PDA

View Full Version : Travel and weather assessment - game ON

hibee_girl
08-01-2010, 04:56 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/active-nation-scottish-cup-20100108_2262950_1927433

Mikey
08-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Good to get some early communication about this. Can't see it being a problem tomorrow though.

DaveF
08-01-2010, 05:01 PM
"A final travel weather assessment will take place before 10am on Saturday morning in case there is a significant deterioration in the weather overnight."

Don't think there is any significant snow forecast, so it should all be OK. (apart from the freezing cold temps!)

CapitalHibs
08-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Final travel and weather assesment before 10am tomorrow

:wtf: 10am????

Calgary Hibs will have the game thread well started before then:greengrin

HibeeMcGinn1
08-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Final travel and weather assesment before 10am tomorrow

:wtf: 10am????

Calgary Hibs will have the game thread well started before then:greengrin

Best thread in a while :)

Frazerbob
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
At what point does it become too cold to play football? Can't be good for the health to be running around in shorts and a t-shirt in -20 tempratures! Not to mention sitting watching it.

lapsedhibee
08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
At what point does it become too cold to play football? Can't be good for the health to be running around in shorts and a t-shirt in -20 tempratures! Not to mention sitting watching it.

Be interesting to see if the Medda boys wear tights.

Toaods
08-01-2010, 06:07 PM

I was in my external garage wearing only a T-shirt and jeans whilst hunting for a packet of frozen veg...:bitchy:.

Anyway, point is I was only out around 3 or 4 mins and was absolutely baltic, now we all want the game to be played as long as 'we' (all fans) are OK but truth be told there has to be a point where it can't be condusive to satisfactory conditions for what is a physically demanding performance.

Graham Smith or at least one linesman is likely to be bordering on frostbite.

even if it doesn't snow overnight, if the temperatures are around -5 or less when the games due to be played, I'd rather the game was cancelled regardless of when it will be replayed.

Mikey
08-01-2010, 06:10 PM

They will.

But they'll change into their football kit before the game :devil:

oconnors_strip
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
trains are running on a reduced timetable so best to check before travelling

as for supporters being cold...wear layers and plenty of them!!!!!!!!!!! and get cheering the team on by shouting, clapping and bouncing. all this will heat you up:greengrin

HIBEES 4 LIFE
08-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Their forward Brian Mcginty probably will. He wore them in the last round and it wasn't even that cold.

NAE NOOKIE
08-01-2010, 06:43 PM
It's lunacy. It's - 8 just now which is what it's likely to be by the end of the match.

Couldnt agree more with that.

I hav'nt had the car on the road since Tuesday and have just spent about 40 mins digging it out for tomorrow. I have no doubt that the road between Gala and Edinburgh will be Tom Kite.

My pal and his wee boy have season tickets, but his lad aint going because it would be unfair to let a kid under 7 sit in sub zero conditions for 2 hours. How many other dads are of the same opinion for tomorrow?

And lets not forget the Irvine Meadow supporters. Its a big match for them, but why should the be expected to risk possible damage to their cars or themselves to see it?

I will be there tomorrow because I dont want to let anybody down, but if truth be told I think that to have the game on shows a total disregard for the supporters of Irvine Meadow and those Hibbies who live outside of Edinburgh.

Dont get me wrong. I hate to see matches cancelled, but this one is crying out for it.

:bitchy:

hibee_girl
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I know the BBC aren't known for getting the weather correct but on the off chance that they are it's to be -4 at 3pm tomorrow - http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5 and we're due some more snow

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
We've got undersoil heating so the pitch should be fine - if we cancel this week due to the temperature, who's to say it'll be fine next week or the week after?

We could end the season in July if we start cancelling games 'cos it's a wee bit cold.

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
We've got undersoil heating so the pitch should be fine - if we cancel this week due to the temperature, who's to say it'll be fine next week or the week after?

We could end the season in July if we start cancelling games 'cos it's a wee bit cold.

Yes. Lets get on with it.

James70
08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
My car hasn't been on the road since New Years Day and is well blocked in by snow. Rather than spend up to an hour digging it out then braving the roads up from the Borders I was going to get the bus. I have now discovered there were no buses running to Edinburgh yesterday and only four today. Not sure now whether to risk getting stuck in town on Saturday night if First Bus decides to cancel all the evening services. I've already missed the last two home games but at least I was able to watch them on tv. I'm a bit gutted as I bought the cup top-up.

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Interesting that the Huns-Accies game ON SUNDAY has already been given the go-ahead, after it was in 'severe doubt' yesterday. Obviously somebody from Sky put a call into the vigilant, impartial police force today. Perhaps a nice backhander landed on someone's desk.

Jamesie
08-01-2010, 07:35 PM

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/information/outdoor.htm

Jamesie
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Interesting that the Huns-Accies game ON SUNDAY has already been given the go-ahead, after it was in 'severe doubt' yesterday. Obviously somebody from Sky put a call into the vigilant, impartial police force today. Perhaps a nice backhander landed on someone's desk.

No doubt thrashed out in the Lodge.

Leithenhibby
08-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I was in my external garage wearing only a T-shirt and jeans whilst hunting for a packet of frozen veg...:bitchy:.

Anyway, point is I was only out around 3 or 4 mins and was absolutely baltic, now we all want the game to be played as long as 'we' (all fans) are OK but truth be told there has to be a point where it can't be condusive to satisfactory conditions for what is a physically demanding performance.

Graham Smith or at least one linesman is likely to be bordering on frostbite.

even if it doesn't snow overnight, if the temperatures are around -5 or less when the games due to be played, I'd rather the game was cancelled regardless of when it will be replayed.

:agree: It will be baltic watching this one....
I'm thinking with the other games being off, may just watch the highlights at night. Should be a good 10-15 mins with a wee sherry..:cool2:

But on the other hand John will be on the phone at 10 sharp..."whats happening, what time you picking me up" :greengrin

JoeT_WasTheBest
08-01-2010, 07:55 PM

As Ronald Reagan once said, "there you go again" :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 07:57 PM
As Ronald Reagan once said, "there you go again" :wink:

Was he the guy that hated folk that never gave an opinion? :wink:

JoeT_WasTheBest
08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Was he the guy that hated folk that never gave an opinion? :wink:

Not sure. Think he didn't mind people that gave decent opinions :wink:

LancashireHibby
08-01-2010, 08:28 PM
May or may not have to work tomorrow but if I don't have to then I'm seriously tempted to go to the game, anyone know how things are looking at the moment?

greenlex
08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
May or may not have to work tomorrow but if I don't have to then I'm seriously tempted to go to the game, anyone know how things are looking at the moment?
No chance the game will be off. Its ok now an there is no snow forecast just bitterly cold. Come on up.

greenlex
08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
It's snowing
Wasn't forecast
There's snow and there's snow!!!!

brog
08-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Couldnt agree more with that.

I hav'nt had the car on the road since Tuesday and have just spent about 40 mins digging it out for tomorrow. I have no doubt that the road between Gala and Edinburgh will be Tom Kite.

My pal and his wee boy have season tickets, but his lad aint going because it would be unfair to let a kid under 7 sit in sub zero conditions for 2 hours. How many other dads are of the same opinion for tomorrow?

And lets not forget the Irvine Meadow supporters. Its a big match for them, but why should the be expected to risk possible damage to their cars or themselves to see it?

I will be there tomorrow because I dont want to let anybody down, but if truth be told I think that to have the game on shows a total disregard for the supporters of Irvine Meadow and those Hibbies who live outside of Edinburgh.

Dont get me wrong. I hate to see matches cancelled, but this one is crying out for it.

:bitchy:

Well I'm a Hibby who lives 400 miles outside Edinburgh & I definitely want the game on because I'm on a flight ( hopefully ) at 9.45 tomorrow morn. Remember, if game is postponed it will be played at night & that's much more likely to be considerably more inconvenient for the great majority of fans. It's also likely to be colder! From memory it was -7 when we stuffed Yams 3-0 in Millennium derby, bring it on!!!

Jamesie
08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Ah, sorry, this is white stuff falling from the sky

Where are you?

hibbyinlivvy
08-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Well it's just started belting down heavily with snow in Livingston.Hope it dosen't spread eastward!!:bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Where are you?

Sounds like it could be Colombia.

Removed
08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Well it's just started belting down heavily with snow in Livingston.Hope it dosen't spread eastward!!

:bitchy: Just looked out the window 5 mins ago and it was fine.Whiteout now :grr: :grr: :grr:

LancashireHibby
08-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Not what I wanted to read.

Billy
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
:bitchy: Just looked out the window 5 mins ago and it was fine.Whiteout now :grr: :grr: :grr:

I'm only a few miles away and nothing here :dunno:

I must live on Lucky street as I don't think it's snowed here for ages, 90% of the roads and paths are clear as well. Just waiting for the wash in the car to defrost so that I can clean my windscreen :greengrin (anyone got any ideas on how to speed this up?)

Removed
08-01-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm only a few miles away and nothing here :dunno:

I must live on Lucky street as I don't think it's snowed here for ages, 90% of the roads and paths are clear as well. Just waiting for the wash in the car to defrost so that I can clean my windscreen :greengrin (anyone got any ideas on how to speed this up?)

Stopped now

I'm_cabbaged
09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Snowing quite heavily in Moredun, from my "vantage point" I can normally see right down the east coast, can't see Craigmillar. Looks as if it's going to get really heavy. :boo hoo:

ArabHibee
09-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Nothing up here since last Saturday and guess what. Has snowed during the night and its still on but not heavy. :grr:

I'm raging!!:grr:

Believe its been quite heavy in Fife, can anyone confirm?

hibernian tv
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Game On (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/game-on-20100109_2262950_1921517)

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 08:43 AM
It is snowing but not exactly belting it down. Might be tricky to get in from out of town, but that was true before the Huns game.

random sub
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Game On (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/game-on-20100109_2262950_1921517)

Snowing on Easter Road now.

Saorsa
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Game On (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/game-on-20100109_2262950_1921517):top marks

Keith_M
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm in the centre of Edinburgh just now and there's only really light snow falling. I can't see the game being canceled for that.

The temperature is -4, so I'd wrap up really warm for the game.

I hope the transport situation is OK for everybody that has to travel some distance. I understand the Number 1 Bus is still running so at least I'm fine :wink:

PC Stamp
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/game-on-20100109_2262950_1921517

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
-icially scheduled for a decision very soon.

Fingers crossed.

(Sorry about the above. One rose full of mischief this morning!)

ArabHibee
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
:grr: You cannae help yourself can you?

:greengrin

Gatecrasher
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Car!

GAME ON:notworthy:

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not risking life and limb, just for a bloody football match. Rediculous decision.

Westie1875
09-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Snow pretty heavy at ER just now, hopefully its just a shower.

hibee_girl
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Really heavy snow here now

Hibs7
Snowing now on London Rd not heavy but lying on the ground and falling steadily, may have to review this game on decision if this continues for a few hours !!! Getting heavier as I type .

Dashing Bob S
I'm not risking life and limb, just for a bloody football match. Rediculous decision.

If you can do it for a woman, BH...

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Snow pretty heavy at ER just now, hopefully its just a shower.

The undersoil will melt it on impact, so no problem with the pitch. The polis have made their assessment re the approaches to the ground and that won't be changed per the SFA diktat of "no late postponements".

A wee bit of snow will make it easier to grip the frozen pavements.

:duck:

hibee_girl
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
The undersoil will melt it on impact, the game will be on. They've made the assessment re the approaches to the ground and that won't be changed per the SFA diktat of "no late postponements".

It is a problem when you can't see the other side of the stadium because of the snow though :wink:

Tony1962
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
The undersoil will melt it on impact, the game will be on. They've made the assessment re the approaches to the ground and that won't be changed per the SFA diktat of "no late postponements".

Snowing heavy in newton village right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

susieq
09-01-2010, 09:03 AM
On Easter road, it was clear this morning, 7am, but it's now snowing quite heavy and lying :-(

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Its a blizzard now in Leith, coming down in sheets!

Steve20
09-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Just shows the met office don't have a clue. There forecast had said no snow until early hours of Sunday morning.

GlesgaeHibby
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
It's snowing pretty heavily down here in Port Seton just now too.

Seems a bit of a crazy decision to have game on when so many people have to make a long journey to get to the game, especially our visitors today.

Weather forecast is for freezing fog around about 5/6pm with very poor visibility. Could be a nightmare for getting home.

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Easing off already

:wink:

Leithenhibby
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Just shows the met office don't have a clue. There forecast had said no snow until early hours of Sunday morning.

Thats a bit unfair :wink: the weather has never been off the TV / Radio :cool2: got to the stage, too many weather reports :grr:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Edinburgh

Mag7
09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Very surprised to hear the game is on. Reckon we could see less than 5,000 there today.

Looking out the window now and I think it could yet get called off.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
If we're three down with ten minutes to go we can always insist on an abandonment.......................

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Easing off already

:wink:

Not down in Leith it ain't!

Brando7
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Working just off Greater Junction Street n it coming down hard here

No way this game should be going ahead if it continues

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Very surprised to hear the game is on.

Why?

Pitch is playable

Roads are passable

Areas around the ground itself are okay

Today's snow is the first since Tuesday

Reckon we could see less than 5,000 there today.

With 2,000+ visitors?

:hmmm:

Look at the ground, not the sky.

H18sry
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Very surprised to hear the game is on. Reckon we could see less than 5,000 :wtf:there today.

You smoking something :smokin there will be more than double that number there, Irvine have sold 2,000 tickets, we have 10,000+ season ticket holders, which I'd imagine more than half have cup top up's. :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
You smoking something :smokin there will be more than double that number there Irvine have sold 2,000 tickets we have 10,000+ season ticket holders which I'd imagine more than half have cup top up's. :agree:

The attendance for the Brechin game was 7,000 and that was with bugger all away support.

Some people here really need to man up. Fair enough if there was 4+ inches laying outside, but in reality it's only a dusting.

sambajustice
09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Away Strips for the Hibees today then...?:greengrin

sambajustice
09-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Car!

GAME ON:notworthy:

LOL :top marks

Albanian Hibs
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
It's still snowing up here in Craigour. Will be getting the bus down to ER today so it better be on.

bingo70
09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
The attendance for the Brechin game was 7,000 and that was with bugger all away support.

Some people here really need to man up. Fair enough if there was 4+ inches laying outside, but in reality it's only a dusting.

:agree:

This is why orange baws were invented.

Leithenhibby
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Glorious sunshine in the borders...:thumbsup: With blue skys..

Unfortunately the game is in leith..:wink:

sambajustice
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I think this could yet get called off.

The games can be called off at any time, as highlighted by the Hamilton United match a couple of weeks ago and the United Huns match that started then got called off.

If it is stays like this then there's a visibility issue. THen there's a safety of the fans in the stadium, folk will be slipping all over the shop "gaun radge" when we score yet another goal! The casualties will soon mount up!

Mind also, we're right beside the water so further inland its going to be absolutely brutal!

Golden Bear
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM

And the pitches were heated by braziers and covered with straw for added protection.

Maybe motherwell should try it.

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I think this could yet get called off.

The games can be called off at any time, as highlighted by the Hamilton United match a couple of weeks ago and the United Huns match that started then got called off.

If it is stays like this then there's a visibility issue. THen there's a safety of the fans in the stadium, folk will be slipping all over the shop "gaun radge" when we score yet another goal! The casualties will soon mount up!

Mind also, we're right beside the water so further inland its going to be absolutely brutal!

It has stopped snowing now. Only a dusting on the ground. Perfect visibility.

:cool2:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Snows stopped, suns out, and its a balmy -1'c

Quit yer moanin and get tae the fitba........! :greengrin

sambajustice
09-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Its still going strong in Queensferry!! I might no get out of here!!

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM

"No comment" - James Calderwood.

Leithenhibby
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Its still going strong in Queensferry!! I might no get out of here!!

Stop yur moaning :greengrin The roads look fine.:wink:

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Clear in Leith now but ominous black cloud heading over from Fife way :bitchy:

bournehibby
09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
There's only one person who can give the definitive view...

Where are you Calgary ? :wink:

bh

woody47
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Snowing quite heavy here in Bo'ness :grr: but will still be there :thumbsup:

Removed
09-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Orange baw on pitch, blue baws in the crowd :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
09-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Orange baw on pitch, blue baws in the crowd :greengrin

Bigot!!!!!!

What about those of us with grey baws?

Sprouleflyer
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Bigot!!!!!!

What about those of us with grey baws?

Just for Men should sort that out!!!

hibiedude
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Snowing in Livi AGAIN

Hibs7
09-01-2010, 10:58 AM
sunny and bright at ER:thumbsup:

Big_D
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Snowing in Livi AGAIN

VERY heavy in Glenrothes

Gatecrasher
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Just arrived at er and now in the nip unless there is a huge blizzard this game is on :thumbsup:

the roads and pavements around the stadium are in good condition

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Someone has been playing silly buggers with Bombay Bob. He sent me a text last night, saying he had a spare ticket for the train, i did not see the text until this morning, too late to take his offer up, and he gave it to warringtonhibs. He text me earlier saying the games off. I asked him how far he'd got, and he said he managed to get off at carlisle.:faf: Someone is going to get a right good slap.:greengrin

BoltonHibee
09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Someone has been playing silly buggers with Bombay Bob. He sent me a text last night, saying he had a spare ticket for the train, i did not see the text until this morning, too late to take his offer up, and he gave it to warringtonhibs. He text me earlier saying the games off. I asked him how far he'd got, and he said he managed to get off at carlisle.:faf: Someone is going to get a right good slap.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2010, 12:43 PM

You didn't? :confused::devil:

Keith_M
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Sitting in wee Internet Cafe at the top of ER and don't know what all the fuss is about the weather. There's actually patches of blue sky just now, it's reasonably mild and the roads are no problem whatsoever.

BoltonHibee
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
You didn't? :confused::devil:

I thought he was with Hun Joe:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Just for Men should sort that out!!!

:agree: I tried Grecian 2000 but it expired 10 years ago.