PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Africa (Togo Team Bus Attacked)

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 04:07 PM
BBC Reporting that the bus carrying Togo Football team has been attacked with Machine Guns en route to Angola. That's Adebeyor's team I believe.

Hibernian Verse
08-01-2010, 04:15 PM
What the hell.

Littlest Hobo
08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Just like driving through Glesga :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
08-01-2010, 04:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8449319.stm

Hibernian Verse
08-01-2010, 04:20 PM
"The identities of the wounded players are not known. There are unconfirmed reports of serious injuries."

Toaods
08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I watched a business report on BLOOMBERG channel earlier today in which they were covering the CAN and how they believe the Angola competition will be a disaster.

The hotel prices are £400/night despite the average daily wage being £2.

local people are generally very poor and the prices are high.

The main point I picked up on was this:

"Angola will be hosting some games at an area which is the other side of Congo, who will not allow access by road due to disputes over ownership of the territory therefore the only way you can get there is by air."

I assume the Togo team were granted permission to travel by road and some of the local heiders are none too pleased.

I love the African football but most teams and fans are extremely volatile so expect anything over the next couple of weeks.

Thegreenside
08-01-2010, 04:38 PM
driverr killed and 4 others injuired.

Barney McGrew
08-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Sky now reporting that the driver was killed and four others injured.

It looks unlikely that Togo will now take part in the ANC

PaulSmith
08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Sky now reporting that the driver was killed and four others injured.

It looks unlikely that Togo will now take part in the ANC

I'd be surprised if any team decides to stay

Barney McGrew
08-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Adebayor confirmed as NOT injured in the attack

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd be surprised if any team decides to stay

:pray: Get Bamba the hell out of there.

matty_f
08-01-2010, 04:53 PM

:agree:

Get everyone out of there.

Absolutely nae point putting people's lives at risk for the sake of football.

Part/Time Supporter
08-01-2010, 04:54 PM
It did seem a particularly nutty choice of host nation. A bit like UEFA awarding a Euros to Bosnia.

DC_Hibs
08-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote - "Togo's first game is to be played on Monday in oil-rich Cabinda where rebels have been fighting for independence"

Absolute lunacy.

Frazerbob
08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
BBC reporting that Ivory Coast are to be based in the same area as this attack.

Toaods
08-01-2010, 04:59 PM

sorted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18mg9-TFMnQ

erin-go-bragh87
08-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Get everyone out of there.

Absolutely nae point putting people's lives at risk for the sake of football.

Totally agree. Although most of us act like it on here, me included, football isn't life or death and I think that if people are gonna die because of it they should just cancel the competition.

Toaods
08-01-2010, 05:05 PM
It did seem a particularly nutty choice of host nation. A bit like UEFA awarding a Euros to Bosnia.

(cough) : Oil and Diamonds...:wink:

CapitalHibs
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/01/08/SOCCER_Togo.html

Sounds really bad!

Woody1985
08-01-2010, 05:34 PM
FFS. Shocking.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I always thought Angola was prefixed by the words "war-torn"?

Interesting fact(or not): they speak Portuguese there as they do in Macau and Mozambique.

MWHIBBIES
08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Women drivers ehhh.

Cocaine&Caviar
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Interesting fact(or not): they speak Portuguese there as they do in Macau and Mozambique.

Angola was a Portuguese overseas territory (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Portuguese_West_Africa) from the 16th century to 1975 (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/1975). After independence, Angola was the scene of an intense civil war from 1975 to 2002 (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Angolan_Civil_War).

Judas Iscariot
08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Mental..

The African FA are nearly as stupid as the GFA :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
08-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Angola was a Portuguese overseas territory (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Portuguese_West_Africa) from the 16th century to 1975 (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/1975). After independence, Angola was the scene of an intense civil war from 1975 to 2002 (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Angolan_Civil_War).

Eu sei :wink::greengrin

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
sorted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18mg9-TFMnQ

Genius. Great to see Coiln Murdoch and Bamba's meeting of minds. :top marks

Sergey
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Pfft, this is nothing more than your run-of-the-mill black-on-black shootings that occur every other day in London Town.

Hiber-nation
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Pfft, this is nothing more than your run-of-the-mill black-on-black shootings that occur every other day in London Town.

WTF :confused:

hibsdaft
08-01-2010, 08:44 PM

my brothers father in law (Portuguese) fought over there. horrible affair by all accounts.

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 09:28 PM
A really stupid P.C. choice of venue. Always going to end in tears. There is only so much sense in placing high visibility events in 3rd world venues. Yes you want to see these places develop, but at the same time, you have to ask about the viability of place like Southern Africa and Brazil as hosts in these hostile times.:agree:

hibsbollah
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
A really stupid P.C. choice of venue. Always going to end in tears. There is only so much sense in placing high visibility events in 3rd world venues. Yes you want to see these places develop, but at the same time, you have to ask about the viability of place like Southern Africa and Brazil as hosts in these hostile times.:agree:

Good luck in trying to hold an African Cup of Nations in a non-Third World country:confused:

Todays attack was an act of terrorism, which can happen anywhere in the world.

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Good luck in trying to hold an African Cup of Nations in a non-Third World country:confused:

Todays attack was an act of terrorism, which can happen anywhere in the world.

Well they are holding the World Cup in one so lets hope for the best eh? Personally I think it up to African Nations where they hold their Nations Cup. There are far more stable countries than Angola to try and hold it in. Personally I would hope they can secure the safety of the players and fans first before they worry about how trendy the venue is.

hibsbollah
08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Well they are holding the World Cup in one so lets hope for the best eh? Personally I think it up to African Nations where they hold their Nations Cup. There are far more stable countries than Angola to try and hold it in. Personally I would hope they can secure the safety of the players and fans first before they worry about how trendy the venue is.

Is Angola trendy?

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Is Angola trendy?

Yes it is in Metro circles around the world. They have Meerkats don't you know!

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Is Angola trendy?

How the **** do you think they got the ACN in the first place? Ecomonics???? :grr:

hibsbollah
08-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Fair enough. I'll bear that in mind next time i'm tempted to do some clothes shopping abroad:thumbsup:

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Fair enough. I'll bear that in mind next time i'm tempted to do some clothes shopping abroad:thumbsup:

:confused:

Sas_The_Hibby
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Considering all of Africa is generally considered part of the third world, where exactly do you suggest the African Cup Of Nations should be held? :rolleyes:

Sas_The_Hibby
08-01-2010, 09:57 PM

As the war in Bosnia finished over 10 years ago, this is a bit like saying the Olympics shouldn't have been held in London in 1948 because of the Blitz!

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Considering all of Africa is generally considered part of the third world, where exactly do you suggest the African Cup Of Nations should be held? :rolleyes:

Yeah easy target. Some places are worse than others. Maybe you think Zimbabwe is a good choice or Sudan? Angola is little better.

hibsbollah
08-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I see Portsmouth are now demanding the FA act to 'bring home their boys':rolleyes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/08/portsmouth-togo-bus-attack
Watch as the big clubs use this as an excuse to totally overreact in order to get their players back home. I wonder if Kingston will be summoned back to Gorgie?:greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
08-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah easy target. Some places are worse than others. Maybe you think Zimbabwe is a good choice or Sudan? Angola is little better.

Where TF did I mention Zimbabwe or Sudan?

Do you actually know what "Third World" means? :confused:

Please respond to what I actually said or don't bother responding at all!!

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 10:06 PM

I was responding to Hibsbollah not you

hibsbollah
08-01-2010, 10:07 PM

I never mentioned Zimbabwe or Sudan either:confused:

Sas_The_Hibby
08-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Well, it's my quote you had in your post. :confused:

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I never mentioned Zimbabwe or Sudan either:confused:

Okay I mentioned it as alternative venues equally unsuitable as Angola. Sorry to confuse.

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Okay I mentioned it as alternative venues equally unsuitable as Angola. Sorry to confuse.

I was asking where you think is suitable in Africa? There are more peaceful places than Angola.

Toaods
08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Is Angola trendy?

it's not LA but the answer is yes....

http://www.cfr.org/publication/16820/

hibbie02
08-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Right I just re-read. You didn't mention them I did. I offered them as options equally bad as Angola. Yes I do know about Southern Africa as I worked there. Angola is no place to hold any international competition. Either is Zimbabwe or Sudan (yes I know it's not down there). For the record I have worked in Zimbabwe, South Africa and Namibia. I know what I am talking about. Clear?

Brando7
09-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Mental news

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2800864/Gunmen-fire-at-Togo-footballers.html

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Mental news

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2800864/Gunmen-fire-at-Togo-footballers.html

I have just seen some tv footage, and you can see how upset the players are. They cant continue in the tournament, and will surely pull out. I dont know about the other teams?

Part/Time Supporter
09-01-2010, 09:10 AM
As the war in Bosnia finished over 10 years ago, this is a bit like saying the Olympics shouldn't have been held in London in 1948 because of the Blitz!

I think you know that's a false comparison. There are still ethnic tensions and governance issues in Bosnia and Kosovo, even if there isn't all out warfare. There are very few countries (ie Sudan) that would have been a nuttier choice than Angola.

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
And some off the team are reluctant to play. Would never have happened in my day. Could you see the likes of Dennis Law, Kenny Dalglish or 'Braveheart' Colin Hendry being deterred by someone shooting off a few rounds of live ammo at them?

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Right I just re-read. You didn't mention them I did. I offered them as options equally bad as Angola. Yes I do know about Southern Africa as I worked there. Angola is no place to hold any international competition. Either is Zimbabwe or Sudan (yes I know it's not down there). For the record I have worked in Zimbabwe, South Africa and Namibia. I know what I am talking about. Clear?

Fair enough. I accept you will know much more about the area than I do. I was just confused by your initial post which seemed to suggest that the African Cup Of Nations shouldn't be held in a third world country, which didn't quite make sense.

Sorry if I got a wee bit snotty, but I WAS confused! (no, that's not code for "drunk"!! :greengrin)

Jack
09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
The African people live in tribal societies, imposing a [western] country system hasn’t worked and never will. [reference also the Middle East]

Stupid place to have the competition but I’m not sure anywhere south of the Sahara would have been safe and even some in the north are a bit, what shall we say, volatile.

South Africa for the World Cup – that’s not going to work either.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 09:38 AM
How localised is the trouble the Togo bus ran into? It was in the Cabinda region, where there has been an independence struggle and (for all I know) the rest of Angola is now relatively safe (or not!?).

I suppose I'm thinking that had there been a football tournament throughout the UK during the 'troubles', for example, there could have been problems in Northern Ireland, without that necessarily making the rest of the UK unsafe.

Angola is a much larger country and what happens in Cabinda may not be representative. Perhaps the bad decision, if there was one, was to have any games in Cabinda, as opposed to holding the tournament in Angola, as a whole.

However, I don't know enough about the country to have an informed opinion (as usual!! :wink:)

hibbie02
09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I think you know that's a false comparison. There are still ethnic tensions and governance issues in Bosnia and Kosovo, even if there isn't all out warfare. There are very few countries (ie Sudan) that would have been a nuttier choice than Angola.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
The African people live in tribal societies, imposing a [western] country system hasn’t worked and never will. [reference also the Middle East]

Stupid place to have the competition but I’m not sure anywhere south of the Sahara would have been safe and even some in the north are a bit, what shall we say, volatile.

South Africa for the World Cup – that’s not going to work either.

I have some sympathy with what you say about imposing external political systems but I don't really see what that has to do with the potential success of this year's World Cup.

Mexico 1970 was seen as a big risk but it worked fine, though it has to be said the brutal behaviour of the Mexican riot police, prior to the competition played a part in that! :grr:

hibsbollah
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I suppose I'm thinking that had there been a football tournament throughout the UK during the 'troubles', for example, there could have been problems in Northern Ireland, without that necessarily making the rest of the UK unsafe.

:agree:That would be my take on it as well. The media response and demands for the tournament to be cancelled seem totally OTT for what was (hopefully) an isolated incident. All this exaggeration about what a 'mad' place Angola is probably has a lot to do with European clubs being desperate to protect their assets.

If a republican terror group had attacked a team bus in a (hypothetical) tourney in Ireland, you'd be hearing all sorts of guff in the press about how the games have to be played so as 'not to let the terrorists win'.

hibbie02
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
:agree:That would be my take on it as well. The media response and demands for the tournament to be cancelled seem totally OTT for what was (hopefully) an isolated incident. All this exaggeration about what a 'mad' place Angola is probably has a lot to do with European clubs being desperate to protect their assets.

If a republican terror group had attacked a team bus in a (hypothetical) tourney in Ireland, you'd be hearing all sorts of guff in the press about how the games have to be played so as 'not to let the terrorists win'.

Lets all hope it was an isolated incident then......... Fingers crossed (in hope rather than expectation)

Sas_The_Hibby
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Fair comment about Bosnia and I suppose I was stretching the comparison a bit. :wink:

However, I'm not accusing you of this but it's easy for a country to continue to have an outdated and unfair reputation, based on history, recent or otherwise. I accept there are still serious issues in Bosnia and I have now resigned from their bid committee for the next Euro Championship! :greengrin

Hibs7
09-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Well that is a down right lie ................... you have never worked :wink:
Hapy new year 02

hibbie02
09-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Well that is a down right lie ................... you have never worked :wink:
Hapy new year 02

Someone had to have the Southern Africa Peg Selling Franchise!!! :wink:

And Hapy New Year to you to L.

hibsbollah
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Just announced, Togo to leave the ACN with immediate effect after a team meeting.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Togo have pulled out. They may well not be the last.

Woody1985
09-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Just announced, Togo to leave the ACN with immediate effect after a team meeting.

Can't blame them at all after seeing the footage of their reactions, not that it would have made a difference if I hadn't. Obviously the correct decision for their players.

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, of them refuse to play in Africa again or retire from the international set ups.

Toaods
09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
no surprise considering but from a purely footballing angle, one less game for Bamba and greater likelyhood of progession.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8449978.stm

hibsbollah
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Can't blame them at all after seeing the footage of their reactions, not that it would have made a difference if I hadn't. Obviously the correct decision for their players.

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, of them refuse to play in Africa again or retire from the international set ups.

Nope, cant blame them at all. I wouldnt expect to see any other teams leave unless there are more incidents though. Will Togos opponents just get a 3-0 walkover or something I wonder?

MyJo
09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
just been on sky news that one of the injured Togo players has died in hospital, no names given though.

matty_f
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
just been on sky news that one of the injured Togo players has died in hospital, no names given though.

:bitchy: That's brutal. They should pull the tournament. Why wait and see if it's an isolated incident? By the time they find out it wasn't isolated who knows what the cost will be?

superbam
09-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Im not sure whay they though it was a good idea to have one of the host cities in a province which is basically an annex of the country, completely seperated from mainland angola, where there is an ongoing seperatist rebellion.

hibiedude
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
:bitchy: That's brutal. They should pull the tournament. Why wait and see if it's an isolated incident? By the time they find out it wasn't isolated who knows what the cost will be?

Have to agree matty

Betty Boop
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I wonder why Togo decided to travel by road, when all the teams were advised to fly?

bringbackbenny
09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
still unconfirmed but reuters are reporting the togo keeper Kodjovi Obilale has allegedly died as a result of his wounds.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09012010/58/african-cup-nations-goalkeeper-dies-togo-gun-attack.html

Jim44
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
A part of me says you don't bow out to terrorism but I really feel the tournament should be at least postponed until further notice. I would also now question the wisdom of staging the World Cup in a highly volatile region of the world.

blackhibee
09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
The only place I could possibly think of that would have been an even worse choice would have been Somalia, but first and foremost should be sympathies to the families of the 4 people that have been killed. I love football, but it's only a sport, nothing more than that. Angola has been unstable for years, particularly the civil war between the MPLA and UNITA, and now this. IMO the competition should be abandoned this year, and I see Togo have issued a statement saying Ghana and the Ivory Coast are fully supportive of their position. These are 2 prolific countries in footballing terms in Africa, and if they were to pull out it would further undermine what is fast becoming a bit of a farce, as well as a tragedy.

hibiedude
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
This years World cup in South Africa is going to be interesting because there is already seroius questions being asked regarding security.

hibsdaft
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Grenoble’s Togolese international midfielder Alaixys Romao has spoken of Friday’s rebel attack on the coach carrying Togo’s national team to the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, which killed the team’s bus driver and left several members of the party injured.

The attack took place at the border crossing between Congo-Brazzaville, where Togo had been preparing for the tournament, and the Angolan enclave of Cabinda, the scene of much recent separatist movement.

One of the injured players is Kodjovi Obilale, goalkeeper with Pontivy in the CFA, the French fourth division. Pontivy president Philippe Le Mestre said Obilale was shot in the back.

"We threw ourselves to the ground"

Romao said: “Five minutes after going through customs and arriving in Cabinda, the first shots were fired. We threw ourselves to the ground, and the exchanges of fire intensified between our escort and those attacking us.

“My first instinct was to pray. What else could I do? Our driver collapsed and so our coach was stationary and under fire. A first soldier tried to get the bus started, but he didn’t know how to drive it and it took a second soldier to take the wheel to get us out of there with part of the military escort. It must have lasted more than five minutes.

"Could have been even worse"

“With regards to the Africa Cup of Nations, personally I’m in the mood to boycott the competition. We came here to play football and ended up being shot at. How do you want me to think about sport when I’ve got the image in my head of my team-mates in a bloodbath. Moreover, we’ve got the feeling that it could have been even worse.”

7Hero
09-01-2010, 04:18 PM

no it would be like them awarding it to the ukraine, bunch of f*****n animals that lot after burning scottish flags and attacking everyone including women on the trip.

hold on a minute, they did award it to ukraine...:grr:

Prof. Shaggy
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
This years World cup in South Africa is going to be interesting because there is already seroius questions being asked regarding security.

Why?
The Rugby World Cup (ok, not the same scale in media/visitor terms) was held in 1995 and passed without incident.
There are regular international cricket and rugby games and tournaments taking place throughout the year.
As widespread poverty hangs over from the Apartheid days, there is a problem in the country regarding crime and organised crime and there are parts of the country where visitors are unwise to venture. Hence the concerns over security. There is no political unrest in the country which is likely to take violent form.
Until yesterday, the most famous acts of terror at major sports events were at the olympic games in Munich and Atlanta. Neither of them the centre of noticeable unrest.

Wull
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM

been doon here nearly 30 years, u cannot compare Cabinda area or 99% of Angola with any area of SA. While I'm not saying the W Cup tournamant will be perfect, in terms of transport or "safety" u cannot compare the 2 tounaments. Actually I don think safety in the same terms as the Cabinda episode is of any real threat, I am more worried on the transport issue to be the biggest test of SA.
Fingers crossed:bye:

Wull

Woody1985
09-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Why?
The Rugby World Cup (ok, not the same scale in media/visitor terms) was held in 1995 and passed without incident.
There are regular international cricket and rugby games and tournaments taking place throughout the year.
As widespread poverty hangs over from the Apartheid days, there is a problem in the country regarding crime and organised crime and there are parts of the country where visitors are unwise to venture. Hence the concerns over security. There is no political unrest in the country which is likely to take violent form.
Until yesterday, the most famous acts of terror at major sports events were at the olympic games in Munich and Atlanta. Neither of them the centre of noticeable unrest.

I know a boy from SA and he moved away because of the violence and only goes back to see his family once every year or two.

He says that some daft tourists will get lost and take a wrong turn down a road and chances are they won't come back or they'll be robbed at the very minimum.

sunshine1875
10-01-2010, 07:31 AM

Now reporting that Togo 'will play in ACN'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8450421.stm

hibsbollah
10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Now reporting they won't play:confused:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8450529.stm

Wish Adebayor would make his mind up...

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
10-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Now reporting they won't play:confused:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8450529.stm

Wish Adebayor would make his mind up...

I wouldn't play in it. Trigger happy crazies at every turn, no thanks.