PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Fletcher

hibeeleicester
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Coming back to hibs......

Not really but rumours down souwf is that coyle would be hoping to bring him to the Reebok as hes fletchers greatest admirer.:agree:

Hibbyradge
06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
He was back on Sunday. :agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Would be a sideways move for him (much like Coyle's), and after having an enhanced reputation so far in the premiership, this one wont happen IMO, especially as the now resentful Burnley Football Club would be looking for a very decent profit on their £3m investment...

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 08:30 PM
There's also a rumour that part of the compensation agreement will include a clause that Coyle can't go back to buy Burnley players.

sadtom
06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
He was back on Sunday. :agree:

I know we had just gone a goal down but i thought it was a pretty muted reception for Fletch.
I've seen other posts by people suggesting it would be a good idea to invite former players back to take a bow and do the half time draw.
I think its a good idea myself but only if the player is going to be made to feel welcome and recieve a decent round of applause.
I was quite embarassed for him and if any other former players were watching i cant imagine they would be queueing up to do the same.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I know we had just gone a goal down but i thought it was a pretty muted reception for Fletch.
I've seen other posts by people suggesting it would be a good idea to invite former players back to take a bow and do the half time draw.
I think its a good idea myself but only if the player is going to be made to feel welcome and recieve a decent round of applause.
I was quite embarassed for him and if any other former players were watching i cant imagine they would be queueing up to do the same.

:agree: ER empties 5 minutes before half-time so folk can stand in a queue for a shan pie and miss the game - they're not back in time to applaud former players.

Westie1875
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM

I think it would have been better had we been told before kick off that Fletch would be making the halftime draw, that way folk might be paying attention at halftime, instead of the announcer quickly announcing he was there and doing the draw within 30 seconds before people have time to even register.

Was the same the game before with Jamie Murray, not enough made of it for folk to realise who was there.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Was the same the game before with Jamie Murray, not enough made of it for folk to realise who was there.

I didn't realise he done the draw and I didn't leave my seat! Although I did see him in the West Stand during the game.

Andy74
07-01-2010, 09:21 AM

Maybe if the guy hadn't spent the last year trying to get away and not bothering his erse a whole lt when he was here it may have been different?! :wink:

Hibbyradge
07-01-2010, 09:31 AM

As you say, we had just gone a goal down at the worst possible time, to our biggest rivals in a hugely important New Year game.

If we had been winning, or even on level terms, the reception would have been entirely different.

It won't affect future players' decisions to appear.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Once they are gone, they are gone as far as I'm concerned. If they have got a sell on clause in their contract at their new club I might take a bit of interest though! :tin hat:

Billychaotic182
07-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Once they are gone, they are gone as far as I'm concerned. If they have got a sell on clause in their contract at their new club I might take a bit of interest though! :tin hat:

Am sorry but i think your having a laught

This is a player who scored two goals for as in a cup final.

He also signed like a 5 year deal when everyone was thinking he was moving.

And he got our club a good 3.5 mill.

I think Steven should have been given a heros welcome on sunday.

Sandy
07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Am sorry but i think your having a laught

This is a player who scored two goals for as in a cup final.

He also signed like a 5 year deal when everyone was thinking he was moving.

And he got our club a good 3.5 mill.

I think Steven should have been given a heros welcome on sunday.

:top marks But not for where you live mate :greengrin tax dodging student :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
07-01-2010, 01:12 PM

I'd be more worried that there was a clause in his contract saying he has to play X amount of games for Burnley before they pay us in full. If he leaves now we would lose money if such a clause exists.

I say good luck to him for the reasons already listed by Billychaotic182.

Rory89
07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Fletcher was on the pitch at half time? :confused:

I was in the east stand the whole time and never noticed.

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Fletcher was on the pitch at half time? :confused:

IIRC it was much the same when he was playing.

benlowe
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM

He is and was the best young player out of the golden generation. If you did not notice him playing perhaps your half time pie was laced with acid. This is why I cant post on hibs forums anymore clueless.

whereswallace?
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Is that a pish attempt at humour?

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
He is and was the best young player out of the golden generation. If you did not notice him playing perhaps your half time pie was laced with acid. This is why I cant post on hibs forums anymore clueless.

Matter of opinion sunshine. If you think that a striker who can only use one foot and 9 times out of 10 chose to attempt a fancy flick instead of scoring an easy goal constitutes 'the best young player out of the golden generation' then by all means carry on, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Similarly, if you require the use of a colourful smiley face to indicate when someone isn't being entirely serious, and feel the need to insult someone when they don't agree with your opinion, maybe it's time to step away from the computer.

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM

As I've implied, mostly tongue in cheek but also a reference to the fact that I never understood the hero worshipping of an admittedly good player, who only had one foot and had a penchant for attempting flicks and tricks when the simpler option would have made more sense.

benlowe
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM

I really hope it was. Its not worth debating how good a player Fletcher was for Hibs. The fact that some hibs fans did not rate him is a shame. In his last season I only went to home games. Mainly I saw him running about daft chasing long ball after long ball behind one of the worst hibs midfields ever.

Even Benji got booed on his first game back.

Riordan got a heros welcome after making sure we got hardly any cash from celtic. Riordan should have got a great welcome. But please watch the league cup final again Benji/Fletch played quite well. One of my best days watching hibs benji/Fletch could run around edinburgh naked with a sign on their back saying I HATE HIBS and I would still wish them all the best :thumbsup:

whereswallace?
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Matter of opinion sunshine. If you think that a striker who can only use one foot and 9 times out of 10 chose to attempt a fancy flick instead of scoring an easy goal constitutes 'the best young player out of the golden generation' then by all means carry on, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Similarly, if you require the use of a colourful smiley face to indicate when someone isn't being entirely serious, and feel the need to insult someone when they don't agree with your opinion, maybe it's time to step away from the computer, yeah?

I wonder why a premiership team chose to pay £4m for a player with such limited abilities then? The same player that is now their top scorer,a full international,and is very highly rated by Burnley supporters.

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I really hope it was. Its not worth debating how good a player Fletcher was for Hibs. The fact that some hibs fans did not rate him is a shame. In his last season I only went to home games. Mainly I saw him running about daft chasing long ball after long ball behind one of the worst hibs midfields ever.

Even Benji got booed on his first game back.

Riordan got a heros welcome after making sure we got hardly any cash from celtic. Riordan should have got a great welcome. But please watch the league cup final again Benji/Fletch played quite well. One of my best days watching hibs benji/Fletch could run around edinburgh naked with a sign on their back saying I HATE HIBS and I would still wish them all the best :thumbsup:

As I suggested, I thought Fletcher was a decent player, but I just didn't understand the hero worshipping - currently it's the same with Riordan. They're Hibs players and thus I'll support them until they're not Hibs players - but that doesn't mean I have to worship the ground they walk on.

benlowe
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Similarly, if you require the use of a colourful smiley face to indicate when someone isn't being entirely serious, and feel the need to insult someone when they don't agree with your opinion, maybe it's time to step away from the computer.

"Fletcher was on the pitch at half time?

IIRC it was much the same when he was playing."

So you did notice him playing then ?

I am not your sunshine and he was a great player for hibs feel free to take the pi** out of his hibs playing days as an attempt at humour if you like but dont expect everyone to agree.

benlowe
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
As I suggested, I thought Fletcher was a decent player, but I just didn't understand the hero worshipping - currently it's the same with Riordan. They're Hibs players and thus I'll support them until they're not Hibs players - but that doesn't mean I have to worship the ground they walk on.

Well that entirely different. If you thought he was a decent player fair play. My brother was in the famous five and said some fans booed him. In the impression he got was they were serious.

whereswallace?
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM

How would you know,if as you said in your first post is true?Bit of a contradiction there,no?

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I wonder why a premiership team chose to pay £4m for a player with such limited abilities then? The same player that is now their top scorer,a full international,and is very highly rated by Burnley supporters.

I've repeatedly pointed out that I thought he was a good player, but not as good as many made out. I'm not so short-sighted that I wouldn't or couldn't see his potential; I can recognise a good player when I see one, and I could see Fletcher had talent, and still does. I often said he'd look like a far better player with the right management and the right players alongside him - I feel he lacked both of those at Hibs. However, I lost count of the number of times I saw him miss an easy chance to poke the ball into the net because he tried an audacious chip or a fancy flick. It was also clear, latterly, that he didn't particularly want to be at Hibs either. If I'm expected to support a team, I want every player to look interested - something Fletcher didn't always manage in my opinion.

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
How would you know,if as you said in your first post is true?Bit of a contradiction there,no?

I didn't realise there were so many posters on here lacking in a sense of humour. Next time I'll post a daft smiley face next to it and there'll be no issues...

Cropley10
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Do not feed the troll.

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
"Fletcher was on the pitch at half time?

IIRC it was much the same when he was playing."

So you did notice him playing then ?

I am not your sunshine and he was a great player for hibs feel free to take the pi** out of his hibs playing days as an attempt at humour if you like but dont expect everyone to agree.

I get the feeling what was intended as a tongue in cheek comment designed to take the mickey out of the clowns who booed him during the latter part of his tenure at Hibs has been totally misinterpreted...possibly because I neglected to include a smiley to indicate thus. Whatever the reasons, I'd just like to point out that I thought Fletcher was a good player, but a little overrated. And yes, I was sorry to see him go because he was a good player, despite what I thought. Sadly it was somewhat inevitable that he was going to move on to a bigger club.

Are we done here lads? No hard feelings?

whereswallace?
07-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I didn't realise there were so many posters on here lacking in a sense of humour. Next time I'll post a daft smiley face next to it and there'll be no issues...

Nothing wrong with my sense of humour sunshine!

Bayern Bru
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Nothing wrong with my sense of humour sunshine!

:wink::greengrin

Dashing Bob S
07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Surprised Hearts haven't come in with a sneaky little offer.

Wait...he's not a World Cup star.

ancient hibee
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Surprised Hearts haven't come in with a sneaky little offer.

Wait...he's not a World Cup star.
And never will be.

Billychaotic182
07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
And never will be.

I would not say that. He is like what 22 and most of our scotland players are in there late 20s early 30s so there are a good few world cups we could make with him being in the team.

ancient hibee
07-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I would not say that. He is like what 22 and most of our scotland players are in there late 20s early 30s so there are a good few world cups we could make with him being in the team.
Only if we are ever host nation.

Billychaotic182
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Only if we are ever host nation.

Hahaha Yeah right i can see it now. "your joining us here at tannadice for the quarter final between germany and france"

:faf:

rainman
07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Have to admit, seeing Fletcher realise his potential, hibs fans should feel a little short changed by his final year's performances.

Jonnyboy
07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Maybe if the guy hadn't spent the last year trying to get away and not bothering his erse a whole lt when he was here it may have been different?! :wink:

Is that the same 'last year' during which he scored eleven goals Andy?

Bayern Bru
08-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Is that the same 'last year' during which he scored eleven goals Andy?

Stokes has already scored ten, and isn't as good as Fletcher imo.
:cool2:

hstn747
08-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Fletcher & his pal didn't come back to their seats for the second half. Must have had somewhere better to be. :confused:

GlesgaeHibby
08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Have to admit, seeing Fletcher realise his potential, hibs fans should feel a little short changed by his final year's performances.

How on Earth was he meant to realise his potential and be top class for us when we had a non existent midfield last season?

He is only realising his potential as Burnley are playing football on the deck and giving him good service.

I lost count of the amount of times Fletcher had to drop unnaturally deep to get the ball last season, as the midfield was hiding. When he wasn't dropping deep it was lumped up to Nish, who simply isn't a target man, and we'd lose possession again.

Mixu's genius tactics even stretched as far as playing him as a central midfielder for a few games last season! No wonder he's doing well at Burnley so quickly- he's being played in position, with decent service.