, with pin-holes rather than eyes. Their hardihood is evident in their wild appearance, and they are beings who are cruel to their children on the very day they are born. For they cut the cheeks of the males with a sword, so that before they receive the nourishment of milk they must learn to endure wounds. Hence they grow old beardless and their young men are without comeliness, because a face furrowed by the sword spoils by its scars the natural beauty of a beard. They are short in stature, quick in bodily movement, alert horsemen, broad shouldered, ready in the use of bow and arrow, and have firm-set necks which are ever erect in pride. Though they live in the form of men, they have the cruelty of wild beasts."

I think that sums them up quite nicely, and there's nothing sectarian about it :wink:

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Don't believe the hype. We call them Huns because of their resemblance to the Huns of the past:

"All surviving accounts were written by enemies of the Huns, and none describe the Huns as attractive either morally or in appearance.Jordanes, a Goth writing in Italy in 551, a century after the collapse of the Hunnic Empire, describes the Huns as a "savage race, which dwelt at first in the swamps,--a stunted, foul and puny tribe, scarcely human, and having no language save one which bore but slight resemblance to human speech. "They made their foes flee in horror because their swarthy aspect was fearful, and they had, if I may call it so, a sort of shapeless lump, not a head, with pin-holes rather than eyes. Their hardihood is evident in their wild appearance, and they are beings who are cruel to their children on the very day they are born. For they cut the cheeks of the males with a sword, so that before they receive the nourishment of milk they must learn to endure wounds. Hence they grow old beardless and their young men are without comeliness, because a face furrowed by the sword spoils by its scars the natural beauty of a beard. They are short in stature, quick in bodily movement, alert horsemen, broad shouldered, ready in the use of bow and arrow, and have firm-set necks which are ever erect in pride. Though they live in the form of men, they have the cruelty of wild beasts."

I think that sums them up quite nicely, and there's nothing sectarian about it :wink:They must have moved to Govan just after then! :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Huns just another derogatory term for a Rangers supporter, nothing sectarian about it at all. It's exactly like the Yams calling us Hobo's. I personally couldn't give a toss, even if other sets of fans started referring to us that way. In fact, I quite like it. Have always fancied myself as a gun-slinging gentleman of the road, in the wild west, jumping on freight trains, picking up work as a cattle hand here and there, earnin a few dollars to hit the saloon for a shot of red eye and the company of a purty lady, yes ma'am...

Ok, i'll stop now, but you get the point.

(BTW thanks to the Yams for a relatively inoffensive nickname, I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but it's good to see that your incompetence in footballing matters spreads effortlessly to the cultural arena.)

blueisthecolour
11-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Im used to this term, doesn't mean I like it, If you go to nil by mouth website, it's a site against sectarianism, It tells you being called a hun is the equivalent of being called a fenian, someone was arrested in glasgow after our uefa cup final for wearing a t-shirt with the slogan ha ha hun bas**rds (something like this anyway)

J-C
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Im used to this term, doesn't mean I like it, If you go to nil by mouth website, it's a site against sectarianism, It tells you being called a hun is the equivalent of being called a fenian, someone was arrested in glasgow after our uefa cup final for wearing a t-shirt with the slogan ha ha hun bas**rds (something like this anyway)

I think you need to be educated a little bit, don't ignore this link, please read it and then afterwards try to point out any sectarian bias towards yourself and the rest of your buddies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

blueisthecolour
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I think you need to be educated a little bit, don't ignore this link, please read it and then afterwards try to point out any sectarian bias towards yourself and the rest of your buddies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

Can you put in to your own words what a hun is and why you call rangers fans huns, Ive been told by plenty of celtic, hibs even falkirk fans but have yet to hear the same explanation from 2 people.

J-C
11-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Can you put in to your own words what a hun is and why you call rangers fans huns, Ive been told by plenty of celtic, hibs even falkirk fans but have yet to hear the same explanation from 2 people.

Ok, I'll try.......

The Huns were a group of Germanic people originally from Hungary/ Germany and throughout their reign swept through Eastern Europe using brutal and barbaric ways to conquer these lands. Infact during WW1 the Germans were commonly known as the Huns.

Glasgow Rangers and their supporters have become known as Huns due to their extreme, at times right wing attitude to their opposition supporters, decrying all and sundry as either fenians or other such names, this is also due to their extreme protestant views, similar to those of the Germans during WW1/WW2.

There is also a strong connections to the Royal family's early Germanic roots and as you'd know, most Rangers fans are would be Englishmen.

aljo7-0
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I think the reason most of us will refer to you as a Hun is simply tradition. I've always heard Rangers fans referred to as Huns, since my first game as a wee boy. I had always understood it was because of rioting Rangers fans bringing the type of destruction to parts of Europe that the original Huns brought to the Roman Empire. I've certainly never thought it as sectarian - just quite funny.

allmodcons
11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Ok, I'll try.......

The Huns were a group of Germanic people originally from Hungary/ Germany and throughout their reign swept through Eastern Europe using brutal and barbaric ways to conquer these lands. Infact during WW1 the Germans were commonly known as the Huns.

Glasgow Rangers and their supporters have become known as Huns due to their extreme, at times right wing attitude to their opposition supporters, decrying all and sundry as either fenians or other such names, this is also due to their extreme protestant views, similar to those of the Germans during WW1/WW2.

There is also a strong connections to the Royal family's early Germanic roots and as you'd know, most Rangers fans are would be Englishmen.

Nae luck Blue Is!!

Disnae look like you're going to enjoy your birthday without a serious debate about what constitutes a Hun!!

Have good day! You seem like a decent 'Hun' to me.

Rory89
11-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Why would a hun ever want to post on hibs.net? I found a lot of people on here annoying as it is, and I support the same team as them.

blueisthecolour
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, I'll try.......

ok, you are entitled to you opinion, ive had many debates on here before, prob best not get in to again, what I will say is im protestant was brought up going to church sunday school ect but certainly don't have any problems with catholics or any other religion for that matter, Im proud to be Scottish and don't feel the need to want to be English, Although im British and not ashamed to be, I think the problem is people who are happy to be British other's mistake of thinking that means wanting to be English.

blueisthecolour
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Nae luck Blue Is!!

Disnae look like you're going to enjoy your birthday without a serious debate about what constitutes a Hun!!

Have good day! You seem like a decent 'Hun' to me.

Not at all mate, I not keen on being called a hun but it's not something im going to lose sleep over, if it was there is now way I would have lasted as long on this message board.

...WentToMowAnSPL
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM

Aha, you want the mathematical proof !

I'll try

1 hun = 1 rangers fan
=> 1 rangers fan = 1 hun

1 hearts fan + return bus fare to Ibrox = 1 hun
=>1 hearts fan = 1 hun - return bus fare to Ibrox

1 hearts fan = 1 mini-hun
=> 1 mini-hun = 1 hun - return bus fare to ibrox

:greengrin

MSK
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Why would a hun ever want to post on hibs.net? I found a lot of people on here annoying as it is, and I support the same team as them.Prob the same reason, yams, celts, Partick, Killie, Abersheep, Nottingham Forest, Leicester & many more do ..:rolleyes:

J-C
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
ok, you are entitled to you opinion, ive had many debates on here before, prob best not get in to again, what I will say is im protestant was brought up going to church sunday school ect but certainly don't have any problems with catholics or any other religion for that matter, Im proud to be Scottish and don't feel the need to want to be English, Although im British and not ashamed to be, I think the problem is people who are happy to be British other's mistake of thinking that means wanting to be English.

It's the majority of Rangers fans who have helped in giving them the name Huns, due mainly as I stated there extreme right wing protestant views and their wish of being English over their birthplace Scotland, singing God Save teh Queen and flying the Union Jack doesn't really help these matters.

Me I was went to sunday school etc but although being brought up protestant, I have no desire to be religious one way or the other, being a good athiest that I am. So me, I take everyone as I find them, no matter what religious or ethical persuasion they may be.

Happy bithday, and don't get too het up about being called a Hun, it is only a name after all. :greengrin

blueisthecolour
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Why would a hun ever want to post on hibs.net? I found a lot of people on here annoying as it is, and I support the same team as them.

I like to talk football mate, I also like to get the views from other teams fans, for instance I thought both penalty's in our game yesterday were very soft, but the reaction on here seems to be there was only one soft pen.

BroxburnHibee
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I like to talk football mate, I also like to get the views from other teams fans, for instance I thought both penalty's in our game yesterday were very soft, but the reaction on here seems to be there was only one soft pen.

Nope - both were soft - but I'd have put my mortgage on Rangers getting one from Richmond to even things up. :wink:

Bayern Bru
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM

LTHF.
:cool2:

Oh, and happy birthday blue.:thumbsup:

sadtom
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM

There was one soft pen.
The one rongers got wasn't a pen. (or at least shouldn't have been, so therefore not 'soft')

Baw187
11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Nope - both were soft - but I'd have put my mortgage on Rangers getting one from Richmond to even things up. :wink:

:agree:

One was softer than the other. The Hamilton one you can see why it's given. They both go up for the ball and the boy gets kind of pushed. It would look like a pen to the ref.

The Rangers one was just silly. There's no way he could have avoided the ball hitting his hand and tried vain to do so. There's just no way you could seriously give it.... unless yer a masonic ref.:wink:

Keith_M
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I always thought Rangers fans were orginally termed 'Hun' by their Sellik-Minded friends. My understanding is that it was an abbreviation of 'Honey', the greeting developing over time into 'Hello Hun'.

The obvious reply to which, and only ever in reply, would be an emphasised Hello, as in 'Hullo, Hullo'.

:greengrin