PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGraw

magpie1892
08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Quick question - what happened to this particularly disappointing striker?

I last saw him in 1995, what did he do after Hibs?

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Works in Tesco at Dalkeith, freezer aisle. Greg Miller is on the rotisserie chickens

magpie1892
08-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Helpful, thanks.

Saorsa
08-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Quick question - what happened to this particularly disappointing striker?

I last saw him in 1995, what did he do after Hibs?http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9184

magpie1892
08-01-2010, 01:42 PM
http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9184

Any idea what he's done since he stopped playing?

McSwanky
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Any idea what he's done since he stopped playing?

Works in Tesco at Dalkeith, freezer aisle. Greg Miller is on the rotisserie chickens.

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Works in Tesco at Dalkeith, freezer aisle. Greg Miller is on the rotisserie chickens

Yes, if you're going to contribute, please try and make it positive.

It's actually Sainsbury's and it's the meat counter.

--------
08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
According to Jim Jeffrey's 'Hibernian: the Players and Managers 1946-2009', Mark started at Morton when his dad Allan was boss, was signed by Alex Miller in February 1990. He suffered a serious ankle injury not long afterwards - badly torn ligaments. He was signed as a 'prospect' but the ankle damage ended all prospects of a decent career. He was 5 years at ER, then freed. he played briefly for Falkirk, Clyde, and a couple of other lower-division teams before jacking it in.

McSwanky
08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
According to Jim Jeffrey's 'Hibernian:the Players and Managers 1946-2009', Mark started at Morton when his dad Allan was boss, was signed by Alex Miller in February 1990. He suffered a serious ankle injury not long afterwards - badly torn ligaments. He was signed as a 'prospect' but the ankle damage ended all prospects of a decent career. He was 5 years at ER, then freed. he played briefly for Falkirk, Clyde, and a couple of other lower-division teams before jacking it in.

I think it's the next paragraph that talks about Tesco. IIRC he used to work for Willie Low's till it got taken over.

--------
08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I think it's the next paragraph that talks about Tesco. IIRC he used to work for Willie Low's till it got taken over.

I've no idea what he did after leaving football. I remember him getting starts at a number of smaller teams, trying to restart his career and failing.

IIRC he looked OK until his injury.

Hibernian Verse
08-01-2010, 02:05 PM
3 goals in 49 games? Is that better or worse than Nade as a %?

Aldo
08-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Hes a cop with L & B and works in Portobello.

Rattler
08-01-2010, 02:08 PM
One of L& B's finest!!!

--------
08-01-2010, 02:08 PM
3 goals in 49 games? Is that better or worse than Nade as a %?

Worse. But Nade's allegedly a striker. McGraw was IIRC a midfielder.

(Let's face it, everyone bar the goalie was a midfielder in Alex Miller's teams. :wink: )

magpie1892
08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Hes a cop with L & B and works in Portobello.

Cheers, appreciate it.

johnrebus
08-01-2010, 02:51 PM

There is no Tesco in Dalkeith.

:rolleyes:

McSwanky
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Aye there is.

Mag7
08-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Mark McGraw looked like he might have become a player during the first few games of the Skol Cup winning season and initially seemed set to replace Gareth Evans long-term as Keith Wright's strike partner, but the injury did him no favours. Whether it had a major impact on his career it's hard to say but I recall Liverpool were keeping tabs on him when we signed him so he was obviously held in some regard at that time.

Another young striker around that time who started well was Graeme Donald, who scored three in three games but then stopped scoring altogether until a few years later when he popped up with a winner against the Huns (by which time he was playing in defence IIRC).

By the way, is Gareth Evans still at Hibs?

mjhibby
08-01-2010, 04:30 PM

The store is actually called hardengreen tesco near dalkeith,just opposite dobbies and there is no ex hibs players working there.I think there was an x factor guy worked there many moons ago though if that counts.:greengrin

Bayern Bru
08-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Mark McGraw looked like he might have become a player during the first few games of the Skol Cup winning season and initially seemed set to replace Gareth Evans long-term as Keith Wright's strike partner, but the injury did him no favours. Whether it had a major impact on his career it's hard to say but I recall Liverpool were keeping tabs on him when we signed him so he was obviously held in some regard at that time.

Another young striker around that time who started well was Graeme Donald, who scored three in three games but then stopped scoring altogether until a few years later when he popped up with a winner against the Huns (by which time he was playing in defence IIRC).

Yep. Reserve team coach.

Franck is God
08-01-2010, 04:34 PM

McGraw was beginning to look a very good player, he was injured by a disgraceful challenge by David Moyes setting up a goal in a 3-0 home win against Dunfermline 3 weeks before the league cup final. It happened right in front of me, it was because of that injury that Evans got back into the team.

He had a lot of talent but was never the same when he came back which was a shame. If I had to compare him to another ex-Hibs player it would be Darren Jackson, maybe not as good but he was that style of striker.

ballengeich
08-01-2010, 04:36 PM

A fireman in Stirling last I heard. One of Lex's masterstrokes, turning a teenage goal machine into a defender.

CapitalHibs
08-01-2010, 04:44 PM
McGraw was beginning to look a very good player, he was injured by a disgraceful challenge by David Moyes setting up a goal in a 3-0 home win against Dunfermline 3 weeks before the league cup final. It happened right in front of me, it was because of that injury that Evans got back into the team.

He had a lot of talent but was never the same when he came back which was a shame. If I had to compare him to another ex-Hibs player it would be Darren Jackson, maybe not as good but he was that style of striker.

Didn't McGraw also get clattered by Andy Goram in the Skol Cup semi final, just before Mickey Weir crossed for Keith! Keith! to head the winner into the net?

Franck is God
08-01-2010, 04:44 PM
A fireman in Stirling last I heard. One of Lex's masterstrokes, turning a teenage goal machine into a defender.

Miller had a history of turning strikers/wingers into defenders.

Super Joe Tortolano was never a left back!

I hated Alex Miller and part of me always will.

Bob Box Fish
08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Definately a copper my mate worked with him and has played 5 a side with him- claims he is the best player he has ever seen at 5 a side and is unstoppable!!

Jamesie
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM

That was a good day. We were a goal down at half time and went on to win 2-1. I was about 12 at the time and had £1 on Rangers-Hibs HT-FT at 22/1. :thumbsup:

s.a.m
08-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Definately a copper my mate worked with him and has played 5 a side with him- claims he is the best player he has ever seen at 5 a side and is unstoppable!!

Think he was talking about Graham Donald.

Mag7
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
That was a good day. We were a goal down at half time and went on to win 2-1. I was about 12 at the time and had £1 on Rangers-Hibs HT-FT at 22/1. :thumbsup:

I think Jocky Scott was in charge that day. I also recall Laudrup being allowed to retake a penalty after Leighton saved it because one of our defenders encroached into the box. Leighton then saved the re-take too!

Oscar Lomax
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
The store is actually called hardengreen tesco near dalkeith,just opposite dobbies and there is no ex hibs players working there.I think there was an x factor guy worked there many moons ago though if that counts.:greengrin

Its opposite Mayshade Garden Centre actually and the store is in Eskbank, Dalkeith.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Keith "the teeth" fae Dalkeith?

ancient hibee
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Yep. Reserve team coach.
That's handy seeing there is no reserve team football.

Bayern Bru
08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
That's handy seeing there is no reserve team football.

Just going by what the official site says!
:cool2:

He could be used a strikers coach, no?
:greengrin

skipster7
08-01-2010, 07:21 PM

:agree:he was just forming a decent partnership with keith wright although i thought he was a little too lightweight.remember that tackle well, an absolute shocker.

fisherrowhibs
08-01-2010, 07:29 PM
i remember that day, did Keith score a hatrick in a 5-0 win?

weecounty hibby
08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
My memory is that it was a 4-0 win for Hibs but I'm sure it was Raymond Sharp who made the tackle on MM out on the touchline.

Kaiser1962
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Aye there is.

technically it's at Hardengreen which is Eskbank I believe. Or there might be another one acyually in Dalkeith that I have not seen yet.

sesoim
08-01-2010, 10:33 PM
technically it's at Hardengreen which is Eskbank I believe. Or there might be another one acyually in Dalkeith that I have not seen yet.

No, I stopped shopping in Dalkeith after Lidl replaced Tesco.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry guys, didnt mean to turn this into a Tesco debate. The store is indeed Hardengreen, Eskbank but the store is called 'Tesco Dalkeith' on till receipts and on the huge banner above the store. 'Keith the teeth' did indeed work in said store but iirc it was one of those Graham Norton shows, Joseph or something that he was in as opposed to X factor. I am aware that, again, none of this has anything to do with Mark McGraw.

Thinkin back to that era tho, I was really young but I remember Danny Lennon breaking thru and thinking he was gonna go on to greatness but it never quite happened for him either. I remember being at a home game against Aberdeen(i think) and we absolutely battered them but jst couldnt get a goal and then Lennon came on for half an hr or so and ran them absolutely ragged before scoring the only goal of the game(an absolute cracker!)in injury time. Think we had Hearts the next game and I was so excited at the thought of him tearing them to bits but i don't think he even got on! :boo hoo:

18/03/07
08-01-2010, 11:18 PM
D.Lennon got his leg broken in a reserve game against the yams when he was about 18 or 19 years old,i maybe wrong but i don't think he played much for us after that

heretoday
08-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Was Mark not the son of the great Allan McGraw? If that is the case then he has icon status.

hibsdaft
08-01-2010, 11:55 PM
i'm pretty sure MM was working at the gym at Edinburgh Airport Hilton four or five years ago .

CraigHibee
09-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Aye there is.

hardengreen :wink:

ANDY McGEECHAN
09-01-2010, 06:38 AM

That will be why it says TESCO DALKEITH above the entrance

vein
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
i remember that day, did Keith score a hatrick in a 5-0 win?

My memory is that it was a 4-0 win for Hibs but I'm sure it was Raymond Sharp who made the tackle on MM out on the touchline.

No idea who made the tackle but I was defenitley a 3-0 win, that was my first Hibs game. IIRC all goals came in the first half and I didnt see them until I watched them on Sportscene later that night as I was too wee to see from the teraccing :boo hoo:

johnrebus
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
That will be why it says TESCO DALKEITH above the entrance

Yes, yes, but is Blair Athol distillery in Blair Atholl?

Do Partick Thistle play in Partick?

Is the Spanish Riding School in Spain?

Tesco ' Dalkeith ', is in Hardengreen, Eskbank.

:na na:

ANDY McGEECHAN
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes, yes, but is Blair Athol distillery in Blair Atholl?

Do Partick Thistle play in Partick?

Is the Spanish Riding School in Spain?

Tesco ' Dalkeith ', is in Hardengreen, Eskbank.

:na na:
Eskbank which is in Dalketh.

joe t
09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
not sure if my memory of Mr McGraw is correct or not but was one of his three goals not against the 'tic when they were playing at Hampden?

If I am rambling nonsense please let me know!