PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Coyle to Bolton; Hughes to Burnley?

Gatecrasher
04-01-2010, 03:39 PM
this is could be the worst career decision since Beckhams move to LA :agree:

here (http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1922843,00.html)

whereswallace?
04-01-2010, 03:42 PM

:agree: I think its a bad move for him.He likes his team to play football,the squad at Bolton will need a massive overhaul before he can get a team to play like he wants.Big job.

CheesyHibby
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
also seems a funny appointment for the chairman of bolton to be making. if you're a club who endeavour to avoid relegation every year, as they do, surely a curbishley or someone would be more suited? they will go down in may imho if they appoint coyle.

truehibernian
04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Rumour amongst Bolton fans that if he goes he will want to take Fletcher with him. Seems to be going down a storm with them, so here's hoping Ebeneezer Petrie inserted a % sell on clause :confused:

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:48 PM
If he had not played for them previously, i don't think he'd entertain them. Its a strange move if he does go there, as imho they are not any bigger a club than burnley, just more established in the EPL.

James70
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
The Bolton fans look on Coyle as a legend but as we all know legends don't always make the best managers.

Dr Jimmy
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
If he had not played for them previously, i don't think he'd entertain them. Its a strange move if he does go there, as imho they are not any bigger a club than burnley, just more established in the EPL.

Money?

Hibbyradge
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM

That made me chuckle.

I doubt many folk would think that a 31 year old footballer signing a 5 year contract worth $1m a week was a particularly bad move.

Coyle moving from Burnely to Bolton? Not sure if that's good or bad.

I guess that's why he's talking to them.

ScottB
04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Puzzling move, though I did see it predicted on another thread and that he'd move for Bamba after getting the job...

Can't see where it gets him, and I'd worry for the futures of the Scottish contingent at Burnley, without him I could see a number being emptied by a new manager coming in, Fletcher aside obviously. He's be better to stay put and wait for a bigger job, maybe Everton when Moyes finally moves on? Something of that type anyway.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Money?

I dont think that will be the case here, Coyle will be looking at what he can achieve in the game, and i personally dont think he could achieve much more with bolton, than he could with burnley. Again imho he'd be better waiting for a better club.

Gatecrasher
04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
That made me chuckle.

I doubt many folk would think that a 31 year old footballer signing a 5 year contract worth $1m a week was a particularly bad move.

Coyle moving from Burnely to Bolton? Not sure if that's good or bad.

I guess that's why he's talking to them.

without this turning into a beckham thread..

MLS is a joke league compared to some of the leagues he could have played in

it nearly cost him a place in the england team

he only plays for them 6 months a year then go's to milan (he would be better skipping the MLS part and went to italy right away)

Becks already had more money than he knew what to do with anyway.

Dr Jimmy
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I dont think that will be the case here, Coyle will be looking at what he can achieve in the game, and i personally dont think he could achieve much more with bolton, than he could with burnley. Again imho he'd be better waiting for a better club.

He keeps going on about having no budget and working on a fraction of what other teams are etc.
I agree that he should be looking higher than Bolton for his next move.

Wonder what the Celtic fans are thinking, as he snubbed them in the summer to stay at Burnley and then jumps to Bolton!!

snooky
04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I've always admired Owen Coyle as player & a manager. (Shame that the deal to bring him to ER in the late 90's fell through).

While I think he will probably do okay at 'Notlob', I feel he would be better to sit tight at this time as, IMO, he is destined for bigger and better things.

James70
04-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Maybe he now feels he can't do anymore for Burnley given the size of his budget and wants to get out as he sees relegation looming large.

snooky
04-01-2010, 04:13 PM

he only plays for them 6 months a year then go's to milan (he would be better skipping the MLS part and went to italy right away)

Cherchez la femme?

hibs is life
04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
he has done great at burnlay and dont think the bolton job is any better hes got a good back ground staff player etc that work 4 him so why rock the ship 2 tack a dodge job

Gatecrasher
04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Cherchez la femme?

and a blah blah to you to :greengrin

Andy74
04-01-2010, 04:18 PM
What's the problem?

Coyle seems to be a good manager. Burnley, regardless of how good their manager is, will probably go down.

Bolton are an established EPL club with a far better infrastructure and potential.

If Coyle is a good manager and Bolton are a bigger team with more potential then surely this is a very good move indeed for him and is another upward move already for a manager making a great name for himself.

Added bonus that he's a legend there, which can work as well as not work, at least it will get the fans backing the club which is very important.

snooky
04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
and a blah blah to you to :greengrin

Okay, I deserved that for trying to talk "Posh" :wink:

Gatecrasher
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Okay, I deserved that for trying to talk "Posh" :wink:

too right you did :hilarious

joe breezy
04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I always hated Owen Coyle as he played for Airdrie.
However he seems to be an awright manager going from seeing him on the telly and the positive feedback he seems to get.

Posted fae my mobile phone

LancsHibs
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
The Bolton fans look on Coyle as a legend but as we all know legends don't always make the best managers.

Mixu is also a 'legend' at Bolton, think he's the next name on their list:greengrin

Agree with the previous poster that Bolton aren't a bigger club than Burnley but have had a few seasons in the prem. Both have a really good chance of being relegated this year. Cant see what Coyle has to gain with this move????

PISTOL1875
04-01-2010, 04:56 PM

here (http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413%7E1922843,00.html)

Bolton are a bigger and more established club than Burnley....

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2010, 05:00 PM

here (http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1922843,00.html)

I think Rix for the hot seat at the PBS comes close.

LancsHibs
04-01-2010, 05:04 PM

more established in the EPL yes, bigger no way!

BoltonHibee
04-01-2010, 05:08 PM
What's the problem?

Coyle seems to be a good manager. Burnley, regardless of how good their manager is, will probably go down.

Bolton are an established EPL club with a far better infrastructure and potential.

If Coyle is a good manager and Bolton are a bigger team with more potential then surely this is a very good move indeed for him and is another upward move already for a manager making a great name for himself.

Added bonus that he's a legend there, which can work as well as not work, at least it will get the fans backing the club which is very important.

Sums it up for me andy:agree:

LancsHibs
04-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Sums it up for me andy:agree:

Would you be happy with this move M? One things for sure he'll get more backing from the fans than Megson ever did! Who else is in the running (if anybody!)

BoltonHibee
04-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Would you be happy with this move M? One things for sure he'll get more backing from the fans than Megson ever did! Who else is in the running (if anybody!)

I think OC would be a great manager for Bolton.

As Andy has pointed out, Bolton have a great infrastructure in place and a great base to build on. Burnley were always likely to be relegated this season, that's why I thought his snub of Celtic was a strange one. that said he was probably wise to hang on at Burnley than move to Celtic:greengrin

It would be a bit of a gamble for Coyle I would guess. If Bolton are relegated they are finished with the EPL for a very long time, he though would stand a great chance of keeping them up and building from there.

Great coach, great manager, great man. Would be delighted for Bolton and OC if he took the job.

I think he may be in place by Wednesday...

Gatecrasher
It's nothing against Bolton I just think that would be the wrong move for the club and manager that's why I put could be,

if it works out then fair enough

IWasThere2016
No brainer for OC to take the job IMHO.

a). Bolton are an established EPL team with associated infrastructure. Burnley are not.

b) OC's not going to get a much bigger job in the short-term eg not at big 4, Villa, Spurs, Everton etc.

c) Burnley's away form might take them down - with no guarantee of getting back up.

d) if he keeps Bolton up and they start playing better football he will enhance his reputation no end.

I'd jump if I was him - there's a skill to getting out at the right time (ask Levein :wink:)

ancient hibee
04-01-2010, 05:47 PM
He's a mug-he'll certainly be in the championship if he takes it.

Liberal Hibby
04-01-2010, 05:56 PM
He's a mug-he'll certainly be in the championship if he takes it.

Possibly, but he could be in the Championship if he stays. I suspect Bolton will always pay more than Burnley for their manager so we all know what the result will be...

Heraghty's
04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Great coach, great manager, great man. Would be delighted for Bolton and OC if he took the job.
I think he may be in place by Wednesday...

Deal will be done and dusted tomorrow (Tuesday).
Owenie plus his backroom staff. :agree:

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Hope so .. I've bet on him :wink:

BoltonHibee
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM

I would say so, in time for their game on Wednesday.

Toaods
04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd jump if I was him - there's a skill to getting out at the right time (ask Levein :wink:)

here's also the 'sign on the dotted line' Levein factor, ie was not earning much but when he signed the contract with Hearts he was made financially, regardless of whether he was punted or not.

Coyle has the chance to do likewise. Bolton will be offering him a kings ransom to go.

like the earlier poster, I hated him when he played for the dreaded Airdrie but he seems a decent enough guy - good luck to him.

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
here's also the 'sign on the dotted line' Levein factor, ie was not earning much but when he signed the contract with Hearts he was made financially, regardless of whether he was punted or not.

Coyle has the chance to do likewise. Bolton will be offering him a kings ransom to go.

like the earlier poster, I hated him when he played for the dreaded Airdrie but he seems a decent enough guy - good luck to him.

Indeed. Although he was lowest paid in EPL by some way .. apparently.

LancashireHibby
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
What's the problem?

Finally some sense on this thread!

Don't let the current attendance figures fool you, Burnley's crowds were abysmal in the Championship, and would drop like a stone if they went down, or if indeed stayed up and 'did a Wigan' by virtually doubling their prices etc.

Fact is, Coyle will have a far bigger budget to work with at the Whites, will have the support of the fans and the facilities are a world away, both at the stadium, with the academy and the training ground.

Got to be a good move for the man, and it helps that he was my first choice for the job months ago.

Speedway
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Yogi for Burnley?

truehibernian
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
My money would be on Simon Grayson getting approached for the Burnley job. Yogi (thankfully) is no where near the EPL radar.

Westie1875
04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
So who thinks Fletch will follow him to Bolton?

LancashireHibby
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
So who thinks Fletch will follow him to Bolton?
Would hope that it's a distinct possibility, think he'd work quite well with Klasnic. And after 18 months of Elmander, I'd take Nade if we had to.

Hibs On Tour
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
he has done great at burnlay and dont think the bolton job is any better hes got a good back ground staff player etc that work 4 him so why rock the ship 2 tack a dodge job

Seriously. Step away from texting on the phone. And go to school to learn how to use ENGLISH. Or you'll end up looking a right t1t... :greengrin

snooky
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Yogi for Burnley?

This was my first dreaded thought. They took a chance on Coyle and it worked out great (up till today that is) so to say Yogi is off the radar could be regarded as wishful thinking.
Geez, I hope there's nae blips showing up in the Edinburgh area on Bolton's sonar.

Hibs On Tour
04-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Jesus. Geez peace people. Yogi has hardly been in the post six months and you're already touting him as possibly being away at the first sign of ANY job ANYWHERE?

Not.going.to.happen.

Don't you think his hat would have been in the ring for the national post if he would consider moving? Said then he was in his dream job. Nothing has happened to change that.

Worrying about nothing IMHO...

Delboy4
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
This was a done deal on Hogmany. I got a telephone call from my contact down South who confirmed it. I had a major bet @ 5/2 on him getting the job. The syndicate down south have a good few hundred thousand on it... Just waiting on the call.
http://www.hibs.net/message/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

heretoday
05-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Anyone with an awareness of football in the 50s,60s and 70s would say Burnley were a more glamorous club than Bolton.

It's all about money. I have to laugh at Coyle's "emotional pull towards Bolton" that the media trots out. He was only there for 3 years and played in 54 games. He was the classic journeyman footballer who played for countless clubs. Does he have emotional attachments to them all? He must be a sensitive soul!

That's not what they'll be saying about him at Burnley if he ditches them.

H18sry
05-01-2010, 09:39 AM
He will have a much bigger operating budget and a bigger fan base at Bolton, Burnley Dont have any decent players that will keep them in the PL they are punching way above there weight, whereas at Bolton the players have been there and done it at that level.

Barney McGrew
05-01-2010, 09:43 AM
My money would be on Simon Grayson getting approached for the Burnley job. Yogi (thankfully) is no where near the EPL radar.

Who'd have thought that a manager in the Scottish First Division would have been on Burnley's radar when they appointed Coyle in the first place?

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2010, 09:51 AM
He will have a much bigger operating budget and a bigger fan base at Bolton, Burnley Dont have any decent players that will keep them in the PL they are punching way above there weight, whereas at Bolton the players have been there and done it at that level.

I agree his budget will be bigger, he will have a finished stadium, but bolton could be in the champions league, and the'd struggle to fill their ground. Yes its a step up, but only just. I think he should wait for a bigger club, but it does look like he's off.

Hibbyradge
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM

I do understand your point, but I wish I could get a bad career move like that! :greengrin

Beckham must have thought his England career was over well before Galaxy came in for him. He lost/resigned the England captaincy after the 2006 World Cup and was dropped altogether by Mclaren in the August of that year.

Any 31 year old who is passed their best is bound to be interested in a 5 year deal.

When it's worth $250m, (for, as you say, 6 months work per year), it can hardly be called a bad career move.

I Love Lamp
05-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Re the Yogi stuff, see the bottom of this story.

Could just be a throw-away line but still pretty interesting - and worrying - that he should be mentioned.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/bolton-hope-to-complete-move-for-coyle-today-1857810.html

Peevemor
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Could just be a throw-away line but still pretty interesting - and worrying - that he should be mentioned.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/bolton-hope-to-complete-move-for-coyle-today-1857810.html

I think it's just the journalist thinking out loud. If the board keep supporting Yogi as much as they've done to date and the team continues to progress, I can see him staying at ER for a few years yet.

LancsHibs
05-01-2010, 01:28 PM
on sky now that OC states he wishes to leave Burnley for Bolton. clubs in negotiations for compo deal!

J-C
05-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Darren Ferguson could be a good shout for Burnley, he's also being linked to Preston.

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Yogi for Burnley?

I was thinking the same this morning. If Coyle is still on good terms with the board they might ask him for a recommendation?

Delboy4
05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
This was a done deal on Hogmany. I got a telephone call from my contact down South who confirmed it. I had a major bet @ 5/2 on him getting the job. The syndicate down south have a good few hundred thousand on it... Just waiting on the call.
http://www.hibs.net/message/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

That's the CALL...

Done deal.

:thumbsup::party::cheers::partyhibb

iwasthere1972
05-01-2010, 02:05 PM
on sky now that OC states he wishes to leave Burnley for Bolton. clubs in negotiations for compo deal!

Don't think Last of the Summer Wine will let him go. :greengrin

Figure of £3.5 million compensation being suggested.

Hope Rod Petrie has noted this when negotiating comp from Burnley for Yogi. :devil:

Speedway
05-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Goin Coyle is about to get the SJP moniker on the Burnley forums.

iwasthere1972
05-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Glad that Owen Coyle has waited the extra few months to land a managerial post at a big club and let Mogga take the hot seat at Celtic Park.

LancsHibs
05-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Dont see that Burnley would be interested in our Yogi. Hes not mentioned on the Burnley forum or listed with Ladbrokes as a contender. Only people mentioning Yogi with Burnley are a few bitter Bairns over on Pie & Bovril:bye:
Names being mentioned are Steve McLaren, Mark Hughes, Darren Ferguson, Mike Phelan, Gareth Southgate, Alan Curbishley, Simon Grayson and getting quite a few backers Derek McInnes who appears to be Coyles recommendation and not Yogi according to the fans

Barney McGrew
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Dont see that Burnley would be interested in our Yogi. Hes not mentioned on the Burnley forum or listed with Ladbrokes as a contender. Only people mentioning Yogi with Burnley are a few bitter Bairns over on Pie & Bovril

And Victor Chandler who are quoting him at 20/1 (http://www.victorchandler.com/vcbet/en-gb/coupon/show/3/126456098/2839/0/1603658/1)

iwasthere1972
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
And Victor Chandler who are quoting him at 20/1 (http://www.victorchandler.com/vcbet/en-gb/coupon/show/3/126456098/2839/0/1603658/1)

Same odds as Jim Gannon and we know that's not going to happen.

Barney McGrew
05-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Same odds as Jim Gannon

That depends how long it takes Ryehill Avenue to get onto the Burnley forums :greengrin

iwasthere1972
05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
That depends how long it takes Ryehill Avenue to get onto the Burnley forums :greengrin

:thumbsup: If Jim Gannon gets the job I'll donate all my V points to the Yams.

Eh haud oan where have they gone. Robbing barstewards. :grr:

joe breezy
05-01-2010, 06:14 PM
That's the CALL...

Done deal.

:thumbsup::party::cheers::partyhibb

Well done mate, good to hear someone get it right - I had money on him getting the Celtic job when that was the rumour :grr:

MontrealHibs
05-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Guardian reporting he is high on the list to replace Coyle?! :grr:

CB_NO3
05-01-2010, 08:11 PM
God please no.

gerry70
05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Radio 5 Live quoted 4 names in frame one of which was Hughes. Maybe is load of nonsense but other names were not exactly household names either. So much so that I can't even remember them!

CRAZYHIBBY
05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
No chance of Yogi moving on hes in it for the long haul :wink:

hibee_patty
05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Can not see Hughes leaving us so soon but you never know.

thebakerboy
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Are you sure its Yogi and not Sparky they are meaning

lapsedhibee
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Guardian reporting he is high on the list to replace Coyle?! :grr:

A weegie paper pimping out one of our players is pretty normal but our bloody manager now.

:tsk tsk:

Westie1875
05-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd imagine Yogi will rule himself out tomorrow.

GlesgaeHibby
05-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Hughes won't go 6 months into this job. He's building a team, and he loves this club.

Hibster
05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
A weegie paper pimping out one of our players is pretty normal but our bloody manager now. Slow day news wise for them obviously.:agree:

nothing weegie about the Guardian. Based in London and Manchester I think

lapsedhibee
05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Are you sure its Yogi and not Sparky they are meaning

Coyley recommending Yogi

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/05/owen-coyle-bolton-john-hughes

Sergey
05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I think it was "Mark" rather than "Yogi" that's been linked to Burnley :wink:

Zondervan
I think Hughes will see the job through at Hibs. the EPL will come calling for him, but now is too early. Remember that Coyle joined Burnley when they were outwith the EPL, and I cannot see them taking a gamble on Hughes when there are plenty other unemployed manager's out there with EPL experience.

Also, Hibs are his club and I really do think that emotional tie will keep him here medium/long term. Mowbray & Mcleish jumped ship at the 1st opportunity, but they had done their time and also they had no previous links with Hibs.

I hope anyway!

HibbyAndy
JH has 'the best job in the world'.

bigstu
05-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I think Coyle and Hughes were both coaches at Falkirk at the same time so Coyle has probably recommended Hughes. It would be too early for him, can't see him going yet.

Zondervan
05-01-2010, 08:22 PM
nothing weegie about the Guardian. Based in London and Manchester I think

The Journo (Ewan Murray) who has written the story is a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo. He also works freelance from Edinburgh.

In saying that, he is one of the better football reporters in Scotland at the moment, and normally is very balanced in his reporting of Hibs.

CB_NO3
05-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Hughes won't go 6 months into this job. He's building a team, and he loves this club.
If Yogi was offered the job he would go. He would be stupid not to IMO. A chance to manage in the Premiership earning 10k a week.

ancienthibby
05-01-2010, 08:40 PM
If Yogi was offered the job he would go. He would be stupid not to IMO. A chance to manage in the Premiership earning 10k a week.

No chance.

Yogi will only go when he has given the Hibees a win of substance - be that the Cup, second in the League or a fine run in Europe!!:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

down-the-slope
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Hughes & Coyle were joint player / manager at start of time with Falkirk IIRC :rolleyes:

Bob Box Fish
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I can't see him leaving at the moment. Still young plenty of time to go to England and manage.

Part/Time Supporter
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Reads like a case of adding 2 two's and making 587362891767823.

Yogi was touting himself down south to all manner of middle ranking clubs (eg Blackpool) during his last year or so at Falkirk, none of whom were that interested. It would seem a bit odd that he would get a Premier League job a year after that. The article itself admits that he doesn't have the connections down south that Coyle (for example) has. The article is almost entirely based on their connection at Falkirk.

I'm more concerned by Mowbray's job security (or lack of it).

CyberSauzee
05-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Skybet have opened a shockingly bad 227% book on the next permanent Burnley manager. The only Hughes mentioned is Mark. As Ryehill Avenue will tell us, this one's coming from left field/the bookies never saw it coming and they're running scared/those in the know will make a killing.

The front runners

Mike Phelan 3.25
Steve Coppell 3.5
Darren Ferguson 8
Steve Davis 8
Peter Reid 9
Gareth Southgate 11
Alan Curbishley 11
Paul Jewell 11

truehibernian
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Derek McInnes...........odds please :wink:

hibsbollah
05-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Skybet have opened a shockingly bad 227% book

E$xcuse my ignorance but what does this mean?

Sergey
05-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Skybet have opened a shockingly bad 227% book on the next permanent Burnley manager. The only Hughes mentioned is Mark. As Ryehill Avenue will tell us, this one's coming from left field/the bookies never saw it coming and they're running scared/those in the know will make a killing.

The front runners

Mike Phelan 3.25
Jim Gannon 3.25
Steve Coppell 3.5
Darren Ferguson 8
Steve Davis 8
Peter Reid 9
Gareth Southgate 11
Alan Curbishley 11
Paul Jewell 11

Interesting market :wink:

CyberSauzee
05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
E$xcuse my ignorance but what does this mean?

Bookies theoretical profit margin. If they took an equal amount of cash on every outcome they'd make 117%. In reality they won't but it does show how bad the value is in such markets.

hibsbollah
05-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Bookies theoretical profit margin. If they took an equal amount of cash on every outcome they'd make 117%. In reality they won't but it does show how bad the value is in such markets.

Ah OK. I dont know much about betting. I just looked at this thread and one on the Holy Ground where liverpoolhibs was talking about 'nefarious postmodern obscurantism'. I suddely got the feeling that I had walked into a parallel universe:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
05-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Derek McInnes...........odds please :wink:

:agree:

More plausible than Yogi. He was on West Brom's shortlist last summer.

LancashireHibby
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Anyone with an awareness of football in the 50s,60s and 70s would say Burnley were a more glamorous club than Bolton.

It's all about money. I have to laugh at Coyle's "emotional pull towards Bolton" that the media trots out. He was only there for 3 years and played in 54 games. He was the classic journeyman footballer who played for countless clubs. Does he have emotional attachments to them all? He must be a sensitive soul!

That's not what they'll be saying about him at Burnley if he ditches them.

And if you were aware of the highs and lows and what was achieved during Coyle's time at Burnden, you'd realise why there was such an emotional pull - like you say, he only played 50-odd games, but he must have been summat special if his name was still chanted on the terraces, even while he was at St Johnstone.

Not sure what relevance there is about Burnley being a more glamorous club 40-60 years ago, I must admit.

hfc rd
05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't think Yogi is going to take the job. He just got his dream job a few months ago and I don't think he is going to let it go. Yogi will one day move on, but I hope that is in the next 3-4 years once he has taken us as far as he can. Also there are few other good names available for Burnley to talk to if Coyle does take the Bolton job.

hibsdaft
05-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Yogi to Burnley right now would be like Jefferies to Bradford a few years ago.

little to gain but everything to lose. he would have to be a genius to get any more out of that team than Coyle already has.

joe breezy
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
When asked about the prospect of down south while at Falkirk he said his aim 'was to go and play with the big boys down south, that's where all good managers want to be'

If he got offered the Burnley job he'd be gone tomorrow

matty_f
05-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Have to say, hand on heart that I genuinely cannot see Yogi leaving Hibs at this moment in time.

sam armstrong
05-01-2010, 10:06 PM

More plausible than Yogi. He was on West Brom's shortlist last summer.

I think Dundee United might be his next move.

silverhibee
05-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Cool_Hand_Luke
05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
I heard Rod would be delighted if there were any truth in this...especially after what happened at this years Christmas party :agree:

PaulSmith
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
When asked about the prospect of down south while at Falkirk he said his aim 'was to go and play with the big boys down south, that's where all good managers want to be'

If he got offered the Burnley job he'd be gone tomorrow

Key point whilst at Falkirk, also said that he'd waited years to manage Hibs and this was the job for him.

There is no loyalty though in football and especially when it comes to £££ but I just cannae see this one happening...well put it this way it would take a long while before I stepped back into Easter Road if it did.

Baw187
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
The Journo (Ewan Murray) who has written the story is a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo. He also works freelance from Edinburgh.

In saying that, he is one of the better football reporters in Scotland at the moment, and normally is very balanced in his reporting of Hibs.

Just text my mate who knows Ewan very well to get him to have words about touting our manager, and apparently 'he heard it from a very good source' whatever that means !:yawn:

My mate's a dirty hertz bassa too.

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I heard Rod would be delighted if there were any truth in this...especially after what happened at this years Christmas party :agree:

we could always get jim gannon

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Key point whilst at Falkirk, also said that he'd waited years to manage Hibs and this was the job for him.

There is no loyalty though in football and especially when it comes to £££ but I just cannae see this one happening...well put it this way it would take a long while before I stepped back into Easter Road if it did.

why?

Baw187
05-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Am I missing something here??

I thought the christmas parties were cancelled due to training schedules?:confused:

Speedway
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
The heart would like to believe that Hibs daft Yogi wouldn't dream of taking anything other than the Hibs 'dream' job until he'd won us something and cemented his place in history and that he's the real deal.

The head is telling the heart to have a day off and learn the lessons of bitter experience that money talks loudest and he'll be off in a New York minute if an EPL job or Celtic/Rangers job comes calling.

Jonnyboy
05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't forget that Mixu was quoted at 25/1 for the Bolton job so the moral of the story is don't believe everything you read on bookie sites :greengrin

Frazerbob
05-01-2010, 10:53 PM
What about George Burley?

I recon Burnley will go for experience this time. It is vital that they stay in the EPL so will not take the gamble on Hughes or McKinnes or the likes this time.

Mibbes Aye
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
No brainer for OC to take the job IMHO.

a). Bolton are an established EPL team with associated infrastructure. Burnley are not.

b) OC's not going to get a much bigger job in the short-term eg not at big 4, Villa, Spurs, Everton etc.

c) Burnley's away form might take them down - with no guarantee of getting back up.

d) if he keeps Bolton up and they start playing better football he will enhance his reputation no end.

:agree: It's stepping stone stuff. With Burnley, he's probably achieved the maximum with the promotion and the outstanding League Cup performance last season. Bolton offers an incremental step up, probably less risk and more potential gain. Football at that level doesn't come with certainties but it's hard to see moving from Burnley to Bolton as anything other than the right decision at this time (however it may turn out).

Most importantly though, he's made it clear that Bolton Wanderers are a bigger club than Sellick :greengrin. GIRFUY :thumbsup:

hibsdaft
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
i'd be worried that Coyle may recommend him, but if Coyle goes to Bolton i don't think he'll be so stupid to swan in to the Burnley board room telling them who they should replace him with - it'll be an acrimonious departure if it goes ahead

quite why Coyle is considering Bolton in the first place is over my head anyway :bitchy:

Leithenhibby
05-01-2010, 11:04 PM
i'd be worried that Coyle may recommend him, but if Coyle goes to Bolton i don't think he'll be so stupid to swan in to the Burnley board room telling them who they should replace him with - it'll be an acrimonious departure if it goes ahead

quite why Coyle is considering Bolton in the first place is over my head anyway :bitchy:

:agree: think I'd be telling him to just clear his desk, if I was main chap...:cool2:

jgl07
05-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Coyle played for Bolton in 1990s and probably sees it as a step up from Burnley. Bolton are already in the relegation zone so he will escape the blame if they do drop.

What if he stays at Burnley and they go down?

Remember what happened to Billy Davies? He joined Derby when they were nowhere and took them to the Premiership. They made a dodgy start and he was sacked.

Sir David Gray
05-01-2010, 11:42 PM
This is a very strange one.

I think you could toss a coin to decide which side is more likely to be relegated from the Premiership this season, I think it's negligible as to which club is bigger and both sides have very similar average home attendances (just over 20,000). The only thing that probably goes heavily in Bolton's favour is the infrastructure of their club is probably superior to Burnley, in terms of their stadium at least. I don't know what each club's training facilities are like.

Clearly the Bolton fans love Owen Coyle but he's also loved at Burnley so it's not as if he's leaving a club whose fans don't appreciate him.

He would probably have slightly more money available to him at Bolton but it would hardly be described as a fortune in Premiership terms and I think he would also struggle to get them back to where they were four or five years ago under Sam Allardyce, i.e. consistently finishing in the top ten and challenging for a European place.

WindyMiller
06-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Coyle played for Bolton in 1990s and probably sees it as a step up from Burnley. Bolton are already in the relegation zone so he will escape the blame if they do drop.

What if he stays at Burnley and they go down?

Remember what happened to Billy Davies? He joined Derby when they were nowhere and took them to the Premiership. They made a dodgy start and he was sacked.

IMO there's just as much chance of Bolton going down, and whoever goes down is liable to stay down.

snooky
06-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Alas, if Burnley come knocking for Yogi it'll be no contest.
Whoosh!

I would have thought Sparky would be favourite for the vacant seat.

Maybe Burnley will go for both. They could do with a new pair of Hughes. :wink:

RickyS
06-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Coyley recommending Yogi

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/05/owen-coyle-bolton-john-hughes

remember when sturrock recommended his successor at plymouth? they took Blobby AND gave us money! one of Rods finest moments.

I think Yogi still wants to go there (EPL)and has to believe that he will get another chance, after he has won the Scottish Cup! he surely wouldnae go before he has won a derby!:greengrin

cwilliamson85
06-01-2010, 09:11 AM

It is his dream to manage in teh EPL

:pray: dont go!!! :pray:

offshorehibby
06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't think Yogi would jump ship this early in his tenure at Hibs. If Yogi keeps us going in the right direction over the next 18 months then i'm sure thee will many more opportunities.
He'll stay at Hibs and build his reputation.

J-C
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
It is his dream to manage in teh EPL

:pray: dont go!!! :pray:

It may be his dream but he has already said Hibs was his dream job.
I don't think Burnley are any bigger than Hibs apart from the money they get fron EPL and tv deals, if he has ambition to go to the EPL then he has to look higher than Burnley.

Leithenhibby
06-01-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't think Yogi would jump ship this early in his tenure at Hibs. If Yogi keeps us going in the right direction over the next 18 months then i'm sure thee will many more opportunities.
He'll stay at Hibs and build his reputation.

I don't think he will either, but as long as Burnley don't have a gaffer this pash will continue..

I would like to think that JH has a tad more decorum than to jump ship at this early stage.

Also recall alex mcleish saying he would stay as long as we wanted him :bitchy:

MrSmith
06-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I think this is the first time I've looked at a thread like this without feeling down - this speculation does not bother me in th slightest!

John will be with us today, tomorrow and however long it takes him to bring success to Easter Road.

Integrity is the key word of which John has in abundance. Lets not get bogged down with this one because, its jst no gonna happen!!

Golden Bear
06-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I think this is the first time I've looked at a thread like this without feeling down - this speculation does not bother me in th slightest!

John will be with us today, tomorrow and however long it takes him to bring success to Easter Road.

Integrity is the key word of which John has in abundance. Lets not get bogged down with this one because, its jst no gonna happen!!

I sincerely hope you're right!

JH must see Hibs as "work in progress" right now and hopefully he'll be around for a good few years to see the job through.

Dr Jimmy
06-01-2010, 10:23 AM

I agree and I also have it on good authority that Mrs H would not be best pleased to move down south.

George Clooney
06-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Don't think there will be any acrimony at all. Coyle signed a 4 year contract last summer with a clause that said that Burnley would have to receive £3m compensation if he were to go to another club.
They don't have a big budget and are never going to be unhappy with a sum like that.
I think that they like Coyle and trust him, and if he is recommending our man to the board, I'm sure they'll listen. I'd also be surprised if he hasn't been on the phone to Yogi to tell him what's up.

Stevie Reid
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Zondervan;2298934]Mowbray & Mcleish jumped ship at the 1st opportunity, but they had done their time and also they had no previous links with Hibs.
QUOTE]

I'd just like to point out that Mowbray turned down Ipswich when he was Hibs manager.

Also, when Hibs first tried to get McLeish we were refused permission to speak to him by Motherwell - rather than resign, McLeish simply went about his business as Motherwell manager. When we eventually got him it was only after Motherwell granted us permission to talk terms with him and similarly, McLeish only left us after Hibs had granted Rangers permission to approach him.

Liberal Hibby
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyone thinking Hughes (John) wouldn't jump at the chance of managing in the EPL if offered is kidding themselves.

He'd probably earn more between now and the end of the season at Burnley (or Hull or whoever) than he would in the whole of the rest of his contract at Hibs.

MrSmith
06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Anyone thinking Hughes (John) wouldn't jump at the chance of managing in the EPL if offered is kidding themselves.

He'd probably earn more between now and the end of the season at Burnley (or Hull or whoever) than he would in the whole of the rest of his contract at Hibs.

Nah!

joe breezy
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
One thing in our favour, no-one in England would understand a word he says

Gus
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't want Hughes to leave for Burnley, but I actually beleive it would be a MASSIVE gamble if they did take him

Burnley look like a family club & they are enjoying the journey of the EPL........but the money men have had a taste & they will want to stay there

Give Hughes 3 years in the hibs hotseat & hopefully a bigger club will come in for him (if a epl job is what he desires, long term) as it means he has brought success to er

IvanS
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Yogi Will not leave for Burnley as he still thinks he has a job to do with hibs! he was down brighton speaking to there chairman in the summer just about his views and the brighton chairman offered him the job right there and then but yogi told him he couldnt do tht to hibs and their fans and he was also approached lately from preston but again he aint interested in leaving hibernian in the forseeable future!

LancashireHibby
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM

I think you could toss a coin to decide which side is more likely to be relegated from the Premiership this season, I think it's negligible as to which club is bigger and both sides have very similar average home attendances (just over 20,000). The only thing that probably goes heavily in Bolton's favour is the infrastructure of their club is probably superior to Burnley, in terms of their stadium at least. I don't know what each club's training facilities are like.

Clearly the Bolton fans love Owen Coyle but he's also loved at Burnley so it's not as if he's leaving a club whose fans don't appreciate him.

He would probably have slightly more money available to him at Bolton but it would hardly be described as a fortune in Premiership terms and I think he would also struggle to get them back to where they were four or five years ago under Sam Allardyce, i.e. consistently finishing in the top ten and challenging for a European place.

I know that, up until recently at least, Burnley trained on local playing fields etc whereas Bolton have had a state of the art training ground near Chorley for over 10 years. Coyle acknowledged in an interview after the Boxing Day game that Bolton have three times the wage budget of Burnley, and I certainly can't recall Burnley paying £12m for a player like the Whites did for Elmander.

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
If this sort of job came up a year from now, Yogi would off, and no mistake, Hibs loyalties aside. I think he knows that with the personnel he has, he can sustain success for at least a couple of seasons, which will only enhance his CV.

I think he is a pretty loyal guy, he stuck five years at Falkirk, and I believe the support of the board and fans mean a lot to him, but he's human, when the time and opportunity are right, he'll want to test himself in the EPL, and he'll do so with my best wishes.

IvanS
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
If this sort of job came up a year from now, Yogi would off, and no mistake, Hibs loyalties aside. I think he knows that with the personnel he has, he can sustain success for at least a couple of seasons, which will only enhance his CV.

I think he is a pretty loyal guy, he stuck five years at Falkirk, and I believe the support of the board and fans mean a lot to him, but he's human, when the time and opportunity are right, he'll want to test himself in the EPL, and he'll do so with my best wishes.

100% correct

3pm
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
He's not Premiership material in my opinion but he'd be daft not to try it if given the opportunity whether that be now or in future.

Dibben
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I have no doubts that Yogi will want to test himself in the EPL or the higher reaches of the championship at some time.

I just don't believe that it'll be at this time. Possibly in 2 or 3 years, once he's increased his stock by hopefully continuing his good work with us!

BH.

IWasThere2016
06-01-2010, 01:03 PM
:agree: It's stepping stone stuff. With Burnley, he's probably achieved the maximum with the promotion and the outstanding League Cup performance last season. Bolton offers an incremental step up, probably less risk and more potential gain. Football at that level doesn't come with certainties but it's hard to see moving from Burnley to Bolton as anything other than the right decision at this time (however it may turn out).

Most importantly though, he's made it clear that Bolton Wanderers are a bigger club than Sellick :greengrin. GIRFUY :thumbsup:

I know that, up until recently at least, Burnley trained on local playing fields etc whereas Bolton have had a state of the art training ground near Chorley for over 10 years. Coyle acknowledged in an interview after the Boxing Day game that Bolton have three times the wage budget of Burnley, and I certainly can't recall Burnley paying £12m for a player like the Whites did for Elmander.

:agree: He HAD to do it IMHO.

GloryGlory
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
This was my first dreaded thought. They took a chance on Coyle and it worked out great (up till today that is) so to say Yogi is off the radar could be regarded as wishful thinking.
Geez, I hope there's nae blips showing up in the Edinburgh area on Bolton's sonar.

One thing to take a chance when you are ambitious and on the way up from a lower division, another when you are already in the top division and looking to stay in the EPL. Might want to look at a manager with experience at EPL level in those circumstances, IMO.

GloryGlory
06-01-2010, 01:27 PM

That of course is the big millstone for all BWFC managers - they are not Big Sam.

anon1
06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
A small step up for Coyle, nothing more. Neither club particularly deserves to be in the top tier of English Football. Burnley probably more so given their history.. But good luck to him anyway. Brilliant manager.

Hibs7
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Jumbo's are creaming themselves after hearing on Radio Forth that Yogi has been approached about the Burnley job. tossers are living in hope.

Stevie Reid
06-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I have always wondered how different things might have been if JC had resigned a month earlier - OC would certainly have applied for the Hibs job and if he managed to persuade Burnley to employ him from St. Johnstone, I have no trouble imagining that RP would've been enamoured by him too.

Delighted we have Yogi but can't help wondering what effect OC would've had on the Cabbage at that time.

Golden Bear
06-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Jumbo's are creaming themselves after hearing on Radio Forth that Yogi has been approached about the Burnley job. tossers are living in hope.

That's got be utter garbage surely?

As things stand, Coyle is still the Burnley Manager.

basehibby
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I'd be very surprised, not to say disappointed, if Hughes jumped ship to any other side at this stage.

He's only just started at Hibs - a job he is fully commited to and has thrown himself into whole-heartedly - and for that very reason was only just recently ruling himself out of the Scotland job.

Burnley may quite possibly pay more than Scotland, but as far as prestige is concerned - EPL or not - they come nowhere close (not for any Scotsman anyway). That being the case I don't see Hughes being tempted at all - a couple of seasons down the line that may change, but not now.

Liberal Hibby
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM

If it's true (which I doubt) and they offer it to him - he'll be gone.

Cropley10
06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Mike Phelan 2/1
Steve Coppell 7/2
Steve Davis 4/1
Peter Reid 7/1
Paul Jewell 7/1
John Hughes 8/1
Alan Curbishley 8/1
Sean O'Driscoll 10/1
Dave Jones 12/1
Brian Laws 12/1
Derek McInnes 14/1
Alan Irvine 14/1
Iain Dowie 16/1
Steve Cotterill 16/1
Gareth Southgate 18/1
Billy Davies 20/1
Jim Gannon 20/1
Gary McAllister 25/1
George Burley 25/1
Gary Speed 25/1
Jim Magilton 25/1
Brian Flynn 33/1
David O'Leary 33/1
Brian Reid 40/1
Stan Ternent 40/1
John Henry 40/1
Gary Megson 40/1
Steve Thompson 40/1

http://www.victorchandler.com/vcbet/en-gb/coupon/show/3/126456098/2839/0/1603658/1

Lots of managers much, much more qualified than Yogi...

Liberal Hibby
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Indeed - but 8-1 is a pretty short price for a complete outsider, which suggests there might be some legs in the rumour. The idea that Yogi is consisered more likely than Southgate for example is bizarre.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 04:27 PM
If offered the job, i dont think he'd go.

Toaods
06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
if the Burnley board have any sense, they'll bank the £3million for Coyle and immediately install Gary Megson at no cost and say to him "Go out and show Bolton what fools they've been".

Would have to laugh if that happened and Burnley stayed up whilst Bolton went down....aAt 40/1, Ive just decided I'm going to stick £2.50 on him.

heretoday
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
If Hibs fail to get the success that we all want, Hughes won't be offered a chance like Burnley again. He might land a Championship job but not the Prem.

So now would be the time to go while Hibs are still "upwardly mobile".

I hope not.

Sergio sledge
06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Mike Phelan 2/1
Steve Coppell 7/2
Steve Davis 4/1
Peter Reid 7/1
Paul Jewell 7/1
John Hughes 8/1
Alan Curbishley 8/1
Sean O'Driscoll 10/1
Dave Jones 12/1
Brian Laws 12/1
Derek McInnes 14/1
Alan Irvine 14/1
Iain Dowie 16/1
Steve Cotterill 16/1
Gareth Southgate 18/1
Billy Davies 20/1
Jim Gannon 20/1
Gary McAllister 25/1
George Burley 25/1
Gary Speed 25/1
Jim Magilton 25/1
Brian Flynn 33/1
David O'Leary 33/1
Brian Reid 40/1
Stan Ternent 40/1
John Henry 40/1
Gary Megson 40/1
Steve Thompson 40/1

http://www.victorchandler.com/vcbet/en-gb/coupon/show/3/126456098/2839/0/1603658/1

They must have made a mistake, 8/1 for Yogi? Mark Hughes not even on their list? Seems very odd to me..........

Caversham Green
06-01-2010, 05:15 PM
If offered the job, i dont think he'd go.

Maybe it's my heart ruling my head, but I have to agree. If any one is going to be successful in the long term at Hibs, it's John Hughes. If he goes we might as well get Mixu or Blobby back because we won't hold on to a good manager for any length of time.

Don't do it to us Yogi.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Maybe it's my heart ruling my head, but I have to agree. If any one is going to be successful in the long term at Hibs, it's John Hughes. If he goes we might as well get Mixu or Blobby back because we won't hold on to a good manager for any length of time.

Don't do it to us Yogi.

He's no McLeish or Mowbray or even a Collins. He's said on record this is his dream job. He's told us all he has a vision for the club. 6 months is no time at all to see his vision through, and when he told us he wants to be here for a long time, i certainly believed him.

hibsdaft
06-01-2010, 05:24 PM

this is true - and on top of the quality he has as ER, he just needs to look around at Dundee Utd after Levein has gone, Hearts under the three mad men, Aberdeen under McGlee and realise that he is probably going to have another season or two without any of the other big Scottish clubs being at their best.

stubru59
06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
They must have made a mistake, 8/1 for Yogi? Mark Hughes not even on their list? Seems very odd to me..........

Mark Hughes apparently sorting out loose ends of his contractual pay-off from Man City.

Might be reluctant to put his hat in the ring until everything is cut and dried.

New Corrie
06-01-2010, 05:27 PM
if the Burnley board have any sense, they'll bank the £3million for Coyle and immediately install Gary Megson at no cost and say to him "Go out and show Bolton what fools they've been".

Would have to laugh if that happened and Burnley stayed up whilst Bolton went down....aAt 40/1, Ive just decided I'm going to stick £2.50 on him.

I think that's a great shout, and your end scenario would be tremendous.:top marks

Tinyclothes
06-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I think that's a great shout, and your end scenario would be tremendous.:top marks

I seem to remeber Birmingham getting rid of Bruce and Sullivan saying him leaving was the best thing to ever happen to the club. Bruce went to Wigan and kept them up and Birmingham got relegated. Could happen to Bolton if Megson ends up at Burnley, their sheet fans will feel like proper phantoms then.

OxoHibby
06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Don't think there will be any acrimony at all. Coyle signed a 4 year contract last summer with a clause that said that Burnley would have to receive £3m compensation if he were to go to another club.
They don't have a big budget and are never going to be unhappy with a sum like that.
I think that they like Coyle and trust him, and if he is recommending our man to the board, I'm sure they'll listen. I'd also be surprised if he hasn't been on the phone to Yogi to tell him what's up.

If Burnley are able to get £3m compensation for Coyle, I wonder what figure Mr Petrie has in mind for Yogi.

If Yogi was to leave I would be incredibly dissapointed, given his ties to the club and statements about dream job etc. :boo hoo:

Reynolds
06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Personally i don't think he is good enough for the EPL. Okayy he plays decent football but one good cup run last season and a good start to this one doesnt suggest EPL quality. EPL and SPL managers have a big gulf in class.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Personally i don't think he is good enough for the EPL. Okayy he plays decent football but one good cup run last season and a good start to this one doesnt suggest EPL quality. EPL and SPL managers have a big gulf in class.

Like Owen Coyle found? The only SPL manager I think would struggle would be Shabby - they make you pick your own team down there and I don't think an EPL chairman would be interested in taking the dream team of Romanov and Shabby.

matty_f
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Like Owen Coyle found? The only SPL manager I think would struggle would be Shabby - they make you pick your own team down there and I don't think an EPL manager would be interested in taking the dream team of Romanov and Shabby.

They let you pick your own transfer targets too. Plan F would be scunnered.

matty_f
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
He's no McLeish or Mowbray or even a Collins. He's said on record this is his dream job. He's told us all he has a vision for the club. 6 months is no time at all to see his vision through, and when he told us he wants to be here for a long time, i certainly believed him.

:top marks

CyberSauzee
06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
There's been a fair bit of cash on Brian Laws (backed into favourite with one layer). Ryehill Avenue must know something.

ScottB
06-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Can't see Mark Hughes being remotely interested, he will have had a handsome pay off and will be content to wait for a bigger, established EPL job to come along.

I'd think Burnley will either go for an out of work safe pair of hands, or a wild card.

HibbyAndy
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Hughes would be more of a success in England than that gibbering ersehole Shaba leastiwanttogo.

Hearts are kid on team with kid on fans that are small minded with rodent looking supporters.

NAE NOOKIE
06-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I dont think Yogi will go this time even if he is offered the job.

The one thing you can guarantee about the EPL or any other league of that size for that matter, is that between 4 and 7 jobs will come up every season. Meethinks Yogi can afford to bide his time.

Jobs will still be available to him in the next 3 - 4 years if he does well at Hibs.

What would worry me is that if he does decide to take the Burnley job now ( if offered ) does that mean that he doesnt think that he can take Hibs to a higher level in the next 3 years and it will damage his reputation as a manager.

By that I mean 3rd or 4th place in each of the next 3 seasons and a Scottish ( please ) or League cup win in one of them with a semi final or two thrown in.

If he goes because he doesnt think that is possible, then just exactly what does that say about Hibs ?

Sir David Gray
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM

I didn't think it was quite as much as that but anyway, whatever it was that they paid for Elmander, obviously it's quite a bit more than what Burnley have ever paid as their record signing is £3 million for Steven Fletcher. There's about six or seven players that Bolton have bought for more than that and most of those signings have been made in the past few years so they obviously do have a larger wage/transfer budget.

The fact that Bolton have top notch training facilities and Burnley still train on public parks will clearly have an effect on Coyle's outlook as well.

LancashireHibby
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
I didn't think it was quite as much as that but anyway, whatever it was that they paid for Elmander, obviously it's quite a bit more than what Burnley have ever paid as their record signing is £3 million for Steven Fletcher. There's about six or seven players that Bolton have bought for more than that and most of those signings have been made in the past few years so they obviously do have a larger wage/transfer budget.

The fact that Bolton have top notch training facilities and Burnley still train on public parks will clearly have an effect on Coyle's outlook as well.

The Elmander figure has never been truly ironed out, think the £12m might be in the unlikely event that he meets all the add-ons for goals scored etc. That said, the Whites paid more for Zat Knight than Burnley did for Fletch....now that's scary.

jacomo
07-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I dont think Yogi will go this time even if he is offered the job.

The one thing you can guarantee about the EPL or any other league of that size for that matter, is that between 4 and 7 jobs will come up every season. Meethinks Yogi can afford to bide his time.

Jobs will still be available to him in the next 3 - 4 years if he does well at Hibs.

What would worry me is that if he does decide to take the Burnley job now ( if offered ) does that mean that he doesnt think that he can take Hibs to a higher level in the next 3 years and it will damage his reputation as a manager.

By that I mean 3rd or 4th place in each of the next 3 seasons and a Scottish ( please ) or League cup win in one of them with a semi final or two thrown in.

If he goes because he doesnt think that is possible, then just exactly what does that say about Hibs ?

There seems to be this theory that a football management career is about getting to the top as soon as possible. Not true - it's staying there that counts, having served your time learning the ropes.

No one can tell me that Yogi has always dreamed of managing Burnley, fine club though they are. But he will only get one chance as Hibs gaffer - this is it.

Hibby Bairn
07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Tranmere appointed the club physio after the Barnes/McAteer dreamteam failed. And they have been on a great run since.

There are a lot of frauds out there masquerading as wonder coaches. What teams need are MANagers. Hughes (I think/hope) is a manager as is Coyle. That is why they are both relatively successful.

Hughes would do just fine in England unlike Strachan.

Andy74
07-01-2010, 09:17 AM
There is no danger Hughes will be leaving Hibs just now, none at all.

He's said his whole career just now has been working up to this and although I'm sure he has ambitions elsewhere as well he won't leave without seeing out this one to some extent.

Petrie's Tache
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Yogi was touted for several positions during his time at Falkirk, however he remained loyal to them and for him this is something he wants from his players as well as commitment. I think he will be here for the next 5-10 years, possibly forever. He wants to build this club in a certian model and it si no quick fix to do this.:agree:

Phil MaGlass
07-01-2010, 11:07 AM
No danger he will leave,think about it, every year these jobs come up,every year you can pick and choose,I think he will stay atleast 3 years.Theres absolutely no way he will leave(famous last words)

lucky
07-01-2010, 11:24 AM
If he is offered it he will go. How many spl managers have been offered epl jobs? I can't think of many. I think Souness was the last. So its unlikely he will be offered the job.

Peevemor
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
If he is offered it he will go. How many spl managers have been offered epl jobs? I can't think of many. I think Souness was the last. So its unlikely he will be offered the job.

I don't think so. It's too soon.

joe breezy
07-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Being recommended by a friend really counts.

Yogi won't get a chance like this again for years, maybe never again, if he's offered it he's off, If Coyle's recommended him, he'll at least get an interview.

cockneymike
07-01-2010, 11:34 AM
It would be a crazy move for hughes imho, if and when he moves to england, he'd be better doing as mowbray did (and as Strachan thought he was doing), get a job with a decent amount of cash, decent support (ie 20k+), and some decent players who're playing below themselves; start in the championship and get yourself into the prem from there. McLeish sort of did this also, as he knew birmingham were down when he took over (not unlike when he took over at ER).

Burnley fit none of them, taking over there will be a nightmare job, how do you replace someone the fans (and players) think is a legend - with great difficulty - as JC found out (the players bit at least).

Andy74
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Being recommended by a friend really counts.

Yogi won't get a chance like this again for years, maybe never again, if he's offered it he's off, If Coyle's recommended him, he'll at least get an interview.

Rubbish, lower epl jobs come up several times a year and he's six months into his dream job. Plenty time for the rest of his ambitions later.

joe breezy
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Victor Chandler: Mike Phelan Well-Backed For Burnley Job
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM, Jan 7, 2010 (Marketwire via COMTEX)

Football betting bookmakers Victor Chandler have seen significant money for Mike Phelan to be the next permanent manager of Burnley FC.

Now that Owen Coyle has placed on gardening leave by the Clarets after making it clear that he wishes to join Bolton, money has been moving around the contenders for the vacant Turf Moor post.

Manchester United assistant manager, Phelan, was available at 10/1 before being backed into 5/1 and is now just 2/1 to take reins at Turf Moor. Hibernian Manager, John Hughes, has also seen significant interest and has been trimmed from 20/1 to current price 8/1.

basehibby
07-01-2010, 11:40 AM

That's a bit of a daft statement - managers have all got to start somewhere and it's not the league they start off in which decides their overall strengths and weaknesses.

Fair enough there's a gulf in the finances and the quality of players involved which generally result in greater pressure for a manager in a bigger, richer league and a learning curve for anyone making the step up - but everyone has to start somewhere and the majority of successfull managers earn their stripes at lower levels and work their way up the leagues on the back of their own successes.

Coyle is a recent example of someone who's done just that, with Ferguson being the obvious example of someone who's enjoyed great success in England after proving himself in Scotland.

Hughes is someone I'd like to see going nowhere other than East Mains and ER to earn his corn over the next few years, but the fact that he's got that far and is making a success of it (touch wood) is in itself an indication that he's got much of what it takes to make a good fist of things wherever he goes - Owen Coyle has done just that on the back of a managerial apprenticeship at St Johnstone - a far smaller setting than Hibs - and that hasn't stopped him!

Scorrie
07-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Victor Chandler: Mike Phelan Well-Backed For Burnley Job
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM, Jan 7, 2010 (Marketwire via COMTEX)

Football betting bookmakers Victor Chandler have seen significant money for Mike Phelan to be the next permanent manager of Burnley FC.

Now that Owen Coyle has placed on gardening leave by the Clarets after making it clear that he wishes to join Bolton, money has been moving around the contenders for the vacant Turf Moor post.

Manchester United assistant manager, Phelan, was available at 10/1 before being backed into 5/1 and is now just 2/1 to take reins at Turf Moor. Hibernian Manager, John Hughes, has also seen significant interest and has been trimmed from 20/1 to current price 8/1.

That aint trimming: that's a major scalping (could explain my haircuts then...)

Someone has either been putting money on or yesterday's Guardian article has influenced Yogi's price

LancashireHibby
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM

I'd also love it if Megson got the Burnley job....it'd immediately sort out one of the relegation spots (and I'm not joking there, either).

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd also love it if Megson got the Burnley job....it'd immediately sort out one of the relegation spots (and I'm not joking there, either).

He kept Bolton up, didn't he?

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2010, 12:56 PM

He's not big Sam though. The very mention of his name, gets them touching themselves at every opportunity. If Sam could clone himself, the'd hire him straight away.

TornadoHibby
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Just watched Yogi getting interviewed about the Burnley job on Sky Sports and he was clear in his response (well almost :wink:).

"Never say never in football, but I have the best job in Scottish football as far as I am concerned and I have only started what I see as a three to five year job to get the team and the club the way I would like it to be at. I'm happy at Hibs and have a job to do here!" :wink: :agree:

Looks like he's staying then! :cool2:

lapsedhibee
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
How many spl managers have been offered epl jobs? I can't think of many. I think Souness was the last. So its unlikely he will be offered the job.

Not many, but the most successful British manager of all time took that route, so there'll be no psychological bar in the minds of Engerlish boards.

LancashireHibby
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
He also sent the reserves to Lisbon for the biggest game in the club's history and played the most soul-destroying football known to man. He made Blobby look like a managerial Zico.

He's not big Sam though. The very mention of his name, gets them touching themselves at every opportunity. If Sam could clone himself, the'd hire him straight away.
Not at all Gary, Allardyce left a year too late as far as I'm concerned - seemed pretty clear he'd lost all hunger for the job after losing to West Ham in the cup when we seemed to be on a crackin' run, followed by his whoring out for the England job.

Makalambay
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5840856,00.html

Hibernian boss John Hughes has reaffirmed his commitment to the club after being linked with a move to Burnley.
With Owen Coyle (http://topics.skysports.com/Owen+Coyle/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif set to join Bolton from the Clarets, he recommended the Hibs manager as his possible successor at Turf Moor.
Hughes (http://topics.skysports.com/John+Hughes/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif has only been at Easter Road since last summer and has turned the club into European contenders in that time.
While the 45-year-old admits the Premier League is of interest to him, he has no plans to leave Hibs anytime soon.
Interest

"The English Premier League interests me, but not at this moment in time and I'm honest in that," he told Sky Sports News.
"I've worked ever so hard to get to Hibs. It's a club I hold close to my heart and I say to the fans I'm here for the next four or five years.
"To do that I've got to make sure I don't sit back and rest on my laurels. I need to get results and keep building that squad.
"So that's my message to the Hibs supporters. In football you can never say never, but I'm 100 per cent committed to the cause at Hibs."

Good friend

Hughes admits Coyle is a good friend from their time at Falkirk and is not surprised that he impressed during his time at Burnley.
"He's a really good friend of mine. The two of us were at Falkirk together for six months. It's great to see him do well," he continued.
"He's full of enthusiasm, a clever boy, really astute and knows a player. He wants to see the game played in the right manner, no different from myself really.
"I'm quite happy up in Scotland and as I say I've got the best job in Scotland as far as I'm concerned. So why should I look elsewhere?"

Billychaotic182
07-01-2010, 03:54 PM
thanks ****** for that

ancient hibee
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
He's off at the weekend.

Leith Green
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Good to get some clarity ... Hopefully stop the weedgie press printing their usual pish!

Dr Jimmy
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Good to get some clarity ... Hopefully stop the weedgie press printing their usual pish!

Until we are due to play Rangers or Celtic that is!!

Good to hear Yogi's words and he seems to be a man of them.

Golden Bear
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
He's off at the weekend.

He should wash himself mair often then.

Dr Jimmy
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
He should wash himself mair often then.

Sorry, but expected better......:bye:

joe breezy
07-01-2010, 04:30 PM

they'll say

'Hughes refuses to rule himself out of Burnley Job'

John Hughes today refused to rule himself out of the running of the Burnley Manager's job admitting he was interested and confirmed his friendship with Coyle, who the Daily Record understands has recommended Hughes for the job.

Calvin
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Good wee interview there, pleasing to hear him say what he did.

I think we'd be entitled to be sceptical given previous events but I really do believe Hughes wants to stay here over Burnley.

greenlex
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Hibernian boss John Hughes has reaffirmed his commitment to the club after being linked with a move to Burnley.
With Owen Coyle (http://topics.skysports.com/Owen+Coyle/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif set to join Bolton from the Clarets, he recommended the Hibs manager as his possible successor at Turf Moor.
Hughes (http://topics.skysports.com/John+Hughes/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif has only been at Easter Road since last summer and has turned the club into European contenders in that time.
While the 45-year-old admits the Premier League is of interest to him, he has no plans to leave Hibs anytime soon.
Interest

"The English Premier League interests me, but not at this moment in time and I'm honest in that," he told Sky Sports News.
"I've worked ever so hard to get to Hibs. It's a club I hold close to my heart and I say to the fans I'm here for the next four or five years.
"To do that I've got to make sure I don't sit back and rest on my laurels. I need to get results and keep building that squad.
"So that's my message to the Hibs supporters. In football you can never say never, but I'm 100 per cent committed to the cause at Hibs."

Good friend

Hughes admits Coyle is a good friend from their time at Falkirk and is not surprised that he impressed during his time at Burnley.
"He's a really good friend of mine. The two of us were at Falkirk together for six months. It's great to see him do well," he continued.
"He's full of enthusiasm, a clever boy, really astute and knows a player. He wants to see the game played in the right manner, no different from myself really.
"I'm quite happy up in Scotland and as I say I've got the best job in Scotland as far as I'm concerned. So why should I look elsewhere?"
Just saw the filmed interview on SSN. :thumbsup:

Earl o'Montrose
07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
After the Katie/Broonie affair I finally admitted to myself that I will never again trust any player or manager who comes out and says they love the club and/or they're at the club they've 'always supported'. It's a job, and personal wealth will always be their greatest incentive. You'll find this wherever you go in the world of football.

matty_f
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
After the Katie/Broonie affair I finally admitted to myself that I will never again trust any player or manager who comes out and says they love the club and/or they're at the club they've 'always supported'. It's a job, and personal wealth will always be their greatest incentive. You'll find this wherever you go in the world of football.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but Yogi means that. 100%.:thumbsup:

Landells
07-01-2010, 04:54 PM
A guy at my work had been saying that all night!

Roond ye!

Ozyhibby
07-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Interest

Good friend

It was the best job in the world a couple of weeks ago?:hmmm: :greengrin

CB_NO3
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Am not trying to be negative because I geniunely beleive Yogi a) does love it here and b) really feels he can win something or guide us into Europe but if the phone call does come and the chairman of Burnley says theres 10k a week Yogi, go and challenge yourself against Wenger, Ferguson and Ancelotti, I feel he may go. I really hope not.

joe breezy
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
It was the best job in the world a couple of weeks ago?:hmmm: :greengrin

It was the "best job in Scotland" weekes ago - he didn't say best in the World in the interview

HFC07
07-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Great to hear yogi come out with those comments :thumbsup:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Yogi is the man! Love the Yogmeister:notworthy:! :agree:

Speedway
07-01-2010, 08:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8447248.stm

Further confirmation.

PapillonVert
07-01-2010, 09:45 PM
So. when Owen Coyle, freely acknowledged very good friend of JH, makes recommendation to Burnley board about successor, he does this without knowledge of said alleged very good friend, the said JH?

:confused:

PapillonVert
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Further confirmation.

Reporter says to JH that he has told them he's after a centre half because JH has told reporter that "Sol's away"!

Westie1875
07-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Reporter says to JH that he has told them he's after a centre half because JH has told reporter that "Sol's away"!

He is, away at the African Nations cup! :wink:

matty_f
07-01-2010, 09:58 PM

He's away with Ivory Coast.

PapillonVert
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
He is, away at the African Nations cup! :wink:

Is that what he means?

Gus Fring
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I dont think yogi would go just now.

Can i just say how much i enjoy these interviews fromm the bbc and yogi? Hes always very candid, has a joke, and does his best to give us as much info without revealing anything he shouldnt.

Hibtastic
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Further confirmation.

Fantastic interview with Yogi - every time I listen to him I end up laughing out loud.

I hope Cregg gets a run out this weekend. I remember when he first played for us at East End Park. I thought he ran the show!:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Gaun the Yogi :thumbsup:

Mind you he's going to have to get to the EPL sooner rather than later so's he can afford a better winter coat, that one wis bowfin...... :greengrin

Peevemor
07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Gaun the Yogi :thumbsup:

Mind you he's going to have to get to the EPL sooner rather than later so's he can afford a better winter coat, that one wis bowfin...... :greengrin

I thought it was inside-out. :greengrin

MontrealHibs
08-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Quality interview.... :thumbsup:

joe breezy
08-01-2010, 08:31 AM
"...and 2 weeks later he broke my leg, but that's football' :faf:

Barney McGrew
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Coyle now officially confirmed at Bolton

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5843930,00.html

joe breezy
10-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Lee Clark is 1/2 on Skybet which is nice

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/668975/LEE-CLARK-has-emerged-as-a-shock-contender-for-the-Burnley-job.html

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/burnley-specials/next-permanent-manager

lapsedhibee
17-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Coyle now officially confirmed at Bolton

Bolton are still brutal. Just watched 95 minutes of their trademark up-and-under 'style'. Horrible, horrible team to watch. Hope they go down and stay down. Absolutely anyone taking their place in the EPL would improve it.

ScottB
17-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Bolton are still brutal. Just watched 95 minutes of their trademark up-and-under 'style'. Horrible, horrible team to watch. Hope they go down and stay down. Absolutely anyone taking their place in the EPL would improve it.

Where you expecting Coyle to completely change their style of play in a week?

Give em a few weeks at least! I'm sure he will change things for the better, and theres a good 7 teams all kicking about around the 20 point mark, other than Portsmouth any of the rest could go easily enough.

lapsedhibee
17-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Where you expecting Coyle to completely change their style of play in a week?

Nah, but might have hoped to see some sort of wee statement of intent. I wonder if it is in his mind to let them go down playing their atrocious hoofball, so that he can then clear the whole lot out without so much as a murmur of complaint from the fans, board, etc, and subsequently build a football team in the championship.