PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon NOT for United

Diclonius
05-01-2010, 07:14 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8440296.stm

Interesting.. Remember how Dunfermline ballsed up with Kenny though.

bingo70
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM

Has there not been good managers come across to the UK from Ireland? Thats a genuine question bye the way, i really know nothing about Irish football!

Just because Kenny failed at Dunfermline doesn't mean all Irish managers would fail across here, been plenty Scottish managers that have failed down south but Sir Awex has done not too bad

hibbymark
05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
You dont hear this very often but the spl is a massive step up from the irish league. Im over there quite often and its not any better than the junior super league imo. However until we take care of saturday i wont slate junior football to much!

KeithTheHibby
05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Cheap option I reckon.

Del Boy
05-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Cheap option I reckon.

Bohemians wanting 250k in compensation so wont be that cheap.

hfc rd
05-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Interesting :hmmm:. Bohemians are in the CL after winning the Irish league, so it could be a big coup for United

Big Ed
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Interesting :hmmm:. Bohemians are in the CL after winning the Irish league, so it could be a big coup for United

They'll have to get through the Prelimenery stages to reach the CL Groups and there is not much chance of that.
There are also accusations of illegal cash bungs to their players in contravention of LOI rules.
Fenlon has an excellent reputation in Eire but I have to say this will be a surprise appointment for the Arabs if it happens.

IWasThere2016
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
The job's no his yet ..

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Fenlon has driven both Shelbourne and Bohemians to financial ruin and the brink of extinction by his ability to convince various chairmen in Ireland to fund his dream of sending what is a defacto Eircom League select into the group stages of the CL.

Unfortunately, after a couple of tasty qualifiers against teams who've been dragged off the beach during the middle of their summer holidays while the Irish season is in full flight, reality soon reasserts itself and they become cannon-fodder long before a group stages berth can be secured.

The only thing this smooth-talker will achieve is the running up of massive debt, and putting United roughly on the same financial footing as Hearts.

Don-hibee
06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
The job's no his yet ..

Who's is it then? :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Fenlon has driven both Shelbourne and Bohemians to financial ruin and the brink of extinction by his ability to convince various chairmen in Ireland to fund his dream of sending what is a defacto Eircom League select into the group stages of the CL.

Unfortunately, after a couple of tasty qualifiers against teams who've been dragged off the beach during the middle of their summer holidays while the Irish season is in full flight, reality soon reasserts itself and they become cannon-fodder long before a group stages berth can be secured.

The only thing this smooth-talker will achieve is the running up of massive debt, and putting United roughly on the same financial footing as Hearts.

well lets hope he gets the job then. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
well lets hope he gets the job then. :greengrin

Quite. I can't wait to test Bohemian Hibernian's hypothesis that the championship-winning Bohs side would beat everyone in the SPL bar the OF, as fenlon would undoubtedly bring the bulk of them (Glen Crowe et all) to Tannadice.

At least he'd be able to pay back some of the cash he's blown over the years. It's too late for Shelbourne, they are lanquishing in the lower division with another winding-up order every week. Would LOVE to see him at the PBS. Him versus Romanov, now that would be big fun.

In fact I feel a bit put out that Hearts have missed the opportunity to stage another brilliant farce.

IWasThere2016
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
The job's no his yet ..

Who's is it then? :greengrin

It is now .. allegedly

Part/Time Supporter
06-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Quite hard to say how good / bad / indifferent he really is, then? Seems a bit risky given the experience Dunfermline had with Stephen Kenny. United aren't really in the financial state to seriously back him. I would have thought that they would have wanted a bit of continuity, ie John McGlynn.

:dunno:

Mind, the chairman's old man had a pretty poor record of appointing managers before hitting the jackpot with Levein.

Del Boy
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
It is now .. allegedly

it is? read motherwell and Tranmere had joined the race and Bo's were demanding big compensation which was looking like scuppering any deal :confused:

IWasThere2016
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
it is? read motherwell and Tranmere had joined the race and Bo's were demanding big compensation which was looking like scuppering any deal :confused:

Not what I'm told

Del Boy
06-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Not what I'm told

fair enough just wouldnt have thought Utd would be keen on shelling out 250k + on compensation!

Jim44
06-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Jim Gannon at Fir Park as well, :dunno: I know he's not an Irishman but his football experience was very much in the Irish setup.

Bohemian_Hibee
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
the spl is a massive step up from the irish league. Im over there quite often and its not any better than the junior super league imo.

Ignorance is bliss :agree:

Certainly off the pitch in terms of attendances, stadia, publicity, marketing etc etc the SPL is light years ahead of the LoI. On the pitch, there is very little difference in terms of quality (outside the OF). Impossible to directly compare I know, but I have shown previously how poor the Scottish teams (non-OF) have performed in Europe over the last 10 years are so, whilst the Irish teams have continued to improve performances and rankings.

Glentoran won the Irish League (North), we compete in the League of Ireland :wink:

Oh dear, oh dear, I really respect your opinions on most things Bob, but you are trying to give the impression that you know something on this subject, but the actual truth is very different. You even contradict yourself in your first sentence. Every manager will quite rightly try to demand as much of a transfer kitty as possible, so Fenlon is no different. Blame the chairmen, not him. At Bohs, we have kept below the 65% wage-cap rule for the last two years, when Fenlon won 4 trophies with us (2 Leagues, 1 FAI Cup and 1 League Cup)

Secondly, you are talking complete rubbish on the Euro front. His Shelbourne side came with 20 minutes of reaching the group stages. Last summer, Bohs were beaten by a last minute goal in the second leg by SV Salzburg. It might interest you to know that Salzburg are still in Europe, having won ALL their games in their group, including games against Lazio and Villarreal. 'Cannon-fodder' is a description you could give to Scottish clubs in Europe. You only have to cast your mind back to Motherwell and Aberdeens results last summer for proof. I won't embarrass ourselves by mentioning Hibs results in europe over the last few years.

Quite. I can't wait to test Bohemian Hibernian's hypothesis that the championship-winning Bohs side would beat everyone in the SPL bar the OF, as fenlon would undoubtedly bring the bulk of them (Glen Crowe et all) to Tannadice.

At least he'd be able to pay back some of the cash he's blown over the years. It's too late for Shelbourne, they are lanquishing in the lower division with another winding-up order every week. Would LOVE to see him at the PBS. Him versus Romanov, now that would be big fun.

In fact I feel a bit put out that Hearts have missed the opportunity to stage another brilliant farce.

I have no doubt that the Bohs side of the last couple of seasons would be better than anyone in the SPL bar the OF. I know the majority here will dismiss this out of hand, but I can only go on what I see and that is Scottish clubs perform patethically in Europe, including unfortunately Hibs. On the last occassion a LoI side played a Scottish side in Europe, the aggregate score was 7-3.

Unfortunately though, there has been a break-up in that Bohs side with the likes of Murphy going to Ipswich and Deegan going to Coventry. For your information, Glen Crowe's contract was not renewed last November, along with 6 others, in an effort by the club and Fenlon to REDUCE the playing budget. Yeah, imagine that!!! That said, I would be surprised if Fenlon doesn't raid the club to bring a couple over, hopefully he won't though.

Seems a bit risky given the experience Dunfermline had with Stephen Kenny.

Agreed. I thought he would have been too much of a 'nobody' for Utd and their fans to want. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be. Kenny didn't do great, that's for sure (although a Kenny-inspired semi final defeat still hurts:boo hoo:), but Fenlon is a far far better manager than Kenny. Stephen Kenny has won 1 League title here (with Bohs), whilst Fenlon has won the League 5 times in the last 7 years with Bohs (twice) and Shelbourne (3 times).

There is quite a lot of disbelief over here that Fenlon has taken a job where the chances of success (i.e silverware) are very limited and he will spend his Utd career looking up the @rseholes of the ugly sisters. That said, most Bohs fans, reluctanly acknowledge that he sees the Utd job, could be a stepping stone to a bigger job in England or at Celtic (he was a Celtic season-ticket holder up to a few years ago).

Will he be a success? Quite simply, I don't know. He has already proved to be an excellent manager over here. He is a born winner, very professional in his approach and manner and knows how to get the best out of anyone who's played for him. That said, he knows the set-up here, he knows the grounds, players, scouts, coaches, the style of play etc etc, will he adapt quickly enough to the pressures of the SPL? His only unsuccessful period in Irish football was his brief spell at Derry City, his wife and family didn't move with him and this obviously had an affect on him. Will the family settle in Costa del Dundee?

As much as I'm gutted beyond belief as a Bohs fan to lose him ahead of a season where we were hoping to complete a historic three-in-a-row, I do acknowledge this is a great opportunity for him to make a real name for himself in Britain. He is taking over a team in a relatively good position and I genuiely do wish him well, once it's never to Hibs expense :agree:

Anyway, I look forward to joining up with Dashing Bob in Easter Road when Hibs play Utd to give Fenlon loads of a abuse....errr..ehh I mean a 'warm' welcome :wink:

Right, let MY abuse begin....:grr:

H18sry
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Certainly off the pitch in terms of attendances, stadia, publicity, marketing etc etc the SPL is light years ahead of the LoI. On the pitch, there is very little difference in terms of quality (outside the OF). Impossible to directly compare I know, but I have shown previously how poor the Scottish teams (non-OF) have performed in Europe over the last 10 years are so, whilst the Irish teams have continued to improve performances and rankings.

Glentoran won the Irish League (North), we compete in the League of Ireland :wink:

Oh dear, oh dear, I really respect your opinions on most things Bob, but you are trying to give the impression that you know something on this subject, but the actual truth is very different. You even contradict yourself in your first sentence. Every manager will quite rightly try to demand as much of a transfer kitty as possible, so Fenlon is no different. Blame the chairmen, not him. At Bohs, we have kept below the 65% wage-cap rule for the last two years, when Fenlon won 4 trophies with us (2 Leagues, 1 FAI Cup and 1 League Cup)

Secondly, you are talking complete rubbish on the Euro front. His Shelbourne side came with 20 minutes of reaching the group stages. Last summer, Bohs were beaten by a last minute goal in the second leg by SV Salzburg. It might interest you to know that Salzburg are still in Europe, having won ALL their games in their group, including games against Lazio and Villarreal. 'Cannon-fodder' is a description you could give to Scottish clubs in Europe. You only have to cast your mind back to Motherwell and Aberdeens results last summer for proof. I won't embarrass ourselves by mentioning Hibs results in europe over the last few years.

I have no doubt that the Bohs side of the last couple of seasons would be better than anyone in the SPL bar the OF. I know the majority here will dismiss this out of hand, but I can only go on what I see and that is Scottish clubs perform patethically in Europe, including unfortunately Hibs. On the last occassion a LoI side played a Scottish side in Europe, the aggregate score was 7-3.
Unfortunately though, there has been a break-up in that Bohs side with the likes of Murphy going to Ipswich and Deegan going to Coventry. For your information, Glen Crowe's contract was not renewed last November, along with 6 others, in an effort by the club and Fenlon to REDUCE the playing budget. Yeah, imagine that!!! That said, I would be surprised if Fenlon doesn't raid the club to bring a couple over, hopefully he won't though.

Agreed. I thought he would have been too much of a 'nobody' for Utd and their fans to want. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be. Kenny didn't do great, that's for sure (although a Kenny-inspired semi final defeat still hurts:boo hoo:), but Fenlon is a far far better manager than Kenny. Stephen Kenny has won 1 League title here (with Bohs), whilst Fenlon has won the League 5 times in the last 7 years with Bohs (twice) and Shelbourne (3 times).

There is quite a lot of disbelief over here that Fenlon has taken a job where the chances of success (i.e silverware) are very limited and he will spend his Utd career looking up the @rseholes of the ugly sisters. That said, most Bohs fans, reluctanly acknowledge that he sees the Utd job, could be a stepping stone to a bigger job in England or at Celtic (he was a Celtic season-ticket holder up to a few years ago).

Will he be a success? Quite simply, I don't know. He has already proved to be an excellent manager over here. He is a born winner, very professional in his approach and manner and knows how to get the best out of anyone who's played for him. That said, he knows the set-up here, he knows the grounds, players, scouts, coaches, the style of play etc etc, will he adapt quickly enough to the pressures of the SPL? His only unsuccessful period in Irish football was his brief spell at Derry City, his wife and family didn't move with him and this obviously had an affect on him. Will the family settle in Costa del Dundee?

As much as I'm gutted beyond belief as a Bohs fan to lose him ahead of a season where we were hoping to complete a historic three-in-a-row, I do acknowledge this is a great opportunity for him to make a real name for himself in Britain. He is taking over a team in a relatively good position and I genuiely do wish him well, once it's never to Hibs expense :agree:

Anyway, I look forward to joining up with Dashing Bob in Easter Road when Hibs play Utd to give Fenlon loads of a abuse....errr..ehh I mean a 'warm' welcome :wink:

:rolleyes:It was only Gretna after all nowt to shout about. :devil:

Hiber-nation
07-01-2010, 07:39 PM
:rolleyes:It was only Gretna after all nowt to shout about. :devil:

The same Gretna that took a potential Champions League winning team to penalties in a Scottish Cup Final though.

Part/Time Supporter
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
The same Gretna that took a potential Champions League winning team to penalties in a Scottish Cup Final though.

More accurately, the same Gretna that was beaten 6-0 by Hibs in the league cup.

Hiber-nation
07-01-2010, 07:58 PM
More accurately, the same Gretna that was beaten 6-0 by Hibs in the league cup.

Spoilsport :grr:

libernian
08-01-2010, 12:17 AM
lol, i was wondering how long this would take to happen! may seeem pretty sad but i had a look at thebohs.com forum n read a whole article thread (took around an hour!!!!) of about 30 pages.

i dont believe there is a huge gulf in quality of the league hibernian_dub, and i think the euro results prove this, yes in the past couple of years you have had a fair few good results but cant remember seeing any irish team in the groups stages of uefa cup or champions league?? we had 3 past christmas in 2006. (rangers, celtic, sheep) so i would say they were both equally pretty **** tbh.

i think to argue which is better is pure speculation to be honest, and i think that although there isnt a great difference, over the course of the season i think the likes of hibs, hearts etc would show they were better ... i know the spl aint great at the moment but to look down your noses like above is a little bit much, no?

jgl07
08-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I thought I read his name as Pat Fenian.

He will be called that at Hinbrox and Tynie anyway,

IWasThere2016
08-01-2010, 06:03 AM
lol, i was wondering how long this would take to happen! may seeem pretty sad but i had a look at thebohs.com forum n read a whole article thread (took around an hour!!!!) of about 30 pages.

i dont believe there is a huge gulf in quality of the league hibernian_dub, and i think the euro results prove this, yes in the past couple of years you have had a fair few good results but cant remember seeing any irish team in the groups stages of uefa cup or champions league?? we had 3 past christmas in 2006. (rangers, celtic, sheep) so i would say they were both equally pretty **** tbh.

i think to argue which is better is pure speculation to be honest, and i think that although there isnt a great difference, over the course of the season i think the likes of hibs, hearts etc would show they were better ... i know the spl aint great at the moment but to look down your noses like above is a little bit much, no?

I agree with you and Dub - the boy must have something, and the SPL is poor.

Joe Baker II
08-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Remember meeting Pat Fenlon briefly when he appeared in pub near ground after St Patrick's Athletic Game when we played them in summer of 2005 when he was then manager of Shelbourne (shows difference in Dublin, could not really see Lazslo popping into Royal Nip after Hibs friendly!).

Seemed a decent guy and though obviously does not prove anything as a manager in Scotland. Taking over from Levein (with I suspect little money compared to what Hibs have) could be a poisoned chalice I feel though wish United reasonably well.

lapsedhibee
08-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Since when are the Arabs known as "Terrors"? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm) :confused:

lapsedhibee
08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
could not really see Lazslo popping into Royal Nip after Hibs friendly

He can't really stay back as he's got to make his way up to his house at the top of Arthur's Seat and there's no road.

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2010, 03:17 PM

No. Can't be bothered. You've put up a stout enough defence and i'm going to have to research, but have too much on workwise.

You'll never convince me (or I doubt anyone here who's been watching LOI for the last 10 years, on and off) that the Bohs side would beat everyone outside the OF. St Mirrenish at best methinks.

Was the 20 mins from the CL sections with Shels you refer to relating to the Hadjuk Split game? I was sure there was another set of beach bums to come after that before they faced the big boys. Happy to be corrected though.

Agree totally that PF has done a great job prising funds from chairmen that can't afford it, and its their mismanagement, not his.

Will he succeed at United? Like you, I'm not sure. Kenny failed at Dunfermline, but Levein failed at Leicester. It doesn't mean Coyle can't be successful at Burnley though.

I never got a hold of how good or bad PF was in Ireland, he always seemed to have to resource cards over any rivals. On that note, United could have done worse than looked to Michael O'Neil, Arab credentials plus a great job at Rovers.

Hibbyradge
08-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Since when are the Arabs known as "Terrors"? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm) :confused:

For as long as I can remember. :agree:

The Terrors. (http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.asp?tm=79)

TERRORS
Though referred to less often than was previously the case, The Terrors is the club’s official nickname, listed in no less an authority than Rothman’s, the Wisden of football.

It is difficult to identify its origin with accuracy. There is no known reference to it pre World War Two and the most convincing explanation is that it was earned in the famous Scottish Cup victory over Celtic in January 1949. That was the occasion when United, then a mid-table Division Two club, were given no chance of restraining the Celtic tide, despite the fact the match was at Tannadice.

The final score of United 4 Celtic 3 tells less than the full story. United had no fewer than three ‘goals’ disallowed and simply refused to be disheartened when Celtic cancelled out leads of 2–0 and 3–2. Showing tremendous fighting spirit, Willie MacFadyen’s part-timers ignored the stamina-sapping conditions to score the decisive goal. It was a performance which deserved to have its place permanently enshrined in the club’s annals, and the adoption of a nickname which evokes the players responsible for it is indeed apposite.

In 1963, ‘The Terrors of Tannadice’ was recorded by Scots ‘singer’ Hector Nicol, and for many years it blared out from the Tannadice loudspeakers as United took the field. A classic of its genre it has now achieved cult status among Arabs, none of whom will ever admit to actually being old enough to have heard it played!

Hibbyradge
08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Will he succeed at United?

No, he won't.

"Dundee United has decided not to pursue any further interest in Pat Fenlon as team manager due to the excessive compensation demand made by his club and an unwillingness to reduce this. We now consider the matter at an end and will pursue other options."

Barney McGrew
08-01-2010, 04:20 PM
The final score of United 4 Celtic 3 tells less than the full story. United had no fewer than three ‘goals’ disallowed

I'm sure Jack Regan will be along shortly to explain why the three 'goals' being disallowed were really a benefit to Rangers as part of the giant conspiracy against Sellik :greengrin

Hibbyradge
08-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm sure Jack Regan will be along shortly to explain why the three 'goals' being disallowed were really a benefit to Rangers as part of the giant conspiracy against Sellik :greengrin

Bizarre!

I never said that, and it wasn't on this thread! :confused:

Barney McGrew
08-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Bizarre!

I never said that, and it wasn't on this thread! :confused:

It's on the bit you posted about why they're called the Terrors.

Excuse my wee dig at our resident hoop :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 05:02 PM
It is now .. allegedly

Not what I'm told

No, he won't.

"Dundee United has decided not to pursue any further interest in Pat Fenlon as team manager due to the excessive compensation demand made by his club and an unwillingness to reduce this. We now consider the matter at an end and will pursue other options."

Another TQM exclusive? :aok:

Bohemian_Hibee
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Initial relief that he's not going but somehow feel we have a really pi$$ed-off manager who may not want to stay around after our committee rightly dug their heels in. Tranmere, Motherwell and previously Peterborough were all sniffing around Fenlon, so I'm sure he'll have other options in his desire to persue a career across the water..

Utd tried to treat us like a pub side and got told where to go. How ironic after the way they felt they were treated by the SFA. Fenlon is on circa €100k pa and had 3 years of his contract to go. He has won circa €1.2million in prize money in the last two years for us and Utd tried to palm us off with a miserable offer of £60k in 'compensation' when we wanted a more realistic €250k for a manager who we believe is basically irreplaceable.

One final thing, I never wanted to give the impression that I/we were looking down our noses at the SPL. I'm the last person who would do that, I love the league and have been a follower of the Cabbage for over 20 years now (the Dublin Hibees flag is mine:wink:) but some people here need to take a step back and have a look how the league is viewed outside of Scotland and unfortunately that impression is not always as good as we would like it to be. Similarly, mainly through ignorance, the LoI has a poor reputation, but the facts are that on-the-field, there have been huge improvements. As for off-the-field, we're still light years behind..well, just about everybody. Now, back to really hating Arabs :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Utd tried to treat us like a pub side and got told where to go. How ironic after the way they felt they were treated by the SFA. Fenlon is on circa €100k pa and had 3 years of his contract to go. He has won circa €1.2million in prize money in the last two years for us and Utd tried to palm us off with a miserable offer of £60k in 'compensation' when we wanted a more realistic €250k for a manager who we believe is basically irreplaceable.

How many years does he have left on his contract? I thought compensation for a manager was worked out based on salary x number of years left minus a wee bit.

Pretty scientific, I know. :hilarious

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
An amazing story over almost 2 pages in The Sun this morning about how great the guy is cos he played a tape of Celtic songs on an open top bus going through the Shankhill area. If it wasnt so sad, it would probably be funny. Mowbray probably thinking about a new job if he read it!

lapsedhibee
08-01-2010, 05:34 PM
For as long as I can remember. :agree:

The Terrors. (http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.asp?tm=79)

Cheers. Never ever heard that. Even Jim Spence calls them Arabs on the BBC!

Part/Time Supporter
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
How many years does he have left on his contract? I thought compensation for a manager was worked out based on salary x number of years left minus a wee bit.

That's what Bohs were asking for, United only offered about 1/3 of that.

libernian
08-01-2010, 06:14 PM
An amazing story over almost 2 pages in The Sun this morning about how great the guy is cos he played a tape of Celtic songs on an open top bus going through the Shankhill area. If it wasnt so sad, it would probably be funny. Mowbray probably thinking about a new job if he read it!

lol, thats hilarious! this boy sounds like a legend, get him over!

p.s. archie knox!!!???!!! doesnt seem like a good appointment to me. experienced tho but his under 21 teams for scotland played awful hoofball football when i saw em. terrible news for the terrors.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 06:18 PM
That's what Bohs were asking for, United only offered about 1/3 of that.

Well within their rights to KB them then. United have a bit of a cheek considering the SFA have weighed them in with barely a quibble.

Bohemian_Hibee
08-01-2010, 06:19 PM

:wink:

It seems Utd value the most important person at £75k (their maximum offer), it simply doesn't make sense to me. He is the person that would steer the whole direction of the club for the next 3 years and yet they are not prepared to pay a reasonable amount, even though they were duly compensated (£250k I think?) for the loss of Levein. Their loss and soon to be Bohs loss.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Cheers - was that in that big massive post that I probably skimmed over? I generally do that with any posts that are bigger than a one-liner. :greengrin

Edit - I just noticed I quoted your post!

IWasThere2016
08-01-2010, 06:25 PM

His side of deal was done.

Credit to Bohemians for holding out.

Deal is aff and Arabs back tae drawing board!
What price the Jags ra morra? :greengrin

IWasThere2016
09-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Of course, Fenlon could still just resign ...

hibiedude
09-01-2010, 08:37 AM

It seems Utd value the most important person at £75k (their maximum offer), it simply doesn't make sense to me. He is the person that would steer the whole direction of the club for the next 3 years and yet they are not prepared to pay a reasonable amount, even though they were duly compensated (£250k I think?) for the loss of Levein. Their loss and soon to be Bohs loss.

DUNDEE UNITED last night pulled the plug on their move for Pat Fenlon.
Tannadice chairman Stephen Thompson offered Bohemians £90,000 for their manager.

But the League of Ireland club flatly rejected his desperate final bid to end the compensation wrangle.

Pat Fenlon chance of taking charge off Utd seems to be over.

Dashing Bob S
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Initial relief that he's not going but somehow feel we have a really pi$$ed-off manager who may not want to stay around after our committee rightly dug their heels in. Tranmere, Motherwell and previously Peterborough were all sniffing around Fenlon, so I'm sure he'll have other options in his desire to persue a career across the water..

One final thing, I never wanted to give the impression that I/we were looking down our noses at the SPL. I'm the last person who would do that, I love the league and have been a follower of the Cabbage for over 20 years now (the Dublin Hibees flag is mine:wink:) but some people here need to take a step back and have a look how the league is viewed outside of Scotland and unfortunately that impression is not always as good as we would like it to be. Similarly, mainly through ignorance, the LoI has a poor reputation, but the facts are that on-the-field, there have been huge improvements. As for off-the-field, we're still light years behind..well, just about everybody. Now, back to really hating Arabs :wink:

One question regarding Bohs.

Take a team who are supposedly better than any other Scottish side outside the OF. Have them contesting the early stages of European games in the middle of their season, against clubs who are in their preseason - why would they not make an impact?

A poor Huns side got to the final of the UEFA Cup the same year PF's Boh's won the Eircom. If they were only marginally worse than the Hun, surely with the advantages stated above, they'd have made at least some impression?

(Not having a go here, just want to hear your thinking on this.)

ArabHibee
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Didn't want him anyway.

NEXT!!

Don Giovanni
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I thought some sources were reporting that Bohs were in breach of PFs contract regarding unpaid bonuses?

Surely this would allow PF to walk away from the club if he had a strong desire to move?

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM

If that was to happen it's clear why and someone would have to pay compensation.

Bearders
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM

He won't resign as he is due bonus payments from the Bohs. The money on offer from United would barely have covered the outstanding bonus monies.

IWasThere2016
09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I thought some sources were reporting that Bohs were in breach of PFs contract regarding unpaid bonuses?

Surely this would allow PF to walk away from the club if he had a strong desire to move?

PF is due £££s by Bohemians - and he could argue Bohs have frustrated the contract.