PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Meadow post-match thoughts

ShanksSaidNo
09-01-2010, 05:27 PM
First Post on here.

Whats the general feeling about the game today?

By no means an outstanding performance but a win all the same and we're in the hat again in our latest pursuit of the holy grail! Wasnt really interested if it was 1 or 10 - as long as we got through. Good to see Deeks back on the goal trail again too.

To round it all off, the yams got papped out today and were apparently awful! Happy days.

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Poor. Hanlon (despite the goal) and Rankin were awful. IM are better than your usual SFL2 / SFL3 clubs. Like I said when the draw was made, doesn't matter if its 1-0 or 10-0. Just as well Yogi played his full team, if the reserves had played, Hibs would have struggled to win that. Not worth the risk IMO.

Hogg man of the match

:faf:

magpie1892
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
They come and gave it a go.

Let’s give them the credit. Bottom line we are in the hat for the next round.

Their supporters fantastic. We needed to dig deep.

Big pat on back for the stadium staff that got the game on, it was massively important the game went ahead today.

A couple more goals would have been a bit hard on them.

[Wouldn’t be drawn on the penalty incident]

I still think there is plenty to come from this team. They have to want to do it and want to do it together.

I hope they had a right good time. Hope they went home with strips, balls, good memories.

We have been trying to get in touch with Bamba. All our condolences go out to the Togo players. We’re hoping that Bamba is OK but we’re sure that FIFA will have him in safe hands.

Malthibby
09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Hello & welcome
No-one was injured, wee glimpses of proper footie but a load of p - - h thrown in as well. Was hoping for some confidence building but don't think that happened; if anything Hanlon in particular will have to get over a shocking performance, despite almost scoring 2 goals.
On the bright side, it was nice to relax watching a SC game, instead of the usual stress-inducing horror shows.
It'll look good on the highlights.
GG
And of course one of the big 'favourites' went down with all hands in Sheepland.:greengrin

hibee_girl
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Wasn't the best game I've ever seen but we got the result and that's all that matters

Rankin was simply awful but no one really covered themselves in glory today.

Steve20
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
We were awful. Having said that, its the cup, we are through. Job done in the end.

Bob1875
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Worst game I've seen all season. It really was like a junior game. Mind you, how you can be expected to play football on that kind of pitch is beyond me, the ball just constantly bobbled about the place. Summer football please.

Cropley10
09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Wasn't the best game I've ever seen but we got the result and that's all that matters

Rankin was simply awful but no one really covered themselves in glory today.

:agree:How hard must it be to play for Hibs in midfield and just pass the ball backwards to the guy who gave it you 9 times out of 10. The other time you play a play a pass that isn't on and lose the ball.

Lewis looked rusty when he came on but a much better player.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
We were shocking. Thought we looked like the junior team at times!! Also difficult to see from my seat but I thought it looked a pen to them! Anyone get a better view???

Woody1985
09-01-2010, 05:49 PM
The first 20 mins I didn't know who was from the SPL!

They started to run out of steam a bit just when we got the goal.

I had us down for 5 or 6 but at least we're through.

Zemmama was pretty pish today, too long on the ball again and thought he could just stroll around.

The pen incident was right in front of me and I wasn't sure, think the player looked for it but could have gone either way from where I was sitting. Don't know if there was contact.

Cabbage1875
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Absolutely shocking today, Nish and Rankin in particular.

Also there is no point saying 'at least we are through' etc, as that draw was basically a bye for Hibs. I expect people to say that's disrespectful but for me that is reality.

We should have created much more than we did and it is amazing that Irvine did not actually score.

We're kidding ourselves on if we're happy with that really, arent we?

Judas Iscariot
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
We were, as we have been for the last 4 games, utterly awful..

Pretty embarrassing at points today but we're in the hat and the yam fuds arnae..

Cropley10
09-01-2010, 05:57 PM
We were shocking. Thought we looked like the junior team at times!! Also difficult to see from my seat but I thought it looked a pen to them! Anyone get a better view???

Yeah defo a pen'. That's why the ref booked the guy for diving.

Woody1985
09-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Do refs always get it right? :confused:

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Hanlon, Nish, Rankin and Hogg were absolutely woeful today. Top marks to Wotherspoon, Miller and Stokes who all actually looked like they wanted to win and put in effort until the 90th minute. For the sponsor(s) who gave Hogg MOM, they must be related to the linesman who never gave Meadow the penalty, as their eyes must need tested. Wotherspoon was my MOM, with Miller and Murray close second. That performance was on a par with the worst of Mixu. Start playing 4-4-2 Yogi, get Stokes and Riordan to develop a partnership up front, and give some game time to Galbraith, Cregg and Stevenson. Jeez if a junior side can win, scrap and overwhelm our midfield, what on earth will Dundee Utd and St Johnstone do. Terrible game today, cracking crowd, both Hibs and Meadow, given the weather.

Cabbage1875
09-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Hanlon, Nish, Rankin and Hogg were absolutely woeful today. Top marks to Wotherspoon, Miller and Stokes who all actually looked like they wanted to win and put in effort until the 90th minute. For the sponsor(s) who gave Hogg MOM, they must be related to the linesman who never gave Meadow the penalty, as their eyes must need tested. Wotherspoon was my MOM, with Miller and Murray close second. That performance was on a par with the worst of Mixu. Start playing 4-4-2 Yogi, get Stokes and Riordan to develop a partnership up front, and give some game time to Galbraith, Cregg and Stevenson. Jeez if a junior side can win, scrap and overwhelm our midfield, what on earth will Dundee Utd and St Johnstone do. Terrible game today, cracking crowd, both Hibs and Meadow, given the weather.
I would be unsure as to whether they can play together, the ball will never stick with them up there together and the work ethic isn't exactly fantastic.

Im actually beginning to wonder where we can play Riordan. He is becoming a liability at left midfield. Tin hat firmly on as he is one of the 'uncriticiseables', I know this.

Malthibby
09-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Cannot agree with that, Stokes work-ethic is excellent, he constantly chases folk down & even Riordan has improved that side of things. Our balance is clearly not right, but Stokes & Riordan are developing an understanding. The main issues are further back.
GG

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
No tin hat required really, Riordan has been very poor this last few games and is back to his dummy spitting best. One attack in the first half, where Wotherspoon yet again had done excellent work from the wing, into the box, and just missed with his pass to either Riordan or Stokes, Derek decided to waste the next 30 seconds shouting abuse at DW instead of getting back up the pitch to try to win back possession. His free kick second half was nothing short of pathetic, and his touch escaped him all day bar the one yard tap in. I will happily stand in the "bench Derek" trenches with you cabbage :agree:

xyz23jc
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
My first thoughts were that it looked like a clear pen to them, need to see the replay though. Strangely nervous and tentative today, no fan support from us. Some numptie in the East spent the whole match abusing Rankin, Nish, and Hogg the entire match. The result was all that mattered, played some good football in the latter stages. Stokes, alongside Murray and Hogg led by example. Their fans, however, total vermin, Hun wannabes doesn't even come close to describing them. We arra the Peepul rage inducing, as was all the Rangers imitation/hero worship. Even the Medda chants sounded like rankgers. Pathetic bunch, but supported their team throughout, cheering backpasses and shys!!!! Glad we've seen the back of them. F*** living in Irvine though!

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
I will qualify that statement by saying that if Riordan is not played as a centre forward, then the bench should have a place for him if Yogi continues playing him left mid.

gorgie_harp
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Absolutely shocking today, Nish and Rankin in particular.

Also there is no point saying 'at least we are through' etc, as that draw was basically a bye for Hibs. I expect people to say that's disrespectful but for me that is reality.

We should have created much more than we did and it is amazing that Irvine did not actually score.

:top marks:agree:.
Very very poor by Hibernian the day.(Not happy with that performance.)
Can do, and must do better.:grr:

Cabbage1875
09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Cannot agree with that, Stokes work-ethic is excellent, he constantly chases folk down & even Riordan has improved that side of things. Our balance is clearly not right, but Stokes & Riordan are developing an understanding. The main issues are further back.
GG
I think we have issues all over the park. Tin hat on again, mind.

No tin hat required really, Riordan has been very poor this last few games and is back to his dummy spitting best. One attack in the first half, where Wotherspoon yet again had done excellent work from the wing, into the box, and just missed with his pass to either Riordan or Stokes, Derek decided to waste the next 30 seconds shouting abuse at DW instead of getting back up the pitch to try to win back possession. His free kick second half was nothing short of pathetic, and his touch escaped him all day bar the one yard tap in. I will happily stand in the "bench Derek" trenches with you cabbage :agree:
Good man, surprised to get some support for that train of thought so quickly :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Is this meant to be sarcastic??? :confused: Ur surely not suggesting Referees dont make mistakes?!?!?

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Along with the performance, I thought a lot of the attitudes out there were dreadful. Any Hibs player making a basic error seemed to be immediately looking round for someone else to blame. Hogg was about the worst which, considering he's the captain, is shocking!

It's time to bin the MOTM award. If Hogg can get it on today's performance, it is meaningless.

Hibby Bairn
09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Thought Riordan did OK today - scored!
Rankin is pish
Nish is pish
Hanlon showed good character after a woeful first half
Defo a pen IMO
Irvine could have won game if they had a bit more luck and took their clearer chances
Steak pie and bovril overpriced but necessary today!
Jambos oot.

sambajustice
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Well thats £25 and an afteroon out of my life i'll never get back!!!

I seriously hope we werent out of first gear there, we were hopeless!!

Its always difficult to come on and criticise after a win but we were shocking today.

I thought Irvine Meadow were total pish, any chances they got came from us falling asleep and switching off. They could barely get near us in the 2nd half.

Ay least we're through though, unlike the West Edinburgh Brown Shirts :greengrin

BEEJ
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Just as well Yogi played his full team, if the reserves had played, Hibs would have struggled to win that. Not worth the risk IMO.
Disagree. I think the psychology here is very important.

The team selected today is basically the first choice for SPL matches. So they go into this match:

> Likely to be a bit complacent
> Unlikely to stretch themselves and risk injury thereby missing future 'expected' appearances in the SPL in forthcoming weeks.

On the other hand, give some of your second string players an opportunity to show what they can do and not only do they have less to lose but they are more likely to give their all in an effort to prove their worth.

Zemmama was pretty pish today, too long on the ball again and thought he could just stroll around.
As I said ....

:agree:

How may posters on here have declared:

"When that team clicks we're going to really give some team a doing."

Well today was the big opportunity to do just that.

Alicky Ranks
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
First game since December 2008 today and I thought it was, by and large, murder. I guess living abroad can distort your viewpoint but I was pretty alarmed by the standard on show. Surely we can play a lot better than that?

Didn't help that I was freezing I guess and I know all that really counts is that we got through to the next round (unlike the yams :greengrin) but I'd hoped to see us put on a bit of show today.

MSK
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Big pat on back for the stadium staff that got the game on, it was massively important the game went ahead today.

I still think there is plenty to come from this team. They have to want to do it and want to do it together.

I hope they had a right good time. Hope they went home with strips, balls, good memories.

.Bollox to that Yogi ..football is meant to be about entertainment, thats why we pay our friggin money ....the minute the 3rd went in the game turned dull as dishwater & it got worse after you chopped & changed, ffs man did Dunfermline feel any sympathy for Stenhousemuir when they rattled 7 past them !!

Signed- an absolutley frozen bored oot ma tits Happyhibbie ..

ancient hibee
09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Riordan-scored one goal,set up another and was involved in a third-should definitely be dropped.

The problem with the team is the midfield-pointless passing,slow release of the ball,playing themselves into trouble-in fact it's just like watching Falkirk last season-any connection?

hiberactive
09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Worst performance of the season for me.Hogg,once again,very poor-looked like he would struggle to get into their team.Also we need 2 full backs very quickly.Ian Murray was prob our best player,with the rest going through the motions.Very fortunate not to concede a couple of goals-a game to forget.

Baw187
09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
We were poor in that our touch and passing was poor, but that was mostly to do with the pitch and the pressure applied by IM who did a great job of getting stuck into us.

Aside from that, we created enough opportunities to score 3 or 4 more if it weren't for a mixture of poor finishing, incorrect decision making, and outright greedyness.

The tactics of passing the ball backwards and amongst the midfield, in the main, is the correct one as we needed to draw them out so we could exploit spaces behind. That's pretty bog standard. What caused us the problem in doing this, was the aforementioned crap touch and passing. This put us under pressure at times. As mentioned previously, Hogg, Hanlon and Rankin were gash today and they are all key to us retaining the ball when applying his tactic.

On a warm August afternoon, on a nice
lush pitch, we'd have done much better IMO. But we won a tricky match in tricky conditions so I am happy with that.

fife hfc
09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
The game today was murder and I spent most of it shouting abuse at the attitude and general play of those wasters that took to the field today (I would exclude Smith, Wotherspoon, Stokes and Deeks).

yogi also deserves criticism as the we play with Deek wide left but nobody wide right:grr: also his substitutions were an absolute joke, why no Mcbride to give him game time and why did that big huddy Nish stay on the pitch for so long (absolute joke). Why no Galbraith? Today cried out for wide players but Yogi seems averse to them.

scoopyboy
09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
The game today was murder and I spent most of it shouting abuse at the attitude and general play of those wasters that took to the field today (I would exclude Smith, Wotherspoon, Stokes and Deeks).

yogi also deserves criticism as the we play with Deek wide left but nobody wide right:grr: also his substitutions were an absolute joke, why no Mcbride to give him game time and why did that big huddy Nish stay on the pitch for so long (absolute joke). Why no Galbraith? Today cried out for wide players but Yogi seems averse to them.

Typical fifer, no happy unless you're moaning.

fife hfc
09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm a born and bred leither and even if I was a fifer the crap produced on the pitch today deserved to moaned at:greengrin.

BSEJVT
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Very very poor performance.

Hanlon, Nish, Rankin & Hogg were absolutely woeful.

WTF was Cregg like with those massive shorts:greengrin

None of the subs did themselves any favours.

scoopyboy
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm a born and bred leither and even if I was a fifer the crap produced on the pitch today deserved to moaned at:greengrin.

Irrespective of where you originated from you seem to take pleasure from shouting abuse at Hibs players.

I can be upset about the way Hibs play but I never see the point in shouting abuse at players, believe it or not players have ears and they can hear abuse shouted at them.

fife hfc
09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Irrespective of where you originated from you seem to take pleasure from shouting abuse at Hibs players.

I can be upset about the way Hibs play but I never see the point in shouting abuse at players, believe it or not players have ears and they can hear abuse shouted at them.

I hope Nish has got ears and actually comes on here as I'll repeat that he is ****ing hopeless and should never put on a Hibs top again. If the players are that sensitive about fans shouting abuse at them then they should not be playing professional football.

Alfred E Newman
09-01-2010, 07:42 PM

We have been trying to get in touch with Bamba. All our condolences go out to the Togo players. We’re hoping that Bamba is OK but we’re sure that FIFA will have him in safe hands.

The team might have done themselves proud but a fair percentage of their supporters were a disgrace. Let their town down badly with their party songs which was a typical display of west of Scotland bigotry.

Cropley10
09-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I hope Nish has got ears and actually comes on here as I'll repeat that he is ****ing hopeless and should never put on a Hibs top again. If the players are that sensitive about fans shouting abuse at them then they should not be playing professional football.

You are a disgrace. IMHO. Stay away from Easter Road if you don't like it.

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Oooh Err Missus:greengrin

Getting juicy !

fife hfc
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM

:confused: Why a disgrace for having a go at the players for their shocking attitude today in the lack of effort and commitment. If today is acceptable to you then maybe you should go to Tynecastle as that's the pish they seem to enjoy.

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I suppose that's correct scoopy, and even the great teams stumble against minnows (Real Madrid this season for example), but some of those players today need to have a long hard look at themselves and ask whether or not they are really cutting it at the moment. Hanlon needed two or thee touches to even bring the ball under control, under no pressure, and he is allegedly a future Scotland cap. Rankin time and time again misplaced a pass, or went for the telegraphed through ball which was easliy dealt with. There are/were no real battlers in that side, no "angry men", who take games that are drifting the way it was today by the scruff of the neck and metaphorically knock heads together. Why is someone not in Riordan's face asking him to work harder or get his game head on ? Or is he an untouchable amongst his team mates. The team needs steel, and some gritty leadership. The team Yogi was in had technique and skill (Sauzee and Latapy), but equally some hardened pros a la Yogi himself, Dennis and Mixu. He needs to find the blend that means every team player is on their toes. It needn't just be the fans who berate players for poor play

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 07:48 PM
:confused: Why a disgrace for having a go at the players for their shocking attitude today in the lack of effort and commitment. If today is acceptable to you then maybe you should go to Tynecastle as that's the pish they seem to enjoy.

Oooh Err again :greengrin

Getting Juicier:greengrin

Littlest Hobo
09-01-2010, 07:53 PM
We were poor yet again today, that's three games on the bounce now. Come on yogi get these boys in for some basics, like how to pass a ****in baw.

Other than that I'm over the moon at being through to the next roond, hopeing we get a cup derby, that's if City scrape through?:wink::greengrin

MSK
09-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Getting Juicier:greengrinYou gie it a rest tae ..

zlatan
09-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Getting Juicier:greengrin

I'll set fire to your bins :grr:

I see where old fifey is coming from tbf, you know it's a bad day at the office when you get sarcastically cheered off by your own fans against Irvine Meadow. Nish and Rankin were absolutely appalling today.

As someone else already mentioned the attitude was my main worry about today, everyone seemed to think they could skip past the whole opposition team because they were Irvine Meadow, something that should have been booted out them at half time which didn't happen.

Ho hum, we're through and all that but that was a complete waste of time and money for all this afternoon.

Cropley10
09-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Except of course booing players is a big thing over there, you'd fit in well. And you're a keyboard hardman, bragging about abusing our players.

Johnny_Leith
09-01-2010, 08:08 PM
IM were denied one of the most blatant penalty kicks you'll ever see!

Cabbage1875
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
IM were denied one of the most blatant penalty kicks you'll ever see!
Thought it was an absolute stonewaller at the game.

Hiber-nation
09-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Thought it was an absolute stonewaller at the game.

From my vantage point in the West Lower I thought Smith was nowhere near him and it was a blatant dive.

fife hfc
09-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm not a keyborad hardman I just don't like getting called a disgrace and told to stay away from Easter Road by self righteous fans. I wish I was as great as you lot but then again i'm only a mere mortal and like most football fans sometimes feel it is needed to give the players abuse if I feel it is required. as I said I only shout when I feel it is deserved (ie a lack of commitment and effort) and today was such a day.

If the players gave 100% each week and lost I would have no complaints. but when you see players that you know are not putting in the effort and just expect things to happen then imho they set themselves up for criticism.

Cabbage1875
09-01-2010, 08:19 PM
From my vantage point in the West Lower I thought Smith was nowhere near him and it was a blatant dive.
I was also in West Lower, it's a funny old game :faf:

I hope I'm proved wrong on the highlights and if the referee got it right, well hats off.

Just my first impression was it was a pen.

Hibby Bairn
09-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Still - one defeat in 15 games. No bad I suppose for a team that cannae defend, create, pass, take a touch, keep goal, nae full backs, nae bite, grit or steel.

Let's just chill a bit eh!

zlatan
09-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm not a keyborad hardman I just don't like getting called a disgrace and told to stay away from Easter Road by self righteous fans. I wish I was as great as you lot but then again i'm only a mere mortal and like most football fans sometimes feel it is needed to give the players abuse if I feel it is required. as I said I only shout when I feel it is deserved (ie a lack of commitment and effort) and today was such a day.

If the players gave 100% each week and lost I would have no complaints. but when you see players that you know are not putting in the effort and just expect things to happen then imho they set themselves up for criticism.

No need to justify shouting naughty things at the football mate, everyone does it.

Highly understandable getting more frustrated than usual at todays match as well.

fife hfc
09-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Still - one defeat in 15 games. No bad I suppose for a team that cannae defend, create, pass, take a touch, keep goal, nae full backs, nae bite, grit or steel.

Let's just chill a bit eh!

I'm only criticising them for today not over 15 games. Thats the problem the teams got, they set the standards so when they fall way below it, like today,they leave themselves open for criticisms.

Glasgow Hibee
09-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Have never understood this attitude. Do you think you get the best out of people by abusing them ?

Nish (or who-ever you're slagging at that point) will not suddenly turn around and start playing out his skin because a someone sitting in the stand is calling him an erse !

The way to get the best out of anyone is to praise the things they do well - and if you don't think they are doing anything well, then keep quiet as bawling abuse will only ever make them worse.

Mibbes Aye
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
First Post on here.

Whats the general feeling about the game today?

By no means an outstanding performance but a win all the same and we're in the hat again in our latest pursuit of the holy grail! Wasnt really interested if it was 1 or 10 - as long as we got through. Good to see Deeks back on the goal trail again too.

To round it all off, the yams got papped out today and were apparently awful! Happy days.

3-0 will do for me. We had further chances, and they had theirs though ours tended to be as a consequence of better football. Given all the circumstances I'm happy enough with the result. Performance level wasn't good and a few individual performances were painful to watch but we've avoided a potentially horrific banana-skin and comfortably beaten our opponents to move through to the next round of the Cup.

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
You gie it a rest tae ..

Can we not all just be friends:greengrin

Folk falling out on a messageboard:rolleyes:

:devil:

zlatan
09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Have never understood this attitude. Do you think you get the best out of people by abusing them ?

Nish (or who-ever you're slagging at that point) will not suddenly turn around and start playing out his skin because a someone sitting in the stand is calling him an erse !

The way to get the best out of anyone is to praise the things they do well - and if you don't think they are doing anything well, then keep quiet as bawling abuse will only ever make them worse.

Nish definitely missed 2 glaring chances from 6 yards out today because someone called him a dick :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2010, 08:30 PM

One thing that always intrigues me about above - Hibs fans shouting abuse at Hibs players! And if you believe Nish is hopeless - I dont think he covered himself in glory today along with a few others - then he cant help that so no amount of abuse is going to change anything should you no be aiming your abuse at the manager since he trains and selects him?

In Yogi do you trust?

If yes then you have the answer as to what to do. By the way in his defence of Nish in particular Yogi has mentioned in particular getting on his back affects his confidence. One thing to deal with abuse from the opposition but your own fans - Jesus wept!

If no then you also have the answer what to do.

Perhaps we are our own worst enemy when it comes to the cup do we as a support have the balls to persevere? Do you not think the Yams would love to just be fortunate to get into the next round..?

Hibby Bairn
09-01-2010, 08:31 PM
What about someone coming on and praising young Paul Hanlon. He knew himself he had an awful first half but was clearly encouraged to get forward more second half and recovered well to score a fine individual goal. Good management by Hughes as well as hooking him at half time could have really killed the young lads confidence.

BTW the 'supporters' who cheered mainly in the East when Nish was subbed are a disgrace IMO.

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
A lot of passion being spent on this thread over nothing, methinks.

I think Yogi took it more seriously than the players, who performed as if it was a training game. Can't say I particularly blame them, there are big games coming up and it was job done, probably after Zommers second.

The usual suspects this season: Rankin, Nish and Hogg were particularly poor.

The IM fans didn't make the noise I thought they would, as they were just getting introduced to each other for the first time; genuine Medda fans, along with those of assorted townies, Killie and the OF, with the Hunish element pathetically trying to be provocative with 'Derry's (yawn) Walls.' (Do they really believe we give a toss?)

There was a lot of hype about this game, but in the end Hibs played in fifth gear and it was still no contest. Had we played even a decent Div One team like that they would have murdered us, but they weren't, and we wouldn't have been so casual. Yes, we should have turned the screw but at 2-0, the players seemed to be thinking of a hot bath and a pint in the players lounge.

Still, two teams in the city are in the draw for the next round, and neither plays in Gorgie.

C'mon Cit-ay!

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Nish definitely missed 2 glaring chances from 6 yards out today because someone called him a dick :agree:

OK sports psychologists out there discuss the impact of psychology on performance given the scenario above being abused by elements of your own "support".

rossi
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Thought the abuse Nish received today was out of order. He didn't have a good game,but neither did half the team. He kept trying and never hid. I've never understood why so many Hibs "supporters" enjoy damaging a players confidence so much, or why there always has to be at least one whipping boy. Maybe it's something to do with relationships (or lack of) with their wives or husbands.
Benji was no better than Nish when he came on but no on was calling him a ****ing donkey or sceaming at him to get to f...

BEEJ
09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
i'm only a mere mortal and like most football fans sometimes feel it is needed to give the players abuse if I feel it is required. as I said I only shout when I feel it is deserved (ie a lack of commitment and effort) and today was such a day.

I understand your frustration. But it does paint an interesting picture of a club 'supporter'. Just what is the definition of that word?

For me, if I see a Hibs player having a stinker I just go very quiet.

That's probably what we should be aiming for as a support; cheer and sing loudly when the team is playing well and remain silent when they're playing like complete amateurs.

You can rest assured that the players will still detect the difference!

Instead we tend to remain silent at ER when the team is playing well and resort to abuse when they are having an off-day. :confused:

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Nish was better than Stokes !!

Allant1981
09-01-2010, 08:44 PM

I agree dont give them abuse but if you dont say nothing then these guys go off thinking they had a decent game, sometimes they need a reality check

millarco
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm disappointed but not that surprised that Hogg is receiving stick on here for today. Thought he was as good a shout as any for MOTM. He was constantly covering for Wotherspoon's poor positioning and Murray's lack of pace, and was aggressive when attacking the ball. I was sitting in the east for a change today, a lot closer to the action, and you can see why Yogi made him captain-constantly talking to the rest of the team, a quiet word just to keep things going. He was poor in the last couple of games, but IMO he was one of the few players to have a decent game today. MOTM for me ahead of Stokes and Wotherspoon.

Meddaheroes1973
09-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Just back through to God's country after a truly wonderful display from our 'pub' team. The earlier predictions of 10 to 15-0 were shown up as complete nonsense from muppets who know absolutely nothing of football outside of the glorious SPL.

For the first 20- 30 minutes my wee team bossed it and were denied a stonewall penalty, one which every one of you would have been screaming for if roles were reversed. We lost a couple of soft goals in the 15mins leading upto half time and another pretty soon after.

Your team might not have hit top gear but hats off to the juniors for giving it their all and at times showing up some prima-donna 'professional/ international class' football players as nothing more than ordinary.

You are through to the 5th round but Yogi and your boys at least know they were pushed hard by a bunch of sparkies, plumbers and carpet fitters!

Well done the Medda, We r pwoud, vewy pwoud!!!!!

P.S We are still non-sectarian despite what you say. Some of the comments chucked at us from the East shed were out of order as were some of the songs sung in response!

Pots n kettles boys.

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm disappointed but not that surprised that Hogg is receiving stick on here for today. Thought he was as good a shout as any for MOTM. He was constantly covering for Wotherspoon's poor positioning and Murray's lack of pace, and was aggressive when attacking the ball. I was sitting in the east for a change today, a lot closer to the action, and you can see why Yogi made him captain-constantly talking to the rest of the team, a quiet word just to keep things going. He was poor in the last couple of games, but IMO he was one of the few players to have a decent game today. MOTM for me ahead of Stokes and Wotherspoon.

Stokes !! Yer having a laugh surely ?

You also say that Hogg was covering for Spoonys mistakes but then say that Hogg shades MOM from Spoony :confused:

Godsahibby
09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Hanlon was poor today, but then again he's not a left back, Ian Murray in my opinion plays his best games at left back. We've been hearing all season from Hughes about how good Hanlon has been in the bounce games at centre half, why not play him there then? He's surely good enough to cope with a Junior team if not he really shouldnt be at the club. He's a great tallent but currently playing a role that's doing him no favours.

I can understand why Wotherspoon is being played out of position, we've got no other opton, but the best left back we have at the club is murray so why not play him there.

McSwanky
09-01-2010, 08:48 PM

With respect, if the original poster feels a player isn't giving their all for the jersey, they have every right to get on the player's back.

What I can't abide is the constant barracking of players who are trying their best but just aren't good enough (e.g. Alen Orman, Michael Renwick, Brian Hamilton, Jarko Wiss etc, etc, etc).

I think that's fair, no?

Edit: and re your last paragraph, that's simply not true. Different people are motivated by different things. For some, the carrot is mightier than the stick. For others, the reverse applies.

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
3-0 as predicted.

This was Irvine Huns cup final and on a dodgy pitch in a no-win situation we did ok.

We really need width and pace in the team if we are to kick on in the second half of the season. Problems left over from Mixu's reign.

zlatan
OK sports psychologists out there discuss the impact of psychology on performance given the scenario above being abused by elements of your own "support".

I'm not a vocal person at the football but I can understand why people do it, mainly they are short tempered, a bit mental or had a few. Football is all about kneejerk comments during and immediately after matches, if someone misses it's just natural to some to shout it was a bit iffy.

Steve20

You have got to be joking. Stokes was miles better than Nish. In fact, Stokes was probably one of our better players today.

zlatan
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Codswallop, Stokes ran his arse off today, done brilliantly to set up the 2nd goal and was the only player that looked convincing when taking the man on I thought.

His effort off the post was brilliant although he did make a howling mess of that chance at the end.

sleeping giant
You have got to be joking. Stokes was miles better than Nish. In fact, Stokes was probably one of our better players today.

You think ?

Seemed to be standing about doing a fair bit of nothing much imo !

Cabbage1875

3-0 will do for me. We had further chances, and they had theirs though ours tended to be as a consequence of better football. Given all the circumstances I'm happy enough with the result. Performance level wasn't good and a few individual performances were painful to watch but we've avoided a potentially horrific banana-skin and comfortably beaten our opponents to move through to the next round of the Cup.
In reality, the draw we got was a bye. I dont care if anyone thinks that's disrespectful or whatever, there is absolutely no way in hell we were going to be knocked out by them.

That's why the manner of our performance was so galling, and in no way did I leave that game today satisfied with what I saw.

FWIW, I thought Stokes was by some distance our best player today.

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Just back through to God's country after a truly wonderful display from our 'pub' team. The earlier predictions of 10 to 15-0 were shown up as complete nonsense from muppets who know absolutely nothing of football outside of the glorious SPL.

For the first 20- 30 minutes my wee team bossed it and were denied a stonewall penalty, one which every one of you would have been screaming for if roles were reversed. We lost a couple of soft goals in the 15mins leading upto half time and another pretty soon after.

Your team might not have hit top gear but hats off to the juniors for giving it their all and at times showing up some prima-donna 'professional/ international class' football players as nothing more than ordinary.

You are through to the 5th round but Yogi and your boys at least know they were pushed hard by a bunch of sparkies, plumbers and carpet fitters!

P.S We are still non-sectarian despite what you say. Some of the comments chucked at us from the East shed were out of order as were some of the songs sung in response!

Pots n kettles boys.

Your first team should beat Hamilton tomorrow :rolleyes:

If you are a true "Medda" fan, then you would disown your "fans" who sung "We are the People" and booed your sub with the first names "John Paul" when he came on.

All reminds me how far Scotland has to go before it rids itself of the cancer of sectarianism.

Allant1981
09-01-2010, 08:53 PM

Pots n kettles boys.

I was one of the so called muppets who thought we woud win 10 nil and still think we should have but hey ho its only a game. As for the hun songs- tut tut to your fans:bitchy:

Steve20
09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
You think ?

Seemed to be standing about doing a fair bit of nothing much imo !

I didn't see him standing about not doing much at all. What I seen was him running around chasing everything.

KeithTheHibby
09-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I thought we were crap from start to finish.
Too many misplaced passes and at times we did not look up for it.

Vast improvement for the 5th round please.

BEEJ
We've been hearing all season from Hughes about how good Hanlon has been in the bounce games at centre half, why not play him there then? He's surely good enough to cope with a Junior team if not he really shouldnt be at the club. He's a great tallent but currently playing a role that's doing him no favours.
:top marks

Missed opportunity today.

steakbake
1. I think Irvine Meadow looked up for it. They had absolutely nothing to lose and fair play to them, went all out to make things tricky for Hibs.

2. We put 3 goals past them.

3. The team looked a bit under pressure today - nervous almost, but settled a bit after the second.

4. Couldn't believe some of the abuse fans around me were giving our players.

We won. It wasn't pretty at times, but many is the time when we have played pretty and lost. Went to the match with a mate of mine who is a Dundee Utd fan and he was laughing at the fact that folk around us were getting riled that we hadn't scored after the first 10 minutes.

Said that our fans seem very impatient.He also commented that we desperately need a defensive midfielder who can distribute the ball. Also that we spend far too much time trying to make the killer pass in the final 3rd when there are usually easier options. All fair points, I thought. He also thought the bovril was lukewarm, but that our pies were good. I think he'll be back. :wink:

cleanyman
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Irvine Meadow played well. Hibs on the otherhand, were utter mince.

KeithTheHibby
09-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Pots n kettles boys.

Hmmm, stonewall penalty...who do you think was in the best place to make that call? You 100 yards away or the ref who was up with play?

As for your support how you can defend the moronic element is beyond me.

Glad you had a good day however next week it shall be back to watching your part-timers along with another couple of hundred supporters in some diddy league whereas I shall be watching my team of prima donnas strutting their stuff at Tannadice.

Allant1981
09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Irvine Meadow played well. Hibs on the otherhand, were utter mince.

I didnt think they played that well, still reckon we should have skelped them today just like the pars done with stenny. dont think ill be predicting scores from now on!!

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I didn't see him standing about not doing much at all. What I seen was him running around chasing everything.

Are you not talking about Nish ?
I seen him chase everything and come short to collect the ball .

hibee_girl
09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Are you not talking about Nish ?
I seen him chase everything and come short to collect the ball .

He works a lot harder than Stokes who seems to just expect the ball to fall at his feet

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
The bovril was indeed lukewarm. As for killer passes, you could have draped a Hibs top over one of the equally lukewarm half pizza slices, placed it in midfield, and it would have still found a Hibs player more often than Rankin today.

Glasgow Hibee
09-01-2010, 09:06 PM
With respect, if the original poster feels a player isn't giving their all for the jersey, they have every right to get on the player's back. - They might think they have the right because they paid there money but they are not helping their team !

What I can't abide is the constant barracking of players who are trying their best but just aren't good enough (e.g. Alen Orman, Michael Renwick, Brian Hamilton, Jarko Wiss etc, etc, etc). - Agree

I think that's fair, no?

Edit: and re your last paragraph, that's simply not true. Different people are motivated by different things. For some, the carrot is mightier than the stick. For others, the reverse applies.

And re: your last paragraph - You can make a case that "constructive" criticism can motivate some people but I would dispute that abuse ever does. I don't know exactly what fife hfc shouts but a lot of what I hear can not be construed as constructive in anyway.

steakbake
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
The bovril was indeed lukewarm. As for killer passes, you could have draped a Hibs top over one of the equally lukewarm half pizza slices, placed it in midfield, and it would have still found a Hibs player more often than Rankin today.

Petrie...:grr::grr::grr:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Special-Homefront-Catering-Indicator-Stainless/dp/B002O6S48S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1263071243&sr=8-3

millarco
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Stokes !! Yer having a laugh surely ?

You also say that Hogg was covering for Spoonys mistakes but then say that Hogg shades MOM from Spoony :confused:

I was very impressed with his work rate and touch, which admittedly let him down at the end. He deserved a goal, and offered much more of a threat than Riordan and Nish.

And it is possible to make mistakes and still have a good game. Wotherspoon was strong going forward and decent in the air, but his defensive frailties were evident again. I'd like to see us get someone in at right back and push him further forward.

To be honest there weren't many outstanding performances today so it was difficult to pick out the best. Who was your MOTM?

Meddaheroes1973
09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

If you are a true "Medda" fan, then you would disown your "fans" who sung "We are the People" and booed your sub with the first names "John Paul" when he came on.

All reminds me how far Scotland has to go before it rids itself of the cancer of sectarianism.

I am a true Medda fan who for the last 30 years has followed my local team all over the country to some god-forsaken places that you boys would never dream of settin foot in. It's not always so clear cut. Sectarianism/ Bigotry is not our bag and wee JP has, has always had and always will have the full support of all the Medda boyz n lassies. (As will the other 90% of our team who favour Celtic). That means nothing to us, we're only there to see the Medda.

Can your east stand fan base who were shouting/ singing deregatory/ sectarian filth at us say the same???

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I blame Hughes and Chipper for the poor catering today. Niave tactics and the catering staff served like it was a training day. Why does Hughes persist with only youngsters behind the counter ? Poor cash handling skills all day too :greengrin

steakbake
09-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I blame Hughes and Chipper for the poor catering today. Niave tactics and the catering staff served like it was a training day. Why does Hughes persist with only youngsters behind the counter ? Poor cash handling skills all day too :greengrin

:greengrin: We were in the East stand today and we did say that one of the lads behind the pie counter was having a total mare.

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I was very impressed with his work rate and touch, which admittedly let him down at the end. He deserved a goal, and offered much more of a threat than Riordan and Nish.

And it is possible to make mistakes and still have a good game. Wotherspoon was strong going forward and decent in the air, but his defensive frailties were evident again. I'd like to see us get someone in at right back and push him further forward.

To be honest there weren't many outstanding performances today so it was difficult to pick out the best. Who was your MOTM?

Oh ya bugger !:greengrin
Thats a hard one !

The big blonde guy from Medda ! Struggling to pick a decent Hibs performer if i'm being honest!

18Craig75
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Nish was on a hiding to nothing today. Don't think it was his best performance by a long way today, but was he really that much worse than Zemamma, Rankin, Hanlon and co.? For the first 15mins of the game a group behind me constantly whinged about how bad he was, and proceeded to sling abuse at him every time he went near the ball! Of course people are entitled to voice their opinions at the match, but why be so negative from the first whistle?

People have short memories...Before the Rangers game Nish was arguably our best player for the 3 or 4 weeks prior to that, and certainly no worse than anyone else during the Rangers game. For the record, I'm no Nish apologist. I just think if Yogi's picking him, then he must be doing something right?

Anyway, as has been said, poor performance today. However, the way i see it...Job done!:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM

We sung that at Ibrox !!

18Craig75
I am a true Medda fan who for the last 30 years has followed my local team all over the country to some god-forsaken places that you boys would never dream of settin foot in. It's not always so clear cut. Sectarianism/ Bigotry is not our bag and wee JP has, has always had and always will have the full support of all the Medda boyz n lassies. (As will the other 90% of our team who favour Celtic). That means nothing to us, we're only there to see the Medda.

Can your east stand fan base who were shouting/ singing deregatory/ sectarian filth at us say the same???

Such as?

truehibernian
Yeah, same in the West. The grease from the hotdogs was continually outpacing the girl serving us. The lad next to her was a good dribbler though. Showed early promise until the speed of the pizza halves got the better of him and he had to be subbed.

steakbake
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
We sung that at Ibrox !!

Post-modern irony doesn't count.

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Post-modern irony doesn't count.

I would love to join in this conversation if i knew what Post modern irony was :greengrin

Meddaheroes1973
09-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Hmmm, stonewall penalty...who do you think was in the best place to make that call? You 100 yards away or the ref who was up with play?

As for your support how you can defend the moronic element is beyond me.

Glad you had a good day however next week it shall be back to watching your part-timers along with another couple of hundred supporters in some diddy league whereas I shall be watching my team of prima donnas strutting their stuff at Tannadice.

My opinion along with 2500 other Medda fans, a good few of your own and, as far as i'm led to believe Sky sports! The ref made the call as he is paid to do. Fair do's, no complaints.

We'll be back at Medda Park next Sat watching our boys play Annbank in the Scottish Junior Cup for a fraction of the price it costs you to travel to Tannadice in the worst top flight league in Europe, one that you will never win.

You might get the Scottish but not this year. Would that make it 108 Year???

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
My opinion along with 2500 other Medda fans, a good few of your own and, as far as i'm led to believe Sky sports! The ref made the call as he is paid to do. Fair do's, no complaints.

We'll be back at Medda Park next Sat watching our boys play Annbank in the Scottish Junior Cup for a fraction of the price it costs you to travel to Tannadice in the worst top flight league in Europe, one that you will never win.

Touche :thumbsup:

DarrenSQH
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Do you not mean you will be at Hamilton the morn?

steakbake
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I would love to join in this conversation if i knew what Post modern irony was :greengrin

It's a futurist clothes pressing device.

truehibernian
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
To be fair, I thought the Meadow fans were superb today and much of their "we are the people" stuff I thought was being sung ironically (as we are still seen as a catholic minded team/support to other teams). Didn't bother me in the slightest what a small band of them were singing. I stayed behind like many in the West and applauded the Meadow players who were really hard working today. Stonewall penalty from where I was sitting I have to say. Hibs deserved to win, no doubt about it, but Meadow played as if it was their cup final. Good on them.

Mibbes Aye
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM

It's a futurist clothes pressing device.

Or a mail order scheme for state-of-the-art laundering :agree:

murray26
09-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Room for improvement but it was always a no win situation, we are in the hat for the next round so life goes on, we will and need to get better but thats for another day, Well done boys for a better than expected first half of the season.

Removed
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM

What’s the difference between a postmodernist and a mafia boss?

The mafia boss makes you an offer you can’t refuse, while a postmodernist makes you an offer you can’t understand.

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
What’s the difference between a postmodernist and a mafia boss?

The mafia boss makes you an offer you can’t refuse, while a postmodernist makes you an offer you can’t understand.

:greengrin

I think !:greengrin

Austinho
09-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Can your east stand fan base who were shouting/ singing deregatory/ sectarian filth at us say the same???When are you actually going to give an example, instead of simply giving the usual Hun response of 'youse lot were just as bad as us'?

'Sectarian filth' has been absent from Easter Road for decades now. Are you trying to tell us we have been saving it all up until some no mark Junior team came to visit?

Also, if you were in the away end, how could you possibly have heard any shouting directed at you?

sleeping giant
09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
When are you actually going to give an example, instead of simply giving the usual Hun response of 'youse lot were just as bad as us'?

Also, if you were in the away end, how could you possibly have heard any shouting directed at you?

Erm ! The East stand almost touches the Dunbar end:agree:

WindyMiller
09-01-2010, 09:44 PM

I've read some p4sh in my life but that takes the biscuit!:faf:

500miles
09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Too many players thought it was a training execise, and the ones who went in 100% and got involved found that they were instantly closed down and under pressure because of this.

monktonharp
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Hanlon was poor today, but then again he's not a left back, Ian Murray in my opinion plays his best games at left back. We've been hearing all season from Hughes about how good Hanlon has been in the bounce games at centre half, why not play him there then? He's surely good enough to cope with a Junior team if not he really shouldnt be at the club. He's a great tallent but currently playing a role that's doing him no favours.

I can understand why Wotherspoon is being played out of position, we've got no other opton, but the best left back we have at the club is murray so why not play him there.correction,Hanlon was unbeleiveably pish today. he failed to collect/control the ball on at least 5 occasions in the first half,allowing the Medda to press with throw ins that he should have prevented. if he isnae a LB,why was he there? I dont know,but he's always played there for the first team IIRC. he was certainly not playing as a fitba' player today.

Crab apple
09-01-2010, 09:57 PM

I can understand why Wotherspoon is being played out of position, we've got no other opton, but the best left back we have at the club is murray so why not play him there.

For me today would have been a good time to play PH at centre half.

Baw187
09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
For me today would have been a good time to play PH at centre half.

Given the state of his touch, and the amount of the ball our CBs see, I'm *****ing glad he wasn't.:bitchy:

Removed
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Watched the incident a couple of times over and I think the ref was correct. Good decision

I was in the FF lower row F, a lot less than 100 yards away and I thought it was a stick on pen at the time. Look forward to seeing it on Sportscene.

Liberal Hibby
10-01-2010, 12:03 AM

I think Yogi took it more seriously than the players, who performed as if it was a training game. Can't say I particularly blame them, there are big games coming up and it was job done, probably after Zommers second.

The IM fans didn't make the noise I thought they would, as they were just getting introduced to each other for the first time; genuine Medda fans, along with those of assorted townies, Killie and the OF, with the Hunish element pathetically trying to be provocative with 'Derry's (yawn) Walls.' (Do they really believe we give a toss?)

There was a lot of hype about this game, but in the end Hibs played in fifth gear and it was still no contest. Had we played even a decent Div One team like that they would have murdered us, but they weren't, and we wouldn't have been so casual. Yes, we should have turned the screw but at 2-0, the players seemed to be thinking of a hot bath and a pint in the players lounge.

Still, two teams in the city are in the draw for the next round, and neither plays in Gorgie.

C'mon Cit-ay!

Quite.

Removed
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
It's on HI, it does look a stick on but Smith clearly moves his hands away.
No doubt it will be debated and shown over and over in slow motion with a divided opinion but that shows how difficult the ref's job is.

Seen it now. Just as well I'm not a referee :greengrin

Alicky Ranks
10-01-2010, 12:19 AM
You just needed to watch the first replay on Sportscene to see it was no penalty. A clear dive and not really that hard a call for the ref to make.

Poor as Hibs were, I'm surprised nobody seems to be singling out Ian Murray as our top player. I thought he was the only one who turned in a display of 100% professionalism. He looks much more of a captain than Chris Hogg. Or do we all just take Murray for granted?

Liberal Hibby
10-01-2010, 12:24 AM

Pots n kettles boys.

I've just seen the highlights and you're right. Well done I hope you and your mates had a great day out and the more sensible Hibs fans made you welcome.

But there was a clear gulf in class - particularly up front which was the difference.

The thing I most enjoyed about BBC Scotland's coverage was the lack of the OF so they actually had to pad it out with the sort of stuff that is usual down here - interviews on the 'minnows' team bus - after match player interviews with club ties etc.

I'm hoping that the authorities see sense - the juniors should be a full part of the Scottish game - we need a pyramid and we need a merger between the SFA, SPL and SJFA - after all 'we're all in this together'

Crab apple
10-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Given the state of his touch, and the amount of the ball our CBs see, I'm *****ing glad he wasn't.:bitchy:

I thought he was poor in the first half but much improved in the second half. Don't think he is a full back though. Suppose it comes down to whether Yogi sees him having a future as a full back or CB. He may of course answer this by recruiting elsewhere for both positions.

Albanian Hibs
10-01-2010, 12:38 AM

How is this guy still on here :confused: If this was a yam making these comments he would have been launched ages ago.

Oh and it was never a stonewall penalty.

Hainan Hibs
10-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Well we're through to the next round and that's all we can ask for. Hanlon done well for his goal and Zemmama's was a good strike. I look forward to the draw tomorrow. not the most assured performance but in the cup all I want is a win and a draw to look forward too. Also the guy completely dived for the penalty claim, he was falling before Smith was near him and Smith put his arms behind his heid.

Nae need to comment on the Meddow fans, it's been covered and the usual Hun response of "well,eh,erm,eh, look at youse" has been wheeled out.

One thing though that I personally never get is the phrase I've seen given out a few times, "Hope you all have a great day out". To me it comes across as pat on the back patronizing pish we would expect off a team like Septic. It's like we were welcoming 2500 OAP's or mental patients out on a day trip.

Liberal Hibby
10-01-2010, 12:41 AM
How is this guy still on here :confused: If this was a yam making these comments he would have been launched ages ago.

Oh and it was never a stonewall penalty.

Aaaahhh! The magic of the cup...

Baw187
10-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I thought he was poor in the first half but much improved in the second half. Don't think he is a full back though. Suppose it comes down to whether Yogi sees him having a future as a full back or CB. He may of course answer this by recruiting elsewhere for both positions.

In fairness, Hanlon like a lot of young lads, plays some blinding games, then chucks in the odd horror show. I would personally like to see him groomed in to a centre half for us but if he has games like today when his touch is so bad, he gets caught in possession or makes lots of stray passes, we'll lose goals. Being the fickle fannys we are, he'll get slaughtered for this.

Our CBs see alot of the ball and, regardless of how good a tackler or defender he is, if he can't control the ball or pass it, it won't work.

millarco
10-01-2010, 12:52 AM
I've read some p4sh in my life but that takes the biscuit!:faf:

Thanks, I'm glad I amuse you. Care to elaborate on which specific part took the biscuit?

Baw187
10-01-2010, 01:00 AM

C'mon Cit-ay!

The reaction, as usual, is OTT.

In retrospect, there are a number of factors why this was always going to be tricky.

A) cup final for them. Massively up for it and charging us down like egg chasers. As better as Hibs are, this is a totally different type of football to which they are used to.

B) crap weather and pitch. The ball bobbling all ver the place caused the need for additional touches. Couple that with point A, no wonder our flow was disturbed.

C) the pyscology of the situation clearly caused us to be less focused. If you're going in to a game as massce favourites then it's always harder to concentrate and play your best. Conversly, when we were keek last year, we played well against the OF as we were up for it and knew what we had to do. See point A again as to how that worked against us.

All in all, we won 3 zip and could have scored more had it not been for greedyness, poor touches and a general lack of concentration. If we plays these characers again outwith the cup enviroment, we'd beat them handsomely.

CB_NO3
10-01-2010, 03:40 AM
3-0 up today, a player takes a bad touch then fans starting booing, get a grip, some folk need to have a look at themselves. We are Hibs not Real Madrid. Ok we were not at our best today but we won 3-0 all be it against a junior team, but these junior teams have a massive point to prove in the cup against an SPL team. Havant and Waterloovile took the lead against Liverpool twice in the cup a few seasons ago. Exeter drew with Man Utd at Old Trafford a few years ago and took them back to St James's Park were Man Utd only won 1-0 in the reply. Get over it folk, we are in the next round. :greengrin

tony higgins
10-01-2010, 07:00 AM
mental patients out on a day trip.

Well they do come from Ayrshire.

:dizzy:

WindyMiller
10-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks, I'm glad I amuse you. Care to elaborate on which specific part took the biscuit?

Certainly; the underlined.

Hogg had his third appalling game in a row.
He's never a Captain.
He has no aggression.
IMHO,of course.
Hope this helps.

bigwheel
10-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Aye, and you'll be back posting on message boards where you might get a response within a week :wink: ..... Enjoy your fitba

Saorsa
10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Through tae the next round and that's what counts at the end of the day, other than that it was crap.

Rankin :bitchy: Nish :bitchy:

Meddaheroes1973
10-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Have now watched the highlights back and my view is pretty much the same even without the beer goggles. All in all a very decent performance from my team. Took the game to you for the first 20-25 mins and really unlucky not to have took at least one of our chances. The one McGinty hit off the post just after Riordan scored really deserved a goal. The second goal just before HT killed it as a contest.

The second half we pretty much chased shadows but the move involving Strain, Turner and Barr which Richie put over with 5mins to go was one of the best of the match.

Hibs thoroughly deserved to progress but that was always gonna be the case. All Medda fans hoped for a bit of history but we knew in all likliehood it was never gonna happen.

Disappointed in a couple of the songs sang especially in second half, but there is always a chance of a tie like this getting hijacked by non-Medda fans. Those songs have no place at our club and never have. They are never sung at any of our normal games. Don't condone it in the slightest but not going to let it tarnish my memory of what was a fantastic, historical day for my club.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Barney McGrew
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Disappointed in a couple of the songs sang especially in second half, but there is always a chance of a tie like this getting hijacked by non-Medda fans. Those songs have no place at our club and never have. They are never sung at any of our normal games. Don't condone it in the slightest but not going to let it tarnish my memory of what was a fantastic, historical day for my club

So still no reply from you on what 'sectarian' songs the Hibs support were singing then?

hibiedude
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
At the end of the day we are in the next round and that was our main aim. But lets not forget we were playing Junior side Irvine Meadow in the Scottish Cup and we almost fielded our strongest team.

We struggled at times and some will say that this was Irvine Meadows biggest game in there history and we were on a hiding to nothing because we are the SPL team are were expected to win.

It's not my intention to slate our team for reaching the next round but we seem to lack the killer touch and with Stokes, R01rdan an Co that is worrying when we were playing a Junior side.

We sit 3rd in the league and our aim is European football next season there seems to be players that are being played out of position and it clearly shows.

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Haven't read this whole thread but I can't believe some of the stick being dished out, especially to Hogg, Rankin and Nish!

Hogg IMO was MOTM by a country mile (as did the sponsors). In the 1st half he saved us from going behind on several occasions. Rankin and Nish put in more effort than anyone and dug in to get the result when it looked like we were going to stuggle. Guys like Rirdan and Stokes in particular were awful. Deek has been awful for weeks yet never gets any stick from the Nish/Rankin/Hogg haters!

Another thing that annoys me....why does Benji, a non-trying waster, who does not want to be here and who is as much a wage thief as Kingston at the PBS, gets a great reception and his name chanted when he comes on yet Nish, admitedly with less ability but who is much more effective IMO, tries like a bear every week, is "one of us" and is truely honoured to play for the club gets sickening abuse both from the stands and on here?

hibsbollah
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Another thing that annoys me....why does Benji, a non-trying waster, who does not want to be here and who is as much a wage theif as Kingston at the PBS, gets a great reception and his name chanted when he comes on yet Nish, admitedly with less ability but who is much more effective IMO, tries like a bear every week, is "one of us" and is truely honoured to play for the club gets sickening abuse both from the stands and on here?

Benji, like it or not (and you obviously don't), has already saved us 4 points this season against St Mirren and Kilmarnock with two sub appearances. Considering the amount of pitchtime he's been given id say hes having quite a good season, unlike Colin.

col02
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Benji, like it or not (and you obviously don't), has already saved us 4 points this season against St Mirren and Kilmarnock with two sub appearances. Considering the amount of pitchtime he's been given id say hes having quite a good season, unlike Colin.

Nish has created more than a few goals too as well as proving his worth at defending set plays in our own box. If the pitches are too bumpy and soft for some players why is this reasoning not used for all players? Some of our smaller players whom the conditions at the moment should suit rather than taller players looked like they have been running in glue the past few weeks.

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Colin Nish was on a great run of form until the Huns game (when everyone was poor) including a MOTM performance at Pitodrie a few weeks ago. I'm guessing you weren't there to witness that 3 point winning performance from him. I'm sorry but it's the same old story from SOME Hibs fans who have the favourite scape goats and can't see beyond them.

millarco
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Hogg had his third appalling game in a row.
He's never a Captain.
He has no aggression.
IMHO,of course.
Hope this helps.

I suppose it's all about opinions, but that is nonsense IMO. I have no idea what was so appalling about his performance yesterday. His reading of the game was good, allowing him to sweep up behind the other defenders. There were several occassions were Hogg was the last line of defence and made a good challenge to prevent a goalscoring opportunity. He was aggressive in attacking the ball both in the air and on the deck; anticipating things well and stopping them from building up any pressure. I'm not saying he was great, but a massive improvement on his previous couple of performances and for me the best player in green and white.

Hogg for me was one of two candidates for the captaincy in the summer, with Murray being the other. McBride could perhaps be considered in time, but aside from that we have very few leaders. Hogg has good communication skills both on and off the park, and is a perfect role model in terms of lifestyle and professionalism. Murray still offers the same committed performances every week regardless, so I don't really see what the big deal is. Though I'm pretty sure if you thought my first post was bad you're certainly not going to like this one. :greengrin

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I suppose it's all about opinions, but that is nonsense IMO. I have no idea what was so appalling about his performance yesterday. His reading of the game was good, allowing him to sweep up behind the other defenders. There were several occassions were Hogg was the last line of defence and made a good challenge to prevent a goalscoring opportunity. He was aggressive in attacking the ball both in the air and on the deck; anticipating things well and stopping them from building up any pressure. I'm not saying he was great, but a massive improvement on his previous couple of performances and for me the best player in green and white.

Hogg for me was one of two candidates for the captaincy in the summer, with Murray being the other. McBride could perhaps be considered in time, but aside from that we have very few leaders. Hogg has good communication skills both on and off the park, and is a perfect role model in terms of lifestyle and professionalism. Murray still offers the same committed performances every week regardless, so I don't really see what the big deal is. Though I'm pretty sure if you thought my first post was bad you're certainly not going to like this one. :greengrin

hibsbollah
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Colin Nish was on a great run of form until the Huns game (when everyone was poor) including a MOTM performance at Pitodrie a few weeks ago. I'm guessing you weren't there to witness that 3 point winning performance from him. I'm sorry but it's the same old story from SOME Hibs fans who have the favourite scape goats and can't see beyond them.

...exactly what you were just doing with Benji:confused:

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
...exactly what you were just doing with Benji:confused:

No, I'm not making him a scapegoat. I'm qestioning why he gets more support than Nish when, for the reasons I gave, he doesn't deserve it. Also, I'm not shouting sickeneing abuse at him like was happening to Nish yesterday (and every week). Big difference there.

hibsbollah
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
No, I'm not making him a scapegoat. I'm qestioning why he gets more support than Nish when, for the reasons I gave, he doesn't deserve it. Also, I'm not shouting sickeneing abuse at him like was happening to Nish yesterday (and every week). Big difference there.

No. You said Benji is a a 'non-trying waster' and a 'wage thief' and then you started accusing other fans of scapegoating players.:cool2:

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 11:05 AM
No. You said Benji is a a 'non-trying waster' and a 'wage thief' and then you started accusing other fans of scapegoating players.:cool2:

He is! However, I am not dishing out sickening abuse to him am I. I'm giving an opinion.

Do you really feel that Benji is more deserving of support than Nish?

hibsbollah
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
He is! However, I am not dishing out sickening abuse to him am I. I'm giving an opinion.

Do you really feel that Benji is more deserving of support than Nish?

Every player is deserving of support, unless he does a Kevin Thomson. Benji has done more this season to merit it than Nish, but thats just my opinion. Your opinion of Benji is based on nothing, also just in my opinion.

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Every player is deserving of support, unless he does a Kevin Thomson. Benji has done more this season to merit it than Nish, but thats just my opinion. Your opinion of Benji is based on nothing, also just in my opinion.

Eh? How is it based on nothing? My opinion on both is based on watching Hibs nearly every week.

I agree, all deserve support except those who don't try. However Nish, Hogg and Rankin (all of whom give 100% EVERY week) don't get it from a large section. In fact they get the opposite. That was my point before this turned into a Benji debate.

I could not disagree more about Benji doing more than Nish this season. I really have no idea how you could think that. Opinions eh!

basehibby
10-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Performances today:
On the pitch:
Hibs - Poor - some players - Rankin and Hogg in particular - had shockers and could hardly string a pass together (sponsors must have had their heads up their erchies to give Hogg MOM). Up front our forwards were more often than not far too greedy - hanging onto the ball in pursuit of personal glory when teammates were in space and begging for the ball :grr:.
Medda - Excelled themselves - made Hibs work hard for the victory and very unlucky not to score at least once- V Good

On the terraces:
Hibs - pathetic - virtually no "support" from the Hibs terraces - but plenty of moaning at every and any excuse :grr:.
Medda - Excelent - even if their pseudo-hun identity is painful, they cheered absolutely everything their team did, backed them to the hilt and shamed the Hibs support by outsinging us from start to finish.

It always bemuses me at these sort of fixtures - many Hibs fans seem to turn up with the attitude that anything less than 3-0 up in the first 10 minutes is a catastrophy. Certainly most Hibbys at ER on saturday seemed to have not the slightest intention of making any noise in SUPPORT of the team on the park - I dunno if they were all expecting a double figures doing or something, but if they did then they were deluded in their expectations IMO - Medda (one of the strongest junior sides) were always going to put everything into this game and Hibs, as most recent attendees would testify, have hardly been firing on all cylinders.

What resulted was not outwith my own expectations - Medda made it hard for us by working their socks off and responding to their noisy and enthusiastic support with a spirited performance. Hibs made hard work of things but our superior quality up front pulled us through comfortably in the end.

3-0 maybe flattered us - but only marginally. 3-1 or 4-2 would probably have been a fair reflection of the play. Result? Hibs in the next round - Hearts OUT - this Hibee??? Delighted :thumbsup:

sambajustice
10-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Irvine Meadow are horse manure. They couldnt string 3 passes together, I thought they were a hopeless outfit. The whole 2nd half was a total non event and eventhough the huns had a couple of shots they were never at the races against an utterly crap Hibs performance.

The sash singing supporters were as bad as the team. I dont buy this minority thing either, is this same "minority" that follow Rangers abroad and went to Manchester...

ancient hibee
10-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Haven't read this whole thread but I can't believe some of the stick being dished out, especially to Hogg, Rankin and Nish!

Hogg IMO was MOTM by a country mile (as did the sponsors). In the 1st half he saved us from going behind on several occasions. Rankin and Nish put in more effort than anyone and dug in to get the result when it looked like we were going to stuggle. Guys like Rirdan and Stokes in particular were awful. Deek has been awful for weeks yet never gets any stick from the Nish/Rankin/Hogg haters!

Another thing that annoys me....why does Benji, a non-trying waster, who does not want to be here and who is as much a wage thief as Kingston at the PBS, gets a great reception and his name chanted when he comes on yet Nish, admitedly with less ability but who is much more effective IMO, tries like a bear every week, is "one of us" and is truely honoured to play for the club gets sickening abuse both from the stands and on here?
Was the Riordan who was awful yesterday any relation to the Riordan who scored the first goal,put Stokes through to get to the byeline for the second and put through Hanlon for the third?

in-me-pocket
10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Eh? How is it based on nothing? My opinion on both is based on watching Hibs nearly every week.

I agree, all deserve support except those who don't try. However Nish, Hogg and Rankin (all of whom give 100% EVERY week) don't get it from a large section. In fact they get the opposite. That was my point before this turned into a Benji debate.

I could not disagree more about Benji doing more than Nish this season. I really have no idea how you could think that. Opinions eh!

I have to question your knowledge of football if you thought Rankin had a better game than Stokes yesterday. Get a grip. Rankin found his level, chasing junior shadows.

Cabbage1875
10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Every playeris deserving of support, unless he does a Kevin Thomson. Benji has done more this season to merit it than Nish, but thats just my opinion. Your opinion of Benji is based on nothing, also just in my opinion.
What on earth?

Judas Iscariot
10-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Pots n kettles boys.

:yawn:

I'm gutted your buses never broke down..

Please don't ever darken our cities doorstep ever again..

Throw backs from the middle ages..

jakedance
10-01-2010, 12:24 PM
My two cents.

A poor game and a poor Hibs performance but we're through (and Hearts are out) so I'm happy. Life's too short to be as critical as some are on here. We've got a very vocal minority of complete miseries. Third in the league and still in the cup isn't the end of the world.

A patronising round of applause to Irvine Meadow for a fine performance.

steakbake
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I have to question your knowledge of football if you thought Rankin had a better game than Stokes yesterday. Get a grip. Rankin found his level, chasing junior shadows.

Harsh.

Who do you think did have a good game yesterday?

Broken Gnome
10-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Despite it being a pretty awful team performance, I thought most Hibs showed enough class or talent to have a positive influence on the game. I'd struggle to name any moment that Rankin or Nish contributed anything even remotely above average.

Even if Hibs are no longer 'title contenders' or capable of reaching the level people perhaps thought possible, heightened ambitions tend to put a greater emphasis on realising what isn't good enough. Rankin and Nish should really never be any more than back-up....

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Was the Riordan who was awful yesterday any relation to the Riordan who scored the first goal,put Stokes through to get to the byeline for the second and put through Hanlon for the third?

Yip, the same one who scored a tap in (yes he was there to score, I realise this) and palyed a good pass to Stokes and Hanlon, who then ran a good 50 yards to score. That does not mean he had a good game IMO. I expect much more from our star player who has done very little the past few weeks (although I accept he is wasted out wide).

Frazerbob
10-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Question away.

Rankin HAS found his level.......Hibs. A good player who plays to capabilities most weeks and tries harder than anyone in the team IMO.

Cabbage1875
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Yip, the same one who scored a tap in (yes he was there to score, I realise this) and palyed a good pass to Stokes and Hanlon, who then ran a good 50 yards to score. That does not mean he had a good game IMO. I expect much more from our star player who has done very little the past few weeks (although I accept he is wasted out wide).
Completely agree with you on this point.

Question away.

Rankin HAS found his level.......Hibs. A good player who plays to capabilities most weeks and tries harder than anyone in the team IMO.
Completely disagree with this. Rankin should be nowhere near a Hibs starting XI for me. Anyone can go and run about like a headless chicken for 90 minutes; take pot shots from 30 yards at every opportunity and struggle to find green jerseys with passes. Not good enough.

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
My two cents.

A poor game and a poor Hibs performance but we're through (and Hearts are out) so I'm happy. Life's too short to be as critical as some are on here. We've got a very vocal minority of complete miseries. Third in the league and still in the cup isn't the end of the world.

A patronising round of applause to Irvine Meadow for a fine performance.

I can do better than that: I thought those plucky lads from Ayrshire put up a jolly good show, and their supporters brought a wonderful, fun-packed, carnival atmosphere to ER, with their rousing rendition of those fetching and highly original folk ditties of medieval Irish politics we've all come to know and love over the years.

So well done, IM.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Pots n kettles boys.

Thats why every single song(other than the repeated spl-yer havin a laugh :yawn:) was sectarian!!!?? Can you prove to us ur not a bunch of sectarian hun wannabes??? NO! Can we all prove that you are??? YES! Maybe you dont stand in your public parks infront of 200 locals every Saturday blasting out Derry's walls(as that would be ridiculous!)but when a decent number of uz were together and uz had your moment on the big stage your true colours came out!! And it wasn't pretty! And it CERTAINLY was not a minority. I was close enough to u lot to hear and SEE all ur wee mouths moving. I thought your team played well yesterday and your reputation amongst some Hibs fans will have improved, however your fans embarrased themselves imho. I also see theres still not any examples of our 'East Cowshed Sectarian Songs' that we were supposedly singing back! Thats coz there were none...and sitting in this cowshed each home game I think im in a better position to judge.

Albanian Hibs
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Irvine Meadow are horse manure. They couldnt string 3 passes together, I thought they were a hopeless outfit. The whole 2nd half was a total non event and eventhough the huns had a couple of shots they were never at the races against an utterly crap Hibs performance.

The sash singing supporters were as bad as the team. I dont buy this minority thing either, is this same "minority" that follow Rangers abroad and went to Manchester...

:yawn:

I'm gutted your buses never broke down..

Please don't ever darken our cities doorstep ever again..

Throw backs from the middle ages..

in-me-pocket
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Harsh.

Who do you think did have a good game yesterday?

The only ones who I thought had a "good" games were Stokes, Miller and Cregg.

Passmarks only for Murray and Hogg.

With the exception of Rankin and Nish, the rest huffed and puffed.

Rankin and Nish are just not good enough, first division players (at best)

Ed De Gramo
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Thought it was brutal!

For the first 30 mins I actually wondered which team were the Junior team.

Too many players looked like they wanted to be elsewhere: Zouma & Deek being two of them.

Hanlon, Nish & Rankin all had very poor games (Hanlon scored a good goal, but he awful at LB)

All credit to IM's players and the couple of hundred proper fans, they had a few great chances...but never was it a penalty.

A wins a win but if we played as sluggish as that in the SPL, we'd have been soundly beaten.

Anyhoo, bring on the Arabs :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
10-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Haven't seen this discussed on here, so someone settle it for me, purlease....

Did IM use four subs yesterday? Only three were announced and subject to the big board with lights on it, but I (and those around me) definitely counted four.

Or, are 4 allowed in the Cup?

Or, did I dream it all?

NaeTechnoHibby
10-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Haven't seen this discussed on here, so someone settle it for me, purlease....

Did IM use four subs yesterday? Only three were announced and subject to the big board with lights on it, but I (and those around me) definitely counted four.

Or, are 4 allowed in the Cup?

Or, did I dream it all?

They used 3 subs and BTW Hogg was brill yesterday, nae complaints from the FFL when he was announced MOTM :agree: (And he has some detractors in there :bitchy: )

He covered Wotherspoon and Hanlon all day :thumbsup:

I thought they were good fo 30 minutes and I was sad we took our fot of the gas in the second half :boo hoo:

Need to do better IMO

basehibby
10-01-2010, 06:46 PM
They used 3 subs and BTW Hogg was brill yesterday, nae complaints from the FFL when he was announced MOTM :agree: (And he has some detractors in there :bitchy: )

I thought they were good fo 30 minutes and I was sad we took our fot of the gas in the second half :boo hoo:

Need to do better IMO

:confused: Funny how differently folk watching the same game can see things. I am not at all what you would call a Hoggy basher but I thought he made some bad mistakes against what was after all non-league opposition (poor passing and caught doddling on the ball). He looked somehow lacking in confidence and I'm amazed he was voted MOM.

MOM for me was Ian Murray who defended well throughout - organising his teammates while making no potentially costly errors that I can recall. Similarly, Rankin had a poor game for me - struggling to find a Hibs jersey for the whole time he was on the pitch! Cregg did a lot better when he came on IMO - time he was given a good run of games if you ask me.

MSK
10-01-2010, 06:52 PM
:confused: Funny how differently folk watching the same game can see things. I am not at all what you would call a Hoggy basher but I thought he made some bad mistakes against what was after all non-league opposition (poor passing and caught doddling on the ball). He looked somehow lacking in confidence and I'm amazed he was voted MOM.

MOM for me was Ian Murray who defended well throughout - organising his teammates while making no potentially costly errors that I can recall. Similarly, Rankin had a poor game for me - struggling to find a Hibs jersey for the whole time he was on the pitch! Cregg did a lot better when he came on IMO - time he was given a good run of games if you ask me.Hogg made a few timely tackles...i wouldnt give him MOM though, he was decent but no more than that, Murray to me was MOM simply because he showed more guts & determination than anyone else in a hibs shirt ...

Luna_Asylum
10-01-2010, 08:28 PM

agreed benji is a wage thief and waster cos he is not one of us

Crab apple
10-01-2010, 09:11 PM
In fairness, Hanlon like a lot of young lads, plays some blinding games, then chucks in the odd horror show. I would personally like to see him groomed in to a centre half for us but if he has games like today when his touch is so bad, he gets caught in possession or makes lots of stray passes, we'll lose goals. Being the fickle fannys we are, he'll get slaughtered for this.

Our CBs see alot of the ball and, regardless of how good a tackler or defender he is, if he can't control the ball or pass it, it won't work.

As I said earlier I just felt this would have been a good game to have played him in his more natural position of CB. He did well to recover from the mauling he had against Barca when played FB for almost the whole game by Mixu. Shame Yogi is still using him there. Hopefully the transfer window will allow this position to be better filled.

greenlex
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
agreed benji is a wage thief and waster cos he is not one of us
Eh? Explain yerself please. :confused:

LancashireHibby
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Hogg was pretty strong in the tackle, but he needed to be because on more than one occasion they were a result of him giving the ball away etc.

Far too many players who just weren't concentrating though, the prime example being Stokes' final touch when he was clean through on goal late on. Would hope that had that been a league he'd have scored, but was pretty indicative of the careless nature of the entire team's performance.

Think it's time Deeks got a run up the middle of the park as well.

hiberactive
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Need to do better IMO
:faf:-surely you meant brutal instea of brill?

KerPlunk
11-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Despite it being a pretty awful team performance, I thought most Hibs showed enough class or talent to have a positive influence on the game. I'd struggle to name any moment that Rankin or Nish contributed anything even remotely above average.

Even if Hibs are no longer 'title contenders' or capable of reaching the level people perhaps thought possible, heightened ambitions tend to put a greater emphasis on realising what isn't good enough. Rankin and Nish should really never be any more than back-up....

I had to use my opera glasses :cool2: to check that Nish wasn't wearing clown shoes.

BSEJVT
11-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Hogg was pretty strong in the tackle, but he needed to be because on more than one occasion they were a result of him giving the ball away etc.

Far too many players who just weren't concentrating though, the prime example being Stokes' final touch when he was clean through on goal late on. Would hope that had that been a league he'd have scored, but was pretty indicative of the careless nature of the entire team's performance.

Think it's time Deeks got a run up the middle of the park as well.

These are words that I never thought I would read in the same sentance!

"Hogg and strong in the tackle"

Not IMO Hogg stands off and bounces off more folk in tackles than any other centre half I have ever seen in 40 odd years!

Murray and strong in the tackle yes. Hogg not for me

Dinkydoo
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Thought we had a pretty poor game at the weekend and full credit to IM. What a scare they gave me in the first half.

Saying that after we scored the second I didn't see them getting back into the game at all.

3rd in the league, still in the cup and Hearts are out.

It's good to be a hibby at the moment :greengrin :notworthy:

Lucius Apuleius
11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Stas kinda indicate we were a bit better than them.

60%-40% possession
14-3 shots on target

etc etc. OK I had man flu and never went so never saw it however we are in the next round and I really really have passed the point where I care if we play flair football or not. If we win ugly every week then I am a happy man.

GGTHH

Isaac_Refvik
11-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Agree with you in part but 2 of the goals started with decent play by Nish. He had a poor game otherwise, but who didn't? My other gripe is the praise Wotherspoon is getting. I thought defensively he was very poor on Saturday, leaving his man on numerous occasions and getting caught in no-man's land, and his passing has been dreadful in the past 3 games. He's good driving forward but IMO he has a lot to learn at RB. Thought Hogg recovered well, normally from his own mistakes. Opinions eh?

marinello59
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Agree with you in part but 2 of the goals started with decent play by Nish. He had a poor game otherwise, but who didn't? My other gripe is the praise Wotherspoon is getting. I thought defensively he was very poor on Saturday, leaving his man on numerous occasions and getting caught in no-man's land, and his passing has been dreadful in the past 3 games. He's good driving forward but IMO he has a lot to learn at RB. Thought Hogg recovered well, normally from his own mistakes. Opinions eh?

You do realise how young Wotherspoon is? Of course he has a lot to learn. It is remarkable how quickly he became an ever present in this team. How many of us had heard of him before this year? He is bound to suffer a dip in form at some point this season, still a fantastic prospect though.

Green_one
11-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Interesting lack of agreement on who was good etc. Here is my tuppence worth

Game - poor. Medda made some chances but I never felt at all worried. Certainly NOT a penalty.

Fans - Hibs predictably quiet. Medda went down in my estimation. I was very positive to them going to the ground but less so since. No friends made.

Players - front three were poor. Deek should have been able to boss their defence. The chances missed by all 3 strikers were v poor. Wotherpoon did v well in the first half, Ian Murray was my MOM and Miller did OK. Nice goal by Hanlon. The guy along from me kept shouting - Bring on Nish - and I could see his point. Zemmama lost the ball constantly in bad positions. Rankin is frankly a continuing disappointment. Hogg made several mistakes.

Overall - we are through and have another 'easy' tie. Good enough.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Bore off with your sanctimonious Junior fitba pash. It is football that closer resembles rugby.

Your team worked hard, but all this stuff about bossing was complete nonsense - the gap was enormous, as illustrated by the fact that we were gash and still beat your team by a huge and comfortable margin.

Im sure there was a large element of Huns infiltrating your support, but the facts remain that your fans came across as a bunch of mini-hun tramps who were all jaked-up because they were visiting the Capital.

Its a shame for the real Medow fans who probably want nothing to do with these Huns, but in future if you dont want your team being characterised as a bunch of inbred, small minded bigots, then leave them at home and just take the few hundred tickets that would satisfy your real supporters' demand.

Baw187
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Bore off with your sanctimonious Junior fitba pash. It is football that closer resembles rugby.

Your team worked hard, but all this stuff about bossing was complete nonsense - the gap was enormous, as illustrated by the fact that we were gash and still beat your team by a huge and comfortable margin.

Im sure there was a large element of Huns infiltrating your support, but the facts remain that your fans came across as a bunch of mini-hun tramps who were all jaked-up because they were visiting the Capital.

Its a shame for the real Medow fans who probably want nothing to do with these Huns, but in future if you dont want your team being characterised as a bunch of inbred, small minded bigots, then leave them at home and just take the few hundred tickets that would satisfy your real supporters' demand.

Isaac_Refvik
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
You do realise how young Wotherspoon is? Of course he has a lot to learn. It is remarkable how quickly he became an ever present in this team. How many of us had heard of him before this year? He is bound to suffer a dip in form at some point this season, still a fantastic prospect though.

I was waiting for the 'but he's only young' argument. Doesn't matter what age you are, if you don't play well you have to be be big enough to take criticism. As I stated he's very good pushing forward, I just think he's playing out of position and is a weakness defensively if the last 3 games are anything to go by. Watch Saturdays game and see how often he leaves his man in acres of space. Haven't got a problem if he's played right-midfield and he gets his passing together.

ancient hibee
11-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I was waiting for the 'but he's only young' argument. Doesn't matter what age you are, if you don't play well you have to be be big enough to take criticism. As I stated he's very good pushing forward, I just think he's playing out of position and is a weakness defensively if the last 3 games are anything to go by. Watch Saturdays game and see how often he leaves his man in acres of space. Haven't got a problem if he's played right-midfield and he gets his passing together.
Good job he laid on the first goal then?

sleeping giant
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM

:tee hee:

snooky
11-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Excellent point. I followed the local Junior team for a few seasons. One year when had a good cup run,all the lowlifes came out the woodwork and caused a bit of bother at the later ties. Never saw them again after the team went out of the cup.
More than likely the same scenerio applied on Saturday.

It would be nice to hear what a regular Medda supporter thinks/thought of their recent glory-hunting, part time, travelling fans. :hmmm:

Isaac_Refvik
12-01-2010, 07:57 AM

and that would be when he was going forward.

Speedway
12-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Never were Richey, never were. Agree with you on the Rankin/Nish assessment however.

Question away.

I'll try harder than anyone else in the team, play to my capabilities and guarantee that I'll still be the pishist player on the park (including Maka). Do I get a jersey on that basis?

Completely agree with you on this point.

Completely disagree with this. Rankin should be nowhere near a Hibs starting XI for me. Anyone can go and run about like a headless chicken for 90 minutes; take pot shots from 30 yards at every opportunity and struggle to find green jerseys with passes. Not good enough.

Ultimately, I think that, had we not have scored the goals we did, we ran the risk of heading for a replay on Saturday.

Baw187
12-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Ultimately, I think that, had we not have scored the goals we did, we ran the risk of heading for a replay on Saturday.

No risk involved - If we hadn't scored the goals we did, it would have been 0-0 and we'd have definitely had a replay. :cool2: