PDA

View Full Version : Cricket: SA v England

ancienthibby
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Here we go again:

England's cricket team 'WON A DRAW' against SA apparently in SA today!!

How exactly do you 'win' a draw'??

They scored 175 runs (or so) against the Boks. They had one wicket in hand. SA declared with 3 wickets in hand - How on earth is this not just a defeat, never mind a draw - but a 'WIN' for the English team??

1966 rules, it seems:grr::grr::grr:

PC Stamp
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Here we go again:

They scored 175 runs (or so) against the Boks. They had one wicket in hand. SA declared with 3 wickets in hand - How on earth is this not just a defeat, never mind a draw - but a 'WIN' for the English team??

They "won" a draw because it looked to all intents and purposes that they were actually going to "win" a defeat! They were never really in with a shout at "winning" a win but then for SA to "win" a win they would have to have taken all the English wickets. For the 2nd time in this series in similar circumstances, England have "won" a draw and SA have "lost" a win ... but also "won" a draw! England have also "won" a win once which means that SA need to "win" a win in the final test otherwise they'll "win" a loss in the series by one win to none.

Easy really.

ancienthibby
07-01-2010, 05:47 PM
They "won" a draw because it looked to all intents and purposes that they were actually going to "win" a defeat! They were never really in with a shout at "winning" a win but then for SA to "win" a win they would have to have taken all the English wickets. For the 2nd time in this series in similar circumstances, England have "won" a draw and SA have "lost" a win ... but also "won" a draw! England have also "won" a win once which means that SA need to "win" a win in the final test otherwise they'll "win" a loss in the series by one win to none.

Easy really.

So, in essence, what you are saying is this:

MadVlad rationale/modes of reasoning/economics have already been introduced to the (already failed) world of english cricket!!:devil::devil:

Tinyclothes
07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Here we go again:

If you don't understand it then don't worry yourself with it. If you are referencing the 'WON A DRAW' line to Tom Fordyce on the live commetary then it was tongue in cheek like all the stuff he writes.

Well done on the 1966 comment too. Nothing like mentioning it and then getting angry about it when it'll inevitably be mentioned during the world cup. :rolleyes:

ancienthibby
07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
If you don't understand it then don't worry yourself with it. If you are referencing the 'WON A DRAW' line to Tom Fordyce on the live commetary then it was tongue in cheek like all the stuff he writes.

Well done on the 1966 comment too. Nothing like mentioning it and then getting angry about it when it'll inevitably be mentioned during the world cup. :rolleyes:

:cool2:

Joe's ice cream
07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Its actualy a fantastic result for England, South Africa are alongside Australia as the best test team in the world, to go over there and be in a position where they now can't loose the series is a credit to England.

Tinyclothes
07-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Its actualy a fantastic result for England, South Africa are alongside Australia as the best test team in the world, to go over there and be in a position where they now can't loose the series is a credit to England.

:top marks After Flintoff retiring and KP way off form it's a great result, even if they get a bit of a tanning in the final test.

hibee62
08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Always amuses me that people take the sporting rivalry which exists between England and the rest of the UK onto cricket. Ask anyone who plays for Ireland and Scotland cricket teams and they will tell you that their life's ambition is to play for England...

Excellent performance by them on this tour anyway, I still like to see them do well, much more so than in most other sports!:agree:

Pretty Boy
08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Well done to England, greta battling performance to snatch a draw and gurantee they can't lose the series.

The won a draw comment was very tongue in cheek and was referring to the wild celebrations of the England fans at the game.

As for the 1966 comment, why do we get so worked up by this? They won the World Cup and rightly enjoy mentioning the fact. It's not like some of us Scots are shy about mentioning winning at Wembley in 1967 at any opportunity is it?

--------
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Here we go again:

The point of Test cricket (the only kind worth bothering about IMHO) is to take all your opponents' wickets. That's the bottom line. You WIN by bowling out the opposition. A captain can declare his side's innings closed before all the wickets are down, but in the second innings you can only win by taking all ten of the opposition's wickets. If you don't do that, you don't win.

It's the game. It's a wonderful game. Nothing whatsoever to do with 1966, whatever happened then. :confused:

stu in nottingham
09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
It's simply in the way of 'winning a reprieve'. Well done to England, they did extremely well in holding out against the Boks.

jodjam
11-01-2010, 07:17 PM
been a great series. Can't wait for the final test.

Tinyclothes
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
been a great series. Can't wait for the final test.

Same here mate. I'll be in Carnoustie this weekend so hoping to find a nice warm boozer to wacth it in.

jodjam
13-01-2010, 09:44 PM
think Strauss' luck with the coin will be vital. If he wins the toss they are halfway there to a remarkable success.

always a result at the Bull ring as i usually lay cricket draws to earn a few bob.

jodjam
14-01-2010, 08:10 AM
looks like i was wrong.......Strauss wins the toss and England are 32/3

LiverpoolHibs
14-01-2010, 10:28 AM
looks like i was wrong.......Strauss wins the toss and England are 32/3

Fairly dreadful start. Collingwood and Bell really need to bed in now.

N.B. Can Kevin Pietersen be banned from the test side, please.

LiverpoolHibs
14-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Fairly dreadful start. Collingwood and Bell really need to bed in now.

N.B. Can Kevin Pietersen be banned from the test side, please.

Why did I say that! Collingwood goes. This pitch is a bit nuts.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2010, 11:35 AM
England really struggling here. Although with this pitch can't see SA posting a particularly high score either, it's not settling at all.

Also agree with regards to Pieterson, he's a 1 day and 20/20 player only, not got anything like the patience to play in tests.

Danderhall Hibs
14-01-2010, 11:57 AM
England really struggling here. Although with this pitch can't see SA posting a particularly high score either, it's not settling at all.

Also agree with regards to Pieterson, he's a 1 day and 20/20 player only, not got anything like the patience to play in tests.

Is he not just going through a dry patch? I think he still averages 40+ in test matches (I think he might be pushing 50).

LiverpoolHibs
14-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Is he not just going through a dry patch? I think he still averages 40+ in test matches (I think he might be pushing 50).

I don't think it's just a dry spell. His decision making, which has never been particularly good, seems to have gone to pot completely and his shot selection, which has always been pretty solid, has gone the same way. And seemingly the worse he does the more he feels the need to prove something - therefore you've got that absolutely ridiculous shot he's played this morning. He's only scored one test hundred this year (102 in a draw) - admittedly missing a couple through injury.

Although, admittedly, I just dislike him generally.

jodjam
14-01-2010, 12:39 PM
he's admitted himself that he's not the best team player. amazing talent but on a bit of a dip just now. Just seems to play the opposite shot to what is required at the time during this series.

sg7nil
14-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Always amuses me that people take the sporting rivalry which exists between England and the rest of the UK onto cricket. Ask anyone who plays for Ireland and Scotland cricket teams and they will tell you that their life's ambition is to play for England...

Excellent performance by them on this tour anyway, I still like to see them do well, much more so than in most other sports!:agree:

In that case why call it England at all?

It could be called UK or GB, but then again, no, cos half the team is South Africans who were not good enough to play for their home country.:wink:

DaveF
14-01-2010, 04:57 PM

It could be called UK or GB, but then again, no, cos half the team is South Africans who were not good enough to play for their home country.:wink:

Is it not called the England & Wales Cricket board so they have 2 countries covered :greengrin

The selection of players born abroad is hardly unique to Cricket is it? The residential rule is used (and abused) by every sport.

Take Shontayne Hape - Just selected for England's Rugby Union squad despite playing many internationals for NZ Rugby League.

hibee62
15-01-2010, 09:57 AM

It is the English and Wales team officially but since the Irish and the Scots don't play at the top level (ie. test cricket), they let players from there play for them if they have a certain number of years county experience. Currently Eoin Morgan plays for the English ODI side for example.

These players will, however, have to requalify to play for their home nations again. Case in point being teh now Scotland captain, Gavin Hamilton. PLayed a test for England in 2000, never played again and couldnt play for Scotland again until 2005.

LiverpoolHibs
15-01-2010, 10:42 AM
The actual cricket may be thoroughly deppressing but the BBC Live Text is solid gold today.

"Why can't life be like one of those implausible sports movies: Straussy gathers the troops at lunch to remind them of their impoverished roots; Jimmy rescued from the coal face in Burnley as a wee lad; Siders saved from a life of scaring birds; KP, found wandering the African savannah eating wild honey and antelope. With orchestral notes rising, our veteran captain implores them, having achieved so much, to give every ounce of remaining energy in one final do or die session. Roaring with intent they charge out post lunch to bowl them out for 179. Just imagine."

Hank Schrader
15-01-2010, 11:30 AM
The actual cricket may be thoroughly deppressing but the BBC Live Text is solid gold today.

"Why can't life be like one of those implausible sports movies: Straussy gathers the troops at lunch to remind them of their impoverished roots; Jimmy rescued from the coal face in Burnley as a wee lad; Siders saved from a life of scaring birds; KP, found wandering the African savannah eating wild honey and antelope. With orchestral notes rising, our veteran captain implores them, having achieved so much, to give every ounce of remaining energy in one final do or die session. Roaring with intent they charge out post lunch to bowl them out for 179. Just imagine."

England are getting their erses felt well and truly in this test. Steyn back on top form yesterday, showing exactly why he is rated the number one bowler in test matches.

Just why England dropped Onions in favour of Sidebottom is beyond me. I mean, who else is going to be able to see off around about 100 overs worth of chin music from Steyn and Morkel when Englands last innings has faltered to a measly 150/9 :greengrin

I agree about the BBC Live Text, it can be very amusing, Cricinfos efforts aren't too bad either to be honest.

LiverpoolHibs
15-01-2010, 11:56 AM
England are getting their erses felt well and truly in this test. Steyn back on top form yesterday, showing exactly why he is rated the number one bowler in test matches.

Just why England dropped Onions in favour of Sidebottom is beyond me. I mean, who else is going to be able to see off around about 100 overs worth of chin music from Steyn and Morkel when Englands last innings has faltered to a measly 150/9 :greengrin

I agree about the BBC Live Text, it can be very amusing, Cricinfos efforts aren't too bad either to be honest.

:greengrin

Reducing the Durham numbers was always going to ruin things.

Seriously though, the reasons given for that are the most annoying thing. 'He's tired, he's bowled too much' - well, no he's bowled less than any other frontline bowler on the tour. 'Ok then, Sidebottom's been bowling well in the nets' - so what?!

Hank Schrader
15-01-2010, 02:09 PM
:greengrin

Reducing the Durham numbers was always going to ruin things.

Seriously though, the reasons given for that are the most annoying thing. 'He's tired, he's bowled too much' - well, no he's bowled less than any other frontline bowler on the tour. 'Ok then, Sidebottom's been bowling well in the nets' - so what?!

Exactly, Sidebottom hasn't looked fit since England toured New Zealand at the start of 2008, back then he was arguably the worlds best left arm swing/seam bowler but he has lost some of his pace since then and isn't nearly as threatening.

With Onions, he gives England the ability to make a batsmen play every ball, he pitches it up and bowls wicket to wicket. He should be Jimmy Andersons new ball partner, Broad is nowhere near consistent enough yet. Opening batsmen like to have a few deliverys they can leave to get them settled in, Onions doesn't allow them to do that. And to be honest Smith and Prince aren't the greatest of starters. Once Smith does get in however he can be there for a very long time.

LiverpoolHibs
15-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Exactly, Sidebottom hasn't looked fit since England toured New Zealand at the start of 2008, back then he was arguably the worlds best left arm swing/seam bowler but he has lost some of his pace since then and isn't nearly as threatening.

With Onions, he gives England the ability to make a batsmen play every ball, he pitches it up and bowls wicket to wicket. He should be Jimmy Andersons new ball partner, Broad is nowhere near consistent enough yet. Opening batsmen like to have a few deliverys they can leave to get them settled in, Onions doesn't allow them to do that. And to be honest Smith and Prince aren't the greatest of starters. Once Smith does get in however he can be there for a very long time.

Spot on. Except that I don't think Sidebottom's ever been fit to lace Chaminda Vaas' boots.

Hank Schrader
15-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Spot on. Except that I don't think Sidebottom's ever been fit to lace Chaminda Vaas' boots.

Good point.

I miss Vaas, quality bowler. On the subject of left arm quicks the young boy Aamer of Pakistan looks like he will go a long way in the game. I hope his progress isn't hampered by the volatile situation in Pakistan, its a shame his country don't play nearly as much test cricket as the deserve/need to. I am glad they have a busy 2010 to get them back on the map again.

LiverpoolHibs
15-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Good point.

I miss Vaas, quality bowler.

Probably my favourite quick in my time watching cricket despite him never really getting much coverage.

On the subject of left arm quicks the young boy Aamer of Pakistan looks like he will go a long way in the game. I hope his progress isn't hampered by the volatile situation in Pakistan, its a shame his country don't play nearly as much test cricket as the deserve/need to. I am glad they have a busy 2010 to get them back on the map again.

He looks like he's going to be very, very good. His one-day average is incredible and he'll learn about bowling in five-dayers as he gets older. He's only 17, isn't he?! Hope he doesn't get any repurcussions from playing so early.

anon1
17-01-2010, 02:00 PM
England are going to get spanked by the Aussies. No doubt.