PDA

View Full Version : Arabs on Saturday at Tannadice

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 06:43 PM
A bit early, but this is a huge game for both sides. We've not been performing brilliantly, and they've been faltering badly.

I wonder if Yogi will be tempted to tinker with a sluggish Greens side, and shuffle the pack a little?

woodythehibee
10-01-2010, 06:48 PM
A bit early, but this is a huge game for both sides. We've not been performing brilliantly, and they've been faltering badly.

I wonder if Yogi will be tempted to tinker with a sluggish Greens side, and shuffle the pack a little?

I hope so. We need to freshen it up a little.

Basic 442 would suit me fine.

Smith

Spoony Hogg Hanlon Murray

Zouma McBride Miller Riordan

Stokes Benji

Murray is at his best at LB so he can bomb forward and support Riordan which will hopefully enhance deek's game.

Benji deserves a shot i think, would be interesting to see how him and stokes link up.

The main worry is Utd's aerial threat which may cause us problems especially since we are missing Bamba.

California-Hibs
10-01-2010, 06:49 PM
This games huge IMO, but in reality every game is from now until the end of the season. A win on Saturday will see us stretch our points difference to 8 over then, but at the same time if we lose, it'll be down to 2 and they'll get a massive boost from that if that is to happen.
Tannadice is never an easy place to go, but they are definatly there for the taking at the moment during this shakey spell for them without a manager.
I'd play the same team as Saturday, with only the one change coming being Mcbride for Rankin. I dont think Hanlon is quite ready to be playing for our first team yet, the past 3 games he's looked out of place, and quite frankly terrible, Stevenson is poor aswel, so Paul will have to stay put because we dont have much options in defence at the moment.

stubru59
10-01-2010, 06:50 PM

That might depend on whether we have any new signings.

Jim44
10-01-2010, 07:06 PM
A draw would suit me but I think we have a great chance of consolidating our 3rd place.

Ell_Chrisso
10-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I hope so. We need to freshen it up a little.

Basic 442 would suit me fine.

Smith

Spoony Hogg Hanlon Murray

Zouma McBride Miller Riordan

Stokes Benji

Murray is at his best at LB so he can bomb forward and support Riordan which will hopefully enhance deek's game.

Benji deserves a shot i think, would be interesting to see how him and stokes link up.

The main worry is Utd's aerial threat which may cause us problems especially since we are missing Bamba.

Was Hanlon played at CH yesterday? I really haven't witnessed any performance of the young lad at this level, for me to see he would be a good centre half. I defo wouldn't move murray for him at LB either, as he is far to catious to get forward and support. Whats happened to Thicot? Why don't we give him a shot at CH? He done nout wrong towards the tail end of last season in that position. The only other thing i would suggest is putting Ian back to centre half, and playing Lewis Stevenson at LB.

Benji got his chance at the start along side Stokes, and done next to nothing. Has far too many games where he just does'nt put in a shift, or isn't interested.

Id be hoping that if Benji did get given the chance, he would be buzzing to prove he can still be considered in this first team.

Id go with ..

Smith
Spoon Hogg Thicot (if fit) Murray ... or Spoon Hogg Murray Stevenson
Zemmama McBride Miller Riordan
Nish Stokes.

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Was Hanlon played at CH yesterday? I really haven't witnessed any performance of the young lad at this level, for me to see he would be a good centre half. I defo wouldn't move murray for him at LB either, as he is far to catious to get forward and support. Whats happened to Thicot? Why don't we give him a shot at CH? He done nout wrong towards the tail end of last season in that position. The only other thing i would suggest is putting Ian back to centre half, and playing Lewis Stevenson at LB.

Benji got his chance at the start along side Stokes, and done next to nothing. Has far too many games where he just does'nt put in a shift, or isn't interested.

Id be hoping that if Benji did get given the chance, he would be buzzing to prove he can still be considered in this first team.

Id go with ..

Smith
Spoon Hogg Thicot (if fit) Murray ... or Spoon Hogg Murray Stevenson
Zemmama McBride Miller Riordan
Nish Stokes.

Dundee Utd are probably the biggest team in the SPL and rely heavily on set pieces into the likes of Dods, Webster, Wilkie, Daly and you come up with playing Lewis Stevenson in the back four.

Jim44
10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Dundee Utd are probably the biggest team in the SPL and rely heavily on set pieces into the likes of Dods, Webster, Wilkie, Daly and you come up with playing Lewis Stevenson in the back four.

...but they're jumping five inches lower now that Harry has jumped ship.:greengrin

sunshine1875
10-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Hopefully, we will be able to watch a fine Hibs win on BBC Alba in the evening.

From BBC Alba website:

The 'as-live' coverage of SPL football continues with matches including Dundee United v Hibs (Saturday, 16 January, at 2000).

Ell_Chrisso
10-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Whats your solution, Gaffer?

lobster
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Need to watch out for Casalinuovo's Maradona-esque batting qualitites :wink:

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Whats your solution, Gaffer?

I would play Murray, Hogg, Hanlon and possibly Nish.

Nish has his favourite teams he seems to do well against and he did well up there last year. He defends set pieces very well.

I feel if we cope with their set pieces we are likely to get a result.

Ell_Chrisso
10-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Ok, so what your saying is Hanlon is the solution?

I know what your thinking. I also hope Hanlon can become that Big next player for Hibs, But for me, the lad has STRUGGLED badly, up against Physical players this season. Take the first couple of games, against St Mirren & St Johnstone for example, These teams had alot of joy against Hanlon, out muscling him, and targetting him, as a way of direct attack, with the likes of Martin Hardie all over him all day. Thats why he lost his position in the team, as soon as Murray come back in.

I reckon, although Lewis is smaller, he will compete, as much as Hanlon will. He also likes a tackle, just as much as Hanlon. And in my opinion, is definatly the better option for getting forward also, to help the wings & midfield.

Nish had a stormer there last year, when we were 2 nil up at HT, only to blow it as usual.

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Nish has his favourite teams he seems to do well against and he did well up there last year. He defends set pieces very well.

Although he's not very good, I'm a horses for courses man, and I tend to agree about Nish. We do need height on this occassion.

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Ok, so what your saying is Hanlon is the solution?

I know what your thinking. I also hope Hanlon can become that Big next player for Hibs, But for me, the lad has STRUGGLED badly, up against Physical players this season. Take the first couple of games, against St Mirren & St Johnstone for example, These teams had alot of joy against Hanlon, out muscling him, and targetting him, as a way of direct attack, with the likes of Martin Hardie all over him all day. Thats why he lost his position in the team, as soon as Murray come back in.

I reckon, although Lewis is smaller, he will compete, as much as Hanlon will. He also likes a tackle, just as much as Hanlon. And in my opinion, is definatly the better option for getting forward also, to help the wings & midfield.

Nish had a stormer there last year, when we were 2 nil up at HT, only to blow it as usual.

Its a game we would have loved to have Bamba for but in his absence we just have to get on with it.

I dont think I am claiming Hanlon is the answer particularly I was going by the height difference between him and Stevenson.

FWIW you say Lewis gives us more going forward, I would dispute this. Hanlon has scored three goals for Hibs, three more than Stevenson who has played a helluva lot more games.

Newhaven
10-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Thicot (if fit)

Well he aint match fit as he hasn't played a first team game for ages :confused:

Ell_Chrisso
10-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Its a game we would have loved to have Bamba for but in his absence we just have to get on with it.

I dont think I am claiming Hanlon is the answer particularly I was going by the height difference between him and Stevenson.

FWIW you say Lewis gives us more going forward, I would dispute this. Hanlon has scored three goals for Hibs, three more than Stevenson who has played a helluva lot more games.

Has Stevenson not scored for Hibs at all?

More to the point, im meaning some-one who will support. Who will take on the Midfielder, offer an over-lapping run, to the likes of Riordan. Hanlon is v reluctant to do this.

I know Hanlon may have scored at the weekend, but come on? Goals should.. and i mean SHOULD have been coming from everywhere.

SquashedFrogg
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Which teams?

:dunno:

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Has Stevenson not scored for Hibs at all?

More to the point, im meaning some-one who will support. Who will take on the Midfielder, offer an over-lapping run, to the likes of Riordan. Hanlon is v reluctant to do this.

I know Hanlon may have scored at the weekend, but come on? Goals should.. and i mean SHOULD have been coming from everywhere.

Stevenson has never scored for Hibs.

I agree goals should come from everywhere in the side but if we take Deeks and Stokes goals away the next scorer is Zouma on three, not good enough in my opinion.

McBride 0, Rankin 0, Hogg 0, Murray 0, Miller 1, Wotherspoon 1 and that's from 6 players who are virtual first picks in the team. Anyone who is liable to nick a goal cannot be ignored in my opinion.

I like Lewis as a player but in midfield not left back. He is a good professional, always works hard in training, never gives the manager grief and never takes the huff when not picked. All these attributes make him very popular but despite this I don't think he will at the club long term.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out on loan this month.

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Which teams?

:dunno:

Dundee Utd and ICT to name 2.

SquashedFrogg
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Hanlon and Stevenson are different players IMO.

Hanlon has all the attributes to be a great defender (full back/centre half). reminds me of a young Murray.

I like him alot.

Stevenson's different... Put in an absolute perfect display in the cup final against Kilmarnock in a kind of inside left midfield role. I really like him but I fear he may be away soon.

Pity as he's one of my wee boys favourites!!

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Let's hope we can beat City/Montrose, and ICT come through their cup ties to meet up in the quarters.

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Let's hope we can beat City/Montrose, and ICT come through their cup ties to meet up in the quarters.

Sold, but only if at home.

SquashedFrogg
10-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Aren't ICTin the SFL?

So we have a striker who's favourite teams he love scoring against are/is/could be...Dundee Utd?

Offer him a 5 year deal now!

As it happens I actually see value in having big Nishy in our squad/team, but don't give me this favourite team stuff...

He doesn't score enough goals to have favourite teams!

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Aren't ICTin the SFL?

So we have a striker who's favourite teams he love scoring against are/is/could be...Dundee Utd?

As it happens I actually see value in having big Nishy in our squad/team, but don't give me this favourite team stuff...

So Nish wasted his time scoring against ICT because they were going to get relegated, f****** idiot that player. Imagine doing something stupid like that.

No need to pass a comment like give him a 5 year deal, that's why the above reply is just as dodgy.

Check Nish's SPL scoring record and you will see that it isn't bad.

.Sean.
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Aren't ICTin the SFL?

I'd play him. Not half as bad as people on here seem to think, but when he's off form he does tend to have a shocker.

Certainly something different to anything else we have up front.

18Craig75
10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I guess McCormack is still suspended? I'm really keen to see more of Wotherspoon @ RM, I really think he will flourish in that role given time. Hopefully we manage to get a right back in during this window!

For Saturday:

Smith

Spoony Hogg Murray Hanlon

McBride

Miller Cregg

Zemmama . . . . . . . . . . Riordan

Stokes

I would also like to see Hanlon at CH, however, I think if Yogi had intentions of playing him there, surely againts IM was the time to try him? McBride, Cregg & Miller to do all the leg work in midfield. Riordan to drift in more central and get more of the ball this week. We haven't been getting the ball to him enough recently, although I do think he could go looking for it a bit more than he has been!

Lets get back on track in the league, hopefully take a decent support up there as well :thumbsup:

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I guess McCormack is still suspended? I'm really keen to see more of Wotherspoon @ RM, I really think he will flourish in that role given time. Hopefully we manage to get a right back in during this window!

For Saturday:

Smith

Spoony Hogg Murray Hanlon

McBride

Miller Cregg

Zemmama . . . . . . . . . . Riordan

Stokes

I would also like to see Hanlon at CH, however, I think if Yogi had intentions of playing him there, surely againts IM was the time to try him? McBride, Cregg & Miller to do all the leg work in midfield. Riordan to drift in more central and get more of the ball this week. We haven't been getting the ball to him enough recently, although I do think he could go looking for it a bit more than he has been!

Lets get back on track in the league, hopefully take a decent support up there as well :thumbsup:

Just checked the SFA website and Darren was only barred for the cup tie so he is eligible.

SquashedFrogg
10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
So Nish wasted his time scoring against ICT because they were going to get relegated, f****** idiot that player. Imagine doing something stupid like that.

No need to pass a comment like give him a 5 year deal, that's why the above reply is just as dodgy.

Check Nish's SPL scoring record and you will see that it isn't bad.

TBH I couldn't really be arsed checking his record. I've sat and watched his record on a more than regular basis for us and that's enough for me.

The five year deal remark was quite obviously a cheap shot but if you read my previous post again you'll see that I do see value in him.

You just made him sound like a regular goal scorer...

18Craig75
10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Just checked the SFA website and Darren was only barred for the cup tie so he is eligible.

Good news!

Smith

McCormack Hogg Murray Hanlon

McBride

Wotherspoon Miller Zemamma

Stokes Riordan

SquashedFrogg
10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd play him. Not half as bad as people on here seem to think, but when he's off form he does tend to have a shocker.

Certainly something different to anything else we have up front.

I agree.

He's certainly something different.

Stokes and Derek for me.

MeAndMyBoys
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
This games huge IMO, but in reality every game is from now until the end of the season. A win on Saturday will see us stretch our points difference to 8 over then, but at the same time if we lose, it'll be down to 2 and they'll get a massive boost from that if that is to happen.
Tannadice is never an easy place to go, but they are definatly there for the taking at the moment during this shakey spell for them without a manager.
I'd play the same team as Saturday, with only the one change coming being Mcbride for Rankin. I dont think Hanlon is quite ready to be playing for our first team yet, the past 3 games he's looked out of place, and quite frankly terrible, Stevenson is poor aswel, so Paul will have to stay put because we dont have much options in defence at the moment.

Just been checking the fixtures ... and by the time we go to ArabLand on Sat...Utd could be only 2 Points behind us. They have a game against Hamilton this mid week. :shocked:

.Sean.
10-01-2010, 09:19 PM
TBH I couldn't really be arsed checking his record. I've sat and watched his record on a more than regular basis for us and that's enough for me.

The five year deal remark was quite obviously a cheap shot but if you read my previous post again you'll see that I do see value in him.

So as he's not a 'regular goalscorer' in your opinion, so shouldn't play?

Gotcha.

scoopyboy
10-01-2010, 09:23 PM

54 goals in 206 SPL appearances, not prolific but reasonable.

However as I stated earlier take away Deeks and Stokes and we are struggling.

Nish's return is not good enough this season (2).

At Tynecastle I thought he helped out the defence quite a bit at set pieces and I thought he might do the same again on Saturday.

basehibby
11-01-2010, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't be tinkering too much if I was Mr Hughes - I would stick with the same defensive line up - simply as it's probably the best at our disposal right now and continuity is always desireable for the back 4.
Big Nish would get a start from me - the Arabs are a big physical side and Nish has proved useful when dropping back to defend set pieces - hopefully he puts on a good attacking display as well - best when played from deep as opposed to target man.
The only change I'd make to the starting line up would be dropping Rankin - who had a bit of a stinker on Sat - in favour of either Cregg or McBride.
I thought Cregg looked good when he came on on Sat so he'd get the nod from me.

The_Horde
11-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't be tinkering too much if I was Mr Hughes - I would stick with the same defensive line up - simply as it's probably the best at our disposal right now and continuity is always desireable for the back 4.
Big Nish would get a start from me - the Arabs are a big physical side and Nish has proved useful when dropping back to defend set pieces - hopefully he puts on a good attacking display as well - best when played from deep as opposed to target man.
The only change I'd make to the starting line up would be dropping Rankin - who had a bit of a stinker on Sat - in favour of either Cregg or McBride.
I thought Cregg looked good when he came on on Sat so he'd get the nod from me.

Ahead of Mcbride? :bitchy:

zlatan
11-01-2010, 01:15 AM
4 points from this and the St Johnstone game 3 days later would seal 3rd place for us, I think I think that anyway.

monktonharp
11-01-2010, 02:01 AM
I thought Cregg looked good when he came on on Sat so he'd get the nod from me.defense,aye probably right.but keep the ba' away fi Hanlon as much as possible.Cregg looked good for the wee bit he was on last week,............Nish,well let's hope he puts in a performance:yawn: I just dont see us getting in about this mob,when it comes to corners etc.s let's hope we can stretch them a bit,with our wingers/come forwards. why do I feel so wary of this partixular game? we should be making it hard for them,but I have a terrible feeling. although I will be there,c'mon the cabbage!

Tollhouse Hibee
11-01-2010, 05:47 AM
defense,aye probably right.but keep the ba' away fi Hanlon as much as possible.Cregg looked good for the wee bit he was on last week,............Nish,well let's hope he puts in a performance:yawn: I just dont see us getting in about this mob,when it comes to corners etc.s let's hope we can stretch them a bit,with our wingers/come forwards. why do I feel so wary of this partixular game? we should be making it hard for them,but I have a terrible feeling. although I will be there,c'mon the cabbage!

our biggest issue at the moment is getting natural width into the game. i have been harping on about this for the last few weeks, and it seems to be every time we get wide and put a decent ball into the box then we score from it. problem is we are only doing it 3 or 4 times in a game.

when zouma is playing, everything is going thru the middle and he is always cutting inside. i think, with the exception of his goal, he did very little on Saturday apart from try to beat 10 players then lose the ball.

we are carrying too many passengers at the moment not willing to work for the good of the team, with a weird shape like no other team on earth.

i think it needs a shake like follows, as spoons is definitely wasted at right back. he definitely is the best crosser of balls we have at the club, apart from Galbraith. maybe if this 2 took corners we may score from one for the first time in ages.

we also need the physical presence from Nish that stokes does not have, and Riordan is out for form but.......

Smith
McCormack Hogg Murray Stevenson
Spoony Miller McBride Galbraith
Nish Riordan

subs

stokes benji thicot hanlon rankin and whoever else.

basehibby
11-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Ahead of Mcbride? :bitchy:

On the basis that he looked sharp and hungry on sat - yes - why not???

PS - nothing against McBride by the way.

nickwhibs
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Good news!

Smith

McCormack Hogg Murray Hanlon

McBride

Wotherspoon Miller Zemamma

Stokes Riordan

That'd be my team too. Strong midfield. Zouma will get more freedom than he has done recently with those other 3 making up the midfield. Also hope Galbraith features at some point.

Phil MaGlass
11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
If we dont buck up a wee bit at the back and midfield I can see a 2-0 win for United

Hibs7
11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
On the basis that he looked sharp and hungry on sat - yes - why not???

PS - nothing against McBride by the way.

All Cregg did was crowd the midfeild, not worth another contract in my opinion.

Lmc2105
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Lets all get behind the Boys!
Big crowd on saturday and cheer the lads onto which i think would go on to be a big stepping stone into geting 3rd Position

The Future Is Green!!!

tony higgins
13-01-2010, 10:31 AM

:top marks