PDA

View Full Version : Excellent article on Old Firm bias in the media

Diclonius
10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/126997-a-blast-at-old-firm-bias-on-bbc-sports-coverage/

:not worth

GloryGlory
10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
:agree::agree: Especially since the weegies are so dilatory at paying the license fee! :wink:

iwasthere1972
10-01-2010, 06:16 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/126997-a-blast-at-old-firm-bias-on-bbc-sports-coverage/

:agree:

It was then Steven from Motherwell. Now, call me naive, but was I being stupid for thinking that he was maybe wanting to talk about the Steelmen? Of course not, Steven from Motherwell was in fact a Celtic “fan”. I must say, it was impressive how quickly Steven got home to Motherwell from the match in Parkhead in time to be the second caller on the show.

How very true. He must be related to Shaun (the sheep) Lawson. :faf:

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 07:08 PM
A very good article. We're entitled to expect more from the BBC. Such a poor show.

givescotlandfreedom
10-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Have a look at today's BBC Scottish Cup photos and ask yourself how many photos are about the Huns and how many are about Hamilton. This backs up the writer and shows the BBC up for what it is http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/8450631.stm

stubru59
10-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Been going on for years.

Don't know what is worst. Them doing it, or all these non weegie based "fans" who give them a reason to do it.

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 08:49 PM
It made for chilling reading, that an institution like the BBC could be so biased towards the OF.

All I can say is, thank god our match officials are beyond reproach.

ballengeich
10-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Bear in mind also that one of the justifications of Your Call is to allow OF supporters to display just how misguided they are. Personally I feel that the licence Jim Traynor gives them is usually just about right. They are humiliated as soon as they reveal themselves as bigots and not merely poor souls in need of education and counselling.

greenlex
10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
An article on STV website slaughtering the BBC. Whatever next?

NAE NOOKIE
10-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Try listening to Radio Borders. Rugby is king down here, though to be fair they do have quite a good show,on Friday I think it is, all about Borders amature football.

It would perhaps bump their ratings a bit if they adopted Hibs and yes even the yams as defacto Borders pro football clubs and gave them a bit more coverage.

Lets face it, if you come from or live in the Borders and are going to follow a pro football club then one of the two Edinburgh clubs should be the natural choice. Or Berwick Rangers I suppose if you really want to suffer.

P.S.

Their updates on the roads and that over the last two weeks have been second to none and should win them an award.

McD
10-01-2010, 11:02 PM
A very well constructed and thoughtful article.

The guy had plenty of evidence to accompany his argument, well done sir.

Unfortunately, he, like us, and every non OF lemming in the country are gonna have to continue to put up with it/not tune in/not buy the papers.

My old man continually gets annoyed by the 'Glasgow sports news' on reporting scotland etc, and Scotland Today on STV is no better.

duncs
10-01-2010, 11:13 PM

Unfortunately, he, like us, and every non OF lemming in the country are gonna have to continue to put up with it/not tune in/not buy the papers.

My old man continually gets annoyed by the 'Glasgow sports news' on reporting scotland etc, and Scotland Today on STV is no better.

That says it all tbh, it's not like STV are offering a viable alternative - the guy, Rahman Barwan (sp?) presents the sport as if he's just learnt to read - it's irrelevant nonsense firmly geared towards the Old Firm, but then tell us something we didn't know.

Incidentally, sitting watching the highlights of Hamilton-Rangers on BBC1, the game itself is exciting, but how the hell on paper was this the tie of the round? Surely, our game was interesting in a historic type of way, but Aberdeen-Hearts was clearly a much better tie.

McD
10-01-2010, 11:33 PM
That says it all tbh, it's not like STV are offering a viable alternative - the guy, Rahman Barwan (sp?) presents the sport as if he's just learnt to read - it's irrelevant nonsense firmly geared towards the Old Firm, but then tell us something we didn't know.

Incidentally, sitting watching the highlights of Hamilton-Rangers on BBC1, the game itself is exciting, but how the hell on paper was this the tie of the round? Surely, our game was interesting in a historic type of way, but Aberdeen-Hearts was clearly a much better tie.

The reason its classed as Tie of the round is coz rangers are in it, no other reason. Yet more lowest-common-denominator pandering to the neanderthals from the West.

Every nite, on both channels, its like a press conference from celtic and rangers. Would also say its similar with jambos, but thats only a single question so shabba, just takes him 14 min to answer.....they only asked him the time lol

ballengeich
10-01-2010, 11:57 PM
The reason its classed as Tie of the round is coz rangers are in it, no other reason.

It was tie of the round. Could the Jambos have come back from 2-0 down?:greengrin

Bishop Hibee
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
It's as rare as hen's teeth for me to watch either Reporting Scotland or Scotland Today and I feel like I'm missing nothing. With the internet and such a wide variety of news outlets, I can pretty much circumvent OF news.

I'm afraid as long as so many "fans" support the OF, much of the media will pander to them.

snooky
11-01-2010, 12:27 AM

Re. the WC bias .....
This New Year there was a programme on telly called (something like) "Scotland's Got Talent" highlighting old Scottish Comedy acts.
IIRC they never mentoned anybody east of the Baillieston interchange.
Apparently nae comedy acts have ever came from the east, north or south of our dear country.
O how we laughed .................................................n ot.

broonie27
11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Try listening to Radio Borders. Rugby is king down here, though to be fair they do have quite a good show,on Friday I think it is, all about Borders amature football.

It would perhaps bump their ratings a bit if they adopted Hibs and yes even the yams as defacto Borders pro football clubs and gave them a bit more coverage.

Lets face it, if you come from or live in the Borders and are going to follow a pro football club then one of the two Edinburgh clubs should be the natural choice. Or Berwick Rangers I suppose if you really want to suffer.

P.S.

Their updates on the roads and that over the last two weeks have been second to none and should win them an award.

you ever considered tuning your radio to another station then? :wink:

broonie27
11-01-2010, 12:49 AM

That's not an excellent article, it's a rant. The fact is there are hundreds of thousands more old-firm fans in Scotland than any other team and their total domination of Scottish football over the last hundred years is simply reflected in the media's coverage. Get over it!

Do you think Wigan get many headlines in the English press, no thought not.

basehibby
11-01-2010, 12:54 AM
The author of the article is spot on - the BBC is persistently robbing true followers of the Scottish game of their license fee by constantly pandering to the lowest possible denominator - ie Rantic/Celgers fans - rather than reporting on the game in Scotland in the balanced way that their licence actually DEMANDS.

The fact that most callers to Traynors crappy Daily ******esque show are Rantic followers is a self fulfilling prophecy - most of the rest of us get so sick of the blatant bias that we switch off.

KerPlunk
11-01-2010, 12:55 AM
I'd always assumed that these radio phone-ins existed because :-

a) They're as cheap as chips to make.

b) It makes Fatty Traynor / Chick Hun / Euan Yam feel mildly important.

c) It lets the rest of the country hear just how backward most of the OF knuckledraggers are.

"Your Call" - namechange to "You're A Bigot"

"Real Radio Phone-In" - "Real Radge Phone-In"

OFGTF

basehibby
11-01-2010, 12:56 AM
That's not an excellent article, it's a rant. The fact is there are hundreds of thousands more old-firm fans in Scotland than any other team and their total domination of Scottish football over the last hundred years is simply reflected in the media's coverage. Get over it!

About half of the active football supporters in Scotland follow the OF - does that mean that this 50% should get 90% of the coverage???

NaeTechnoHibby
11-01-2010, 01:01 AM
This is the same station that started some "football" history thing last week .. begining with Celtc :bitchy:

I never saw it :greengrin

broonie27
11-01-2010, 01:16 AM
About half of the active football supporters in Scotland follow the OF - does that mean that this 50% should get 90% of the coverage???

It's not 90% though. Certainly not on Radio Scotland. I actually listened to Traynor's Saturday show and there were calls from Hearts fans, Killie fans, a very bitter Arab; plenty of non old firm supporters. In fact it was filled with about 50% of old firm fans which by your approximation is about the right level of coverage I would suggest.

Traynor openly admits to commenting on the old-firm all the time as it riles the idiots out of their buckie haze and get folk phoning in.

As for Off the Ball, the two presenters of that programme are so openly old firm haters it's impossible to say there is any pro old firm bias on that broadcast. In fact if any old firm supporting broadcaster showed the level of antipathy towards another team that those two do he'd be hung out to dry. Is that fair?

Mikeystewart
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
"Pragmatic punter said

Who said life was fair?

Lots of people think their little world is unfairly treated!

The point is nobody outside DU fans really wants to here anything about them.

And there's only 24 hours in a day.

My advice is start a programme like say Tayside radio and have a program only about DU! "

I think this guy missed the point most people pay there tv license we are entitled to a fair and levl view of scottish football not about what most people want its about what everyone indivdualy want. Obviously your not going to get exactly the same amount of air time but i agree as a public funded service it should be better.

CheesyHibby
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes STV can also be considered biased but surely this is primarily because they are a COMMERCIAL stn and therefore need to make money, hence extensive coverage of Rangers and Celtic. However, the BBC's 'coverage' is inexcusable. On the radio, all we ever get is Chick Young salivating over Uncle Wattie and its just cringeworthy. In fact, the media coverage in this country does nothing for our image, was anyone listening to the said Chick's interview with Gus MacPherson on sat? Absolute cock-up and amateurish broadcasting. Also the 'open-all-mikes' blatant rip from ssn DOES NOT WORK ON RADIO! The problem, of course, is a commercial broadcaster would simply pander to them even more and it would be even more horrible. Stick to Hibs Interactive. Rant over.

Jack
11-01-2010, 01:43 PM

It’s a vicious circle though, free advertising for the OF, encouraging them not only to take part in the shows but to go along to games or just follow them. What do you think Hibs, or non-OF clubs would have to pay to get anywhere near that amount of advertising to increase the Hibs and other clubs profiles? I’m not suggesting equal coverage would mean equal gates but …

Another similar thing struck me recently but I’m not sure how to work it out.

How often are OF home games (other than the bigot fest they call derbies) on the telly? I honestly cant think of any this season, were there any last season?

How often are the OF not represented in the weekly live broadcast? I can only think of once this season, the yams against St Midden or Hamilton. And mind when we played the yams the bigot fest had already been shown earlier in the day, so that doesn’t count.

This doesn’t just mean that they get more coverage but the home clubs; get lower gates while OF home gates are maximised; early kick offs mean reduced income for local businesses, no business in the case of pubs and BTG on a Sunday; less for the bigot fans to shell out ‘following’ their team compared to the likes of us.

The whole Scottish media thing is more about reinforcing the OF position as about reporting what's happening in football – and the OF makes sure that’s the way it stays.

Rory89
11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't remember this far back myself, but a jambo friend of mine was telling me about the Sportscene programme after the 4-4 Edinburgh derby. Second biggest fixture in Scottish football, and possibly the most entertaining (for the neutral anyway) game in the history of the Edinburgh derby. Just as the programme starts:

"Rangers travelled to Dundee United blah blah ****ing blah". :confused:

fiolex1
11-01-2010, 07:18 PM
And again tonight on STV a bit on Bougherra in the African nations cup, it mentioned he was at fault for one of the goals, and guess what no mention of our player who played today

McD
11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
It was tie of the round. Could the Jambos have come back from 2-0 down?:greengrin

They struggle to come back from a 1-0 lead lol :greengrin

Hibs Spain
11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
It made for chilling reading, that an institution like the BBC could be so biased towards the OF.

All I can say is, thank god our match officials are beyond reproach.

Don't know if you heard the ex English ref Poll? On talksport today but he was effectively saying that it was extremely difficult not to be affected by big home crowds.Hamilton v Huns....At 3-3 commentator said something ..It'll be interesting to see what Rangers can do to go on and win this...At 3-3 why didn't he say it in reverse? What chance have we got? It's an inherent and inbred,maybe even subconcious malaise!

snooky
11-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Don't know if you heard the ex English ref Poll? On talksport today but he was effectively saying that it was extremely difficult not to be affected by big home crowds.Hamilton v Huns....At 3-3 commentator said something ..It'll be interesting to see what Rangers can do to go on and win this...At 3-3 why didn't he say it in reverse? What chance have we got? It's an inherent and inbred,maybe even subconcious malaise!

I have probably posted this before however, I recall a Rangers v St Midden game that ended 5-1. All Rangers' goals were described as "fantastic, superb, etc." while the Saints' goal was described by the commentator as "down to poor defending". :grr:
That says it all, for ever and ever, amen. :boo hoo:

Hibs Spain
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I have probably posted this before however, I recall a Rangers v St Midden game that ended 5-1. All Rangers' goals were described as "fantastic, superb, etc." while the St Mirren's goal was described by the commentator as "down to poor defending". :grr:
That says it all, forever and ever, amen. :boo hoo:

BBC news.... Over to London..Over to Cardiff...Over to Belfast ...And in the Scottish parliament in the capital..As the presenter sits in the Glasgow studio with the river Clyde in the background!! ..I suppose we'll have to get a camera over there to see what they're up to.A mirror image of what hapens in football:bitchy: