PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Jones Back to ER

OxoHibby
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
There are rumours circulating down Scunthorpe way that Rob Jones may be on his way back to ER.

Source is a mate of a Scunthorpe supporting mate.

Personally I think it would be a bad were to happen and would be surprised as it did considering Jones wanted to move closer to home.

Jones has been gash in recent weeks and seems like the Scunny fans want to see the back of him, especially as Kenny Milne who was also rumoured as a target is fit and was meant to be impressive at the weekend.

Ed De Gramo
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
There are rumours circulating down Scunthorpe way that Rob Jones may be on his way back to ER.

Source is a mate of a Scunthorpe supporting mate.

Personally I think it would be a bad were to happen and would be surprised as it did considering Jones wanted to move closer to home.

Jones has been gash in recent weeks and seems like the Scunny fans want to see the back of him, especially as Kenny Milne who was also rumoured as a target is fit and was meant to be impressive at the weekend.

Cannae see it happening....but would be delighted :agree:

Think his wages would be steep plus I think his young family might be reluctant for him to be back up in Scotland again :greengrin

Speedway
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
He'd be a cheap replacement for Bamba.

OxoHibby
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Scunny would probably want a fee for him as he was their record signing.

Can't see Mr Petire going for that unless a Bamba deal is doen and he could get Jones back for less than he was sold for.

Hibee_Lisa
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Id love it to happen. :thumbsup: Doubt it though.

Judas Iscariot
04-01-2010, 09:50 PM
No chance

Hanny
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2123393445

Nothing revealing on the Scunny forums.

I can't see it happening anyway.

Cropley10
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
No chance

:agree: Even less than that.

hibsdaft
04-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Jones is a grumpy ******* and an imposing one at that :greengrin

not sure he'd fit too well into the new regime under Yogi

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Unless it was a free, i'd rather we didn't. He's good, but i'd like a footballing central defender, thats the way forward with Yogi.

WindyMiller
04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
No thanks.
If he was 6' 2" he'd never have been a professional player.

.Sean.
04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Not going to happen.

500miles
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure if he would suit the team as it plays at the moment. To compensate for a lack of pace, Jones sits very deep, whereas Bamba holds a higher line, which means we link up better with the likes of Miller and McBride. Don't see it happening anyway.

MyJo
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
No thanks

steakbake
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
No thanks - in the slightest. I would be disappointed if this turned out to be true.

iwasthere1972
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
No thanks. He wanted a move to be closer to his family - Has he fallen out with them or is he now gash?

Big Frank
04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
No thanks from me.

Chorley : PMs:wink:

snooky
04-01-2010, 11:44 PM
When they go, they go. Okay, Nid & Deeks are exceptions.

The only former player I would like to see back is Broony.

Ivan is/was one of my favourites however, his legendary status is best kept locked up safe in our memories to savour forever.

lyonhibs
04-01-2010, 11:57 PM
When they go, they go. Okay, Nid & Deeks are exceptions. Indeed they are, but why are they so special?? Let me guess - "because they're one of us"??

Ivan is/was one of my favourites however, his legendary status is best kept locked up safe in our memories to savour forever.

Not that it's going to happen, but I'd take Jones back in a New York minute.

Hainan Hibs
05-01-2010, 12:22 AM
No thanks.

hibs is life
05-01-2010, 12:58 AM
we had jones jones :notworthy::notworthy:

--------
05-01-2010, 01:06 AM
please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaggy
05-01-2010, 04:58 AM
I was pi55ed off when he left........
But we have had a far superior defensive record since he has been gone.
No thanks

Septimus
05-01-2010, 06:34 AM
He neither is, nor ever was, Hibs class. If he can't make the grade at Scunthorpe he is no use to us.

Landells
05-01-2010, 07:20 AM
No chance, ain't gonna happen. :boo hoo:

VegasHibby
05-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Hope not !!!

marinello59
05-01-2010, 08:35 AM
please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why be so cryptic? Do you want him back or not?:greengrin

M8UDB
05-01-2010, 08:41 AM
:bitchy: No thank you. The big man did a good job for us but dont think he is good enough TBH, would much rather give some1 else a first chance than him a second!!

hibiedude
05-01-2010, 09:05 AM
There was also rumours circulating that the Gritters were out over the Festive period :bitchy:

Did he not move for family Reasons ?

James70
05-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I was very sorry to see him go but times have moved on and if there is any truth in this story I think it would be the wrong move for all parties. I can remember him being immense in his last few games at ER especially against the OF but he does have his limitations.

Dashing Bob S
05-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I was very sorry to see him go but times have moved on and if there is any truth in this story I think it would be the wrong move for all parties. I can remember him being immense in his last few games at ER especially against the OF but he does have his limitations.

I agree completely with every word. A great backs-to-the-wall centre half, who definitely is effective at what he does. For example, we would never have capitulated so tamely against the Huns with him in the team. However, we have aspirations towards playing a more expansive game and he defends too deep for my liking.

Sad, and a little surprised that it hasn't worked out for the big chap down there, but Scunny are a club going nowhere, and he ought to have held out for the likes of Forest or Leeds.

danger1875
05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
No thanks for me. Not sure that he would add anything to the defence the way yogi wants his defenders to play

J-C
05-01-2010, 10:12 AM
No ta, a big lump in the air and hoofed the ball anywhere he could, we need a CH with more skill and guile.

He left to go to Scunthorpe for god's sake, that's a step down from Hibs, so obviously money was more important to him.

Baw187
05-01-2010, 10:45 AM
No ta, a big lump in the air and hoofed the ball anywhere he could, we need a CH with more skill and guile.

He left to go to Scunthorpe for god's sake, that's a step down from Hibs, so obviously money was more important to him.

100% not the case. As ten billion people and their dog have said, there were family reasons behind his move back down south - fairly significant ones from what I am led to believe. If what I have been told is true, he played with us almost a full year under difficult circumstances regarding his family when he really probably needed / wanted to be down south with them. Can't blame him in the slightest for leaving.

As for taking him back - no thank you whatsoever as I never really rated him. Had a few decent games here and there but not good enough for where I am hoping Yogi is taking us.

AugustaHibs
05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
He'd be a cheap replacement for Bamba.

Not As good as bamba To be honest.

steakbake
05-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Wasn't he also allegedly, the ring leader of the unrest in the team which saw Collins struggle to manage them?

Cropley10
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
100% not the case. As ten billion people and their dog have said, there were family reasons behind his move back down south - fairly significant ones from what I am led to believe. If what I have been told is true, he played with us almost a full year under difficult circumstances regarding his family when he really probably needed / wanted to be down south with them. Can't blame him in the slightest for leaving.

As for taking him back - no thank you whatsoever as I never really rated him. Had a few decent games here and there but not good enough for where I am hoping Yogi is taking us.

This is a funny one - I've also heard this was a bit of an urban myth and that it wasn't true. Does anyone really know?:confused:

Wasn't he also allegedly, the ring leader of the unrest in the team which saw Collins struggle to manage them?

I think it was alleged at the time yes:devil:

brog
05-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Rob's been & gone & I'm sure it will remain that way but I'll always remember him fondly. Firstly, although he's obviously not the most cultured player I never saw him give less than 100%. More importantly for his great goal in the 81% game but most of all for setting us on our way to 5 goals in a cup final, an unparalleled feat in our glorious history!!
Good luck Rob, whatever your footballing future holds.

Hibee_Lisa
05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
No chance he will be back,but he is better than Hogg therefore an improvement.

Baw187
05-01-2010, 01:49 PM
This is a funny one - I've also heard this was a bit of an urban myth and that it wasn't true. Does anyone really know?:confused:

I couldn't say with any certainty that it's true, but the guy who told me this claims his source is a Hibs player. I know that he has a link to this particular player and that if I was to trust any player, it would be this one ! :greengrin Not to mention that I trust the guy who told me as he is not known for being a slaver.

Still - my trust in this guy could be missplaced and he could be talking Michael Knight !! :greengrin

Golden Bear
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Rob's been & gone & I'm sure it will remain that way but I'll always remember him fondly. Firstly, although he's obviously not the most cultured player I never saw him give less than 100%. More importantly for his great goal in the 81% game but most of all for setting us on our way to 5 goals in a cup final, an unparalleled feat in our glorious history!!
Good luck Rob, whatever your footballing future holds.

:agree:

If Bamba is on his way out then I'd certainly welcome the Big Yin back.

He may have had his weaknesses (which player doesn't?), but he had far more good games than he did poor games.

Captain Trips
05-01-2010, 04:12 PM
A bit surprised to see a lot of people against this one, yes he isnt the greatest but if he is worse than the options we have now for CB then he should retire. IMO good enough.

yekimevol
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
i would take him back and put bamba back in the middle of the park so that way theres some muscle in the middle of the middle of the park

Long suffering
05-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I am amazed at people's memories of Jones. The truth is he was outstanding last season and looked like he single-handedly kept Hibs afloat in some games. IMO it would be excellent if we got him back. He was a fantastic captain for us and just because things haven't worked out for him at Scunthorpe it does not mean he couldn't come back and do the job that he did for us less than a year ago.

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-01-2010, 06:43 PM
This sounds/smells like a jambo wind up :cool2: imo

Cocaine&Caviar
05-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Would be a backwards step IMO, has a real lack of pace that makes u play a lot deeper. Would prefer the highly rated, and once linked Tamika Mkandawire who has been getting a lot of good reviews down south.

Hibee_Lisa
05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I am amazed at people's memories of Jones. The truth is he was outstanding last season and looked like he single-handedly kept Hibs afloat in some games. IMO it would be excellent if we got him back. He was a fantastic captain for us and just because things haven't worked out for him at Scunthorpe it does not mean he couldn't come back and do the job that he did for us less than a year ago.

:top marks

Landells
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd take Jones back in a instant and as Lisa said he is better than hogg.

truehibernian
05-01-2010, 07:09 PM
His best form (which was good) coincided with him wanting a move away. There are better, younger, hungrier central defenders out there who will do more at Hibs than big Rob Jones. Was always disappointed how the big man reacted to defeats or goals against, and IMO, a big reason for Maka's hesitancy and low confidence. Good guy, gave his all, poor captain when up against it or those around him needed a confidence boost, and don't want him back. Would far rather have Anderson.

HibbyAndy
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Id take Jones back yes.

But he wont come back as he wanted back down South LONG before he eventually did leave.

Wont ever happen.

Gmack7
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I dont think it will but would be happy enough if it did.he is better than thicot/hogg, imho

truehibernian
05-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I think it's hard to judge Thicot given we have only really seen him in a Mixu side, playing essentially as a defensive midfielder. He aquitted himself really well at centre half alongside Murray when he played there last season. Seems to me like he would be an ideal "footballing" centre half.

ronaldo7
05-01-2010, 07:30 PM
No thanks.

I'll take someone in the sloop John B mould please yogi:thumbsup:

mjhibby
05-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Erm i do believe i started this rumour ages ago.No truth in it whatsoever.just need the papers to run with it mind till it quickly is forgotten about.:greengrin

Alex Trager
06-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Just been watching hughes' latest interview and he said he would gladly take joenes back at ER, so this is really just a shout out for the interviewer , cos this is the only place he would have heard it so he must lurk around here , nothing wrong with that like, but just good to see he has a wee swanne

snooky
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by snooky
When they go, they go. Okay, Nid & Deeks are exceptions. Indeed they are, but why are they so special?? Let me guess - "because they're one of us"??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not that it's going to happen, but I'd take Jones back in a New York minute.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry LyonHibs, that wasn't clear. I meant that they left and they are back.

hibztilltheend
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Just been watching hughes' latest interview and he said he would gladly take joenes back at ER, so this is really just a shout out for the interviewer , cos this is the only place he would have heard it so he must lurk around here , nothing wrong with that like, but just good to see he has a wee swanne

:agree: and he also mentions daryl duffy and jack wilshere but the later might be pushing it abit.

Cropley10
06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I think it's hard to judge Thicot given we have only really seen him in a Mixu side, playing essentially as a defensive midfielder. He aquitted himself really well at centre half alongside Murray when he played there last season. Seems to me like he would be an ideal "footballing" centre half.

Thicot's slower than a week in the jail. He makes Zarabi look quick. Hate to say it but Thicot's a player whose career is going nowhere.

Alex Trager
06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
:agree: and he also mentions daryl duffy and jack wilshere but the later might be pushing it abit.

Na that was Hughes that done that not the interviewer , but he did then say i'm winding you up

GreenBlade
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
i would take him back and put bamba back in the middle of the park so that way theres some muscle in the middle of the middle of the park

Well said young man! Some of the guff being written on the subject of Jones is frankly laughable! Best by far was "not Hibs class"!!!! Not bad considering the last decent centre half we had was Craig Paterson.

A Blades fan at work was at Scunthorpe this season and he said Jones was a standout during United's 3 -1 defeat. The Bamba fans on here are the same guys who called him a tit last season!

OxoHibby
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
This sounds/smells like a jambo wind up :cool2: imo:yawn:

I might not have 7423408423 posts to my name but I am 100% definately no yam

Only passing on rumours that I heard from mates in Scunthorpe.

I don't see it as the right signing for Hibs. From what I have seen of Yogi's team, I think Jones would be a backward step.

RIP
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Over the last few seasons I have been tickled by all the Yam Moles who trot on to Hibs.Net to attack our club captains

Jones
Hogg

It goes without saying that if it wasn't for our goalie weakness over the past few seasons we would have been boasting the top defence in the SPL since 2007

As for the Yams their captaincy has been a poisoned chalice

Nae wonder the kickbackers have a go at ours :jamboak:

Hibee_Lisa
06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Nothing to do with him coming back but my Dad threw away a picture I had of the big guy signed so my Dad sent a picture off to Scunthorpe and asked if he could sign it for me which he did and sent it back to me today :thumbsup: Probably sad considering I am 20 :greengrin but nice of him to do so nonetheless.

1875godsgift
06-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Nothing to do with him coming back but my Dad threw away a picture I had of the big guy signed so my Dad sent a picture off to Scunthorpe and asked if he could sign it for me which he did and sent it back to me today :thumbsup: Probably sad considering I am 20 :greengrin but nice of him to do so nonetheless.
Why did he throw it away? Was it because he was angry when he moved?:greengrin

Hibee_Lisa
06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Why did he throw it away? Was it because he was angry when he moved?:greengrin

Nah my Dad was never to keen on him anyway. :greengrin