PDA

View Full Version : Yams St Mirren

Alex Trager
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Can i ask why so many of them hate St Mirren?

bawheid
05-01-2010, 08:30 PM

It's got something to do with 1986, but not entirely sure what. :confused:

One Day Soon
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Are you kidding? Albert Kidding?

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM

St Mirren lost 5-0 to Celtic in May 1986. This coupled with a Hearts 2-0 loss to Dundee meant that Celtic won the league on goal difference.

It's a thing that a lot of them won't forget, they have however managed to forget that they only needed to draw against Dundee to win the league (which they got within minutes of holding on for BTW).

It's a blame-shifting thing - they blew it themselves so rather than accept that they blame St Mirren.

bawheid
05-01-2010, 08:34 PM
St Mirren lost 5-0 to Celtic in May 1986. This coupled with a Hearts 2-0 loss to Dundee meant that Celtic won the league on goal difference.

It's a thing that a lot of them won't forget, they have however managed to forget that they only needed to draw against Dundee to win the league (which they got within minutes of holding on for BTW).

It's a blame-shifting thing - they blew it themselves so rather than accept that they blame St Mirren.

Oh aye, that was it. :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
It was St Mirrens fault that they lost the league in 1986.

This is depsite the fact that they went to Dens Park to play for a draw...what they didnt bank on was Sir Albert of Kidd...as Andy Gray would say take a bow son!

Alex Trager
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Are you kidding? Albert Kidding?

See the thing is i'm seventeen , therefore was born six years after this , and TBH i don't really look into their history, as this is yammish i.e. 1902. but i do accept if you were there to witness these things then you'd know them

Saorsa
05-01-2010, 08:39 PM
It was St Mirrens fault that they lost the league in 1986.

This is depsite the fact that they went to Dens Park to play for a draw...what they didnt bank on was Sir Albert of Kidd...as Andy Gray would say take a bow son!was that this game :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

One Day Soon
05-01-2010, 08:40 PM
See the thing is i'm seventeen , therefore was born six years after this , and TBH i don't really look into their history, as this is yammish i.e. 1902. but i do accept if you were there to witness these things then you'd know them

Fantastic. You've just reminded me that it was 23 years ago and yet its impossible to tire of it. Oh the perms, the tears and the sheer hilarity.

Mibbes Aye
05-01-2010, 08:40 PM

I heard it was because St Mirren had won as many big Cups as them in the last 100 years, but had NEVER dingied poor, hard-working den mothers for their money....

FACT!!! :agree:

As for 1986, I reckon that's just hearsay. No self-respecting footall team could manufacture their own demise in such a pitiful fashion. Without documentary evidence I'm afraid to say I just don't believe these stories of Homfc bottling the leaue title...

EDIT - I see Desperate Dan has pre-empted my "search for truth". I'm still not quite convinced though - a picture of a greeting-faced Yam on the Dens terracing might seal this?

KeithTheHibby
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM

It was hilarious mate and is still as funny almost 25 years on....bottle crashing yams.

They also went on to get humped in the Scottish Cup final a week after by Aberdeen - I am sure the grey strips they wore got the blame for that.

Peevemor
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Oh aye, that was it. :greengrin

Not exactly. :nerd:

If Hearts had drawn, then Celtc had to win by 4 or 5 clear goals to win the league on goal difference. As it happened, prince Alberto de Kidd turned the yams over therefore the soapdodgers won the league by a point.

But it's still all St Mirren's fault. :yawn:

Hibs07p
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
St Mirren also beat Hearts 6-2 at the beginning of that season as well. You could say St Mirren had a big say in who won the league that year! :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2010, 08:46 PM

If Hearts had drawn, then Celtc had to win by 4 or 5 clear goals to win the league on goal difference. As it happened, prince Alberto de Kidd turned the yams over therefore the soapdodgers won the league by a point.

I don't think so (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_League_1985%E2%80%9386)- they won the league on goal difference. Funnily enough after Hearts blew the league in the 60s on goal average they campaigned for the change to goal difference. They really need to earn to keep their mouth shut.

Frazerbob
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM

That's not how I remember it. I thought they had to lose and there had to be a 3 or 4 goal swing for Celtic to win the title.

Could be wrong but I will never for get the sound when Kidd scored the 2 goals as Hibs were playing out an end of season shocker with United at ER. Never thought the sound of 3500 Hibs fans laughing could be so loud!

matty_f
05-01-2010, 08:48 PM
St Mirren also beat Hearts 6-2 at the beginning of that season as well. You could say St Mirren had a big say in who won the league that year! :greengrin

6-2, you say?

I wonder if anyone else has skelped the Yams by that scoreline...

Anyone? :dunno:

Peevemor
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't think so (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_League_1985%E2%80%9386)- they won the league on goal difference. Funnily enough after Hearts blew the league in the 60s on goal average they campaigned for the change to goal difference. They really need to earn to keep their mouth shut.

That's not how I remember it. I thought they had to lose and there had to be a 3 or 4 goal swing for Celtic to win the title.

Could be wrong but I will never for get the sound when Kidd scored the 2 goals as Hibs were playing out an end of season shocker with United at ER. Never thought the sound of 3500 Hibs fans laughing could be so loud!

Woops! I stand corrected. :Ummm:

bawheid
05-01-2010, 09:01 PM
6-2, you say?

I wonder if anyone else has skelped the Yams by that scoreline...

Anyone? :dunno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0&feature=related

lapsedhibee
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Yes but the BIG difference between the two matches was that in the one at the end of the season St Mirren conspired with Celtc to hand them the title. Frank Somebody was an ex-Celt.

This day - Sir Albert Day, Third Of May - was the day on which the yams' increasingly scary belief that everything that goes wrong in their world is the result of some conspiracy or other outside it was born.

matty_f
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Ya beauty! I tell you - I bet the away end, crammed full as it must have been that night (given how much the derby means to these trumpets) were sick as parrots.

Baader
05-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Just like to say that I met Sir Albert Kidd whilst in Australia. Bought him a pint and had a chat. He lived near Adelaide at the time. Prefers to be called 'Albie' :thumbsup:

bawheid
05-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Ya beauty! I tell you - I bet the away end, crammed full as it must have been that night (given how much the derby means to these trumpets) were sick as parrots.

I was there Matty and surprisingly, given the big huge massiveness of the club they support, they only took a couple of hundred, maybe a thousand max.

I think they were boycotting because of ummm...ermmm...the cost of the match programme though, so let's be fair to them. :agree:

matty_f
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I was there Matty and surprisingly, given the big huge massiveness of the club they support, they only took a couple of hundred, maybe a thousand max.

I think they were boycotting because of ummm...ermmm...the cost of the match programme though, so let's be fair to them. :agree:

Wow, I'm surprised at that. It's not like them to claim a boycott at ER when they don't fancy it.

heretoday
05-01-2010, 09:24 PM
St Mirren are OK by me. I'll defend them to the hilt. Paisley Punters are all right.

wpj
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM

One of my favourite days at ER and we lost! A good overview here: http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19860503.html
Respect as always for an excellent database for Scottish fitba
Look where the huns are!

Speedway
05-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Is it wrong that the events of that fateful day in 1986 still make me laugh now whenever they're brought up?

allmodcons
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Was at ER that day to and can remember Paul Kane coming over to the shed side asking for updates from Dens whilst game against United was going on.

Albert Kidd. Has there ever been a better 'impact sub'.

The_Sauz
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Was at ER that day to and can remember Paul Kane coming over to the shed side asking for updates from Dens whilst game against United was going on.

Albert Kidd. Has there ever been a better 'impact sub'.
Ivan at Ibrox :agree:

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Whilst i'll always have a soft spot for Dundee and Albert Kidd, it's great to see St Mirren getting the credit they deserve for the 86 flag race on this site.

St Mirren 6 Yams 2

(Yams then start massive unbeaten run only to lose last game at Dundee)

St Mirren 0 Celtic 5

That's a massive swing of 9 goals and the Yams only lost it by two.

So well done you Buddies!

steviehfc
06-01-2010, 06:27 AM
It's got something to do with 1986, but not entirely sure what. :confused::devil: :faf: :thumbsup: Ah 1986, i was only a Kidd at the time.

Sandy
06-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Thanks for really making me smile today watched that and will NEVER tire of watching it again and again and ............... :notworthy:

Caversham Green
06-01-2010, 08:04 AM
But Celtc only got two points for that game. According to Dipped Flake, that's nothing to get wound up about. Surely that can't be the reason they hate St Mirren?

weonlywon6-2
06-01-2010, 08:11 AM

thought there was more than that at easter road?

remember gordon rae comming over to the east terracing asking what the score was :thumbsup::thumbsup:

what a day !!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::

sambajustice
06-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Albert Kidd. Has there ever been a better 'tache'.

:faf:

Bostonhibby
06-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Is it because St Mirren are not Rangers?

Also possibly has something to do with how St Mirren performed during key games in that magical season :faf:

Joe Baker II
06-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the 1987 Scottish Cup semi final which was also sore one for Hearts (though less so than 1988 injury time 2 goals from McGhee the following year) as it also ultimately cost them a good chance of cup win against a tired Dundee United and a European place.

bawheid
06-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for really making me smile today watched that and will NEVER tire of watching it again and again and ............... :notworthy:

The 4th and 6th goals are things of real beauty. :agree:

crewetollhibee
06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
And me, I'd forgotten Jacko was on the bench for them. In the excitement of watching the game at the time, I can't remember if we came close to scoring a 7th. Anyone refresh my memory ? There was certainly time for them to score again !!

Peevemor
06-01-2010, 09:37 AM
[/B]

thought there was more than that at easter road?

remember gordon rae comming over to the east terracing asking what the score was :thumbsup::thumbsup:

what a day !!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::

Not many. The place was pretty empty - all the more room to dance around like a daftie! :greengrin

The_Todd
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
It's nothing to do with 1986, they hate everybody. I've never seen a group of fans who hate so much.

Scorrie
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
St Mirren lost 5-0 to Celtic in May 1986. This coupled with a Hearts 2-0 loss to Dundee meant that Celtic won the league on goal difference.[QUOTE=Danderhall Hibs;2299045]

I clean forgot about that ...:cool2:

Was at ER that day for the Arabs game. they scored their second just as the news came in from Dens. the Utd players looked well confused when we appeared to cheer thier goal. We were in the east stand and i can still remember the old West rising loke a mexican wave as the news came in. What a day. Hilarious.:greengrin