PDA

View Full Version : Jim McArthur and Royal High School, mid to late 1970s

drtony
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
A month or so back I read a couple of comments about Jim McArthur at Royal High School, and Maud the headmistress c.1978. I was young, but remember P.E. classes, and games of football with Jim McArthur, and endless games with tennis balls in the breaks we got akin to Ron Manager's takes on the game. In those days there were "football cards" which came with naff gum, but most pals collected Hibs players, and tried, usually vainly, to swap a Hearts, Motherwell player for one.
I think I remember some other teachers -Mr Noterangelo, Ms Alexander, Ms Sturgeon, Ms Caldwell etc.etc....and waving to Des Bremner from the bus after another swimming lesson at the Commonwealth pool, and the shock, horror of Pat Stanton leaving Hibs for Celtic.
Just memories, but thanks for rekindling them.

DroitwichHibs
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Went to Royal High from 71-76. Maud I think was Maud Robertson. Not much football played when I was there though, and the Jim McArthur thing must have come after I had left. Definately recall Mr Notorangelo, who was my teacher in primary 6 & 7!! My school report read from him....' If he spent less time staring out the window thinking about Hibs, then he might get on better!!!:bitchy:

mim
10-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Ah, the memories.
I was at the old Royal High School on Regent Road - about a hundred or so years ago. :boo hoo:

p=sh
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Ah, the memories.
I was at the old Royal High School on Regent Road - about a hundred or so years ago. :boo hoo:

I was at the primary school at Jocks Lodge and we used to go to the big school for swimming.

I still remember seeing something painted or chalked on a wall : Peter Cormack is a poof.
I knew who Peter Cormack was but I was only about 8 so had to ask what a Poof was.

Memories right enough, Mike.

jdships
10-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Ah, the memories.

Me likewise also, even longer ago :boo hoo::boo hoo:

flash
10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Those were the days. I was there between 72 and 79 and remember all the teachers mentioned. My sister was in the year after me which was the first to have girls in it.

Hibs Class
10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I started there in 1978 - I remember two contrasting PE teachers; Hooky Hall, (hooky because of his nose) who was nearing retirement but wore the same tracksuit I suspect he started his career in, and Colin Thomson, who had a modern shiny tracksuit with ankle zips (naturally, always open), a bushy perm and tache to match, and drove a TR7.

Hibby Bairn
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I started there in 1978 - I remember two contrasting PE teachers; Hooky Hall, (hooky because of his nose) who was nearing retirement but wore the same tracksuit I suspect he started his career in, and Colin Thomson, who had a modern shiny tracksuit with ankle zips (naturally, always open), a bushy perm and tache to match, and drove a TR7.

That was the Royal HIGH School...as opposed to the primary version which is what the OP is talking about I think.

Went to the High School version from 79-84 and Hall and Thomson were there. Latter had a fling with a 6th year pupil later on I believe. :greengrin

vla_di_vla
10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Those were the days. I was there between 72 and 79 and remember all the teachers mentioned. My sister was in the year after me which was the first to have girls in it.

I was there same time. Seem to remember we eventually got a team organised in P7 - Royal High Rovers but we had to play in our thick rugby strips!

gringojoe
10-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I was there 75-76 Mrs Bruce and Mr Notarenglo, were my teachers. No football team only rugby. Don't remember Jim McArthur as PE teacher though, PE seemed to consist of running round Jocks Lodge playing fields in the snow.

MeAndMyBoys
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Also have great memories of PE lessons on the red shale pitch with Jim McArthur at Towerbank... most often in the cold driving rain straight off the sea... :boo hoo:

My boys now don't believe that I had a footballer as a Gym Teacher... especially since i'm nae good at the game.!.!. :faf:

New Corrie
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Norman Notarangelo was my teacher at Royal High, he was a great guy, don't remember Jim McArthur being anywhere near the place, but I do remember Maud Robertson (how could anyone forget) Changed days, I used to travel everyday from Corstorphine to Jocks Lodge to attend

New Corrie
10-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Went to Royal High from 71-76. Maud I think was Maud Robertson. Not much football played when I was there though, and the Jim McArthur thing must have come after I had left. Definately recall Mr Notorangelo, who was my teacher in primary 6 & 7!! My school report read from him....' If he spent less time staring out the window thinking about Hibs, then he might get on better!!!:bitchy:

I reckon you would have been in the same class as me

CropleyWasGod
10-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Mrs. Robertson (would never have dreamed of calling her Maud!!) was my teacher in P4 and 5 "sometime in the 60's".

She had some belt on her.....

pedroorange1875
10-01-2010, 10:28 PM
took many a P.E class of mine, fine mouser in those days

oldbutdim
10-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Does anyone remember Badger?
And his "slipper"?......... no don't ask.

I recall playing basketball with the sweaty old codger (not instead of the ball, he insisted on playing in the other team) and desperately keeping out his way so that I wouldn't be drenched in his spray of perspiration. I've never seen anyone who could sweat as much as that and not just shrivel, die, and combust.

Anyway, I managed to keep mostly dry..... then a varicose vein in his leg popped and I happned to be nearby........

****in hell........ I've suppressed that memory for decades.
Thanks very much Opening Poster.

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM

I recall playing basketball with the sweaty old codger (not instead of the ball, he insisted on playing in the other team) and desperately keeping out his way so that I wouldn't be drenched in his spray of perspiration. I've never seen anyone who could sweat as much as that and not just shrivel, die, and combust.

Anyway, I managed to keep mostly dry..... then a varicose vein in his leg popped and I happned to be nearby........

I see him often in Trinity. He is in his mid-eighties, and very sprightly; he still goes to the gym. The humbling thing is that, after 30 years, he still remembered me.

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Hook Hall died last year

TornadoHibby
11-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I see him often in Trinity. He is in his mid-eighties, and very sprightly; he still goes to the gym. The humbling thing is that, after 30 years, he still remembered me.

I was at the RHS for the last year at Calton Hill (Regent Road actually :wink:!) and thereafter at Barnton. The old school was much more interesting than the concrete and glass new one but progress dictates change these days. :agree:

My maths teacher was Iain Dingwall, a huge Hibby, and I often see him at games and amazingly, although I still recognise him, he too still recognises me! :wink:

:cool2:

Hibs07p
11-01-2010, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=oldbutdim;2305338]Does anyone remember Badger?

Is he now known as Macar?

SkyeHibs
11-01-2010, 10:40 AM

I remember feeling the force of badgers slipper one morning as I had forgotten to bring in my Latin homework.

Good to read that so many RHS oldtimers are Hibees. When I was there (73-79) we were pretty thin on the ground.

Malthibby
11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Long suppressed memories being awoken by this thread, particularly Badger & his slipper; don't know why he preferred putting boys over his knee & slippering rather than just belting the s - - t out of us like the rest of them.
There for the last year afore the girlies arrived, & footie was just getting its toe in the door.
Now work beside another ex-RH from the same era, but have to admit I didn't like school much.
GG

Gregor
11-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I was at the primary school at Jocks Lodge and we used to go to the big school for swimming.

I still remember seeing something painted or chalked on a wall : Peter Cormack is a poof.
I knew who Peter Cormack was but I was only about 8 so had to ask what a Poof was.

Memories right enough, Mike.

Was Northfield Broadway rather than Jock's Lodge, Pete. I remember Fattie Robertson coming to RHPS after some jambo laddie rescued another boy who fell into the figgy after it froze over. Scott Crabbe (mebbes?) and some other laddie took a coaching session as well. Despite knowing nothing about football in general, I remember even then having an real dislike for all things maroon.

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Was Northfield Broadway rather than Jock's Lodge, Pete. I remember Fattie Robertson coming to RHPS after some jambo laddie rescued another boy who fell into the figgy after it froze over. Scott Crabbe (mebbes?) and some other laddie took a coaching session as well. Despite knowing nothing about football in general, I remember even then having an real dislike for all things maroon.

To those of us of a certain age, it will always be Jock's Lodge. Was a crime when they took the devil's shilling from Safeway.

p=sh
11-01-2010, 12:32 PM

I do remember badger but unfortunately our class got taught by the other Latin teacher whose name temporarily escapes me. He was a scary wee man and taught by fear. When he left the room he'd come back in and asked who had talked while he was gone. His interrogation techniques were so great that within 5 minutes half the class had admitted to talking even Geoff the class mute.

?John Scott? rings a bell?

I do remember Hooky Hall and in the 6 years I was at Barnton I think he maybe owned 2 tracksuits at the most.

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I do remember badger but unfortunately our class got taught by the other Latin teacher whose name temporarily escapes me. He was a scary wee man and taught by fear. When he left the room he'd come back in and asked who had talked while he was gone. His interrogation techniques were so great that within 5 minutes half the class had admitted to talking even Geoff the class mute.

?John Scott? rings a bell?

I do remember Hooky Hall and in the 6 years I was at Barnton I think he maybe owned 2 tracksuits at the most.

Fred Scott

p=sh
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
My maths teacher was Iain Dingwall, a huge Hibby,
:cool2:

remember him, didn't he used to spray when he talked? Didn't realise he was a Hibby although I can see how he'd keep that quiet since a lot of the traditions were rugby-based.

there was another Maths teacher - Kersiter I think - who didn't use a slipper but would whack your bottom with the big wooden set-square.
Probably the reason I'm heavily into S&M nowadays ;-)

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 12:38 PM
remember him, didn't he used to spray when he talked? Didn't realise he was a Hibby although I can see how he'd keep that quiet since a lot of the traditions were rugby-based.

there was another Maths teacher - Kersiter I think - who didn't use a slipper but would whack your bottom with the big wooden set-square.

Cursiter, yup. Was a vicious sod.

His mother, though, was the opposite. Couldn't control squat. Was another Latin teacher.

p=sh
11-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Fred Scott

Of course! Thanks for that how could I forget that.

Remember the geography teacher who had that unusual chin-stretching facial tick?
And Von Gripe (can't remember his real name) who taught Chemistry?

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Of course! Thanks for that how could I forget that.

Remember the geography teacher who had that unusual chin-stretching facial tick?
And Von Gripe (can't remember his real name) who taught Chemistry?

Weed Graham.... was my form master.

Von Gripe... Smith?

p=sh
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM

you're good.

Von Gripe... Smith?

very good in fact.

If you remember the name of the History teacher who got fired (allegedly) for giving out a "cock-sock" knitting pattern at the "New Club" then I'll start to suspect you are in fact one of my schizophrenic personalities...

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
you're good.

very good in fact.

If you remember the name of the History teacher who got fired (allegedly) for giving out a "cock-sock" knitting pattern at the "New Club" then I'll start to suspect you are in fact one of my schizophrenic personalities...

Um... I have no clue on that one... perhaps just as well. I do remember a History teacher who died, possibly by his own hand. But feel free to share....

Viva_Palmeiras
11-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Me likewise also, even longer ago :boo hoo::boo hoo:

Was going to PM you but you don't appear to have that set up - I wonder if you knew Andrew (drew) Tully would be the right era at "The High School".

Mickey Edwards
11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
big up the scholars and paggers up the rocks, as it were

1875godsgift
11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Think i must have been there the same time!

1875godsgift
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
A month or so back I read a couple of comments about Jim McArthur at Royal High School, and Maud the headmistress c.1978. I was young, but remember P.E. classes, and games of football with Jim McArthur, and endless games with tennis balls in the breaks we got akin to Ron Manager's takes on the game. In those days there were "football cards" which came with naff gum, but most pals collected Hibs players, and tried, usually vainly, to swap a Hearts, Motherwell player for one.
I think I remember some other teachers -Mr Noterangelo, Ms Alexander, Ms Sturgeon, Ms Caldwell etc.etc....and waving to Des Bremner from the bus after another swimming lesson at the Commonwealth pool, and the shock, horror of Pat Stanton leaving Hibs for Celtic.

We had ms Christopher, i remember her belt had 3 straps instead of the normal 2!

Gregor
11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
To those of us of a certain age, it will always be Jock's Lodge. Was a crime when they took the devil's shilling from Safeway.

I was there when we still had the (chuffing vast to a wee bairn) playing fields and the *coughs* grandstand, but always knew it as Northfield Broadway. I know you could reach it fi Jock's Lodge, but you had to fault the gate to get in from from fields, or risk a spike up the jacksie.

Barely a week went by without corridor to the music room being flooded and Mr Brown the janny having to unclogg the sinks full of bog paper.

flash
11-01-2010, 02:03 PM
We had ms Christopher, i remember her belt had 3 straps instead of the normal 2!

Ah a class mate. Just got to work out who you are now!!

1875godsgift
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Ah a class mate. Just got to work out who you are now!!

Maybe its my age but i can barely remember any names from then! This thread has dredged up some old memories though, did our janny have the unfortunate name Mr Flucker?!

lapsedhibee
11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Jeez, this board is absolutely hoaching with RightHandSidies. Isn't it time you formed your own clique, or brigade? :dunno:

p=sh
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Jeez, this board is absolutely hoaching with RightHandSidies. Isn't it time you formed your own clique, or brigade? :dunno:

valid point it is moving away slightly from discussions about Hibs or even fitba.

TornadoHibby
11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Fred Scott

:shocked:

Wow! That name filled me with dread just then!:shocked:

I remember being in a Latin class at Barnton and Fred, who was quite a weedy, bespectacled and very thin wee guy, took the hump at the big guy (Gaz McLay in case anyone might know him for "verification" purposes) who sat in front of me in that class as his hair was "too long" i.e., "sidelappers" below the point of the cheek bone! Now Gaz had been asked to get his hair cut by Fred the previous week and had not done so! :shocked:

Fred took him by the lobe of his right ear and made him stand up, Gaz towering above him, before marching him out to his desk where he ........:shocked: ....... produced a set of scissors and ......... .:shocked:........... cut Gaz's "sidelappers" up to "regulation length" advising him never to test him ever again as next time "it would be much worse"! :agree:

No-one stepped out of line in wee Fred's class I can tell you and that went for even the toughest of the top rugby players at the school in those days! :agree: :greengrin

TornadoHibby
11-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Um... I have no clue on that one... perhaps just as well. I do remember a History teacher who died, possibly by his own hand. But feel free to share....

You not thinking of a certain "technical" Dept teacher who was "involved" wi one of the dinner ladies until "found out"!?? :wink:

Actually found her attractive in an unusual kind of way myself as she was a good bit older obviously! :cool2:

Craigyno1
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Also have great memories of PE lessons on the red shale pitch with Jim McArthur at Towerbank... most often in the cold driving rain straight off the sea... :boo hoo:

My boys now don't believe that I had a footballer as a Gym Teacher... especially since i'm nae good at the game.!.!. :faf:

Still got my autograph book from the early 80s that Jim took into Easter Rd to get all the Hibs Players to sign!

You weren't very good at tennis either!! :duck:

p=sh
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
You not thinking of a certain "technical" Dept teacher who was "involved" wi one of the dinner ladies until "found out"!?? :wink:

Actually found her attractive in an unusual kind of way myself as she was a good bit older obviously! :cool2:

The dinner ladies were a complete laugh, I always remember the one that gave out the spaghetti "want spaghetti, son?" she looked just like one of the Monty Python guys dressed up as a woman. Hope that's not the one you had a fancy for?

New Corrie
11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Dan Cersiter....total b****d.....he was just a bully, looking back on it all now, I was puffed out getting belted and caned at RHS.

drtony
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow! Lots of memories of the Primary School come back. The Hibs connection was that it was there that I became a Hibs fan - something which has stuck all my life thereafter.Maybe it was seeing the concrete terrace from the bus tops, and the crow it T.V. rig on top of it, or maybe it was Jim McArthur asking us to take penalties against him and treating us to a football game with a proper ball on the grass.
I remember the rugby tops -black and black/white hoops, and the gym reference and basketball revived some long dead memories.
The tennis ball games of football in the play ground with classmates - hmm - tghe best player in the class was Craig Daniel - a Hearts fan, but others included David Scott, Angelo Dicotano, and Craig Nelson. Most were Hibs fans, with occasional Hearts fans, Stephen Kay, who had a relative who played for Hearts, and Craig Marshall -the lone Rangers fan.
I do not think any of the class went on to play for Hibs, but Mr MaArthur, the ground, and hearing stories from those who went to games, encouraged support for the team and area.
As for punishments - I remember being belted once by Ms Sturgeon for calling a potato a spud. Mr Noterangelo gave the hardest belt but I never got on his wring side. He would make us laugh with jokes..like finish the sentence, "I think Hearts are....".
Miss Christopher I remember...and could believe she had a three pronged belt. Was she not in a store room with Mr M. one day and got a reddie when discovered? I cannot recall.
Thanks for the memories, and starting me on my road to Easter Road

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe its my age but i can barely remember any names from then! This thread has dredged up some old memories though, did our janny have the unfortunate name Mr Flucker?!

He did. He worked on the trawlers with my Granda. (born in 1905, so never saw us win the Cup either!).

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Nah... didn't know that one.

This was definitely a History guy. Boag-Henderson?

DroitwichHibs
11-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I reckon you would have been in the same class as me

I think I know who you are?:notworthy:

mim
11-01-2010, 06:35 PM

'Badger' was Jock Dewar.
He and Fred Scott were my Latin teachers in the Regent Road days.
Badger lived in Inverkeithing at that time.

New Corrie
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I think I know who you are?:notworthy:

Sounds like the same class. I left in 1976 mate. Great school apart from the wee bottles of warm curdled milk, cold custard and constant thrashings with a belt. Not sure which one of the three I disliked the most.

So what was everyone? I was a Pict.

jdships
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM

:top marks
From 1937 to 1949 never heard referred to as anything alse but "Jock's Lodge "

:thumbsup:

DroitwichHibs
11-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Sounds like the same class. I left in 1976 mate. Great school apart from the wee bottles of warm curdled milk, cold custard and constant thrashings with a belt. Not sure which one of the three I disliked the most.

I was a Scot- Green badge:wink: What colour was the Pict one?:rolleyes:

HibsNibs
11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I was an Angle (IIRC) - light blue badge.
Who remembers 'Wee Mac' & 'Tits Gray' ?

New Corrie
11-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I was a Scot- Green badge:wink: What colour was the Pict one?:rolleyes:

Red.....Picts rule ya bass!:greengrin

Hibs Class
11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
'Badger' was Jock Dewar.
He and Fred Scott were my Latin teachers in the Regent Road days.
Badger lived in Inverkeithing at that time.

For all that Badger's preferred sport was rugby, he spent every afternoon after school in the Summer term refereeing football matches between form groups - you usually got 3-4 matches per class each year. He also kept a selection of empty wine bottles in his cupboards and used to educate pupils on selcting wines.

p=sh
11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Nah... didn't know that one.

This was definitely a History guy. Boag-Henderson?

Yip, that was the fellow.

mim
11-01-2010, 09:12 PM
For all that Badger's preferred sport was rugby, he spent every afternoon after school in the Summer term refereeing football matches between form groups - you usually got 3-4 matches per class each year. He also kept a selection of empty wine bottles in his cupboards and used to educate pupils on selcting wines.

Yes, indeed.
He was also very keen on classical music and had a fantastic collection of LPs - don't know if he moved into the CD era or not. :wink:

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Yip, that was the fellow.

Reckon you must have been a year or two ahead of me. Who was school captain in your year?

CropleyWasGod
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Yer never 45 though :wink:

New Corrie
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Yer never 45 though :wink:

:tee hee:

Flemington hibb
11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I went to the Primary school too for my last 2 years of primary , (81 - 82 or something) and HATED the ****in place! Probably had a lot to do with my then teacher Mrs Boobis. the only saving graces were Mrs Sturgeon who started my love of Scottish history after she used to take us for an hour a week. These were the days when Scottish history was not taught as part of the curiculum so I recon she did it in her own time god bless her!
Remeber Jim McArthur too, he got me into the Hibs. Gave us free tickets to see Hibs v Dundee replay on a snowy Wedneday night.

MH

SkyeHibs
11-01-2010, 09:55 PM

He tried to teach us geography. Must be a candidate for the worst teacher of the universe. Wee mac was not much better but at least he was entertaining.

SkyeHibs
11-01-2010, 09:57 PM

It was dead easy to get him to talk about wine, italy , the war etc and get him off the job in hand, trying to teach us latin.:faf:

London Hibs FC
12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
When you think that Mr. McArthur held down two jobs and still took the bus into work, (my Mum had to drive him up to hospital when his wife had his first child as he didn’t have transport) it puts the salaries that Hibs players received at that time into a fair bit of perspective.
Mr. Noterangelo and Mr. Rouse were the P7 Teachers when I left in 1983 who, like Mr. McArthur, were exceptional teachers and really lovely guys.
Anybody on here from around that time?

Flemington hibb
12-01-2010, 04:33 AM
London Hibs,

did you have the likes of Keith Kelly in your class?

MH

flash
12-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Wow! Lots of memories of the Primary School come back. The Hibs connection was that it was there that I became a Hibs fan - something which has stuck all my life thereafter.Maybe it was seeing the concrete terrace from the bus tops, and the crow it T.V. rig on top of it, or maybe it was Jim McArthur asking us to take penalties against him and treating us to a football game with a proper ball on the grass.
I remember the rugby tops -black and black/white hoops, and the gym reference and basketball revived some long dead memories.
The tennis ball games of football in the play ground with classmates - hmm - tghe best player in the class was Craig Daniel - a Hearts fan, but others included David Scott, Angelo Dicotano, and Craig Nelson. Most were Hibs fans, with occasional Hearts fans, Stephen Kay, who had a relative who played for Hearts, and Craig Marshall -the lone Rangers fan.
I do not think any of the class went on to play for Hibs, but Mr MaArthur, the ground, and hearing stories from those who went to games, encouraged support for the team and area.
As for punishments - I remember being belted once by Ms Sturgeon for calling a potato a spud. Mr Noterangelo gave the hardest belt but I never got on his wring side. He would make us laugh with jokes..like finish the sentence, "I think Hearts are....".
Miss Christopher I remember...and could believe she had a three pronged belt. Was she not in a store room with Mr M. one day and got a reddie when discovered? I cannot recall.
Thanks for the memories, and starting me on my road to Easter Road

Aye i was in the other class from Daniel and Alfonso- i was in with marshall, wardy and that lot. we were comfortably second best in the playground takeons!

p=sh
12-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Reckon you must have been a year or two ahead of me. Who was school captain in your year?

Gordon Cairns. {Shoulda been Alan Boyd, though}.
I was there from Sep 69 till May 75 (6th year).

Our regi teacher was ?Jimmie? Dignan.

p=sh
12-01-2010, 07:28 AM
It was dead easy to get him to talk about wine, italy , the war etc and get him off the job in hand, trying to teach us latin.:faf:

I mind that. a lot of my mates had Badger for Latin (in fact I think the was their regi teacher) and they often told of Badger's wanderings during Latin classes. We on the other hand had fred scott so it was strictly Latin from the moment the bell rang. Interrupted bythe occasional belting when one forgot the passive gerund third person plural of "appropinquare".

Joy Zipper
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM

I was there for Primary 7 (about 1982-1983) and Jim McArthur was my PE teacher. He used to give away tickets for the matches.

My teacher was called Miss Boobis (no joke !).

vla_di_vla
12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Aye i was in the other class from Daniel and Alfonso- i was in with marshall, wardy and that lot. we were comfortably second best in the playground takeons!

Ha ha. Remember it well. Didn't lose very often. We had to do something to stay warm in our shorts. IIRC it was only p7s who could wear long trousers!

drtony
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I think a dark blue badge was for Britons.I was a Pict.I remember Mrs Chrichton in early Primary classes.By P6 there was a young blonde teacher whose name escapes me now.I remember Stephen Ward and a lad who always jumped off the top diving board of the Commy Pool at the end of swimming lessons.Back to school in a bus and play epic games of football in the huge yard and pretending to be a Hibs player

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
:tee hee:

Now wondering if I was in your year. Who was school captain in your year?

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Gordon Cairns. {Shoulda been Alan Boyd, though}.
I was there from Sep 69 till May 75 (6th year).

Our regi teacher was ?Jimmie? Dignan.

You were the year ahead of me, then. I was a prefect in 5th year, "under" Gordon.

Big_G
12-01-2010, 09:27 AM
This thread is bringing back many memories (some are even happy ones).
Was at RHS at Barnton from 1969 -75(Northfield before that)
I was in "Badger's" form class and well remember the slipper! (and a blackboard duster being thrown around)
Also remember John Murray, the music teacher, a Liverpudlian who was more into rugby than football.
Those were good times to be a Hibee - League Cup, Dryburgh Cups, European Nights, 5 goals down the slope, 7-0 1/1/73 - Happy Days :thumbsup:

Flemington hibb
12-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Joy zipper, you must have been in my class. Did you have Andy Mclean, stuart mcmahon and garry (pogo) paterson with you?

London Hibs FC
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
London Hibs,

did you have the likes of Keith Kelly in your class?

MH

Did indeed, lovely Guy!

New Corrie
12-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Now wondering if I was in your year. Who was school captain in your year?

I am not sure Crops, it certainly wasn't me was school captain:wink: Our class had Iain Glass (whose Dad Jim, was a big Hibs 50 club man) in those days. He sometimes picked us up in his Jensen and took us round to ER.

Hibby Bairn
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I am not sure Crops, it certainly wasn't me was school captain:wink: Our class had Iain Glass (whose Dad Jim, was a big Hibs 50 club man) in those days. He sometimes picked us up in his Jensen and took us round to ER.

Hope he was disclosured checked :rolleyes:.

Hibs Class
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
I was in "Badger's" form class and well remember the slipper! (and a blackboard duster being thrown around)
Also remember John Murray, the music teacher, a Liverpudlian who was more into rugby than football.
Those were good times to be a Hibee - League Cup, Dryburgh Cups, European Nights, 5 goals down the slope, 7-0 1/1/73 - Happy Days :thumbsup:

He was about six foot twelve and drove to school in a Fiat matchbox

jdships
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
It was either 1946 or 7 when four of us "kipped" school ( Regent Road) on a Wednesday afternoon to see Hibs V Airdrie at ER in a League Cup Tie .
Next day we got "the belt" plus ONE THOUSAND lines - "I must not leave school without permission "
Worth it though - Hibs won !!!!
"Bimbo" the Janny had seen us heading down Regent Road and "shopped" us

:greengrin

New Corrie
12-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Hope he was disclosured checked :rolleyes:.

Not in those days TH, spent all day getting caned and belted, then picked up by a man in a Jensen!...Aaaahhhh!....those were the days:wink:

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Not in those days TH, spent all day getting caned and belted, then picked up by a man in a Jensen!...Aaaahhhh!....those were the days:wink:

hmm.... caned and belted, not School Captain...I bet you were one of the smokers up the rocks an all?? :wink:

New Corrie
12-01-2010, 09:00 PM
hmm.... caned and belted, not School Captain...I bet you were one of the smokers up the rocks an all?? :wink:

You're not wrong Crops!

oldbutdim
12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

I was one of 'em.

There was a classic episode when some redtop sent a photographer round to take snaps of the ne'er do wells having a wee smoke and then published a story about it being reefers being puffed.

Fat chance - it was "singles" purchased from the Corner Cafe.

:rolleyes:

Made a good story and caused all sorts of consternation.

CropleyWasGod
12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
You're not wrong Crops!

lol.. I was probably one of the Stormtroopers sent up there to chase you. I was such a good boy.

Joy Zipper
13-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Joy zipper, you must have been in my class. Did you have Andy Mclean, stuart mcmahon and garry (pogo) paterson with you?

Sure did. I can remember Stuart McMahon and Gary paterson, but not Andy McLean. Long time ago. I'm Fraser Smith.

CropleyWasGod
13-01-2010, 08:21 AM
I was one of 'em.

There was a classic episode when some redtop sent a photographer round to take snaps of the ne'er do wells having a wee smoke and then published a story about it being reefers being puffed.

Fat chance - it was "singles" purchased from the Corner Cafe.

:rolleyes:

Made a good story and caused all sorts of consternation.

The Corner Caff. Ahhhh. Mind the two sisters who ran it? They were like extras from a Hammer film.

Flemington hibb
13-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Fraser Smith me old china! Its Garry Paterson here. Think you were in my class twice, did you not go to Leith Academy also? How's life treating ye?

ehf
13-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Music teacher's pushing it a bit: he just let us bring in our own records to play and disappeared to the staff room for the entire period :greengrin

ehf
13-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I was an Angle (IIRC) - light blue badge.
Who remembers 'Wee Mac' & 'Tits Gray' ?

Who could forget "Tits Gray". And "Rock Hard Nipples" Cormack. And what about Miss Bryden:drool:

Joy Zipper
14-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Fraser Smith me old china! Its Garry Paterson here. Think you were in my class twice, did you not go to Leith Academy also? How's life treating ye?

Ah Gary, I'm good thanks, yes Leith Academy P1-P6, Royal High P7. I'm still living in Edinburgh and trying (pretty unsuccessfully as we have a 6 month old baby) to get along to Easter Road.

CropleyWasGod
14-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Who could forget "Tits Gray". And "Rock Hard Nipples" Cormack. And what about Miss Bryden:drool:

Elspeth Cormack had a "thing" with one of my classmates.

solly
14-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Elspeth Cormack had a "thing" with one of my classmates, which continued long after he left the school. Since this is an internet board, I can say these things without fear of legal action :devil:
Sorry you are wrong the very least that can happen is you can be banned from this board with legal action to follow if some-one wishes to do so.

CropleyWasGod
14-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Sorry you are wrong the very least that can happen is you can be banned from this board with legal action to follow if some-one wishes to do so.

1. I know the rules on defamation. Hence the devil smiley.

2. one can't be defamed if it's true.

3. welcome to the board. Nice first post.

solly
14-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Posting in a forum does not relieve from the threat of liability. For better or worse, you can still be sued for anything from character assassination to invasion of privacy to...well, anything that you can be sued for in the brick and mortar world. Laws in the physical world apply to the virtual world as well.
Ah, but what about anonymity? Well, you leave a trail when you post online. Many people assume that they will be okay as long as they don't put their true name, address and whatever on the forum profile. Wrong. A company will sue the forum for your IP information. It is recorded when you sign up. They will then track backwards to the company controlling said IP and get a court order forcing the company to reveal who has the account.

CropleyWasGod
14-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Posting in a forum does not relieve from the threat of liability. For better or worse, you can still be sued for anything from character assassination to invasion of privacy to...well, anything that you can be sued for in the brick and mortar world. Laws in the physical world apply to the virtual world as well.
Ah, but what about anonymity? Well, you leave a trail when you post online. Many people assume that they will be okay as long as they don't put their true name, address and whatever on the forum profile. Wrong. A company will sue the forum for your IP information. It is recorded when you sign up. They will then track backwards to the company controlling said IP and get a court order forcing the company to reveal who has the account.

I, and the many posters who have been posting on here for years, know all this. I am quite happy to rely on what the great Jonathan Aitken called "the simple sword of truth".

lapsedhibee
14-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I, and the many posters who have been posting on here for years, know all this. I am quite happy to rely on what the great Jonathan Aitken called "the simple sword of truth".

What about the trusty shield of British fair play? :grr: