PDA

View Full Version : The Pitch

ano hibby
09-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Haven't read any other threads yet but I thought the most significant factor in how we played today was the pitch. Ball bobbling all over the place, every second touch was controlling the ball from the air. Some of our play was poor some of this was down to the Medda closing us down well but the pitch was very poor and this also contributed.

whereswallace?
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Haven't read any other threads yet but I thought the most significant factor in how we played today was the pitch. Ball bobbling all over the place, every second touch was controlling the ball from the air. Some of our play was poor some of this was down to the Medda closing us down well but the pitch was very poor and this also contributed.

I was just about to post the exact same thing! In my opinion even from the very start of the season the pitch hasn't been in the best condition.Our pitch always seems to cut up really badly and today with the recent weather thrown in,it just didnt suit our style of football.

hibbymark
09-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I remember last season when we patched a couple of areas on the pitch Jones came out after a game (might have been inverness) and slated the pitch. I seem to remember the club came out and said that it was a old pitch and needed replaced but nothing seems to have been done. To be fair the weather has been terrible for weeks now and that showed in the pitch today.

Franck Stanton
09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Irvine Meadow were playing on the same pitch and their players controlled the ball well enough.

Golden Bear
09-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Give the groundstaff a break - jeez look at the weather we've had recently.

Under the circumstances I think they've done a pretty good job.

ancient hibee
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Irvine Meadow were playing on the same pitch and their players controlled the ball well enough.
:top marks

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Bloody Elton John. :grr:

jdships
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM

:top marks
:agree:

Seveno
09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
It seems to me that crumbly pitches are inevitable with undersoil heating.
Having said that, Irvine Meadow created far more chances than we did today.

Littlest Hobo
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM

Ha, have ye ever watched some of the old footage from the early 80's? Now they were what I call bad pitches. Compared to them ours is like a bowling green. Sorry but the pitch argument doesn't do it for me, just poor concentration from the players and bad passing. :rolleyes:

500miles
10-01-2010, 01:37 AM

I would challange that. In fact, I would say that the only times they really posed a threat was when our play was slack. They couldn't pass the ball 10 yards either, and it was our passes that caused the problem.

The park was poor, and it did effect our passing, but as the weeks progress we will need to get used to it.

GhostofBolivar
10-01-2010, 05:45 AM

The Zamboni's working overtime these days.

ano hibby
10-01-2010, 06:58 AM

Wasn't having a go at groundstaff, I accept the circumstances. Just making an observation based on what I saw.
I agree though it was still unacceptable the poor control showed by many even despite the condition of the pitch.
If this is the pitch for next month or so better get used to some poor home performances coming up.

Guess what I'm saying is that many if our players aren't good enough to control and pass the ball on anything other than a top notch pitch.

Part/Time Supporter
10-01-2010, 07:30 AM

That isn't true. We just noticed (and reacted to) it each time a Hibs player gave away the ball.

WindyMiller
10-01-2010, 07:35 AM

BBC stats:

Hibs:Irvine
Possession 60:40
Attempts on 14:3
Attempts off 8:9
Corners 5:3

Hope this helps.:wink:

Sprouleflyer
10-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Really?

Although IM created a good amount of chances, Hibs created far more in the game. Someone will have the stats.

Sprouleflyer
10-01-2010, 08:12 AM
BBC stats:

Hibs:Irvine
Possession 60:40
Attempts on 14:3
Attempts off 8:9
Corners 5:3

Hope this helps.:wink:

There you go :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
10-01-2010, 08:16 AM

They created nowhere near the number of chances we did.

Wat Dabney
10-01-2010, 09:13 AM
If you ever wondered why some pitches still look good in winter especially EPL grounds which have roughly the same climate as Edinburgh, then here is how they do it -

http://www.sglconcept.com/en/celtic.htm

Don't know how much it costs to buy or run, but surely something we should be looking at.

Jack
10-01-2010, 09:42 AM

No. I wont give them a break, or whoever is responsible for that crap playing surface!
I first mentioned it with reference to the Hahahearts game and its been as crap as this at this time of year for the past few seasons. Its not something that is sneaking up on them unexpectedly.
There's no point in having a £6m state of the art training centre then playing on a ploughed field every other Saturday.
The weather doesn't help but other clubs manage. We should manage much better than we do.