PDA

View Full Version : NHC The bets that broke you

Captain Trips
06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Today I decided to give up betting for the forseable future, when I say bets that broke you I meant just pissed off with a bet.

I was waiting on 3 teams, Inter, Roma and Lazio, Inter had won and Lazio were 3-1 up with 5mins and Roma were 2-0 up at 90mins. Roma though managed to let in 2 goals in injury time, No matter what you do there are always some clowns to ruin it for you. It was only £40 to be won but I felt sickened by it.

What bets sickened you?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I cannae remember how much it was for, but, I seem to remember Gretna letting my coupon down after being 3 up at Firhill with about 10 mins left.

1875godsgift
06-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I gave up betting on Hibs years ago, apart from always having a wee punt on us winning the league, as the odds are terrific!
All the rest of the time, we always seemed to lose when we should have won, or won when we should have lost, just not worth putting in an accumulator!

FitbaFolkKen
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I had a fourteen team accumulator on in 2002 as i had 1 pound left in my skybet account, 13 games in the afternoon and one at 530 that night.

Checked results at 5, all 13 in the evening fixture was leicester portsmouth i had picked leicester who got beat 2-0 at home to 2 goals in the last ten minutes.

I was a little sickened by that tbh, more so because i never expected anything but at 5pm i had already decided how i was going to spend 2500!!!

The other one that sickened me was when ladbrokes messed up their odds for anytime scorers in an arsenal game and i got 9's on henry and 40's on campbell, lumped on both, both scored and got in from footie to find the bets had been cancelled!

On the flipside though the £20 i had on jones for first goal in the league cup final made that weekend last a little longer :greengrin Not my biggest win, but my favourite one...if carlsberg made weekends....

Fife-Hibee
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
6-0, Chris Killen first scorer against Livingston at 175/1.

Granted it was only a few quid on, but seeing Steven Fletcher knock in the 7th was a bitter sweet situation!:grr::thumbsup:

lugz
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Arsenal let me down last season when they drew 4-4 with spurs, in the pub wi all the lads bragging about how my coupon was up and there was only 5 mins to go with arsenal up 4-2.....oh well!!

Also Man city let my mate down this season for £400 when they drew at home with burnley!

lyonhibs
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I always used to put on 1 "unadventerous" accumulator, and one "Pie in the Sky" accumulator.

Of course, normally they were both kaput by half time, but on one occasion, my far fetched one - a combination of draws and away wins - was on to win.

All I needed was for Peterhead (who - along with Gretna - had been pishing all over their division) to score a goal away to East Stirlingshire (in that season where they almost went the whole season without winning) and I would have been up something like £500.

Could they manage it? Could they f***!!

0-0 draw (or a draw of some type at least) and a serious ripping in the pub from my mates!!!

:grr: :grr: :grr:

andyhibs
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
bet sammy7could tell a few tales:rolleyes:

Killiehibbie
06-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Too many to mention. You just have to forget about it put it down as one of those things or forget all about checking results until games are well over unless you want to do a bit trading.

Wotherspiniesta
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Just the other week there, I was waiting on West Brom to come through. Derby went 1 up and were bossing the game according to SSN, West Brom equalised with 8 mins to go and they went for a goalflash at Pride park in the 92nd minute. I was on the edge of my seat, and it came up: Derby 1-2 West Brom. I was over the moon, counting my winnings as all the other games in the country finished. All, except the West Brom game where they went back for ANOTHER injury time goal, telling me of how DJ Campbell celebrated a 96th minute equaliser. Near crushed my spirit :boo hoo:

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 08:00 PM
A mate of mine had £20 on 5 results the other week, 4 came up and Cardiff let him down. 4-4 away at Peterbourgh after being 4-0 up. £1100 it would have paid.:greengrin

Del Boy
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
A mate of mine had £20 on 5 results the other week, 4 came up and Cardiff let him down. 4-4 away at Peterbourgh after being 4-0 up. £1100 it would have paid.:greengrin

Cardiff let me down that day as well for about £160! :boo hoo:

Storar
06-01-2010, 08:04 PM
The game when Eduardo ****ed up his ankle against Birmingham, James McFadden scored a last minute equaliser which single handedly lost me 14k from 17 teams (or 17k from 14 teams). The game was an early kick off so my bet was bust straight away but didn't expect to win anyway. When I got home after the Hibs game I checked the other scores and all the rest won. :sick:

Sergey
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I lost about £2k on a nag a few years ago called Chai-Yo. I'd backed it ante-post for months for the Champion Hurdle at prices ranging from 125/1 to 66/1. The odd £100 to win £12,500 here and there and I had a decent wad of bets that would have netted me a fortune. I was certain that the trainer was trying to land a coup with this horse.

The week before the Festival the horse ran in the Sunderlands Imperial Cup, the winner of that race would pick up a huge cash bonus if it went on to win a race at Cheltenham.

The horse was going to piss the race before falling heavily 2 out while pulling clear. It unfortunately picked up an injury and was subsequently withdrawn from the Champion Hurdle.

That really hurt. I never even got a race for my money!

Littlest Hobo
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Had a 0-0 £5 @ 10/1 Aston Villa vs Liverpool Torres scored two minutes into injury time. Gutted or what:grr:

.Sean.
06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I had £3 on twelve teams last year, i put the bet on on my 18th birthday as I was feeling lucky. Can't remember exactly who the teams were, but I marked my bet 'wrong'- I had meant to put Arsenal on to beat Fulham, marked Fulham by accident though. Hey ho, Fulham came in for me. Then i've checked all my scores apart from two games in the SFL and they've all came in, except Liverpool.

Gerrard then scores a last minute winner... two scores to check.

Dundee win...

Annan Athletic, unbeaten in the league... ****ING DRAW AT ****TING MONTROSE :grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

£3564.76

Still sick about it :boo hoo:

Beat that...

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Man city let my mate down this season for £400 when they drew at home with burnley!I was in City Limits watching Soccer Saturday that day and that happened to a boy in there, he was getting it tight from his "mates" which ive never understood, its always better to see the bookies lose!

hibsbollah
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I like to think I know a bit about American Football but never really bet seriously or with serious money on any sport. A few years ago at the Superbowl I fancied underdogs Tampa Bay to beat the Raiders by a big margin, so i put £10 on them to win by 25-29 points at 40/1, and doubled it by predicting their QB to be most valuable player at 3/1 or something.

Lo and behold I was spot on, the Bucs won by 28 points and their quarterback had had a big game, but they hadnt actually announced the MVP award before British TV went to bed at 3am. I went to bed confident I'd just won over £1000 on a £10 stake. Woke up a few hours later, checked t'internet and they had given the MVP to some defensive player so i'd lost the lot:grr:

Apart from the occasional fiver on Hibs score, i dont think i'll ever get into betting in a big way, i think its sad when you hear about proper addicts who lose everything...

sambajustice
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
When I lost a hand at at poker with a straight flush. I think I spent £30 or £40 on the hand.

I had 8,9,10,J,Q of Clubs, the guy i was betting against kept upping it, i knew he must've had the ace so was betting on an Ace flush.

He did have the Ace, he also had the flaming King!!! :grr::grr::grr:

(The 10,J,Q were the community cards)

HibbyAndy
06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Arsenal let me down last season when they drew 4-4 with spurs, in the pub wi all the lads bragging about how my coupon was up and there was only 5 mins to go with arsenal up 4-2.....oh well!!

Also Man city let my mate down this season for £400 when they drew at home with burnley!

I had that bet for £100 quid :agree: and it was actually the 93rd min Spurs made it 3-4 then in the 95th minute the made it 4-4, i actually felt physically sick.

joe breezy
06-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I had a 10 team accumulator at the start of the season and just needed Evetyon to finish it by beatibg Burnley at Burnley. I was on to win £10 grand, gutted as I thought all the difficult ones had come off with the Huns beating Hearts with a last minute penalty and Spurs beating West Ham late on.

I also once put a drunken bet of £1500 on Hibs to beat St Mirren and they beat us 2-1.

My dad taught me betting is a mugs game and I think he was right.

CB_NO3
06-01-2010, 10:27 PM

I backed Arsenal that game aswell, the problem with mine was I was waiting on Everton to win and they scored in the 90th minute to go 1-0 up so I was jumping about my livingroom mad. Then within seconds boom, bet is up in the air. I went from jumping about mad to holding my head nearly crying.

BS44
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Us v Dundee Utd last season, 2-2 at Tannadice. I had us to win 2-1 and Nish 1st goal, £10 60/1. Nish done his bit and scored the first (& second) and we led 2-1 until the 90th minute, and then the useless ****ers conceded a last minute goal.

PeterboroHibee
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Dont usually bet on Hibs, but had a couple of pound on Hibs to beat Rangers 3-2 (cant remember if it was ER or Ibrox) at about 40/1. Actually got to that score, but in the 80 oddth minute Rangers scored. Was gutted.

Another one, has a pound on 1-0 United, Hunt first scorer in the League Cup final couple of seasons ago when they played Rangers. Was looking good then that ******** Mark Kerr had to do that stupid ****ing backpass.

mglancy23
06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
last season i was waiting on arsenal to beat hull at the emirates

was getting about £150 back

hull beat them

Woody1985
06-01-2010, 11:05 PM
My little cousin who was 15 at the time, around a year and a half ago, used to get his mum to put a quid on a coupon every week from him and he had an accumulator that was paying in the region of 18k. My aunt used to take the pish out him every week saying that it would never come in but she put it on regardless.

All of the teams with the exception of preston, IIRC, had come in and they were a late KO.

My aunt was winding him up saying that if it came in it was her money anyway as he was too young to bet. She had him nearly in tears. :faf:

My other cousin was doing driving lessons at the time and he had promised to buy her the Ford KA that she wanted if it came in...

They were all sitting round the TV, my aunt, uncle, cousin who placed the bet and his two sisters, all watching the game. They got beat. :faf: They were all gutted. I couldn't help but laugh when they phoned after the game to say they had lost. Felt quite shan as I probably would have got a sub. :greengrin

I had a bet up the other week with 3 teams, it was during the falkirk game IIRC. We went down the ER early to go into BTG and nipped into the bookies next to the nip. I marked my coupon and had portsmouth but they guy said it had just kicked off so I just went with the remaining teams. My 3 teams came in and I checked later and portsmouth had won. Got £30 from a £2 bet so was still happy enough but would have had double that otherwise.

lugz
06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I had that bet for £100 quid :agree: and it was actually the 93rd min Spurs made it 3-4 then in the 95th minute the made it 4-4, i actually felt physically sick.

Yeah thats right, even when the 3rd wentin i was still confident but NO they had to conceed again!!! :grr:

Mike777
06-01-2010, 11:53 PM
There is a horse called Little Shilling.... its runing like a donkey this season !! :grr: prbably about 40 notes lost on it.
compared to last year when it had 6 straight wins in a row.

tonight 5 teams.

Inter
lazio
juvie
milan
atl madrid :grr:

£212.56 for just a £10.

Also Man utd game 2-2 £3 stake, Arsenal 3-0 £3 stake, the a £2 double.
Is it possible just to keep this on?

Mike777
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
My little cousin who was 15 at the time, around a year and a half ago, used to get his mum to put a quid on a coupon every week from him and he had an accumulator that was paying in the region of 18k. My aunt used to take the pish out him every week saying that it would never come in but she put it on regardless.

All of the teams with the exception of preston, IIRC, had come in and they were a late KO.

My aunt was winding him up saying that if it came in it was her money anyway as he was too young to bet. She had him nearly in tears. :faf:

My other cousin was doing driving lessons at the time and he had promised to buy her the Ford KA that she wanted if it came in...

They were all sitting round the TV, my aunt, uncle, cousin who placed the bet and his two sisters, all watching the game. They got beat. :faf: They were all gutted. I couldn't help but laugh when they phoned after the game to say they had lost. Felt quite shan as I probably would have got a sub. :greengrin

I had a bet up the other week with 3 teams, it was during the falkirk game IIRC. We went down the ER early to go into BTG and nipped into the bookies next to the nip. I marked my coupon and had portsmouth but they guy said it had just kicked off so I just went with the remaining teams. My 3 teams came in and I checked later and portsmouth had won. Got £30 from a £2 bet so was still happy enough but would have had double that otherwise.

Probably the worse off them all so far.

cad
07-01-2010, 02:21 AM
To many to mention but a good few years ago a real sore one was 2 from each section very first team let us down Liverpool at home to Derby Kevin Harper header :grr:,
You guessed it rest came in ,over £3k my mate reckoned

RMG_82
07-01-2010, 04:15 AM
I put a bet on a horse at 10 to 1

it came in at ten to 2

:faf:

Hibs07p
07-01-2010, 08:21 AM
About 30 years ago I went into a little independant bookies just along from the Golf in Duke St and did a 50P reverse forecast on 2 horses, The Vinegar Man and Tilthammer Mill. They finished 1st and 2nd at odds of 16/1 and 25/1 and I won about £50 which was the shops maximum payout limit on a single race. If I had put it on in a big national bookies I would have won a lot more!

Killiehibbie
07-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I always remember a guy I worked with telling the story about his brother in law about 20 years ago.
50p on 3 from each section, 14 up on Saturday waiting on Arsenal to win at Old Trafford on the Sunday for £500,000. Arsenal leading 1-0 then in the 85th minute David O'leary scores an own goal. 1-1 final score.

Geo_1875
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I had a few quid on Milan winning the CL and stood to get avbout £800 back. Was watching it in a pub in London and they were rogering Liverpool 3-0 at half-time. I'd spent a huge lump of my "winnings" by the time they got to a penalty shoot-out and the rest is history. :bye:

Ed De Gramo
07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I had £3 on twelve teams last year, i put the bet on on my 18th birthday as I was feeling lucky. Can't remember exactly who the teams were, but I marked my bet 'wrong'- I had meant to put Arsenal on to beat Fulham, marked Fulham by accident though. Hey ho, Fulham came in for me. Then i've checked all my scores apart from two games in the SFL and they've all came in, except Liverpool.

Gerrard then scores a last minute winner... two scores to check.

Dundee win...

Annan Athletic, unbeaten in the league... ****ING DRAW AT ****TING MONTROSE :grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

£3564.76

Still sick about it :boo hoo:

Beat that...

Nando will :wink:

cwilliamson85
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I had a 10 team accumulator and all teams came up apart for Barca and Inter drawing. Inter winning 1-0 and Henry misses the ball from 3 yards out. Missed out on £850 from a £5 bet. Gutted!

Even rangers got a draw in Stuttgart that night:grr:

aberhibsfc
07-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I couldn't put a Fruit Pastel in my mouth without chewing it.

RoscoHibby
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM

That one burst me for around £200 aswell, was the later kick off and other teams won. Actually the gooners were 4-2 up in the 90th min, was champagne football the whole 2nd half and could conceivably been 6-2 no bother, possibly more.

On the flip side though, Airdrie scoring 2 goals in injury time to beat dunfermline 4-3 a few years won me n my mate £1800.

Cant let it get you down, rough wi the smooth n aw that!

SRHibs
07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I can't remember what the teams were, but I had a tenner on 4 outsiders(36/1) odds. I got greedy and decided to stick Leeds on as a 5th team to get myself an extra few quid. All 4 teams came and I was certain I'd won. Checked the leeds score and they had drawn 0-0. Was ****ing gutted.
Felt like I had lost £400.

DirtyDeeds
07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Earlier this season, picked 8 Champions League games over the two days. A few certainties, the rest were a bit dubious but quite realistic given it had been an unpredictable year so far. Chucked a tenner on at about 75-1, had got a decent win over the weekend so was feelin slightly fruity. Barca got gubbed at home by that Russian mob, everything else came in. That was a sore sore night in the pub with the boys. Barca's odds were so crap, if id excluded them i would still have got around 65-1 according to my heavy gambling/human odds-calculator mate.

Still riles me!!!

Scorrie
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Reckon that must be the ultimate sickener that.

mate at work's syndicate had 6 results in just before Christmas. the seventh would have netted nealry 7 grand for the group. you guessed it...7th one failed and culprit who had selected it was suitably chastised!

(((Fergus)))
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Is anybody actually up on the bookies? :duck:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Just remembered another sair one! £10 treble on 3 aways (all about 3/1), Notts Forest & Villa had won away from home against some E European teams in the afternoon, so, it was all going on to Dnipro at Tynie, so, I even made the effort to go to the game, Dnipro gut humped and I was outed for being of a Green & White persuasion by some Jambo elephant that I used to work beside which basically summed up my night! :boo hoo:

Doesnae look like it was Forest! Man Utd won away from home that day, but, doubt they would have been 3's! anyway it was still a sair one!

joe breezy
07-01-2010, 03:10 PM

There are a few professional gamblers but not many.
It's also quite easy for someone to cross from recreational gambler to compulsive gambler and once that's happened the game's up the pole.

One of my mates knew a pro who last year lost £60grand and had to knock it on the head.

There are people who use trading software on Betfair that make money - it's dull though, spreadsheets based on probabilities.

With the unpredictability of this season it's very difficult to make money on football certainly.

H18sry
07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
League cup mid nineties
I had on a twelve team accy for a ten spot and it was paying just over 8 grand only one team beat me Manure 0 York city 3 at the swamp :grr::grr::grr::grr:

Delboy4
07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Today I decided to give up betting for the forseable future, when I say bets that broke you I meant just pissed off with a bet.

I was waiting on 3 teams, Inter, Roma and Lazio, Inter had won and Lazio were 3-1 up with 5mins and Roma were 2-0 up at 90mins. Roma though managed to let in 2 goals in injury time, No matter what you do there are always some clowns to ruin it for you. It was only £40 to be won but I felt sickened by it.

What bets sickened you?

I had £50 on Roma to win at 7/4.

I could not beleive it when they let two goals in - 91st and 93rd minute...
:grr:

Did you watch the game? I watched it on William Hill TV - Just about through laptop out the window!!!!!!:grr:

Captain Trips
07-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Did you watch the game? I watched it on William Hill TV - Just about through laptop out the window!!!!!!:grr:

Oh yes I watched it, now when that first went in did you get a feeling that this was gonna be a sore one. The 2nd goal was just shocking, you cant help it your mind is counting that money in the 89th.

I had a team in Spain last season who were at 2-2 I think went 3-2 up other team got man sent off went 4-2 up, counting the cash until 4-4 at the death.

Last season was the worst ever for 1 team blowing it being in front by 2 for me.

Killiehibbie
07-01-2010, 04:22 PM

The only way, unless you hit that big roll up, is to chip away at them with singles. It took me a while but the last 5 years have all shown a profit. The hardest part now is getting on at the best prices.

Johnny_Leith
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm marginally down this season, would have been up if Liverpool had beaten Reading!! Two seasons ago I made quite a profit but this years been really unpredictable with all the shock results.

A bad one from this season was a silly 14 team £1 accumulator. It came down to a Champs League night and I was round at a mates on the laptop keeping an eye on the scores and needing Real Madrid to win for £200 or so was delighted to see the word GOAL come up, only to see it was AC Milan who had sneaked a last minute winner :boo hoo:

Speedy
07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
The Spurs v Everton game was a bit of a sickener for me. I only had a single on them, think I was gonna get about £27 back or something but it was still annoying. 2 Nil up, then 2-2 and finally they miss an injury time penalty.

gstarbry1875
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I remember a few seasons ago my mate put a crazy £10 line on and was waiting on Tottenham to beat Liverpool at Anfield for £2500. well they were winning 2-1 and the game went 6 minutes into injury time and Torres popped up with a header at the back post and made it 2-2. i had phoned him just before the goal went in saying congratulations and bang 2-2!! lol he has had a few like that since then too. not the luckiest of guys!!

He's a jambo though so who gives a ....

HFC07
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Should never think of it as "ive just lost out on £2500 (or what every amount)", because you never had it in the frst place, I alway look on it as ive only lost my stake.

Dav1986
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM

My mate had roma as part of a yankee with inter and two others, Inter had won and all 3 games his teams were winning 2-0 going into injury time so he thought it was up. went online a coupe of hours later to find that roma conceded those two goals and subsequently lost out on an extra £240/£250 on that bet

TRC
19-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Most gutting for me (and there has been a fair few). Was a few years ago in the east stand before kick off of a cup game and picked up the hibs coupon for the match, after a quick scan of score casts so put £5 on hibs to win 8-0 which was the last score cast on the coupon imagine my delight as hibs raced to a 8-0 score line i think it was about 10 mins to go when i think steven dobbie scored never cursed a hibs player so much. The game was against Montrose. next team in the cup

miniboco
19-01-2010, 07:11 PM
2/3 years ago, was down in newcastle staying over for the newcastle sunderland game on the sunday. 13 team accumulator with £10 quid on and a couple of draws in totaling £12,000! (I **** you not)
Come 4.45pm was pretty gone and was reading the full time results on me phone on the live vidiprinter and was convinced i'd won!
Conmenced in a very heavy night of drinking and boasting about my win with me ending up waking up on my bedroom floor in the grand hotel? (one next to the station) butt naked with a half eaten baked tattie beside me :confused:
went down stairs and turned out i only had 12... charlton were one nil up going into injury time and shipped two goals...

This was the third time i've been reduced to tears apart from milan surrendering a 3nil lead to liverpool in the CL Final and thus losing on penalties and the scotland italy game which put us out of the campaign a couple of years ago because of football...

Then the next week had 10/11 due to celtic drawing 1all at home to st mirren with deek scoring an 85th minute equaliser...

I think to myself why do I bother with gambling...

Then I remember; I'm not a quitter :wink:

KWJ
19-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm what you would call a recovering addict I suppose, I've currently gone 24 hours :wink:

It's fair to say I've had a fair few sickeners. I also bet for a professional gambler through one of my accounts, I get 5% of winnings. I'm skint and he had a bet that was already returning about 5k but if Drogba had of scored for IC against Burkino Faso it would have gone up to around 60k which would have been a bit different with my 5%. Could've had a pen in the first min then he does bugger all.

Man U at home to Leeds proper sickened me when I thought 1.29 is surely buying money. There is no such thing.

I wish I could go back to my adventurous £5 coupons but it just stirs up the gambler inside me.

As someone said earlier about a horse going for the champion hurdle and not running I had one of them, not as much as him though. It does utterly suck, would have pissed the race but was lame. Came back a month later and won the race that most of the other hurdlers are in. Name escapes me just now.

The poker story is pretty interesting, I'd be chuffed getting beat by a Royal Flush if you know what I mean, one coming up is worth £40 for the story.

I had a flukey tricast come up last night on the dogs and thus I'm considering it a nice way to leave betting. It won't last.

KWJ
19-01-2010, 07:29 PM
oh I accys are the most fun and I think my most gutting one still to this day is when Cowdenbeath made mine up in the 90th minute when I think big Keith scored for them. I was a 15 year old about to get my hands on near 400 quid until bloody Raith Rovers scored against one of my teams in the 91st minute and it was down again. Cowdenbeath then conceded an equaliser in the 92nd so two let it down. I was so happy for about 30 seconds.

I love Jeff Stelling but I bet he's not have pissed off a few punters!