PDA

View Full Version : who was released too early ?

brydekirk
09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
players we should have given more time at hibs;

kirk broadfoot.

paul hartley.

sunshine1875
09-01-2010, 07:42 AM

kirk broadfoot.

paul hartley.

Craig Brewster

H18sry
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Deeks, Scott Brown, Fletch, Whitty, Murph and Garry 'O' Imagine the team we would have now. :greengrin

Titch
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Lee griffiths (sp)

ronaldo7
09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke everyone knows his name:thumbsup:

Hakim Sar
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
No I don't go along with kirk broadfoot, who IMO has only come to the spotlight because rangers took him on and he is severely limited but useful as doesn't make mistakes. He has no market value and I don't think you could really sell him on to recoup all the wages back.

good thread tho mate. did we not release darren dods??

G15 Hibs
09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
No I don't go along with kirk broadfoot, who IMO has only come to the spotlight because rangers took him on and he is severely limited but useful as doesn't make mistakes. He has no market value and I don't think you could really sell him on to recoup all the wages back.

Not entirely sure about this, but I thought Dods chose to leave when we were relegated.

MontrealHibs
09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Steven Dobbie

Stevie Crawford

MontrealHibs
09-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Not entirely sure about this, but I thought Dods chose to leave when we were relegated.

I think your right, I think Willie Miller done the same.

Grizz
09-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Think that could've been Tweed, but could be wrong.

WindyMiller
09-01-2010, 08:04 AM

kirk broadfoot.

paul hartley.

Broadfoot was still v.young and didn't want to live away from home, so we releasd him from his contract.

Hartley was crap, as he'd also been at previous clubs.

PaulSmith
09-01-2010, 08:08 AM

Yes he did exactly that and to be honest I've never rated him. Unable to pass a ball 10 yards

hibsfan7
09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Gordon strachan

Beefster
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Correct. Both scarpered when we were relegated.

G15 Hibs
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM

Tweed had left a couple of years before

Alicky Ranks
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Billy Stark gets the credit for moving Hartley into midfield at St Johnstone where he blossomed late in his career. He was a largely ineffective winger at Hibs.

Broadfoot? Is he actually that good?

Crawford? First Division player who only looked good in the SPL thanks to Brewster playing alongside him at Dunfermline. The only way he could score was if the ball was played perfectly into his path for him to run on to and hit first time. Ask him to round the keeper and he'd almost always take it too wide thanks to a clumsy first touch.

There was a lad 'Coco' McDonald who I liked for the youth team in the early 90s who we released and he went on to do quite well for Falkirk for a while, but by and large very few players we have released (as opposed to selling) have gone on to really blossom elsewhere.

It's the likes of Strachan and Robertson who we could have signed but failed to that you could say were definitely released too early.

Winston Ingram
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
John Robertson

GlesgaeHibby
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Are you suggesting that releasing Darren Dods was a mistake?

Dods has got to be one of the worst Centre Halves I've seen in the SPL.

emmjayfox
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Graeme Rix.:agree:

soupy
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Konte:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Graeme Rix.:agree:

Beat me to it!

Wee Airdrie Jambo (Whenever it happens, it'll still be the case.)

Anybody agree?

mad giraffe
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM

broadfoot is no loss. players like him are ten a penny.

dodds jumped ship when we were sinking. stuff him.

i do agree with hartley. always thought we never got best out of him.

PISTOL1875
09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Felipe Morais...

woody47
09-01-2010, 10:29 AM

kirk broadfoot.
paul hartley.

You're having a laugh. He is pure shoi te.

erin go bragh
09-01-2010, 10:31 AM
willie miller was forced out[he didnt want to leave us]
he didnt want to bad mouth hibs in the papers ,so he said nothing.
the reason i no this is i met willie at a mates birthday and when i spoke to him about doing the dirty on us he told me the above.
he spoke very highly of alex miller[even though he got rid of him]

tamig
09-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Correct. Both scarpered when we were relegated.

And Stuart McCaffrey.

tamig
09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

kirk broadfoot.

paul hartley.

Stuart Lovell could have given us a few more good seasons. Don't think McLeish/RP did enough to keep him.

cocopops1875
09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

jumped ship :agree:

heidtheba
09-01-2010, 10:45 AM

I think Dods went at the same time as Dow and Miller...all due to relegation if I remember correctly.

Hakim Sar
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Are you suggesting that releasing Darren Dods was a mistake?

Dods has got to be one of the worst Centre Halves I've seen in the SPL.

I was only asking if he had been released (ie as a young laddie)

Scott bannerman lol oh waaaaait but he's p!sh aswell???

I knooooow

holyrood hibbie
09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
David Grof

eezyrider
09-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Mickaël Antoine-Curier. I thought he was doing fine until he seemed to fall out of favour with Mixu.

EZ

holyrood hibbie
09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Mickaël Antoine-Curier. I thought he was doing fine until he seemed to fall out of favour with Mixu.

EZ

Agreed scoring for fun in first division and for Hamilton

eezyrider
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezyrider View Post

EZ

Agreed scoring for fun in first division and for Hamilton

He was scoring around a goal a game in Norway before he came here. And if I recall did he not score about 5 goals in a friendly against Livingston on one of his first appearances?

EZ

Pretty Boy
09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
We really missed Stuart Lovell when he left, i think a lot of fans failed to appreciate him until he was gone.

Stephen Dobbie could have been a player if he had the work ethic to get himself in shape.

Not really expecting too much support on this one but i think Andy McNeill was worth another contract and then putting him on a season long loan to get games and rebuild his confidence. I'm sure there was a really good goalkeeper in there.

holyrood hibbie
09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Andy Murray before he became a tennis player

McD
09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
We really missed Stuart Lovell when he left, i think a lot of fans failed to appreciate him until he was gone.

Stephen Dobbie could have been a player if he had the work ethic to get himself in shape.

Not really expecting too much support on this one but i think Andy McNeill was worth another contract and then putting him on a season long loan to get games and rebuild his confidence. I'm sure there was a really good goalkeeper in there.

Agree about dobbie, the laddie could def play, 2 footed, sharp fitba brain. Also think he suffered a bit coz we had plenty talented strikers at the time, GOC, mcmanus, scott brown was playing up front at the time, deek was coming thru.

Im sure there was a pic in one of the papers talking abt hibs new Famus Five forward line coz of the laddies (I know I've only got 4 above, cant remember who the other one was lol)

:greengrin

TrinityHibs
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Ivan Sproule

Baader
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Danny Lennon

heidtheba
09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Danny Lennon

Was just about to post that! I remember seeing him play a blinder at ER against Aberdeen late 94 or early 95. Think he scored in that game too. I seem to remeber lots of people thinking he was a pre-deal swap/sweetner because we were interested in Raiths Peter Heatherstone (or was it Paul?)

Also think we could have kept McCluskey a bit longer as he seemed to do really well when he first got into the first team at 16.

Also - Suazee as manager.

Coco Bryce
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Broadfoot was still v.young and didn't want to live away from home, so we releasd him from his contract.

Hartley was crap, as he'd also been at previous clubs.

Broadfoot was sacked by Hibs for punching a fellow player in training.

Can't remember the guy's name but last I heard he was now playing for Inverness

killie-hibby
09-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Gordon Smith;Bobby Johnstone;Jackie Plenderleith;Joe Baker; Johnny McLeod;David Gibson;Jim Scott;Ronnie Simpson;Gordon Durie;Willie Hamilton;Peter Cormack; Alex Cropley; Pat StantonPeter Marinello;John McNamee;John Collins.;John Blackley and Des Bremner. More recently O,Conner,Brown et al.
Apoligies to the OP for a slight detour from players relesed before being able to establish themselves with Hibs.

'Mon the Hibs
09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
John Hughes

Why did he leave and go to Ayr? Can't remember much of him when he played for us, but was our captain and a solid defender from what I do remember,

hibztilltheend
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
paddy deane :agree:

anyone know if he has found a new club?

tooley
09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

JUMPED SHIP WHEN WE WENT DOWN:grr:

Speedway
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Janos Matyus, a strong commanding left back.

HibbyAndy
09-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Latapy.

Jonnyboy
09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Colin McNeill

Allant1981
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
John Hughes

Why did he leave and go to Ayr? Can't remember much of him when he played for us, but was our captain and a solid defender from what I do remember,

Seem to recall it was mcleish who let him go

bob12345
10-01-2010, 01:27 AM
doumbe

Hibs On Tour
10-01-2010, 02:17 AM

Def on your bus re Andy McNeil. Good keeper who we [i.e. Hibs fans] destroyed through not giving him the same leeway we had previously with muppets like Zibi. Shame IMHO.

Paddy Deane another poster asked - dunno where he is now but he played as a triallist with Montrose [where AM is keeper] back in October...

.Sean.
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Fabian Yantorno

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Antoine-Curier. :greengrin