PDA

View Full Version : Our Cup Jinx: Is It In The Hector Nicol Song?

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
In GGTTH, performed by Hector Nicol, the immortal lines go: '...I dinnae want tae brag, I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag. We're gonny top the league next year and carry home the flag...'

Of course, it goes without saying that since that song was written, we've won neither the Scottish Cup nor the League flag.

Interestingly, the song doesn't mention the League Cup, which we've won three times since Hector recorded this classic.

More interestingly still, the Yams b-side to Hector Nicol's great work, doesn't mention the Scottish Cup at all, which they've won twice* since the song came out. But it fascinatingly does state that: 'we've won the League flag and we've won the League Cup', both of which they've failed to do, since the song appeared.

Perhaps we can get round this by claiming our 'dinnae want tae brag' line is meant ironically, like the Yams do with their self-deprecating 'wee fitba team' line in HHGH. Of course, when they say 'wee team', they mean 'big team', obviously. That might rid us of the jinx, in the same way that embracing the 'big team' mantle has helped them win the CL, sign World Cup stars and be on a par with Real Madrid in their new 40,000 all seater stadium.

Or should we change the line to something like: 'and now we've got a younger team, I'm awfay sad tae say, it disnae look as if the Scottish Cup will come our way, the in-built financial advantages of Rantic make the flag un-like-i-lay...'

I think if we did this we'd be a stick-on for the double.

* The 'Pub Team' final where Hearts won on penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time against the now-defunct Gretna counts as a genuine SC win, apparently.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Interesting observation, my dear Robert.

However, to save time and effort, could we not just sing "We're sheeeite, and we know we are" every single game?

Could this rally the troops and march us onto an unprecedented treble?

snooky
09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
To address the Hector Nicol song jinx, we should have signed Davie Dodds.
The first line of "There is a bonnie fitbaw team ..... " would have immediately ridiculed the song as a whole thus getting the SC albatross off our back.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
.................... Or should we change the line to something like: 'and now we've got a younger team, I'm awfay sad tae say, it disnae look as if the Scottish Cup will come our way, the in-built financial advantages of Rantic make the flag un-like-i-lay...'

I think if we did this we'd be a stick-on for the double............

:thumbsup:

Just to be safe, perhaps we should also have the Proclaimers singing "P**sing Down Over Leith (as usual)".

Bobo
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
In GGTTH, performed by Hector Nicol, the immortal lines go: '...I dinnae want tae brag, I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag. We're gonny top the league next year and carry home the flag...'

Of course, it goes without saying that since that song was written, we've won neither the Scottish Cup nor the League flag.

Interestingly, the song doesn't mention the League Cup, which we've won three times since Hector recorded this classic.

Interesting observation Bob but the lack of success lifting the Holy Grail unfortunately extends to many a year prior to the release of Hector Nicol's recording of GGTTH so it can't soley be blamed on that.

The Gypsy curse and other such stories as the removal of the Harp and such likes have been mentioned for years but who really knows the cause?

I think that the Club Officials, Players, Staff and supporters of Hibernian need to all be more positive about lifting the SC instead of continually dwelling each year on just how long it's been since we lifted the bloody thing... we should leave that to the media and the Yams to get their kicks out of.

With combined positivity from everyone I'm sure we as a club can change our fortunes and put an end to it all?

Singing different lyrics to GGTTH could be something to look at or maybe a re-recording by the Proclaimers (B-Side Sunshine on Leith) might change our fortunes, I'm all for anything that might make a difference, but we have to end all the superstition.

Our time will come, I'm sure of it, I just hope it's sooner rather that later.

:scarf:

--------
09-01-2010, 11:00 AM

More interestingly still, the Yams b-side to Hector Nicol's great work, doesn't mention the Scottish Cup at all, which they've won twice* since the song came out. But it fascinatingly does state that: 'we've won the League flag and we've won the League Cup', both of which they've failed to do, since the song appeared.

Perhaps we can get round this by claiming our 'dinnae want tae brag' line is meant ironically, like the Yams do with their self-deprecating 'wee fitba team' line in HHGH. Of course, when they say 'wee team', they mean 'big team', obviously. That might rid us of the jinx, in the same way that embracing the 'big team' mantle has helped them win the CL, sign World Cup stars and be on a par with Real Madrid in their new 40,000 all seater stadium.

Or should we change the line to something like: 'and now we've got a younger team, I'm awfay sad tae say, it disnae look as if the Scottish Cup will come our way, the in-built financial advantages of Rantic make the flag un-like-i-lay...'

I think if we did this we'd be a stick-on for the double.

* The 'Pub Team' final where Hearts won on penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time against the now-defunct Gretna counts as a genuine SC win, apparently.

I'd be delighted if we just lost that horrible recording for good, Bob.

Not the song itself but the way Nicol sings it just makes me cringe. Nicol was a very strong contender for the title of Unfunniest Scottish Comedian in History - I'm old enough to remember him and he fully deserved to be tarred and feathered for what he perpetrated under the guise of 'entertainment'. Why we continue to play that ghastly recording at our games totally escapes me.

A re-recording omitting that stupid verse about the Scottish Cup and League and without so much of the hoots-mon flavouring? Actually, looking again at the words, I think we need to lose the rotten thing altogether. Consign it to history. :grr:

Rant over. :devil:

Toaods
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
interesting observation and could well have some significant foundation to it.

To draw a line from your other thread about 'most inappropriately dressed person' at today's game, I usually dress to the left but in a desperate attempt to see the Scottish Cup in the bag, I'm going to switch sides for today.

Can't think of any helpful suggestions as to which the ladies could participate.... :cool2:

ginger_rice
09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
The Gypsy curse and other such stories as the removal of the Harp and such likes have been mentioned for years but who really knows the cause?
:

The curse is the excuse I always use it normally is followed right afterwards with " I have a feeling this is going to be our year" :scarf:

--------
09-01-2010, 12:03 PM
interesting observation and could well have some significant foundation to it.

To draw a line from your other thread about 'most inappropriately dressed person' at today's game, I usually dress to the left but in a desperate attempt to see the Scottish Cup in the bag, I'm going to switch sides for today.

Can't think of any helpful suggestions as to which the ladies could participate.... :cool2:

More information than anyone needs or wants, there, old man. :rolleyes: