PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Mixu for the Arabs

Part/Time Supporter
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Mixu Paatelainen has emerged as a strong candidate for the manager's post at Dundee United. (News of the World)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8450521.stm

:faf:

sambajustice
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
They be crazy foo's if the take him!

Toaods
10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I hope he doesn't get the job as I could see him doing well there.

The current squad they have are in the mould that would suit the type of game he prefers his team to play and maybe he has had a bit of time to reflect on his errors at ER.

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Top six though.

cockneymike
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM

The current squad they have are in the mould that would suit the type of game he prefers his team to play and maybe he has had a bit of time to reflect on his errors at ER.

:agree: Totally agree, and supporters that have gotten used to watching Levein's team, would be perfectly happy to watch a Mixu one!

Part/Time Supporter
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I can't fathom why they would appoint Mixu, when Jimmy Calderwood is still unemployed.

Barney McGrew
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I can't fathom why they would appoint Mixu, when Jimmy Calderwood is still unemployed.

He'd clash with their strips

NOLA
10-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Cheap option.

Jack
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
On the same page

Plymouth striker Steve McLean, a loan target for Aberdeen and Hearts, could win a permanent deal at Falkirk. (News of the World)

Aberdeen and the Yams out financed by Falkirk :faf:

Dr What If?
10-01-2010, 01:03 PM
This actually caught my eye...
Plymouth striker Steve McLean, a loan target for Aberdeen and Hearts, could win a permanent deal at Falkirk. (News of the World)
Two giants of the Scottish game loosing out to Falkirk!!!! If that comes true that would be a real statement about our fellow EUFA challangers,

Billychaotic182
10-01-2010, 01:21 PM
The only reason i would want mixu to get that job would be to give him a nice wee cheer when we play utd

sambajustice
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
The only reason i would want mixu to get that job would be to give him a nice wee cheer when we play utd

What? A "cheers for the 3pts Mixup!" ??

bighairyfaeleith
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
If mixu gets it then best of luck ti him, it didn't work out for him as manager at hibs but he's still a nice fella who overall has done more good for hibs than bad.

Remember him as a player, 6-2 anyone?

He re-signed Murray and Riordan as well, didn't know what to do with them but we still have them now and thats what matters.

Best of luck mixu

euro Hibby
10-01-2010, 02:40 PM
and brought bamba to the club !

bighairyfaeleith
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM

good point well made

iwasthere1972
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
If he get the job then I wish him all the best. :fibber:

Billy Whizz
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8450521.stm

He's an old pal of Stephen Thompson so don't be surprised if this happens!

Calvin
10-01-2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/668573/The-Finn-is-in-line-to-become-the-new-manager-at-Tannadice.html

Nothing solid there of course.

I think DUFC could do worse.

500miles
10-01-2010, 02:59 PM
He's been away watching other teams training and talking to other coaches, learning more about his craft, and will have to put it into practice at some point. Players seem to like him, and he's got a bit of experience as an SPL manager now. If he does go to them, I don't forsee any sort of disasterous consequences for United to be honest.

McD
10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
If mixu gets it then best of luck ti him, it didn't work out for him as manager at hibs but he's still a nice fella who overall has done more good for hibs than bad.

He re-signed Murray and Riordan as well, didn't know what to do with them but we still have them now and thats what matters.

Best of luck mixu

:agree:

Im glad he's left us as manager, coz its hard to slate someone who has a lot of affection for the club, was a big fans favourite as a player, and, I think, genuinely tried his best, was found wanting, and did the honourable thing and stepped down, which is not often the way managers act, clinging on til a big payoff.

Still have a lot of affection for big mixu, dissapointed in his management time here, but he'll hopefully be remembered for his playing exploits at easter road far longer than his managerial ones.

erin go bragh
10-01-2010, 10:05 PM
hope he can hold on to 4th:bitchy: great player but not a great manager

RickyS
10-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Best of luck mixu

as long as the big fella is not a success at our expense, I would wish him all the best and he would get a warm reception from me when he came back.

jgl07
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Mixu had two top six finishes with Hibs and played dire football.

Similar to Jimmy Calderwood (and Craig Levein).

ballengeich
10-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Mixu had managerial success with Cowdenbeath and in Finland so I thought he was a reasonable appointment when he came to us. It didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but he's an intelligent man and may well have reflected on the reasons for this in order to come back and make a good go of his next job.

Toaods
10-01-2010, 10:20 PM

...because although both would be straightforward appointments that won't require negociations with any other club, Mixu was a very popular player for United whereas Calderwood is an annoying Hun ****.

Part/Time Supporter
10-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Mixu had two top six finishes with Hibs and played dire football.

Similar to Jimmy Calderwood (and Craig Levein).

Not all top six finishes are created equal.

:wink:

If you put it that way, Mixu was as good as Mowbray.

Mibbes Aye
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Not all top six finishes are created equal.

:wink:

If you put it that way, Mixu was as good as Mowbray.

Neither managed a cup win a la the JC :greengrin

Ed De Gramo
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
why some people still refer to a 'Cult Hero' as 'Mixup' is just pathetic IMO

Wish him all the best if he gets the job (just no against us :greengrin)

HibbyAndy
10-01-2010, 10:37 PM
There's not a hope in hell Mixup will get the joab, IMO ofcourse.

Removed
10-01-2010, 10:42 PM

:agree: In the past. Folk would never get away with slating Le God :sauzee: :not worth and his managerial record was shocking, so why is it still being done with Mixu.

I'd wish Mixu all the best wherever he went, but as Gramo says as long as it's no against us.

Mibbes Aye
10-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Top six though.

Best of luck mixu

We've got a bit more perspective on Mixu now. A few years down the line it will be even more so. The facts are he maintained our top six finishes, and he's due a wee bit credit for that, especially for the season he took over in. The football was frustrating because occasionally, very occasionally, it did actually click (maybe for only one or two movements in a game) and you could see what he wanted to see or do. It just didn't work over the piece though, hence him leaving.

Brought some very good players to the club though (cue interminable debates about who actually brought them back :greengrin) and gave the younger players a shot - if Hanlon makes it, he was bled by Mixu.

McD
10-01-2010, 10:44 PM
must be thinking of another fans forum

Hahaha yeah mate.

Was meaning more in the sense of that slagging someone whom we all (well hopefully) had a lot of affection for as a player was a bit painful, and Im sure he would have got a lot more abuse if he wasn't one of our own.

Personally I wis the big man all the best, and does well in whatever he chooses to do (except against us lol). He got plenty stick on here, some deserved, some a bit OTT, but he has never had a bad word to say abt us since he's left. Mowbray was quick to show his affection for the club when he came back with celtc. I'd be very surprised if Mixu pulled a stunt like that.

Gaun yersel big man :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
10-01-2010, 11:01 PM

He's still Sixtu to me :agree:

Just Jimmy
10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
In a way Mixu was good for Hibs. He came in after it was heading south with and after JC and Craig, stablised the ship and laid a foundation for what Hughes has based his recent success upon.

Similar, in a no way what so ever to how Bobby was to thank for the club Mowbray inherited. :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-01-2010, 11:31 PM

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-01-2010, 11:31 PM

BEEJ
10-01-2010, 11:47 PM

:hilarious

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
11-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Good guy Mixu, but his tactics were too negative for me. United are traditionally a side that like to attack, while Mixu prefers to set up shop with guys like Chisholm and Brian Kerr doing sideways passes or lumping it long to a stick like Lillian Gish. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes at Hibs, who knows.

Steve20
11-01-2010, 04:52 AM

I agree.

Ok, he wasn't a good manager for us but he was a very good player for us and deserves to be treated with more respect than being called 'Mixup'. It's not even a witty name, it's pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GhostofBolivar
11-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Before Owen Coyle was appointed some Bolton fan phoned in to Sky Sports saying Mixu would be a good appointment for them because he was a fan favorite and had, "done a good job at Hibs."
:bitchy:

rainman
11-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Before Owen Coyle was appointed some Bolton fan phoned in to Sky Sports saying Mixu would be a good appointment for them because he was a fan favorite and had, "done a good job at Hibs."
:bitchy:

Kinda the same as Collins being touted for jobs now, including the Scotland job.

Winston Ingram
11-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I prey Mixu gets this. United are a good side and Mixu is by far and away the worst manager I've ever seen. If he gets it it can only help our euro push:agree:

Dinkydoo
11-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I read that as well. Can't understand why they'd want him mind you - cheap option I suppose.

Can't understand why some poeple would want to defend Mixu. He is a club legend but nobody is slating him as player, only as a manager and as a manager, he was absolutely terrible.

Apart from that, he tried to take the fans for a ride after every game. Blaming everything and everyone else apart from himself and his rubish tactics.

However, I still wish him all the best to him if he gets it and I hope he does well - not too well mind!

Just Jimmy
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Mixu gets this. United are a good side and Mixu is by far and away the worst manager I've ever seen.

away!

Houchy
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
away!

:agree: And his home form was rank as well:agree:

rightwinger
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I was by no means sad to see him leave, but I wouldn't underestimate him lightly.

He did a good job at Cowdenbeath and in Finland.

With us it was more a mixed bag than a failure.

We were toiling when he took over but he got us on a really good run to get in the top six before we tailed off.

He got us into the top six the next season. It was by no means a great season but there were highlights like the win at Pittodrie, 4-1 at Well, 2-0 against Celtic, back to back wins over Hearts and the week long cameo we had in the title race in May. The football was erratic and naturally there were some dire games.

The squiggler win against Celtic is the best big game (OF/Hearts) performance we've given since Mowbray and Celtic were on a really good run at the time.

As has been said, he also brought in Riordan, Murray, Bamba, Rankin and Nish who have all featured regularly this season.

His team wasn't great to watch and he made mistakes but the experience may stand him in good stead. Like players, the time and place can be key with managers and Utd right now may be the right place at the right time for him; Levein's made improvements throughout that club and it seems a good job to walk into. Mixu might not be the right man but I wouldn't s****** too soon.

jacomo
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Best of luck mixu

Hakim Sar
11-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Im glad he's left us as manager, coz its hard to slate someone who has a lot of affection for the club, was a big fans favourite as a player, and, I think, genuinely tried his best, was found wanting, and did the honourable thing and stepped down, which is not often the way managers act, clinging on til a big payoff.

Still have a lot of affection for big mixu, dissapointed in his management time here, but he'll hopefully be remembered for his playing exploits at easter road far longer than his managerial ones.

I totally agree... he didn't go kicking and screaming and bleating in the press. He did what was best for hibs and stepped down. just a brilliant bloke and the type of guy that deserves success somewhere

CMac1988
11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I was by no means sad to see him leave, but I wouldn't underestimate him lightly...

... Mixu might not be the right man but I wouldn't s****** too soon.

Class post, and basically sums up the way I feel about his time at Hibs.

As with pretty much all ex players good luck to him, especially if he gets the job.

.Sean.
11-01-2010, 05:45 PM
The berating of Mixu's tenure as boss is getting ever so slightly boring :yawn:

Get over it chaps, it's in the past. We're all dissapointed with how it went but things are looking up now. Let's leave it be :agree:

Richard Scott
11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

HibbyAndy
11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

What?.

joe breezy
11-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Signed Murray, Bamba and Riordan (and laid the foundations for the Graeme Smith deal) and the big man is still a Hibby with a Hibby son

Good luck Mixu (if he gets it) - but not when you play us

Gus Fring
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Maybe Mixu would make a better talent scout than a manager then?

:stirrer:

MountcastleHibs
12-01-2010, 12:08 AM
I prey Mixu gets this. United are a good side and Mixu is by far and away the worst manager I've ever seen. If he gets it it can only help our euro push:agree:

I might get pelters for this, but do you not remember Franck Sauzee? Don't get me wrong, absolute legend as a player, one of my all time favourites, but Mixu was better than him.

Even Bobby 'if you want entertainment go to the cinema' Williamson was worse than Mixu.

Mixu didn't have an easy time of it here, but was by no means the worst manager we've had. The man gave me one of the greatest memories as a HIbs fan in the 6-2 derby, so I'm not gonna berate him.

I wish Mixu all the best, wherever he ends up.

CmoantheHibs
12-01-2010, 02:35 AM
He was great for us as a player though it didnt work out as a manager.Im sure it wasnt down to a lack of effort on his part so I wish him all the best.

rainman
12-01-2010, 02:39 AM
I hate the "Mixup" nickname.

Disrespectful to a Hibs legend and Yammish to boot.

Joe Baker II
12-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Excellent post and agree though do not think he is man for United either (who are my 2nd team).

Think he should tell United to stuff it though, he suffered from being a cheap option for Petrie and will be also that at Tannadice after the Fenlon disaster. They obviously were unwilling to push the boat out to get the man they wanted from Bohemians and that in itself should (and susoect will) deter any decent candidates from taking the job.

Stevie Reid
12-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I might get pelters for this, but do you not remember Franck Sauzee? Don't get me wrong, absolute legend as a player, one of my all time favourites, but Mixu was better than him.

Even Bobby 'if you want entertainment go to the cinema' Williamson was worse than Mixu.

Mixu didn't have an easy time of it here, but was by no means the worst manager we've had. The man gave me one of the greatest memories as a HIbs fan in the 6-2 derby, so I'm not gonna berate him.

Surely Jim Duffy is out there on his own when it comes to worst Hibs manager of all time. Say what you like about Lexo, he built us up into a solid established Premier League team over his ten years in charge and were 5th in a 12 team league when he left. A few months later we were in a relegation play off. A year after that we were relegated.

Duffy let experienced pros like Kevin McAllister, Mickey Weir and Keith Wright go for free or for a pittance whilst splashing out £100K each on Jamie McQuilken, Paul Tosh, Lee Power and David Elliott. I could go on.

Anyway, like others, I'm glad Mixu's gone but wish him all the very best for the future.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I hate the "Mixup" nickname.

Disrespectful to a Hibs legend and Yammish to boot.

A hopeless manager, but a decent player, who scored a great hattrick against them. :thumbsup: Never in a million years is he a legend.:confused:

joe breezy
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
A hopeless manager, but a decent player, who scored a great hattrick against them. :thumbsup: Never in a million years is he a legend.:confused:

He's at least a cult hero. Legend or cult hero, he made a significant contribution in key matches.

It's just a matter of semantics really.

Winston Ingram
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM

I'm not saying that Blobby and Sauzee were good managers but at least you roughly see what they were trying to do. Blobby was defensive but at least he had a plan.

Every week you turned up to watch Hibs under Mixu you were left utterly baffled. Who will ever forget the 4-1-5 formation at home to ICT? He then would either say we played well when we didn't or blame the players:bitchy:

Speedway
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM

:top marks

:agree: In the past. Folk would never get away with slating Le God :sauzee: :not worth and his managerial record was shocking, so why is it still being done with Mixu.

I'd wish Mixu all the best wherever he went, but as Gramo says as long as it's no against us.

Oh I don't know. He was extremely overrated as a player, came to Hibs as 'top wage thief' and then sued us once he'd been emptied as a manager for winning a game against Stranraer and SFA else.

Anyone can look good in the 1st division, even Curier and it just goes to show how much we've been starved of talent when we regard a complete has been with no knees as a legend.

(How's That?)

Mixu though was never a Hibs manager. He signed AO'B for a start which after Mowbray brought in Brian Kerr makes you wonder if any manager can spot a player.

Thankfully Williamson came in after Mixu and cleared up Bertie Auld's mess. I'm just glad that one of the major stars of the team that fell out of favour in the Bertie Auld era, David Fellinger, is now employed with the club Hospitality on match days.

Ultimately, I think that, if Mixu gets the nod from David Narey at Dundee, then Calderwood will have to look elsewhere for a manager's position (Sainbury's perhaps?)