PDA

View Full Version : summer football??? (merged)

07hibee
07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Surely with all the call offs and predicted call offs,the argument for summer football must be stronger than ever?

CB_NO3
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Its never going to happen, get over it. The SPL have ruled it out.

07hibee
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
what about other leagues and kids football,the amount of games kids miss is ubreal due to weather,surely this must have a knock on effect

CB_NO3
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
what about other leagues and kids football,the amount of games kids miss is ubreal due to weather,surely this must have a knock on effect
I totally agree with you about kids football, that should be played in the summer.

Dr What If?
07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
It could never work, all our best players would be at the world cu.....erm,

I watched an Argentian league game on 5 once, the referee had to keep stopping the game due to heat!!! Imagine playing in the blistering heat of a Scottish June!!! It would be a farce:grr:

07hibee
07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Its mental isnt it,surely thered be more fans at the games aswell,dont some countrys do it ,like norway and that?

HibbyAndy
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I dont want summer football.

That's IMO.

07hibee
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Why?

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
It could never work, all our best players would be at the world cu.....erm,

I watched an Argentian league game on 5 once, the referee had to keep stopping the game due to heat!!! Imagine playing in the blistering heat of a Scottish June!!! It would be a farce:grr:

:top marks:top marks:faf::faf:

07hibee
07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I dont want summer football.

That's IMO.
Why not?

HibbyAndy
07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Why not?

Cause i like the buzz of potential cancelations due to bad weather conditions.

I get a kick out of it.

07hibee
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Cause i like the buzz of potential cancelations due to bad weather conditions.

I get a kick out of it.

:faf:
Iye I suppose the new years day game and that are the best days round about xmas

CB_NO3
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I dont want summer foootball. My summer is all about going to different music festivals and weekends away between the end of June and the end of August. Plus I like going to the football in the winter, I like coming out of the cold, going into a warm pub having a cold pint. And if I was not going to football on a Saturday in the winter, I would probably be in the pub from say 1 in the afternoon till the end loosing lots of money in the bookies ( I aint shopping uptown on a Saturday).

HibbyAndy
07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
:faf:
Iye I suppose the new years day game and that are the best days round about xmas

:greengrin:wink:

hibsbollah
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I like the tradition. Scottish football is about being cold. Its character building. Next you'll be wanting to make it skilful:grr:

Kids football, I agree, should be played in the summer.

Removed
07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Surely with all the call offs and predicted call offs,the argument for summer football must be stronger than ever?

No, better stadia and councils doing their jobs properly and there wouldn't be any games postponed.

And then what happens in the summer when it pisses down for weeks and games are called off cos pitches are unplayable.

ronaldo7
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I totally agree with you about kids football, that should be played in the summer.

I like the tradition. Scottish football is about being cold. Its character building. Next you'll be wanting to make it skilful:grr:

Kids football, I agree, should be played in the summer.

Imagine us bringing up the bairns if they were to play their footie throughout the early years in the nice heat of the summer, only to find out when your older that your up at Arbroath on a Wednesday night in -7 degree cold.

I don't think we would keep many in the game:greengrin

hibsbollah
07-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Imagine us bringing up the bairns if they were to play their footie throughout the early years in the nice heat of the summer, only to find out when your older that your up at Arbroath on a Wednesday night in -7 degree cold.

I don't think we would keep many in the game:greengrin

shhhh just don't tell them:greengrin

sixtwo
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Summer football is a non starter for me. It would coincide with the major international tournaments.

I like things the way the are.

Did we not have a winter break a few years back and it was stopped?

We rarely get winters as bad as this. I can hardly recall the last time a game was called off at ER due to the weather.

There are rules regarding undersoil heating ehich are there to ensure games have a good chance of going ahead.

Besides, winter months are bleak and miserable enough. The only thing that keeps me sane in the winter is the football!:thumbsup:

PatHead
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
SPL have undertaken a survey which includes a question about Summer football. The link is Scotprem.com. Well worth completing with lots of interesting questions. Hope they dont ignore the fans views.

joebakerforever
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
If this type of weather was the norm for our winters, then alternatives would merit consideration.

However this one of the severest winters on record and is not typical.

As usual the wimps on here will use any excuse to promote Summer footy :devil:

07hibee
07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=joebakerforever;2301010]If this type of weather was the norm for our winters, then alternatives would merit consideration.

However this one of the severest winters on record and is not typical
As usual the wimps on here will use any excuse to promote Summer footy :devil:[/QUOE

Well I certainly seem to be in the minority here,I still think it would bring the standard of the game up a few notches though,im not a wimp by the way just
thinking outside the box:wink:

07hibee
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=sixtwo;2301002]Summer football is a non starter for me. It would coincide with the major international tournaments.

I like things the way the are.

Did we not have a winter break a few years back and it was stopped?

We rarely get winters as bad as this. I can hardly recall the last time a game was called off at ER due to the weather.

There are rules regarding undersoil heating ehich are there to ensure games have a good chance of going ahead

I dont mean just the SPL how many grounds in lower leagues have undersoil heating?

Alfred E Newman
07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Its mental isnt it,surely thered be more fans at the games aswell,dont some countrys do it ,like norway and that?

I think it was quoted last week that 22 out of 25 leagues in Europe play August to May. Says it all really. Some do have a mid winter break but with our unpredictable weather when do you have one. .This January it is -20, next year it could be 50+.

Woody1985
07-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I think it would improve the quality as well and more people would get involved at a younger age. As mentioned previously on another thread, youngsters have so many options nowadays and for a lot of them going outside for a kickabout / going to training isn't that appealing when it's freezing. Especially if you can sit in the house on the net and play the PS3/Xbox online and speak to all your mates at the same time.

And am I the only one who prefers to go for a drink on the summer nights when you can stand outside with the sun on your back in a t-shirt?

07hibee
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I think it was quoted last week that 22 out of 25 leagues in Europe play August to May. Says it all really. Some do have a mid winter break but with our unpredictable weather when do you have one. .This January it is -20, next year it could be 50+.

Surely its better to play in June or July than Dec Jan or Feb?

WindyMiller
07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I think it was quoted last week that 22 out of 25 leagues in Europe play August to May. Says it all really. Some do have a mid winter break but with our unpredictable weather when do you have one. .This January it is -20, next year it could be 50+ .

That really would be global warming on a grand scale!

WindyMiller
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I think it would improve the quality as well and more people would get involved at a younger age. As mentioned previously on another thread, youngsters have so many options nowadays and for a lot of them going outside for a kickabout / going to training isn't that appealing when it's freezing. Especially if you can sit in the house on the net and play the PS3/Xbox online and speak to all your mates at the same time.

And am I the only one who prefers to go for a drink on the summer nights when you can stand outside with the sun on your back in a t-shirt?

No you're not mate, the older I get the more I like the idea of Summer Football.

Speedy
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Surely its better to play in June or July than Dec Jan or Feb?

That's a great time to play football, that's why they hold the world cup and Euro's are held then :wink:

A winter break is pretty much a non starter anyway because you can't predict when it will be needed. Plud you'd need to reduce the number of games we play e.g. getting rid of the split and only playing 33 games?

HibsMax
07-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I used to think that football should be played during the summer as well. I still do actually. Going to a game in pleasant weather......what a ridiculous idea!

I have been over here for almost 12 years now and (American) football is played from Autumn / Fall through the Winter and they very rarely call off games. Yet there are many areas of the country that have MUCH harsher winters than Scotland ever gets. Some teams play on grass, some teams play on astroturf. I know the two sports are different but (American) football involves a LOT more hitting the ground compared to football - almost every play ends up with someone hitting the ground with at least one person on them. If they can play (American) football in ANY weather then I'm sure the same can be said about football.

But it's all about money / affordability.

Gatecrasher
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
summer football is a must IMO, its a joke expecting people to turn up in the freezing cold to watch a game.

during world cups and euros there could be a mid season break and it would save the clubs money not using flood lights and under soil heating all the time, (not to mention the carbon footprint :rolleyes:)

i would enjoy turning up to most games wearing a hibs top rather than it being buried under another 3 layers of clothing :agree:

gogs_t
07-01-2010, 11:45 PM
This is my tuppence worth.

While it may be more pleasant sitting watching a game on a summers day, I don't see what the problem is in the winter. Games are rarely called off - with this year being the obvious exception - and I've never sat at Easter Road thinking that I'd rather be home in front of the fire! Well - apart from a few games under Bobby Williamson but I'd rather have been at the pictures in those instances!

But the main reason I'm against it is that there are so many other activities over the summer months that I know I'd miss several games and would then find it difficult to justify buying a season ticket, and I suspect others would be in a similar situation.

greenlex
08-01-2010, 02:59 AM
I know every winter we have a period when this subject is raised and I know the freeze is into it's fourth week in places but FFS it's a winter game. It's only a few years since we were squelching around ER playing a European tie in the middle if Summer on a pitch that was waterlogged. The summer before last was the wettest August for god knows how long. We haven't had a cold snap like this for decades.
No to Summer Fitba. Summer is for Holidays, Golf and watchin Burds in wee strappy tops.

scott7_0(Prague)
08-01-2010, 04:50 AM
I would say the modern day football fan is a wimp or a snob, only joking. The Scottish climate is so unpredictable that no matter what season we played football there will be the risk of disruption anytime!

Forza Fred
08-01-2010, 05:36 AM
I know every winter we have a period when this subject is raised and I know the freeze is into it's fourth week in places but FFS it's a winter game.

It may indeed be a winter game in Europe, but in the rest of the big wide world that is not necessarily the case.

scott7_0(Prague)
08-01-2010, 06:18 AM
It may indeed be a winter game in Europe, but in the rest of the big wide world that is not necessarily the case.

Really, would be interesting to see what countries play in what season.... anyone go that info to hand? :wink:

tony
08-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Really, would be interesting to see what countries play in what season.... anyone go that info to hand? :wink:

The Danes, a good comparison to us in terms of size, population etc. stop playing mid December and start again beginning of March. Pushes the leagues to the end of May and starts them earlier, getting on average better conditions throughout the season. Attendances are up and standards are up, according to Morten Wieghorst. And they are in the World Cup! So not summer football but still a huge improvement on what we have right now.

Broken Gnome
08-01-2010, 09:18 AM
summer football is a must IMO, its a joke expecting people to turn up in the freezing cold to watch a game.

It's a joke that people have happily been abiding by for over 100 years?

This is an extreme case obviously, but we've coped with bad weather before and we always will.

Genuine question, via holidays, festivals, other summer plans etc (the wedding industry would be ruined...), would crowds remain the same? I reckon your non-attendees would rise for a lot of games. The Scottish Cup final shouldn't be played in October or November, it should be May. The World Cup should be the climax to a season, not a distraction in a middle. Turn youth football into a summer sport in the interests of by all means, but there are a hell of a lot of traditions that people would greatly miss if we moved from our current calendar.

Jack
08-01-2010, 09:33 AM

I think you might find that most of these 22 leagues are in countries that border the Mediterranean, its not like the winter weather we have here, or in Scandinavia, is comparable ... although having said that it can hover around zero degrees in Madrid at this time of year and its snowing in Barcelona as I type!

This is my tuppence worth.

While it may be more pleasant sitting watching a game on a summers day, I don't see what the problem is in the winter. Games are rarely called off - with this year being the obvious exception - and I've never sat at Easter Road thinking that I'd rather be home in front of the fire! Well - apart from a few games under Bobby Williamson but I'd rather have been at the pictures in those instances!

But the main reason I'm against it is that there are so many other activities over the summer months that I know I'd miss several games and would then find it difficult to justify buying a season ticket, and I suspect others would be in a similar situation.

This is the first year I have noticed the Police getting so involved in cancelling games because of the lack of ‘safe’ public access. If this policy continues then many, many more games are going to be cancelled in the future as the Police flex their muscles.

I know every winter we have a period when this subject is raised and I know the freeze is into it's fourth week in places but FFS it's a winter game. It's only a few years since we were squelching around ER playing a European tie in the middle if Summer on a pitch that was waterlogged. The summer before last was the wettest August for god knows how long. We haven't had a cold snap like this for decades.
No to Summer Fitba. Summer is for Holidays, Golf and watchin Burds in wee strappy tops.

Football is only a winter game because cricket was played in the summer when football started. Football is a game that should be played when conditions are best – and that’s in the summer. I agree with the other summer activities.

crewetollhibee
08-01-2010, 09:45 AM
A no from me as well. Even in this most harshest of winters, games can still go ahead with under-soil heating (although the surface at ER on Sunday wasn't the best). As stated earlier, we shouldn't step out of kilter with the vast majority of other countries. One further thought, maybe a return to some standing areas could be re-introduced; nothing worse than sitting stock still on days like Sunday !!!