PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled games - load of p...

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Why is football being cancelled just because the "surrounding areas" are snowy? Isn't the game being played on the pitch?! I see the Arsenal game was cancelled tonight even though the pitch is absolutely fine. Our game was off last week because the car park was frozen - the game wasn't being played on the car park!

Did the police/local authorities cancel the shopping in London today as well? Will all theatre shows be cancelled tonight just in case someone falls over the snow on the way in? It's only right, isn't it?

When this snow eventually clears and if it's a bit frosty will they start calling games off just in case someone slips on the pavement? We could be playing right up to July the way this is going.

What a load of pish.

GlesgaeHibby
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Why is football being cancelled just because the "surrounding areas" are snowy? Isn't the game being played on the pitch?! I see the Arsenal game was cancelled tonight even though the pitch is absolutely fine. Our game was off last week because the car park was frozen - the game wasn't being played on the car park!

Did the police/local authorities cancel the shopping in London today as well? Will all theatre shows be cancelled tonight just in case someone falls over the snow on the way in? It's only right, isn't it?

When this snow eventually clears and if it's a bit frosty will they start calling games off just in case someone slips on the pavement? We could be playing right up to July the way this is going.

What a load of pish.

It's getting a bit annoying. My TV viewing for this week has been scuppered due to the weather.

Was really looking forward to Man City Vs Man Utd tonight.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 07:45 PM

That's what kind of brought about my rant. :greengrin They cancelled that game yesterday FFS! They had 36 hours to get some salt down.

Ringothedog
06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I always thought that football was a spectator sport:confused: What is the point in playing games when the fans cant get there ? You cant play if the referee cant make it either.

All the decisions to cancel the games so far have imo been correct

Viva_Palmeiras
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I recall reading that American Football games are to be played regardless of the weather.

Now this must be pants cos the Superdome was used as a refuge when hurricane K/Catriona struck.

But I'll bet that there are few if any cancellations - when I followed it you always saw the steam coming off the players at Soldier Field Chigaco where it gets mentally cold. They do have hot air blowers to thaw them out and "plays" are shorter sharp with muchos substitutios.

In other words in the US they dont care whether the spectators can make it or not.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I always thought that football was a spectator sport:confused: What is the point in playing games when the fans cant get there ?

All the decisions to cancel the games so far have imo been correct

The fans can get there - if they want to. The main roads are fine - I've not missed a days work yet.

The buses are still running if you're not confident driving as well.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I recall reading that American Football games are to be played regardless of the weather.

Now this must be pants cos the Superdome was used as a refuge when hurricane K/Catriona struck.

But I'll bet that there are few if any cancellations - when I followed it you always saw the steam coming off the players at Soldier Field Chigaco where it gets mentally cold. They do have hot air blowers to thaw them out and "plays" are shorter sharp with muchos substitutios.

In other words in the US they dont care whether the spectators can make it or not.

TalkSport mentioned this this morning - apparently in the last 50 years they've had no games cancelled.

Just Jimmy
06-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I've just had a rant about this prior to coming on here to see this thread. It was sparked by the news on SSN that games are already off this weekend!

It wednesday for **** sake!

Farcical.

Ringothedog
06-01-2010, 07:59 PM
The fans can get there - if they want to. The main roads are fine - I've not missed a days work yet.

Not everybody lives local though. I would not fancy a trip up to Perth(to see Hibs) at the moment and most fitba grounds are not on main roads. parking is normally on side roads which are in absolutely shocking state.

Ringothedog
06-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I've just had a rant about this prior to coming on here to see this thread. It was sparked by the news on SSN that games are already off this weekend!

It wednesday for **** sake!

Farcical.

The weather forecast might have something to do with it. Just a thought:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Not everybody lives local though. I would not fancy a trip up to Perth(to see Hibs) at the moment and most fitba grounds are not on main roads. parking is normally on side roads which are in absolutely shocking state.

It would've been fine getting up there last week, the main roads were fine. Fair enough about the parking but we'd have just had to make do!

Maybe - they're always right. :wink:

If they assume they are right it gives them 3 days to get the spades out and the salt down.

Ringothedog
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
It would've been fine getting up there last week, the main roads were fine. Fair enough about the parking but we'd have just had to make do!

Maybe - they're always right. :wink:

If they assume they are right it gives them 3 days to get the spades out and the salt down.

If you can get the salt/grit:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 08:07 PM

That never stopped about 30 of us travelling from lancashire on sunday, even though we did not know if the game was on or off. People just make excuses imho.

Ringothedog
06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
That never stopped about 30 of us travelling from lancashire on sunday, even though we did not know if the game was on or off. People just make excuses imho.

I know, but there are hundreds who do make excuses. My only point is that it seems crazy that we will moan about lack of atmospheres at games and then want them played in 3/4 empty stadiums

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I know, but there are hundreds who do make excuses. My only point is that it seems crazy that we will moan about lack of atmospheres at games and then want them played in 3/4 empty stadiums

I dont think the 2 things are connected. Sunday was freezing, yes it was a full house, but the atmosphere was good. Perhaps the cold gets the fans up for games more?

Part/Time Supporter
06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Man City v Man Utd being off is ridiculous, the weather was bad in the north of England on Tuesday morning but it had passed to the home counties by last night. The roads in / around Manchester should at least be passable with care by now.

New Orleans Saints relocated their home games for the rest of that season, because the Superdome itself was in a hell of a state after it was used as a mass homeless centre. Katrina was in early August; NFL regular season runs from late August to early January. Some of their 8 home games were played in San Antonio (Texas) and a few more were played in Baton Rouge (a few miles up the road). I think their first home game was supposed to be against the NY Giants and was switched to the Meadowlands (New Jersey).

Normal snow / winter weather doesn't cause games to be called off (a particularly famous NFL game was played in -25C), and the Saints were back in the Superdome the following season, after it was refurbished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Superdome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bowl_(NFL)

The officials were unable to use their whistles after the opening kick-off. As the referee blew his metal whistle to signal the start of play, it froze to his lips. For the rest of the game, the officials used voice commands and calls to end plays and officiate the game.

Jeez, I wish that happens to Richmond, Brines, etc sometime in the next few weeks.

:pray: :greengrin

heretoday
06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
It's getting a bit annoying. My TV viewing for this week has been scuppered due to the weather.

I'm watching Milan hammer Genoa on P2P. Good open game.

Steve20
06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
It was hell just walking to that game on Sunday. It should have been called off. If the weather, pavements and roads are even close as bad as they are just now, then I hope Saturday is called off.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
It was hell just walking to that game on Sunday. It should have been called off. If the weather, pavements and roads are even close as bad as they are just now, then I hope Saturday is called off.

How far away did you park?!

See if it is off and it's re-arranged for a Wednesday night will I be able to get a refund on my daughter's ticket? I won't be taking her to ER on a school-night in the middle of winter.

Part/Time Supporter
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM

It was no worse than the week before IMO

:dunno:

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 08:29 PM

I got a taxi from waverley station to the nip, then walked to the ground from there. After i walked along lorne street to leith walk. Had a kebab, then walked to the station again. Never slipped once. Hell. :faf:

Sergey
06-01-2010, 08:32 PM

What a load of pish.

They did, actually.

Brent Cross Shopping Centre was closed this afternoon on safety grounds.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
They did, actually.

Oh well! :greengrin

How about the shows in the West End? I assume the Trafford Centre in Manchester's been shut for 2 days now as well?

KeithTheHibby
06-01-2010, 08:35 PM

What a load of pish.

They closed MacArthur Glen Designer Outlet early today due to adverse weather warnings - it was sunny all afternoon!

The UK cannot handle adverse weather - snow, rain, sun, utterly pish at dealing with it.

ballengeich
06-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Some sympathy for the OP, but how will we all feel if supporters travelling to or from a game somewhere are injured or killed because of road conditions? Safety first please.

I'd prefer games to be called off early if there's any doubt. What happened to the St Johnstone fans at Falkirk last Saturday shouldn't be repeated.

Also, there should be no midweek games scheduled between mid December and mid February.

Just Jimmy
06-01-2010, 08:39 PM

I've been travelling back and forward to Dundee from just outside Glenrothes around lunchtime most days until 2am ish. some nights have been bad, but by taking care it's not a problem.

Just a fact :wink:

Just Jimmy
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Some sympathy for the OP, but how will we all feel if supporters travelling to or from a game somewhere are injured or killed because of road conditions? Safety first please.

I'd prefer games to be called off early if there's any doubt. What happened to the St Johnstone fans at Falkirk last Saturday shouldn't be repeated.

Also, there should be no midweek games scheduled between mid December and mid February.

The real answer is summer football or a winter shutdown at the very worst.

Removed
06-01-2010, 08:43 PM

See if it is off and it's re-arranged for a Wednesday night will I be able to get a refund on my daughter's ticket? I won't be taking her to ER on a school-night in the middle of winter.

:agree: That's why I never got my bairns cup top ups and just get their seats for Saturday cup games

They did, actually.

Apparently Macarthur Glen shut at 12 today and all the staff were sent home because Livi was expecting snow at 2.................and it never came

ArabHibee
06-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Been there, done that. 3-4 hours in the freezing cold watching American Football is not my idea of fun!! :boo hoo:

Littlest Hobo
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
What's it gonne take a fatality to get it into some peoples minds that a football match just isn't worth the risk of putting your life on the line. :rolleyes:

The snow will eventually clear and then we can all get on with it. Until then there is no point in humming and hawing about games being correctly in my opinion being cancelled. So enough already!:grr::wink::greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
There were bus loads of Bolton fans already in London or almost there when tonights game was called off. They could not believe it as the weather in Bolton was much worse than that in London.

I cant believe that Premiership clubs (outwith Portsmouth:wink:) cant afford to clear the surrounding area of the stadium in the lead up to a game, especially the likes of Man City and Arsenal

bawheid
06-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I was listening to Radio Scotland while driving home tonight and PC Plod was on talking about this. Chick Dung asked why shopping centres etc weren't closed and PC Plod said this was because they weren't governed by safety certificates.

Apparently the police never call off games, it's the clubs who call it off on police advice. Although if they want to go against the police advice they have to appeal to some local authority committee.

I agree with DH. It's a pile of pish. If you're that worried about the snow while walking to a game of football invest in a pair of crampons.

lyonhibs
06-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Were you wearing 12" stiletto heels and do you have a truly awful sense of balance??

The Derby was fine. By the time it came to kick off, the roads and pavements were fine - a bit minging and slushy if that.

However, this chat of -10/-20 does make me fear for the game againt Irvine Meadow.

jakedance
06-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Nonsense. I walked down from Bruntsfield without any bother.

This isn't necessarily directed at you Steve20 but what's wrong with personal responsibility? Everyone seems to expect the Council to grit every road and pavement. As soon as it snows and life gets a wee bit more difficult everyone wants someone to hold their hand - pish, man-up for christsakes.

If you live in Edinburgh then you can get a bus or walk if you can't get your car out. If you live in the country and roads are blocked then you have to accept that missing fitba matches is maybe a regrettable yet unavoidable consequence of your lifestyle choices. The show must go on. FFS this is a northern hemisphere country, we're turning into a nation of bloody wimps. Billy Connolly said something like "there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrang clathaes".

If the pitch is playable then the game should go on. End of story.

CropleyWasGod
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Even if the other team can't get here? :greengrin

jakedance
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Even if the other team can't get here? :greengrin

No excuses will be tolerated. They can ski here if need be. They should come through to our nations capital the day before anyway - make a weekend of it, do some shopping, go to a show at the Playhouse, that kind of thing.

lapsedhibee
06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
It was hell just walking to that game on Sunday. It should have been called off.

Walking may seem less of a problem if you manage to get a grip.

Sir David Gray
06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I got the train through on Sunday and then got a taxi to the ground. However, after the game it was going to be around a 90 minute wait for a taxi to pick us up so we just walked to the station.

The pavements immediately around Easter Road were ok but the pavements just off those particular roads were a nightmare and absolutely packed with snow and ice. I'm not just talking about small side roads either, these were pavements on major roads.

If the pavements around Easter Road are in the same state on Saturday as those pavements were in last Sunday, then the game could well be called off.

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2010, 06:57 AM
What's it gonne take a fatality to get it into some peoples minds that a football match just isn't worth the risk of putting your life on the line. :rolleyes:

That’s a bit of an over-reaction. If you're in fear of your life don't go to the match.

It's not that bad though - everyone (that wants to) can still get to their work and to the shops without dying so it's probably ok to get to the match as well.

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2010, 07:05 AM

I missed the Rangers game because I couldn't get my car out of my estate. So if I was being selfish I'd be ranting that game went ahead! I also have to work from home today as my attempt to get to work yesterday was successful however my car got stuck 1/4 mile from my house on the return journey.

So to say fans can get there if they want is way of the mark. Calling off games is on occasion the correct thing to do as the clubs/police have to look at the overall picture not just individuals.

Steve20
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Nonsense. I walked down from Bruntsfield without any bother.

Good for you. As long as your ok, then that's all that matters.

This "If you cant get to the game, then tough" is alot of pish. You have to make sure that it's safe for fans to get to the match. It's all well saying people are wimps, but what about, say the elderly who find the icy conditions impossible to get to the game. Do they not matter, as long as you get some football at the weekend? Or is it more important that you see this match than put it back to a time where almost everyone will be able too?

brog
07-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Well I'm flying up on Saturday from London, if I can get to airport & if it's open, was closed yesterday, so I'm firmly in camp of those who want game on! Actually, it's all my fault, I posted the other day that English games were never called off because of weather ( which did not affect the pitch ) & now here we go!
The poster who talked about grounds requiring a public safety certificate is right but it's disingenuous of the police to pretend the decision is down to the clubs. In Scotland that's not really the case, no one is going to challenge the police decision. In England the police very rarely interfere.
I believe Arsenal were happily going ahead with game yesterday until they became aware of major failure of public transport in/around London. My train company has a revised timetable with last train home at 7.30pm & in fact nothing ran after 2pm!! Hopefully the immediate panic will calm down & sensible decisions can be made. The absence of negative noises from ER is encouraging!!

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2010, 07:34 AM
I missed the Rangers game because I couldn't get my car out of my estate. So if I was being selfish I'd be ranting that game went ahead! I also have to work from home today as my attempt to get to work yesterday was successful however my car got stuck 1/4 mile from my house on the return journey.

So to say fans can get there if they want is way of the mark. Calling off games is on occasion the correct thing to do as the clubs/police have to look at the overall picture not just individuals.

Bus? Train?

This "If you cant get to the game, then tough" is alot of pish. You have to make sure that it's safe for fans to get to the match. It's all well saying people are wimps, but what about, say the elderly who find the icy conditions impossible to get to the game. Do they not matter, as long as you get some football at the weekend? Or is it more important that you see this match than put it back to a time where almost everyone will be able too?

The majority can make it if they want to. Majority rules!

This country's turning soft.

number 27
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
There were bus loads of Bolton fans already in London or almost there when tonights game was called off. They could not believe it as the weather in Bolton was much worse than that in London.

I cant believe that Premiership clubs (outwith Portsmouth:wink:) cant afford to clear the surrounding area of the stadium in the lead up to a game, especially the likes of Man City and Arsenal

Arsenal actually did clear the surrounding areas. The game was called off due to public transport issues. The Emirates is highly dependent on public transport so if that fails then fans cannot safely attend the game.

khib70
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Arsenal actually did clear the surrounding areas. The game was called off due to public transport issues. The Emirates is highly dependent on public transport so if that fails then fans cannot safely attend the game.
True.
However, with the weather so bad in the Home Counties, the sheer logisitcal problem of getting the entire Man U support up North to Manchester, was just too big a hurdle to overcome. Hopefully the trains will be running and well-stocked with prawn sarnies for the replay:greengrin

legends of 73
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Bus? Train?

The majority can make it if they want to. Majority rules!

This country's turning soft.

True we're living in a country of wimps

If you want to go to the game then go wrap up warm and wear the correct footwear and if you don't want to go then sit in yer hoose listening to the game on the radio or watch a old cowboy film on bbc 2 then come on here and complain that we only scored 9 against a pub team and slag of certain players:greengrin

Killiehibbie
07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
When was the last winter we had a prolonged freeze? Lets change to summer football then you can all moan about it interfering with holidays, bbq's and it being too warm to expect players to put a full shift in.

Dashing Bob S
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm glad someone's posted about this nonsense. It's the classic example of how we've all become so comfortable and mollycoddled, we now mindlessly cede power over the authorities, be they right-wing police chiefs or leftish councils over the decisions that effect our lives.

I was in my local hostelry the other day, taking to an old Hibby who was correctly derisive at the sheer poofiness of those who won't go out in a few inches of snow or who think it's a tradgety of Rwanda proportions if their mobile phone runs out of juice.

It's time for us all to man up a little, methinks, and tell the authorities to get stuffed.

Let me be the first to pull the switch and sleep soundly afterwards.

Joe Baker II
07-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm glad someone's posted about this nonsense. It's the classic example of how we've all become so comfortable and mollycoddled, we now mindlessly cede power over the authorities, be they right-wing police chiefs or leftish councils over the decisions that effect our lives.

I was in my local hostelry the other day, taking to an old Hibby who was correctly derisive at the sheer poofiness of those who won't go out in a few inches of snow or who think it's a tradgety of Rwanda proportions if their mobile phone runs out of juice.

It's time for us all to man up a little, methinks, and tell the authorities to get stuffed.

Let me be the first to pull the switch and sleep soundly afterwards.

Totally agree, sounds appalling response from police on Radio Scotland referred to above - do shops and cinemans not have any safety responsibilities, as you say sums up everything wrong with Scotland. Though it only needs a club with the courage to tell the police to get stuffed to force some changes.

jakedance
07-01-2010, 09:21 AM

So by your reasoning we should have cancelled the derby, the St Johnstone game, the cup game this weekend and potentially another two or three games because the cold spell is forecast to last another few weeks? When do you propose these games are played?

I think you'll find the elderly people your looking out for are a bit tougher than your giving them credit for.

Golden Bear
07-01-2010, 09:29 AM
True we're living in a country of wimps

If you want to go to the game then go wrap up warm and wear the correct footwear and if you don't want to go then sit in yer hoose listening to the game on the radio or watch a old cowboy film on bbc 2 then come on here and complain that we only scored 9 against a pub team and slag of certain players:greengrin

:agree:

And that's coming from someone who has already purchased a ticket for Saturday but as things stand there is a distinct possibility I'll not be able to attend because of the state of the roads.

:boo hoo:

Peevemor
07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Totally agree, sounds appalling response from police on Radio Scotland referred to above - do shops and cinemans not have any safety responsibilities, as you say sums up everything wrong with Scotland. Though it only needs a club with the courage to tell the police to get stuffed to force some changes.

The difference is that if people can't travel to shops and cinemas they'll just go when transport's easier, whereas a football match is a one-off.

legends of 73
07-01-2010, 09:51 AM
:agree:

And that's coming from someone who has already purchased a ticket for Saturday but as things stand there is a distinct possibility I'll not be able to attend because of the state of the roads.

:boo hoo:

mate i've been out on these so called bad roads all week all over east and west lothian as well. all main roads are fine just when you get to estates then they get a bit tricky so if you stay in those estates or small villages then leave a little bit early.

Golden Bear
07-01-2010, 09:54 AM
mate i've been out on these so called bad roads all week all over east and west lothian as well. all main roads are fine just when you get to estates then they get a bit tricky so if you stay in those estates or small villages then leave a little bit early.

There's "difficult" and there's "blocked" but hopefully things will be ok come Saturday.

basehibby
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
With the roads and general transport systems in chaos if not complete shut down and emergency services et al stretched to the limit, the police are quite entitled to head off the possibility of tens of thousands of additional journeys being made when it can be avoided.

From my recent experiences on the roads, travelling fans who's trips have been aborted in recent weeks should probably be grateful to the Police for saving them from some journeys from hell. With the state of the roads right now, many fans would have to be up right early in the morning just to get there in time for KO and would have a long tortuous journey home to look forward to, enjoying speeds of 20-30mph on established trunk routes - and that's if the roads were passable at all.

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM

:top marks :agree:

I went shopping yesterday at asda. I normally take an hour to do the shop, but allowed 2 hours yesterday. If you are going to the cinema, and it starts at 8pm. And you normally take 20 minutes to get to the cinema, you'd allow yourself extra time to get there. Why is the fitba any different?

Phil MaGlass
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I think its fairer to cancel a game 1 or 2 days in advance rather than 1 or two hours before the game,BUT, only for pitches that are unplayable not because the f,n surrounding areas have ice or snow,what politically correct fked up world were living in now.Make a statement then saying attendance is at your own risk.:grr:

oh aye, Charlie yir an er5e.

legends of 73
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
just been on the irvine meadow message board and none of them are worried about the roads they are just looking forward to the game.

so are some hibs fans just wimps (i canny get there cos the big polis man told me not drive) get a grip if you can go then go if you can't then tough

truehibernian
07-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I think the bigger picture is, as previous posters have mentioned, cars and vehicles getting stuck, or accidents blocking roads/accesses, those that are infirm/elderly/disabled, large number of children attending games and risk to injury (sometimes serious, which would require ambulance attendance and fast escort). 16,000 people in a congested area does not allow for a smooth operation in these conditions I would hazard a guess. I would far rather get the advance warning we had for the Saints game though, than get told an hour beforehand. And hey, putting a wee positive slant on things, postponements can sometimes give players like Zemmama, who is carrying an injury, a bit more time to get treatment. Always gutted when games are off, but would rather see Hibees from all over the central belt (and beyond) getting there safely :agree:

Kojock
07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
The Police look at it from the position that if a major incident occurred in or around the stadium would the emergency services be able to gain acces promptly and safely. If there is any possibility that the emergency services could be delayed or are unable to gain access for whatever reason the Police will call the event off.

Unfortunately we now live in a blame culture. The Police and Local Authorities etc live in fear of being savaged at any subsequent Fatal Accident Inquiry.

Its okay saying that a major incident will never happen think back to Bradford etc.

Littlest Hobo
07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
That’s a bit of an over-reaction. If you're in fear of your life don't go to the match.

It's not that bad though - everyone (that wants to) can still get to their work and to the shops without dying so it's probably ok to get to the match as well.

Why is it an over reaction then? The met office are telling people to go out only if it's necessary, and there have been fatalities, oh and my Mrs couldn't get to work this morning because the trains were cancelled. OVER REACTION? I don';t think so!:grr:

legends of 73
07-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Why is it an over reaction then? The met office are telling people to go out only if it's necessary, and there have been fatalities, oh and my Mrs couldn't get to work this morning because the trains were cancelled. OVER REACTION? I don';t think so!:grr:

trains were cancelled because of a points failure nothing to to with the weather so stop over reacting:greengrin

The_Todd
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I can't believe that some people who live in the city are complaining that they can't go to the matches because they couldn't drive.

I understand that some out in the sticks might need to use private transport, but to those within city limits - catch a sodding bus or train. I know the bus service has been affected but not that badly.

And people hiding behind met office warnings advising you to not leave your house? Fine if you live in the Borders or the deepest parts of West Lothian where it's really been bad, but on the whole travelling within Edinburgh is a cakewalk - bus, car or on foot.

If you choose not to go to the match because of the weather, that's your perogative - I won't judge you, it's your call. But the majority can make it in (derby crowd indicates this), so the games should go on.

Another wee rant, I understand why the clubs might call games off though - the new "compensation culture" now rife where if someone hurts themselves they fall over themselves to sue. Sometimes people really do need to take responsibility for their own actions. Nobody forced you to go to the match after all.

Littlest Hobo
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
trains were cancelled because of a points failure nothing to to with the weather so stop over reacting:greengrin

Funny that because Shabba came out with exactly the same excuse :wink::greengrin

The_Todd
07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Funny that because Shabba came out with exactly the same excuse :wink::greengrin

:hilarious

Littlest Hobo
07-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I can't believe that some people who live in the city are complaining that they can't go to the matches because they couldn't drive.

I understand that some out in the sticks might need to use private transport, but to those within city limits - catch a sodding bus or train. I know the bus service has been affected but not that badly.

And people hiding behind met office warnings advising you to not leave your house? Fine if you live in the Borders or the deepest parts of West Lothian where it's really been bad, but on the whole travelling within Edinburgh is a cakewalk - bus, car or on foot.

If you choose not to go to the match because of the weather, that's your perogative - I won't judge you, it's your call. But the majority can make it in (derby crowd indicates this), so the games should go on.

Another wee rant, I understand why the clubs might call games off though - the new "compensation culture" now rife where if someone hurts themselves they fall over themselves to sue. Sometimes people really do need to take responsibility for their own actions. Nobody forced you to go to the match after all.

I went to the derby last sunday, I drove in from East Lothian were the roads are in a shocking way including the A1 to my horror. Managed to eventually get to ER but it was 20/30mph all the way. The roads were very dangerous but even worse than that, so were some other drivers on the road who didn't have a clue how to handle a vehicle in those conditions.

Golden Bear
07-01-2010, 11:24 AM
just been on the irvine meadow message board and none of them are worried about the roads they are just looking forward to the game.
so are some hibs fans just wimps (i canny get there cos the big polis man told me not drive) get a grip if you can go then go if you can't then tough

Jeez - does the world wide web now extend as far as Irvine?

Ain't technology a wonderful thing?

:greengrin

Killiehibbie
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Better not cross the road a bus might run you over.

LancsHibs
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Come on now get a grip, a bit of snow and folk start acting like pusseys, 'its too cold, i might slip, cant get to work :blah:....' Two world wars won and an empire wasn't built with sort of attitude was it:greengrin
The roads are fine if you drive slowly & carefully, I'm driving to the game from Lancashire....better set off now:bye:

JoeT_WasTheBest
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM

No mate. Surely, as you posted earlier in the thread, you'd just have to 'make do' :dunno:

lapsedhibee
07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
:grr: The ***** ****** **** TV news has now started reporting every fatality that occurs in the "Deep Freeze". "42 year old man killed on the A1 when his BMW hit a lorry" "teenager killed on the A1 when a lorry hit him on the hard shoulder". THEREFORE you should not go out on the roads for another two weeks until the weather gets better. :grr: Sensationalist pish! :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
No mate. Surely, as you posted earlier in the thread, you'd just have to 'make do' :dunno:

If the game's cancelled and moved to a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night because we're afraid everyone's going to slip and die then I think I should have to option of getting my £8 back for her ticket. My point being there's no real reason for the game being off so why shouldn't I get the option of a refund. I'd probably use the money towards going to the cinema or pizza hut or go shopping - all of which will still be open on Saturday afternoon.

However if it's still "hell" out there and as horrendous/dreadful/horrific/treacherous as it is just now and the game's on I'll "make do" and park where I can. :greengrin

tony
07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Choosing a country similar to ours in terms of size, northerness, population etc. the Danish footie season stops mid december and kicks off again around beginning of March. Pushes the season forward at both ends - though still ends at the end of May, meaning that more footie is played when the weather, and pitches, are better.....and thats not even talking about the benefits for the fans. And this could kick on for the kids, the future of our game, who, with a simple shift, could play longer and on better conditions throughout most of the year, for the benefit of us all. Crowds, and standards in Denmark are up, and they are hardly the craziest about the game. They do however, have players in most of the major leagues and, oh yes, qualified for the World Cup. Winter Footie. Love it.

CapitalHibs
07-01-2010, 05:32 PM
GAMES OFF

Active Nation Scottish Cup fourth round
Albion v Stirling
Ayr v Brechin
Edinburgh City v Montrose
Forfar v St Johnstone
Inverness CT v Motherwell
Kilmarnock v Falkirk
Morton v Celtic
Raith v Airdrie Utd
Ross County v Inverurie Loco Works
Livingston v Dundee

Irn-Bru Scottish Second Division
Cowdenbeath v Arbroath

Irn-Bru Scottish Third Division
Berwick v Stranraer
East Stirling v Queens Park

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM
GAMES OFF

Active Nation Scottish Cup fourth round
Albion v Stirling
Ayr v Brechin
Edinburgh City v Montrose
Forfar v St Johnstone
Inverness CT v Motherwell
Kilmarnock v Falkirk
Morton v Celtic
Raith v Airdrie Utd
Ross County v Inverurie Loco Works
Livingston v Dundee

Irn-Bru Scottish Second Division
Cowdenbeath v Arbroath

Irn-Bru Scottish Third Division
Berwick v Stranraer
East Stirling v Queens Park

Most of them are fair enough - none of them have undersoil heating. There's no way that the games at Killie, ICT and Livi should be off though.

In the good old days Morton would've had some punters out clearing the pitch on the morning of the game and the game would go ahead with an orange ball. They're likely to lose revenue with the game being moved to a Tuesday night so you'd think they'd try to get it on.

Killiehibbie
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Most of them are fair enough - none of them have undersoil heating. There's no way that the games at Killie, ICT and Livi should be off though.

In the good old days Morton would've had some punters out clearing the pitch on the morning of the game and the game would go ahead with an orange ball. They're likely to lose revenue with the game being moved to a Tuesday night so you'd think they'd try to get it on.

Ridiculous that they can't play at Rugby Park. There have been a few brief snow flurries since 22nd Dec the problem seems to be ice on roads and footways. Get a few shovels out and clear them it really doesn't take long.

Andy.1875
08-01-2010, 02:19 PM

These were postponed after following police advice.

http://http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=142&newsID=5402

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
These were postponed after following police advice.

http://http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=142&newsID=5402

That’s my point – the pitches are fine but the games are still off! Are the police advising all the shops to shut in Killie and the Almondvale to close on Saturday as well?

Killiehibbie
08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
That’s my point – the pitches are fine but the games are still off! Are the police advising all the shops to shut in Killie and the Almondvale to close on Saturday as well?

A quarter of the shops are closed permanently with more to follow but that's another story.